- Airborne Mook: Neuroi Flyer Bots which come in Small, Medium, and Large varieties. The Neuroi Witches/Sorceresses count as Airborne Elite Mooks.
- Aquatic Mook: Neuroi Submarine Bots. Currently they come in Escort, Battleship, and Carrier varieties.
- Armor-Piercing Attack: The Neuroi developed Sonics to do this to witches.
- Back from the Brink: Due to a concentrated effort started by Berlin and continuing to the present, The Neuroi of Earth have largely pulled themselves from the brink of being annihilated.
- Beam Spam: While all Neuroi Bots could do this at first, Berlin has since improved on it. The Allied attempt to gain air superiority over Karlsland & Berlin ended disastrously due to newly developed homing lasers and latter on Berlin developed the Laser Artillery Bot to saturate entire areas of the battlefield in laser fire.
- Cute Machines / Adorable Evil Minions: Zig-Zagged by most Neurio bots; they have the ruthless efficiency of terminators but the personality of B-1s. Played straight by Emissary-Class Neuroi who are purpose built for human interaction.
- Elite Mooks: Large Flyers, Land Battleships, and Submarine Battleships might count due to their small numbers and large percentages. Played straight by Neuroi Witches/Sorceresses, the Neuroi's mook of choice for combating human witches and conducting commando raids to soften defenses or steal critical intel.
- Faceless Goons: Played straight by most Neuroi infantry and the Sorceresses. Averted by Emissary Neuroi who have digital displays to mimic human facial expressions.
- Giant Mook: Large Flyers, Ultra Heavy Walkers, and Land Battleships.
- Heavily Armored Mook: Large Flyers, Ultra Heavy Walkers, Submarine Battleships, and Land Battleships. They get even tankier when Berlin develops deflector shields.
- Kung Fu-Proof Mook: Neuroi Witches/Sorceresses, capable of fighting human Witches on equal terms.
- Mascot Mook: Berlin builds the Emissary to give the Neuroi a 'face' the humans can relate to.
- Mecha-Mook: Naturally, this applies to the Neuroi's robot army.
- Mini Mook: The tiny, beetle shaped, Infiltrators the Neuroi attempt to spread through the Human nations. The little guys try their hardest but are unable to do much more than eavesdrop.
- Mook Lieutenant: Sorceresses are this to ordinary Bots. Emissaries are this to Sorceresses. Emissary Zero Zero reports directly to Berlin and acts as his right hand when interacting with humans who have been captured, surrendered, or switched sides.
- Plasma Cannon / Kill It with Fire: Suez develops Plasma weapons, which are terrifyingly effective against late WW-II/early Cold War armor despite the Humans modifying the vehicles with magi-tech. The Africa Corps refer to them as firing Liquid Lightning after Suez breaks them and their morale. Berlin takes it a step further and develops versions for all Neuroi units, including infantry and Witches/Sorceresse. Afterwards, he tries to top himself by developing homing plasma.
- Punished for Sympathy: What the Neuroi Hives of Earth expect to happen if the Neuroi Nation finds out that they're no longer trying to kill everyone due to the fact that they are breaking Neuroi law.
- Robot Girl: The Neuroi Witches, latter renamed Sorceresses, look kinda-sorta human. Played straight by the Emissary Neuroi who are built to look human rather than fight.
- Shield-Bearing Mook: One of the tricks the Sorceresses copied from the Witches was the ability to protect themselves and others with magic deflector shields. Due to Berlin's research, all Neuroi bots latter gained the ability to do this.
- The Big Bad: From Humanity's perspective anyway. Though these days they're starting to look like the devil they know...
- A Form You Are Comfortable With: In order to better interact with humanity, he developed a more human looking Neuroi unit named the Emissary.
- Almighty Janitor: Originally a low ranking graduate student of the Neuroi mining company of Earth. He's become the de facto leader of the Neuroi survivors.
- Doing Research: Berlin's main shtick. The upgrades and new units he's designed have allowed the Hives to effectively kill Witches in combat and slowly but surely push back humanity.
- Evil Genius: If the humans knew he was behind most of the Neuroi's new technologies...
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Originally joined the "Invasion" of Earth to earn enough money to get into Neuroi graduate school.
