The cast of Mall of Despair and its sequel, R Incorperated.
SHSL Paparazza BlackmailerAi Aizawa is one of the few well-known-by-name paparazzi in the world, and the crown jewel of the weekly magazine she works for, Yansin Beki. Though magazines like that are often filled with low-level, fabricated scandals, Ai is notorious for making certain that the facts connected to her pictures are as valid as possible. Shes brought a great deal of revenue to her magazine and a great deal of shame to several celebrities. She seems to have a nose for when celebs are making trouble, and shes incredibly efficient; she almost never comes away from a job empty-handed. She is almost invisible in the dead of night, due to her dark hair and dress, but lets just hope she doesnt make herself known with a flash at your window. Oh, will there be a price to pay for that Killed Moderu in Chapter 2 via knife trap.
- All for Nothing: Killed Moderu in an effort to save Darius. He's the victim of the very next chapter.
- Alliterative Name: Ai Aizawa
- Cruel and Unusual Death: At the end of her execution, Ai is inside a giant flash cube. It goes off, essentially vaporizing her.
- Rapunzel Hair
SHSL ComposerHe was introduced to music as a young boy, by volunteers during one of his many hospitalizations. He composed for years, but learned to write sheet music after being enrolled at a musical school. Hes now known for the soundtrack of popular Fantasy RPG series Diamond Skies, but started composing for small indie games. The victim of Chapter 4, Akito dies from cyanide poisoning.
SHSL CreativityAraiguma grew up with her brother, as her father and mother left them both at a young age. Was very interested in arts and creativity because her brother would read books aloud to her, and she always wanted to create the image somehow. Socially awkward, it was hard for her to make friends, but she made a few, and it turned out alright until she got into a special school by the name of Kibougamine. Survives to endgame.
Darius Martin William Fitzgerald
SHSL Damage Controller Cover Up ArtistSon of the internationally renowned and currently missing, presumed dead lawyer Emyr Fitzgerald, Darius has lived a pretty comfortable life. Using his legal knowledge and immense multitasking skills to co-ordinate an international team, he has been able to obscure some of the greatest celebrity scandals ever. But you wouldnt know about that, now would you? One of the two victims of Chapter 3, is drowned in a fountain.
SHSL Tattoo ArtistHari is executed at the start of Chapter 1 for attempting to step on Monobear, thereby violating the rule against harming the 'Host.'
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Burned alive in a glass tube. Her ashes are then mixed with alcohol to make tattoo ink, which is then used to tattoo Monobear's back.
Jade Lane Megan Lane
SHSL BusinesswomanDespite her age, this young lady is all about business. Having spent much of her life in office-like environments, she is by nature a very serious, yet polite person who knows how to get work done efficiently. Murders Akito in Chapter 4 via cyanide.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Fried to ashes by lightning while attached to a pole, after being soaked with water.
- Jerkass: Though she may appear formal at first, Jade generally acts coldly and rudely towards just about everyone she meets.
- Peek a Bangs: Over her right eye.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Even if they are just contacts...
- Split Personality: Jade is Megan's alter.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: She gives one of these out almost every chapter, usually to the culprit before they're about to get executed. Megan even gives one to Hiroki in the third trial.
SHSL Faberge Egg JewelerMurders Xun in the first chapter.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Impaled in an iron maiden-like Faberge egg.
- Peek a Bangs: Over her left eye.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Played straight when she ends up being the very first culprit.
SHSL Model CitizenIs killed in the second chapter by way of sharp force trauma.
- No Indoor Voice: She's shouting 90% of the time. It's only made worse when she gets a hold of a megaphone.
- Odango Hair
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
SHSL PoetIs the second of two victims in Chapter 3, dies from blood loss.
- Shrinking Violet: Referred to as such by Darius after the first motive is revealed.
