Magical Girls | Kyubey and the Witches | Supporting Characters | The Movie Rebellion | Kazumi Magica (Magical Girls | Others) | Oriko Magica | Suzune Magica | Tart Magica | Portable | Magia Record (Main Cast | Madoka Cast | The Wings of Magius | Spinoff Characters | Flame Magical Girls | Aqua Magical Girls | Forest Magical Girls | Light Magical Girls | Dark Magical Girls | Other Magical Girls | Crossover Characters) | Concept Movie Trailer | Wraith Arc
Tropes applying to the entire team:
- Badass Crew: Don't screw with them. They will and can kick your butt into next week, should you anger them and/or target one of them.
- Breaking the Fellowship: In Chapter 6, Tsuruno, Felicia, and Sana are brainwashed into joining Wings of Magius, while Yachiyo announces the team is dissolved. They reunite after Chapter 7.
- Occult Detective: Their team's main goal is to investigate the rumors of Kamihama, which have a tendency of turning real.
- Putting the Band Back Together: In the plot of Chapter 7, Yachiyo and Iroha try to get the other three girls back.
- True Companions: As they come together, Iroha notes her team is starting to feel like a family. Notably, Iroha, Yachiyo, Felicia and Sana end up sharing the same house.
Iroha Tamaki is looking for her younger sister, Ui, who disappeared in Kamihama City. To cure her little sister's illness, she made a decision to become a magical girl. While she is cheerful and serious, she is too careful about her surroundings.
The main protagonist and point-of-view character, she comes to Kamihama City at the beginning of the story to search for a mysterious girl who keeps appearing in her dreams. Determined to search for her missing memories and the identity of the somewhat familiar girl, she unintentionally tangled in the fight against the Wings of Magius. Her wish was to cure her younger sister's illness and her magic is a powerful healing that revive even the half-dead. Giovanna, being the representative of Iroha's feeling of lost from Ui's possible death, is an isolated cuckoo bird that that will attack those that disturb its silence, yet yearning for something to fill the gap in its heart.
- Amnesia Missed a Spot: The reason she comes to Kamihama is because she has dreams of a girl in the hospital. She eventually remembers this girl is her sister Ui, who no-one else can remember.
- Animal Motif: She has a lot of bird imagery, from her cape making a silhouette of bird's wings when spread and her Doppel Giovanna is the Witch of Cuckoo.
- Armor-Piercing Question: When Touka rants that the Magius will sacrifice everything to achieve their goal, Iroha asks her whether she's going to sacrifice even her beloved father. Iroha doesn't get her answer, only angry snarls.
- Badass Cape: Has one in her magical outfit.
- Bare Your Midriff: As a magical girl.
- Beam Spam: Her Magia is pretty much a "from above" rapid-fire from her crossbow.
- Big Sister Instinct: The reason she came to Kamihama City.
- Combat Medic: Is one of the magical girls that can heal teammates, and the only one who can bring back fallen ones.
- Cool Big Sis: She has done things for Ui, such as learning how to cook her favorite dish. Her wish was even to cure Ui's illness. It is revealed that both Touka and Nemu also think highly of her. The main reason why the trio contracted in the first place was because they noticed Iroha's magical girl business and found out about the Awful Truth from interrogating Kyubey. Wishing to save Iroha from the fate of a witch, they tandemly made three wishes that would destroy the energy cycle system. It didn't go well.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: Yachiyo convinces Iroha that summoning her Doppel is dangerous, as something that requires her Soul Gem to be tainted can't be good.
- Declaration of Protection: An odd one. In Chapter 6 Iroha declares that she will save Yachiyo from her belief that she's a Doom Magnet. Iroha then proceeds to beat a Rumor single-handedly in order to prove it.
- For Want of a Nail: In Ultimate Madoka's side story, while the divergence of the Magia Record timeline's focal point is the survival of Ui, Touka, and Nemu from their illness, the divergence actually started when Iroha once went to school she tripped on a small pebble and almost late to school.
- Friendless Background: While she wasn't a loner, Iroha had trouble fitting in and making friends with her classmates at her old school.
- Gratuitous Italian: Her Limit Break is called Strada Futuro which means "Future Path," as much as it makes sense.Note
- Healing Factor: Her personal memoria grants self-healing.
- The Heart: Iroha arguably brings the group together via befriending Yachiyo and Felicia.
- Hopeless with Tech: Downplayed. Iroha needs to be taught how to use a cell phone. She also doesn't know what a phonebook is.
- I Will Find You: Iroha's motivation is to find her sister.
- Long Hair Is Feminine: Though she usually keeps it braided.
- Modesty Shorts: As a magical girl.
- Naïve Newcomer: Being new in Kamihama, she is unfamiliar with how things work in the city. She also lacks information about the ward conflict. This requires her teammates to explain things to her (and to the audience).
