open/close all folders
Captain Marcus Cromwell
Son of Richard Cromwell, the first human born in space. Already in his 40's, Cpt. Cromwell is a decorated officer of the ISA, SpaceTech, and Noah Defense Forces.
Tropes applying to Marcus Cromwell:
- Cannot Spit It Out: Marcus is obviously smitten with Commander Sweetwater, but her abrasive attitude and the fact that she's technically under his command prevent him from voicing his feelings.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Comes across this way sometimes in his journal/diary (rather graphically describing some of his crushes), though it doesn't really bleed into his actions.
- Deadpan Snarker: Cromwell is unfailingly polite to his superiors in public. However, he will snark it up privately over his more annoying, stuffy, or just plain arrogant superiors.
- The Determinator: It doesn't matter whether a pirate base easily obliterated two of the heaviest ships in the Noah Defense Force along with the Vice Admiral, Nigh Invulnerable alien AIs have taken over Earth, or one of the only way for your ship's resident AI to return has been destroyed, Cromwell will complete the mission or, barring that, Take a Third Option. Retreat is only an option when all other options are exhausted.
- Disappeared Dad: Marcus's father Richard was chosen to captain the Noah's Ark. After the Ark's disappearance in the wormhole, Richard and everyone else aboard were presumed dead. Nothing is revealed about Marcus's mother, so it is possible he grew up an orphan. Only decades later Marcus finds out that the Noah's Ark was not destroyed, but Richard is dead by the time Marcus finds the colony.
- A Father to His Men
- The Good Captain
- Human Popsicle: Marcus spends a decade in a stasis pod floating in the wreck of his ship in the vicinity of Phobos after the ship is crippled by Mega-Corp fighters.
- Stranger in a Familiar Land: After being woken up from survival sleep, Marcus finds out that the war between IASA and the megacorporations is over, and his side lost. The victors label him a hero, but Marcus realizes that Earth is no longer the same world he left a decade ago. He is glad to take the SpaceTech job that will let him be in space again.
- You Are in Command Now: In missions where the Angelwing strike force arrives as part of a larger battle group, especially under the command of Vice Admiral Norbank, Marcus frequently ends up having to command some or all the ships of the battle group when things don't go as planned.
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: Angel averts this, although she is, at times, insubordinate, despite her original programming as a subservient Japanese woman.
- But Now I Must Go: The final cutscene shows Angel saying goodbye to Marcus and departing Earth to battle the rest of the Mechanoids.
- Physical God: Angel becomes this as the game progresses, eventually surpassing the need for a "body".
- Spaceship Girl: After being uploaded into the Angelwing, Angel becomes this. It turns out that that was the Creators' plan all along.
- Deadpan Snarker: Oh boy. The sheer level of Snark-to-Snark Combat between her and Marcus is probably one of the best comedic highlight of what is otherwise a pretty dark story.Marcus: Miss Sweetwater-Sweetwater: Commander Sweetwater, if you don't mind, sir.Marcus: My apologies. Commander Sweetwater, please activate the camouflage device or else our beautiful friendship is going to be a short one.Sweetwater: As you wish, Captain. This bucket of bolts is merely imitating real camouflage technology; I can only hide it from Gorg sensors for a limited amount of time.Marcus: What? Why didn't you mention this before?!Sweetwater: You Didn't Ask.
- Phebotinum Girl: Her Psychic Powers allow her to cloak the Angelwing for a limited time, thanks to enhancements she received from the Ghosts. It puts a severe strain on her, though, until Angel fine-tunes the Angelwing's systems for her.Sweetwater: You know, Captain, if you weren't so busy being right all the time, you would've noticed that I've been sweating my ass off back here keeping us invisible! I've exceeded our estimated cloak time by 30%!'Marcus: What?! You mean you took a gamble on-?!Sweetwater: Gambling doesn't come into it. I know my mental capabilities and I trust them entirely. As for your mental capabilities...
- Raised by Wolves: Sweetwater has spent many years among the Ghosts. Her interactions with other humans tend to be filled with tension.
Captain Francis Delorain
- The Captain: A capable ship commander in his own right. Initially commanding the IASA corvette ISF Hawking, Francis is ambushed by two OSEC heavy corvettes and is rescued by Marcus aboard the Stiletto (the Hawking's sister ship). After the rescue, Francis remains aboard the Stiletto and then the Angelwing. After the arrival to the Noah system, Francis is given command of the tactical destroyer Sparta as part of the Angelwing Strike Group.
- Childhood Friends: Francis and Marcus were good friends before their fathers' disagreements over the Noah project drove the families apart. They met again as cadets and resumed their friendship. Both fought in the war on the side of IASA, and met again after Marcus was revived a decade later (meaning Francis is about 10 years older).
Commander Rudolph Veltman
- Badass Bookworm: Originally a scientist sent with the Angelwing to investigate the Shukenja Beta Space Station. After the arrival to the Noah system, Veltman is given command of the scout destroyer Brutus and proves himself to be a capable ship commander (although why anyone in Noah High Command thought it'd be a great idea to hand over the command of a warship to a scientist is not explained).
- Herr Doktor: Veltman exhibits a noticeable German accent.
Vice Admiral Arthur Norbank
- General Failure: It's not clear why the Noah High Command still sends this guy to command fleets into battle. His battles frequently end in embarrassing defeats or, at best, costly victories. His tactics boil down to More Dakka and Bigger Is Better. His most famous victory is largely the result of surprise, as the Gorg were expecting to fight the Vardrags and had never fought humans before.
- Iron Butt Monkey: While his tactics almost fail every time, he's seemingly able to shrug off anything. Survived from being blown up by the Raptors' Cataclysm missiles while the escape pods are seemingly caught in the blast, took a hit from a Gorg Siege Laser in the face, and even survived after the Mechanoids taken over his ship.
- Never My Fault: Norbank always blames his defeats on the incompetence of his subordinates or bad intel, despite others pointing out that he tends to ignore anyone else's advice or the intel he doesn't like. The strange thing, his superiors tend to believe him, despite tons of evidence to the contrary.
- One-Hit Wonder: Norbank does have one great victory to his name. The very first battle of the Noah fleet under his command involved a fight with the Gorg, who were completely surprised by the arrival of the previously-unknown humans, expecting the Technical Pacifist Vardrags.
- The Cavalry: Can play this in the second-to-last mission if you manage to preserve his ship earlier. He's clearly enjoying his role as savior, too.Zatuk: Haha! I would never shy away from such a battle! Your human chronicles shall sing my praises!
- Hot-Blooded: As befitting of a Gorg.Zatuk: I have been betrayed! Someone must have told them the location of this meeting. Well... if it's a battle they desire, they shall have it!! WARCRY, RED ALERT!!! Chief Marcus, this is our battle! You stay out of this!
- Just the First Citizen: Despite being the leader of the ruling Gorg clan, Zatuk never refers to himself as anything other than "Chief", which is also the rank of a ship commander.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Chief Zatuk is the de jure ruler of the Gorg Empire. However, being Proud Warrior Race Guys, the Gorg spend much of their time fighting amongst themselves, with the various clans vying for power, territory, and glory. Zatuk has to constantly fend off assassination attempts by both rival clans and his own dissatisfied clansmen. He does seem willing to broker a peace treaty with the Vardrags and the Noah colony in order to focus on the more pressing threat and will even personally show up in his flagship the Warcry to help you in the next-to-last mission (if you help him survive the latest assassination attempt).