Beware of spoilers.
Rudi/Rudy, Rudeus of the Quagmire, Quagmire, The Owner of Dead End
Voiced by: Hiro Shimono (Drama CD), Yumi Uchiyama (anime)
In his previous life, he was a Japanese unemployed middle-aged man, who was eventually kicked out by his siblings for his non-productiveness. He ends up saving some highschoolers from a truck, but is killed in the process. When he awoke, he was a baby in another world and decided to not waste the second life he was given.
- Action Dad: Becomes one eventually.
- An Arm and a Leg: He loses his left hand during the quest to rescue Zenith. He replaces it with a magical prosthetic made by Zanoba, but gets it fully restored by Orsted.
- Anti-Magic: He eventually learns how to use [Disturb Magic] to prevent enemy spellcasting.
- Badass Bookworm: Trains his body daily while being quite the academic when he goes to school and researches.
- Battle Couple: Especially with Eris, although later Sylphy and Roxy would also accompany him into battle.
- Big Man on Campus: At Ranoa Magic Academy. On top of his previous reputation as an adventurer, he starts getting recognition by defeating Silent Fitts and 'taming' Lynia and Prusena. His reputation rises even further after his fight with Demon King Badigadi.
- Born Winner: Retaining memories of his previous life comes in handy and he has Laplace Factor. Though Orsted stated stated if he doesn't train it or has motivation for it he wouldn't get that far.
- Big Brother Instinct: The entire reasons he works for Orsted. Hitogami intends to harm his siblings to break him.
- Black Mage: Attack magic is his specialty. Though he is decent at healing, he is not nearly as accomplished at it.
- Bully Hunter: He hates bullies and chases off the kids that were harassing Sylphy. Attempted to do this in his previous life with tragic results.
- Child Prodigy: He managed to perform chantless magic before three, learn intermediate magic at three, become a Saint-ranked Water Magician at 5, become a tutor at 7,...
- Child Mage: Able to use chantless magic by the time he is 3
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Sylphy and pretty much all his other wives.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Drops into this at times with his love interests.
- Combat Clairvoyance: His Demon Eye allows him to see seconds into the future, which he uses to predict his opponent's next move.
- Curb Stomp Cushion: In both encounters against Orsted.
- Despair Event Horizon: In an alternate timeline, the death of Roxy and her child breaks him. The diaries he wrote also tell of his mistakes leading to a worse and worse life, which ends with the death of his family and friends. Sylphy never was able to fill the hole in his heart Roxy's death left behind. She dies in Ariel's services, after a failed attempt to seize the Crown. Eris ends up dying too, never telling him how she felt and Rudy never realizing her feelings for him, until Ghyslaine told him. In his final desperate attempt, he jumps back in time to warn his young self of Roxy's imminent death and his true enemy: Hitogami, the Human God.
- Dishing Out Dirt: His favored type of spells along with water.
- The Dreaded: To the students of the magical academy and everyone who realizes how powerful he actually is.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: In the manga, he shows these after Eris leaves him. It takes years for him to recover.
- Easily Forgiven: Sylphy surprisingly doesn't take it that hard that Rudy cheated on her, because she always expected it to happen one day. Elinalise, Sylphy's grandmother, also didn't object to this at all (she was the one that suggested Roxy to sleep with Rudy), since Roxy was her friend and she doesn't mind Polyamory.
- Expy: His entire journey from childhood to Adulthood is heavily reminiscent to the Main protagonist of Dragon Quest V.
- Genre Savvy: Because he is a former Otaku.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: In the alternate timeline, he never realized that Eris was in love with him all that time.
- Happily Married: With Sylphy, Roxy and Eris
- Interspecies Romance: With two of his wives.
- It Runs in the Family: Rudy like his father loves women and eventually marries more than one like him.
- Kissing Cousins: With Eris. They're distant cousins (exact relation not specified).
- The Lancer: First to Hitogami, then to Orsted.
- Like a God to Me: On the receiving end of pretty much all the love interests. He in turn worshiped Roxy (and her panties).
- The Loins Sleep Tonight: Suffers this for a few years after a misunderstanding with Eris.
- Magic Eye: Two; one can see a short distance into the future and the other lets him see far away into the distance.
- Magic Knight: Started to train as one early on, but sort of forgot about it later, mainly because it's revealed he couldn't clad his body in Battle Aura, which was vital to a close-range combatant.
- Making a Splash: His other favored type of spell.
- My Greatest Second Chance: An Otaku Hikikomori NEET who was reincarnated in another world and kept the memories of his previous life. He decides to make this life count from the beginning.
- No Name Given: The audience never learns his original Japanese name.
- Omniglot: In his youth, he picks up several languages besides the common tongue of humans, like the demon language and the beast tongue. This skill would prove useful in his adventures.
