Characters for Nande Koko Ni Sensei Ga!?
General Tropes for Teachers
- Hot for Student: They either fall in love with their respective student over the course of the story, or always have liked them.
- Sensei-chan: In terms of age, they're all not that far apart in age, and have varying degrees of popularity with their students.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Each of the teachers fall for their respective students because they're all Nice Guys who don't take advantage of them and for the kindness they show them.
A Japanese language teacher at Kawanuma West Senior High who is feared by students and delinquents alike, known as "Kojima the Demon" for her terrifying demeanor. She finds herself getting into embarrassing incidents with Ichiro Satou, and is actually old friends with his mom, Saki. But behind her rough exterior is a shy introvert who wants to be liked by her students, and her parents are pressuring her to get married so they can have grandchildren. Mayu Matsukaze is her senior colleague and is close friends with her.
- Affectionate Nickname: Wants to be called "Nee-chan" outside of school by Satou, when she realizes he was the young boy who inspired her to become a teacher. When he calls her this at school, out of embarrassment she goes full demon on him.
- Art Evolution: She looked slightly older and more stern with her earlier appearances, but her face got more round and her eyes wider over the course of the series. This was later lampshaded in a fan Q&A, where Kana quickly dismisses the complaint, saying people change as they get older.
- Can't Hold Her Liquor: Kana is a total lightweight and gets drunk the moment she takes a single sip, a weakness that Saki tries to exploit so her son can take advantage of her, the idea of which horrifies him.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: When she takes Mayu over to the local pool to teach her how to swim, Ichiro and Rin are also there, and isn't pleased when the former can't get his eyes off of Mayu. Not wanting Ichiro's eyes on anyone else, she takes off with Ichiro and tasks Rin with teaching Mayu how to swim. She realizes what she's done when things go sour.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Satou discovers that behind her tough demeanor she's really this, and she frequently trips, slips and forgets things.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: She does this in her second omake chapter after confiscating certain toys she's not familiar with. Unfortunately, she does this right after having a video call with Satou and forgot to hang up, and he can't help but watch.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Downplayed. Ichiro thought that her "Kojima the Demon" persona would become a thing with the past once they started dating and she mellowed out, but she still gets as angry as ever.
- Didn't Think This Through: During the incident at the laundromat, she tries lifting up Satou on her shoulders despite him objecting to it, and learns it's not a good idea to do it to someone who has a Raging Stiffie.
- The Dreaded: She has zero popularity with the students and even delinquents are terrified of her.
- Face of a Thug: Not normally, but there are times where she can become so serious or upset that her expression makes her look extremely intimidating. A single look is enough to make babies cry.
- Fear of Thunder: She's afraid of lightning, which she tries to deny because she's a teacher. It doesn't work.
- Feminine Women Can Cook: She's said to be a good cook.
- First-Name Basis: In the first omake chapter, after she and Ichiro have started dating, she insists on them calling each other by their first names. When he instinctively calls her "sensei", she becomes gloomy. She lights up when he finally calls her Kana.
- Has a Type: She has three criteria for a partner: Someone younger, a kind face, and someone good with children. Satou just so happens to have all of those.
- I Just Want to Be Loved: In one of the manga chapters, she tries to take a book from a school library that makes it clear that she wants to be loved by her students and not be the scary teacher everyone runs away from, but doesn't want anyone to know, fearing she'll lose her respect and authority if anyone finds out.
- Kissing Under the Influence: When Saki gets her drunk, she decides to repay Ichiro for playing a key part in her becoming a teacher by giving him her real first (and non-accidental) kiss.
- Miss Conception: Kana has a comically poor understanding of sex. In one of the omake chapters, she believes she's gotten herself pregnant after an incident with Satou, despite that no actual intercourse was involved.
- Running Gag: She goes full demon on Satou at least once per chapter, usually with him recalling a Noodle Incident on why she's earned the reputation of one. One exception is when she does it to Saki and gets played like putty instead, and another when she's too embarrassed to because of the shapely mummy costume she's wearing.
