- I rather like my ability to start pointless arguments, thank you very much!
The Red Oni of the duo, Quill is a brash and somewhat crazy earth pony author with mechanical wings, turning him into a 'semi-pegasus' of sorts. His mother was murdered during the Days of Discord, leading to him killing the murderer and running away from home. This is how he eventually met Filter.
Quill tends to act as the leader of the duo and stands out a lot more; he has almost completely white eyes, bloodstained Discord-like twisted horns, and large mechanical wings. His special talent is writing, and his cutie mark is a quill dipped in blood. He is Mobius's ponysona.
- The Ace: Most of the time.
- Artificial Limbs: He has mechanical wings that he developed himself. A variation of the usual useage of the trope, as the wings aren't replacements.
- Axe-Crazy: Shows hints of this.
- Berserk Button: A few; saying he technically isn't a pegasus, insulting his strange appearance, and bringing up his past murder are the ones we know of so far.
- Blood Knight: Downplayed, but still there.
- Blood-Splattered Innocents: His Discord-like horns are permanently bloodstained.
- Bookworm: Surprsingly, yes; he did craft his own mechanical wings based on what he learned from the library, after all.
- Break the Cutie / Corrupt the Cutie
- Brilliant, but Lazy
- Captain Obvious: "Hey. We need to sign this." Said to Filter, right after he himself already signed.
- Character Alignment: Chaotic Good, or even Chaotic Neutral.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Deadpan Snarker
- From Nobody to Nightmare: A non-evil example, thanks to the Break the Cutie or Corrupt the Cutie mentioned above.
- Good Is Not Nice
- Jerkass: Sometimes.
- Large Ham
- The Leader: Arguably, at least between himself, Filter, and Ratchet.
- Monochromatic Eyes
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red to Filter's blue.
- Also the red to Ratchet's blue.
- The Rival: To Rainbow Dash.
- Shipper on Deck: Happily ships Filter and Pinkie. Currently debatable whether he actually believes in it, or is just using it as another way to troll Filter.
- Sophisticated as Hell
- I feel like Im about to throw up, faint, do something stupid, or get killed...or all of the above.
The Blue Oni of the duo, Filter is a shy yet snarky musical unicorn. His father disappeared before he was born, only to return almost two decades later to murder Filter's mother and himself, right in front of both Quill and Filter.
Filter is much more normal-looking than Quill, having no real outstanding physical features. He is completely blind, however, and has to wear enchanted glasses to see. His special talents are music and protecting others, and his cutie mark is a shield on top of a microphone. He is RLYoshi's ponysona.
- Beware the Nice Ones: As shy as he is, if he sees somepony putting themselves down, he'll practically shove a Rousing Speech down their throat.
- And don't doubt his fighting skills either; he manages to knock out a manticore using two apples and a shield spell.
- Blind Without 'Em: Literally, as he lost his sight during the Days of Discord and the glasses are enchanted to restore his vision.
- Break the Cutie
- Butt-Monkey: His rough past aside, Quill doesn't always treat him with a lot of respect.
- Character Alignment: Neutral Good, possibly Chaotic Good.
- Character Development: In his backstory, he's rather snarky, even around ponies he just met. However, a sequence of bad events leads to him becoming much more shy.
- Chaste Hero: He doesn't seem to realize - or believe, at least - that Pinkie Pie has a crush on him, like Quill insists.
- Cowardly Lion
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Deadpan Snarker
- The Dragalong: When Quill accepts a job from the mayor as a mercenary, he pulls Filter along with him, much to Filter's annoyance.
- Embarrassing Nickname: "Poppy", given to him by Pinkie Pie.
- He Cleans Up Nicely: If Rarity's reaction is any indication, he definitely looks good in a suit.
- Mood-Swinger: Goes from cheerfully joking with Quill to being as quiet as possible and avoiding eye contact while in the Town Hall.
- Nervous Wreck
- Only Sane Man: He was more of a Straight Man when it was just him and Quill, but now that Ratchet has joined the story, he fits this role much better.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Quill's red.
- Also blue to Ratchet's red.
- Shrinking Violet
- Tranquil Fury: In contrast to Quill, who gets very vocal when he's mad, Filter just gets quiet and tells whoever's annoying him to stop.
A talking, pony-sized, female manticore that Quill and Filter meet in the Everfree Forest; while they were originally sent there to kill her, they decided against it, and took her into their home.
- Big Eater
- Defeat Means Friendship: Kind of. She befriended Quill and Filter not because they knocked her out, but because they took the time to help her after knocking her out.
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- HeelFace Turn: Though she was never really evil to begin with.
- Noodle Incident: When asked how she can talk, she just says it's a long story.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red to Filter's blue. Blue to Quill's red.
- Talking Animal