open/close all folders
- Butt-Monkey: Adam himself more often than not, being antagonized by his boss and variously ignored, insulted, pranked and thwarted by Derby.
- Iron Butt-Monkey: So far he's been struck by lightning, fought an Alligator, taken multiple weights being dropped upon him, fallen out of a building, been thrown around and about a dozen other things, and he's yet to break a single bone.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Towards Echo, Played for Laughs.
- Covert Pervert
- First Kiss: With Echo in ''Mr. First Impression.
- Grade Skipper: By the time Adam Young was old enough to be a High School student, he was a teacher.
- Love Makes You Crazy: Adam is ordinarily the most rational character on the show, but that disappears the moment his crush on Echo gets involved. Reaches Love Makes You Evil levels at times, like in "Mr. Shakespeare" when he tries to murder Hutch to prevent him from kissing Echo in the school play.
- Mad Scientist: Comes off as this at times, he uses Derby as a guinea pig.
- Meaningful Name: He's the youngest teacher at the school at only 14 years old.
- Multi Disciplinary Scientist: Adam is master of pretty much what ever field of science is useful to there present situation, be it chemistry, Biology, Genetics, Neurobiology, Psychology etc. However he does seem best at and prefers physics.
- Official Couple: With Echo.
- Only Sane Man: Compared to the rest of the cast, he and Echo are the only ones who aren't completely doolally.
- Smart Guy: How do you think he ended up being a teacher ?
- Student Teacher Romance: Would like one with Echo, eventually gets it.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Or is it?
- Big Damn Kiss
- Brainy Brunette: Smartest kid in Adam's class.
- Granola Girl
- Hidden Depths: She's a Star Wars fan.
- Not just star wars, she practically obsessed with all forms of fantasy and science fiction, to the point where she can speak over a dozen fictional languages and has seen nearly every science fiction film there is. She also likes Fantasy Role play.
- Meaningful Name: Adam tends to agree (or pretend to agree) with everything she says, that is to say he echoes her opinions.
- Nice Girl
- Official Couple: With Adam.
- Only Sane Man: Along with Adam, a recurring Gag is her staring in shock, disbelief and just plain confusion when ever the others around pull of there ridiculous (or even impossible) antics and stupidity.
- All Men Are Perverts
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Occasionally implied, several of his schemes are unnaturally complicated. One episode showed that if he was motivated enough he could create a fully-functional jetpack, which ran on a fuel source that hadn't even been proven to exist until then.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: As his wrestling persona "The Aligator", and in his daredevil persona "Demolition Derby"
- Deadpan Snarker: Sometimes he can pull off a good one.Adam: Today, we're going to learn about personality.
Derby: And you're going to teach us?
- Genius Ditz: He's unbelievably stupid most of the time but he still pulls off completely insane schemes and every once in a while he shows knowledge on science.
- Hidden Depths: Derby sometimes shows he's very smart in science, even being the first person to solve the Pollock ocathedral numbers conjecture completely by accident.
- Hollywood Nerd: Technically more of a loser, as he isn't that bright academically.
- Nice Guy
- Reality Warper
- Too Dumb to Live: But still pretty clever when comes to schemes.
- With Friends Like These...
- Ambiguously Human: It's stated in one episode that he looks the exact same now as he did when he was born, which is made weirder by the fact that he's far larger than any of the human characters. He's also far stronger and more durable than any of the other characters to the point that in one episode an anvil breaks when dropped on his head, and he doesn't even flinch, but that could just be Rule of Funny. Also, Adam upon first meeting him notes that he "can really see the Bigfoot", but he might have just been joking.
- The Bully
- Body Horror: A running gag really.
- The Dreaded: In the pilot, Derby describes him as a cross between Godzilla and Bigfoot.
- HeelFace Revolving Door
- Hidden Depths: Slab is a fan of Ballet, classical music (to the point he beat up Derby for misplaying a symphony) and Astronomy.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Punch Clock Jerkass
- Sitcom Arch Enemy: To Derby.
- Starter Villain: Main antagonist of the first episode, before Adam tamed him.
- Too Dumb to Live
- Arch-Enemy: To Adam to some extent.
- Sitcom Arch Enemy: He often shows a strong level of animosity towards Adam and often tries to get him fired, or even killed when ever he can. This doesn't stop him running to Adam for help, exploiting and forcing Adam to help or the two teaming up when they share a goal.
- Bald Of Jerkass
- Butt-Monkey: Arguably the best example on the show. Even in the opening he's the only person who seems unhappy to be in the show.
- Dirty Coward
- Manchild: "I never learned to cook. Mommy won't let me use the owie-maker."
- Too Dumb to Live: One wonders how he got to be a principal. Given this is a Crapsack World, it is kind of believable.
- All Asians Know Martial Arts
- Almighty Janitor: To Reality Warping levels.
- Ambiguously Human: He looks and is treated like a human, but can teleport, defy gravity, be in two places at the same time, and go inside a computer screen.
- Asian Speekee Engrish
- Catchphrase: At the mere mention of his name, he appears and says "You called?"
- Phrase Catcher: This is followed by everyone else screaming "Aaaaahhhh!"
- Large Ham
- Bi the Way: if Mr. Servant and Mr. Impossible are any indication.
- Kindhearted Simpleton
- Lovable Jock
- Parental Neglect: His parents never threw him a birthday party, as he was born on Halloween.
- Ambiguously Human: She seems human, and there is no indication she isn't, however she is apparently several thousand years old.
- Catchphrase: Who has heard of the war of 1812?
- Really 700 Years Old / Time Abyss: Parodied; she wears coats made of real sabre-toothed tiger fur, has seen Halley's Comet 6 times, misses the time before the Sun and was once "Miss Constantinople".
- Token Nonhuman: There are other nonhuman characters, but he's the only one to have appeared more than once.