Characters from the anime and manga "Tegami Bachi," (Letter Bee.)
The Bee HiveThe headquarters of the delivery service where all the "Bees" work. Located in Yuusari, the middle-class area of AmberGround.
Current Letter Bees and their Dingoes
Lag SeeingThe main protagonist. A very focused and unfailingly polite young boy. He is a former letter delivered by Gauche Suede to his aunt. His encounter with Gauche inspired him to become a Letter Bee. His Spirit Amber attack is called "Red Needle" and is able to visualize the memories held within whatever it is shot at. He can also somehow control the direction it goes. He has Spirit Amber implanted in his left eye socket.
Tropes associated with Lag:
- Ambiguously Human: He's essentially a shard of the Sun given form by the Spirit Amber. Inside him is the souls of many people that the Sun stole to be its light, among them the part that Gauche lost in the Day of Flicker.
- Chaste Hero: He's only 12, so he never considers his intimate relationship with Niche as anything romantic. Subverted later when he proclaims his Love Confession to Sylvette, showing that he's not completely Oblivious to Love.
- Determinator: Sees everything he starts to the end, no matter what.
- Eyepatch of Power: The patch of hair covering his left eye. Seems to make him more cute than intimidating.
- Frickin' Laser Beams: Like everyone else, but he can also shoot them from his hands.
- Glass Cannon: Like most Bees, but he seems to take the cake.
- Goal in Life: Three. To become Head Bee, to find his mother again (which ties into the first, since she's most likely in the capital) and to see Gauche again.
- The Hero: Who is also The Heart, which is an awesome power, by the way. Did you know that?
- Hero-Worshipper: To Gauche.
- Heroic Bastard: Possibly. He's definitely not curious where his dad is.
- Heroic BSoD: Lag after Gauche's FaceHeel Turn
- Heroic RRoD: He puts a lot into his heart bullets. As a result, he gets sick often.
- Meaningful Name: "Lagrima" means tears.
- Missing Mom: His mother was taken away by the government at the start of the series, and one of the reasons he wanted to become Head Bee is so that he can go to the capital to find her.
- Naked First Impression: When he arrives at the Bee-Hive, he introduces himself right away. While still in his boxers.
- Orphan's Plot Trinket: His Spirit Amber eye.
- Peek-a-Bangs: His bangs cover his Spirit Amber eye.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: His eyes are naturally red and the Spirit Amber in his left socket is also red. Subverted because he's very benevolent.
- Serious Business: Letters and memories, of course.
- To Be a Master: He wants to be Head Bee.
- When All You Have Is a Hammer...: Red Needle typically can destroy Gaichu and convey memories to people that resolve their problems, sometimes in the same shot.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: In contrast to people like Mock, wants to see all deliveries through to the end and do so in a way that is good for the sender and recipient.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: He makes an adorable girl.
NicheShe is Lag's personal bodyguard, AKA Dingo. Niche was a letter Lag encountered on his way to the Bee-Hive and he delivered to her destination, a side-show circus called Love Someone Down. She is actually the "Child of Maka" (lit. the Child of Greatness) and as a result, has golden, 'sword-like' hair, blue eyes and arms resembling that of a bear.
Tropes associated with Niche:
- A-Cup Angst: She normally does not dwell on it, but she will look upon her own chest unfavorably when she's comparing herself to other girls, especially if she perceives a girl as a "threat" (in the sense of her "stealing" Lag away from her). Her excitement of being temporarily aged up is even soured when she realizes she lacks an ample bosom and body (in comparison to Sylvette and her sister).
- Action Girl: She's the primary fighter in Lag's team, and is one of the best dingoes in the series.
- Bodyguard Crush: Very attached to Lag and takes her job to protect him very seriously.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Since Lag is her world, she's generally not pleased when she's not the center of his.
- The Comically Serious: She's a grumpy little girl who doesn't understand jokes, but her rather odd habits, and the way people (especially Lag) reacts to it is frequently used as a source of comedy.