- Mad Scientist: His research studies have been pretty out of the box compared to most Neuroi.
- Resigned to the Call: Unfortunately for him. In order to prevent the deaths of himself and the other hives, he's taken up being leader of the Earth Neuroi. Despite just wanting to go to the Neuroi equivalent of graduate school.
- The Hero: Naturally, since he's the protagonist character.
- The Leader: The other hives have pretty much deferred this to him.
- The Smart Guy: The Researcher of the Earth Neuroi Hives
- Behind the Black / Great Offscreen War: The Fahrong War is this to Suez and is the Main reason why he quits the Neuroi Military along with adopting a more pacifistic mindset.
- Cool Old Guy: He's the oldest of the Hives on Earth and he's been through a Lot.
- Hero Killer: Over the course of the game the Suez Hive has killed General George S. Patton, Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery, most of the witches in North Afrika and had General Erwin Rommel fleeing for his life.
- Memetic Badass: Due to his rather impressive list of achievements such as getting reinforcements to Berlin despite the Large amount of human forces he had to get through. His victory in Egypt despite being against Patton, Montgomery, And Rommel. His large kill list Of said human heroes. Along with other deeds. He's become favorably compared to being a cross of Solid Snake and Creed.
- Red Baron: Sueeeezzzz!!!
- Retired Badass: Oh yes. He may not want to kill anyone, but that doesn't mean he's forgotten how and will do so if he needs to as proven by his list of victories.
- Shellshocked Veteran: He's a veteran of the Fahrong War who was dismissed from service. He signed on with the mining expedition to get away from all the fighting.
- The Lancer: Suez is Berlin's de-facto second in command because he's the only one with previous military experience.
- The Mentor / A Father to His Men: Has relegated himself to the task of passing on knowledge and advice to his younger comrades.
- The Scrounger: The Land Battleship, a massive army killing unit that slaughters pretty much anything it comes across, is a unit blueprint that he 'forgot' to return when leaving the army.
- Fan Nickname: VV, or V-chan. Eventually became an In-Series Nickname.
- Genki Girl: Only when she's excited or interacting with Berlin
- Mighty Glacier: The Orussian army had spent several years "banging their heads against the wall that is Vladivostok" by the time the quest started. Then she went on the offensive, leading to...
- Lightning Bruiser: After years on the defensive, her armies drove hundreds of miles north towards the pole in the span of five or six months, all the while keeping her signature defenses strong enough to withstand any counter attack against her supply lines.
- Nuke 'em: VV developed the first nuclear weapons on Earth. Then used them on Romanga to devastating effect on all human forces present.
- The Chick: Doesn't really like violence. She relegated herself to defending her own territory and only went on the offensive in order to link up with her comrades via the arctic.
- Action Girl: Of course, just because she doesn't like fighting doesn't mean she can't fight.
- Wrench Wench: Vladivostok is the construction specialist of the four Neuroi Hives who designed a lot of the defensive technology they currently use and apparently is female.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: All the Neuroi think it's strange how he actually Likes to spend most of his time covered in water. But since this allows him to be the most knowledgeable about Naval Combat, it's generally overlooked. Not to mention the fact that he actually does things when compared to the Previous Atlantic Hive.
- Submarine Pirates: One of Atlantic's main job.
- The Sneaky Guy: Assassinated his (incompetent) superior then moved onto terrorizing the western allies with a campaign of submarine warfare. The first the Allies had any idea something was happening was when their convoys started mysteriously vanishing without a trace.
Previous Atlantic Hive
- Dirty Coward: When things went to shit, he was perfectly content to hide deep in the ocean and try to lay low. This eventually resulted in his subordinate killing him in an "Accident" and taking over his post.
- General Failure: Generally considered this along with the Super Hive. until his "accident"
- Rich Idiot with No Day Job: The only reason that he was on the mission to Earth in the first place was because his parents owned the mining company the Hives work for.
Dawn: Prototype Space Battleship
- Spaceship Girl: Be careful where you stick your magic engines.
- Airborne Aircraft Carrier : Her main schtick
Zenith: Assault Type Human Neuroi Hybrid
- Beware the Nice Ones: The Kyoto Hive learned this the hard way.
