Tropes for Lorecraft Academy's characters.
Sara is an extremely energetic girl, eager to grasp any opportunity that arises. She's very keen on making friends, and is willing to go to incredible lengths to do what she thinks is right for them. She is very cheery and optimistic.
Her Resonance is the ability to unlock a stronger power within her, which changes her hair and eye color.
Her fighting style revolves around her experience in gymnastics, accompanied by Fire magic. When she is in Super Saiyan form, she uses the other three forms of magic that she practices: Wind, Earth and Nature.
- Adorkable: Her page quote is just one of many pieces of evidence of this trope.
- Affectionate Nickname: Really likes to refer to her Resonance as "going Super Saiyan".
- The Baby of the Bunch: While Natalie is younger than her, she is still the second youngest of the group and is the most child-like and naive.
- Badass Adorable: Would you expect someone this cute to be capable of ass-kicking?
- Berserk Button: Hurting her friends or even innocent people when she's nearby is generally not a good idea.
- Snarky comments can cause her to label you a meanie.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet, but when she's forced into Super Saiyan, you can bet that an ass-kicking will follow quickly after.
- Big "NO!": Lets one out when she sees Natalie jump off a bridge, trying to commit suicide.
- Blood Knight: Downplayed. While she's not one to actively look for fights, she definitely doesn't avoid them.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Is quirky, but when she goes Super Saiyan, she'll beat you to hell and back.
- Butt-Monkey: Receives most of the snark Lewis dishes out.
- Calling Your Attacks: Does this a ton. Rapid Spin, Hellfire Grenade and Blaze Kick are just a few examples.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Has given more than one of these, usually after activating her Resonance.
- Has been on the receiving end once.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Her early childhood was not kind to her, constantly getting bullied, to the point where she assumed people wouldn't ever do otherwise. It wasn't until some classmates started being nice to her that she changed into the cheery and friendly girl we know her as.
- Determinator: When she's set on something, she'll see it through no matter what.
- Everything's Better with Spinning: Her Rapid Spin attack.
- Idiot Hero: Not the most clever member of the cast.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Often acts before thinking.
- Reality Ensues when she does it against Umiko at the Sacred Sanctum and is almost killed.
- Naïve Everygirl: Sara fits this trope to a T.
- The Nicknamer: Tends to shorten names that have more than two syllables.
- She often calls Jocelyn "Joss".
- Similalry, she calls Natalie "Nat".
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: Lampshaded by Lewis when she thinks Natalie is actively avoiding her.Sara: I'm just... gonna hang out in my room for a li'l bit. I'll see y'all later.
[Leaves the food court]
Lewis: ...I think that's the most upset I've seen her.
- Personality Powers: Prefers to use Fire Magic, and is quite energetic, passionate and exciteable.
- Lampshaded by Lewis.Sara: If there's one type of magic I'm good at, it's Fire!
Lewis: How fitting...
- Lampshaded by Lewis.
- Playing with Fire: Her preferred type of magic.
- Power Dyes Your Hair: And not just her hair, her eye color also changes upon activating her Resonance.
- Positive Friend Influence: Was arguably the biggest factor in getting Natalie to open up.
- Post-Victory Collapse: Has happened to her a couple times after ending a fight after having gone Super Saiyan.
- Shout-Out: Her last name is a reference to the play Madame Butterfly.
- Super Mode: Her Resonance is this.
Lewis is a cold and distant character, preferring to keep his distance from others. He is an analytic and calm person, as opposed to Sara's more fiery and peppy personality. While he saw Sara as a nuisance when first meeting her, the two eventually warmed up to each other, to the point of Lewis trusting Sara as an advisor.
Lewis's Resonance is currently unknown, as he has yet to use it in combat.
His fighting style often involves keeping his foes at a safe distance, either grappling them with his chain and swinging them around or striking their body with the chain. If he finds himself in a tough situation, or just wants to end a battle with style, he activates his Time magic and lands an insane amount of blows while his opponent is unaware.
- Animal Motifs: Rabbits, natch.
- Blood Knight: A downplayed version compared to Sara and Carol, but Lewis rarely backs down from a challenge, and admits that wandering the forest without fighting anything notable was boring to him
- Chain Pain: His weapon of choice is the deceptively long chain he has on his watch.
- Combat Pragmatist: While he isn't afraid to get his hands dirty, Lewis prefers to take out his opponents as soon as possible with his Time Stop, and blind opponents with his Light magic to get in cheap shots.
- Dark and Troubled Past: As a child, his home was invaded by an anti-Anima organization. His father, March Finnegan, held them off as much as he could, but was forced to surrender as Lewis was taken hostage. Then, young Lewis saw his own parents beaten black and blue, his father dying of his wounds, and his mother driven to insanity.