SHSL LifeguardSuzuka Sawamura is currently the head Deck Supervisor of Hopes Peak Academy Pool. She attained her title of SHSL Lifeguard after becoming the youngest lifeguard ever to place first in all categories in the Royal Life Saving Society Commonwealth Lifesaving Championships. In addition to being certified in all forms of life guarding, Suzuka also has all her Instructors certifications, and occasionally teaches NLS. Prior to her enrollment in Hopes Peak Academy,Suzuka has worked with Aoi Asahina and Nidai Nekomaru-SHSL Swimmer and Coach respectively-coaching a prestigious middle school competitive swim team that has won Nationals for three years straight. In Chapter 3, she is found along with Shizuka and Darius with a knife lodged in her side. She originally is thought dead, but is still actually alive and turns out to be the murderer that chapter.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Chopped up by Monobear to be prepared as Dragon Roll Sushi.
Takahiro Hamasaki Hiroki Tachibana
SHSL KeyboardistTakahiro Hamasaki is a rather famous and well-known, even to an international level, keyboardist for the band Deep with Minoru Yamura as the singer, Rokuro Onishi the guitarist and Jurobei Komine the drummer. Rumour has it that he is blind throughout Japan, and the cane he carries confirms that for people who meet him. No one knows much about his background due to his apathetic nature when being interviewed, but its quite clear hes not very talkative and open about himself. Often hell keep interviews short and hurry off. He has a lot of fans, with an extensive fanbase for the band Deep. He clearly hates to be treated as a separate person from the band and wont share his reasons for distaste. Despite his fame, no one knows much about Hamasaki or has really talked to him, except the other band members. Survives to endgame.
- An Arm and a Leg: A Type Three; Monobear deliberately cuts off his left leg when he follows Suzuka to her execution.
SHSL ProsecutorBorn from a prestigious family of law enforcers, Takahiro Kagome was destined to be a prosecutor. He has been enrolled in the most elite schools since he was in elementary so it was no surprise that he would have been accepted into Hopes Peak. While hes a prosecutor, hes also a lawyer. He was most recognized by the case of a mass murderer who had slaughtered an entire school (Known as the Kiroshima School Massacre) and was the one who got him put away. Survives to endgame
- Adoptive Peer Parent: Discovered by Travis via a picture while he was looking around Kagome's room.
- Abusive Parents: During his Chapter 4 motive, he is very adamant on entering his box. He's still forced into it anyways, and nearly suffers from a mental breakdown when he hears voices threatening to hit him and other abusive statements. He makes vague hints that the voices are someone he's familiar with and he rarely ever talks about his parents, it could be assumed his parents had abused him in the past.
- Ambiguously Gay: Cares a whole lot about Travis, to the point where he actually tries to concentrate on his voice during Chapter 4 while he's trying to recover from a mental breakdown.
- Animal Motifs: Is compared to as a "shark", especially by his creator. This could be seen as a pun about his talent.
- Break the Cutie: His motive in Chapter 3 was watching his best friend being tortured physically and mentally. He does not take it well.
- Character Development: Is more kinder and mellowed out towards endgame.
- Cloudcuckoolander's Minder: Is this to his childhood friend, Tsukasa. Also this to Travis to a degree.
- Despair Event Horizon: Has this multiple times throughout the story. One of his more infamous breakdowns is during Chapter 3 and Chapter 4.
- Do Not Call Me "Paul": Hates being called by his first name, as he feels like people are being too familiar with him upon being called, "Takahiro".
- Expy: Prosecutor? Red jacket? Always looks like he's glaring at people? Hello not Edgeworth.
- Funnily enough, the similarities were not intentional at first. That is, until the creator learned about Ace Attorney series.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Threw a tantrum at Monobear when the Mutual Killing Game was announced, yelled at Ai for throwing her shoe (which wasn't even that big) at him, and is constantly at throats with Darius and Yukika. He get's better at controlling it later but Jesus Christ his behaviour in the first and second chapter...
- Heroic BSoD: Has one during the Chapter 3 and Chapter 4 motive.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: He tried to get everyone not to listen to Monobear upon the Mutual Killing Game being announced (in his own way) and is horrified and angry when the first body discovery shows up. He's also much more co-operative with people when it comes to investigating and tries to help everyone solve each murder. Has a habit of saying "Don't mention it" whenever he does something kind.
