open/close all folders
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: As Go notes as soon as he is brought on board.
- Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: they have only been shown stealing once, and rarely attack without being provoked. It's implied that they have before though.
GoA toad with magical abilities. He is the newest member of The Chainless crew. He spends his time fixing the ship or just hanging out when nothing's going on. He first appears in the first comic.
Tropes associated with Go:
- Clothing Damage: seems to happen to him more than the rest of the crew.
- Cool Hat: Hats seem to mark status in Toad society
- Drowning My Sorrows: Go's response to his break-up with Blair. Actually how he ended up in the desert.
- Easy Amnesia: Played with at the beginning. He was just hung over.
- Elemental Powers
- Fingerless Gloves
- Lightning Bruiser: He is at least as fast as Guy and managed to survive a fall from an airship.
- Meaningful Name: Go is the fifth member of the Chainless, and five is pronounced go in Japanese.
- Personality Powers: Inverted. When Go absorbs an item's vim, his personality changes with it.
- Screams Like a Little Girl: according to Palma.
- Sixth Ranger
Sasha MartelloA koopa who is the captin of the chainless. She is first seen in the fifth comic.
Tropes associated with Martello:
- Action Girl
- Broken Bird: due to her father being injured fighting for bowser and his partner getting killed.
- Cool Hat
- Crazy-Prepared: possibly.
- Drop the Hammer: a favorite of Martello's.
- Eye-Obscuring Hat: Her helmet.
- Fiery Red Head
- Gadgeteer Genius: Possibly, considering she was running the Chainless without the help of a magic user.
- Last-Name Basis
- Pirate Girl
- The Good Captain
- The Hero: Not the main character, but it still fits.
McCoyA raven who is Martello's second in command. He first appears in the fourth comic.
Tropes associated with McCoy:
- Big Ol' Eyebrows
- Deadpan Snarker
- Feather Fingers
- Mysterious Past: So far we know the least about him out of the main cast.
- The Lancer: Seems to be second in command to McCoy.
- Papa Wolf: Towards Guy.
- Smoking Is Cool: He is almost never seen without a cigarette.
- Stepford Smiler: most notably when he had to give up cigarettes.
- True Neutral: according to his comment in comic 130.
- Voice of Reason: he tends to be this for Palma.
- Walking Shirtless Scene
PalmaA teenaged Pianta, who is the youngest member of the Chainless Crew. Her first appearence is in the third comic.
Tropes associated with Palma:
- Action Girl
- Berserk Button: Don't suggest that she's weak.
- Genius Bruiser: She loves reading, and is easily the strongest member of the crew.
- Genki Girl: She at least seems this way in comparison to the rest of the crew.
- Intelligence Equals Isolation: how she grew up
- Last-Name Basis
- Ms. Exposition: at least in the thrive arc.
- The Smart Guy/ The Chick
- Pirate Girl
- Plant Person
- You Gotta Have Green Hair: Justified because she's part plant.
GuyA shyguy who helps out on the Chainless. He doesn't talk much, and doesn't like robots. He is first seen in the sixth comic.
Tropes associated with Guy
- The Silent Bob: he has spoken in-comic exactly once.
The ChainlessThe crew's sandship. So far, it seems to be the only one of it's kind.
ThriveA piranha plant that has been created in a secret facility in the desert. Unlike most piranha plants he is intellegent. The government was trying to create him so that he could follow orders and rely those orders to other plants.
- Combat Tentacles: planty ones.
- Fantastic Racism: he thinks he is a Superior Species.
- Gone Horribly Right
- Hive Mind:Thrive: I am creation. I am eternity. I am every flower, every tree, every blade of grass united. But for you primitve animals, requiring a guttural sound to be tied to every entity... you may call my Thrive.
- More Than Mind Control: he tries this on Palma. It doesn't work.
- Omnicidal Maniac: He wants to create an all plant society.
- Plant Person: A mostly plant variety.
King Bob-omb/ ShrapnelA high ranking bob-omb in Bowser's army. He was sent to take care of whoever the pink bob-ombs got to help them negotiate their freedom. Once he becomes Shrapnel, he seems to be more conserned with revenge.
- Casual Danger Dialogue: right before Palma attacks.King Unit: *sees Palma's attack* Oh, my. Thank you for being a good listener, Captin.
- Oh, Crap!: When Palma attacks him after he pushes her Berserk Button.
- Also his reaction to a shrunken and soon-to-grow kart being thrown inside him.
- Southern Royal Explosive Robot
Detective Jack FabesA Beanish who appears in comic 111. He is hunting the Chainless with the help of Fungus, Shrapnel, and a yet to be shown character.
Tropes related to Fabes:
- Chess Master: instead of taking out the whole crew at the same time, he waited until they split into groups at the go-kart races. McCoy and Guy went to the betting booths, He called Martello away, and had Shrapnel attack Go and Palma.
FungusFungus first appears in comic 112. He is working with Fabes to find the Chainless.
Tropes related to Fungus:
- I Shall Taunt You: he tries to do this to Guy, likely trying to make Guy mad enough to hit him.
MarioThe plumber we all know from the Mario Bros. games.
- Eldritch Abomination: He is seen as this by the Koopas.Martello: Any crazy stories you've heard about him are probably true. He breaks bricks with his bare hands. He can leap 30 feet into the air if he chooses not to fly. Some even claim he's not a toad at all- that he's somthin' else. Somethin' from beyond.
- One-Man Army
5QU15H-1EA pink bob-omb who makes friends with the crew.
- Ascended Fanon: the fans called him Squshie. When his name was finally reviled, it was 5QU15H-1E.
- Back from the Dead: Thanks to Go.
- Cuteness Proximity: this got Guy to talk for the first time in the comic.
- Gadgeteer Genius: possibly justified being a bob-omb.
- Heroic Sacrifice: he self-detonated inside the King Unit to save the pink bob-ombs. Thanks to Go, it doesn't last.