open/close all folders
Voiced by: Ayumu MuraseThe protagonist whose parents sold his soul to a devil named Sullivan. He now lives as the latter's adopted grandson and attends a demon school while trying to keep hidden that he is human.
- Abusive Parents: Selling your child's soul to the devil has to set some kind of record.
- Accidental Pervert: Ameri walked in on him in drag on multiple occasions. Even though he claimed it's Not What It Looks Like, she had nightmares about it for about a week.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: After Kurori passed out from overexertion, he and his friends temporarily acted as akudols until she woke up. Several demon guys found him very cute and attractive dressed up as a girl.
- Awesome by Analysis: He's shown to be very good in analyzing students and situations. This is most evident in the "Royal Ones" arc.
- Badass on Paper: The accomplishments that got him his ever-growing in-universe reputation as a colossal badass are very real, but you'd never guess it from looking at him.
- Big Eater: Iruma is capable of eating even the most impossibly large amount of food, like it was nothing. No wonder he got a magic ring associated with Gluttony.
- Book Dumb: He has difficulty understanding the questions on his tests. Because of this he actually scores lower than Clara.
- Character Development: For a good part of the early story, he didn't really have much character to him beyond being a nice guy with a horrible childhood, which he actually gets called out on by Ameri. He starts developing a backbone and personal ambitions as time goes on.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: Iruma's uncanny ability to dodge any and all harm coming at him. He gained this after so many close calls with death working the countless jobs his worthless parents dumped onto him.
- The Chessmaster: During his "Evil Phase", he single handedly maneuvers his classmates into using their skills to get the signatures needed to have his class transferred to the King's Classroom.
- Cloudcuckoolander's Minder: He and Asmodeus both serve as this for Clara.
- Clueless Chick Magnet: Ameri completely fell for him, Clara gets confused feelings about him at times, Kurori has taken to occasionally blushing around him, Eiko keeps stalking him to try and talk, and several other girls in the school have considered him cute. However, so far he seems completely oblivious to all of this, with this possibly being due to the fact he had no life outside working for his parents whims before coming to the netherworld, leaving him completely unprepared for noticing, let alone dealing with, romance.
- Coat Cape: Wore his coat like this during his Wicked Phase.
- Covert Pervert: Ameri thinks he is one due to how she keeps accidentally stumbling upon him in a frilly outfit. Given how much of a lady-killer he is during his "evil phase", she might actually be on to something with "normal" Iruma, but in a Right for the Wrong Reasons way
- Expy: He has some very noticeable similarities to Hayate. His anime counterpart is also noted to be quite similar to Izuku "Deku" Midoriya, especially his face and eyes, sans freckles.
- Empowered Badass Normal: Right from the start he already had some decent skills, such as incredible reflexes and high capacity for completing anything people asked of him. Then he acquired his ring, which gave him the power to absorb and use magic, allowing him to be a legitimate badass in his own right.
- Extreme Doormat: Has a hard time saying no. Even with his personality flipped, the most he can do is try to resist a request, but he'll comply if pushed a little further.
- Feather Motif: Instead of his usual Flower Motif, he gets black feathers around him when his personality got changed into an evil persona.
- Fish out of Water: Besides the general danger he's in simply being a human in the demon world, he's also completely ignorant of its history, culture, and customs.
- Flower Motif: He has flowers appearing around him whenever he is happy or being a nice guy.
- Foreshadowing: It is hinted several times that he will become the next Demon King.
- He has had a beast bow to him.
- He received a golden ring on his right hand.
- During his "evil phase", he was a natural leader.
- He causes others around him to want to improve themselves.
- Grew a Spine: His character arc as a whole. He slowly becomes more confident in his ability to take charge in life instead of letting people walk all over him. It's still slow enough that he's the Butt-Monkey, but he's at least going in the right direction.
- Happily Adopted: It's surprising how his adoptive demonic grandfather is better than the blood-related trash that is supposed to be his human parents.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Asmodeus.
- Hidden Depths: Given some implications, the demonic "evil phase" Arikured forcibly induced in him just involved amplifying and bringing to the forefront all of his inner vices, rather than actually making him evil. Going by this, right from the start there's been more to him than a sycophantic nice guy, such as an impeccable ability to notice and understand everybody around him, a slight disdain towards anybody that looks down on others, and a deeply-buried yet capable playboy side.
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood: To the point that he'd make Hayate blush!
- Idiot Hair: Self-explanatory.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Due to his past as an Extreme Doormat, Iruma doesn't have much in the way of companionship. Until he met Azz and Clara, anyway, whom he dubs his "No. 1" and "No. 2" friends.
- I Know Karate: He learned martial arts as a means of defending himself, due getting into dangerous situations thanks to his horrible parents.
- Instant Web Hit: His Attractive Bent-Gender is surprisingly popular among the male students of his school.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: After getting his personality altered by his ring, he becomes very aggressive and assertive. However, in spite of that, he still retains his caring heart, and only uses his new willful mentality to do everything he can to make the lives of his friends and classmates better.
- Mirror Morality Machine: His ring decided to try altering his personality and giving him a evil phase (a period every year that makes that demon more evil than usual).
- Mistaken for Badass: Those who aren't aware of his human nature (i.e. anyone not Sullivan, Opera, and now Ameri) would come to see him as something of a badass who No Sells attacks from powerful demons, and subverts the will of those even more powerful than that, without breaking a sweat. In truth, he's just a very lucky boy with some magical nudges here and there from his newfound "grandfather".
- Muggle: Iruma is the Token Human of the demon world and has no innate magical powers.
- Nice Guy: So nice that he suffers from being an Extreme Doormat because of it. Even with his adoptive "grandfather" being one of the highest ranked and wealthiest demons in the netherworld, who constantly spoils and dotes on him, this does nothing to change his kind and caring personality.
- Even when Arikured puts him through an "evil cycle", Iruma at his absolute worst turns out to still only be a Jerk with a Heart of Gold.
