open/close all folders
Monster Boy himself
Jin and his many forms.
- Baleful Polymorph: Gets turned into a pig soon after his adventure starts.
- Cursed with Awesome: Aside from some initial dissatisfaction with the pig form, Jin is more concerned with saving his uncle than turning back into a human.
- Expy: Each form in an expy of a form from Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap, and they're even obtained in the same order:
- Human is of course one of "Hu-Man": the protagonist's original form, playable at the beginning of the game, then lost.
- Pig is one of Lizard-Man: this is the shape with which the protagonist is originally cursed, unable to equip any gear (although in this game, the Snake also has this trait) , and the only one that is not used in the final level outside of getting an optional chest.
- Snake is one of Mouse-Man: smaller than the rest and able to move freely on special walls.
- Frog is one of Piranha-Man: the water-based form, the most capable swimmer, and its walking (or rather, hopping) animation is even reminiscent of Piranha-Man's walking sprite.
- Lion is one of Lion-Man: in addition to retaining the animal, this form also has techniques based on directional attacks, although this Lion's attacks are much more dynamic.
- Dragon is one of Hawk-Man: the flying form.
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me: ...and reflect the enemy's projectiles back at them, depending on which type of shield is equipped.
- Sword Plant: Most of the forms that can use weapons have this move.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Unlike Bocke, Jin quickly learns to shapeshift at will, though his human form remains impossible to change into until the very end of the game.
- Ground Pound: One of his moves showcased in the trailer (it replaces the Sword Plant, since the Pig cannot handle weapons) .
- Legacy Character: Obviously is not the same Pig-man from The Dragon's Trap.
- Mythology Gag: Once the game became Monster Boy, this form gained an eyepatch and a striped shirt, just like pig men from The Dragon's Trap. Pig also used to smoke during idle animations early in the game's development, but that was removed.
- Pig Man: It is an anthropomorphic pig.
- The Nose Knows: Pig's most useful feature is its snout that can uncover secrets. Some of the hidden doors require to be sniffed out by the Pig before they can be opened.
- Took a Level in Badass: In Flying Hamster 2, it was described more or less as The Load. In the final game, even though it can't equip any gear, it is capable of using magic and its acute sense of smell is used to discover secrets, some of which are mandatory to sniff out as the Pig before they can be exploited.