- Boxing Lessons for Superman: Currently getting sword fighting lessons form Mio They help. A lot.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Half human, half nano-machine, all kick ass.
- Nice Girl: Just really easy to get along with.
- Person of Mass Destruction: A very nice one, but still. She took on the Kyoto PMC Hive. The entire Hive. And won.
- Robot Girl: Zigzaged. She is more a human with cybernetic implants, but they're so complety intrgated into her that you couldn't even find them, much less remove them. Plus she was decanted that way so...
A Group of witches that survived the horrors of Unit 731. Due to their gratitude towards the Neuroi for saving them, These survivors have agreed to fight for the Neuroi.
- Action Girl
- Action Survivor: All the 731 witches due to surviving Unit 731.
- Artificial Limbs: Due to what happened in Unit 731. A lot of witches needed serious medical attention to survive. Luckily, they were picked up by Sufficiently Advanced Aliens.
- Badass Crew
- Band of Brothers: Regardless of their past, they can't help but look after one another after Unit 731.
- Fantastic Racism: After what they experienced at the hands of Unit 731. They're understandably bitter against anything related to Fuso including Yoshika and Mio.
- Befriending the Enemy: Let's go of most of her grudge in order to save Su-Hyun's life.
- Cool Big Sis
- Expy: Her appearance is based on that of Zuikaku.
- The Leader: Of The Face variety.
- Omniglot: Considering the fact that she's pretty much the go to person when it comes to diplomacy. It appears she has a lot of languages under her belt.
- One-Winged Angel: During the PMC invasion takes the Magic Enhancer from Su-Hyun and uses it to turn into a giant dragon which then proceeds to destroy all the enemy forces and Hives.
- The Dreaded / Terror Hero: Everyone from her home country, even good friends are terrified of her after her debut as a Dragonblooded. They have good reasons considering their history and previous displays by this variety of witch.
- Berserk Button: Even though all the witches from 731 have hangups about Fuso, she Really has it in for anything related to Fuso.
- Blood from the Mouth: Due to suffering Tuberculosis in Unit 731. Was healed by Yoshika later.
- Expy: Her appearance is based on that of Akagi.
- Hidden Army Reveal: As a Night Witch, this let's her and others like her to pull this.
- Really Royalty Reveal: A Justified Trope as due to the revelation that she is a member of the Ghost Queen variant of witches, which are always adopted into the Royal Family of Inchon.
- Intangibility: Due to being a Ghost Queen, she can phase out of reality.
- Taking the Bullet / Diving Save: Caused the first trope when she pushed Meiling out of the way of a cannon and landed in the path of the shot herself. Fortunately, she turned it into the second by unlocking Intangibility powers.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: Since she's apparently Royalty due to the Really Royalty Reveal, the fact that she's a witch fighting on the front lines makes her this.
- Big Brother Worship
- Before the Dark Times / Happy Flashback: When she practices her families martial art for the first time since Unit 731 and remembers a time before she was kidnapped.
- Kung-Fu Wizard: Due to being a martial artist and a witch.
- Never-Forgotten Skill: Her Families style of martial arts.
- Remembered I Could Fly: Due to all the horrors experienced in Unit 731. She was worried she'd forgotten most of what her family taught her. Luckily, her families martial art was a Never-Forgotten Skill, even if slightly atrophied, which kick started the rest of her happy memories involving her family.
- Slice-and-Dice Swordsmanship: Her particular style is close to Wushu spearsmanship, which involves lots of these.
- Weapon of Choice / Blade on a Stick - Gained a Chainblade spear that can fire lasers.
- Asian Speekee Engrish: Still learning English and does not like what her current comprehension level makes her sound like.
- You Are Not Ready: From Berlin, and offscreen by Su-Hyun and Meiling when she asks to be sent on missions like the rest of the 731 witches.
- I Can Still Fight!: What she believes of her injuries. Berlin, Su-Hyun and Meiling disagree.