- Sadist Teacher: The common misconception of her, due to her serious nature. She has some self-image issues because of it. If anything she's more of a Stern Teacher, but she overdoes it.
- Shrinking Violet: She was extremely shy and had no confidence in herself when she was younger. It was after an encounter with a certain young boy that she gained the confidence to pursue her dream as a teacher. However, behind her tough exterior still lies a shy introvert with her share of confidence issues.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: She can be intimidating and absolutely terrifying to be around, especially at school, but Ichiro learns that she also has a sweet side to her, especially after she discovers the truth behind a Forgotten First Meeting.
- Tomboy: She can take on delinquents and lift guys heavier than her. Overall, her attitude isn't very feminine due to how serious she takes her job.
- Tsundere: Toward Satou, until she mellows out.
- Vocal Evolution: In the anime's Japanese dub, Kana's voice sounds rather deep and serious early on, befitting her as an authority figure. But as she becomes more fond of Satou and mellows out, her voice reflects this and she sounds a lot more normal at the end, and not just towards him.
- Voiced by Yuko Goto (Japanese), Melody Spade (English)
The beloved art teacher at Kawanuma West Senior High who, unlike Kana, is extremely popular among her students for her kind and gentle demeanor, and is known as "Matsukaze the Saint" or "Holy Mother/Lady Matsukaze". Three years before, a large man with a scary face helped her and she immediately fell for him. When she met him again, she was shocked to see that he was a young student named Rin Suzuki. She approaches him in hopes to get closer to him, but their encounters don't turn out as smoothly as she would like. She has a younger sister named Saya and is a good friend of Kana.
- Beware the Nice Ones: While most of the teachers put up with the embarrassing situations they're in, she makes a large exception. After suffering enough embarrassment when they're cleaning outside, she and Kana decide to "take out the trash", with Ichiro and Rin becoming terrified at what's to come.
- Cool Big Sis: She's Saya's older sister, but isn't quite as mature as her and is a lot more easygoing. They get along rather well, to the point where Saya of afraid of losing her after she gets married to Rin.
- Cool Teacher: Opposite to Kana, Mayu is popular for being nice and gentle. She's even called "Lady Matsukaze".
- Covert Pervert: No details are given in the anime, but she makes a reference to her "fantasies" in the first scene with Rin, later stating that what happened "was even better than my fantasies." And she seems quite upset when she learns that Rin doesn't plan on "getting physical" until after marriage.
- Dude, She's Like, in a Coma!: When Hakazura forcefully puts Rin and Matsukaze in her room as part of her (and Takashi's) Date Peepers dynamic, Matsukaze exploits this opportunity to kiss Rin while he was sleeping.
- Happily Married: In the fifth volume, taking place two years after the previous ones, she and Suzuki become married and she couldn't be happier.
- Nice Girl: One of the kindest teachers and has the reputation of a saint.
- Older Than They Look: Her younger sister Saya tells her that she looks like a child.
- One of the Kids: She still buys kids' meals even after Saya is grown up, which everyone but Rin thinks is weird.
- Women Prefer Strong Men: Although it's not the main reason she falls for Rin, his strength and masculinity are one of the many reasons she's attracted to him.
A physical education teacher at Kawanuma East Senior High, she's known Takahashi Takashi since they were children, and has treated him like a toy as long as she's known him. When he accidentally discovers that She's All Grown Up and catches him in the act, she fears that the man within him has finally awakened and that Taka intends to use it to get back at her for everything she's done to him. Despite acting like a bully and being a nosy gossiper, she genuinely cares for him and is well-liked by her students for having a playful personality, even though she's more immature than Taka. She's also good friends with Tachibana.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: She offers her room to Mayu and Suzuki for a night with the intention of spying on them, but when she sees Mayu kissing Suzuki in his sleep, she gets so shy that she can't watch.
- Big Sister Bully: Towards Taka, who she's always treated as a toy. While it's said that she pampers him a lot, everyone else around her still sees it as bullying.
- Childhood Friends: She's known Takashi since they were little.
- Genki Girl: She's very loud and full of energy, especially there's gossip to spread or she's in front of a camera.
- Girl Next Door: More of a literal example, since she lived next door to Taka.
