Characters from the fancomic Nightfall
open/close all folders
- Drop the Hammer: Hammerkind Strife Specibus.
- Interspecies Romance: Is the desired subject of this by Vriska Serket. After a while, he accepts, though he requests it be done a slower pace. They even go on a moonlit stroll through a park!
- Nice Guy: Part of what helps him with Vriska.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: He's implied to have some clue that Vriska liked him.
- Oblivious to Love: Doesn't seem to notice Vriska's feelings toward him.
- At first. Later on, he decides to talk things over with her properly, and slow the relationship down to a reasonable (but still clearly romantic) pace.
- Sexy Shirt Switch: A non-erotic version with Vriska. He starts wearing t-shirts and jackets with her Zodiac sign on them. Dave teases him for it and its implications.
- They Would Cut You Up: His main worry about Vriska, and the reason why he keeps her indoors. At Halloween and later, he relents. In Act III, with the Shinobi's anti-Troll false flag in action, he is once again afraid of this.
- Beam-O-War: Temporarily with Hades, she loses.
- Dual Wielding: With her wands.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: When dressed as Vriska, she has the differing horns on her headband and one torn sleeve and one okay one.
- I Will Only Slow You Down: Says so to Vriska when Terlock has her by the throat, saying that rescuing her will only get her killed and to just leave.
- Secret Secret-Keeper: Temporarily, she figured out Vriska was living with John pretty quickly (after Vriska cut herself and left blood on the floor), and keeps it a secret, eventually telling John and letting it come out on its own.
- Sit Com Arch Nemesis: Becomes one to Vriska.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Major Injury Under Reaction: After Hades slashes him he goes down, but after the fight he's just crudely dressed his gaping wounds with Vriska's coat and is back to snarking.
- Metaphorgotten: Goes on a long rant about having the spies arrested for fashion crimes and detailing how the fashion police operate, Rose pokes holes in some of his references.
- The Slacker: Lampshaded.
- Stylistic Suck: What he intends to make the Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff Movies be like. As such he doesn't bother to learn math or filming techniques, Rose points out that this goes against the trope and his "irony" because he'd have to know the medium in depth to intentionally fail at it, otherwise they'd just be regular acts of incompetence, and not stylistic.
- Sunglasses at Night: And a copy of Dirk's shades on Halloween.
- Always with You: Says that Bec's always with her, manifesting her ears as proof.
- Dude, Not Funny!: In-Universe when they find a dead cat and the words bad dog written in blood.DAVE: somebody is obviously pissed at their dogDAVE: points for creativity in the scoldingJADE: that wasnt very funny
- My Instincts Are Showing: Downplayed when she and Dave find a dead cat in an alleywayJADE: im a little ashamed to say itJADE: but that cat smells deliciousDAVE: oh hello there bec when did you get here
- Ascended Fangirl: She's a huge Pokemon fan, and that comes back to her when Rufioh's Fiduspawn combines wither her Weavile plush to create a monster of her very own.
- Big Brother Bully: Lives with one.
- Deceased Parents Are the Best: Her parents are dead and her brother is her only care-giver, he makes it clear that it's just in her head and they really just left.
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: Get's a Weavile Plush and is inseparable from it.
- Fangirl: Pokemon
- Shout-Out: Numerous to the Pokemon Franchise, her initial strife is even patterned off a trainer battle.
- Cool Shades: Not so much. They're cracked now.
- Future Me Annoys Me: Does not get on well with his past self, due to the implications of himself picking up Time Travel again.
- Godzilla Threshold: It's outright stated that Dave would not have gone time traveling unless something truly dire happened. John's death at the Shinobi's hands is this event.
- Manly Tears//Not So Stoic: Weeps on seeing how beautiful the past world is, compared to the war-torn hell it will become in his timeline.
- Scarf Of Asskicking: Seems like Lord English's scarf. It gives him the ability to travel in time and a handy displacement weapon when thrown.