- Deadpan Snarker: As his page quote shows, he is of the most sarcastic members of the cast.
- Expy: Of both Weiss Schnee and Blake Belladonna from RWBY. Like Weiss, he's a white-haired member of a rich family that serves as the sarcastic Lancer of the group. Like Blake, he suffers from racial bias, and he hides his ears under a head decoration of some sort.
- Finger Gun: His main pose when using his light-based attacks.
- Foil: Is one to Sara. Sara is energetic, not too bright, and likes to settle things fist to fist. Lewis is cold, intelligent, and prefers to fight from a distance. Naturally, the two butt heads often.
- In a Single Bound: Can clear large heights with ease thanks to his Anima biology. He used this to clear the obstacle course of Stage 3 of the Talent Showdown Criteria Event.
- Insufferable Genius: Is one of the smarter members of the cast and proud of it. Most noticeable when he flashes a smug smirk to the girls when he's the first to finish the exams.
- The Lancer/The Leader: Switches between these positions with Sara. While Sara is more prominent and likely to take action, Lewis prefers to hang back and observe. On the other hand, Lewis is the one that was made leader of the team in the Talent Showdown Arc, with Sara providing the majority of the emotional support.
- Light 'em Up: His main projectile attack is firing light from his fingers, much like Yusuke from YuYu Hakusho does with his Finger Gun technique.
- Little Bit Beastly: Is half-Anima, sporting a pair of white rabbit ears, though he usually hides them under his hat.
- Nice Hat: A newsies-style flat cap. Helps to hide his Anima rabbit ears.
- Not So Above It All: While he likes to come across as the most mature of the bunch, he's just as likely to get involved in the gang's silliness when it comes down to it.
- Shout-Out: Much like Carol, his name is a reference to the author Lewis Caroll, but his character design is a bigger one to the White Rabbit, being obsessed with time, well-dressed, and being a white rabbit Anima. Also, whenever he stops time, the sound effect for ZA WARUDO is heard.
- Super Senses: He has an acute sense of hearing, thanks to his large furry ears.
- The Smurfette Principle: Inverted, main cast-wise, until Proto joined them.
- Time Stands Still: His main ability. He even says the quote!
- Waistcoat of Style: Completes the 'White Rabbit' Ensemble.
Jocelyn Meria Vitren
Jocelyn is a quiet, socially awkward girl, who transferred from Kings and Queens to Lorecraft Academy during the school year. She's often seen using her telepathy with those who she does not fully trust. However, get to know her, and she will talk verbally instead. She is quite brilliant, knowing how to outsmart many a foe. She is secretly the crown princess, but does not reveal this to the public at Lorecraft Academy for her own safety. She owns an ancient, multi-weaponized harp with a blade on its edge called the Arkenzantonial
Her Resonance is telepathy. She can use it on one person very comfortably, or on a group of people, albeit a bit strained.
Her fighting style is dependent on what she uses from her harp. Her normal form is pure defensive and support, due to her fear of hurting humans, creating icy barriers to prevent foes from coming forth, dodging any ways possible, by speed or air maneuvers, and healing magic. Her Braveheart form, in which she discovers to have later on in the story, allows her to go full offensive, with the ability of running at supersonic speeds. This form weakens as she is hit, but luckily, the speed makes her incredibly hard to get the first hit on. This form also induces bravery, so she is not afraid to fight.
- An Ice Person: Mainly uses the icy lance form of her personal weapon
- Afraid of Their Own Strength: Jocelyn is a character that has a fear of fighting other humans. She is afraid to hurt others, despite the fact she won't be doing so.
- Berserk Button: The last thing you ever want to do is interrupt her when she is within a shield and playing her Arkenzantonial to relax herself. Unless you're a decently average fighter that is.
- Consummate Liar: Jocelyn never uses this to intentionally harm others, but she can pull off many a lie and get away with every single one. She's developed herself to be so convincing with lying, that its near impossible to tell the truth. She's mainly used this to help out her friends, or to prevent them from worrying about her.
- Dark and Troubled Past: In her past, she witnessed her brother committing suicide right in front of her very eyes. She was scarred for life that day, and worse yet, her parents decided to place a statue of the specific moment rather then a statue of Karden in general. She cannot escape the pain of her past for the life of her, and it has stuck with her since.
- Fighting Your Friend: Originally, three were supposed to head to the Sacred Sanctum in order to find a book for Natalie. However, Jocelyn came along last second, lying that she wanted to go to help them. As soon as they got to the secret path, Jocelyn stepped in their way and got angry at them. This anger soon lead to her first 'Braveheart' activation ever, in which she fights them out of pure worry. The group knows that she has no intention to kill them, but they are forced to fight her.
