- Voice: Yui YoshiiAge: 15Pet: Kiniro the Kabutan
The game's protagonist, Reco is the princess of Hoshifuri Village. When she was young, she got lost in the nearby Shinju Forest. There she met Aki and Kiniro, becoming friends with each of them. She's immune to the sickness affecting her village, and decides to visit the mysterious god of the Koujuu to appeal to save their lives.
In the second game, Reco has become the new goddess of the Koujuu in Shinju Forest, protecting and guiding them much as Aki did. When an army of hostile Koujuu invades from another land, she goes to find whatever it is causing them to attack, to defeat it and save both her village and her forest.
In Bug Panic!, she ventures off on her own without Kiniro or Palm to discover what is making the Koujuu leave the Forest.
- Action Girl: In addition to going through the game series without appearing to break a sweat, she is also fully capable of fighting on foot.
- Creator Cameo: Her voice actress is also a beta tester, and did a promotional video for DoDonPachi Dai Fukkatsu.
- Friend to All Living Things: She is portrayed this way in Mushihime-tama. In Futari she refers to the Koujuu under her guardianship as "children", which only one of these could possibly call gigantic toxic bugs.
- Going Commando: She wears no panties under her skirt, as shown in the official figures, as confirmed by director Tsuneki Ikeda.
- The Immune: The reason she goes off into the Forest to appeal to the Koujuu God is that she's immune to the sickness that befalls anyone who ventures near the Koujuu. It turns out that the only reason she's immune is due to the bracelet Aki gave her as a child. In fact, when he gave her that, he gave up his own immunity, which is why he's dying by the end of the game.
- Magic Skirt: In all official artwork, she somehow manages to avoid showing her privates.
- Nice Hat: Some kind of insect-shell-thing.
- Say My Name: "Parumuuuuuuuuuuuu!"
- Sexy Backless Outfit: Her new outfit in Futari.
- Sideboob: Her new outfit in Futari.
- Stripperiffic: Most of her outfits, at least in official artwork. Her outfit in the first game is actually an ankle-length dress cut on one side, though the official artwork makes this near-impossible to see. It's more apparent in her in-game sprite.
- You Can't Go Home Again: Taking on the duty as the Koujuu God means it's impossible for her to ever return to her village. She is assumed dead.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: And in Futari her hair becomes fiery-orange at the tips.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Many of her outfits feature this.
Reco's best friend among the Koujuu, a golden flying beetle. Kiniro met her during one of her walks in the forest, and helps her out when she decides to appeal to the Koujuu God. He continues to help in Futari, once again serving as Reco's mount.
- Drama-Preserving Handicap: He falls ill in Bug Panic!, and thus isn't able to help Reco on her adventure. With his help she could probably have finished Bug Panic! without any effort. His sickness was because he was resisting Hakugin's call to destroy humanity.
- Fantastic Racism: He is noted to dislike the Kurogane beetles among the Koujuu... which also happen to be the favored Koujuu by the current Koujuu God.
- My Species Doth Protest Too Much: The only Koujuu in the original game who is openly friendly with a human, and helps her fight back against his own kind.
- Voice: Aiko WaheiAge: Unclear, apparently 15Pet: Akka the Kurogane
A mysterious boy who visits Reco on her visits to the Shinju Forest. At the end of the game, he's revealed to be the "God" of the Koujuu, and after fighting her, tells her that his strength is exhausted and she must take his place, protecting the humans from the Koujuu and vice versa.
- Deity of Human Origin: He's called the god of the Koujuu, and he's human. It's more of a God Job than anything actually divine though.
- Fighting Your Friend: He and Reco are childhood friends, and neither wants to fight the other. But Reco fought many Koujuu on her way to him, and he must defend them against the invader as part of his duty. Reco also mourns him terribly upon his death.
- Final Boss: Himself and Ruriigohon Kurisu, one of the most powerful Koujuu in the forest. If you qualify for the True Final Boss, his own beetle friend Akka will save him after Kurisu's death, and fight back alongside him just as Kiniro does for Reco.
- I'm Dying, Please Take My MacGuffin: He hands over a feather-like charm to Reco as he dies, saying she's now the goddess of the Koujuu in Shinju Forest.
- Voice: Naomi IidaAge: 9Pet: Hirow the Dragon
Prince Palm, age 9, is the youngest prince of Utakata Village. He was sent to Shinju Forest to die, but joined up with Reco instead.
- Child Mage: Barely 9 years old, and already quite skilled at magic.
- Dragon Rider: Like his mother, he has a dragon as a mount.
- Magic Staff: He uses this to enhance Hirow's power.
- Say My Name: "Reco-chaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!"
- The Un-Favourite: His mother tries repeatedly to kill him (after going insane), while doting on Aki.
- Voice: Miho Nakamura
She is the queen of Utakata Village and the mother of both Aki and Palm. After discovering that Aki died, she wages war against Shinju Forest.
- Abusive Parent: She sent Palm to kill whatever it was that killed Aki, and decides to kill him when he protests that Reco doesn't deserve to die.
- Ax-Crazy: After Aki's death.
- Big Bad: Of Futari.
- Bishoujo Line: She's much prettier and more healthy-looking when she takes on her Spiritual Larsa form in Futari Black Label.
- Dragon Rider: She learned how to tame and control dragons as a weapon against the Koujuu.
- Final Boss: Of the second game. She gains a new phase on Ultra, and a One-Winged Angel form in Black Label's God mode.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: She considers everything and everyone expendable except for Aki.
- Gonk: She is one fat mother.
- Mama Bear: Her reaction to her son's death is to start a massive war on his behalf.
- Noblewoman's Laugh: "OHOHOHOHOHOHO!"
- Prepare to Die: With a smug tone to Palm before fighting him.
- Revenge Before Reason: The death of Aki has clearly driven her off the deep end: she desires nothing more than revenge for his death.
- Unstoppable Rage: The only thing that ultimately quells her rage and murderous desires is killing her.
- Would Hurt a Child: Reco is legally a child, and Palm is her own son.
- Age: 15Pet: Hakugin
A mysterious dark-haired girl who seems to be summoning all of the Koujuu to one location for some reason. She is actually a young girl from Amagase village who, similar to Reco, became a protector goddess for the Koujuu. She is based at Tsukiyo Peaks.
- Magical Flutist: The method by which she's apparently luring Koujuu away. It's actually a tool used by her people to calm and communicate with the Koujuu, particularly the Hakugin. The thing luring the Koujuu away is something else.
A silver beetle Koujuu. It is Sora's partner, and is trapped within an egg in the ruins of Larsa's palace.
- Being Tortured Makes You Evil: Larsa tortured it to learn more about the Koujuu... and as revenge for Aki. She also killed numerous Koujuu in front of it, leading it to desire revenge on mankind.
- Big Bad: It's the one luring Koujuu to it, not Sora.
- Defeat Means Friendship: It apologizes after Reco defeats it in battle, saying that its anger at what Larsa did was no justification to trying to kill all humans. It even says that it was good to meet Palm, despite him being Larsa's son. (The fact that Palm apologized for what his mother did probably helped.)
- Immortality: It's basically a phoenix minus the fire; when it dies, its remains form an egg from which it is reborn.