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong: His mission. But thanks to the rules of time travel, his help must be done through cryptic hints and small assists. At first.
- Anime Hair: Not as bad as the Makaras'. It seems to be a result of lot's of hair gel.GARY: I need it to make my hair look shounen and heroic!
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Graduated from HarvardKATE: Is that why you hired him in the first place? Stupidity insurance?BOSS: He graduated from Harvard with an honors degree.KATE: Right, I keep forgetting that.GARY: How do you keep forgetting?KATE: Because youre you.
- CloudcuckoolanderKATE: Sir, Im not even sure what reality you are in touch with anymore.
- Cool Shades: Dave says they have awesome taste in eye-wear, Rose says it makes them look suspicious.GARY: See these glasses Kate.GARY: Its a responsibility for us to act cool whenever we are wearing them.
- Imperial Storm Trooper Marksmanship Academy: He successfully didn't shoot himself in the foot, that means he's improving. Now if only he could get the tiny little computer in his gun to work and aim for him.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Lampshaded"KATE: at least. AT LEAST. You can make a damn plan before you jump in there and fuck shit up."
- Noodle Incident: He seems to have been behind a few like here.KATE: the Tofu thing was crazy enough, but then you became absolutely convinced, that the only way to save the universe was by winning a game of baseball. Surely, there has to be some kind of method to your madness."
- Pre-Mortem One-Liner: Attempted and failed, as are all of Gary's attempts at being lethal, or cool.KATE: Spend more time aiming than coming up with bad one liners.GARY: But that's the most important part!
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Wild, irrational, ditzy red. Though when talking to the boss he swaps places with Kate.
- They Changed It, Now It Sucks!: In Universe The 10th Doctor is better than the 11th"You swear, once you find the person who keeps putting up these dumb posters, you will give them a huge lecture explaining why David Tennant is the best Doctor, and why Matt Smith is just plain awful."
- Those Two Bad Guys: While Ineffectual Sympathetic Villains at worst and Hero Antagonists at best they easily fit the dynamics, Gary is the unfocused crazy one. In addition, their conversations usually clew in their motives or give information about their mission.
- "You have a passion for red bow ties, solely because of your favorite Doctor Who character. You love bow-ties so much, you glued one to your hat."
- Celeb Crush: To Matt Smith as seen in Kiss the PosterWhat? No that is absolutely ridiculous! You never know who could be watching. Yet, the alluring sight of the wondrous Matt Smith beckons.
- Cloudcuckoolander's Minder: Someone needs to keep tabs on Gary.
- Deadpan Snarker: Invoked.
- Don't Call Me "Sir": Inverted, she calls Gary Sir because it annoys him.
- Nice Hat: With Bow-Tie.
- Non-Standard Character Design: She has blonde hair that isn't colored white.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Calm composed Snarky blue, though she swaps with Gary when talking to the boss becoming more casual and disrespectful.
- Straight Man: To Gary.
- Those Two Bad Guys: While Ineffectual Sympathetic Villains at worst and Hero Antagonists at best they easily fit the opposite dynamics, Kate's the focused snarky one.
- Tomboyish Ponytail
- Disappointed in You: When Vriska gets angry and is about to throw a chair Dad gives her some "STERN FATHERLY DISAPPROVAL" and she puts it down.
- Disapproving Look: Gives John the "Evil Eye" for staying out too late on Halloween. Him not being drawn with eyes is a non-issue.
- Nice Hat
- Unexplained Recovery: All characters underwent this, but John's Dad was pretty definitively dead in the main canon.
- A Death in the Limelight: He gets an introduction page and a bit of screen time before Cristyle offs him.
- Black Eyes of Evil: More dark red, but the effect is the same. This comes from his cybernetic enhancement.
- Brainwashed: Seemingly so by the Shinobi for their Earth attack. He is now a gleeful psychopathic alien raider.