- I Have the High Ground
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: She doesn't like to wear clothes (the only reason she does is because Lag asked her to), and would strip whenever she's annoyed with Lag to spite him.
- The Lancer: She's a hot-headed fighter who accompanies the sensitive Non-Action Guy Lag.
- Line-of-Sight Name: She's called 'Niche' because, well, that's where Lag found her. It works.
- Please Put Some Clothes On: Every time Niche walks around naked, Lag would frantically run after her, trying to get her wear something.
- Prehensile Hair: Her hair can morph into virtually anything, including weapons.
- Really 700 Years Old: Despite her childlike appearance, she's been around for at least two hundred years.
- Serious Business: Being a Dingo.
- Stay in the Kitchen: Despite being sad to say goodbye to her, Lag initially thinks it's too dangerous for Niche to be his dingo as a young girl. He gets over it fairly quickly.
- 10-Minute Retirement: Tries to quit being Lag's dingo after drinking poisoned water and subsequenly losing to Roda. She gets better.
- Third-Person Person: Refers to herself as "Niche".
- Took a Level in Badass: She can now make some pretty intricate things with her hair, after training with her sister.
SteakNiche's live bait and emergency food rations. He followed her from Love Someone Down and usually is a Head Pet. Steak seems to have accepted that one day Niche may make good on her desire to eat him. He also appears to be a Kapellmeister and the Last of His Kind.
Tropes associated with Steak:
- Eat the Dog: He's named Steak for a reason.
- Face Death with Dignity: Is mostly okay with Niche eating him one day.
- Head Pet: He's usually sitting on Niche's head or shoulders when the group are travelling together.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: Nearly his entire body is mouth with a corresponding amount of teeth. As Lag and Connor found out.
- Shout-Out: To Fizzgig from The Dark Crystal.
- The Nose Knows: He can sniff out the weaknesses of Gaichuu.
- Team Pet
Connor KluffThe Bee who escorted Lag to his interview. Connor made regular deliveries to Campbell Litus as Lag was growing up, and seems to be popular with the townspeople. He has a hearty appetite and a stocky build, and tires easily. His Dingo is a hound dog named Gus whose skilled at tunneling. His Spirit Amber attack is "Yellow Bomb" and uses pieces of his hunger via landmines.
Tropes associated with Connor:
- All Love Is Unrequited: Develops a crush on "Roda" at the abbey, another nun at the abbey develops a crush on him and when he finally returns her feelings, Reverse drops a Gaichuu on the nun.
- Big, Bulky Bomb: Yellow Bomb can make some pretty big explosions.
- Big Eater: Justified. His attacks rely on it.
- Big Friendly Dog: Gus, who's also a bit lazy.
- Cannot Spit It Out: He can't bring himself to tell Lag that Gauche is no longer a Bee.
- Eyes Always Shut: Does he HAVE eyes?
- Lazy Bum: He could be a bit more energetic.
- Nice Guy: Unlike Lag and Zazie, he has no mental hiccups.
- Quit Your Whining: To Lag, in the wake of Lily's getting her heart eaten, saying that this time, he's not crying for others, but himself.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: A short one. When Reverse takes Sunny's heart, Connor tries his best to get it back.
- The Smart Guy: He's pretty knowledgeable for one so young.
- Stuff Blowing Up
- Tunnel King: Gus, his Dingo.
- Wham Line: Identifying the Gaichuu that ate Zazie's parents' hearts.
Zazie WintersA Bee who specializes in killing Gaichuu and actually has very little interest in deliveries. For the record, he IS good at those too. His parents were killed by Gaichuu when he was a child, leading him to become a Bee in order to exact vengeance. He likes cats; in fact his Dingo is a panther named "Wasiolka." His Spirit Amber attack is "Blue Thorn" and shoots pieces of his hate.
Also, in the anime, he's very apparently a boy. In the manga, however...