Delia M. Jeram
Cecilia E. Harris
Minna-Dietlinde WilckeWing Commander, or Oberstleutnant, Minna Dietlinde Wilcke is the leader of the 501st joint fighter wing and the commander of the Karlsland Air Force. After the Neuroi appeared and her lover was killed, she gave up her dream of becoming a singer to join the Karlsland Air Force. Because of her traumatic past, the safety of her subordinates is her top priority. Despite her kind and gentle demeanor she will go to any lengths to protect her subordinates. She is even willing to issue orders specifically to prevent them from being hurt and she was the one behind the order forbidding male workers in the base from socializing with the witches. Her striker unit is based on the Messerschmitt BF109G2 and her weapon is the MG42 machine gun. Her character is named after the WWII ace Wolf-Dietrich Wilcke. One of the 501st, she was cornered and captured two months after the Fall of Romanga and remains a prisoner of the Neuroi.
- Extreme Omnivore: While not a Big Eater, Not only can Minna consume foods and drinks that the rest of the squadron can barely stomach, but she actually likes them. She even does this to the tasteless food paste the Neuroi gave their prisoners before they understood cooking. Naturally, other witches are baffled.
Sakamoto MioMajor Mio Sakamoto, the former second in command of the Strike Witches, worked with Yoshika's father on the Striker Units. As a veteran of the initial fights against the Neuroi, she is far tougher and more disciplined than most of the Strike Witches. Her primary job is to train new recruits and takes a no-nonsense "tough love" approach to her duties. As the former second in command of the Strike Witches she supports Minna and maintains discipline when out of battle. Her striker was based on the Mutsubishi Zero A6M3a in season one and the Kawanishi N1K in season two: in battle she carried a Type 99 13mm machine gun and a katana. Her character is named after WWII aces Saburo Sakai. She is known for her distinctive, hearty laugh. One of the 501st, she was cornered and captured two months after the Fall of Romanga and remains a prisoner of the Neuroi.
- Drowning My Sorrows: Her initial response to finding out what her country was doing in Unit 731.
- Off with His Head!: What she does to the Unit 731 scientist the Neuroi had captured
Gertrud Barkhorn ("Trude")Flight Lieutenant Gertrude Barkhorn is also one of the "Double Aces" of Karlsland. She holds the highest kill score over 250. She is disciplined and efficient: a very stereotypical German military personality. However to her friends Minna and Erica, whom she has known for a long time, she's slightly more open and friendly although she often yells at Erica for lacking discipline. She cares deeply about her little sister Chris, who was injured before the first season in a Neuroi attack. Her striker unit is based on the Focke-Wulf Fw190D-9 and her weapons are two MG42 machine guns with dual drum magazines. She is named after WWII ace Gerhard Barkhorn, the second highest scoring ace in history. One of the 501st, she ended up captured after the battle of Romanga and remains a prisoner of the Neuroi.
Erica HartmannFlying Officer Erica Hartmann is one of the "Double Aces" from Karlsland, having the second highest kill score in the world at just over 200. However her skill in the air and on duty is in sharp contrast with her disorganized and careless nature when off duty. She is a close acquaintance of Gertrude and Minna having served with them long before the creation of the 501st although, unlike Minna and Gertrude, she spends most of her time sleeping and eating, only getting up to investigate oddities and fight neuroi. Her striker unit is based on the Messerschmitt Bf109G-6 and her weapon is the MG42. She is named after WWII ace Erich Hartmann, the highest scoring ace in history. One of the 501st, she ended up captured after the battle of Romanga and remains a prisoner of the Neuroi.
Perrine H. ClostermannFlying Officer Perrine H. Clostermann is a rich Gallian noble that saw her home destroyed when the Neuroi invaded Gallia. She joined the Strike Witches in their liberation of Gallia to help free her homeland from the Neuroi. She admires Mio and quickly develops a dislike of Yoshika due to their closeness. Her dislike eventually turns to full blown jealousy as she challenges Yoshika to a duel. Eventually she does come to view Yoshika as a comrade, but still makes constant attempts to win Mio's attention and to make Yoshika look bad. Her striker unit is based on the Arsenal VG 39 and her weapon is the Bren Light Machine Gun Mk1. She is also seen carrying a rapier in some official art, which doesn't show up until midway through season 2. Her character is named after the WWII Ace Pierre Clostermann. One of the 501st, she was cornered and captured two months after the Fall of Romanga and remains a prisoner of the Neuroi.
- Watching Troy Burn: Got to witness the annihilation of Paris by a crashing Fahrong fighter via Neuroi surveillance systems.