- One-Man Army: Rudy is abnormally powerful for his age and by the time he is a full grown adult, he helped a Shirone Army detachment by using his magic to rearrange the geography of the battlefield for their advantage.
- Polyamory: Eventually marries more than one girl.
- Powered Armor: The Magic Armor series, developed with the help of Zanoba.
- Red Baron: Quagmire.
- Reincarnate In Another World: Rudy originates from Earth.
- Rescue Romance: With Sylphy, Eris, and Roxy.
- He rescued Sylphy from a bunch of kids that bullied her because of her green hair. They then start hanging out together, though Rudy wasn't aware at first that she was a girl.
- When Eris and Rudy were kidnapped by real kidnappers, he manages to get them out, though Ghyslaine had to help at the end. Eris started to respect him from that point on and it didn't take long until she started to develop romantic feelings for him.
- When Rudy entered the dungeon where Zenith was trapped in, he had to save Roxy first, who was also looking for Zenith, and almost died doing so.
- Supporting Protagonist: While the readers do follow his story, ultimately his role is to support Orsted in his quest to defeat Hitogami.
- Sweet on Polly Oliver: Developed a crush on Sylphy when he thought she was a boy. With the requisite "He's a guy, damn it!"
- Teacher/Student Romance: One-sided towards Roxy. She eventually reciprocates. As do his students Sylphy and Eris.
- Teen Genius: He is not an Instant Expert, but since Rudy kept the memories of his past self, he had a fully developed mind of an adult and picked up quickly on anything that he was interested in.
- Thou Shall Not Kill: While he has no trouble killing animals and monsters, he still struggles with the idea of killing human opponents.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: He practically raises himself. His parents don't notice it too much but Lilia is initially disturbed to the point of thinking he was possessed.
- The Unchosen One: For all of his accomplishments, he is not the one destined to defeat Hitogami. That's the job of The Chosen One who ends up helping out his descendants.
- The Unfettered: Will do anything to protect his family.
- Utility Magic: Uses magic for drinking water, making cookware, shelter, and even making dolls.
- World's Strongest Man: Initially built up as this, but averted later on with the introduction of the Seven World Powers. Even when he's made it into Rank 7 after defeating the North God, he felt he was still some way off without the aid of his tools and meticulous preparation.
- Your Cheating Heart: After Paul died and Zenith apparently suffered brain damage that left her in a persistent vegetative state, Rudy was struck with grief and had Sex for Solace with Roxy. He felt guilty about this, especially since he already married Sylphy and she was pregnant with his child.
Paul Notos Greyrat
Voiced by: Eiji Takemoto (Drama CD), Toshiyuki Morikawa (anime)
Rudeus' father and former leader of the Fangs of the Black Wolf.
- Amazon Chaser: Downplayed. He prefers more active women over nobles' daughters that wear too much makeup and don't exercise.
- Buxom Is Better: Loves women with big breasts. Just ask Zenith and Lilia.
- Drowning My Sorrows: After the Mana Catastrophe and at least a solid year of no confirmation as to whether anyone in his family was alive besides Norn, Paul's nearly a broken man taking to alcohol to evade his horrible nightmares of failing his family.
- Former Teen Rebel: He got out from his house at age 12.
- Handsome Lech: Before he settled with Zenith.
- Hard Work Hardly Works: He and Lilia trained at the same dojo. Although he spent more time goofing off and chasing skirts than training, he became a much better swordsman than she ever could.
- Lady Killer In Love: For Zenith. Even after marriage, he is still popular with the women around him.
- Law of Inverse Fertility: Zenith became pregnant after sleeping with him once, which led both of them to retire from adventuring.
- The Leader: He used to lead the S-ranked adventurer group known as the Fangs of the Black Wolf. After the Mana Catastrophe, he forms the Fedoa Search Group to look for survivors of the Fedoa region.
- Master Swordsman: That man is talented and motivated for sure.
- My God, What Have I Done?: After reuniting with Rudeus after years of separation and the Mana Catastrophe throwing almost the whole family to the winds, he quickly accuses Rudeus of goofing off and ignoring what was at stake since Rudeus never saw Paul's message to try to find everyone else, resulting in Rudeus flinging accusations right back and the two flipping out on each other. Gisu had to break things down to Paul for him to realize just how badly he screwed up in expecting Rudeus, dumped in the middle of the extremely dangerous Demon Continent, to handle a lot more solely due to being a Child Prodigy.
- Papa Wolf: He may be a lecher, but he will protect his family nonetheless.
- Retired Badass: Former adventurer turned border village knight.
- Sword and Sorcerer: Swordsman to Zenith's Sorcerer.
- Taking the Bullet: For Rudeus, at lowest level of Teleport Labyrinth against a hydra. He lost his lower half because of it.
- He Is All Grown Up: Lilia has this opinion after meeting him as an adult.
- Your Cheating Heart: Slept with Lilia while Zenith was pregnant. Accused of this by Rudeus while he is away from Lilia and Zenith after the Mana Catastrophe.