- Nice Girl: She's a friendly young girl that tries avoiding hurting other people's feelings.
- Pink Is Feminine: Has pink hair and her costume features a lot of pink color.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: Her pink hair highlights her kind-hearted nature of her personality.
- Spanner in the Works: Yachiyo is the strong, intelligent, experienced, and charismatic Big Good of Kamihama City... if she's not wallowing in her self-loathing. Mifuyu cultivates Yachiyo's infamy as the way to prevent Yachiyo from snooping around the Wings of Magius' activities since, as Mifuyu herself says, "(Yachiyo) is harmless if she's alone." So, when Iroha comes to Kamihama City free from prejudice and sticks with Yachiyo despite people's warnings, she gives Yachiyo someone precious to fight for and thus, her motivation. Iroha basically pulls Yachiyo from her apathy just by being a nice person.
- Supporting Protagonist: To an extent. While she's definitely the main character, she isn't the leader of the team she's a part of. This changes in Chapter 6.
- Stripperific: An event-exclusive outfit features her in a skimpy swimsuit.
- Take a Third Option: In Chapter 6 Yachiyo reveals her belief that anyone she leads is doomed to sacrifice themselves for her sake. She tells Iroha to stay away from her for that reason. Iroha has none of it and decides to declare herself the leader of the team, and Yachiyo should follow her instead.
- Tomato in the Mirror: It's revealed in Chapter 8, after meeting the Thousand Years Sakura Rumor and regaining her memories, that Iroha was actually the fourth 'Magius' (or an equivalent of) with Ui as the third. Before the Wings of Magius existed, the four were planning and dreaming up for the Wings of Magius' goal of a world without sadness, with Iroha watching over the younger girls as not to stray.
- Weapon of Choice: A crossbow.
Yachiyo Nanami is a veteran magical girl that came to Kamihama City seven years ago to fight witches. She is an expert on Kamihama City and magical girls. She keeps her distance from other magical girls, but she is collecting information on the outbreak of "rumors" in Kamihama City.
One of the main characters, she appears in Chapter 1 as Iroha's one-time obstacle before turning into a major ally and leader of the main characters' team. A university student who part-times as a model, she's a hermit who used to lead magical girl teams before she suddenly cut off her connection with her teammates after they found out the truth of the Witch system. Deciding to come out of hiding to search for her childhood friend Mifuyu, she chases after the Rumors for any lead on Mifuyu's current allegiance with the Wings of Magius. Her magical power is gathering magical girls' wishes and hope, while her Doppel Campanella can brings disaster to those whose have been 'clipped' by the Doppel. Her wish was to be a survivor, considering the cutthroat industry of modeling.
- A-Cup Angst: She displays some envy during the second part of Summer Event 2018, being the flattest out of everyone involved.
- Achilles in His Tent: The reason why the Wings of Magius could operate for one year without much resistance is because Yachiyo was too apathetic to prevent them after she falls into a bout of self-loathing for causing one of her juniors turning into a Witch.
- Action Girl: Being a magical girl for seven years will do this to you.
- Adults Are Useless: Subverted, being of one of the few confirmed magical girls to survive long enough to become an adult.
- Almighty Janitor: A ticket-clipper is not a very glamorous profession, but Campanella is not a weak Doppel at all precisely because Yachiyo's guarding the entrance of Kamihama City for magical girls like a bouncer. Besides, who would have thought that the gate guard also doubles as the city's boss?
- Amateur Sleuth: She has been investigating Kamihama's rumors for a while now.
- Big Good: She's pretty much the Kamihama City's head honcho, even toward other magical girl teams. The Magius's strategy of fighting her is to basically render her impotent psychologically so they don't have to fight her, as fighting against someone who has a lot of connections with various active teams is just asking for the entire city to hunt them down.
- Body Horror: Yachiyo's transformation to Campanella isn't pretty. Her arms grow longer and become the Doppel's legs while her left leg twists backward to form the Doppel's tail, which grows several eyes on it.
- Broken Ace: She's smart, beautiful, strong, juggling three lives around like it's nothing, and there's no one that doesn't at least begrudgingly respect her. She's also an aloof self-hating mess who tortures herself with the memories of her past failures to the point she can't even consciously admit that Iroha is a precious friend.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Behind the ice queen persona is a young woman who's obsessed with occult phenomena and an orderly lifestyle, but there's a reason why she's a veteran among magical girl veterans.
- Catchphrase: "I don't have to answer that." You'd think she's her own lawyer.
- Combat Pragmatist: She isn't above using dirty tricks to win the fight like how she does to Tsukuyo in Chapter 4.
- Critical Hit Class: Her Connect increases the target's critical chance.
- Cruel to Be Kind: She puts Iroha through hardships because she wants to see if she can handle the city. She gets better after that.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: She's initially hostile to Iroha at first, but eventually warms up to her.
