This is the list of playable character classes and notable NPCs from MapleStory. This article contains tropes related to the storyline, skills and, in the case of characters with unique backstories, their personality as per Word of God, so beware of unmarked spoilers and proceed with caution, especially around the Heroes section.
For those adding to character classes with a backstory, please keep using the same gender identification that is used in the majority of their promotional/NPC appearances. I.E. their canon gender. This means:
- Male for the Cannoneer, Hayato, Zen, Evan, Phantom, Luminous, Shade, Mihile, Xenon, the Demonnote , Kaiser, Kinesis, Illium, and Ark.
- Female for Mercedes, Aran, Jett, Kanna, Beast Tamer, Angelic Buster, Cadena, and Pathfinder.
While we are aware that both genders are selectable for almost all classes, sticking to the canon gender (for the characters that have one) across this entire article will enhance its readability.
Tropes That Apply To All Playable Classes and Characters
- An Adventurer Is You: Every class falls under one of the five basic class outlines (Warrior, Magician, Thief, Bowman, and Pirate), each with their specific strengths and weaknesses (though some of the special characters avert some weaknesses and negate some strengths because of their powers).
- Badass Adorable: Given the cutesy anime-style graphics, almost every character is this even while decked out in their strongest gear.
- Butt-Monkey: In the Gold Beach quest line, they are mistaken for an employee and are tasked with all kinds of grunt work without a chance to explain themselves. So much for a vacation.
- The Chosen One/The Chosen Many: All of them are special in some way or form. For example, the Explorers are people pulled from Earth to serve as saviours while the Six Heroes are legendary for their prowess.
- Cutscene Incompetence/Cutscene Power to the Max: Several characters have this from time to time.
- Even the Guys Want Him/Even the Girls Want Her: Multiple characters can become attracted to the player regardless of gender.
- Hero of Another Story: The special characters frequently reference each other in their storylines (most prominently the Hero classes) or other quest lines.
- Only Sane Man: They serve as this in the Mushroom Castle quest line.
- Inverted in FriendStory, where they have trouble fitting in at Shinsoo International School and gain a reputation for being weird.
- The Hero: All of them are pretty heroic, with only the Demon, Phantom, Alpha, and Cadena treading into Anti-Hero territory at times.
- Two Girls to a Team: Multiple.
- Heroes: Mercedes, Aran, Shade, Phantom, Luminous, and Evan.
- Knights of Cygnus: Oz, Irena, Mihile, Eckhart, and Hawkeye.
- Black Mage Commanders: Hilla, Lucid, Magnus, Arkarium, Von Leon, Guwarr, and Will.
- Black Wings: Orchid, Eleanor, Francis, Baroq, Gelimer, and Lotus.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Almost all of them screw up at one point in their storylines, leading to a series of quests to fix their mistake.
- Vague Age: Most of the generic content is written with some form of Kid Hero in mind, although many of the named classes are explicitly older than that.
MapleStory Characters pages
- Adventurers, Cygnus Knights, Resistance and Region Exclusives
- Cygnus Knights/Knights of Cygnus note
- Resistance note
- Region Exclusives note
- Heroes, Nova, Child of God, FriendStory and Flora
- Heroes note
- Nova note
- Child of God (Zero)
- Friend Story (Kinesis)
- Flora/Lef note
- Ereve note
- Other jobs instructors note
- Companions/Mentors note
- Antagonists and Bosses
- Black Mage and his Commanders
- Black Wings
- Other Enemies
Well what are you waiting for? Log in now and start playing!