Characters in Legend of Heavenly Sphere Shurato.
Shurato Hidaka a.k.a. Shura-oh Shurato
- Animal Motifs: Lions
- Big Eater
- Big Fancy House: Subverted. By Japanese standards Shurato's house is very big (specially considering it's in the middle of Tokyo), but it looks rather old as well. It's likely an old building from the post-war years that hasn't been modified in many decades.
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Break the Cutie: Not only his best friend becomes his worst enemy, but he doesn't take the deaths of people like Saras, Mayuri, and Ryoma in almost immediate sucession very well. And yet, he doesn't break.
- Cain and Abel: The Abel to Gai's Cain, albeit in a childhood friends sense.
- The Determinator
- Funny Bruce Lee Noises: Brazilian dub only. Justified, since Shurato used kung fu moves in the first episode.
- Has a Type: He comes to appreciate and love Lakshu dearly, but there's not so few cases where Shurato displays he have a thing for older girls. Examples include Gai's sister and Rengue's sister.
- Good Wears White: He is The Hero and wears white armor.
- Great White Feline: His armor is patterned after a white lion.
- Heir to the Dojo
- The Hero
- Idiot Hero
- Light Is Good: His armour is mostly white and golden. It contrasts sharply with Gai's.
- The Power of Friendship: He strongly believes in it, and one of his reasons to accept the call is because he doesn't want the Hachibushu to kill each other. The other is his desire to learn what led Gai to a FaceHeel Turn.
- Refusal of the Call: He wasn't thrilled at first with the fact that he was a Hachibushu, despite remarking on how beautiful Vishnu was. That is, until he saw Reiga and Ryoma's fight and he decides to not have friends fighting each other.
- Sacred First Kiss: He is appalled that Lakshu steals his first kiss.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: Have this with Lakshu at first, but he comes to warm up and accept the idea. In the two parter against Kundalini, Lakshu tries to sacrifice herself to give Shurato a power up. He screams to the Heavens how important she is to him and uses his last forces to reach her before she performs the ritual. He can't stop her, receives the power up, but she gets better, so everything turns fine in the end.
- Simple Staff: his Vajra
- Shock and Awe
- This Loser Is You: People remark more than once on how unfit he is to be a Hachibushu.
- Unskilled, but Strong: Shurato has lots of raw power but lacks the proper training, as he was trained in martial arts on Earth but that doesn't exactly help him to control his Sohma when he's in the Tenkuukai.
- Ambiguously Bi: On one hand, he has feelings for Renge. On the other, he also has Ho Yay with Ryouma.
- An Ice Person
- Animal Motifs: Tigers
- Dual Wielding: His nunchaku
- The Lancer
- Taking the Bullet: Dies when he protects Shurato from a blast of energy coming from Gai. He gets better.
- Tiger Versus Dragon: He has a close relationship with Ryouma, and fights him once.
- Undying Loyalty: To Vishnu and Indra, giving him at first quite a bit of tunnel vision. When he realizes that Indra is NOT to be trusted anymore, he switches to Vishnu's side and joins Shurato's quest. Doesn't mean that he's not pained when he and Shurato finally face Indra.
- Blade on a Stick: His weapon is a trident.
- Animal Motifs: Dragons
- The Big Guy
- Big Guy Fatality Syndrome: While not the first good guy to die, he's the first member of the Five-Man Band to kick it. He gets better, though.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome
- Tiger Versus Dragon: See Hyuuga.
- Agent Peacock: An Ambiguously Gay dude who flirts with Shurato shamelessly and gives Lakshu beauty tips, as well as a loyal friend and a gifted strategist and fighter.
- Animal Motifs: Phoenixes
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Presents himself as such. He's not like that, obviously.
- Guile Hero
- Heroic Sacrifice: By fighting the copies of Dan, Renge and Kuya so Shurato and Hyuga can go against Indrah. Subverted: it turns he survived, but barely, so Lakshu has to heal him.
- Improbable Weapon User: His rings
- Obfuscating Stupidity
- Playing with Fire
- The Smart Guy: Perceptive, quick-thinking, manipulative when it counts, with lots of booksmarts and a near encyclopedic knowledge of the lore surrounding the Tenkuukai and the Asura gods.
