Mikhail "Michael/Michel" Blanc
- Voiced by: Hiroshi Kamiya
Alto's high school classmate and friendly rival, Mikhail's one of his closest friends who knew of Alto's reputation as a kabuki actor. Outside of school, he's an excellent marksman and the designated sniper of Skull Squadron with callsign "Skull-2" with the rank of Second Lieutenant, piloting a blue VF-25G Messiah (gunner/sniper variant). Mikhail's motto is to always acquire his targets, be it an enemy or a woman, which maintains his reputation as a considerable ladies' man. He initially expresses doubt over Alto joining the S.M.S., stating he's using it as an excuse to further retreat from his family. In normal attire, he wears corrective glasses, but dishes them once in combat. Notably, Mikhail's ears are pointed, although whether this is a simple genetic quirk or the result of some degree of Zentradi lineage is never explained.
Mikhail's parents died when he was a child, leaving him with his older sister Jessica, who served in the military, and Zentran childhood friend Klan Klang. Unfortunately, Jessica commits suicide after an investigation and court-martial, whereupon she's accused of shooting her superior officer (and her lover) during combat. Ultimately, he joins the S.M.S. to investigate whether his sister's suicide was justified.
- Big Damn Heroes: Episode 12 and 13
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Klan.
- Commitment Issues: He doesn't want to begin a serious relationship with anyone because it's possible he could die in battle the very next day.
- Death By Genre Savvy: You just had to poke the fourth wall one too many times, didn't you, Mikhail?
- Friendly Sniper: With loads of Deadpan Snarker.
- Handsome Lech: Generally seen chasing girls in his down-time, never getting serious with any of them before moving on to a new one.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Apparently part-Zentraedi and/or Zolan, depending on what source you're looking at.
- Heroic Resolve: Saves Klan before and after being Impaled with Extreme Prejudice.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Go with God in all the dark places you may walk, Michael Blanc. Klan will not forget your sacrifice.
- The Nicknamer: Is the one who came up with "Alto-hime".
- Shipper on Deck: Is an Alto x Sheryl shipper.
- Spared by the Adaptation: In the movies, though the first one does give the audience a scare.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Klan.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Klan.
- Voiced by: Jun Fukuyama
Alto and Michael's junior classmate, Luca's often frustrated his seniors give him a hard time, even though they're studying in the same classes. He's a genius with computers and military electronics, as well as serving in the S.M.S. Skull Squadron as "Skull-3". Luca pilots a green RVF-25 Messiah (reconnaissance version), but he's customized it to have three AIF-7S (QF-4000) Ghosts (hich he calls Shimon, Johanne and Petero, or simply Simon, John and Peter) that respond to his verbal commands and support him. His penchant for naming objects with Biblical names extends to his EX-Gear, which he dubs "Samson". He's also the heir to the L.A.I. corporation, a manufacturing company for the military, with near unlimited access to exotic, prototype technologies. Throughout Macross Frontier, it's strongly hinted he has a crush on his classmate Nanase Matsuura.
- All There in the Manual: Has an older sister, but you won't know that unless you read up on it through supplementary materials for the movies. Especially when you see a picture of a young Luca with his sister and Mishima.
- Attack Drones: Unlike the rest of Skull Squadron, Luca relegates to information gathering and heavily relies on his three Ghost drones to do the fighting. This is fully displayed in the Final Battle, where he unleashes the program limiters in his Messiah, granting the drones independence from his commands.
- Covert Pervert: His first thought at Sheryl proclaiming Alto's her slave for the day when she comes to Mihoshi Academy? BDSM.
- Dude, She's Like, in a Coma!: Gives an innocent kiss to an unconscious Nanase at the hosptial before heading out to the Final Battle.
- Sempai/Kohai: Kohai to Alto and Mikhail.
- Teen Genius: His tech achievements are the main reason why Frontier manages to last until the finale.
- Voiced by: Houko Kuwashima
Another classmate of Alto, Michael and Luca, Nanase Matsuura is also Ranka Lee's best friend. A shy, quiet and voluptuous girl with glasses, she also works in the same "Nyan-Nyan" restaurant as Ranka and supports her dream of becoming a singer. Nanase's a skilled artist and was hired by Grace to become Ranka's costume designer.
