This is the character sheet for nations on NationStates.
- Alternate Universe: Well, a sort of alternate-counterpart of the United Kingdom Europe to be exact.
- Characterization Marches On: Is slowly starting to improve, and his Daily Life In Astholm roleplay is OK.
- Early Installment Weirdness: In 2009, his first posts were not quite that good. The characterisation was poor and clunky. But he is slowly starting to move on.
- Expy: Of the United Kingdom (for his nations) and of Europe.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: Averted, but there is a lesbian couple in one of his RP's. Although he created lesbian couple Karla and Rani, it is definitely not for Fanservice but rather for diversity reasons, and we have Word of God on that.
- I Have Many Names: Well, he did until he took to his Theme Naming for logistical reasons.
- Slice of Life: His Daily Life in Astholm roleplay.
- Sliding Scale of Alternate History Plausibility: Types II and III are used, either for Rule of Cool or Rule of Funny.
- Spy Fiction: Has dabbled in stale beer flavoured, it being the industrial espionage genre involving VLT Automotive N.V. (which resulted in Celsan being sold off IC).
- Theme Naming: Has used multiple accounts, now starts them all with Astholm to ensure people know it is his alternate account.
- This Is a Work of Fiction: His signature on the site.
- Write What You Know: Automobiles make up the bulk of his posts, followed by British-related themes. Also writes on media topics too.
The Republic of Aurinsula is an Expy of conservative, militant East Asian democracies, particularly Taiwan and South Korea.
- Alternate History: Relies on this, but not to the extent that you'd think - it's very much an Expy of Taiwan, albeit considerably scaled up.
- Alt Itis: Both Aurinsula and Songhia, despite having completely unrelated histories, are played by the same person - the only example of this in Aurora to date. Their stories generally interact as little as possible.
- Faction Calculus: The Aurinsulans call their method of waging war the 'Pancake,' as distinguished from the Norvenian 'Cereal Bowl' or the Skorzenian 'Jelly Doughnut.' In short, their armed forces relies on being a big, durable, homogenized mass that can exhaust enemies through sheer attrition.
- Iron Lady: Their current president, Zhao Yingtai, is something like this (or at least tries to be).
- Mega-Corp: An enduring feature of their society, the largest ones have a huge influence over the country's politics.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: The Aurinsulans are unhappy about their dependence on foreign aide to fight the Skorzenians, but they know that they don't stand a chance without it.
- Translation Style Choices: Definitely option 2; Aurinsulans refuse to truck with phonetic transliterations of anything and always translate for meaning. They religiously track down the origins of foreign names and render them in their own language, however it might end up sounding. This works in reverse, too; the name of the country is a reverse-translation of its actual name, Jindao - meaning 'The Golden Island.'
- We Have Reserves: How Aurinsula prepares to fight a full-scale war. They have a book that rates the value of all their forces and those of the enemies, and are encouraged to make trades - kill 20 points of your guys at the cost of 15 points of our guys - without hesitation. Average soldiers are the cheapest thing in the book.
- Worthy Opponent: To Skorzenia; the Aurinsulans are very well-prepared for a fight with them.
The Kingdom of Afalia is an Expy of Australia with some Irish influences. A former Regnum Albion colony that gained independence in 1952 it is now a tolerant, stable, wealthy parliamentary democracy with a constitutional monarchy although since a terrible war in 2013 it has been going through the motions.
- Big Bad: Undoubtedly the biggest enemy of Afalians everywhere is the dictator of Titanica Jack Lazin, a fascist dictatorship which attacked Afalia in 2013 in the bloodiest war in its history. He is currently on trial for war crimes.
- Civil War: The Harling Terrors-the ongoing conflict between the Harling Freedom Army and army. The HFA is fighting for independence in a conflict suspiciously reminiscent of The Troubles.
- The High Queen: Queen Amelia of Afalia who became monarch in 2013 espouses beauty, kindness and wisdom despite her young age. Despite being a constitutional monarch she enjoys enormous respect and thus some power.
- Irish Priest: The minority of vicars in the Church of Afalia and the majority of priests found in Harling.
- Iron Lady: Chancellor of the Exchequer Jessica Shaw and to a lesser extent Queen Amelia.
- Kangaroos Represent Australia: Afalia's national animal the Volo is basically a kangaroo.
- Land Down Under: Much of Afalia is dense forest and bush, uninhabited except by the toughest of citizens.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Princess Laura, Queen Amelia's younger sister and future wife to Emperor Napoleon of Valyria, presents herself as a little stupid but has Hidden Depths. She is suspicious, jealous and power hungry and wishes to not only be simply powerful but the power behind the throne.
- Our Presidents Are Different: Prime Minister Christopher Kelly is a mixture of President Iron and President Personable although he will soon be a Retired Badass.
- Penal Colony: Colonists set up a penal colony in Afalia at the same time as the free colonies during the first wave of settlement.
- The Vicar: 95% of Church of Afalia vicars are like this.
- Western Terrorists: The Harling Freedom Army from Harling Island who demand independence from Afalia. They are the main side, along the Royal Afalian Army, in the Harling Terrors conflict.