Tropes associated with Zazie:
- A Day in the Limelight: Volume 16 is centered on him, as he finds the Gaichuu that stole his parents' hearts
- The Big Guy: Out of the three main Bees, he's the least likely to be captured.
- Cute Little Fangs: To go with the cat theme.
- Cynicism Catalyst: As a young boy, he learned that people can't be trusted upon seeing a Bitch in Sheep's Clothing who ran an orphanage.
- Daddy Had a Good Reason for Abandoning You: His parents were 5 million rin in debt, and knew that he'd be taken as collateral, so they abandoned him outside an orphanage and returned once they paid off the debt.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: He gets a tad hot under the collar.
- Hero-Worshipper: To Jiggy Pepper. Subverted by the fact that he's just as capable.
- I Can Still Fight!: In Episode 20, despite his broken arm, he returns via Big Damn Heroes to help Lag.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: It's revealed in a flashback why he lost
- Meaningful Name: In-Universe, his name means, "One who lives honestly."
- Only One Name: For the most part, until his past is revealed.
- Panthera Awesome: Wasiolka.
- Parental Abandonment: His parents had their hearts eaten by a Gaichuu. They also had left him behind for 10 years, and he, as a result of his trust issues, couldn't recognize them as his parents.
- Parting Words Regret: The last thing he said to his parents before they got killed by a Gaichuu was that he didn't believe that they were his parents.
- Revenge: His reason for joining the Letter Bees and the source of his power.
- Trigger Happy
- Wham Line: He tells Lag in passing that Gauche is no longer a Bee, and as such, Lag's the current record-holder on the entry exam.
- You Killed My Father: He eventually comes into a confrontation with the Gaichuu that ate his parents' hearts.
Jiggy PepperThe resident Express Delivery specialist, a young adult Bee who occasionally shows up when the manga decides to be extra cool. Has two adopted siblings, Nelli and Nello, though Nello, the boy, eventually dies of an illness. He left their hometown to become stronger to protect them. He also had a bell tower built there. His Spirit Amber, Sea Blue Ultramarine, is in his motorcycle. His Dingo is a hawk named Harry.
Tropes associated with Jiggy:
- Aloof Big Brother: Note that in this case, 'aloof' does not mean 'bad'. He really does love and care for his adoptive sister, he's just sort of understated about it. As in 'to the point that she completely despised him until discovering just how much he's done to take care of her over the years'.
- Badass Biker: Zazie and Lag certainly think so.
- Big Brother Instinct: Becomes a Bee because of it.
- Big Brother Mentor: To Lag and Zazie.
- Big Damn Heroes: Saves Lag from a lighthouse. Really.
- Cool Bike: It runs on
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Two on the right side of his face, right near his eye. He's definitely a good guy, though.
Lily ConfortLag's partner during the Cabernet interception mission. She lacks confidence in her abilities and hates the fact that as a Bee she is often rejected by society. She holds Lag in very high esteem, having heard of his reputation, and admires his dedication, abilities and confidence.
Tropes associated with Lily:
- Hero-Worshipper: Her admiration for the "Child Of Light" is quite strong.
- Let's Get Dangerous!: Cruelly subverted, leading to...
- Killed Off for Real / A Fate Worse Than Death
- Tiny Guy, Huge Girl: Her partnership with Lag.
- Younger Than They Look: Lag is surprised to learn that she's only a year older than him.
Largo Lloyd Largo ValloreThe Master of the Bee Hive. Seem to have a more invested interest in Lag and his deliveries for reasons unknown.
Tropes associated with Largo:
- Alliterative Name
- Benevolent Boss
- Body Horror revealed in Chapter 50 to have massive scarring as a result of government experiments
- His internal organs are his mothers who was also used in the experiments and made part tree.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: He can be quite frivolous sometimes. Lag's jaw drops when he finds out THIS man is in charge.
- Busman's Holiday: After he's fired. Which he takes with a grain of salt anyway.