Francesca LucchiniPilot Officer Francesca Lucchini is a talented and cheerful witch from the Duchy of Romagna. Unlike most other members of the 501st her past isn't marred by tragedy, she joined the Strike Witches out of a sense of duty to ensure that no harm would ever come to her beloved Romagna. However for all her lofty ideals she's still twelve years old and often acts childish or self indulgent like a typical twelve year old. Her energetic personality masks the fact that she's quite lazy. She'll often spend time napping around the base only waking up to change where she naps. However in the air, she displays a passion and talent for flying that nobody in the 501st can match. Her striker unit is based on the FIAT G-55 Centauro and her weapon is the Breda-SAFAT Machine Gun 12.7 mm. She is named after the World War II ace Franco Lucchini. One of the 501st, she was cornered and captured two months after the Fall of Romanga and remains a prisoner of the Neuroi.
Eila Ilmatar JuutilainenFlying Officer Eila Ilmater Juutilainen is the top ace of the Suomus witch corps where she held the rank of captain (the rank indicated by the three roses on her collar). She is an expert at reading people, allowing her to predict her companions' actions and outwit her enemies. Her ability to read people combined with her ability to see the future means that in the air she is nearly untouchable. She is so used to her mastery of evasion that she relies exclusively on dodging and has difficulty raising a shield. Her striker unit is based on the Messerschmitt Bf109G-2 and her weapon of choice is the Suomi KP/31 Sub-Machine Gun. She is named after the Finnish WWII ace Eino Ilmari Juutilainen the highest scoring non-German ace in history. One of the 501st, she was cornered and captured two months after the Fall of Romanga and remains a prisoner of the Neuroi.
Charlotte E. Yeager ("Shirley")First Lieutenant (later Captain) Shirley Yeager is a mechanical enthusiast from the United States of Liberion. She is a thrill seeking speedster and her goal is to break the sound barrier. Before the war, she raced motorbikes and set a land speed record. When she joined the 501st she modified her Striker unit to help her with her goal of breaking sound barrier. In addition to her obsession with speed she's also obsessed with cleanliness: even going so far as to have her personal bath shipped when she was transferred into the 501st. Her Striker Unit is based on the P-51 Mustang and her weapons of choice is the Browning Automatic Rifle M1918. She is named after American WWII ace Charles "Chuck" Yeager. One of the 501st, she ended up captured after the battle of Romanga and remains a prisoner of the Neuroi.
Alexandra Vladimirovna Litvyak ("Sanya")Flying Officer Alaxandra Vladimirovna Litvyak, or Sanya as she prefers to be called, is a shy Orussian witch in the 501st that often handles night patrol duties alone. Described as "nocturnal" she doesn't have a lot of contact with the other members of the 501st, but is essential for the unit's safety. Because of her lack of contact with the rest of the squad, she is only close to Eila and Erica although her compassionate and submissive personality means she's kind and accepting of everybody in the 501st. Sanya's father was an accomplished musician and taught Sanya how to play the piano and sing. He even wrote a song for her entitled 'Sanya's Song'. When the neuroi invaded Orussia, Sanya was separated from her father but maintains hope that he's still alive in Orussia and someday they'll be reunited. To remind herself, she often hums the song her father composed for her. Unlike the other girls, most of whom wield machine guns, she uses a rocket launcher called the FliegerHummer which is based on the Fliegerfaust, a contemporary German anti-aircraft rocket launcher. In season one her striker unit is based on the MiG60 a fictional fighter combining features of the MiG-1, MiG-3, and Yak-1: in season 2 her striker unit is based on the Yak-9. She is named after WWII ace Lydia Litvyak, one of just two female aces in real life. One of the 501st, she was cornered and captured two months after the Fall of Romanga and remains a prisoner of the Neuroi.
Lynette Bishop ("Lynne")Sergeant (later Master Sergeant) Lynette Bishop is a very personable, if a bit shaky, sniper from Britannia. Lynette is the middle child of eight siblings and was sometimes overlooked. Because of this, she's very domestic and painfully shy. She joined the Strike Witches shortly before Yoshika to help protect her homeland. Lynette is assigned to be Yoshika's roommate, where the two quickly become friends. Her striker unit is based on the Supermarine Spitfire Mk. IX and she lugs around a Boys Anti-Tank Rifle in battle. Her sister, Wilma Bishop, is named after the WWI Ace William Avery Bishop.One of the witches of the 501st. She ended up captured after the battle of Romanga and remains a prisoner of the Neuroi.