- Doom Magnet: Chapter 6 reveals that Yachiyo believes herself to be this, to the point where she thinks her wish causes others to sacrifice themselves for her. It's unclear how true this is.
- Elemental Weapon: As a 5-star, her trident gains a watery glow.
- Famed In-Story: She's a popular enough fashion model that Iroha's mother recognizes her from a newspaper article. In the magical girl world, she's quite famous for having an exceptionally long lifespan for someone who made her contract when she was 12 years old.
- Fashion Model: Has been mentioned to work as a magazine model.
- Hidden Depths: It turns out she's very good at hanetsuki because she has a Sweet Tooth for the shrine's mochi since she was a kid, and since the mochi is the price for hanetsuki match, she trained for a long time just to win it.
- Insistent Terminology: She claims Iroha isn't her friend, but her assistant, although she slips and calls Iroha "friend" at least once. Similarly, she claims Tsuruno is her apprentice, Felicia is just a sell-sword, and Sana is a zashiki-warashinote .
- It's All My Fault: Because her wish is to be a survivor in the cutthroat industry of modeling, when her friends died because they were protecting her, she takes it as her wish makes that she will survive at the expense of people around her. She started pushing people away from her after Meru died a year ago, leaving Momoko and Tsuruno confused of the reason why she suddenly abandoned them.
- I Will Find You: The reason Yachiyo hunts down rumors is because she believes they will allow her to reunite with her missing Childhood Friend Mifuyu Azusa. When Mifuyu turns up working with the villains, Yachiyo continues to hunt down rumors so she can get the chance to confront Mifuyu again.
- Knight In Sour Armor: Her attitude used to be much friendlier than it is now before her friends started dying, though it doesn't stop her from doing her job.
- Kuudere: Quiet but sweet when one gets over her icy front.
- Not So Different: Yachiyo ends up compelling Holy Mami from succumbing to the Rumor that is attached to her by remarking that they both are the same emotionally distant person who other girls are looking up to as paragons of virtues and making them especially susceptible to loneliness, something that Yachiyo found out previously with Iroha's help. Because of that distance, Yachiyo actually doubts that the other Mitakihara girls could reach Mami the same way Tsuruno was saved. Instead, Yachiyo offers Mami a camaraderie with her as fellow emotionally distant people. Mami accepts.
- Prongs of Poseidon: Fitting for an Aqua element girl, her weapon of choice is a trident.
- Prophecies Are Always Right: Has this attitude towards the Kamihama City rumours, though Momoko dismisses it. Yachiyo is quite justified.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: She's aloof and vaguely hostile at first, but then shows a sensitive side.
- Supporting Leader: She's arguably the real leader of Iroha's team, as the most experienced magical girl. Subverted in Chapter 6 when Iroha takes leadership.
- Survivor Guilt: She saw two friends sacrifice themselves to save her life, and becomes convinced it's her own fault.
- Water Is Blue: An Aqua element girl with blue hair and a mostly blue outfit.
- We Used to Be Friends: Her Childhood Friend Mifuyu turns out to be working with the villains.
A magical girl who is reckless and full of energy. She comes from an historic, honorable family and she will always respect and admire her grandfather and great-grandfather who guided it to prosperity. In the present day, the Yui household has fallen into ruin, so she struggles greatly to try and restore its name, and for that purpose, her aim is to become the strongest magical girl of all.
A main character, she appears as a major ally in Chapter 3. She runs a Chinese restaurant, which is (in)famous for being extremely mediocre. Her Doppel, Yuhong, has the ability to attract wealth. According to a comment by Yachiyo, her personal magic is good luck. Her wish was to win an 800 million yen lottery to save her restaurant, but her mother and grandmother wasted it on a luxury cruise.
- Balloonacy: Tsuruno's doppel is part Chinese Sky Lantern, so it lifts her up in the air whenever she summons it.
- Bare Your Midriff: As a magical girl.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Tsuruno wished for her family to win the lottery so they could save their failing Chinese restaurant. Unfortunately, her mother and grandmother took the money and ran away to a pleasure cruise. Tsuruno tries to be the strongest magical girl because it's all she has left.
- Blood Knight: Downplayed. In the past, she would challenge any and every magical girl to a duel on the spot.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Touka specifically amplifies Tsuruno's brainwashing because she's very strong a pawn. When Felicia and Sana shrug off theirs quite easily, Tsuruno remains under the Wings of Magius for some time longer.
- Broken Ace: She's at the top of her class, super strong, a great fighter, and a very nice person. But she's also terrified that if she doesn't become strong, she'll lose her restaurant, and her mother and grandmother are wealth-obsessed jerks who abandoned the family.
- Combat Hand Fan: Her Weapon of Choice are two fans.