Voiced by: Hisako Kanemoto
Rudeus' mother and former member of the Fangs of the Black Wolf.
- Armor-Piercing Slap: When Rudeus states his intention marry his third wife Eris, and when he acted antagonistically towards his strict grandmother, not realizing her intentions.
- Blessed With Suck: Gets turned into a miko and gains the power of telepathy. In return she doesn't speak and everyone thinks she is amnesiac and mentally disabled for years.
- Healing Hands: She was her party's healer when she was still active as an adventurer.
- Human Popsicle: Trapped in a crystal at the lowest level of the Teleport Dungeon until saved by her family and her old comrades.
- Odd Friendship: With the taciturn Lilia.
- Maternally Challenged: After having a relatively easy time with Rudeus (who pretty much raised himself), she has a harder time taking care of Norn and Aisha. She pulls through with Lilia and Rudeus' help.
- Parents as People: She was raised conservatively, believing in monogamy, and was enraged after learning Paul and Lilia had an affair. Thanks to Rudeus, she finds it in herself to forgive Lilia, but is much slower to forgive Paul.
- Rebellious Princess: Born the second child of an Earl and raised to be a Proper Lady. By age 15, she became fed up and ran away from home.
- Retired Badass: Former adventurer turned ordinary housewife.
- Sword and Sorcerer: Sorcerer to Paul's Swordsman.
Voiced by: Lynn
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Suspicious towards Rudeus at first, but warms to him after he saves her from being expelled from the Greyrat family.
- Hired Help as Family: While the Greyrats see her as family, she still regards herself as the maid of the house even after joining them through marriage.
- Meido: Her occupation and position at the start of story.
- The Mistress: She was the one who seduced Paul. She ends up pregnant, and Paul marries her then.
- Ninja Maid: Before the start of story. Subverted in that, despite learning swordsmanship, she herself notes she had no special fighting talent and was hired as a disposable Human Shield.
- Not So Above It All: Played for Drama when she gave in to her lust and seduced Paul while Zenith was pregnant.
- Jokingly offers Aisha to Rudeus after she grows up and teases him by giving him Marshmallow Hell.
- Rape as Backstory: Paul was expelled from their dojo after forcefully taking her virginity. She brushed it off because 'Paul's not a bad guy', and in hindsight, decided her first time was better off with him rather than any of the fat depraved nobles in the palace she used to work at.
- Spell My Name with an "S": "Lilia" or "Lillia"?
- The Stoic: Rarely displays any outward emotion.
- Not So Stoic: Sheds grateful tears when Rudeus convinces his parents to let her stay, and again when he rescues her and Aisha from the clutches of Pax Shirone. She's also quite happy when Rudy and Aisha hit it off.
- Undying Loyalty: Out of gratitude to Rudeus, she dedicates her life, and the life of her daughter, Aisha to him.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: After her injury, she had to leave quickly to avoid being silenced.
Rudeus' younger sister by Zenith.
- Adorkable: She's very clumsy and shy, especially compared to her siblings. It's acknowledged in-series, where she even gets a fan club because of it.
- Aloof Big Brother: Inverted. She hated and feared Rudeus for years after he got into a fight with Paul during their reunion. After hearing others praise his good deeds, she starts to question her initial view of him and they eventually reconcile.
- Always Someone Better: The crux of Norn's childhood issues. While both of her siblings are bona fide geniuses and child prodigies, Norn is only an average child.
- Big Brother Worship: To Rudeus. Not that she can help it, he's Rudeus...
- Can't Catch Up: She just happens to have two brilliant siblings that excel at everything.
- Cool Big Sis: To Rudeus's children. Technically, she's their aunt but because of their close age, it's this.
- Daddy's Girl: Due to circumstances, she ends up really attached to her father.
- Interspecies Romance / Star-Crossed Lovers: With Ruijierd, a Supard, in all timelines.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Often mentioned as looking a lot like her mother.
- Student Council President: At Ranoa Magic Academy.
Rudeus' younger half-sister by Lilia.
- Big Brother Attraction: Implied when she feels jealous of Rudeus' affections towards his wife and occasionally offers herself to him.
- Big Brother Worship: To Rudeus. Not that she can help it, he's Rudeus...
- Cheerful Child: Bright and outgoing
- Cute Little Fangs: Drawn with these
- Cool Big Sis: To Rudeus's children. Technically, she's their aunt but because of their close age, it's this.
- Half-Sibling Angst: Has an inferiority complex from being conceived out of wedlock and thinks Paul doesn't care about her.
- Meido: To Rudeus.
- Odd Friendship: With Lynia later on.
- Refusal of the Call:
- She has the chance to attend Magic University and probably become one of the most talented fighters around. Instead she chooses to stay as a maid.