Miyafuji YoshikaSergeant Yoshika Miyafuji comes from a family of magical doctors on the island nation of Fuso. Her father was responsible for the creation of the Striker Unit, magically powered engines that amplify magic, to counter the Neuroi. However her father was killed in the war tainting Yoshika's perception of it. She was initially reluctant when Mio came to recruit her, but after helping to defend the Fuso fleet from a Neroi attack, she agreed to join the 501st Strike Witches. Yoshika's striker unit is based on the Mitsubishi Zero A6M3a and she carries around a Type 99 13mm machine gun. She's named after the WWII ace Kanayoshi Mutou. One of the 501st, she ended up captured after the battle of Romanga and remains a prisoner of the Neuroi.
- Darkest Hour: Finding out that her homeland of Fuso was in charge of Unit 731 just after becoming a captive of the Neuroi hits her really hard. Especially since the Neuroi actually showed her what Fuso was doing in there because some of the witches didn't believe them.
- Heroic BSoD: Experiences this after learning about Unit 731.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero! - Destroying the Super Hive actually caused the Neuroi to become Stronger.
- The Woobie: Becomes exceedingly depressed after learning about Unit 731.
Evelyn Westenberg ("Eve")A Witch captured by the Neuroi during the assault on Romanga. After getting used to Neuroi Hospitality, she's decided to make use of the opportunity and use the her time held in captivity to expand her knowledge.
- Commonality Connection: She and Berlin found out that they both like learning.
- Constantly Curious: She's curious about the world, and has begun learning about the universe from Hive Berlin.
- Doing Research: Generally what she does to pass the time while held in captivity by treating the Neuroi as her Omniscient Database.
- Holographic Terminal: Apparently developed with the help of Hive Berlin during her time helping him create a classroom so he could begin teaching the rest of the captive witches.
- Omniscient Database: Despite being invaders, the Neuroi Are Sufficiently Advanced Aliens. So the Neuroi know a lot more about the universe than Humanity.
Since the destruction of the Superior Hive, the 501st are hastily put to the defense of Romagna once again only to be forced to surrender into captivity by Berlin Hive when Romagna falls.
Admiral Carlo Bergamini:
- Worthy Opponent / The Rival: So much that the Neuroi took the time to write out and mail a letter to him to express their displeasure with him.
- The Seer: One of the Neuroi's most dangerous opponents because not only can he can see what they're doing as it happens, but also has the tactical & strategic skill to make use of it.
- Absolute Xenophobe: Will gladly murder any non-Neuroi in their path, as mandated by the imperial Neuroi Doctrine.
- Aliens are Bastards: In much the same way the Earth hives were under the leadership of the Superhive due to it being Neuroi Law.
- Evil Counterpart: To Hive 206. It remains to be seen if Berlin, Suez, Vladivostok, and Atlantic have individual Evil Counterparts.
- Psycho Rangers: 302 has many of the same units as 206, but higher tech and more powerful. Thankfully 206 has been researching magic and will have a few tricks up their sleeves.
- Private Military Contractors / Psycho for Hire: The Earth Invasion Fleet is made up of mercenaries hired by 302 to burn Earth to the bedrock in order to deny hive 206 AE. The main resource the Neuroi use to surive. Oh, and they naturally want to murder the Earth Neuroi Hives and Humanity.
- Walking Spoiler: Wow, look at all the empty space!
- Wake-Up Call Boss / Early-Bird Boss: When a Fahrong Military scout group appears. Bricks were shat.
- Elite Army: Combat forces are generaly low numbers of heavily armed and armored units as opposed to Neuroi swarms.
- Mind Rape / Brainwashing for the Greater Good: Their normal tactics against 'lesser' species involve turning them into slave soldiers and cannon fodder.
- Blue and Orange Morality: Have no issues with Nerve-Stapling humans and even see it as a wonderful gift they are giving to the natives.