The Crownless Eagle
People of the Commonwealth Republic
Characters belonging to the territories of the Commonwealth Republic
The first president of the Commonwealth Republic after the dethroning of King Augustus.
- Benevolent Boss: He not only cares for the people of the new Republic, but also really trusts in their judgement even if other members of his government have their own reservations.
- Good Is Not Dumb.
- Minor Major Character: While he is the president of the Commonwealth for a really long time, he does not have as much screen time as the Commonwealth's generals or other members of his government.
- Our Hero Is Dead: Ulryk is murdered by an Austrian assassin, one of the main detonants to the war between the Commonwealth and its allies and Austria and its own.
- Reasonable Authority Figure.
- Rebel Leader: Was this in the shadows before becoming the first president of the Republic.
Prime minister of the Commonwealth Republic and Ulryk's number two.
- Badass Bureaucrat.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: While Ulryk is still an effective president and quite trusted by the people, it is Roscilaw's machinations and great administrative skills that make the Commonwealth a superpower to be feared and respected.
- Number Two: To Ulryk.
- Retired Badass: At the age of 102, he managed to create the Eastern Union, an alliance between the Commonwealth, Ottoman Empire, Mughals and China.
- Staff of Authority: He was known to always carry a modest cane wherever he went.
- The Ace: One of the most effective members of the republic's government.
- The Chessmaster: Thanks to his huge net of agents, there are very few things in the Commonwealth which occur without him knowing about it.
- The Man Behind the Man: To Ulryk.
- The Unfettered: He is quite determined to make sure the Commonwealth is not destroyed by its many enemies.
- Odd Friendship: Despite their many differences, Roscilaw and Ulryk work very well together.
Secretary of Justice of the Commonwealth's Republic and radical anti-monarchist
Commander of the Commonwealth's armies both during the monarchy and the republic. One of the best generals in the whole army, Stanislaw is known for his daring and ambition.
- Anti-Hero: For the people of the Commonwealth he is a hero, a victorious general who has never known defeat and conquered many lands for the Republic. The government and Poniatowski's fellow generals however know he is also a dangerous man who will do anything to make sure his name is forever remembered in history booksHe will order the execution of agents of the Commonwealth sent to spy on him, or burn half of England to the ground just to make sure his name is not forgotten.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: He is a fearsome cavalry commander who is never afraid to get his blade bloody.
- Badass in Charge: Of the Commonwealth's most veteran army.
- Frontline General: More than other generals, Stanislaw will often charge into enemy lines at the head of his bodyguard.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Previously a little-known noble in charge of some cavalry squadrons at the southern frontier. Dozens of battles and campaigns later, a rising star feared by his enemies and mistrusted by the republic's government.
- Not Afraidto Die: Poniatowski himself had seen so many battles, he is no longer afraid to die in battle. He is, however, afraid to do so unremembered like many of his past friends.
- The Determinator: He is ready to kill thousands to fulfill his ambitions.
- The Strategist: A quite competent one, always eager to take advantage of a situation and do what the enemy least expects.
- Killed Off for Real: During the batte of London.
Commander of the Commonwealth's elite cavalry "Honor Guard". Later elected as president of the republic after Ulryk's assassination.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Both when he is the commander of the Commonwealth's elite cavalry forces and During his time as a war-time president.
- Alliterative Name: Sebastian Stolarski.
- Beneath the Mask: The siege of Stockholm almost ended with Stolarski losing his life. While he tries to put a brave face in front of his troops, the truth is he is haunted by the experience and resorts to heavy drinking as a way to cope. Later, he gets better thanks to the help of the doctor who saved his life.
- Reports of My Death Were Greatly Exaggerated: In theory killed during the siege of Stockholm, he managed to survive thanks in no small part to the help of a Swedish doctor.
- The Leader: It happens several times. The first takes place right after the siege of Stockholm where, as the last commander alive in the whole invasion force, he continues with the offensive. The second time is when he becomes president of the Commonwealth and leads the country into war.
- Tooka Levelin Badass: Starting of just as a minor commander he no longer survives a bloody siege which kills some of the principal commanders in the Commonwealth's army, but also becomes the second president of the Commonwealth.