- Subverted. She is still powerful enough and has a knack at managerial skills. Later, she averts this trope by becoming his aide at Rudeus' Mercenary Company.
Rudeus' friends and allies
Sylphy, Silent Fitts
Voiced by: Ai Kayano
- A-Cup Angst: Laments her petite figure, especially in the presence of Ariel and Eris.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Until she met Rudeus, she was bullied because of her non-human ancestry.
- Affectionate Nickname: White Mama
- Bifauxnen: Rudeus thought she was a very pretty boy until he pulls down Sylphy's pants down. She is able to disguise herself as the male Silent Fitts and make the ladies swoon.
- Born Winner: Later it's revealed that she and Rudeus have the Laplace Factor. Orsted however states that without training extensively she and Rudeus wouldn't become that great.
- Boyish Short Hair: Her mother kept her hair short to make running away from bullies easier. After marrying Rudeus, she lets her hair grow out.
- Child Prodigy: Thanks to Rudeus, she becomes a powerful mage by age 7 and at age 10 she becomes Princess Ariel's new bodyguard after saving her from a rampaging magical creature that had killed her previous magical bodyguard.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She doesn't like Rudeus being with other women.
- Conveniently Unverifiable Cover Story: To explain Silent Fitts's sudden appearance and bodyguard appointment, Ariel passes him off as the former tutor of the Boreas Greyrats (who are not present to contest the claim after the Mana Catastrophe).
- Disease Bleach: Her hair turns white as a result of overusing her magic during the Mana Catastrophe. It's partially why Rudeus doesn't recognize her when they finally meet again.
- Healing Hands: Better at this than Rudeus, especially since he can't use healing magic without chanting.
- Heinz Hybrid: Human, Elven, and small portion of Beast race.
- Older Than They Look: A few decades later, when Eris and Rudeus have become old, she doesn't look any older than a woman in her thirties, due to her elven heritage.
- Rags to Riches: From the daughter of a poor hunter to one of Princess Ariel's retainers and later Rudeus' first wife.
- Red Mage: She is able to use offensive and healing spells chantlessly.
- Retired Badass: After Ariel ascends the throne, Sylphy decides to stay home and look after the children while everyone else goes adventuring and saves the world.
- Sweet Polly Oliver: To maintain her persona as Fitts, she wears more masculine clothing and avoids speaking when possible (which also gives her the "Silent" moniker).
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Green, as befitting of Magic race.
Eris Boreas Greyrat, Mad Dog Eris, Mad Sword King
Voiced by: Ai Kakuma
- A-Cup Angst: Eris doesn't take this well but has full confidence that she'll inherit her mother's Gag Boobs. By eighteen, she was right on the money, and Rudeus couldn't be more happy.
- Ain't Too Proud to Beg: After Orsted mortally wounds Rudeus in front of her, she cradles his dying body and screams for anyone to save him. Fortunately, Nanahoshi convinces Orsted to keep Rudeus alive.
- Affectionate Nickname: Red Mama.
- Aloof Older Brother: Though not by choice. Her brothers were sent to live with their uncle after Phillip lost a family power struggle.
- Badass Normal: Compared to Rudeus. While she has rudimentary skills in magic, she prefers to just charge in sword drawn.
- Dumb Muscle: Despite being a noble lady and taught by Rudeus, she ends up as an uneducated but high-ranked swordmaster.
- Fiery Redhead: And how! Age has treated her well, however, and she matured very nicely into a well-respected woman and mother in her adulthood.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: There is a reason why she is referred to as "Mad Dog".
- Insecure Love Interest: She worries that she's not Rudeus' type due to not being very feminine or studious.
- Kissing Cousins: She and Rudeus are distant cousins.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: Zig-Zagged; Rudy isn't that girlish, but Eris is more of a tomboy and aggressive than him. When they get married, he even considers himself more as being her wife.
- Master Swordsman: Very talented with the sword from an early age, eventually attaining the rank of Sword King.
- Never Learned to Read: When Rudeus first meets her, she's 8 years old, can't do math and only knows how to write her name. With his instruction, she becomes functionally literate.
- No Indoor Voice: Which she inherited from her grandfather. She learns to tone this down, but can bring it back when she needs to make a point.
- Ojou: Comes from being the only Philip's child that still lives with him.
- Passed in Their Sleep: In her sixties, she died when she took a nap after training, claiming she's just a bit tired, though still healthy. Her death drove Rudeus to a three-day Heroic BSoD.
- Red Baron: Mad Dog Eris.
- Took a Level in Badass: First, her training with Ghyslaine and Rudeus. Second, her journey from the Magic Continent to reach home with Ruijierd and Rudeus. Finally, leaving Rudeus to train under the Sword God directly.
- Tsundere: A heavy Type A at first towards Rudeus, but after they confessed their feelings and had sex, she mellowed out considerably, turning into a mild Type B.