- Came Back Wrong: After being brought back as a cyborg, he is definitely not the Tavros we used to know.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: Still has the robot legs from when Kanaya bisected him.
- Hollywood Cyborg: This is what he is now, thanks to the Shinobi. This "upgrade" comes complete with a metal faceplate, cybernetic optics, increased durability, and a drill attachment.
- Killed Off for Real: Cristyle threw Karkat's sickle into his chest and put him down.
- That said, Kanaya discovered that his body had been dragged from the morgue.
- Resurrected for a Job: The Shinobi steal his corpse, then resurrect (or clone) him as a cyborg for their false flag gambit on Earth.
- Slasher Smile: Gains one during his attack on Earth.
- This Is a Drill: Like Troll Kamina, his lance has a drill function.
- Post resurrection, he has one hand replaced with a drill attachment.
- Those Two Bad Guys: Becomes this with Gamzee for the Shinobi's false flag attack.
- Walking Spoiler: Doesn't appear important at first. That changes after his death.
- Ho Yay: Tavros speaks of an invitation to join Rufioh's "Torchlight Yaoi Rituals" and for him to be "Honorable Uke." Tavros declines.
- Expy: Still to Rufio from the film Hook but also in universe he lampshades that Fiduspawn is this to Pokemon.
- Nice Guy: As in canon, he's still friendly and personable.
- Rebel Leader: Leads the Lost Boys out in the wilderness against the Seadwellers.
- Big Damn Heroes: Saves Karkat from Kankri after Kankri tried to have him executed.
- Gadgeteer Genius: He and Equius work with their Dancestors to improve Technology on Alternia.
- Insanity Defense: Mocked: He claims that interfering with Karkat's trial and saving him were because of his bipolar disorder, and that Kankri cannot hold that against him, because that would go against his crusader logic.
- Speech Impediment: His teeth have come back so his lii2p has returned.
- Anger Born of Worry: As usual for him. When he hears about Hades's Halloween attack on the Kids, he immediately pesters John with vitriolic demands that he tell him what happened.CG: JOHN EGBERT.CG: YOU PATHETIC WASTE OF OXYGEN.CG: WHAT IN ALTERNIAS NEW AND CONTINUED EXISTENCE HAVE YOU GOTTEN YOURSELF INTO THIS TIME?EB: hey karkat.EB: its been a while!EB: how come we never talk.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Was afraid of telling Vriska and John the reason for his presence on Earth because of how violently Vriska would react.
- Clear My Name: Cristyle shape shifts into him to murder Tavros and seemingly murder Meenah. All the cameras missed any evidence of shapeshifting, and Terezi's alibi is ignored.
- Complaining About Rescues They Don't Like: When Sollux rescues him, he's glad, but angry that there wasn't a solid plan.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Also as usual. Most of the "Jerk" manifests in his usual vitriol and his attitude towards Vriska.
- The Farmer and the Viper: Thinks this about Vriska, and that a return to backstabbing is imminent. Neither John nor Vriska take this attitude well.
- Fantastic Racism: He doesn't regard humans very well and even gives Sollux an (animated) lecture about them."Humans are a surprisingly imm9ral and 6rutish 6unch."
- Hypocrite: Possibly he tells Karkat to give up his ambition, but when the opportunity comes he seizes leadership for himself. It's unclear if Kankri's being hypocritical, or if he was just trying to discourage Karkat and take power for himself.
- Insane Troll Logic: Pun aside, Kankri's logic is always sort of shaky when he takes charge he banishes all the laws because he believes that his new system is so perfect nobody will be compelled to break any laws.
- Inspector Javert: If he doesn't have anything to do with Meenah's death he's this to Karkat.
- Jerkass: Way more than he ever was in canon. The Kankri we know may be a total douchebag, but it's doubtful he'd ever be quite so willing to murder his own descendant.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Subverted, he tells Karkat that it would be inappropriate for a mutant like them to take the throne as they would not live the length needed to serve the people and he should just give up his ambitions. The First thing he does when Meenah's supposedly killed is take over.