- Nice to the Waiter: He is nice to everyone, including the staff at Babyls from the teachers to the janitors. Thanks to which he was able to get all of the permission slips needed for the transfer to the Kings Classroom.
- Oblivious to Love: Despite his ability to notice things, he doesn't seem to be aware of Ameri having fallen in love with him despite how clearly her personality changes when around him, or the clear crushes Clara and Crocell seem to have developed towards him.
- Parental Abandonment: And the worst possible kind there is. Granted, things went very swell for Iruma, but what kind of parent would gleefully sell the soul of their son to a demon in exchange for money?
- Ring of Power: The Gluttony Ring allows him to absorb magic to make it seem like he can do magic and masquerade as a demon.
- Stranger in a Strange School: He is the only Human in a Demon School. Though also subverted a bit as the school teaches everything a normal school would teach: math, science, biology, etc.
- Super Reflexes: Due to him being in life threatening situations since he could walk, he is extremely good at dodging. It's even been described that his Evade Skill is infinite while his Attack Power is zero.
- Tareme Eyes: Befitting his Nice Guy personality. After Arikured alters his personality, they become Tsurime Eyes instead.
- Unluckily Lucky: Because of his terrible parents, he had to learn how to survive unfortunate situations since he was a toddler!
- Weaksauce Weakness: The three deadly phrases: "Please!", "Help me!", and "I beg you!". Iruma is physically and psychologically compelled to lend a hand whenever somebody speaks any of these words.
- Worthy Opponent: He's seen as this by Sabnock after he saved him from the Leader of Kanakiri Valley.
The avatar of Iruma's ring.
- Cyclops: After gaining a more concrete visual form, he only has a single eye.
- Evil-Detecting Dog: It is revealed that him making Iruma grab Ami by the throat was him warning Iruma that Ami was a Bitch in Sheep's Clothing.
- Make Me Wanna Shout: He has a scream so powerful that it can knock out almost everyone in the school.
- Magic Eater: He eats mana, which Iruma can then use.
- Meaningful Name: The name he goes by translates to "the missing Demon King". What this means for the story, and what possible connection he has to the former student known only as "Derukira", is currently unknown.
- Mirror Morality Machine: Uses his power to change Iruma's personality.
- Rank Up: Iruma and Arikured suspect that he gains more power the higher Iruma's Demon Rank is.
- Suddenly Voiced: Even Arikured was shocked when he realized he was able to talk.
- Troll: Seems to enjoy messing with Iruma, or at least the outcome.
- Iruma: WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?Arikured: Watching the drama from the ring. Super funny.
- Voluntary Shapeshifter: After acquiring a concrete form, he gains a habit of shifting into various appearances based on things he's seen, mostly to troll Iruma even more.
Asmodeus "Azz" Alice
Voiced by: Ryohei KimuraA powerful honor student who possesses powerful fire magic from his family lineage.
- The Ace: There is hardly anything he isn't great at.
- Aloof Big Brother: He apparently used to be a Cool Big Bro, going by his sisters, but ever since he met and was beaten by Iruma, all he ever thinks of or talks about is Iruma, and has stopped giving his sisters the time of day like he used to.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: When acting as a female akudol, several demon guys found him to be quite beautiful.
- Big Brother Worship: He has two younger sisters, Viole and Lily, who think the world of him. They're extremely jealous of how Iruma keeps attracting all of his attention, especially since he keeps saying Iruma is better than him, which miffs them as they can't imagine anybody being better than their big bro.
- Bishōnen: He's a rather pretty boy, such that he has many fangirls.
- Butt-Monkey: Usually caused by Clara.
- Chick Magnet: As the most popular boy in Babyls, as well as one of the most attractive, he naturally has many girls throughout the school that fawn over him.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Played for laughs. He's just as disturbed as Clara when Iruma keeps leaving them to meet with Ameri, if not more. As Clara puts it, he's like "a jealous wife checking on her cheating husband".
- Custom Uniform: Wears a white uniform with an ascot.
- Defeat Means Friendship: When Iruma defeated him, Azu swore to be his retainer, later becoming friends.
- Fan of Underdog: He's absolutely convinced that Iruma is the greatest and most powerful demon ever.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Iruma.
- Hypocritical Humor: While trying to tail Iruma, he tells Clara she stands out too much.Clara: I don't want to hear that from you.(cue a bunch of Azz's fan girls cheering him on)
- In-Series Nickname: Iruma addresses him as "Azz".
- Last-Name Basis: Often goes by his family name instead of his feminine given name.
- Playing with Fire: His family bloodline can create fire. He himself often uses this power to create a Flaming Sword.
- Submissive Badass: He's better at pretty much everything compared to Iruma, but since Iruma beat him in a duel, followed by a few other lucky misunderstandings, he became his loyal follower, then friend.
- Smug Super: Prior to being beaten by Iruma, he had a very high opinion of himself, viewing himself as one of, if not THE best demon in the netherworld, and he has the power to back that up. After being defeated by Iruma, however, it gets played with. While still rather smug at times, it's now directed towards Iruma's behalf, constantly telling everybody that Iruma is the greatest demon to ever exist, even getting angry when anybody makes so much as a minor slight towards him, using his great power for that cause.
- Throwing the Fight: He attempted to do this in the Dodgeball Game in order for Iruma's team to win (as he got stuck in the opposing team). But when he realized how hard Iruma worked to win this game, he couldn't force himself to throw away the match and put Iruma's hard work to waste.
Voiced by: Ayaka AsaiA weird, childish, and energetic girl who is known for her special ability to create copies of any object she has seen.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Clara can get easily distracted.