Gai Kuroki a.k.a. Yasha-oh Gai
- Animal Motifs: Wolves
- The Atoner: Considers be killed by Shiva a fair price for everything he did while brainwashed and fuses his soul with Shurato's to defeat the wicked goddess.
- BFS: His weapon is a longsword
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Goddammit, Shiva
- Cainand Abel: The Cain to Shurato's Abel.
- Dying as Yourself
- FaceHeel Turn
- Ill Boy: What he used to be. He took up martial arts to try fixing it up.
- Missing Mom: Mrs. Kuroki died when he was small, so he was partially raised by his older sister Mina.
- Red and Black and Evil All Over
- Rival Turned Evil
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Before coming to the Tenkuukai, he was very much a Nice Guy as well as a skilled martial artist. Shurato remembers him kindly taking care of wounded pigeons and keeping him company when he was punished by his parents, even.
- Advertised Extra: Promotional material, supplementary material, adds and others heavily advertise her. She's a secondary character, at most.
- Animal Motifs: Unicorns
- Back from the Dead: Revived by Vishnu after her fatal loss to Hyuuga.
- Boyish Short Hair: Alongside a pair of sidetails.
- Broken Bird: See Dark Magical Girl. She gets better.
- Dark Action Girl: Ability-wise, as she's very ruthless in battle and has the skills to back it up. Returns to being an Action Girl on the side of good when she's Back from the Dead.
- Dark Magical Girl: Personality-wise — she's not a bad person in herself, just a confused and emotionally-broken young girl who sincerely loves Indra and has quite a bit of inner pain about it. Later, like many other DMG's, Heel Face Turns to the side of good.
- Flower Motifs: Renge means "lotus"
- Knife Nut: A rose-shaped dagger...
- Love Makes You Evil: Her Subordinate Excuse to Indra inspires her FaceHeel Turn.
- Love Martyr: To Indra. And by the end she's very, very painfully aware of it.
- The Smurfette Principle: Deconstructed, because it screwed up badly with her self-esteem despite her genuine skill and power.
- Whip It Good: Her dagger doubles as a whip.
- Animal Motifs: The water buffalo
- Back from the Dead: Revived by Vishnu after his fatal loss to Reiga.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Reiga's.
- Dual Wielding: His chakram.
- Eyes Always Closed
- Genius Bruiser: A huge dude who controls his Sohma to near perfection and is a VERY skilled fighter. His fight with Reiga is not just a test of strength, but also of smarts.
- HeelFace Door-Slam
- Kill It with Water - Making a Splash
- The Quiet One
- Ambiguously Brown: His skin is noticable darker than the others, but no one says anything
- Animal Motifs: The rhino
- An Axe to Grind
- Back from the Dead: Revived by Vishnu after his fatal loss to Shurato.
- Blood Knight
- Chekhov's Gun: When it breaks, Dan is distracted... and that lets Shurato strike him down.
- Dishing Out Dirt
- Former Teen Rebel: Until Vishnu "tames" and recruits him.
- Hoist by His Own Petard
- Tragic Keepsake: A pendant that Vishnu gave him.
- Undying Loyalty: Obsessively loyal to Vishnu, which could be seen as a huge Bodyguard Crush.
- Youngest Child Wins: The youngest of five siblings, gets chosen as a Hachibushu.
- Barrier Maiden
- Big Good
- Gender Flip: Vishnu is, as you know, a male god in Hindu myths. In this universe, well, nope.
- Healing Hands:
- Killed Off for Real: Vishnu can bring people Back from the Dead, but she herself ends up dying.
- Physical Goddess
- Silk Hiding Steel: A wise, softspoken, gentle goddess... who is compassionate and coolheaded, as well as plucky enough to personally recruit someone as hard to handle as Dan.
- Taken for Granite: Thank you, Indra. NOT.
- World-Healing Wave: She releases one after being de-petrified, restoring both Tenkuukai and Earth and reviving the fallen Hachibushu. The only one she cannot bring back is Gai, since he's in the power of Shiva. And then it's massively subverted: when Shiva properly shows up, the Tenkuukai starts to fall apart again.