- The Chessmaster: Often out gathering information... and threatening those who don't give it up.
- Guile Hero: Implied.
- Mr. Exposition: He IS in charge.
- Stoic Spectacles: A smiling example.
- Ship Tease: With Aria and Elena, before she died.
- Smoking Is Cool: In the manga, he often has a cigarette butt in his mouth.
- Team Dad
- Trickster Mentor: Up until the reveal, he had some elements of this.
- Wild Card: Not evil per se, but does ANYONE know what he's thinking about?
Aria LinkThe Sub Master of the Bee Hive and Largo's right hand, taking care of the minor things for him. She was see earlier in Gauche's memories as a letter bee and his love interest. Aria's Spirit Amber ability is the Heart Restoration Bullet, which she executes by playing music on her violin. The music has a healing effect on everyone who hears it. The closer one stands to her while she is playing, the stronger the healing effects. Her Spirit Amber attack is "Crimson Melody" and is executed by playing her violin. Her Dingo is Bolt, a large dog.
Tropes associated with Aria:
- Big Friendly Dog: Bolt.
- Elegant Classical Musician
- Form-Fitting Wardrobe:Her outfits tend to be like this, especially in the manga. In a recent chapter, Lag ends up staring at her after she dons her old Letter Bee uniform, which is a little... tight on her, and when she frets about having gained weight, he reassures her that she looks sexy.
- The Klutz: There is a reason she doesn't do deliveries anymore...
- Meaningful Name: An "aria" is a type of song for opera.
- Meganekko/Stoic Spectacles
- Ms. Fanservice
- Musical Assassin: That violin gets GREAT range.
- Sexy Secretary
- Ship Tease: With Gauche, of course and sometimes her boss.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: Can be cold and professional, but is also very warm-hearted.
- Team Mom: For all Bees.
Dr. Thunderland Jr.A biologist who belongs to the Third Bioscience advisory panel of Amberground divisions specializing in pathology. He collects corpses for dissection and study, earning him the nickname "The Corpse Doctor." He has a morbid interest in dissection. Not as evil as he looks.
Tropes associated with Dr. Thunderland:
- Comedic Sociopathy: Thinks dissection is a marvelous thing to talk about while standing over an unconscious body.
- Dr. Jerk: Despite what Zazie will tell you, he's not.
- Eyepatch of Power: Seems to have lost his eye on the Day of Flicker.
- Insistent Terminology: It seems odd when no one calls him "Dr." or "Jr."
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: While he does dissect A LOT of things, he uses them to create cures for diseases. Also, for the corpses he finds, he erects little memorials for all of them.
- Mad Scientist: You get the feeling that he and Stein would get along GREAT.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: "Corpse Doctor."
- Only Friend: To an extent, as he says he's never had a friend, but speaks fondly of how Gauche seemed to understand him.
- The Professor
Thunderland Junior's father, who makes appearances in the bonus sections of the manga volumes to talk about Amberground, and the various people and places Lag finds in his travels
- All There in the Manual: Provides information that isn't openly discussed in the manga, but also adds quite a bit of his own opinion, especially where his son is concerned.
- Cool Shades
- Mr. Exposition
A Letter Bee whose approach to his work is starkly different from Lag and Gauche's; he simply believes in getting letters to their destinations and is willing to write off letters as "cold letters" without tracking down the sender or recipient.
Tropes associated with Mock:
- Accidental Misnaming: Gets Lag's name wrong despite having just been told it.
- Jerkass: Says in no uncertain terms that he doesn't think much of Lag as a Bee and dislikes his approach to delivering letters.
- Knife Nut
KrankMock Sullivan's Dingo, a cobra.
Calibus GarrardA government official and former Bee come to retrieve Gauche's unconscious body. Lloyd at one point idolized him.