- Beware the Silly Ones: After befriending Iruma, when her old playmates come asking for stuff, she pulls out and slams a vending machine into the face of one of them, before making a scalding retort, showing that she's perfectly capable of standing up for herself if she feels the need to. This comes up again in the anime when she fights Azz in order to get Iruma back from Ameri, using more and more objects and attacks in her attempts, before finally smashing through the door with a wrecking ball, showing that if there's something she wants badly enough, she's willing to do anything to get it.
- Children Are Innocent: She has an Ero level so low she's describe as being even more innocent than a baby.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She easily gets jealous when she sees Iruma spending time with Ameri.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Her mind wanders around a lot, and with her ability to pull anything from her hyperspace domain, she can create havoc easily.
- Confusion Fu: She's a scatter-brained Cloudcuckoolander with the power of instantaneous item creation. When she gets in a fight, there's literally no way for her enemies (or allies) to know what she'll be whipping out next and how she plans to use it.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: She's a major case of The Ditz, being among the dumbest students in her class and easily ditracted. However, in spite of this she's actually an incredibly capable demon, being rather skilled at using her object re-creation ability in useful ways, along with having both impressive strength and a strong enough will (after befriending Iruma lets her abandon her old Extreme Doormat mentality) to be able to push herself into doing almost anything to get something she wants.
- Cute, but Cacophonic: She's cute, yes, but good Lord is her voice so incredibly loud and shrill.
- Cute Little Fangs: Her mouth is shown to be full of rather sharp teeth, with it being more obvious in detailed close-ups. Rather than making her scary, though, they instead add to her cute and silly appeal.
- Extreme Doormat: She originally suffered this before becoming friends with Iruma because she relied on using her powers to satisfy people's wants if it means they would hang out with her.
- Friendless Background: Prior to meeting Iruma, nobody would bother to give her the time of day unless she gave them something, due to how annoying she can be.
- Genki Girl: She's just full of energy.
- Hime Cut: Her bangs are styled like this, but her personality is anything but.
- Hollywood Tone-Deaf: Her singing has been compared to Arikured's ear piercing scream.
- Hyperspace Arsenal: Partnered up with her object re-creation ability, she is able to pull anything she created (no matter how big) out of her pockets.
- Improvised Weapon: She doesn't exactly draw firm distinctions when deciding what is a weapon and what isn't. She's just as likely to go after you with a vending machine as she is with a chainsaw.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: She becomes very happy when Iruma tells her that she doesn't need to give him things just to have him play with her.
- Kiddie Kid: She's the demon equivalent of a high school student, but she's incredibly childish and innocent.
- Love Epiphany: During the girls-only party she set up after Exam Day, she admits that she likes Iruma but it is made clear that she only sees him as a friend. When Ix mentions that she meant someone she would want to marry, Clara's face turns bright red thinking about her and Iruma having a wedding, and states if it was Iruma she wouldn't mind.
- Massive Numbered Siblings: She has three brothers and two sisters.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: Comes naturally, as she is a demon. However other demons don't tend to smile ear-to-ear as often as she does.
- Nice Shoes: Is always wearing a pair of slippers that look kinda like demonic frogs. Both of them are actually alive.
- The Nicknamer: Has a habit of giving people she knows cutesy nicknames, such as Iruma-chi for Iruma, Azz-Azz for Asmodeus, Eggy-Sensei for Kalego and Scarlet-Chan for Ameri.
- No Indoor Voice: Clara usually has two volume settings: "Loud", and "very loud".
- Perpetual Smiler: Befitting her Genki Girl personality.
- The Power of Creation: Her family bloodline allows her to re-create anything she's seen before and pull it out of her pockets. Three demons pretended to be her friends just to get free stuff out of her.
- Sanity Has Advantages: She has the power to re-create anything she has seen before, with no suggestions there is a limit to this. Her being a Cloudcuckoolander usually limits her to only using this power to making snacks or other items for her amusement.
- Shoulder Teammate: She develops a habit of clinging to Sabnock's back whenever she can. He doesn't like it but she does it so often he now just ignores it.
- Smarter Than You Look: As childish and immature as she is, she's fully aware that others see her as a nuisance and will only play with her because she can give them free snacks and drinks, as well as the fact that eventually even that won't be enough and will avoid her. Also, while she is a legitimate case of The Ditz, she knows her way around her powers well enough that she can get pretty impressively creative with objects she's seen before if she's pushed into thinking harder when it comes to trying to get something she wants.
- Stronger Than They Look: She's a lithe high school girl and a major Cloudcuckoolander, but she can toss around vending machines with ease and casually destroy trees by rolling through them.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Her entire family basically has the same face and Hime Cut.
- What Is This Thing You Call "Love"?: It is implied that she has feelings for Iruma but doesn't realize it, only knowing she doesn't like him spending so much time with Ameri. These feelings get tested further when she hosts a girls-only party and Ix asks her if Iruma is somebody she'd like to marry, which causes her to have an Imagine Spot and turn into a blushing mess, followed up by her admitting that she might be open to getting together with Iruma romantically.
- With Catlike Tread: When Azz and Clara try to quietly find Iruma to figure out why he keeps leaving all the time:Clara: (On top of the school) I-RU-MA-CHI!!!
- What You Are in the Dark: Clara wanted nothing more than to "seduce" Iruma away from Ameri. After failing miserably multiple times, Prof. Raim offered her a Love Potion she said would guarantee that he will fall for her. She just left the room saying she didn't want/need it.
- Won't Take "Yes" for an Answer: When Iruma and her first met, she fully believed the only reason anyone would ever play with her was because she can offer Food as Bribe. So when she offered a lot of stuff for Iruma to keep playing with her and when he stated he "doesn't need it", she took that as him saying she is such a nuisance to him that even bribing him won't work. It took him clarifying that he meant he doesn't need to be bribed and wants to keep playing with her without it.
Voiced by: Takaya KurodaA high ranking demon who adopted Iruma. He is the principal of the demon school Babirus.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: In the very first episode or chapter, he proceeds to gleefully talk about his grandson to the students and faculty on the first day of school while showing off a poster of a picture of him with his grandson.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: He seems like a goof and will spend days talking with colleagues on who has the cutest grandchildren, but when things get serious, he's fully capable of breaking out while being investigated for unauthorized human contact without a second thought.