- Hoist by Their Own Petard: Several of the raunchy incidents involving her and Taka are the result of her trying to get the better of him, fearing that she'll lose her dominance over him and become the dominated one, only for it to backfire on her tremendously. For instance, during the Halloween festival, she goes into an abandoned building so she can prank Taka and scare the daylights out of him, only to fall through the floor and get stuck in it, resulting in even more shenanigans.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Although she comes off as a bully towards Taka, she really does care for him and the mere thought of anything bad happening to him devastates her.
- Not So Different: Both she and Taka try to convince each other that they're all grown up, despite Taka being a teenager and that she still acts like a kid despite being in her twenties.
- One of the Kids: Despite her appearance, she still has the maturity of a young teenager, which makes her popular among students. When Taka accidentally puts the moves on her and she decides to take him shopping, the first place they visit is the toy section, an oddity that he points out. She later finds out the hard way that mixing all soda flavors together is a bad idea.
- Shipper on Deck: She's in full support of Rin and Matsukaze's relationship, which gets to the point of lending them her room for a night just too see them getting intimate.
- Tan Lines: Given the nature of the series, her most noticeable physical attribute due to her being an advisor on the swimming club.
- Tomboy: As to be expected from a physical education teacher. Taka points out that she's not very ladylike and has always been this.
- Virgin-Shaming: When she tells Taka that she intends to spy on Mayu and Suzuki, he tells her that her nosiness is the reason she's never had a boyfriend, and she retaliates by putting him in a headlock and calling him a virgin.
The School Nurse of Kawanuma East Senior High, she carries such a cold and detached demeanor that freezes the air around her, earning her the nickname "Absolute Zero Tachibana". Her quiet personality and expressionless face makes it difficult to tell how she's feeling, but wishes to be more sociable and intimate with her students. After an incident with Kou Tanaka at his workplace, she decides to spend more time with him so she can understand how students think, which ends in a way neither of them would have ever expected. She's close friends with Hazakura, who often gives her advice.
- Apathetic Teacher: Known as "Absolute Zero Tachibana" for her cold and detached personality, although it's really far from the truth. She really wants to become friendlier with her students. Too bad she chose to read a manga about a seemingly apathetic teacher winning his students over, which in reality, doesn't the same effect.
- Brutal Honesty: She has a tendency to speak the truth at the expense of others' sensitivities, doubling with Innocently Insensitive. For instance, she tells Kou that she decided to spend Christmas Eve with him because she correctly assumed that he didn't have any real plans and would be all by himself.
- Cannot Spit It Out: When she makes chocolate on Valentine's day, she wanted to surprise Kou with it, and couldn't bring herself to confess her feelings for him because he's still a student. She turns him down when he finally asks her out, but she's too embarrassed to give him a note suggesting she wanted to date him once he graduated. Once he graduates, she decides to make things right and confesses to him.
- Catchphrase: "It's fine" and "I failed".
- Chocolate of Romance: She made chocolate with Hikari on Valentine's Day to give to Kou, and struggled to confess that she made it for him.
- Emotionless Girl: She's emotionally stiff and has difficulty expressing herself. Apparently, she's always been like that, even as a child.
- I Am Not Pretty: She doesn't consider herself attractive or sexy. Kou is shocked and tells her why she's wrong, but says too much.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: She has a tendency early on to strip in front of Kou without thinking anything of it. It becomes subverted when she starts falling for him and stops seeing him as just a student that asks him to turn away.
- Lap Pillow: After an incident on their trip together keeps Kou from sleeping, she comforts him in this way.
- Misunderstood Loner with a Heart of Gold: When she spends Christimas with Kou, she shows him a depressing video of the previous year, which has her all alone with a small cake she bought from a convenience store. But when they go on a trip together, she goes out of her way to find interesting spots to entertain him, assuming he would be bored with her otherwise.
- No Social Skills: She has no idea how to speak with students and needs help in that department.
- Perpetual Frowner: She finds it too difficult and troublesome to smile. She aims to change this.
- Rei Ayanami Expy: Has short bright hair, has trouble expressing her emotions, and over the course of her arc learns to become more sociable.