- I Know Your True Name: Was one of the first people to know that Hamasaki's real name is actually Hiroki Tachibana. Says their real name during the Chapter 3 trial.
- Last-Name Basis: Refers to everyone by their last name, except for people he's close with.
- Morality Pet: Tsukasa Kishimoto is Kagome's biggest reason why he hasn't gone off the deep end and murdered someone. Travis and Shizuka are also considered this to Kagome.
- No Social Skills: The reason he distances himself is because he has no idea on how to talk to people his own age group.
- Official Couple: With Travis/Rikai post-game.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Is constantly referred to as "Kagome" to the point that even the creator forgets his real name is "Takahiro". Even after it's revealed that Takahiro Hamasaki's real name is Hiroki Tachibana, he's still referred to as "Kagome".
- Justified since Kagome doesn't even like being called by his first name anyways.
- Perpetual Frowner: Is always constantly frowning, although, he does end up smiling towards the end.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Played around with a lot.
- Inverted with Tsukasa who has a more cheerful and outgoing disposition but has an overall blue theme while Kagome wears red but is more quiet and reserved when around her.
- Invoked with Travis since their contrasting, but similar views on finding the truth in trials have the two mutually join forces.
- Played Straight with Shizuka, whose more withdrawn and quiet while Kagome does most of the talking.
- Retcon: The creator has changed several things about Kagome, such as his adoptive mother's name, and his sexuality.
- The Rival: Invokes this with Travis.
- Ship Tease: With Travis. Oh boy...
- Also with Shizuka, sort of. Travis thought they were cute together at one point.
- ¡Three Amigos!: Him, Travis, and Shizuka. That is, until Shizuka gets murdered.
- Tsundere: His reaction to when Travis thanked him for sticking up for him during the first trial says a lot.
SHSL Romance Novel EditorSurvives to endgame.
- Shrinking Violet: Called this (word-for-word) by Darius in the first chapter, along with Shizuka.
Travis Torabisu Rikai Dell
SHSL Empathetic PsychicA kind, soft-spoken good ol boy from Texas, Travis loves Coffee, sweaters, and justice. His day job consists of him being the local neighborhood detective to solve various things, while going to his mock trial club, all while taking care of his younger twin brother, Lucas. He may or may not have shown up in the newspaper from time to time, but he doesnt let that small fame get in his head. A very jubilant young man, Travis is your go to guy when you just want to be with someone that can perk you up with the finer things in life. Survives to endgame.
SHSL PranksterDies in Chapter 1 via blunt force trauma
SHSL MythologistHave you ever heard of Mictlantecuhti? How about Melione? Yukika certainly has, and also of many more. Hailing from Osaka, she was raised in a museum and thus, exposed to mythology from a very young age. Going by the handle of Kh1one online, shes published several noteworthy papers dealing with the study of mythology, and shes even responsible for the discovery and popularization of a few mythological deities. Always willing to ramble on about the fine points of the various underworlds or retell one creation myth or another, she seems to have a myth prepared for every occasion. Dies in the 5th chapter, and... see the folder below for what happens.
- Yellow Eyes of Sneakiness: Subverted, as she hasn't killed anyone yet.
The Mastermind Yukika Kai
SHSL GhostwriterGetting her starts in her parents museum, Yukika took a shine to the various relics of the past. Having nothing else to do, she would also take to writing, and her notepad and typewriter became her constant companions as she grew older. Eventually, she took a stab at writing a book, which took a year and a half of constant work to finish. Personal circumstances caused her to publish the book under a pseudonym, Hikari Hasimoto, and thats the name she published her subsequent book under. At this point, Hopes Peak took notice of her and sent her an invitation, but she had other plans in mind
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Made to go through several myth-related scenarios related to the previous culprits' executions before landing on a giant book retelling the story of the Mall of Despair which closes, crushing her.