The Federal Republic of Bratoslovoukia is the largest nation in Aurora by area, and is its Expy of Russia and the Soviet Union. Bratoslovoukia recently lost a war with Norvenia and the Cookish States, leading it to reform its political system.
AKA the Trekboer Republic of Lydenburg.
- Amoral Afrikaner: White Lydenburgers in a nutshell.
- Black and Grey Morality: Both the white regime and the black guerrillas attempting to overthrow it have harassed or abused innocent civilians.
- Dirty Commies: Anybody who opposes colour bars is clearly one.
- Maligned Mixed Marriage: Possibly the greatest social taboo.
- Bad Cop/Incompetent Cop: The Lydenburg National Police are above the law. They don't answer to Joe Public, they question his politics and beat confessions out of him. It's no surprise they're far better at curbstomping dissent than solving any actual crime.
- Shadow Dictator: Prime Minister Hendrik Strydom.
- Shown Their Work: Lydenburg is played by an actual South African and fluent Afrikaans-speaker, lending all of their posts a definite ring of verisimilitude.
- Your Terrorists Are Our Freedom Fighters: The Morota National Party (MNP) insurgents are alternatively depicted as communist terrorist scumbags, or selfless patriots liberating a disadvantaged people.
- Wretched Hive: The country's black townships are squalid, dangerously overpopulated, slums ignored by health services and law enforcement.
The Commonwealth of Norvenia is Aurora's resident super-power, and is an Expy of the United States, at least in the role it takes in the region.
- Eagleland: Type I. Norvenians are devoted to liberal interventionism, and don't hesitate to deploy troops in order to overthrow oppressive regimes.
- The Federation: Norvenia not only sees itself as this, but tries very hard to live up to it.
- Proud Warrior Race: Norvenians hold the armed forces in very high regard, and have a standard of training and equipment for every soldier that is unmatched except by the most elite of foreign armies.
The Grand Duchy of Seahold is an Expy of the Spanish-speaking Caribbean, if it got colonized by Anglo-Saxon and Norse seafarers instead of the Spanish.
- Culture Chop Suey: Seaholders have Anglo-Saxon and Norse roots but, due to centuries of intermixing with the Carib and Taino natives of their archipelago, they strongly resemble Latinos in both appearance and culture. Why? Rule of Cool.
- Latin Land: bachata, Spanish Colonial architecture, mestizos, Latin American food...
- Modest Royalty: the last two generations of royals have been this. The previous ones, not so much.
- Prince Charming: Nicholas Henry, despite his Camp Straight appearance and behaviour.
- Rebellious Princess: Wodilhilt, even though her rebelliousness doesn't really go beyond being The Lad-ette.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: the Grand Duchy of Seahold is an absolute monarchy.
- The Woman Wearing the Queenly Mask: Krimhild Erlefrida. Prim and proper monarch in public, sad and unhappy Girly Girl in private.
The Holy Empire. Skorzenia is the ultimate antipode of Norvenia; it is a tyrannical state ruled by a shadowy order that oppresses its toiling masses. It is also very well-written, all things considered.
- Awesome, but Impractical: The P.2000 Behemoth Tank. It's based on the P.1500 Monster and weighs over 2,000 tons. In general, all of their equipment is explicitly like this.
- After the End: Skorzenia's cities and economies were destroyed in the nuclear 1984 War. The nation as it exists now is a little over a dozen massive factory cities built around Fraternity bunker complexes, with most of the country remaining lawless wasteland.
- The Battlestar: The Poseidon-class battle carrier is a mashup of a supercarrier and a dreadnought.
- Big Bad: Of Aurora; the country takes the role of master-antagonist.
- Black And Black Morality: The Fraternity has conquered several neighboring nations and basically enslaved their populations. They did this in retaliation for said nations attempting to annihilate them (for the second time) and oppressing (or even attempting to exterminate) Skorzenian refugees within their borders.
- Cool Car: The Pursuit Units of the Ranger Patrol Troop drive muscle cars with 550 cubic inch supercharged V12s. Skorzenians in general love overpowered vehicles.
- Dystopia: Members of the Steel Fraternity get democracy, education, and civil rights. The other ninety-plus percent of the population get random mass killings, deliberate mass killings, engineered poverty and overcrowding, government-backed gangs of psychopaths, human experimentation, starvation, and general soul-crushing oppression. Young prole men actually fight each other for the chance to be conscripted as Cannon Fodder for the Imperial Army.
- Eagleland: The original Republic of Skorzenia, founded by American adventurers following the Civil War, had Type I ideals, but always skirted close to Type II. The Steel Fraternity likewise has Type I dreams, but following a period of laissez-faire corporate rule, a civil war, a nuclear civil war, and multiple attempts to destroy their nation, they reacted by going to the far end of Type II, then right on past it to build an oppressive oligarchy.
- The Empire: It's even in the name!
- Emperor Scientist: Brother-Polymath Johnathan Keyes, leader of the Steel Fraternity and Emperor of Skorzenia, is an accomplished scientist who now devotes most of his time to gerontological study in an attempt to increase the lifespan of Fraternity members.
- Faceless Goons: The Skorzenian National Police and most of the Fraternity's infantry wear face-concealing helmets.