- Doting Grandparent: The main reason he bought Iruma was so he could be this trope.
- Famed In-Story: He is not only the demon school's principle, but also one of the three candidates for the next demon king.
- I Want Grandkids: Rare male example. Sullivan is extremely distraught as he is old, single, and childless, therefore not having anyone to sire him grandchildren. It's the reason why he decided to adopt Iruma in the first place.
- Papa Wolf: If his adoptive grandson is in danger, he won't hesitate to even break out of jail in order to save him.
- Screw the Rules, I Make Them!: Averted. He might be a Demon King candidate, but when it was leaked to the security force that he may have contacted humans, they treat it as if he broke a serious crime and bring him in for questioning.
- Stronger Than They Look: He appears to be a skinny elderly demon that acts like a goofball and loves to dote on his grandson. However he is easily one of the strongest demons in his world to where the entire Security Force knew they had no chance in stopping him from leaving. He also had enough mana to fill Arikured up without any signs that it affected him where it knocked out both Sabro and Azz with a single touch.
- Super-Deformed: Tends to take on a less detailed egg-shaped appearance when doting on Iruma or acting mischievous.
Voiced by: Mitsuki SaigaThe Sullivan residence servant.
- Ambiguous Gender: It's really hard to be sure if Opera is a guy or a girl...
- Cat Girl: Err...guy...person? Regardless, Opera's design evokes this aesthetic, as they have both cat ear-like "horns" protruding from their hair, and a feline tail.
- Cloudcuckoolander's Minder: One of their jobs looks to be reining Sullivan in whenever his actions start getting out of hand.
- Expressive Ears: Iruma has noted that, while Opera's face might stay the same most of the time, the positioning of their ears does change depending on their mood.
- The Jeeves: They're a classic example of a devoted manservant... you know, besides them being a demon.
- Not So Above It All:
- They normally act as the voice of reason and sanity for Sullivan, but whenever Iruma praises them or treats them as part of his family, they're shown to be capable of appreciating it just as much as Sullivan.
- When they were in school, they were a bully upperclassman to Kalego, and when he comes over for a teacher-house visit, they get right back to screwing around with him.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: They are normally stoic, even in some of the more troublesome situations. But if even they are visibly scared of Evil Iruma's condition, than you know that it is serious.
- Sempai/Kohai: Opera is Kalego's senpai back in their student days. Apparently Opera was quite the bully.
- The Stoic: Their default expression is rather neutral, and they rarely ever deviate from it.
Babyls Demon School
Voiced by: Daisuke OnoA strict teacher who takes his job very seriously. He greatly dislikes troublemakers and annoying people.
- Berserk Button: People who are noisy, undisciplined, and do whatever they want. In other words, someone like his boss, Sullivan.
- The Chew Toy: If anything can go wrong for him, it will go wrong in as amusing a manner as possible. Iruma is (accidentally) his main nemesis, but pretty much any time a teacher or student's wacky antics inconvenience someone, that someone will be Kalego.
- The Comically Serious: He always portrays himself as a serious Stern Teacher. Too bad he's in a zany comedy.
- Familiar: Becomes Iruma's due to Iruma being human when using the summoning circle and using the paper with Kalego's symbol on it.
- He also has his own as a demon. It's some sort of golden dragon-hydra.
- Hidden Depths: He apparently has a hobby of collecting cactuses, suggesting he might be a Caring Gardener outside of work.
- Jerkass: The universe hates him, and he hates it back. It's genuinely unclear how much of his surly, abrasive attitude is just him, and how much is his appalling luck making sure he gets off on the wrong foot with everyone.
- Morphic Resonance: Whether it's his normal self or his familiar form, he has a long hair strand that flops out.
- Odd Friendship: He seems to get along with Professor Balam.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: Despite most people just annoying him, he seems to be genuinely scared of Opera.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Even though Kalego is always stone-faced and grumpy, he's actually very fair and reasonable if a student show their respect and go above and beyond his expectations. By the end of the school festival arc, he had come to accept Iruma's competence and raised his power rank by one, though he's still mildly upset about all the ruckus the Magical Tools division caused.
- Sempai/Kohai: He was Opera's kouhai and glorified errand boy during his school years.
- Spell My Name with an "S": His given name can potentially be translated as Kalego, Callego, or Calluego.
- Stern Teacher: He takes his job as a teacher very seriously, and will not take any tomfoolery from students, fellow teachers, or even from the principle.
- Stronger Than They Look: In his familiar form, he looks like a very small bird. Despite this he was able to knock out both Azu's and Sabnock's familiars at the same time.
- It is also revealed he is one of the strongest teachers at the school, Ranked 8.
- Surrounded by Idiots: Students and other teachers alike, especially the headmaster, much to his dismay.
- Tsundere: He actually cares about the wellbeing of his students, though he acts like he doesn't and gets really jumpy when somebody points this out.
Voiced by: Satomi AraiThe head of demonic biology class and the magical vegetation division.
- Cat Smile: She has a bit of a cleft lip, giving her a permanent one.
- Exotic Eye Designs: It's a bit hard to tell since the farthest she's ever opened her eyes so far is half-lid, but she looks to have either 4-pointed stars or trees for pupils.
- Eyes Always Shut: She's not actually averse to opening them, but most of her page-/screen-time in the manga and anime have them closed.
- Green Thumb: The anime adds an extra scene which shows that her personal magical affinity involves plants, as befitting the teacher in charge of them.
- Verbal Tic: She has a habit of randomly saying the French word "oui". The English translation of the anime turns it into "yis".
The succubus teacher for seduction.
- Exotic Eye Designs: When using her "Sexy Scope" powers, her pupils change into hearts that take up most of her eyes.