- Curtains Match the Window: Has purple hair and Purple Eyes
- Gainaxing: Given her size, it would be a little strange if this wasn't happening to her.
- Hypocritical Humor: Unintentional; she tries to encourage Ranka that "breast size isn't everything" when Ranka competes in the Miss Macross contest...despite the fact she's one of the most stacked characters in the show, proportionally. The camera angle adds to the effect.
- Meganekko: Cute glasses at that.
- Nice Girl: Nothing but supportive to others.
- Oblivious to Love: Or at least doesn't notice Luca's crush on her.
- Purple Eyes
- Shipper on Deck: Ships Ranka with Alto.
Strategic Military Services
- Voiced by: Katsuyuki Konishi
The top ace in the S.M.S. and leader of Skull Squadron, designated "Skull-1", Ozma holds the rank of Major and is an experienced former New UN Spacy (N.U.N.S.) pilot, currently using a VF-25S Messiah. He's an avid fan of Fire Bomber and often plays their songs in his car or at home, even naming some of Skull Squadron's battle formations after their songs (i.e. "Planet Dance" and "Totsugeki Love Heart"). Although laid-back and careless on the outside, he knows when to be serious, and believes the real duty of a soldier is to care for his subordinates and civilians. He's somewhat overprotective of his younger sister Ranka, and lies to her about his work so she won't have to worry about him, telling her he has a desk job in a company's personnel department.
Ozma is non biologically Ranka's brother; in fact, he adopts her following the tragic attack by the Vajra on the 117th Large Scale Research Fleet 11 years before the story begins. He constantly blames himself for failing to protect the fleet and Ranka's family. To end, he willingly takes her in and ensures the same won't happen to her again, even if it means he must take the bullet to do so. Years prior, he pursued a romantic relationship with N.U.N.S 2nd Lieutenant Catherine Glass, but broke it off, which makes their current working relationship aboard the Macross Quarter a little tense at times.
- Ace Pilot: He's generally shown as a better pilot that Alto, and in supplementary materials has even put up a fight against Isamu Dyson, though he didn't win.
- Badass Creed: "Sorry, but I'm not an adult: I AM A MAN!" (No punches).
- Big Brother Instinct: Adopted Ranka and filled the role of an older brother, due to feeling guilty for not saving her family. He does let go once he figures Ranka's old enough to decide and accept on her choices, even if it means running away from the Frontier fleet.
- Big Damn Heroes: Ozma practically lives on this trope.
- Cool Car: His Lancia Delta Integrale; it also bears the same color pattern and skull logo that's on his VF-25S.
- Death by Irony: He's about to start a relationship with Catherine Glass again, he's in a near-impossible fight against a Vajra, and his cockpit is apparently holed. Oh yes, and a pineapple-based dessert is thrown in for good measure. He SURVIVES!
- Even the Guys Want Him
- It's All My Fault: He blames himself for being unable to save Ranka's family, though an impartial observer would probably say he did very well saving anyone at all from that debacle (he and Ranka were among a tiny handful of survivors out of the entire colony).
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Most of the time he's being a jerk to either knock some sense into Alto's thick skull, or because he's being overprotective of Ranka.
- Made of Iron: Ozma's immune to the curse of the pineapple cake.
- Nose Art: The traditional skull of Skull Squadron painted on top of his VF-25. And his car as a matter of fact.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: To Brera in episode 17; bonus points for ejecting his Messiah's Armored Pack and gutting a Vajra with its knife to prove his point.
- Voiced by: Megumi Toyoguchi
A blue-haired Zentradi female (Meltrandi) in command of the all-female S.M.S. Pixie Squadron, Klan holds the rank of captain, piloting a red Queadlunn-Rea. As the childhood friend of Mikhail Blanc, she's harbored a life-long crush on him that does not get reciprocated, most likely due to a certain genetic anomaly, as she appears her age as a fully-developed Meltrandi while macronized, but becomes physically a juvenile in her micronian form. This makes her the perfect target for Mikhail's mockery.
- Badass Adorable: Badass when macronized, Adorable when micronized.
- Boobs of Steel: Ironically, even in her macronized form, Klan does not have the largest bust size by proportion; that goes to Nanase.