- Political Correctness Gone Mad: As in canon he goes to ridiculous lengths to stamp out anything he considers offensive to anyone bar whatever Porrim's on about again. He's even started a blog that Gary reads.
- Tyrant Takes the Helm: After Meenah is deposed. All laws he disapproves of are thrown out, all positions (save for his, of course) abolished and replaced.
- Unwitting Pawn: Emperor Nero plays him like a fiddle.
- Alien Arts Are Appreciated: She's expressed an interest in Earth and all the interesting scenery and culture.
- Chainsaw Good: Still in possession of her Lipstick Chainsaw, and still using it to cut Topiary.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: One hooked horn, one pointed horn.
- Nice Girl: As in canon.
- Kicked Upstairs: In-Universe, she was promoted to be the Mail lady by Kankri who informs her that her new job is more important than her job as a Legislacerator. Terezi's response is:"WH4T TH3 FUCK 1S M41L"
- La Résistance: Forms one to overthrown Meenah, at Meenah's insistence because she's bored.
- Anxiety Dreams//Bad Dreams: Continually suffers these throughout the story, the subject matter usually concerning her murderous past coming back to haunt her future. Most if not all of these are seemingly instigated by Sylja... and at least once, a dead, short-haired future self of Vriska.
- The Atoner: For her murderous and cruel deeds before and during Sburb's session. She genuinely regrets them, and deeply fears reverting to type.
- Catapult Nightmare: At least once.
- Cheshire Cat Grin: Seems to be her default expression around John.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: As far as Vriska is concerned, John is hers. Rose (despite stating that she's not interested in John that way) gets the worst of Vriska's behavior on that front (Vriska's scream of rage at Rose saying "I pity John" is telling), slowly cooling to a sort of peace once the two better understand each other. Karkat also receives a bit of this for his past caliginous feelings for John, but that time appears to have been half-joking.
- Cute Little Fangs: Most apparent when she's in a good mood.
- Deadpan Snarker: Particularly in dealing with Liz. Where Rose is concerned, she tends more toward the violent temper she shows in canon.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: One hooked horn one dual pointed horn. Karkat even comments on how bizarre it is.
- For Halloween, I Am Going as Myself: Vriska is able to pass off her alien appearance as a costume (though she still dresses as a pir8) for Halloween.
- Hugh Mann: Played With. At first, John tries to get her grey skin covered with winter clothes and her horns with a sombrero (since he's John, part of the reason was to prank her). After that, she just dresses normally and goes out with her face and horns exposed. She explains to Karkat that it's because people just assume she's just a normal girl with horns and grey face paint.
- Interspecies Romance: Wants this with John Egbert. After a while, he accepts, though he requests a slower pace.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Moreso than ever on both counts, as little as that may be saying.
- Kill the Ones You Love: She is scared of this possibility, having had a dream about a future self murdering John.
- Reformed, but Not Tamed: She may be lovey-dovey with John, and has put her murderous habits behind her (she hopes), but she's still abrasive, egotistical, violent, and impulsive.
- Sexy Shirt Switch: A non-erotic version with John. Without much comment on her end, she starts wearing his jackets and t-shirts.
- Sitcom Archnemesis: Becomes one with Rose for a while, with acts ranging from doodling in her notebook to various Clingy Jealous Girl antics.
- Slasher Smile: She's still got it.
- Smitten Teenage Girl: Towards John. Vriska traveled all the way to Earth specifically looking to stay with him. She looks so (non-maliciously) happy around John (usually) that it's almost surreal. That said...
- Tsundere: Like you wouldn't believe. From her usual mockery, to teasing half-strangulation-into-would-be-confession, to bitching out John for faking being oblivious, to a Forceful Kiss, to wearing John's outfits.