- Horny Devil: Her literal job description involves her being sexy and seductive in order to get men to do what she wants, and she works at the school to teach other demon girls how to be just as erotic.
- Magic Eye: She has "Sexy Scope" as an inherent succubus power, which lets her measure the sexual appeal and skill of the people she looks at.
- Love Potion: She offers one to Clara when she failed miserably in her seduction lessons, but Clara turns it down.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Her name can also be translated as Lime.
- Unusual Eyebrows: Hers extend off the side in M-like arcs before curving back under her eyes, giving them a heart-shaped look.
The teacher for the familiar class.
- Always Accurate Attack: His bloodline grants him the ability to shoot arrows that will always reach their target, bypassing anything that might get in the way.
- Cool Teacher: He's a rather exuberant teacher, always doing his best to connect with his students, though he can be very absent-minded at times.
- The Ditz: Also like Clara, his mind tends to wander a lot, occasionally losing track of whatever he was trying to do.
- Keet: He's pretty much a male Clara, full of energy and enthusiasm.
The teacher of magic foundation.
A magical knowledge teacher.
A magical knowledge teacher.
- Dirty Old Man: Was fully willing to do a favor for the Abnormal class after a chat with Kamui, the resident super-perv.
The astrology teacher.
- Born Lucky: His bloodline grants him immense luck, making it where anything involving chance will go in his favor.
- Healing Factor: His bloodline grants him the power to rapidly heal from any injury as long as he has mana, making him effectively immortal. He still feels pain, though.
- Immortality Hurts: As mentioned above, he is pretty much immortal as long as he has mana, but doesn't stop him from feeling the pain of each attack.
The teacher for imaginary beings.
- Facial Horror: Due to an accident, the skin on half of his jaw has been permanently torn off, requiring him to always wear something to cover it, so as not to constantly terrify other people.
- Cool Mask: Wears one that looks like the mouth-piece of a knight's helmet, which hides his mouth disfigurement.
- Cool Teacher: He is very good at explaining things with his picture books. It was thanks to him Iruma was able to get a grasp on his studies.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Easily one of the creepiest looking and acting characters in the series so far, but is actually a very nice guy. Even when his friendliness causes Iruma to accidentally reveal that he's human, he shows that this niceness does indeed extend to humans, at least under the belief of Iruma being from an endangered species. He also provides picture books to help Iruma with learning demon world things and improving his grades.
- Friend to All Living Things: Despite his creepy appearance and demeanor, he actually holds deep, genuine affection for all other living beings. The fact his appearance scares most creatures away means he grew to be incredibly affectionate towards those willing to stick around.
- Important Haircut: Following his initial interactions with Iruma, when they meet again after the final exams, he's shaved his long, messy hair off out of the decision to do more in order to become more approachable to students, thanks to Iruma giving him the confidence to try.
- Living Lie Detector: His bloodline gives him the ability to tell when somebody is trying to deceive him.
- The Mentor: Of all the teachers at Babyls, he's probably the most effective at actually teaching Iruma about the demon world.
- No Sense of Personal Space: He's dreaded around the school for his incredibly touchy-feely attitude. It's to the point where rumors spread about him doing it to find suitable test subjects for experiments.
- Odd Friendship: He is actually a friend of Kalego.
- Secret Keeper: He is one of the few characters that knows Iruma is a human.
- Stronger Than They Look: Despite being Creepy Good and easily emotional, one would be forgiven to not realize he is a 8th Rank Demon.
Voiced by: Hiroshi ShimozakiThe proprietor of the school store.
Voiced by: Takuya SatoA demon who aspires to be the Demon King because it is cool. His family lineage let's them make weapons.
- Antiquated Linguistics: Has a tendency to speak in an exaggerated, bombastic way, including near-constant use of "thou" and "thee", most likely as yet another way to look cool.
- Ascended Fanboy: He dreams of becoming this, as his love for the previous Demon King is so strong that he wants to be the next one.
- Bait-and-Switch: When he gives the reason he wants to be the Demon King, it shows cliche scenes such as his big brother becoming his rival and it being his dying little sister's last wish. He immediately states that neither of those things happened as his brother is a pacifist and his sister is fine, he just wants to become the Demon King because "HE'S THE COOLEST!"
- Custom Uniform: He sure likes showing off his muscles with his own personal uniform.
- Foil: To Azz. Where Azz portrays himself as proper and dignified, Sabro is very loud and runs on Rule of Cool. This is also reflected in their familiars where Azz is Fire and his is Water.
- Hidden Depths: Seems to be a talented actor, as shown when he played the Demon King during the festival play. He's also one of the smartest students in the class, at least academically.
- Graceful Loser: When he thought he was about to meet his end, he accepts it without question.
- Insane Troll Logic: Tends to think like this when it comes to his ideas of how he can be cooler than everybody else, such as fighting a teacher in an attempt to get instant fame, or seeing more limbs on a familiar as meaning they're stronger than those with less limbs.
- Only a Flesh Wound: He's introduced with a plethora of weapons sticking out of him. None of them hurt him, of course.
- Red Baron: "The Golden Lion"
- Rule of Cool: Pretty much everything he does is because he thinks it looks cool, and the coolest guy he can imagine is the Demon King.
- Smarter Than You Look: Despite being a competitive loudmouth with a penchant for starting fights, he's actually reasonably intelligent, to the point of getting pretty high grades. He justifies this by stating that since he wants to become the Demon King, getting good to excellent grades is just to be expected of him.
- Spontaneous Weapon Creation: His bloodline grants him the power to create any kind of weapon made out of whatever material he is currently biting into.
- Tears of Joy: Did this when he got into the King's Classroom.
Andromalius M. Jazz
Voiced by: Tetsuya KakiharaA student known for stealing from other students and teachers.
- Greed: With his desire for earning money and stealing, it's natural that his character is associated with the sin of greed.