- Dangerously Short Skirt: As a magical girl.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: An interesting spin of this; Tsuruno only has the dead eyes when she's the most relaxed. Because she feels that she has to be the emotional pillar of everyone else, she's burdened by the thought that if she doesn't stay vigilant with her role, her loved ones will drown in their misery. Thus, her usual look is actually her Dull Eyes of Unhappiness. Her blank eyes instead appear when she no longer cares about maintaining this front and just does whatever she likes. This is the same reason why Rumor Tsuruno has the blank eyes all the time.
- Elemental Weapon: As a 5-star, her fans are covered in flames.
- Foreign Culture Fetish: She really likes Chinese culture. It's to the point that her Doppel has a Chinese name instead of the others' more European-inspired names.
- Friend or Idol Decision: Tsuruno and her older sister made promise that they would make their grandfather's restaurant famous. As they grow older, Tsuruno's sister decides that she can't keep her promise and chase after her own dream. It makes Tsuruno has a doubt whether she should continue with her goal, knowing that her mother and grandmother only see the restaurant as a money-making investment instead of a labor of love like her grandfather, or find a new goal that she really wants and abandon the restaurant. She decides that making the restaurant famous is just a side-goal; her true goal to happiness is to help and support her friends.
- The Heart: She acts as a moodmaker and role model in every situation she's in. She defuses fights, teaches schoolwork in a way that even the notorious academically underachieving Felicia understands her easily, is infectiously cheerful, is a model student, and is an honest and loyal friend. The moment she doesn't return home because she gets enticed by the Magius, her school goes into a state of panic because she had a perfect student record for 12 years (since she was a first grader). Her father goes into a bout of depression because he thinks that Tsuruno finally gets tired of her family and runs away, only for Tsuruno to come home one last time and tells him that she found a place for herself. At that point, Tsuruno's father crosses Despair Event Horizon and decides to really close their family's restaurant.
- Locked Out of the Loop: Because she was busy tending to her restaurant when Meru turned into a Witch, she's the only one of Yachiyo's original quintet who doesn't know about the Witch system.
- Modesty Shorts: Under her paltry excuse for a skirt in her magical girl form.
- Momma's Boy: Downplayed. Tsuruno's dad is a pretty happy guy... when his wife and his mom/mother-in-law aren't yelling at him.
- Shadow Archetype: Tsuruno has a long conversation with hers when her Soul Gem gets corrupted in her event story.
- Smarter Than You Look: She's actually at the top of her class. She also has a tendency to figure things out before the other characters do.
- To Be a Master: Her goal in life is to be the strongest magical girl.
- Unluckily Lucky: Her power seems to make her this way, instead of an outright good luck. She has to experience a misfortune to balance out the fortune that she's going to get. Her restaurant is not the best out there and it's doubtful that it would get better, but it never goes bankrupt because it's cheap and it has loyal costumers - which Tsuruno get fairly easily because of her extrovert personality. In Meru's side-story, she ate the food that accidentally poured in a laxative and predictably spent the rest of the day in the restroom, but if she didn't, her restaurant would get a bad press for causing food poisoning. It also can be said that her fairly smooth release from the Rumor she's fused with is because she's lucky enough the influence is just 50%, or she might end up just like Mami.
An energetic, unyielding, and unfettered magical girl. As she hates witches from the bottom of her heart and wants to get revenge for her parents, she lives as a "mercenary" waging war against witches all over Kamihama. Her wild expressions during battle are influenced by shounen manga. However, she is gentle at heart and loves animals.
A main character, she appears in Chapter 3 as a one-off antagonist before turning into a major ally. An orphan who thought her parents were killed by a Witch; in reality her parents were killed in an accident she started. Her wish was to undo what had just happened, but for an unknown reason, it instead changed her memory into believing that her parents died because of a Witch. Her personal magic is memory wiping those who get hit by her hammer, and her Doppel Beatrice is a highly independent Doppel that will always put Felicia to sleep before going into a berserk rampage.
- Animal Motif: She's often associated to a cow (or more precisely a bull) because her hood has two horns on it, her favorite animal is cow, she's strong but not very smart, stubborn and capable of great violence but is actually soft-hearted.
- Anti-Armor: Her Magia debuffs target with Defense Down, applying two stacks once sufficiently ranked up.
- Awful Truth: Whenever she summons her Doppel it puts her to sleep to prevent her from seeing anything while it's active. Anything it encounters that goes against Felicia's worldview or beliefs gets covered with mud and smashed. This helps her avoid learning the truth behind her wish, which is probably for the best.
- Bare Your Midriff: As a magical girl.
- Berserk Button: Just being around witches causes her to enter a berserk rage.
- The Berserker: She loses herself to a berserk rage whenever she fights a witch, to the point where she accidentally attacks her allies. Iroha seems to be helping her get over this.
- Big Sister Worship: While she has various degree of admiration toward girls who are older than her, Felicia is specially looks up on Tsuruno because they "talk the same language", like when Tsuruno taught Felicia her math problems. It didn't start out that way, but Tsuruno patiently dealt with Felicia's antics - with everyone's help.