- The Captain: Of her own squadron, putting her on the same level as Ozma.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Mikhail, even though he does his best to deny it.
- Deconstruction: A rather savage one of the Token Mini-Moe trope, showing how her being that trope gets in the way of her having a relationship with Mikhail.
- Meaningful Name: Klein is Dutch for small.
- Powered Armour: Two of them: the first is her regular Queadlunn-Rea, while the second is strapping herself with a variable fighter's jet engines, missile pods and gatling gun, turning into "Armored Klan", during the Vajra attack inside the fleet.
- Hilariously, the latter one is a potential allied craft in the Macross Frontier PSP games. Yes, Your ally is a Meltrandi in power armor.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Following Mikhail's death, she goes to town on the Vajra.
- Shipper on Deck: Alongside Mikhail, Klan shares his opinion in regards to Alto's Love Triangle. But like Mikhail this will favour Sheryl than Ranka.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Hoo boy... there are probably several dozen ways one can romanize "クラン クラン". "Klan Klein" or "Klan Klan" seem to be the most common.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Mikhail.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Mikhail.
Nene Rora & Raramia Reremia
- Nene is voiced by: Aya HiranoRaramia is voiced by: Kana Oomuraa
Those two Meltlandi who are usually with Klan, Nene's the tall (by Zentradi standards) pink-haired girl and Raramia the redhead. Together, they are part of the all-female S.M.S. Pixie Squadron. While Nene's calm, gentle and kind, Raramia has a rather intense gaze and very Bifauxnen.
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: Raramia.
- Onee-sama: Nene addresses Klan this way.
- The Quiet One: Both, actually, due to their lack of screentime.
- The Voiceless: Specifically Raramia.
- Redshirt: Raramia. She gets Killed Off for Real after a random, direct hit in battle against the Vajra. She's practically more redder than Henry Gilliam, since he had a voice actor, and Raramia never uttered a single line.
- Voiced by: Houko Kuwashima
A 1st Lieutenant in the S.M.S. and the pilot of Skull Squadron's VB-6 König Monster variable bomber, Canaria also serves as the S.M.S.'s military medic. Although she rarely speaks, Canaria offers advice with great weight, often. She's the only character who's married and has a young son named Eddie.
- Action Mom: Being a mother certainly doesn't slow her down when nuking the enemy.
- BFG: König Monster has 4 of them on its back.
- Boobs of Steel: Piloting the König Monster gives her more firepower than the rest of the squadron combined, and she uses it well.
- Combat Medic: Taken Up to Eleven, who's skilled in medicine and an exceptional pilot of the very aptly named König Monster.
- Fluffy the Terrible: Her callsign is "Rabbit 1".
- More Dakka: König Monster. Aside from the cannons, it has 2 sets of 4 missile launchers on each arm.
- Nose Art: Paints the Monster with pinups of Sheryl and Ranka.
- Voiced by: Kenta Miyake
The highly skilled helmsman of the Macross Quarter, Bobby appears stern, but he states he's "just like a girl inside". Prior to serving the S.M.S., he was a hair stylist and make-up artist, and was known in its circle as a legend. Bobby's well-liked by the female crew members for his good understanding of others, due to his very open homosexuality and not-so subtle feelings for good friend Ozma, though he claims to be "way beyond the point in life where [he] needs [his] love to be reciprocated". Bobby tends to constantly criticize the N.U.N.S.'s actions on a regular basis, and while very feminine, calm and soft-spoken during times of peace, he will delve into a serious, daring and aggressive attitude during combat. Like Ozma, Bobby's also considered a fan of Basara Nekki, as he refers to him as "Basara-sama".
- Agent Peacock: He's quite open about his leanings. Doesn't slow him down one bit.
- Badass Gay: Somewhat surprising given his usual behavior, but when the chips are down, the gloves come off!
- Bridge Bunny: Since Bobby is...
- Camp Gay: Enough to count for the above trope.
- Game Face: Normally has a soft expression to go with his Camp Gay-ness, but when it's time for business on the Quarter, he starts to go...
- Hot-Blooded: HOLY FUCKING SHIT!
- Rated M for Manly: Whenever he controls the combat mode of the Macross Quarter.