Roxy M. Greyrat
Roxy Migurdia, God, Master
Voiced by: Ryo Hirohashi (Drama CD), Konomi Kohara (anime)
A member of Migurd Race and Rudy's first magic teacher.
- A-Cup Angst: Is insecure about her child-like body, but Rudeus loves her nonetheless.
- All of the Other Reindeer: She's the only Migurd who can't speak telepathically. This led to her leaving her village.
- Affectionate Nickname: Blue Mama.
- Badass in Distress: While searching for Zenith, she winds up trapped in the Teleport Labyrinth for a month, slowly running out of food and mana. She is eventually overwhelmed by the labyrinth's monsters and can only await her impending doom.
- Badass Teacher: She's quite a powerful mage and Rudy's first magic teacher. After semi-retiring from adventuring, she settles down to teach at Ranoa Magic Academy.
- Braids of Action: She has this despite being badass in magic department.
- Covert Pervert: Rudeus catches her secretly masturbating to his parents having sex making nyannyan noises.
- The Lost Lenore: She dies in the alternate timeline, together with the baby in her womb.
- Love at First Sight: The moment Rudeus rescues her from certain death, he appeared to her like a Knight In Shining Armour, and she instantly fell in love with him. She doesn't realize though that this good-looking man in front of her is her Rudy until after he gives his name.
- Making a Splash: Specializes in water magic.
- My Greatest Failure: She eventually regrets her failure to properly instruct Pax Shirone after his Motive Rant. Yes, he was a Royal Brat, but Roxy expected way too much from him after mentoring Rudeus and never praised his efforts in learning magic.
- Older Than They Look: She's 44 the first time she meets Rudeus but doesn't look she's past 12. Even well into the future, near Rudeus's death and well past Eris's passing, she still looks the same.
- Panty Shot: In the manga and becomes a Running Gag to boot.
- Rescue Romance: With Rudeus no less! She had always fantasized about marrying her rescuer, and he fulfills it.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: As befitting of Demon race.
A female beastkin who became a retainer in the Boreas Greyrat House and former member of the Fangs of the Black Wolf.
- Boobs of Steel: Has one of the biggest pairs in the series and is one of the most badass Action Girls.
- Dumb Muscle: It is testament how good Rudeus at teaching to successfully teach her and Eris reading and magic.
- Former Teen Rebel: Even called an Evil Child in her childhood.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: She has several major scars from her battles in her youth as an adventurer.
- Master Swordsman: Holds the title of Sword King and instructs Eris and Rudeus in the sword.
- Ms. Fanservice: She sports an impressive amazonian physique which is exposed by her revealing outfit.
- Never Learned to Read: Until Rudeus teaches her. In her adventuring days, she couldn't read maps or realize when she was being cheated. These sorts of stories help motivate Eris to also learn to read.
- Stripperific: By her own choice.
- Three-Way Sex: Had this when she was younger with Paul (then unmarried) and Elinalise.
A Supard warrior who helped Rudeus and Eris out of Magic Continent and to people whom they know. An Atoner who would always protect children.
- The Atoner: Ruijierd makes it his life purpose to restore the honor of the Supard race.
- Blade on a Stick: Fights primarily with a spear.
- Berserk Button: Never harm a child in Ruijierd's presence.
- The Dreaded: Ruijierd is known as "Dead End" on the Magic Continent and is quite literally the bogeyman of the magic races, as parents warn their children to behave or "Dead End" will get them. Towns will summon every guard and adventurer to drive him off if he's spotted.
- Friend to All Children: Ruijierd always helps children no matter what the circumstances, be it rescuing them from kidnappers or leading two home across multiple continents.
- Interspecies Romance=/=MayflyDecember Romance: With Norn in all timelines.
- Knight Errant: Ruijierd follows a very strict warrior's code and displays many of this trope's personality traits.
- Last of His Kind: Ruijierd may very well be the last of the Supard race and is the only one confirmed to have survived to the present. In Volume 23, Rudeus comes across Ruijierd again in a Supard village hidden in a forest.
- Proud Warrior Race Guy: Ruijierd is this to a mild degree.
- Shipper on Deck: For Rudeus and Eris. He also teases Rudeus for not noticing Eris' feelings.
- So Proud of You: When the time comes for them to part, he praises Rudeus and Eris for how much they've grown as warriors.
- Spell My Name with an "S": "Ruijierd" or "Ruijerd"? Most of examples in this page use Ruijierd but there are translation works that use Ruijerd.
- Tragic Keepsake: The spear he wields originally belonged to his long-dead son.
- Walking the Earth: What Ruijierd does to restore his race's honor as well as find if any other Supard survived the war.
Voiced by: Houko Kuwashima (Drama CD)
- Affectionate Nickname: Cliff calls her "Lize".
- Beta Couple: With Cliff
- Easy Amnesia: She was found in a dungeon as a Human Popsicle without any previous memory.