- Deadly Prank: Felicia tried to prank her mother while she was cooking, but it started a fire that burned down the apartment and killed Felicia's parents.
- Department of Redundancy Department: Her Magia is Ultra Great Big Hammer, which is as descriptive as it can get.
- Dumb Muscle: She's very strong, but isn't very smart. Yachiyo snarked that the only viable strategy for Felicia is to point her at the general direction of the enemy and let her wreak havoc because any more difficult strategy will just fly over her head.
- Fake Defector: Felicia seemingly offers her services to the Wings of Magius, but Yachiyo explained she hired Felicia to spy on them. Subverted when Felicia decides the Wings of Magius offered her a better deal. But she comes back around.
- The Grinch: Hates Christmas so much that she temporarily declares war on it. The holiday season only serves as a reminder that she can't spend Christmas with her parents anymore.
- Hired Guns: She works as a mercenary, mostly because she's homeless and needs a way to support herself.
- I Reject Your Reality: Her wish turns out have something of this effect; the biggest concern she has for her parents' death is because she was directly responsible of it, and she made the wish out of immense guilt she felt. Because her wish can't revive her parents from death, likely because of the lack of her karma weight, she instead was made by the wish to believe that a witch killed them instead to fulfill the implicit goal of the wish; that she's not guilty of the incident.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Her berserk rage often makes her run head first into enemies and obvious traps. Her almost monstrous strength is quite an asset when pulling herself out of that situation.
- Loner-Turned-Friend: Played With. In the main story she's introduced a solo mercenary who Iroha befriends and brings into her team. However, the side stories show she has other friends among Kamihama's magical girls.
- My God, What Have I Done?: The main reason why she's swayed by the Magius' brand of propaganda is that she feels guilty for only thinking the witches as mere monsters to exterminate, not knowing that they had died in despair for wishing something that she had also did.
- Power Glows: As a 5-star, her entire hammer has a purple glow.
- Rock Bottom: Played for Drama. In Chapter 4, Felicia is cursed by a Rumor to experience misery after twenty-four hours. Felicia doesn't really see the problem because she thinks having dead parents is the worst misery she can experience. Iroha has to convince Felicia that things can get worse, such as her Tragic Keepsake vanishing.
- Self-Made Orphan: She accidentally burned down her house, killing her parents. Her wish was to undo this mistake, but due to her ambiguous wording, it instead made her think she got orphaned by a witch.
- Temporarily a Villain: Felicia briefly decides to support Wings of Magius because she felt they were offering her a better deal. Iroha is able to convince Felicia that things will be worse if she doesn't help.
- Tragic Keepsake: Her stuffed cow doll, which is a memory of her dead parents.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A in her magical girl form with a pair of giant leg warmers.
An unconfident magical girl with negative thoughts. Shes obedient when people need her help. If she likes someone, she always stands right by that persons side silently.
A main character, she debuted on 23 October 2017 and appears as a major ally in Chapter 5. A magical girl with a neglectful family, her wish was to disappear. She befriends the Anonymous AI Rumor and willingly falls into its labyrinth, before crossing paths with the other main characters who investigate her voice when the Rumor sends out as an SOS message. Her wish is to disappear, which makes her personal magic a passive invisible against the magicless people. Her Doppel Theresia is an invisible humanoid sitting on a torture chair, flailing its pendulum head madly in torment.
- Abusive Parents: Her stepdad called her stupid to her face, and her entire family refused to interact with her directly. No wonder she wished to disappear.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Because Sana shows genuine kindness to the A.I. Rumor, it questions its "programming" and reaches out to Iroha to get Sana out of there.
- Boy Meets Ghoul: Sana's predicament in Chapter 5 is that she befriends a Rumor and willingly falls into its labyrinth. The Rumor realizes that she shouldn't be together with it because its nature as a Rumor will have various negative effects on Sana, but Sana doesn't want to leave because of her Friendless Background.
- Education Papa: Sana's stepdad was a university professor who had two sons of exceptional talents from his previous marriage. So when it turned out that Sana wasn't as smart or athletic as her step-brothers, he sort of gave up on her while still pushing her to be above average so she wouldn't tarnish the family name. He was so obsessed with her grades that he made her do nothing but study every Christmas.
- Friendless Background: It only contributed to her crippling anxiety and self-loathing.
- Gratuitous German: Her Limit Break is named Folter Gefängnis, which means "Torture Prison"
- Hikikomori: For a while, before she met Iroha.
- Hyperspace Arsenal: Her shield opens up to release weapons, including spiked ball, a pendulum, moving pliers, spiked chains...