- Self-Imposed Challenge: Invoked. He wears rings on each finger that will ring loudly if he slips up even the tiniest bit when pickpocketing.
- Sticky Fingers: He can't resist using his family's powers to steal stuff from other people.
Voiced by: Nao TouyamaA demon who is secretly a popular 'akudol' (demon idol) called Kuromu.
- Adorably Precocious Child: Was one when she was a kid, to where a demon bought her a very high ice cream cone after bumbling into him caused her to drop her previous one.
- An Ice Person: Her family bloodline can create ice.
- Dramatic Irony: She thinks Iruma is intentionally trying to gain more fame an attention to himself, unaware he is actually trying to go unnoticed as much as possible.
- Emotionless Girl: Appears to be a trait of her entire family. She was one too until her grandmother showed her an idol show. It is later revealed that her family can express emotion, but do not have a high stamina for doing so. Which is why they don't attend her live concerts as they don't believe they would be able to handle the emotions.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Despite secretly being a popular idol, she developed a strong sense of jealousy towards Iruma because of how the latter easily takes the attention of people away from her.
- Idol Singer: As Kuromu, a popular demon idol.
- Power-Strain Blackout: She will pass out if she overexerts herself.
- Secret Identity: No one knows she is the akudol Kuromu. Iruma only found out when he met Kuromu and noticed the similar traits both had. During the Royal One Arc, she was actually willing to reveal she was Kuromu to help get the permission slips for the classroom transfer, but Iruma tells her not to because he knows she wants to keep that a secret. Something that causes her to blush
- Unknown Rival: Iruma had no idea that Crocell was jealous of how easily he was able to get fame. It especially didn't help with Iruma praising Kelor on her ability to go unnoticed, which is a Berserk Button for her.
- "Well Done, Daughter!" Girl: She believes her family is against her being an akudol as they never show up to any of her live shows and she wants them to experience happiness like she does. It is later revealed they always supported her and watch her shows at home, because they don't believe they would have the emotional stamina to handle it live.
Voiced by: Yoshitaka YamayaA demon who is known for gambling in school.
- The Gambler: He enjoys the thrill of gambling.
- Prehensile Tail: He's often seen using his tail in order to avoid using his legs, whether as a seat or locomotion.
- Sense Loss Sadness: His bloodline gives him the power to temporarily invoke this on another person. Affecting more than one sense at a time puts a major strain on his mana, however.
Voiced by: Gakuto KajiwaraA perverted demon who takes the form of an owl.
- I Regret Nothing: It was revealed that he was sent to the Abnormal Class for his sexual harassment of both students and teachers. And, just as it says on the trope, he regrets nothing.
- Gentleman and a Scholar: He sees himself as a Gentleman, and he can be viewed as a scholar of women.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: He would do pretty much anything to get close to women, like starting the Female Body Research Club.
- Lust: Being a massive pervert, it's not surprising that his character is associated with the sin of lust.
- Red Baron: "Erotic Maestro".
Voiced by: Shunichi TokiAn unusual demon with a lion's head.
Voiced by: Kaede HondoA succubus demon with the ability to charm people into doing what she wants.
- Ascended Extra: She starts out the manga as a sort of background character, only getting a few scenes and saying a few lines here and there, but starting around Ch.50 she grows into an important secondary character. Additionally, the anime gives her extra scenes and lines in earlier parts of the story, making her slightly more story-important before where she becomes so in the manga.
- Brainless Beauty: She is one of the lowest scoring students in the class. (And if where she places on the image revealing this is to be taken as fact, she's actually THE dumbest student in class, even worse than Iruma, despite the fact that he couldn't understand anything the school was teaching!)
- Charm Person: She has a special ability where anyone who finds her attractive will unknowingly try to gain her favor.
- Custom Uniform: She wears a uniform similar to the normal one, but the midsection is removed showing off her stomach.
- Love Freak: When a special tea gets her to be more vocal about her thoughts, she's shown to have a strong liking for the idea of love, such as pestering other girls about who they like and encouraging marriage before they even graduate from school.
- Lust: She's associated with the sin of lust, not only for her powers but also because she's known for charming both her classmates and teachers.
- The Quiet One: She doesn't appear to be shy, but she doesn't say more than a few occasional small lines in the manga until around chapter 50.
- Statuesque Stunner: Easily one of the tallest girl in the series and very pretty.
Voiced by: Takuto YoshinagaA lazy demon who wears a sleep mask over his eyes while resting on a floating cloud.
- Blindfolded Vision: Despite constantly wearing a sleep-mask, he appears to be perfectly capable of doing things that require sight, such as tests, almost as if the eyes on his sleep-mask function as ACTUAL eyes.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Despite his laziness, he is shown to be able to tear up a good chunk of the earth in front of him just from moving his arm.
- Dishing Out Dirt: He's been shown to have the ability to manipulate the earth beneath him.
- Expressive Mask: He always wears a sleeping mask over his eyes, but the eyes on said mask still move as if they were real.
- Lazy Bum: He enjoys lazing around on his floating cloud.
Voiced by: Genki OkawaA furry demon who is skilled in swordsmanship.
- Blow You Away: He's capable of manipulating wind, though he mainly uses it to form the blade of his katana.
- Cool Sword: He carries around a Japanese katana sword for fighting and training.
- Elemental Weapon: His sword is actually just a katana hilt. He uses his wind magic to form the blade.
- Expy: He is pretty much a demon version of another samurai named Goemon.
- Katanas Are Just Better: He seems to prefer Japanese katana swords as his choice of weapon.
- Verbal Tic: He has a habit of ending his sentences with "de gozaru", as befitting of a person styling himself after samurai.
Voiced by: N/AA quiet and anti-social demon with black horns.
- Ascended Extra: While he still isn't anywhere close to being an important character, the anime actually gives him a lot more screen-time than the manga, and he even occasionally gets to do things besides exist.