- Archer Archetype: He's trying, while his skills with the bow are unknown he's still unable to fulfill the archetype proper, with the stoicness and grace. Though he does disobey orders when he considers them unjust.
- Call-Back: Refusing to execute Karkat on Kankri's orders calls to two things:
- One, when Darkleer did not stay his hand against the Sufferer.
- Two, when he stayed his hand against Gamzee for hemospectrum/fetishistic reasons, and so doomed both himself and Nepeta. Now, he stays his hand for a much better reason.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: One horn is still broken.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Works with Sollux and their Dancestors to improve technology on Alternia.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Like Vriska, he shows more of this than he did in canon, refusing to kill Karkat despite the evidence and despite the latter being of the lowest blood caste possible.
- Sunglasses at Night: "D—> These fudging sunglasses make it so difficult to see"
- Would Not Shoot a Good Guy: Refuses to Execute Karkat after he's been found guilty.EQUIUS: D—> ...EQUIUS: D—> I was uninformed
- Ambiguously Evil: It's uncertain as to whether or not he's pulled a HeelFace Turn.
- Monster Clown: As ever.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Short version: You can't keep the clown down, long version Gamzee and Kurloz have caught onto the Shinobi's infiltration tactics, and Gamzee's in more control of his mental facilities.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: When he get's mad.
- Scars Are Forever: Still has the three scars he gave himself.
- Number Two: Seemingly this to Feferi.
- Silly Reason for War: Thinks the wi-fi war is stupid, and needs to be done with one way or another.
- Sour Supporter: He helps Feferi manage the seadwellers, but thinks her methods are not working much, if at all.
- Big Damn Heroes: Saves Meenah from a group of incensed seadwellers after the former unexpectedly survives her assassination attempt.
- The Pollyanna: As usual. However, because her methods haven't stopped the wi-fi war, her attitude is a bit strained at times.
- Morality Chain: Keeps Eridan from leading the seadwellers in his usual doomsday ideas.
- Disney Villain Death: Impaled and chucked off her tower.
- Disney Death: As per the laws of Homestuck, not really.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: Parodied
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: By Cristyle with her own trident.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Wasteful spending and grouchiness aside, she clearly puts a high value on her friends.
- Jive Turkey: It is still Meenah.
- Never Found the Body: Tossed off her tower and into the stream, where it washed the body away. Sure enough, a few hundred pages later, she's still alive and...arguably well.
- Broken Bird: Regular Vriska was already a psychologist's field day, John's death enough to snuff out her ego and take-charge attitude.
- Dream Weaver: Together with Sylja, she aims to get messages through this way to her past self.
- Heartbroken Badass: John is dead in her timeline, and this was enough for a complete personality 180.
- Important Haircut: Wears her hair much shorter than usual. She says that it was not her choice.
- Older and Wiser: Moderately. She's much less dramatic and rash.
- Prophet Eyes: May or may not be a mark of death.
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong: Together with Future Dave, this is her mission.
- Abusive Parents: Not much regard for Cristyle, and he's the reason Hades is so maimed
- A God Am I
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Drops Gamzee and Kurloz with little effort.
- Big Bad: As the leader of the Shinobi and mastermind behind their plans.
- Knight Templar//Well-Intentioned Extremist: Seems to believe that everything he does is for the good of the Shinobi, no matter how abhorrent or needlessly-cruel.
- Large and in Charge: Heʻs pretty tall heʻs compared to Terlock whoʻs about regular sized.
- Manipulative Bastard: Plays on human fears of the unknown in his false flag ploy on Earth, then plays Kankri for a patsy.
- Would Hurt a Child: Casually impales a Shinobi child who showed a God Tier symbol, claiming that she was infected.
- Cat Folk
- Cheshire Cat Grin: Default expression.
- The Dragon: To Nero
- Expy: His planning and quotes liken him to the Draconian Dignitary.