- School Nurse: Of Kawanuma East Senior High.
- Sexy Santa Dress: Decides to visit Kou during Christmas Eve wearing one. She really likes Christmas.
- Sleeps in the Nude: Reveals this to Kou during their trip together at a really bad time.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: She comes off as cold and aloof at first, but really is a sweet girl who looks out for Kou.
- The Stoic: Her overall demeanor. She has difficulty expressing herself and is mostly quiet.
- When She Smiles: As she and Kou grow closer, he finds her smile beautiful and believes it's worth protecting.
- Voiced by Yuka Ootsubo (Japanese), Sonja Meadow (English)
Maya's younger sister, who we meet when Suzuki is hired to tutor her. She often lectures her older sister about acting more like an adult, and fears that Suzuki has his eyes on Mayu for all the wrong reasons. In the fifth volume, taking place two years after her introduction, she becomes excited and lonely over the news of her sister's marriage, and reunites with her childhood friends Yorito Itou (who is in love with her), and Francesca Homura (who is in love with him), getting caught up in even more embarrassing situations involving them.
- A-Cup Angst: Homura has a tendency to point out that while She's All Grown Up, the same can't be said for Saya's chest, and she's not too happy about it.
- All Men Are Perverts: Even though Mayu is clearly head over heels with Suzuki, Saya thinks he's a pervert who only cares about her body.
- Ascended Extra: She appears as a side character in the second arc, but becomes part of the main love triangle in the fifth chapter between Homura and Itou.
- Big Sister Instinct:
- Inverted with Mayu. As the younger sibling, Saya is extremely wary about Suzuki and wants to protect her older sister from him, thinking he's a pervert with impure intentions.
- Although they're not sisters, she acts as one towards Homura and is more concerned about her well-being than her own.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: She's introduced with long hair, but has it cut short in the fifth volume.
- Hates Being Alone: When Mayu gets married in the fifth volume, although she's excited for her happiness, she also fears losing the one person who has always been there for her and becoming lonely. Suzuki asks if Itou and Homura can take care of her in her sister's place.
- Meganekko: She always sports a pair of glasses.
- Romantic False Lead: Itou considers her his First Love and doesn't have eyes for anyone else, and he doesn't even remember Homura when they meet again. Of course, with Homura being on the volume cover, Saya ends up encouraging Itou to go after Homura instead since his feelings for her have become much stronger at that point.
A Child Prodigy and the new Assistant Language teacher at Kawanuma West Senior High, she spent a month in Japan when she was younger, and it was at this time that she met Saya and Itou. After getting her bachelor's degree in her mid-teens, she turned down high paying jobs so she could be a teacher in Japan and see them again, particularly Itou, who unfortunately doesn't even remember her and is in love with Saya instead. She has a difficult time expressing her true feelings towards him and has a hard time relating to others due to her intellect.
- Aren't You Going to Ravish Me?: She frequently tries to get Yorito to get to notice her as a woman. In her omake chapter, she has Yorito test out a VR device where an AI version of her demands this of him since he started dating the real Homura, and it ends up seducing him. The real one comes back and is upset that he's doing it to her and not her.
- But Not Too Foreign: Given her name is "Francesca" and she's a strawberry blonde, she may have some western ancestry.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: She accidentally sends Yorito a video of her doing this for VR testing.
- Hypocrite: Homura frequently calls Yorito a pervert and chews him out for it, but she's more of a pervert than he is.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: She comes off as haughty and a bit of an Insufferable Genius at times, in a blatant attempt to hide the fact that despite her intellect, she's filled to the brim with self-esteem issues, especially since Yorito's eyes are on Saya and not her.
- Intelligence = Isolation: She has an extremely difficult time relating to others and holds herself to a much higher standard than others. When it affects her teaching and risks getting her fired, she fears losing Itou and Saya since she has no other friends to go to.
- Just a Kid: She tries to present herself as a grown woman, but her young appearance and childish habits prevent Yorito from seeing her this way.