- Living Prop: So far, he hasn't really been much of a character, mostly seeming to exist to round out the class roster. Most of the time he doesn't even appear as if the author forgot about the character.
- The Quiet One: Even worse than Elizabeth! While Elizabeth had some small lines here and there before finally having actual conversations, Soi so far has yet to say anything at all!
- The Stoic: Even more-so than Opera! At least Opera has a few moments where they express something. Soi so far has had no moments of expressing anything beyond a neutral face.
Voiced by: Saori HayamiThe student council president who is known for her strict and diligent personality as a demon.
- The Ace: She's the archetypal school paragon, gifted magically, physically, and academically. She is, however, massively insecure about her dark secret... until another shoujo fan comes to the underworld.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: She was able to deduce that Iruma was a human just by a few crazy actions that happened around him, and by that point she still hadn't met him face to face, all was just word of mouth.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Unusually, she doesn't make much use of magic in combat, mainly because kicking someone really hard usually gets the job done. She certainly doesn't have any difficulties with using magic in non-combat situations, so it's presumably just a matter of personal choice.
- Can't Act Perverted Toward a Love Interest: Not perverted, but Ameri can't keep up her tough side when around Iruma after she had a Love Epiphany.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: When she finally comes to realize Clara's existence, and learns that she has feelings for Iruma as well, she becomes wary of the potential threat the girl has towards her desire to be with him.
- Custom Uniform: As the trope says.
- Expressive Hair: The two "horns" of her hair twitch around when she's flustered, not unlike a dog's ears.
- Guilty Pleasures: Came to love human manga well before she knew what they say in them.
- Hidden Depths: Ameri has a bunch of them:
- She adores a Romance Story manga, even though she can't read it. She became ecstatic when she found out Iruma can and has him read it to her.
- When she graduates from school, she either plans to work with her father or open a bakery or flower shop.
- She constantly worries that she isn't worthy of the faith her subordinates place in her, at least until Iruma makes her realize they follow her because she's their friend, not because of her position.
- Every member of the Student Council were students that were down on their luck delinquents that she rescued. Because of this they are very loyal to her.
- Kick Chick: She uses Super Strength rather than magic in combat, and while she is willing to use her fists if necessary, her legs are by far her deadliest weapons.
- Lady of War: She's one of the best fighters in school, and backs up her phenomenal strength with graceful, refined martial arts.
- Love Epiphany: Eventually realizes her crush on Iruma after the incident involving her personality being reversed.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: With the shy, sensitive Iruma - she's a quintessential Tomboy with a Girly Streak, and bonds with him because he has the same girly hobbies she does.
- Mirror Morality Machine: She gets her personality reversed while Iruma was temporarily joining the Student Council.
- Right for the Wrong Reasons: She suspected Iruma was a human because he summoned a demon rather than a familiar and created a Sakura Tree, a plant that only existed in the human world. However what convinced her he was a human is that he "tried" to use a Crash-Into Hello to make her fall in love with him, something that was a complete accident and she only thought that because it's what happened in the manga she was reading.
- Secret Secret-Keeper: She figured out that Iruma was a human, but keeps it to herself.
- She's Got Legs: She's a tall, attractive Kick Chick in a short skirt, and her fight scenes are unsurprisingly heavy on the leg focus.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Her given name can also be translated as Amelie.
- Statuesque Stunner: She's the tallest female in the series and towers over Iruma easily. She's also very attractive.
- Strong and Skilled: She may rely on raw strength to fight rather than magic, but that doesn't make her a simple brute - she's a highly skilled martial artist with a graceful, refined fighting style.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Long hair notwithstanding, Ameri is the spitting image of her father.
- Student Council President: She definitely has the personality and power of a disciplined leader of the student council.
- Super Strength: She doesn't use much magic in combat, but she's one of the strongest students in school, able to down even the biggest demons with a punch to the jaw or kick straight through a stone wall.
- Sympathy for the Devil: Parodied. When she realizes that Clara is a potential love rival for Iruma, Ameri states she now knows how the love rival in Hatsukoi Memory feels.
- Thinks Like a Romance Novel: Like a romance manga. Reading too much of the Forbidden Books makes her picture every encounter with Iruma as a scene from Hatsukoi Memory.
- Tiny Guy, Huge Girl: Ameri stands nearly two heads taller than Iruma.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: She's a deadly fighter and terrifying disciplinarian who's also a huge fan of shoujo romance manga and considers opening a bakery or flower shop after she graduates. Notably, Iruma himself has girly enough interests that this becomes the first thing they bond over.
- Tsundere: She is obsessed with Hatsukoi Memory and quickly develops feelings for Iruma, though she vehemently denies all of this even in her own mind.
- What Is This Feeling?: She often has heart-fluttering feelings when thinking about Iruma that she doesn't know how to describe. She eventually affirms her affection for him, though.
Voiced by: Taku YashiroOne of the students that work directly under Ameri.
Zagan Johnny Western
Voiced by: Takuya EguchiOne of the students that work directly under Ameri.
Voiced by: Asami HarunaThe girl Iruma saved on the first day of school when he fought with Azz.
- Ascended Extra: Gets a lot more screen time in the anime compared to the manga.
- Missed Him by That Much: A Running Gag with her in the anime is that she keeps missing her chance to talk to Iruma.
- Rescue Romance: The anime shows that after being saved by Iruma from Azz' attack, she developed a crush on him
- Satellite Love Interest: In the anime, pretty much all of her lines are just her showing admiration for Iruma.
- Stalker with a Crush: Since the day he saved her, she fell for Iruma and often follows him around in an attempt to get close enough to talk to him. Her stalking isn't due to her crush, however, and instead is because she wants to thank him for the rescue. Azz' constant, somewhat frightening presence and her having unfortunate timing just keep getting in the way of her attempts.
A student in the magical tools research division.
