open/close all folders
As a Whole
- True Companions: The five of them, through all of the sniping and annoyances, are still there for each others.
- Played by: Martin Lawrence
- Get Out!: He has no qualms against throwing anyone out of his house that disrespect him, legitimately or not (but usually not).
- Happily Married: To Gina, the only other person aside from himself and his mother that he always has respect for.
- Height Angst: Intentionally invoked by Pam, who always teases him over it.
- Heterosexual Life-Partner: With Tommy and Cole, his childhood friends.
- Jerkass: At his worst.
- Large Ham: Subtlety is not his (or by greater extension, Lawrence's) style.
- The Scrooge: He's a pretty stingy guy, even around Christmas, substituting a box of tissues as a gift for Tommy instead of the initial gift of silk handkerchiefs.
- My Beloved Smother: His mother, Edna, is considered insufferable to everyone except him, but especially towards Gina.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: With Pam; the two are always sniping away at one another and hassling the other about their looks and obnoxious attitudes.
- Played by: Tisha Campbell-Martin
- Forehead of Doom: A Running Gag of the show is for someone to make a joke about her large forehead.
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: Or in her case, dolls. Her initial apartment had a large collection of them.
- Happily Married: To Martin.
- Heterosexual Life-Partner: With Pam.
- Morality Pet: To Martin; she manages to rail him in his less sane moments.
- Ms. Fanservice: She's very beautiful and attracts the attention of many male characters throughout the show.
- Uptown Girl: Implied. She usually dresses in higher-end clothing and is seen as a classy woman. Having a father who's a doctor possibly has something to do with that.
Thomas "Tommy" Strawn
- Played by: Thomas Mikal Ford
- Bait-and-Switch: One episode has him dating a woman named Aquanetta. To the gang's surprise, she was White.
- Dad the Veteran: His father is a former Major in the Army.
- Heterosexual Life-Partner: With Martin and Cole.
- One Head Taller: At 6'4", he's this from everyone else.
- Nice, Mean, and In-Between: He is the nice to Martin's mean and Cole's in between.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: He's the former to Martin's latter.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Pam, until they briefly dated.
Pamela "Pam" James
- Played by: Tichina Arnold
- Heterosexual Life-Partner: With Gina.
- Hidden Depths: She is quite adept at singing, being able to show off this talent at times to the point of impressing Martin's mother (who interestingly enough likes her better than Gina).
- Hollywood Dateless: The earlier seasons had a joke about being this with Martin being the one most likely to lampshade this.
- Kissing Cousins: Thankfully averted; her cousin, the Reverend Leon Lonnie Love, is implied to be attracted to her, but she manages to sidestep his advances.
- Light Feminine Dark Feminine: The personalities of Gina and herself respectively.
- Played by: Carl Anthony Payne II
- The Alleged Car: His beloved Pacer.
- Brutal Honesty: He's not known for his tactful manner.
- Heterosexual Life-Partner: With Martin and Tommy.
- Mama's Boy: He loves his mother dearly, to the point of still living with her into his late twenties.
- The Thing That Would Not Leave: After getting momentarily kicked out of his mother's home, he ends up as a guest at Martin and Gina's, quickly wearing out his welcome.
- Too Dumb to Live: Cole is an overall Nice Guy, but he certainly isn't bright. It occasionally crosses over into being lethally stupid as he nearly kills a comatose "Tommy" by messing with "his" heart monitor thinking it was a radio.