Tropes associated with Garrard:
- Badass Boast: When he's about to be tested for entering the capital, he tells Canon "You don't think we're qualified? Of course we are!!! We're going to the Capital! The next time you see me, I'll be Head Bee!! Don't you forget it, missy!!" Subverted as it turns out he was Tempting Fate.
- Blue Oni: To Hazel's Red.
- Big Damn Heroes: When the Cabernet shows up outside Yuusari, he and Hazel head the defense team to fight it off, despite showing no concern to the people's well-beings earlier.
- Broken Pedestal:
- Cool Old Guy: He's absolutely badass when he fights the Cabernet.
- Cynicism Catalyst: His attempt to enter the capital.
- Dark and Troubled Past: What made him fail the test to get inside the capital and end up living in the "middle ground", Kagerou. He went through utter hell in his childhood, with an abusive mother who eventually killed his father. And then what he's seen and done since he's gotten inside Akatsuki.
- Fake Memories: The one happy memory he has of his childhood is fake.
- Jerkass-> Jerk with a Heart of Gold.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Allows himself to be swallowed by the Cabernet, so that others will have a chance to kill it before it can destroy Yuusari.
- Knight In Sour Armor: Going to the capital and finding out the truth utterly broke him, but he manages to regain his spirits.
- Laughing Mad: After Canon suggests that the man-made sun is made of the hearts of those who entered Akatsuki.
- Let's Get Dangerous!
- Obstructive Bureaucrat: Subverted. It wasn't him being an ass when he sacked Lloyd, it was him giving Lloyd a chance to fight the government and expose the capital's secrets.
- Pick on Someone Your Own Size: Seems to have it out for Largo, Gauche and Lag.
- Smug Snake: Actually, he's just a Shell-Shocked Veteran.
- Stoic Spectacles and Sunglasses at Night
- Tempting Fate: Despite making a Badass Boast, he learns that the test is beyond anything he could have ever imagined, and it breaks him.
- To Be a Master: Another person who wants to be Head Bee and has no problem stepping on small stones in his path to being it.
- "Being a dingo is my life!! I don't know how to do nothin' but protect!! I'll protect you! And I'll protect my old hometown! What could be simpler than that?"
Tropes associated with Hazel:
- Badass Normal: Takes on Niche and nearly wins.
- The Big Guy: One of the biggest guys in comic.
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Declaration of Protection: See above.
- Defeat Means Friendship: One of the weirdest examples imaginable, with Wasiolka. She... he... you know what, it really does need to be seen to be believed. Check the links above under Funny Moments.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Niche finally beats him by exposing Aria's bra.
- Friend to All Living Things And All Children: When he's not beating the crap out of them, of course.
- Gender-Blender Name
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Garrard.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Plucky Comic Relief: When Hazel shows up, the next few pages are guaranteed to be funny, no matter what happens.)
- Red Oni (To Garrad's Blue.)
Amberground GovernmentEnforces a very strict class separation & bars travel between the 3 districts for all except those given proper clearance.
Tropes about the government in general
Empress of Amberground/(currently) Anne Seeing
Tropes associated with her:
- Express Delivery: She was spontaneously impregnated with Lag on the Day of Flicker and gave birth to him on the same day.
- Family Business: Her family has been in charge of the task of "Empress" - which is to protect the light of the Sun - for generations, and Anne is the newest Empress.
- Lag I Am Your Mother: The current Empress is, anyway.
- Shout-Out: Her statues resemble the Virgin Mary.
Jikku ValloreCommander of the Imperial Guard. He abducted Lag's mother and was present on the Inspection Airship during the Day of Flicker.
Tropes associated with Jikku Vallore:
ReverseA revolutionary group trying to cause a "Reverse" in Amberground. May not or may not be much better than the government they're trying to topple over.
The Man Unable To Become A Spirit/LawrenceThe leader of Reverse.
Tropes associated with The Man Unable To Become A Spirit:
- Big Bad Possibly.
- Face Framed in Shadow
- Nice Hat
- The Revolution Will Not Be Civilized: No, it will not.