- Ethical Slut: She really gets around and open about it. Turns out she is cursed to have sex all the time or she will die. When she goes a few days without sex she weakens significantly.
- Happily Married: Ends up being married to Cliff and having a son with him.
- Hartman Hips: Shown to have a small bust, but very shapely hips and legs.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: She is Rawls' mother, which means Sylphy is her granddaughter. When the two meet, Elinalise explains her relation to Sylphy.
- Mysterious Past: Everyone, even Hitogami and Orsted, only knows her history from 200 years ago due to amnesia.
- Ms. Fanservice: Hot body? Really Gets Around? Dresses up sexily? Check.
- Really Gets Around: She enjoys sex and can have different partners in different nights.
- Really 700 Years Old: At least 200 years old. Emphasize on "At Least". Even she doesn't know how old she is as she started her new life 200 years ago.
- Second Love: To Cliff
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: Not the least bit shy in expressing her love with Cliff.
Grandson of the Pope, Rudeus' senior classmate at the Magic Academy.
- Amazon Chaser: He fell for Eris after watching her effortlessly take down a group of assassins, but was rejected. Then he gets together with S-rank adventurer Elinalise.
- Badass Bookworm: While not as strong as Rudeus, his genius even impresses Orsted.
- Beta Couple: With Elinalise
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Male version.
- Dulcinea Effect: How he falls in love with Elinalise.
- The Exile: Same with Zanoba and other kids of losing side of political squabble, he is sent to Magic Academy as this.
- Eyepatch of Power: After getting his identification Magic Eye from Kishirika, he keeps it hidden under an eye patch until he needs to use it.
- Happily Married: To Elinalise. They even have a son together.
- Hopeless Suitor: To Eris in the beginning.
- Insufferable Genius: Starts out as this. He gets better.
- The Lost Lenore: He dies in the alternate timeline which leads Elinalise to leave and never be seen again.
- Self-Proclaimed Love Interest: Was this to Eris.
Miko and Prince of Shirone, Rudeus' classmate at the Magic Academy.
- Accidental Murder: He ripped off the heads of his little brother and his late wife at their wedding night off due to a combination of super strength and not being aware of the difference between humans and dolls.
- Ascended Fanboy: In-universe. He is a big fan of dolls and admires Rudeus' for his skills as dollmaker. He ends up being the leader of Rudeus' doll productions.
- Blue-and-Orange Morality: Has no problems with killing people or buying a slave. He is still a loyal friend and devoted to his country, however.
- The Bluebeard: He ripped his first wife's head off.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: He has the chance to be smart, but if the teacher is not named Rudeus Greyrat, he wouldn't be properly motivated enough to learn. This is the reason for his Strong, but Unskilled, but still.... see his Hidden Depths.
- Celibate Hero: Finds the topic of sex boring, though he at least knows about it.
- The Exile: Same with Cliff and other kids of losing side of political squabble, he is sent to Magic Academy as this.
- Hidden Depths: While he is certainly Brilliant, but Lazy, he was forced to learn about war and political knowledge. So in War in Shirone arc, he is the one who motivates the troops against outnumbering enemies and the one who make the battle strategy in that sector. He also recognizes the effect of enemy commander's death in political term.
- Besides his love of dolls, he has great knowledge and appreciation for art.
- He also turns out to be a surprisingly competent negotiator
- Idiot Savant: If you ignore his Hidden Depths, he is this as he has stunted emotional response but is very skilled at making dolls.
- Manchild: He is this thanks to being Miko, he has Blue-and-Orange Morality. After gradual Character Development, he phases some, if not most, of this.
- Otaku: He's a big fan of dolls and becoming a fan and, later, a disciple of doll-making to Rudeus.
- MayDecember Romance: Seems to end up with the slave he bought for doll-making. He is nearing his forties and she just enters early teenage years.
- Interspecies Romance: Said significant other is a female dwarf.
- Red Baron: Head Ripping Prince
- Super Strength: His Miko power.
- Strong, but Unskilled: He has Super Strength but is too lazy to learn proper martial training.
- Sympathetic Slave Owner: Apparently treats his slave better than most people he interacted with before.
Lynia Dedorudia and Pursena Adorudia
- Big Eater: Pursena is constantly snacking on meat while attending school. This habit bites her back later when she is ordered to guard the Beast people's emergency food supply.
- Boobs of Steel: Like most Beast Race females, both are capable fighters with large breasts to match.
- Cat Girl: Lynia also shows certain cat-like behaviors.
- Defeat Means Friendship: After Rudeus defeats them both, they become completely submissive to him.
- Girl Friday: They become the Representative Director and Vice-Director at the Rude Mercenary Company under Rudeus.
