open/close all folders
Motu and Patlu
As a Whole
- Ambiguously Gay: They have this together.
- Brains and Brawn: Motu is Dumb Muscle that literally cannot think on an empty stomach, leaving the smarter Patlu to brainstorm most of the ideas for him.
- Dub Name Change: In the Sinhalese dub, Motu is renamed Sutin and Patlu is renamed Matin.
- Fat and Skinny: Motu is fat and Patlu is skinny.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: For starters, they are very rarely ever seen apart and live in the same house together.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Motu is more hot-tempered (red) while Patlu is considerably calmer (blue).
- Sibling Team: In the original comics, Motu and Patlu are brothers who work as a team to take care of whatever problems come their way. The Nickelodeon India TV show makes them friends rather than siblings.
- Those Two Guys: Motu and Patlu are rarely seen apart.
- Unrelated in the Adaptation: Motu and Patlu are brothers in the original comics, which is changed to friends in the TV show.
- Big Eater: He loves to eat food, but in particular he'll do just about anything to eat samosas.
- Catchphrase: He often reminds Patlu that "My brain doesn't function on an empty stomach! You think of something!" when he is asked to come up with an idea.
- Chaste Toons: He does not have any children of his own, but he does have a nephew named Chotu.
- Dumb Muscle: What he lacks in intelligence, he makes up for in strength, especially if he eats a samosa. Even Boxer, who is usually the strongest person in Furfuri Nagar, is unable to withstand Motu's muscle power if he eats a samosa.
- Fat Idiot: Motu's got quite a bulky physique and he tends to do some rather... not smart stuff as well as misunderstand things easily.
- Power-Up Food: Samosas are one for him, as there are quite a few instances where he becomes considerably stronger if he eats them.
- Primary-Color Champion: Motu is one of the main characters of the series and has all three primary colors in his signature outfit (red shirt, dark blue vest, yellow pants).
- Trademark Favorite Food: Motu loves to eat samosas.
Friends of Motu and Patlu
- Gadgeteer Genius: He makes lots of inventions for Motu and Patlu to use.
- Red/Green Contrast: Dr. Jhatka wears a green shirt and is a Gadgeteer Genius, contrasting with Motu who wears a red shirt and is ditzy.
- Science Hero: Dr. Jhatka uses his scientific knowledge to make many different inventions for Motu and Patlu to use.
- Non-Indicative Name: "Chaiwala" typically refers to a person who serves teas. This Chaiwala serves samosas instead.
- Red Boxing Gloves: Boxer has such an affection for boxing that he wears red-colored boxing gloves literally all the time, even if he's doing basically anything besides boxing, such as driving his car.
John the Don and his team
As a Whole
John the Don
- Beard of Evil: John is the main villain of the series and has a goatee.
- Big Bad: He is the villain who constantly tries (and fails) to harm Motu and Patlu.
- Catchphrase: "Jon banega Don" ("Jon will become the Don").
- Gold Tooth: John has a few golden teeth in his mouth.
- Rhymes on a Dime: John constantly rhymes his dialogue, which often causes Number 1 to congratulate him for making such wonderful "poems". This is averted in the English dub, though Number 1 still praises him for "speaking like a poet".
- You Are Number 6: He is never given an actual name and is only ever known as Number 1.
- You Are Number 6: Same deal as Number 1; he is never given a name beyond Number 2.