- Walking Spoiler
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Wanted to undertake a world-wide reformation after a chain of events led to her taking over the Angel's Wing Mall. The method? Locking sixteen students up and forcing them to kill each other.
- Yellow Eyes of Sneakiness: While she never directly kills anyone over the course of the game, she did off Natoyo and orchestrate the game in the first place, which is sneaky enough to qualify for this trope.
Inquisitores LumensThe group of followers that were ammassed by Yukika during her time before the game began, allowing her to bring the game to its fruition
SHSL RoboticistThe only child of the wealthy Ueyama family, Akemi was someone who stood out easily. She was a glitch, compared to all of the average bumpkins in her quiet hometown, which could be a reason that the redhead made a name for herself so quickly. There was no secrecy when it come to her love for robotics and electronics. However, some other key facts about her life are heavily guarded by the Roboticist herself, but it is easy to find controversy regarding her and her modifications. People arguing and/or writing about morals, laws of nature and ethics love to bring this girls name up whenever they have the chance to. Who can blame them? The fact that she - in her own words - upgraded herself is a subject that made global news. Killed Melosia in Chapter 1 after the puppeteer attacked her first.
SHSL HurlerConor Breagadoir seemed to burst out of nowhere onto the hurling scene! His schooling was pretty normal for most of his life. From age eight onward, he went to a good, highly-rated Irish school, which taught him maths, languages, and, perhaps most importantly, hurling. There was no formal hurling class, but he learned it through recess periods, and he fell head over heels in love with the sport. In middle school, he joined the schools hurling team, and was eventually noticed by the manager of the professional Kilkenny hurling team. He was applauded for his advanced skill so much so that he was asked to join the Kilkenny team. Naturally, Conor accepted, since it meant money for his family, fame for his name, and hurling for his time, and he has been playing professionally ever since. Hopes Peak Academy noticed him when Kilkenny won the 2014 All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship, with Conor playing as the teams full forward. For more information on this guy... see the Spoilers folder.
- Exotic Eye Designs: His irises have a four-pointed star surrounding the pupil. As it turns out, he wears contact lenses.
- Heroic BSoD: During Chapter 5, after seeing Ryuu's corpse. He then starts laughing after seeing Manami's body.
SHSL Info BrokerHaneul-san was murdered in chapter 4 from a gunshot wound to the head. (He actually committed suicide.)
SHSL GuruOne of the victims of Chapter 3, Katsuo is killed by sharp force trauma combined with exsanguination.
Reserve Course StudentKilled Ryuu and Sumi after seeing the former's knife and panicking in Chapter 5.
SHSL Forensic ScientistUnder the wing of Mamoru Kurosawa, a famous forensic scientist, Keita was often found assisting in cases where his natural talent in forensics were needed. He first started when he was ten, aiding those in need of his skills and could be seen running back and forth from crime scenes and the forensics lab. When he was fourteen, he had managed to solve a huge murder case that had his hometown in buzz which lead to him being accepted into Hope's Peak. The murderer of Chapter 2, he kills Maya with a fire extinguisher.
SHSL ParalegalSurvives to endgame.
SHSL SkepticSurvives to endgame.
SHSL TypistThe third victim of Chapter 5, Manami is stabbed through the heart with a sword. After some dispute, it's determined that she committed suicide.
(Not a Hope's Peak student)One of the murderers of Chapter 3, Masae kills Mizuiro by stabbing him with an amputation knife.
SHSL BaristaA famous barista known for her aesthetically pleasing and very tasty coffee creations, she well known in the coffee world as one of the best and has traveled all over the globe upon numerous wealthy peoples request for her special coffee. She has an almost perfect satisfaction rate and her cute looks and personality help her status tremendously. She works at her own coffee-shop run by her family and plans to uphold her family tradition of running the coffee-shop once she is older. The victim of Chapter 2, Maya dies from blunt force trauma to the head.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Alarmingly so for such a small girl.
- The Pollyanna She shows shades of this. Sadness is her least favorite emotion, she also seems to recover quickly from anything that brings her down.