- Invisible Jerkass: Her penchant for torture instruments is likely because of her repressed desire for revenge against those who wronged her. Combined with her passive ability to Invisible to Normals, this will make her skills a perfect crime just waiting to happen. But she doesn't, because she's not that kind of person and her friends are also not those kinds of people. Instead, her fascination for torture instruments becomes a fairly harmless quirk.
- Invisible to Normals: As a result of her wish, only magical girls and the like can see her.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: One of the things that somewhat preserved her self-worth is a back-alley stray cat that she befriended. When the cat was taken away, for an unknown reason, her mental fortitude plummeted significantly.
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me: Her Weapon of Choice is a giant shield.
- Nightmare Fetishist: She really likes medieval torture instruments.
- Power Glows: As a 5-star, her shield has a green glow.
- Showgirl Skirt: In her magical girl form.
- Shrinking Violet: She's the nervous type. Even her transformation sequence has her hiding behind her shield.
- Surprise Creepy: Downplayed, but her shield contains rather disturbing weapons. Also. the name of her Magia translates to "Torture Prison", and she got a book about historical punishments for Christmas. What is wrong with this girl? Well, we know now... poor thing.
- Unishment: None of her "bad ends" in Summer 2018 event really have a bad effect on her other than cutting the event plot short. One ending, where she becomes a famous marine biologist, is an outright Earn Your Happy Ending against her family's constant derision that plagues her backstory.
- Wicked Stepmother: Lived in fear of hers, as her parents are long dead.
- But Thou Must!: The player is allowed to choose his dialogue at certain points, but they only alter a few lines of dialogue at best.
- Butt-Monkey: It's a Running Gag that no matter what choice the Kyubey (read: player) chooses, Iroha will instead Take a Third Option.
- Canon Name: Lil' Kyubey, as seen here.
- Empty Shell: The Kyubey is more literal empty shell than a mere player self-insert, he's a body of an Incubator that had been robbed of its sentience when Ui, Touka, and Nemu made their wishes to supplant the witch system. When Ui was in verge of turning into a witch because she couldn't take the burden of her personal magic, in a last ditch move Touka and Nemu sealed her sentience into the empty Kyubey body to prevent her grief into clouding her Soul Gem. The reason why the amnesiac Iroha, Touka and Nemu get their memories back when they touch him is because that's the memory of Ui that jostles the memories back.
- Demoted to Extra: He doesn't disappear, but his importance to the plot decreases after the first chapter.
- Hello, [Insert Name Here]: The player is allowed to choose his name.
- Intelligible Unintelligible: He can only say "Mokyu", but Iroha inexplicably understands him anyway.
- MacGuffin: Iroha looks for him in the first Chapter because she believes he can help explain her dreams. When she touches him she suddenly remembers her sister.
- Pokémon Speak: Sorta. All he can say is "Mokyu".
- Red Herring: Iroha believes that she regains her memories regarding Ui the first time is because she hugged the Kyubey, so she decides that to make Touka and Nemu come to their senses and remember just how corrupt they became, they have to touch him too. It doesn't work, and Kyubey-kicking ensues.
- Super-Deformed: He's basically a super-deformed Kyubey.
- Team Pet: He's basically Iroha's pet.
Tropes applying to the entire team:
- Chromatic Arrangement: Yellow for Momoko, Blue for Rena, Red for Kaede.
- Demoted to Extra: Although their group is important in the first two Chapters, they get less screen time as the story progresses. Another Story is partially about what they're up to during the main plot, and they have a larger role as the story progresses further.
- Honorary True Companion: At the moment. While Iroha is friends with the trio they don't actually join her team as Momoko still doesn't feel comfortable working with Yachiyo. (Naturally, some Gameplay and Story Segregation applies, as the other half of the gimmick is that they're in the game's character gacha right from launch.)
- Gameplay and Story Segregation: Applies a bit more to them than to other gacha characters. Momoko in particular plays a reasonably big role in the early parts of the story before the focus falls more heavily on Iroha's "proper" team, and officially Team Iroha and Team Momoko don't merge because of friction between Momoko and Yachiyo. All three girls, however, are permanently available in the character gacha and were available right from the very start of service. As a result, players are likely to end up with them available on the roster sooner or later (particularly launch-window players on any given regional server) and Momoko and Rena are staples of their respective elements.
- True Companions: The group is very devoted to each other.
One of the initial playable characters, she appears in Chapter 1 as a major ally. One of the veterans in Kamihama City. It is revealed in Chapter 6 that she used to be Yachiyo's teammate along with Tsuruno, Mifuyu, and a deceased girl named Meru until she left a year ago because of a misunderstanding and Meru turning into a witch. Her wish was to summon the courage to confess to her crush, but didn't actually confess because another girl had confessed first.
- All Love Is Unrequited/Be Careful What You Wish For: Her wish was for the courage to confess to the boy she liked. Unfortunately, someone else confessed before she did. Momoko's courage, and the fact that her wish affected herself and not him, presumably keeps her from suffering like Sayaka did.
