Juto is a young man living on Highwind Island, with no memory of his past or his identity. He is dragged into the war when his island is attacked by the Northern Forces.
- Non-Elemental: Strength Kan. On the upside, he can store it.
- Skunk Stripe: At first.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: Juto, when he uses his superpowers.
- This Is My Story: His melodramatic narration.
Rzephillda Grena "Zephie" Berlinette
The princess of Lanzheim, who is the rightful heir to the throne after her mother's assassination. She fights on the front lines, which the Southern Forces officials do not approve of.
- Blow You Away: Of course she will.
- Paper Fan of Doom: One of Zephie's two weapon options is a large fan on a long stick.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: She's the founder and leader of the Counter-Sentinel Unit—and by leader, we mean she fights on the front lines, too.
- She's Got Legs
- Simple Staff: Her default weapon type.
A member of the Trewa race, and a former chieftain of them who lost his position after the Northern Forces destroyed his clan. He joined the Counter-Sentinel Unit because of this.
- Noble Bird of Prey mixed with Instant Awesome: Just Add Dragons!
- Non-Elemental: Strength Kan. Unlike wizardry-focused characters like Zephie and Crocell, whose Kan are tied to the environment, he can store Strength Kan.
- The StoicZephie (during battle): Argo, you're always calm. You can make the right judgment.
Crocell ReedenA wizard whose parents were killed by the civil war. He joined the Counter-Sentinel Unit to avenge them.
- Deceased Parents Are the Best: Or not. Depends on how you look at it.
- Fiery Redhead: Granted, it's more magenta-ish, but otherwise he's got the personality down to a tee.
- No Hero to His Valet: Inverted. His servant Marith is probably the only person he is kind to.
- Playing with Fire: His wizardry element.
- Power Fist: Two different types, magical and physical.
- Troll: He enjoys picking on Juto. Eventually goes into Vitriolic Best Buds territory, even after learning Juto's original identity.
Celestine RoaaA member of the Mare people whose mother died when she was young, and believes her father died as well. In truth, her father was a mercenary gone native and left after her mother's death, only to be turned into a Sentinel by the Northern Forces.
- Genki Girl: Ohhhhhh, yup. Very freaking much so.
- Mixed Ancestry: Is half-Mare, half-human.
- Improbable Weapon User: Bottles of incense? Yep, that definately counts.
- Interspecies Romance: With Argo. It's completely one-sided.
- Shipper on Deck: When Juto and Zephie discuss Juto's Sentinel powers, she thinks they are trying to declare their love for each other.
Siara Rue "Rue" Tessia
A woman who is Zephie's loyal guardian. She tries not to show any emotion, and firmly believes (like the Southern Forces generals) that Zephie should never be put into harm's way.
- All There in the Manual: Her full name.
- Flat Character: Though she gets a little development, in the second character drama.
- Known Only by Their Nickname: Her full name is never spoken.
- Lady of War: She uses graceful 'katana' or 'shuriken' styles, and maintains an air of cool, detached competency throughout the entire story.
- Living Prop: If she was replaced with a random soldier during her introduction, the story really wouldn't be affected.
- When She Smiles: According to Celestine, she has a beautiful smile. In actuality, it's a very creepy Off-Model look after completing the side quest where it happens.
The Northern Forces
The Prime Minister, who assassinated the Queen Ibrin for some reason and became the ruler of Lanzheim.
- Cloning Blues: He's a clone of the original Strass.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Strauss has been perpetuating the cycle of war in Lanzheim to power La Strada and keep the continent prosperous.
Schuenzeit's right hand woman.
Mad scientist who leads the Sentinel project.
- Mad Scientist: To the point that he's been experimenting on his own body.
Elgar the Regicide
The assassin who killed Queen Ibrin, and the original Sentinel. He is actually a clone of Juto.
- Cloning Blues: He's the Second Elgar.
- The Dreaded: Even the Northern Forces fear him.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Elgar the Regicide. He's the man who killed Queen Ibrin. Averted with Zephie; Schuenzeit ordered Elgar not to harm her under any circumstances.
The Southern Forces
The leader of the Southern Forces, a noble who Zephie joined up with while fleeing from Schuenzeit. Actually in cahoots with Schuenzeit.
- Evil All Along. Not that the game even tries to hide it.
- Talk to the Fist: Juto punches him when he arrives in Abazet.
The aide-de-camp of the Southern Forces, and former captain of the guard for Queen Ibrin.
The great hero who ended the Great Carta War 1000 years ago, by committing genocide on the Carta race. He then used their Kan to power his kamond, and made up for it by also powering La Strada so that no-one would ever have to farm again. This didn't quite work out, as it runs out approximately every 150 years. He makes more Kan by starting a war with a clone of himself.
A member of the Avis race, who takes delight in spamming the people of Lanzheim through their Cube Mail with educational emails. He gets kidnapped by the Northern Forces and rescued by the Counter-Sentinel Unit later on in the game, when he helps them out.
- Spammer: He exploits the fact that if you don't put a recipient on Cube Mail, everyone gets it.
Juto's surrogate big sister, who takes care of him and bosses him about on Highwind Island. She is killed by Elgar very early on, leading to Juto joining the Counter-Sentinel Unit to avenge her. She is not actually killed, but turned into a Sentinel and joins the Northern Forces. When she undergoes her Sentinel transformation, the party is forced to kill her.
- Guest-Star Party Member: At the beginning and on the second disc.
- I Let Gwen Stacy Die: The Gwen Stacy to Juto's Spider-Man.
- Villains Never Lie: She believes this. It doesn't last forever, luckily, but by then it's too late for her.
A scientist who developed the humanoid Sentinels.
- Defector from Decadence: He'd initially participated in the Sentinel research for money; but after a series of events, including First Elgar's disappearance, Nyx refused to go any further with it (which gets him dragged into an unused lab as a prisoner). When First Elgar returns as Juto, Nyx decides to help him and the others find the Princess.