- I Call It "Vera": She can recall her harps name, the Arkenzantonial, despite no one else being able to remember it. Plus, she loves to call it Arky, and takes it everywhere she goes, despite it being a weapon in desguise.
- Impossibly Cool Weapon: Her harp has many different uses and capabilities, and its both ranged and physical. The mana from the harp transforms the harp into the forms with physical manifestations of certain elements. Plus, she has many different fighting styles she can use, thanks to these different forms.
- Innocently Insensitive: She often digs too far into others in order to help them, coming off as insensitive unintentionally.
- Instrument of Murder: Uses an ancient bladed harp as a weapon. It is called the Arkenzantonial.
- Insufferable Genius: One of the most intelligent of the bunch, maybe the most intelligent period. Hatched by herself an entire four part plan over a few hour period just to save her friends from the Sacred Sanctum, when there was only just a possibility of danger.
- Irony: She suspects a traitor is within the group one day, and calls everyone to a meeting. Eventually, she accuses Carol of being the mole, and the two get into a major argument. After Carol's emotional manipulation and Jocelyn's mind reading abilities cancel each other out, Carol retreats to her room. Feeling horrible, she begs Carol's forgiveness and apologizes for accusing her, and the two make up. However, she was actually spot- on in her deduction, and if everyone listened to her, Carol would be outed as the mole and Nephora's plot would be foiled.
- King Incognito: She is the crown princess of the land, yet she hides this from the public so she is treated like a normal student at Lorecraft Academy.
- Lame Pun Reaction: While not necessarily thinking they're lame, she just hates puns. She literally wants to punt anyone who makes puns, but she won't do so.
- Living Lie Detector: Due to her telepathy, it is very hard to get a lie past Jocelyn.
- Made of Iron: When she failed to defeat Sara during her backlash, she attempted to walk back by herself. Unluckily for her though, she passed out on the path. Proto came to her rescue, and despite her injuries and being out there for a while, she recovered within a few days.
- Manipulative Bastard: A good liar, she knows how to manipulate others into doing other things without her if necessary, or to get others to do things for her. She never really does anything that bad though to be called a bastard however.
- Mix-and-Match Weapon: Her Arkenzantonial has a few different forms, Lance, which is blue, uses ice magic, and is her harp's main form, Sword, which is green and uses wind magic, Dagger, which is red and uses nature magic,and Braveheart, which combines all three in a powerful royal purple aura, that induces bravery into Jocelyn as well as a major boost to her speed and a little boost to her power.
- The Nicknamer: She tends to nickname the things most precious to her.
- She calls her harp "Arky" for short, even know she can remember its entire name
- She also calls her regular ol' guitar "Banjo", and her trumpet "Lancelot".
- Shout-Out: Her middle name is a reference to the starring character, Meira, of the "Snow Like Ashes" book trilogy, written by Sara Raasch. The "R" and "I" were accidentally and amusingly swapped.
- Spin Attack: One of few moves she calls out by name, "Avalance Sonata", is a powerful spinning attack with the lance form of the Arkenzantonial.
- Stone Wall: Despite having the ability to be very offensive, she prefers to go on the defense, with hard-to-manuever-around icy walls, as well as support with healing. She's practiced this a lot, and she's near inpenetrable in her defenses.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: When you first meet Jocelyn, she will absolutely not trust you, and will only use telepathy to communicate with you. This is because of a traumatic event that happened in her past, that locked her trust away from everyone. However, when she opens up to you, she might be formal, but she is obviously happy to be around.
- Super Mode: When she goes into Braveheart form, she gains the inducement of bravery, as well as supersonic speed and reflexes.
- Super Speed: She is the fastest in the group, and can outrun almost anything you throw at her. Her Braveheart form allows Jocelyn to run at nearly the speed of sound, with the ability to create sonic booms. This allows her to rival even Sara in her Super Saiyan form.
- Sword Pointing: When she challenges in her Braveheart form, she points her harp as if it were a sword at the opponent, and screams, "I challenge thee to battle!," followed by a proposal. She only fights if the opponent accepts the proposal and begins to fight, in which then she says, "En Guarde!"
- Telepathy: This is Jocelyn's Resonance. She can talk to one person at once, or a group of people for a limited amount of time, and over a great distance. However, it hurts to do it for too long when she has been injured.
- Think Happy Thoughts: Whenever she thinks about bad things, such as her brother passing away, she tries to make herself happier, whether it involves leaving the room, or not
- Weirdness Coupon: Due to being not quite out in the public as much as she should due to witnessing her brother, the crown prince, kill himself right before her very eyes she is often awkward in situations where she experiences something new. A huge example of this is when she got into her first pillow fight with Sara and Natalie.