- Barrier Maiden: As she is the biggest candidate to become Vishnu's successor, due to her massive quantities of Sohma and her kind heart.
- Belly Dancer: Her outfit makes her look like one.
- Break the Cutie: As a sweet and naive pre-teen girl whose world is literally falling apart, because the goddess she serves is petrified and the Hachibushu (including the dude she likes and her friends) are pit against each other. She cries more than once, but pulls through
- The Cutie
- Dude, She's Like, in a Coma!: On her first meeting with Shurato, she kisses him while he's unconscious.
- Genki Girl
- Girlish Pigtails
- Go Through Me: Puts herself between Shurato and Gai, and tries to reason with the latter. It doesn't work, obviously, but she still stands her ground.
- Healing Hands
- Heroic Sacrifice: Was planning to make one via going to a magical spring in Horai that would allow her to empower Shurato with The Power of Love in exchange for her life. She lives to tell, though.
- The Ingenue
- Meaningful Name: Put together her name and her pet Mii's. They form "Lakshmi"... which is the name of the Hindu goddess of wealth, fortune and beauty, as well as God Vishnu's consort.
- Naïve Newcomer: She has just left her village to travel through the Tenkuukai, so she's not exactly versed in how the outer world works.
- Never Got to Say Goodbye: "Ryoma... he died... and I didn't even get to say goodbye...!"
- Pink Means Feminine: Her Belly Dancer-like outfit is pink
- Plucky Girl: Despite painfully knowing she's not a fighter, Lakshu will NOT abandon her dear Shurato and her newfound friends.
- Stripperiffic: Her usual clothes show skin considerably, while keep some modesty.
- Tag Along Kid
- Tender Tears
- White Magician Girl: As the non-fighting healer of the group.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Green.
- Cool Big Sis: Renge's older sister, who is very proud of her little sis.
- Heroic BSoD: When she learns that Renge has become now her dead little sister, she's so badly damaged that she tries to kill Shurato in her grief.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Seems to have low self-esteem.
- Nice Girl
- Rescue Romance: Even if she tried to kill Shurato, he still saves her (Bridal Carry included). Sati is left very touched and understand he isn't the monster she thought he was.
- Amazon Chaser: He likes Dark Action Girl Renge.
- Handicapped Badass: Because he's also a...
- Ill Boy: With the Incurable Cough of Death to prove it.
- Knife Nut: Has two daggers as his weapons
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: Renge's
- Action Girl
- Battle Couple: She and Mayuri.
- Beauty Mark
- Cool Big Sis: To Shurato
- Dark-Skinned Redhead
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Shurato's
- Heroic Sacrifice: She takes a huge energy blast from Acalanatha to protect Shurato, and that kills her.
- Ninja: Sorta, as she and Mayuri are specifically-trained spies
- Paper Master
- Slipknot Ponytail: When she's fatally struck down, her Rapunzel Hair goes loose.
Ususama Wisdom King Mayuri
- Battle Couple: Him and Saras
- Died Standing Up: Likely due to said lance.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Benevolent example, as he looks creepy but is undoubtly an ally.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice and Human Pincushion: How the poor dude kicks it. Not only he gets a lance to the gut, but gets hit by several arrows.
- Improbable Weapon User: His bells
- Let Them Die Happy: When the dying Mayuri asks about Saras's well-being, Hyuga tells him that she's wounded but alive. (She's already dead.). He says "I see...", but it's not clear if he believes them or not.
- Ninja: Again, sorta
Shiva the Goddess of Destruction
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good:
- During Shurato and Gai's final fight, Shiva tries to tempt Shurato into giving into his anger and kill Gai. She is genuinely shocked when he allows himself to be stabbed by Gai instead. Having found the strength to resist the temptation to do evil, Shurato confounds Shiva's expectations.
- Later, Shiva becomes furious when Shurato expresses pity for her for being corrupted by the Black Sohma and retorts that the power she gained as a result was worth it. Shurato replies that power is meaningless in the end and that Shiva already lost by surrendering to evil millennia ago. It all flies over Shiva's head.
- Evil Redhead
- Gender Flip: Shiva is a male god in the Hindu myths and the seiyuu is obviously male, but in this canon is referred to as Queen Shiva and has the looks of a redheaded woman in black.