Monica Lange, Mina Roshan & Ram Hoa
The three female bridge operators of the Macross Quarter, Monica's in charge of the Quarter's main search radar and chief operator, while Mina's responsible for internal warship status management and Ram's responsibilities include communications and main weapons control.
- Bridge Bunnies: Continuing the grand tradition of the Macross franchise.
- Control Freak: Ram...maybe: she's a person of not too many words, but she tends to classify everything that she comes into contact with on a regular basis.
- Only Sane Woman: Compared to Mina and Ram, Monica takes a more serious stance in her duties.
- Teen Genius: Mina has an IQ of 180, but has trouble adjusting to the pace of her operating buddies.
- Token Minority: According to the official site, Mina is of Indian ancestry.
- Voiced by: Toru Okawa
Captain of the Macross Quarter and de facto field commander of the S.M.S., Jeffrey ranks as a colonel and was originally a pilot in a UN Forces aircraft carrier early during his career. A seasoned veteran, he has a horizontal scar across his face as proof of his previous combat experience. Though a very polite officer, he can become highly mischievous when the situation requires it.
- The Captain: Of the Macross Quarter, and overall commander of the SMS aboard the Frontier Fleet.
- Chekhov's Gun: In Sayonara no Tsubasa his surfing hobby comes back in a BIG way.
- Cool Old Guy: Surfs, smokes, and will betray his superiors for the right cause.
- Dirty Old Man: He makes some moves on Monica, and she doesn't seem to mind.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Has one very noticeable scar on his nose.
- Good Smoking, Evil Smoking: Is occasionally seen smoking from an old wooden pipe.
- Voiced by: Tomomichi Nishimura
The fourth elected president of the New United Nations Government and also the administrative director of the Macross Frontier fleet, President Glass's administration was responsible for the creation of the Frontier colonial fleet. As president, he shoulders all political decisions to ensure the security and well-being of his citizens. He is also Cathy's father.
- Badass Moustache: Unfortunately, points are taken off because he's considered...
- Dumb Is Good: Too naive regarding the Vajra and the threat they're considered.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: He tries very hard to be this.
- Voiced by: Sanae Kobayashi
A N.U.N.S. General Staff 2nd Lieutenant attached to the S.M.S. Macross Quarter, Catherine's also President Howard Glass's daughter. Both beautiful and intelligent, Catherine was a former Miss Macross winner, and later went on to serve on the judging panel in the 2059 contest Ranka participates in. After having graduated from university with honors, she joined N.U.N.S and is fast-tracked into the elite. Though a very competent officer, she sometimes lacks flexibility. She has a relationship with Leon Mishima without her father's knowledge and was formerly in a relationship with Ozma before that, until they broke it off under mutual circumstances.
- Christmas Cake: And mentioning it will get you laps around the SMS base in an EX-Gear.
- Expy: She shares a lot of qualities with Claudia LaSalle and Misa Hiyase.
- Nice Girl: Despite at times rubbing wrong with the SMS team and their unorthodox fighting style, she's polite and more than willing to work together.
- Tsundere: Type B towards Ozma.
- Voiced by: Tomokazu Sugita
President's aide and Chief of Staff, Leon's a very calm and composed man, and Glass's closest associate and confidante. He's a constant source of all political trends throughout the Frontier fleet, and is in a secret relationship with Catherine.
As it turns out, he's part of the conspiracy behind the Frontier and Galaxy Fleets, and is heavily involved in the Vajra war from the beginning.
- Even Evil Has Standards: After finding out about how twisted Grace truly was, he was having none of it.
- Evil Chancellor: Not much of a surprise, considering the numerous Traitor Shots on him from the beginning of the series.
- Obviously Evil: Yeah... shifty eyes, talking of peoples as if they were tools, incredibly smug? His anime Pageboy cut doesn't do a thing to make him look less like a villain.
- Professionals Do It on Desks: Implied this is an early episode with Cathy.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Even when he usurped the government, he genuinely tried to fight the Vajra with all he had.
- Smug Snake: Very smug, but even more so in The Movies.
- Unwitting Pawn: Ultimately, he's just a pawn in Grace's and the Galaxy's schemes, no matter how in control he thought he was.