- Jocelyn: I mean, how many pillows did I get pelted by?!
Sara: Uh... Enough?
Jocelyn: It felt like a snowstorm of fluffy softness!
Jocelyn: How do you make fluffy softness feel like a snowstoooorm?!
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair:
Carol is an energetic, albiet overbearing, girl, who is Darklaw's adopted daughter all but in name. She has a short fuse with most people, but she is an extremely loyal companion. It's later revealed that she's actually an agent working for a person named Lady Nephora, and she was sent to Lorecraft Academy to infiltrate the school and find a relic of some sort. However, the connections she has made have made her question her own plots, leaving her in a tough situation. Either betray her friends and family and live with the guilt for the rest of her life, or risk death trying to save them.
Her Resonance is the ability to influence the emotions and thoughts of others when she locks eyes with her opponent.
Her fighting style revolves around her skill in manipulating space to cut holes in reality to strike her opponents with her clawed gauntlets when they aren't looking, crippling them until they can't fight anymore. She also uses tentacles generated by darkness to strike down her opponents and grapple them.
- Becoming the Mask: Was assigned as an infiltration unit at the Academy, but she genuinely cares for the bonds she has made with the others, and is currently torn up about how to deal with her situation.Carol: Goddamnit... DAMNIT! What am I gonna do...
- Blade Below the Shoulder: She has a pair of clawed gauntlets, in the vein of The Shredder or Vega.
- Blood Knight: Easily one of the most eager to get involved in a fight.
- Boobs of Steel: Carol can hold her own in a fight pretty well, and her chest is... noticable.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Big, brash, and one of the most outwardly carefree of the group.
- Casting a Shadow: Her secondary ability, using darkness-summoned tentacles to tie up foes or strike from a distance.
- Combat Pragmatist: Her main tactic in battle is to abuse her teleportation to hack and slash her opponents when they aren't looking.
- Determinator: She is notoriously stubborn, and will often butt heads with others because of her own bullheaded nature.
- Emotion Control: Her Resonance.
- The Glomp: A running gag is her tendency to tackle people (usually Sara) to the ground and take them by surprise.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Her fuse is one of the shortest in the cast, and if it wasn't for the involvement of the others, most of her problems would be settled with her fists and claws.
- Idiot Hero: Can contest Sara in this regard.
- Manipulative Bitch: Thanks to her Resonance, she can easily manipulate others to suit her own ends.
- The Mole: It is revealed that Lady Nephora sent her to Lorecraft Academy to find a 'relic' of some sorts.
- My God, What Have I Done??: Has two variations of this shown in the series.
- During the forest trial of the Talent Showdown Arc, when she realizes that she nearly strangled the elder Harpy sister to death.
- After making up with Jocelyn, Carol is pained when she realizes how true her accusations have hit.
- Ninja: She's pretty much this all but in name. She's the most adept at stealth, she's talented in acrobatics, is a Combat Pragmatist, and typically sticks to the shadows.
- Orphan's Ordeal: Darklaw picked her up from the streets, and says that when she found her "she had no home, no money, no food, nothing." It's likely the reason why she ended up involved with Nephora and her group.
- Carol: Honestly, Darklaw is the closest thing to a mom I have.
- Pungeon Master: Loves this kind of humor.
- Lewis: Okay, now you're just overdoing it.
Carol: LIES! THERE ARE NEVER ENOUGH PUNS!
- Shout-Out: Much like Lewis, her name is a reference to the author Lewis Caroll, namely that her name is composed of the last names of both his pen name and his real name, Charles Lutwidge Dodgson.
- Teleport Spam: As mentioned in the Combat Pragmatist entry above, this is her main method of fighting.
- Token Evil Teammate: Is actively working with Nephora, a villainess whose goals are clearly not to help the world.
- Even ignoring the fact that she works for a person who's trying to take over the world, her constant trolling of the others and her more aggressive personality contrasts the others' more kindhearted natures.
- A Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Read: Her Resonance is mind reading. However, Because of Lilith, the demon living inside Natalie's body, she is not able to control her Resonance and has to read every single person's mind that is nearby.
- This has caused to discover that Lewis is an anima, and Carol's being a traitor to the group.
- Darkand Troubled Past: It has been stated by her that she has been emotionally neglected and abused by her own parents. This, and the constant fear of her own mind reading, has caused her to be unstable and extremely shy,to be point of almost being afraid of talking.
- This has been further cemented by the demon that has been tormeting her for a long time, Lilith.
- Power Incontinence
- Shrinking Violet:
- Speech Impediment:
- Parental Substitute: Serves as this for Carol, who admits that Darklaw is the closest thing she has to a parent.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": Sportman is known for being the teacher of anything physical, basically the gym teacher.