- Teen Genius: She graduated from university at the age of sixteen. She's had numerous papers published, is accomplished in physics, biology, linguistics, and others, appeared on TV for her medical research on dieting, and is also working with VR technology.
- Tsundere: She leans heavily on the "Tsun Tsun" side since she has trouble being upfront with her feelings.
A geography and history teacher at Asaoka Private Senior High, known as "Inokawa the Stalker Ghost" for her tendency to pop up from behind and spill people's details in front of them, as well as the creepy faces she makes. She starts following Wataru Watanabe, who has been skipping classes, and urges him to attend school so he doesn't fall behind. Although most of her attempts backfire, he starts to realize that Izumi isn't nearly as scary as he and everyone else makes her out to be, but a kind and well-meaning teacher who puts others first. Ouka Okamoto later works at the same school as a colleague.
- Adorkable: Stands out compared to the other teachers. She has some childish tendencies, is socially awkward, and tries really hard to do the right thing only for it to backfire on her, making her all the more endearing.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Has an aloof personality and has long black hair.
- Apologises a Lot: Has a tendency to do so. Three chapters open with her apologizing to either Wataru and his mother.
- Beauty Mark: Has a small mole under her right eye.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: The reason she falls for Watanabe is because he's kind and gentle towards her and treats her in a way no one else has.
- Cool Big Sis: She has a little brother and attends his athletic meet. When he doesn't do very well, she tries her hardest to cheer him up.
- Creepy Good: She makes a lot of scary faces and has a creepy demeanor, but she really just wants to be a good teacher, which involves getting to know everything about her students. Her methods are a little out there but her heart's definitely in the right place.
- Dark Is Not Evil: She wears dark clothes and creeps a lot of her students out, but she's really sweet.
- Friendless Background: When she was in high school, she didn't stand out, was very lonely, and no one in her class remembers her. It's because of this that she's eager to befriend her students, memorize their names and personal details so they don't feel left out and forgotten like her.
- Heavy Sleeper: A trait she's aware of. Whether she realizes she strips and laughs in her sleep is another question.
- I Am Not Pretty: She has a severe lack of self-confidence when it comes to her looks. When she finally gets together with Wataru in her omake chapter, she doesn't think she would be an adequate girlfriend because of her looks and lack of experience with dating.
- Mum Looks Like a Sister: Izumi's mom looks just like she did back in high school.
- No Social Skills: Is very socially awkward, and has a tendency to say frightening things that can be easily misinterpreted. For instance, she tells Wataru at some point that she needs to eliminate him, but what she meant was that she needed to remove him from her list of students she hadn't talked to yet.
- Not So Different: The reason she tries to get Wataru in particular to attend school is because, like him, she also didn't attend classes. She later came to regret it and became a teacher so other students wouldn't make the same mistake she did.
- Sleeps in the Nude: When she and Wataru have to sleep in her car, she ends up stripping completely in her sleep. Unfortunately, she gets a cold the next morning.
A new student teacher at Asaoka Private Senior High. She is actually an active idol known as Sakura Okamoto, but doesn't want her students to connect the dots, nor does she want her fans to learn about her new profession. She's also the childhood friend of Yamato Yamamoto, and learns from Inokawa that his grades are suffering due to his intense focus on track and field. Although she's aware that he dedicates himself to running as a declaration of love towards her, she acts coldly towards him because she can't tell him that she feels the same way.
- All Men Are Perverts: A flashback shows that she had this impression of boys earlier, and thought the same of Yamato until he confessed his feelings and proved that it was the real deal.
- Cannot Spit It Out: She's also very much in love with Yamamoto, but she can't confess her feelings to him. Partly because it's forbidden as a teacher and as an idol, but also because she's simply too afraid to tell him.
- Childhood Friends: She's known Yamato since they were kids.
- Double Standard: Rape, Female on Male: During a study session gone wrong, she tries to relieve Yamato's stress by stimulating him using her breasts while he's sleeping. Although she realizes what she's doing and changes her mind, she gets trapped between him and the desk and ends the way you'd expect. But since he dreamt of her embracing him, he wanted her to visit again so he could have a similar dream.
- Gainaxing: She apparently has this problem whenever she runs.