- Greater-Scope Villain: She's the one to whom all the Asura Gods swear allegiance to and she is responsible for Gai's Brainwashed and Crazy state, having corrupted him during his journey from Earth to Tenkuukai.
- The Man in Front of the Man: Killing her doesn't end all evil. Black Sohma permeates all existence, just as Sohma does. The battle for Balance Between Good and Evil has lasted since time immemorial and will likely continue for countless more millennia to come. When Shurato learns this, he and the spirit of Gai vow to someday find true balance for all existence and put an end to all suffering.
- Walking Spoiler
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing
- Big Bad
- Broken Pedestal: For Hyuuga, specially.
- Evil Chancellor
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Hyuga's.
- Graceful Loser: When Hyuga fatally strikes him down, he calmly gives him his congrats and aknowledges his loss; then as he dies with a smile on his lips, he expresses the wish to be reborn in a true Deva god.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice
- Nice Hat: His nifty turbant
- Manipulative Bastard
- Was It All a Lie?: When Hyuga mentions the trope, Indra's reply is basically... A type 2: "No. I never lied. When I said I wanted to protect Tenkuukai, I meant it. But my duty now is to destroy it. And I mean that too."
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: What he considers himself as. He says that, as his body filled with black Sohma, he understood his real mission: to destroy the Tenkuukai that he loved and treasured, being one of the Asura Gods. Shurato doesn't buy it.Indra: I merely follow my duty. Here and now.
Gundari Wisdom King Kundalini
- Animal Motifs: Snakes
- Blade on a Stick: His halberd.
- The Brute
- The Juggernaut
- Magma Man
- Playing with Fire
Gosanze Wisdom Queen Trylo
- Animal Motifs: Wyverns
- Dark Action Girl and Dark Chick
- The Fighting Narcissist: In Indra's words, "she always makes a fight beautiful".
- Flower Motifs: Red flowers in general.
- Green Thumb: She can make huge flowers grow, and their spores can either put you to sleep or poison you.
- Noblewoman's Laugh: And how.
- Prehensile Hair
- Psycho Electro
- Rapunzel Hair
- Reality Warper: Of sorts. She seems to have the power to send people from Tenkuukai to Earth, as one of her flowers traps Shurato in Tokyo.
- Superpower Lottery: C'mon, how many powers does this woman have?
Fudou Wisdom King Akaranata
- All Your Powers Combined: Comes back to fight a second time Shurato and his companions by absorbing the essences of Kundalini and Trylo.
- Animal Motifs: Bats
- Hero Killer: Manages to kill both Saras and Ryoma. The latter gets better, tho.
- Mega Manning: He can copy others's moves
- Psychic Powers: Specially Mind over Matter
- Red and Black and Evil All Over
- The Rival: Considers himself as Ryoma's, since the former Fudo-Myoh was defeated by Ryoma's predecessor.
Earth Emperor Hailah
Sun Emperor Gantera
- Animal Motifs: Horses
- Battle Boomerang
- BrotherSister Team
- Creepy Twins: With his sister Santera.
- Dance Battler: Sorta. His and Santera's moves usually involve strange contortions and graceful movements.
- Wonder Twin Powers
Moon Empress Santera
- Animal Motifs: Horses
- Battle Boomerang
- BrotherSister Team
- Creepy Twins: with Gantera
- Dance Battler: See Above
- Wonder Twin Powers
Fire Emperor Kubilah
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Well, she is a pre-teen and her brother is an Idiot Hero. She's more pleasant and worried about her brother than many other examples, though.
- Old Master: Is a well-respected martial artist, and trained both Shurato and Gai.
- House Wife: As Shurato's mother
- Ascended Extra: Has a larger role in the OAV.
- Cool Big Sis: Gai's older sister, was this to Shurato.
- Girl Next Door
- Promotion to Parent: She helped her dad to raise Gai, since the Kuroki matriarch died when they were very young.
- Reality Warper: After Gai's death, Mina missed him so much that her lonely emotions started acting up and activated some kind of power, giving birth to Skrimir the God of Harmony. It's... complicated.