These are tropes generally associated with The Virus in the Video Game Metaspace. Subjective tropes and Audience Reactions go on the work's YMMV subpage. For the main character index, click here.
Known as Dr. Geno to humans, while his Code Name
is "Cyde". An independant researcher, he experiments on biological lifeforms as well as The Virus
. From the Virus, Geno also created the BlackTech units
by infusing a benign strain of Virus into armour as well as Meta-systems. Both the Enforcers and Defiance seek to utilize his technology for their latest stealth troops.
- Casting a Shadow: Being part Virus, he can use their shadow and corruption-based powers.
- Deal with the Devil: Some Metas ask him to infuse them with the Virus, usually to get stronger. Such as Blitz after he gets rendered useless in his fight against I.C.. They get stronger after that, all right.
- Evilutionary Biologist: Deals with unnatural evolution, unnatural human creation, gene splicing, and such. Deems that he can make the ultimate evolutionary creature.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul
- Half-Human Hybrid: Part human, part Virus.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: To Pte. Steel, who was created by him.
- Mad Scientist: But of course.
- The Man Behind the Man: Was partially responsible for Blitz' upgrade programs, which resulted in him going Ax Crazier.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Definitely NOT safe to be around someone whose name sounds like "Genocide".
- Necromancy: You see all those characters (and Metas) who died in the course of the game? He "resurrects" them as part virus things. Some of them even have their soul screaming to be put to rest!
- No Transhumanism Allowed: He knows about transhumanism and does it to humans (by infusing them with Metas), and doesn't give a damn about the ethical consequences.
- Parental Abandonment: "Abandons" his son to the Enforcers.
- The Virus: Part Virus, and is able to convert his victims into more Virus.
- Weakened by the Light: He adapts to become resistant to it later, though.
- Weapon of Choice: Combat Tentacles. These things are also the same instruments he uses to roboticise humans and/or infect them with The Virus. Otherwise, he's a Flunky Boss, summoning his biological monstrosities and The Virus to attack his enemies.
- Zerg Rush: His "Fallen Swarm" sends a massive horde of viruses to overwhelm the opponent.
An experiment created by Geno Cyde in an attempt to create a being that could not be harmed. It turned out to be quite a success- this thing's sadomasochism is so great that it regenerates when its body is damaged.
Dark Emotions (Emotion-D, Emotion-E, Emotion-F, names not confirmed)
A trio of Virus units that serve Geno Cyde. Each of them has the ability to instil negative emotions into the minds of opponents around them.
- Casting a Shadow
- The Corruptor: Emotion-E, who instils and amplifies its victims' evil desires.
- The Dark Side: Emotion-E instils and amplifies its foes' evil desires in an attempt to force them over.
- Emotion Bomb / Emotion Control: Their mere presence makes their victim experience the feeling they represent. F causes its victim to experience their fears, D makes them experience their most saddening or traumatizing moment, while E overwhelms its enemies with evil desires and makes them turn to The Dark Side.
- The Faceless: All three of them.
- Kick Them When They Are Down: Emotion-D "puts its victims out of their misery" once they're helpless and overwhelmed with despair. By absorbing their soul, no less.
- Knight of Cerebus: Three of the more sinister and dark villains of the game. It doesn't help that they get this as their theme...
- Meaningful Name: Emotion-D(espair), Emotion-E(vil) and Emotion-F(ear). They instil the feeling they represent in their opponents.
- Mind Rape
- Terrible Trio
- Villainous Demotivator: Literal example with Emotion-D, who makes its opponent feel terrible despair.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Emotion-F is weak to (non-evil) laughter, D is weak to happy thoughts, E is weak to love.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Emotion-F instils this in its enemies.
- Your Soul Is Mine: Emotion-F and Emotion-D absorb their victims' souls once their victim is overwhelmed with despair or fear.