- Girly Run: Shown to have this when she thinks she's being chased by a random student.
- Has a Type: She told Yamato when they were kids that she likes boys who run fast, and he's since dedicated himself to becoming the fastest athlete just to impress her. He thinks that she hasn't noticed, but he couldn't be more wrong.
- Insecure Love Interest: Yamato never expected Ouka to become an idol, and felt that she was out of his reach because of it. It turns out that Ouka became an idol because she felt that a star athlete like Yamato deserved more than a "typical university student" like her, and wanted to change herself so she wouldn't be ashamed to be his sweetheart. That's when she discovered an ad for an idol audition.
- Living a Double Life: She's Ouka Okamoto, a new teacher at Asaoka Private Senior High. But she's also Sakura Okamoto, a popular idol and gravure model. She doesn't want her students or her fans to connect the dots and realize they're one and the same.
- Meganekko: Regularly wears glasses as her real self, but takes them off when she's in idol mode.
- My God, What Have I Done?: She's aware that Yamato is pushing himself to win her over, but can't she bring herself to confess her feelings for him, which causes him to push himself even harder to prove his love for her. When he suffers an injury on the field, she believes she's to blame for causing him to push himself beyond his physical limits, realizing for everything he's done for her, she hasn't done the same for him.
- Naked Apron: She tries to seduce Yamato wearing one at the end of her arc.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Sakura Okamoto, her idol persona, is dim-witted and not very bright, but it's all an act. Ouka herself is the exact opposite: intelligent, more dignified and said to be quite the study demon.
- Pop Idol: Her Alter Ego is Sakura Okamoto, the leader of the idol group "Natadeko Girls". Despite her new profession as a teacher, she's still an active idol on the side.
- Tsundere: She acts coldly towards Yamato and keeps him at a distance, but only because she can't tell him that she's also in love with him. She tells herself it's because of the serious consequences it would have with both of her professions, but there's more to it than that.
General Tropes for Students
- Accidental Pervert: Pretty much, given what the series is about.
- Apologises a Lot: The guys frequently apologize to their teachers for any discomfort they might have caused them.
- Butt-Monkey: These guys always get into awkward situations with their respective teachers.
- Easily Forgiven: With some exceptions, they mostly suffer little or no consequence after the incidents they have with their teachers, either because said teachers recognize it was an accident or already have some kind of affection for them.
- Hot for Teacher: Like their respective teacher, they fall in love with them over the course of the story.
- Voiced by Ryouta Suzuki (Japanese), Austin Tindle (English)
A third year student at Kawanuma West Senior High, who's as ordinary as they come. He finds himself getting into embarrassing situations with the most feared teacher in the school, "Kojima the Demon", but starts to realize that beneath the surface, she's not as bad as everyone says she is. His mom seems intent on getting them together and he also has a baby sister. He's also known Rin Suzuki and Kou Tanaka since middle school, and later gets a job along with Wataru Watanabe.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Although he tries his hardest to avoid taking advantage of Kana when things go wrong during their encounters, sometimes he loses himself in the sensation.
- I Call Him "Mr. Happy": Tends to refer to his manhood as "my son".
- I'm a Man; I Can't Help It: Shortly after they start dating, when Kana is tasked with teaching Sex Ed and needs his help on the subject, she tries to arouse him by stripping for him. He pretends he isn't just to see how far she will go, but quickly changes his tune when he realizes he's overdone it.
- I Want to Be a Real Man: When Kana needs his help during the the Halloween Festival, he believes it's his role as a man to aid her. When his efforts fail, not only does he think he's failed her, but he also thinks he's failed as a man.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: He discovers that by encouraging a young girl to be strong and pursue her dreams as a child, he's the reason "Kojima the Demon" exists!
- Oblivious to Love: When Kana starts showing him signs that she's starting to like him, he doesn't pick up on it. When his mom flat-out tells him, he still doesn't believe it.
- Only Friend: To Rin, since he's known him since middle school and knows that deep inside he's a Nice Guy.