- Homage: To Fallout. The Brotherhood of Steel is represented here as the Steel Fraternity, and their elite warriors wear armor modeled after the Power Armor from the game. Also, the Skorzenian National Police are modeled after Judges, and the Ranger Patrol Troop is the Main Force Patrol in all but name. Johnathan Steuben, the sadistic commander of VANGUARD is named after Joachim Steuben of Hammer's Slammers. The oppressed underclass are referred to as proles, and the nuclear war that led to the Fraternity's takeover of the nation occurred in 1984, both references to Nineteen Eighty-Four.
- Hypocrite: The Steel Fraternity is militantly and vocally dedicated to democracy and liberty, despite being a brutally oppressive oligarchy ruling an autocratic empire.
- I Did What I Had to Do: The upper leadership of the Steel Fraternity is acutely aware of what an oppressive, authoritarian hell hole Skorzenia has become. They consider their regime to be a necessary evil to preserve true freedom, liberty, and democracy in the face of socialism and invasive government.
- The Order: The Steel Fraternity.
- Powered Armor: Used by the Steel Paladins, though equipping and training one of them costs as much as an entire conscript brigade.
- Slave Mooks: Part-and-parcel of their 'Jelly Doughnut' system. The parts of their army that aren't super-elite are all slave conscripts.
- State Sec: The Skorzenian National Police exist to maintain suppression of the prole population.
- Super Soldier: The Steel Paladins, the single most elite forces anywhere in Aurora. Their initiation requires them to defeat - and kill - other Skorzenian soldiers.
- Tank Goodness: One of the Steel Fraternity's greatest passions.
- Token Evil Teammate: The special forces/intelligence organization VANGUARD is this, even compared to the rest of the Fraternity. On an individual level, the psychotic commander of VANGUARD is this to the rest of the Imperial High Command.
The Republic of Songhia is a very troubled nation in southern Afrosia.
- Alt Itis: As mentioned above, it's played by the same person as Aurinsula.
- Bling of War: Much has been made of Songhia's devotion to fancy uniforms as a tangible job benefit. The President's elite guards actually wear white uniforms when on the job, making them spectacularly conspicuous.
- Bulungi: More-or-less this, complete with its very own...
- The Generalissimo: The irrepressible David Sundiata, who seized power in 2003 and continues to hold it to this day.
Nordic Republic which is based on Scandinavian countries during the cold war, along with aspects of the DDR, Revolutionary France, The New Russia and other things.
- Antimagical Faction
- Arcadia: Primarily urban Breheimians holds this view on the countryside. Breheimians who live on the countryside definitely does not have this view.
- Aristocrats Are Evil: A common Breheimian view, and a sizable minority of the country's former nobility certainly lived up to the trope.
- Band of Brothels: See Weird Trade Union.
- Bears Are Bad News
- Company Town
- Corrupt Corporate Executive
- Cult Colony: Some. A few of the largest towns and cities in the east and north were originally founded by pagans fleeing the Christianized west and south. Bjørnøya is a more modern, and extremely small, example.
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male
- Dying Town: Common in the 'smog belt' of heavy industrial towns and cities, due to recent privatizations, market liberalization and quite a few bankruptcies.
- Eat the Rich: A common view.
- Historical Villain Upgrade: Arne Torsteinsøn, along with any and all Breheimian Monarchs, tend to get this treatment.
- Horny Vikings
- Ice Palace: An old royal palace made out of ice in the arctic north, turned into a tourist attraction in modern times.
- Illegal Religion: Surturism, as well as Alfartruar historically.
- Industrial Ghetto
- Just the First Citizen: Arne Torsteinsøn, historically.
- Manly Men Can Hunt
- Martyrdom Culture: Eastern Breheimians are known for this, commonly dubbed 'Valhalla-Seekers'.
- Norse by Norsewest: Subverted, with Breheim being quite grimy, industrial and conservative despite being Nordic.
- Nouveau Riche: A recent affair.
- Off with His Head!
- Patriotic Fervor
- Private Military Contractors: A surprising amount of Breheimians become mercenaries, largely pagans.
- Rated M for Manly
- Real Men Eat Meat
- Royally Screwed Up: The former monarchy.
- Secret Police: The People's Security Bureau, although there's also a regular police force around.
- Small Town Rivalry: The norm. Most cities also have one or several 'rivals', most prominently the cities of Storvik and Bjørnborg (the largest and second-largest cities, and long dual-capitals).
- The Alcoholic
- The Boxing Episode
- The Mafiya: The Cossackian Mafiya.
- The Republic
- The Revolution Will Not Be Vilified
- Testosterone Poisoning
- 20 Minutes into the Past: Rural Breheim a bit more than twenty minutes, and even cities lag behind in most respects to modern nations. Changing quite rapidly with opened markets and foreign relations.
- Vast Bureaucracy
- Vote Early, Vote Often
- Weird Trade Union: Has a very high union density, and some quite odd trade unions such as the Federation of Discreet Labour (trade union for criminals).
- Working-Class Hero: The Breheimian ideal.
Île de Cuivre
Francophone Apartheid state.