- Old Friend: Implicitly with Nero
- Parental Substitute: Has more affection for Hades than his own father.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Hades and Nero.
- Sarcastic Devotee: To Nero.
- Slasher Smile: Frequently. Becomes pronounced with deviousness.
- Aliens Steal Cable: He watches a lot of Earth TV, and tends to think most of it's true, hence he's declared James Bond his potential rival.
- An Arm and a Leg: Courtesy of Nero
- The Brute: Inspite of Terlock's best efforts to try and get him to think.
- Does Not Understand Sarcasm
- Eye Scream: As punishment by Nero
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Missing one arm and eye.
- Highly Visible Ninja: As with the other Shinobi.Gary: look at that colorful dude, if he were some alien ninja you think he would dress in something besides bright, freaking red. Hes probably just a base jumper in a silly getup looking for attention.
- Honor Before Reason: Part of the reason he's The Brute.
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain: He's powerful murderous and wants to be taken seriously, he's also thick headed, Does Not Understand Sarcasm and prone to being just pathetic.
- Klingons Love Shakespeare: He's a big fan of Machiavelli.
- No Such Thing as Alien Pop Culture: Averted, according to him his race have movies and stories, but he likes Earthʻs betters, because they are 100% accurate.
- Peek-a-Bangs: His hair is styled to obscure the scarred half of his face.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red like his color scheme, to Terlock's blue.
- Single-Stroke Battle: With the Canis Minor.
- The Unfavorite: Downplayed, Nero regards him with the least respect, but he doesn't hold any of his other children in high regards either.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Pink, or Light Red, Gary and Kate can't decide.
- Animorphism: A white cat and Jade's dog.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Despite her rivalry with her brother Hades, she seems to get on with her sister Sylja, and is angry when she sees her being killed by Vriska in the future.
- Face Stealer: Implied, the forms she takes seemed to be gleaned by harming others.
- It's All About Me: Or putting Hades down.Hades: "I just know she is out there somewhere bragging about how much better she is than me again.That is pretty much the only thing she ever talks about besides herself."
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Inspite of her color scheme sheʻs the red to Syljaʻs blue.
- Shapeshifter Guilt Trip: Downplayed, she shifts into Karkat, and while it confuses Meenah, she still stabs her, but when she shifts into Aranea right in front of her Meenah hesitates long enough for Cristyle to get the better of her.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Very egotistical, and declares herself the best ever, in practice she needs work.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Blue
- Ambiguously Evil: Seems less evil than the rest of the Shinobi, whether or not that will change remains to be seen.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: Never speaks, be wary of her.
- Cute Mute: She never speaks and is probably the most adorable of all the Shinobi so far.
- Dark Chick
- Perpetual Smiler: Downplayed, but she's normally smiling a less threatening smile.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Cristyle's red.
- Klingons Love Shakespeare: Central American culture.
- Magnificent Moustaches of Mexico: He has acquired one.HADES: What is... that thing on his face?TERLOCK: Some human fashion style.TERLOCK: He calls it a "moustache".TERLOCK: It looks incredibly stupid.DON ELEFANTE: Yo no soy estupido! Tu eres el estúpido!
- Spell My Name with a "The": He's referred to as The Don sometimes.
- Ambiguously Evil: He says he's playing a different tone, and informs Terezi and Kanaya about future troubles. His text, dress and method of speech have all changes, suggesting a personality switch, but we don't know yet.
- The Atoner: Claims to be wanting to make up for the sins of past incarnations.
- The Blank: As in Canon
- Fan Nickname: Disco Scratch, Doc Funk
- Funny Afro: Of a constantly shifting Rainbow Color.
- Totally Radical: As befitting his new look."I dont want you to be harshing my mellow with all these whacked out lines sister."
- Vagueness Is Coming: He gives all sorts of vague predictions of the future like "two of [Terezi's] friends will hit the ground and dance no more" and does so, in his vague tone, to avoid spoilers.