- Ordinary High-School Student: He's declared as such and has no popularity among the teachers. Just to point out how ordinary he is, the later volumes provides various stats for the teachers and students alike, and he rates a 3 out of 5 in all areas.
A second year student at Kawanuma West Senior High who has known Satou since middle school, he is feared by the other students for his intimating face and large build. When Satou gets a girlfriend and leaves him to eat lunch by himself, he finds himself being approached by Mayu and ends up in all kinds of embarrassing situations with her, not realizing her true feelings towards him. He works with his father's company and has a younger brother and sister that look up to him.
- The Ace: Described as such by Mayu. Not only is he incredibly strong, he also receives the top grades in his class and is trusted by his co-workers for his dad's company, which he is set to inherit. When the later chapters provide various stats for the teachers and students, he rates a 5 out of 5 in every category except for art.
- Eating Lunch Alone: When Satou starts dating, Suzuki falls into this since most people won't go anywhere near him. Mayu immediately notices and eats with him in Satou's place, but not without ulterior motives.
- Face of a Thug: Perhaps his most defining feature is that he looks scary and intimidating, which scares off nearly everyone who comes across him. The only ones not intimidated are Ichiro, who has known him since middle school, Kana, who is equally as scary, and clearly Mayu. Not at first, though.
- Friend to All Children: He has two younger siblings that look up to them and adore him, and they get along well.
- Gentle Giant: He's huge and intimidating enough to be mistaken for a bear, but he doesn't appear to have a bad bone in that massive body of his, and never hesitates to help out anyone he can.
- Good Old Ways: When he accepts Mayu's Love Confession, he immediately declares that they should also get married, thinking that's what dating leads to anyway. Saya tells him he was born in the wrong century. In the anime, he also insists that he and Mayu won't get physical until after marriage, and she's none too pleased at the idea of waiting.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: He takes it hard whenever he embarrasses Mayu, such as the time he failed to teach her how to swim, telling her that he's the worst teacher ever.
- Humble Hero: Tends to downplay whatever compliments he receives from others.
- Hunk: The largest of the male protagonists, not only strong but very intelligent. Just when Yorito is convinced that he's perfect and cannot compare to him, he later finds out that Rin is also incredibly well-endowed.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: His loneliness gets to him and tries to make friends over the course of his arc since his Only Friend Ichiro wants to spend time with his new girlfriend.
- Manly Tears: When Mayu first approaches him when Ichiro leaves him to eat all by himself, he has this reaction due to how sweet and kind she is.
- Rated M for Manly: He's muscular and physically strong, and is already helping his father as a carpenter when he first meets Mayu, a skill that comes in handy throughout the series. When Taka wants to learn more about what it means to be manly, Rin's the first person he goes to.
- Younger Than They Look: When Mayu first met him, she believed that he was older than her, and was shocked to discover that he was actually younger than she was.
- Voiced by Kazutomi Yamamoto (Japanese), Bryson Baugus (English)
A first year student at Kawanuma East Senior High, he's lived next door to Hikari since they were children and has been treated as her plaything ever since. Once he realizes that She's All Grown Up, he yearns for her to see him as a man. At first she dismisses him as being Just a Kid, but starts to fear that the beast inside of him has finally awakened and the days of being the dominant one are finally over. He goes to the same school as Kou Tanaka.
- Bishōnen: Officially described as having an androgynous face.
- I Want to Be a Real Man: When he starts realizing that he's having romantic feelings for Hikari now that She's All Grown Up, he thinks he needs to step up so she doesn't see him as Just a Kid. He yearns to be tall and masculine.
- Voiced by Yuusuke Kobayashi (Japanese), Howard Wang (English)
A third year student at Kawanuma East Senior High, he is a former student council president that has known Satou and Suzuki since middle school. After he learns that Satou, Suzuki, and his junior Taka are dating their teachers, he swears to get a girlfriend before graduation. He finds himself being approached by Tachibana and finds himself becoming attracted to her, but her expressionless demeanor keeps him wondering if she really feels the same way about him or if it's just wishful thinking on his end.
- Casanova Wannabe: When he's introduced in the manga, he apparently told the others that many girls approached him and struggled to confess to him, only for Taka to tell Satou and Suzuki that it never happened.