- Ignored Enamored Underling: Lynia makes not-so-subtle advances toward Rudeus
- Little Bit Beastly: Both have animal ears and tail
- Make Me Wanna Shout: Pursena can use Howl magic to restrict her opponent's movements. She is able to overcome Zanoba but Rudeus counters by conjuring a dust cloud to make her choke.
- Meido: Attempted, but Lynia turns out to be pretty bad at house work.
Voiced by: Shigeru Chiba (Drama CD)
Gisu is the last survivor of the Nuka race and former member of the Fangs of the Black Wolf.
- Action Survivor: Gisu has the highest adventurer rank but essentially no combat skills, relying instead on his many other abilities outside of combat.
- The Dog Was the Mastermind: Hitogami's hidden trump card, whose existence was never discovered but always resulted in Orsted's defeat, is the seemingly harmless Gisu.
- Last of His Kind: Gisu is the last survivor of the Nuka race after his hometown was destroyed due to Hitogami manipulating Gisu. And then he, too, dies.
- Little Bit Beastly: Not that you can spot him as human in first glance but he is a member of the monkey-like Nuka race.
- Spell My Name with an "S": "Gisu" or "Geese"?
- Supreme Chef: His fellow adventurers praise his cooking. He taught Zenith to cook for the man she loves, but this indirectly led to their party splitting up. Because of this, he refuses to teach Eris when she asks him too.
- Utility Party Member: His worth in party is his skill outside of battle, such as preparing supplies, navigation and negotiation.
- Walking Spoiler: There are spoilered bits in his entry, click at your own risk.
- What the Hell, Hero?: When Gisu calls out Paul on expecting way too much from Rudeus when he was already busy trying to survive the Magic Continent while escorting Eris with him.
- Gisu does this again, calling out Rudeus for being ungrateful when he betrayed Hitogami, who despite trying to kill Roxy had still given Rudeus a lot of help and a good life.
Silent, Silent Seven-star
A mysterious genius student who is also an inventor residing at Ranoa Magic Academy.
- The Ageless: Nanahoshi suffers from this. On top of not aging, she also notes her hair and fingernails don't grow.
- Badass and Child Duo: With Orsted
- Comfort Food: She dislikes this world's food, except for Rudeus' homemade rice balls, potato chips, grilled fish and other Japanese style foods which remind her of home.
- Cool Mask: She wears one the first time she met Rudeus, Eris and Ruijierd.
- Despair Event Horizon: Happens to Nananoshi when her experiment to transport her to her old world fails. However, she regains her will to live after Zanoba shows her his autonomous doll (with its layered Magic circles) and starts making greater breakthroughs in her research.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Positive example. From Ordinary High-School Student to top-level magic researcher and famous inventor.
- Human Popsicle: To prolong her life until she could be safely teleported to her old world.
- Ill Girl: Because her body can't adapt with high density of magic in her new world. She has to regularly drink a special medicinal tea to purge the magic from her body.
- The Not-Love Interest: Rudeus goes through great lengths to save her life multiple times and confides in her enough to make Sylphy jealous, though they both insist there's nothing romantic going on.
- Ordinary High-School Student: Before the story starts.
- Trapped in Another World: With no desire to stay around and suffering dangerous side effects to boot; see Ill Girl.
- This Is My Name on Foreign: Silent seven star(s) is the literal translation of Shizuka Nanahoshi.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: She believes she inadvertently caused the Mana Catastrophe when she was brought into Rudeus' world.
Continent ResidencesBy the way the story is presented (and spoiler), it is easier to categorize the character by their residences.
- Anti-Human Alliance: If led by Demon King Laplace, they stage conflicts against human. This fueled many prejudices against non-human in general not just limited to people from Demon Continents.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Most of them appear monstrous but they aren't too bad.
- Planet of Hats: Some communities have it.
- Mordor: Most dangerous and least fertile of known continents.
- Absurdly Youthful Mothers: And fathers to boot.
- Older Than They Look: Adult members appear to be in their early teens.
Demon King Badigadi
One of Living Demon Kings under Laplace. Leader of Moderate faction. Is also The Armor God and so, one of 7 Major Power.
- Good Thing You Can Heal: Getting his body blown off by Rudy's strongest attack? Laugh it off, congratulate Rudy and next day he appears fine.
- Unskilled, but Strong: He has no technique whatsoever, relying solely on his monstrous strength, durability and Healing Factor.
Demon Queen Kishirika Kishirisu
- Age-Inappropriate Dress: She wears a tube top and hot pants despite looking like a child.
- Magical Eye: Has them and can grant them to anyone that helps her out.
- Older Than They Look: Thousands of years old but looks like a prepubescent girl.
- The Tease: When Rudeus half-jokingly asks her to repay him with her body, she makes a show of stripping off her pants before 'remembering' she still has a husband.
Demon Queen Atofe Latofe
- Defeat Means Friendship: If someone won over her, she will be on your side, whatever your issue.