Revolutionary general who defeated the royalist forces of King Augustus in the battle for Warsaw. Afterwards, one of the commanders in the new Republic.
- Killed Off for Real: He is one of the commanders who die during the siege of Stockholm.
- Benevolent Boss: Despite being quite unforgiving to those suspected of being royalists or saboteurs, Prazmowski truly cares for his soldiers and is willing to take all risks necessary to make sure they remain alive.
- Rebel Leader: Commander of the revolutionary forces which faced the royal army of King Augustus. He retained his rank of general and command of his army after the revolution.
Alongside Poniatowski, one of the generals who fought both for the Crown and later the Republic. Previously only in charge of militia forces, he grew to become one of the top commanders of the First Republic.
- Always Someone Better: Poniatowski is seen as the better commander of the two of them. Still, as he is still respected and trusted by both the people and his own men, Lempicki makes no protests, actually admiring Poniatowski's skill.
- Number Two: Is often seen as this, even if his rank matches that of other commanders in the Commonwealth.
- Killed Off for Real: He is one of the commanders who die during the siege of Stockholm.
- The Creon: Despite his long list of victories, Pawel is not as famous as other generals like Prazmowski or Poniatowski. Nevertheless, he is far more reliable in the eyes of the Republic's government and still seen as one of the best commanders they have.
- The Reliable One: Is seen like this by both the Commonwealth's government and his fellow commanders.
Enemies of the Commonwealth Republic
Nations and rulers who fight against the Commonwealth
King Augustus II the "Strong"
Elected king of the Commonwealth during the start of the 18th century. Later deposed by revolutionaries and forced to flee out of the realm.
- Ambitionis Evil: He is willing to start an 18th century World War which will bring death to hundreds of thousands just to get back his throne and end the "evils of the revolution".
- Bodyguard Betrayal: Inverted. When the forces of the revolution surround the palace, his royal guard of Saxons find out that he has already fled using a secret passage, taking most of his treasury with him.
- Strongand Skilled: Both in real life and in the series, Augustus II was known for his strength, to the point where he could bend iron horseshoes with his bare hands. During his sword duel with president Stolarski, he manages to defeat his opponent despite Stolarski being a veteran soldier. He is however knocked unconscious after a member of the Austrian royal guard hits him on the back of the head with his rifle.
- The Man Behind the Man: After fleeing his kingdom, Augustus spent much of his money and influence in convincing the other crowned heads in Europe to fight and destroy the first Republic, just so he could regain his throne. He even plotted the assassination of President Ulryk, making it look like it had been ordered by the Emperor of Austria (thus starting a war between both nations and their allies).
- Killed Off for Real: After the capture of the Austrian emperor's royal palace, he is discovered and captured by then-president Stolarski and a member of the Austrian royal guard. Afterwards, he is quickly judged and executed by guillotine in Warsaw.
The Swedish Empire
One of the Commonwealth's most bitter foes during the war for the North.
- Last Stand: The remains of the armies of the Swedish Empire do this in their capital of Stockholm as they are attacked by not one, but three different Commonwealth armies. A bloody battle ensues, with thousands dying on each side and the Commonwealth losing almost every single one of their generals. The attackers still emerge victorious and the now leaderless soldiers of the Commonwealth burn and pillage the defenceless capital.
- Propaganda Machine: The agents of the Kingdom of Sweden are quite good at picturing the Commonwealth as the worst, most evil empire ever created, to the point where both soldiers and generals will rather take their own lives than be captured by the soldiers of the Republic.
- Redshirt Army: Despite being competent soldiers and very difficult to rout, in most battles against the Commonwealth the armies of the Swedish Empire are annihilated.
- Royal "We": The king of Sweden always uses the royal "We" when speaking about himself.
- The Empire: Victorious in their campaigns against Russia, they are the most powerful realm in the North.
Citizens of the Galactic Commonwealth
Chancellor of the Council of Ortus and then the Galactic Commonwealth. Also head of the Innovation Party.
Prime minister of the Galactic Commonwealth during the start of the series.
- The Ace: There is a good reason why he was prime minister of the Galactic Commonwealth for more than a century.