- I Want to Be a Real Man: The fact that Chizuru keeps telling him that she sees him as a student bothers him, as he wishes she would see him as a man instead.
- Megane: The only male protagonist who wears glasses regularly.
A first year student at Kawanuma East Senior High, he's madly in love with Saya and enrolled into the same school as her. He reunites with her and Homura, who he doesn't remember, but upon Saya's insistence, they both try to help her out.
- Cruel to Be Kind: On a field trip when they were kids, he pushed Homura into a lake in what was seen as a cruel joke. He actually did it to hide the fact that she wet herself since she didn't know how to ask where the bathroom was in Japanese. The same thing happens when they meet again.
- Hey, That's My Line!: When Homura is supposedly missing, he discovers her, leading her to say "Why the hell are you here?" and this is his response.
- Horror Films: He's a fan of western ones. He watches what appears to be a romantic one with Homura, and just when a couple is about to kiss, a Monster Clown pops out with a Jump Scare.
- Oblivious to Love: Homura throws him several hints that she likes him, but he doesn't catch on while the entire school knows that she came to Japan for him.
A third year student at Asaoka Private Senior High, he skips classes because he finds work more fun. This catches the attention of Inokawa, who follows him to work and home in an attempt to get him to go back to school. Satou is his senior at work.
- Japanese Delinquents: Seen as such because of his tendency to skip classes, although he doesn't look any different from the rest of the cast.
- Mama's Boy: He works for fun and gives almost all of his salary to his mother. When she falls ill, he fills her spot and runs deliveries in her place.
- Skipping School: He skips classes and goes to work instead because he finds it more fun and enjoyable, to the chagrin of his mother.
A second year student at Asaoka Private Senior High and captain of the track and field team. He's been in love with Ouka Okamoto ever since they were kids, and upon learning she likes men who can run fast, has dedicated himself to becoming the fastest athlete in Japan to sweep her off her feet. He was stunned to learn that she suddenly became an idol shortly after she left for college, and more so when she came back as his teacher. He's determined to break the "10-second barrier" on the 100-meter dash to prove his love for her is real, unaware that she's already in love with him.
- Defeating the Undefeatable: His goal is to break the "10-second barrier" on the 100-meter dash. Ringo conveniently points out such as feat is nearly impossible, and only one person has ever accomplished it. At the end of the arc, he actually succeeds.
- Dumb Jock: Downplayed. He's a star athlete with horrible grades, but it's not because he's stupid, but he spends so much time dedicating himself to running that he falls asleep the instant he tries to study.
- Irony: He became an athlete to impress Ouka and win her heart, but once she suddenly became an idol, he felt that she was further out of his reach, and trains even harder to catch up to her. It turns out that she felt that he surpassed her and he deserved more than an ordinary college student, and became an idol to catch up to him!
- Lovable Jock: He doesn't hide his feelings for Ouka and will do whatever it takes to win her heart, no matter the cost to his own well-being. Ouka finds this incredibly adorable of him and falls harder for him the harder he tries.
Ichiro's mom, who has actually known Kana since she was a shy high school student. She likes her enough that she wants Kana as her daughter-in-law, and has gone through outrageous measures to set her son and his teacher up together.
- '20s Bob Haircut: Sports one as her regular hairstyle.
- Ambiguously Bi: In a fan Q&A, she boasts that Kana's First Kiss was actually with her, since she couldn't help herself with how cute Kana was. Kana is horrified and denies this ever happened.
- But Liquor Is Quicker: She takes advantage of Kana being a lightweight drinker, and gets her drunk so her son could put the moves on her. He refuses to go through with it.
- The Chessmaster: A fan Q&A reveals that although Kana knew she had a son, Saki never allowed her to meet Ichiro as a boy because she would always see him as "Saki's son" as he got older, instead of a man and a potential romantic partner. She's convinced that all of her machinations paid off in the end, now all that's left is marriage so she can grow old in peace.
- Shipper on Deck: She's always wanted Kana to be her daughter-in-law, and urges her and Ichiro to get together.