open/close all folders
Voiced by: Alejandro Saab
- Chivalrous Pervert: The squire is not exactly subtle about his desire to no longer be a virgin, but he's also serious about helping people out as a squire, and as the story goes on he becomes a source of support to Hugh and to the woman he seeks a relationship with.
- Dark and Troubled Past: The squire himself wasn't able to do anything when bandits raided his village and killed his biological parents, which is how he got adopted by Amelia and her father. Part of why he wants to become a knight someday is so he'll never be that helpless again, and he can protect people in the future.
- Draw Aggro: When you use the "Taunt" command, enemies will spend a turn attacking the squire instead of Hugh.
- Fragile Speedster: The squire is this in comparison to Hugh. He can't directly attack enemies and he doesn't have as much HP, but he's also much faster than Hugh or the enemies are; if you choose any action except Cheer, the squire will always go first.
- Hello, [Insert Name Here]: You input a name for the squire at the beginning of a new game, but while the text will read the name, the character voices will address the protagonist as "Squire".
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: At first, the story pokes fun at the squire for just being "the support" to Hugh's heroism. But as the story goes on, it becomes clear that the squire's support actually helps Hugh a lot, and in a lot of the romance arcs, the woman goes through a really tough time, and the squire's support allows him to become a source of strength for her.
- Iron Butt Monkey: The squire goes through a lot of abuse, both in expeditions and in story, just to fulfill his duties.
- I Shall Taunt You: If the squire wants enemies to attack him instead of Hugh during a turn, he can use the "Taunt" command to first stick out his tongue and then slap his rear as he moons the enemies.
- The Protagonist: The viewpoint character, whose goal is to become a worthy knight (and to seek a romantic relationship).
- Took a Level in Badass: The protagonist's goal is to do this, and he can succeed if you train his stats high enough.
- Troll: Sometimes if the squire uses the "Taunt" command, Hugh will tell the squire to "stop trolling!"
Voiced by: Steven KellyThe knight you serve.
- Chivalrous Pervert: He is close friends to Pops, the Squire's adopted father, and while he has a bad rep of being a womanizer, he is still a high ranking logistics officer and pushes the squire to take his duties seriously.
- Mighty Glacier: Hugh is very strong. However, he's also slow; he always goes last in battles, after both the squire and the enemies have taken their turns. This is partially why the squire's support is so important, as without the squire, Hugh would eventually become overwhelmed by enemies.
Amelie 'Amy' Boden
Voiced by: Megan Shipman
- Cloudcuckoolander: She talks to vegetables to make them grow, and has many conspiracy theories. For example, she believes the gem on Kamala's foreheads fires lasers. Amy is definitely the squire's sister.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Amy is normally a bright and cheery girl, but in part she's putting on a brave face and smiling all the time since she thinks it'll make her more like her deceased mother, who died of an illness. Then to make matters even worse, if you play Amelia's route, Kamala eventually reveals that the "medicine" Amelia's mother thought she was taking was actually poison, so her mother didn't actually die of an illness after all; she was murdered.
- Farmer's Daughter
- Mad Lips Catchphrase: Whenever Amy insists that she or someone else has a specific skill set, she ends on "born and raised".
- Not Blood Siblings
Voiced by: Natalie Hoover
- Dark and Troubled Past: She was captured by bandits as a child along with the former Knight Surgeon Donis. The bandits tortured Donis into creating the Drowser drug and then made him teach Giselle how to make the drug as well, torturing her into going along with it, so in the present day, the reason Giselle is on a quest to create a cure for the drug is out of guilt at having made the drug in the first place.
- Hello, Nurse!
- The Teetotaler: Giselle doesn't drink anything alcoholic, and thus will never visit the tavern (though in one scene you still get an affection boost if you offer her a drink, even though she refuses). In a later scene, when Donis is offering to take the squire and Giselle out for drinks in the future, Giselle says "Apple cider for me!"
Voiced by: Kira Buckland
- Berserk Button: Bordemer, or more specifically dismissing it. Though she dislikes the idea of blaming Alkos for it, Alkosi making light of it will very quickly make her lose her temper.
- Cute Bruiser: Could quite possibly be the strongest character in the game (and explicitly is when armored up) and, after you get past her persona, is sensitive, soft hearted and cute as a button.
- Emotional Bruiser: Vel tries her best, but she cries at the drop of a hat, has a red hot temper, is easily embarrassed, is affectionate to her friends and wears her emotional conflict on her sleeve.
- Dark and Troubled Past: She was a resident of a small village named Bordemer, and one day she helped out some shipwrecked merchants by pointing them to her village. They turned out to be pirates that then proceeded to repay her kindness by wiping out Bordemer, and Vel has blamed herself ever since, so she's working towards Matilda the spirit's desire for revenge and imitating Matilda's idea of strength as a way of coping with her guilt.
- Demonic Possession: Matilda normally simply possesses Vel's armor, but increasingly starts to possess her too as the game goes on. This leads to uncharacteristic explosions of anger and violence, and Vel is warned that spirits like Matilda can easily go bad. Though Vel wrestles with whether or not to forcefully exorcise her, Matilda eventually decides on her own to pass on peacefully.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: Vel Scharfe, one of your possible love interests, likes to hang out in the tavern, drink ale, and pick fights. Then this is subverted when it turns out Vel secretly has a sensitive personality and actually hates drinking; she only acts like this trope because she thinks it will make her more like Matilda, the spirit who trained Vel in combat.
- It Was with You All Along: Vel is reluctant to take credit for Sir Grand's achievements, and at her most self doubting ascribes all her alter ego's strength to Matilda. Matilda's last words are to dismiss this, stating that she only got Vel started and it was her strength, kindness and good heart that made Sir Grand the hero she was.
- Letting Her Hair Down: Vel gets this in her ending.
- Martial Pacifist: Surprisingly. Vel notes on several occasions that though she enjoys having the strength to protect others, she doesn't enjoy hurting people.
- The Rival: Briefly with the Squire, though it's rather one sided and Vel clearly isn't that into it.
Beatrice Du Cae
Voiced by: Amanda Lee
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: She comes across as mean and critical, but her heart is always in the right place.
- Insufferable Genius: Tends to think very highly of herself.
- Ojou Ringlets: Beatrice has these. Calling them fake is a bit of a Berserk Button.
- Princess Classic: In-universe she hates this trope. She believes that a proper princess should aspire to be a queen to lead the people, and that singing and talking to animals is not helpful at all.
Voiced by: Melody Muze
- Dark and Troubled Past: The Princess grew up in a family with sexist views that expects little of women. Her younger brother is a Spoiled Brat but will still inherit the throne since he's male, and her father thinks her plans for diplomacy are foolish. This has caused Kamala to develop a hidden temper that isn't displayed if you're not playing her route.
- Spoiled Sweet: Kamala is a legitimately nice person, though this often rubs people the wrong way given how obviously privileged she is.
- Stupid Good: Though her heart's in the right place Kamala has a very poor sense of self preservation at times, and will often run into danger and attempt to talk down armed and vengeful individuals despite having next to no martial training to defend herself.
Voiced by: Jesse Cox