- Graceful Loser: She admits defeat to Rudeus
- Immortality: Not only is she thousands of years old, her Healing Factor makes her impossible to kill.
- Interspecies Romance: With a human.
- Outliving One's Offspring: Inevitable as her son is half-human and most other races are not as long-lived as the Immortal Race.
Hitogami, Human God
Literally Human God. A mysterious entity that appears in Rudeus' dreams to help him by giving information.
- A God Am I: If he introduces himself as "Human God", he has high opinion of himself so to speak.
- Arch-Enemy: To the Dragon Tribe.
- Expy: To Truth from Fullmetal Alchemist, though Hitogami is more self-serving and actively malevolent.
- It's All About Me: Every help he has given will benefit him one way or another.
- Karma Houdini: He always gets away from bad consequences of his actions, but....
- Karma Houdini Warranty: Orsted and his allies worked hard to achieve this and this loop they have bigger probability than before.
- Manipulative Bastard: Every helps he give is counted to make someone believes in him then to lead them to a trap.
- Obviously Evil: Rudeus can't feel at ease at his presence.
- Offscreen Villainy: Somehow he managed to piss off Dragon Tribe so much they put up every effort to oppose him.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: He is more well-known by his "Human God" title. Usually the only ones who know the name "Hitogami" are people he has directly talked with.
- Precognition: His power
- This Is My Name on Foreign: "Hitogami" literally means Human God though he claims the former really is his name.
The Rewind Miko
An ordinary girl who uses her power as miko to defend her country.
- All There in the Manual: Only appears in the canon side story.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: To Akito
- Blessed With Suck: Her ability to experience and remember "Groundhog Day" Loop.
- Empty Shell: The mental trauma from her ability to remember each of her deaths during Orsted's time loops eventually reduced her to a point where her only memories were of her hundreds of deaths.
- The Greatest Story Never Told: All of main casts even Hitogami and Orsted don't know who she is and what she has gone through, let alone she exists.
- "Groundhog Day" Loop: She lives through one due to her power letting her remember each of Orsted's loops. Despite her best efforts her life is largely unchanged between the loops until Akito is summoned and killed. Her attempt to save his life triggers Rudeus' birth and the Mana Catastrophe in the next loop.
- Only Known by Their Nickname
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: The Mana Catastrophe and Rudeus' birth were caused by her dying wish to save Akito after he saved her from her personal hell.
Dragon God Orsted
A member of Dragon Tribe who oppose Hitogami and later becomes Rudeus' Boss.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: Towards Orsted's Mercenary Company.
- Benevolent Boss: He doesn't think twice in paying the costs for his underlings and giving rewards for those who do him good deeds.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Of the few battles he's fought, none of his opponents came even close to winning.
- Cursed With Awesome: He is Immune to Fate and can do "Groundhog Day" Loop but, in return, his mana regeneration is very slow. He considers this a good price is what prevents this ability becoming Blessed With Suck.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Invoked. He deliberately crushes the North God's spirit during their fight to make him join his cause.
- Determinator: See "Groundhog Day" Loop. One who readily does that countless times must have very strong resolution and wouldn't give up on his/her goals.
- The Dreaded: He has the Curse of Hatred, which automatically makes him hated and feared by anyone in his presence. Certain individuals, such as Rudeus and his family are immune. Cliff later creates a magic helmet for him to counteract this curse.
- Face of a Thug: He has scary looking face thanks to his stare.
- "Groundhog Day" Loop:He repeats decades before Demon King is revived for countless times until he can kill Hitogami.
- The Hero: To Rudeus' The Lancer.
- Immune to Fate: Minimal requirement in opposing Hitogami, as Hitogami can deceive people and read their minds.
- Katanas Are Just Better: His God Blade is a katana.
- Made of Iron: During his second fight with Rudeus he takes several Emperor rank spells and even an informal God rank(which was equivalent to a nuke, which only cause a few injuries that he immediately heals.
- Magic Knight: The few times he's fought seriously, he's shown to be this.
- Master of All: He's incredibly good at just about every form of magic and sword fighting, thanks to the "Groundhog Day" Loop he's stuck in.
- Mr. Exposition: He explains to Rudeus the series' true nature and his, and the Dragon Tribe's, goal in killing Hitogami.
- Our Dragons Are Different: He is a member of Dragon Tribe.
- Perpetual Frowner: The number of moments he doesn't frown in the series proper can be counted by one's hands.
- Poor Communication Kills: Almost literally. He fatally wounds Rudeus after thinking he was an apostle of Hitogami. But then heals him from the brink of death after Nanahoshi convinces him to let Rudeus live for now.
- Story-Breaker Power: Quite possibly the most powerful fighter on the planet. However, he stays out of most fights because of his extremely slow mana recovery.
- Walking Spoiler
- Would Hurt a Child: Apart from nearly killing pre-teen Rudeus, he also tried going after the reincarnated Laplace as a baby.