Roda/The Girl in WhiteNoir's Dingo.
Tropes associated with her:
- Body Horror: When Lag accidentally sees her bathing, he discovers that her body is riddled with scars.
- Breaking Speech: Gives one to Niche, leading to her 10-Minute Retirement.
- Dark Action Girl
- Dual Wielding
- Femme Fatale: Not sexual, but definitely beautiful and definitely morally ambiguous.
- Knife Nut
- Meaningful Name: Roda, after Gauche's Dingo.
- Person with the Clothing: Referred to as the 'Girl in White'.
- The Stoic
- Take My Hand: Refuses Lag's, despite being somewhat touched he offered.
- Zettai Ryouiki
Noir/Gauche SuedeA Marauder for Reverse who steals letters from Bees. He's a bit of a jerk. His Spirit Amber attack is named "Jet Black"
Tropes associated with Noir:
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Maybe not THAT crazy, but otherwise, it fits.
- Evil Counterpart: To the Bees.
- Hand Cannon
- The Heartless
- The Stoic
ZealAgent of Reverse. Fought Zazie.
Tropes associated with Zeal:
MieAgent of Reverse.
Tropes associated with Mie:
SunnyA young nun at the Veritably Abbey in Lamento Town. She is a good baker, and has a crush on Connor.
Tropes associated with Sunny:
Semi-recurring characters, family of main characters and people who aren't specifically affiliated with anything.
The Suede Family
Gauche SuedeLag's mentor and hero, who delivered him to his aunt in Chapter 1. He's a lively and pleasant young man, something remarked upon by those who've met him. He also wants to become the Head Bee so that he can make life easier for his younger sister. He likes weird soup. It's revealed he has no memories of his mother, as a result of the Day Of Flicker. Aria believes he focuses all of his attention on his sister as a result. His Spirit Amber attack is "Black Needle" and his Dingo is Roda.
It is revealed that he is no longer a Bee and worst, a Marauder of Reverse called Noir. He has no memories of Lag or Sylvette, possibly due to losing that part of his heart. Recently, he's awoken and seems to recognize Sylvette again... though this proves to be him simply using the memories within Lag's Letter Bullet as a guide to feign remembrance. During and after the battle with Cabernet, he has returned to working with the Bee Hive, after deciding that his actions with Reverse was hurting too many people.
Tropes associated with Gauche:
- The Ace: In verse, just about everyone loves Gauche.
- Big Brother Instinct: Sylvette is his main motivation. He also returns for Lag because of this.
- Big Brother Mentor: To Lag.
- Big Damn Heroes: In Chapter 42.
- Big Friendly Dog: Roda, unless you're a Gaichuu.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: As Noir.
- Disappeared Dad: He is never mentioned.
- FaceHeel Turn
- HeelFace Turn: Subverted after Lag shot him with a heart bullet. He started acting like Gauche again, but it was all an act, and he learned it from the memories in the bullet. During the battle with Cabernet, he makes a proper turn toward Face.
- Hand Cannon
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Can't remember his mother. Or his sister. Or Lag.
- Missing Mom: Has absolutely no memory of her whatsoever.
- Promotion to Parent: After his mother's death.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Averted initially.
- To Be a Master: Like Lag, he also wants(ed) to be Head Bee.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Loves "The Three Brothers' Soup."
Sylvette SuedeGauche's younger, handicapped sister. Like Lag, she was also born of the Day of Flicker. After Gauche leaves for Akatsuki, he disappears, leaving her to assume he's dead. Some years later she encounter Lag, who promises to find her brother. She covers the rent and expenses on her house by making and selling dolls and renting a room to Lag.
Lag eventually does find and return Gauche to her. While Gauche feigns having regained his memories (using the memories carried in Lag's Letter Bullet to build the cover), she eventually learns the truth after the battle with Cabernet. She's taking it surprisingly well.
Tropes associated with Sylvette:
- Apron Matron: Twenty years early, even.