- Barrier Warrior: His bloodline allows him to create barriers, which explains why despite his inventions usually blowing up he doesn't get hurt. He later uses this to entrap the school and get everyone killed in an explosion.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: He pretends to want to help others that have weak bodies like him using his creations, when he's actually a terrorist who gets off on suffering, both his and other people's.
- Cover-Blowing Superpower: Kalego was able to figure out that the attack on the school was his doing since he is the only student with the ability to create barriers.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: As a kid he looked like a girl.
- The Glasses Come Off: He takes them off when he decides to show his true personality
- Ill Boy: He has a very weak body, usually coughing up blood from over exerting himself or overusing his limited magic. The main reason he made the Magic Item Research Club was to develop magic items to help others similar to him make up for this weakness.
The president of the Student Discipline Committee
- Bishōnen: He's even more of a pretty-boy than Asmodeus, including girly eyelashes and waist-length hair, and is fully willing to flaunt it.
- Camp Straight: He certainly looks the part with his tight clothing, flamboyant makeup and sissy demeanor. Not to mention the constant Bishie Sparkle going on around him. Yet despite that he always has at least two girls hanging around him.
- Catchphrase: Likes to shout "It's me!" when he wants to direct attention to himself.
- Defeat Means Respect: Ronove is recruited into the student council despite running against Ameri.
- Drama Queen: Has a major flair for theatrics, to the point of always being surrounded by rose petals.
- Third-Person Person: Always refers to himself by his name.
A second year student who is a fan of Ameri. He was made to be a member of magic tools research division.
- Cheaters Never Prosper: Tried to use an Intelligence Potion to pass his exams, but was caught and is the only character who has to take extra classes.
- The Dog Was the Mastermind: He was first seen as just a background character that was a Fan Boy for Ameri. It is later revealed he was the one that changed her personality.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: He often annoys the people around him, but he is necessary for the Magical Tool Research Club, as they need a second year student to be an official school club.
- Got Volunteered: He was forced to be a member of the Magic Tool Research Division by Ameri as she deemed him too dangerous to be left alone and the club needed a second year student to be deemed official so it also helped Iruma. It also appeared that the Student Council was getting annoyed with him showing up.
The Thirteen CrownsThirteen of the most powerful demons in the demon world.
Azz's mother and the Head of Lust
- Absurdly Youthful Mother: She looks to be in her twenties, being a demon probably helps.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Much to Azz's dismay.
- Dirty Old Woman: The first time she saw Iruma's Firework project, she asked if it was an Erotic Tool.
- Horny Devil: She's the demon Head of Lust, so it comes with the territory.
- Lust: She is the Head of Lust of the Thirteen Crowns, and is very attractive.
- The Mentor: It is revealed that Raim was her student.
The directorial chief of the 13
The demon in charge of food production
- Big Eater: He's a rather portly man, and Amayon claims it would do well for him to starve a little.
Ameri's father and the demon security chief.
- Doting Parent: He's really protective of his daughter, so much so that the mere thought of Ameri and Iruma spending time alone talking about romantic stuff is enough to make him dizzy.
- Overprotective Dad: When he mistakes Ameri and Iruma for already being in a relationship, he becomes very defensive.
- Poor Communication Kills: He gets suspicious when Ameri states that she and Iruma often talk with each other. She only adds to the misunderstanding by stating that they are usually alone, after school, drinking tea while talking about love and their future (with her meaning their dreams). He takes that as them talking about marriage and that they're already in a romantic relationship.
- Shared Family Quirks: Like his daughter, he also has the habit of squishing Iruma's face with his hands.
- Verbal Tic: When she speaks, she pronounces all "S" and "TH" sounds as "Z". Amayon calls it the "Tohoku Tick".
One of the demons expected to become Demon King
- Doting Grandparent: Gloats about his grandson whenever he can.
One of the Demons expected to become Demon King.
- Berserk Button: She seems to hate being called an "Old Hag", if the state of Lord Beliard and Lord Sullivan beaten to a pulp afterwards is any indication.
- Doting Grandparent: Gloats about her grandson whenever she can.
- Older Than They Look: She's only 2 years younger than Sullivan and Beliard, but looks at least a decade so. Sullivan accuses her of overdoing it on skincare products.
- The Man Behind the Man: Is the hidden backer of Ami Kriyo in the plan to destroy the school during the Batora Party.
Sabro's little sister.
- Big Brother Worship: She loves to spend time with Sabro.
- The Ditz: She proudly admits she lost track of her oldest brother when they came to the school fair.
- Shoulder Teammate: Like Clara, she seems to like climbing on her older brother.
- Strong Family Resemblance: She looks almost exactly like a smaller version of her brother with some noticeable feminine features.
- Tomboy: She seems to take after her older brother in personality and aesthetic.
The Valac Family
Clara's family, consisting of her mother and father, eldest brother Urara, middle brother Konchie, youngest brother Keebow, and twin younger sisters Sin-Sin and Ran-Ran
- Adaptational Early Appearance: The anime has them make their animated debut in episode 8, during a segment adapting Ch. 17 of the manga, which is 19 chapters before they would officially introduce themselves in the manga.
- Black Sheep: Urara, the oldest son of the Valac family, is much more serious compared to the natural Cloudcuckooland that makes up the rest of his family, to the point Kalego thought they actually kidnapped him and sympathizes with him "resisting those genes". However, despite not going along with his family's craziness, it is clear that he still loves them and they love him back.
- Cloudcuckoolander: All of them are just as weird as Clara, except for Urara.
- Eyes Always Shut: Clara's mother, who takes this a bit further than Stolas Suzy in that we have yet to see her open them at all.
- Massive Numbered Siblings: Counting Clara, there are three brothers and three sisters.
- The Power of Creation: Given their the family line from whom Clara gets her power, all of them (besides the parent that married into the family) obviously have the ability to re-create anything they've seen before.
- Strong Family Resemblance: All of them pretty much have the same face and Hime Cut.