- Armor-Piercing Attack: Her Connect causes the target's attack to ignore defense.
- Bare Your Midriff: As a magical girl.
- Big Damn Heroes: At the end of Chapter 3, Iroha is forced to fight Mami Tomoe. Momoko then arrives and tells Mami to get lost. Unwilling to escalate, Mami complies.
- BFS: As big as she is tall.
- Cool Big Sis: She's protective of other magical girls.
- Dark Secret: Chapter 6 reveals that she knows where witches come from.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: A curved sword is her weapon of choice.
- Machete Mayhem: That behemoth is actually a Sugar Cane Machete, though it's used for cutting down witches and Rumors instead.
- Only Friend: To Rena, at first.
- Outnumbered Sibling: The middle child of a large family and the only girl.
- Showgirl Skirt: As a magical girl.
- The Smurfette Principle: Has brothers but no sisters.
- Team Mom: She's the mediator to the constantly bickering Rena and Kaede, and she needles Rena about her sugar-filled diet so much that Rena complains that she talks like an old man.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: She's a tomboy that is fond of cute things and knows how to cook.
- Tomboyish Ponytail: A waist-long one.
- We Used to Be Friends: It's shown that she was close to Yachiyo in the past, but in the present they don't get along.. Chapter 6 clarifies they used to be teammates, but Yachiyo drove her off after another teammate became a witch. Momoko and Yachiyo reconcile at the end of the chapter.
A clumsy magical girl who doesnt know how to express herself. Ordinarily, she hides the lack of confidence behind a triumphant attitude, so it is easy to mislead new acquaintances. She also has a sweet tooth. Her hobby is chasing female idols.
One of the initial playable characters, she appears as a minor antagonist in Chapter 2 under the influence of the Break-up Staircase Rumor and a minor character in Christmas 2017 event. Her wish was to have the power to change into a different person, allowing her to alter her appearence at will. Her Doppel, Cendrillon, also has the ability to shapeshift.
- Anger Born of Worry: Her default emotion. Being the resident Tsundere and having a best friend who's not good in a fight are a terrible combination.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: In Chapter 2 after she's captured by the Rumor of the Breakup Staircase.
- Ditto Fighter: In the Last Magia, it is revealed that when Rena is sufficiently familiar with a magical girl, she can even use their personal magic when disguising as them, as seen when she transforms into Kaede and use her vine control to help the real Kaede restraining Walpurgisnacht.
- Emotionally Tongue-Tied: Even when not under the influence of a Rumor, Rena cannot express herself effectively.
- Fairytale Motifs: Her witch's name is the French version of Cinderella. It takes the form of a glass slipper.
- Flaw Exploitation: Rena constantly pick fights with her friends due to her Tsundere nature... which makes her an easy target for a Rumor that takes effect when you say a friendship is over.
- Friendless Background: Rena wasn't good with people to begin with, and her classmates misinterpreted her shy silence as contempt. To make matters worse, her family moved around a lot when she was young, so this happened over and over and over until she gave up on friendship entirely.
- Get a Hold of Yourself, Man!: After Momoko's attempt to cheer Kaede up after she finds out about the magical girls system doesn't really show result, Rena steps in to do so... by inciting a catfight between Kaede and herself. It works, as it shows that Kaede still has that fire in her.
- Green-Eyed Monster: In her side story, when Momoko, Rena's only friend, becomes friends with Kaede.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: She really doesn't like herself and her wish was to be able to change her appearance.
- Imposter Forgot One Detail: Her shapeshifting power is top-notch... if Rena knows the person she's turning into. Her transformation is usually tainted by her own perception of that person, so much that she can botch her own disguise by acting out of character of the person she'd disguised as. Since she's also very judgmental and stubborn, she won't change her perceptions easily. The end result is a shapeshifter who's bad at shapeshifting.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: She tends to hide her lack of confidence behind a more triumphant attitude.
- Master of Disguise: Thanks to her wish, she change her appearance to match other people's, though she can be given away by not mirroring specific quirks.
- Prongs of Poseidon: Her weapon is a trident, though it's somewhat different from Yachiyo's. As an added reference, her Magia is named "Infinite Poseidon."
- Sour Outside, Sad Inside: Under that proud facade is a lonely, scared girl who constantly insults herself.
- Sweet Tooth: Has a fondness for sweets, and puts so much sugar in her tea that Momoko worries she'll get diabetes.
- Third-Person Person: Rena talks like this.
- Tsundere: Rena's pride, hot temper and inability to be honest with her feelings actually get her in trouble with the Rumor of the Breakup Staircase.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Kaede. As much as they bicker, Rena doesn't want to lose her.
- Water Is Blue: Like Yachiyo, she's an Aqua element girl with blue hair and a mostly blue outfit.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade B as a magical girl, with the attitude and twintails required for Grade S.