SHSL PuppeteerThe victim of Chapter 1, Melosia is suffocated due to neck trauma.
(Former) SHSL Springboard DiverOne of the victims of Chapter 3, Mizuiro is killed via sharp force trauma. The trial also reveals that he killed Katsuo by shoving him through the glass wall.
- The Nicknamer: Partially from not knowing everyone's names. Akemi becomes Red, Conor becomes Brat, Masae becomes Anklebiter, Manami becomes Fairy Floss, and Ryuunosuke becomes Spitfire.
SHSL Astrology ExpertSurvives to endgame.
SHSL AcrobatBetter known as Ryuu due to a serious case of obnoxiously long name, Ryuu is a world-renowned acrobat, famous in the admittedly niche section of society. People who see him perform say that it looks like he's flying through the sky, and he would agree that it feels like it. Appearing out of the blue when he was young, he has done nothing but improve as the years tick by. What sort of future awaits the outspoken acrobat? One of the victims of Chapter 5, Ryuu is stabbed through the stomach.
SHSL StatisticianSurvives to endgame.
SHSL SprinterShe started swimming at an early age to treat her asthma, came to enjoy most sports and eventually specialized on sprinting. By the time she was thirteen she had already won a few regional and national competitions for her school. Her left leg was injured at train wreck when she was fourteen and as result she had to stop running for a year. Many believed her career to be over, but she went on to win golden medals at the 100 and 200 meter sprints at the World School Games in Spain and the Summer Olympic Games of Youth in Brazil and break the 100 meters speed record for female junior runners. Shell be competing for Japan in the 100 and 200 meters races in the upcoming Olympic Games. Another one of the victims of Chapter 5, Sumi is stabbed multiple times.
SHSL MagicianSurvives to endgame.
(Former) SHSL Romance NovelistSurvives to endgame.
(Former) SHSL Caber TosserThe (human) victim of Chapter 6, Yuu is beaten to death with a prosthetic arm.
- Fun with Acronyms: Harmonious Automaton Resembling Intelligence.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: Her very existence spoils the fact that Hari Nettle died in the first game.
- Fun with Acronyms: Nefarious Observer Traumatizing Our Young Outsiders.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: Reveals the mastermind of the first game.
- Slasher Smile
- Spell My Name with an "S": In the first game, there was some dispute over whether her name was Natoyo or Notoyo. The second game confirms it was Notoyo.
(Not a Hope's Peak student)He is executed in the sixth chapter. For an explanation of why, read the next character entry.
- Big Brother Instinct: Towards Masae, Ryuu, and Taj. It doesn't end well for any of them.
- Early-Bird Cameo: His name was briefly mentioned during the first game's mastermind trial.
- Four Is Death: Lapses into this sort of mindset in the fifth chapter. Ryuu is the fourth younger friend/surrogate sibling of his that has died in the past two years, and he knows that by the time the trial is over, at least four people will have died from that one motive. When the event comes up on his relationship page, the letters and punctuation are in four-character groups, and the title of his reaction post is the word "death" four times.
- Older Than They Look: He's 25, but manages to pass as much younger. Nine years younger.
- Shared Family Quirks: He and Ai both squeak when they're startled.
- Trauma Conga Line: First, he's tortured for seemingly no reason, and is forced to watch his sister get executed. Then, two years later, his best friend in the game is murdered by the person in the game he had come to see as a sister. He can't save her from her execution, but he ends up making another friend/sibling figure... who is murdered a chapter later.
- Walking Spoiler: Knowing of his existence gives away the fact that Conor Breagadoir isn't a real person.
The Mastermind, Anguo Lee
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Hoo boy. First, he's beaten up by robots. Next, he's stabbed four times while running down a hallway. He then falls from a great height, is beaten up by a security robot, and is finally dismembered on a conveyor belt.
- Rasputinian Death: Though it's probably less that he was able to withstand all that, and more because most of the execution didn't have enough time to kill him.
- Villainous BSoD: What his breakdown during Chapter 5 actually is.
- Walking Spoiler: As if he wasn't enough of one already.