Character list for Mousou Telepathy
open/close all folders
Aya NakanoOur heroine. Ever since she was a child, she has had the ability to read the minds of the people around her, which causes her no end of grief. Moreover, she seems to be the only person in the setting to have such an ability, isolating her further. Her current problem is her classmate Toda, who can't seem to get her out of his head.
- Blessed with Suck: You would think having telepathy is a great power, but it often gets in the way of everything and sometimes overwhelms her if she's in a large crowd. Hearing everyone's true thoughts only makes her frustrated and even upset if they concern her.
- Covert Pervert: Realizes she's one when it's revealed that her powers only let her hear thoughts, not see them; all the images she gets with her power come completely from her own imagination.
- Cute Glasses Girl: The only one of the main cast.
- Heroic BSoD: She has a big one in volume 5, where she realizes that her telepathy is only partly correct. She begins to have a huge existential crisis about the issue, coming to the conclusion that she made everything, including the world, up.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Despite claiming to not like Toda at the start, she spends quite a bit of time obsessing over his every thought, though it doesn't help that she can read his mind (where he thinks of her 24/7). Eventually realizes she's in love with him towards the end of the story.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Cares for a stray cat she found on the sidewalk, although she can't exactly keep it in her house.
- Psychological Projection: An interesting telepathic version of the trope. The thoughts are all there, but all of the images and scenarios that Nakano sees are her own to fill in the gaps. Meaning, for example, Nakano projects her own expectations and fantasies of sensual or sexy imagine spots onto others unknowingly.
- Shy Blue-Haired Girl: In real life, she was not very talkative or social before the plot kicked off, and still isn't to some extent. Part of it is due to her ability.
- Telepathy: The main source of conflict for her. Hearing everyone's thoughts before she can even talk to them allows her to pick up on the mood, but it also makes her more wary of them and she usually doesn't get to use it to her advantage.
Hayato TodaNakano's stoic classmate, and one of the most attractive boys in her school. Handsome, good at sports, and a natural born leader, Toda gets all sorts of attention from both girls and boys alike. However, he only has one thing on his mind: Nakano, and he's very good at hiding it...from everyone except her.
- The Ace: The best soccer player in his high school, and considered the diamond in the rough along with Shimizu by the coach of one of the region's best soccer teams.
- Big Man on Campus: Toda is one, due to his handsome looks, athletics, intelligence, and cool demeanor. Nakano often tells herself that she'd be attracted to him as well, if only she didn't know what he was like on the inside. Though as it turns out she doesn't know him as well as she thinks she does.
- Chivalrous Pervert: There's a million things that he would like to do with Nakano, and often has wild and sexy fantasies about her. However, he's nothing short of helpful to her in life and keeps his distance. Downplayed later on however, as it turns out Nakano was Projecting.
- First Love: The subject of Mana's, although it goes unfulfilled.
- Frozen Face: As repeatedly mentioned, his face is permanently expressionless. His family has a history of a certain condition that makes them unable to emote.
- Hormone-Addled Teenager: He has his wants and needs as well, and especially gets bothered about Nakano. He just can't express it like other kids.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Toda is only attracted to Nakano. When other men wonder what's happening on the girls' side in the hot spring, he's the only one who specifically imagines her. When Toda tries imagining himself paired with Mana, he finds himself not attracted to her at all.
- The Stoic: Though surprisingly, not by choice or personality; extras revealed that his face is stuck like that permanently. His inner self is much more expressive, but only his friends and Nakano can understand that.
- Strong Family Resemblance: His mother, sister, and cousin all share the same facial features, and his immediate family is all red haired.
Mana AzumaToda's childhood friend. She's social, loyal, and perceptive, but initially hostile to Nakano because she perceived her as a threat to her relationship with Toda. Her clinginess to him made her an object of scorn in class.
- A-Cup Angst: She's a little miffed about her cup size, especially when she compares herself to the busty Nakano.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: While on the surface she's amiable and social, on the inside she hide some nasty and blunt thoughts. The twist here is that the whole class already knew, and they treat her like she's a big faker.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Of the "Unlucky" variety. They still remain friends, though.
- Cleaning Up Romantic Loose Ends: Eventually gets into a relationship with Sano.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Starts out like this in an effort to protect Toda from being hurt romantically and because she likes him herself, and she was especially wary of Nakano. Does have a deconsruction: since everyone already knew of Mana's crush, they think that any attempt to socialize or join in activities is a result of Toda.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: After her initial arc, Mana stopped wearing her hair in twin drills and keeps her hair straightened.
- The Gadfly: Mana becomes this to Sano, much to his frustration.
- Lady Looks Like a Dude: The extra comics revealed that she looked very boyish as a child, and she ended up befriending Toda when he initially mistook her for a boy.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Her thoughts become less abrasive over the course of the story, and she did make strides to talk to others outside of her friends circle.
- Unrequited Love: In love with Toda for years, but he just can't see her that way, even after she confesses to him. She eventually gets over this.
Akira YashiraA childhood friend of Toda's, and his classmate. Generally a friendly, laid-back fellow.
- Official Couple: Has a girlfriend in college.
Kiyoshi ShimizuAn underclassman of Nakano and the gang, in his first year. Honest to a fault, with his inner and outer actions matching up most of the time. Attends soccer club with Toda as a goalie.
- Better as Friends: He eventually settles for being friends with Nakano at the end of his subplot with her. He's still in love with her, but it's not his main priority anymore.
- Brutal Honesty: Given the lack of filter, he tends to say what's on his mind a lot and unintentionally weird people out. He means no harm by it though, and they know as well.
- Cleaning Up Romantic Loose Ends: With Eto, a girl in his grade.
- Color-Coded Characters: Purple.
- Demoted to Extra: While he did have some importance when he was first introduced (the strip titles even updated to include his character color among the others), he lost relevance after he realized his feelings for Nakano weren't going anywhere, and only makes occasional appearances afterwards.
- Foil: To Toda. Where Toda can't physically express himself in real life and comes of as cold, Shimizu has no filter between his brain and his mouth and comes off as pushy.
- Gentle Giant: Shimizu, goalie of the soccer team, is large enough to bump into most doors, and is a landmark for people in a crowd. But he's a downright kind and cheerful fellow who doesn't hesitate to help.
- Romantic Runner-Up: Although he is initially more straightforward about his affection for Nakano and is the only other guy in the series to harbor feelings for her, they ultimately do not feel the same way about each other, especialy given Nakano likes Toda.
- Sempai/Kohai: Has this dynamic with Toda, his senior on the school soccer team.
- Third Wheel: While he's not often around Nakano and Toda, he still sometimes imposes himself when it comes to their relationship and comes to think of himself like this near the end of the story.
- Unrequited Love: With Nakano.