- Badass Normal: A Handicapped Badass Normal!
- Boobs of Steel: Quite a sizable pair for one her age... Niche doesn't take it well.
- Dead Guy Junior: Unbeknownst to her older brother, she bears the name of her mother.
- Handicapped Badass: The "Wheelchair Leopardess" can catch up to and take on RHINO-DRAWN CARRIAGES. And WIN.
- Please Put Some Clothes On: To Niche again, though mainly she wishes Niche would wear more girly pants. Also, Sylvette has to remind Niche to brush her teeth.
- Plucky Girl
- Self-Made Woman: While lonely, she manages to do just fine without her brother and before Lag comes along. Also, her dolls are pretty popular.
- Team Mom
- Trademark Favorite Food: Like Gauche, she also likes weird soup.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: It takes a while before Niche warms up to Sylvette.
Sabrina MaryLag's aunt who lives in Campbell Litus. Gauche delivers Lag to her in the first chapter. Lag stays with her for five years before leaving to become a Bee himself.
Tropes associated with Sabrina:
- Apron Matron
- Cool Old Lady
- Tsundere: Yells at Gauche for not thanking Lag for dragging his ass into town but gives him food and water for the return trip back to Yuusari.
Anne SeeingLag's mother. She was taken to Akatsuki at the beginning of the story and no one has seen her since. She is the one who implanted the Spirit Amber in Lag's eye. Or, to be more accurate, she instructed Sabrina Mary to do so.
Tropes associated with her:
Niche's Older Twin SisterAntagonist of the Blue Notes Blues Arc, she was separated from Niche sometime ago. Unlike Niche, she managed to grow up and find her way back to Maka. Also unlike Niche, she knows just how and why she came into the world.
Tropes associated with her:
- Action Girl
- Dark Action Girl: When initially introduced.
- Annoying Arrows The size of SPEARS!
- Broken Bird
- Cute Little Fangs
- Cute Monster Girl
- Death by Childbirth: Her mother.
- Forehead of Doom: Niche IS her sister after all...
- Godiva Hair
- Humans Are Bastards: They certainly have been to her and her entire family. They tossed her and her sister OVER A CLIFF WHEN THEY WERE JUST BABIES FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!
- Innocent Fanservice Girl
- Lady of War: Can make some impressively intricate things with her hair and rarely has to change her stance while fighting.
- Ms. Fanservice: Manages to go toe to toe with Aria for the position.
- Naked First Impression: Not that she gives a crap.
- No Name Given
- Please Put Some Clothes On: Makes her OWN Chainmail Bikini even.
- Plot-Relevant Age-Up: When it dawns on her that she is effectively alone in the world.
- Prehensile Hair
- Really 700 Years Old
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: When she stops being aloof and throwing tantrums, she's quite nice.
- Training from Hell: Taught Niche some new tricks.
- Verbal Tic: When she gets upset, she trips over her words."Let's cuh. Cut. Cut you open and see what's inside."
- Wild Child
MakaThe resident God of Blue Notes Blues. People make sacrifices to her and while she does protect the land, she does it for no one's sake but her own. Somehow she managed to raise Niche's sister.
Tropes associated with Maka:
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever
- Foreshadowing: Neither she nor Niche's sister completely buy into the notion that Lag is human.
- Humans Are Annoying
- Instant Awesome: Just Add Dragons!
- Mix-and-Match Critters: She looks like a cross between an eagle and a dragon.
- Our Dragons Are Different
- Our Gods Are Different
- Pet the Dog: She helps Celica live long enough to have her daughters and raises the oldest when she makes her way back to her.
- Also, she genuinely does protect the land.
- She takes Niche and Steak to a healing lake.
- Physical God
CelicaThe mother of Niche and her sister.
Tropes associated with Celica:
- Mama Bear: She was perfectly fine with Maka eating her (she doesn't) so long as she saved her daughters' lives.