- Base rarity: 3*
Magia: Judgement Earth
Illustrated by: Ume Aoki
Voiced by: Ayaka Ōhashi
A very shy, always worrying magical girl. However, shes nice, cares about her friends, and will face difficulties for the sake of her team members. Loves nature, such as plants and insects, and at home, she works hard in her garden. Her hobby is crane games, even though shes not good at them.
One of the initial playable characters, she appears in Chapter 1 as an NPC before returning as a minor antagonist in Chapter 2 under the influence of the Break-up Staircase Rumor. Her wish was that an apartment building across from her garden would never be built, because it would have blocked the sunlight from reaching her garden.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: In Chapter 2 after she's captured by the Rumor of the Breakup Staircase.
- Cowardly Lion: Not exactly the most brave person but it doesn't stop her when it comes to friends.
- Field Power Effect: Her Magia makes targets even more prone to their elemental weakness.
- Genius Loci: It is implied from the description that Zola, should Kaede turns into a witch, is both a witch and a witch barrier.
- Green Thumb: She loves gardening at home, and her powers seem to create plants.
- Heroic BSoD: Between her and Rena, she takes the truth of the magical girl system the hardest. While Rena cries like she had never cried before, Kaede withdraws to herself to the point of Momoka saying that she will keep Kaede company whenever wherever she wants, even if she has to break into Kaede's house at night to do so.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: A trait she and Rena have in common, though Kaede is more open about it.
- Magic Staff: Uses it to summon plants to attack enemies with.
- Nature Lover: To the point that she wishes for a building to never be built, as it would hinder her home garden's growth.
- Nervous Wreck: The stress of being a magical girl and dealing with Rena have not been good for Kaede.
- Nice Girl: She's quite friendly towards other people.
- Nice Hat: Has one as a magical girl, though she doesn't wear it.
- Power Glows: As a 5-star, her staff has a green glow on the top, where it curves.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Rena, as mentioned above.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade B as a magical girl.
Iroha Tamaki(Swimsuit ver.)
- Base rarity: 4* (event limited)
Magia: The Way I Swim
Illustrated by: Itokuni (4*), Punyan (5*)
Voiced by: Momo Asakura
An alternate version of Iroha introduced during a 2018 Summer event.
- Emotional Powers: The fact that Iroha can use Giovanna in this version when she couldn't yet in the main story is explained as Iroha in the middle of her summer festivity is bolder toward her "other self" than otherwise, while Giovanna, being a Shrinking Violet that she is, is carried away by Iroha's wishes.
- Fighting Clown: Her weapon is basically a razor sharp hula-hoop. Also, her doppel has a pirate ship sail.
- Forgot About His Powers: Iroha technically can swim, but because she was once drown, she's too afraid to swim without the inner tube. But when Rena drowns, Iroha without much thought jumps in the water and save her. Only after that act that she remembers that she's suppose to afraid of water, and proceeds to drown herself.
- Improbable Weapon User: She uses a Kyubey-themed inner tube as a weapon.
- Making a Splash: All of her attacks use water in some fashion. In her doppel, she literally attacks by jumping from a great height and splashing into water.
- Rings of Death: The inner-tube creates a razor sharp ring of water. Iroha basically tuns herself into a walking buzzsaw.
- Temporary Online Content: Exclusive to the Summer's event gacha.
- Base rarity: 4* (event limited)
Magia: Wish Upon a Star/I Will Show You the Power of a 5 Star!
Illustrated by: PAPA
Voiced by: Momo Asakura
Magia Report version of Iroha introduced during the 2019 April Fools' Day Event.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: She hopes to get a Doppel by using Hinano's elixir, only to grow several feets tall instead, much to her charging.
- Audience Surrogate: Of Magia Record's players.
- Butt-Monkey: She is one for Madoka-senpai.
- Continuity Porn: Likes Madoka-senpai, nearly all of her in-game animations and voice lines reference things from Magia Report.
- Covert Pervert: In one strip, she already checked every frames of her transformation scene.
- Hopeless with Tech: She doesn't know how to use a desktop.
- Sempai Kouhai: The magical girl junior of Madoka-senpai.
- Straight Man: Recently, she acts as this toward Madoka-senpai.
- Temporary Online Content: Exclusive to the Magia Report's event gacha.
- Base rarity: 3* (event limited)
Magia: BITE! BITE! BITE!
Illustrated by: PAPA
Voiced by: Ayane Sakura
Magia Report version of Felicia introduced during the 2019 April Fools' Day Event.
- Continuity Porn: Likes other Magia Report characters, her in-game animations and voice lines reference things from the comic.
- Cuteness Proximity: She invokes this in Magia Report version of Yachiyo.
- Extreme Omnivore: She eats pretty much anything.
- Temporary Online Content: Exclusive to the Magia Report's event gacha.