This is a list of characters from the Left Behind book series and its related adaptations and spinoffs.
An airliner pilot who lost his wife and son to the Rapture. Becomes one of the founding members of the Tribulation Force.
- Author Avatar, with a dash of compensating for something: The guy's surname is Steele, for crying out loud. Fred Clark specifically identifies him as the avatar for LaHaye.
- Final Girl: Rayford survives the tribulation by the skin of his teeth.
- Insistent Terminology: 'Captain'' Rayford Steele. Always Captain Steele. While the character doesn't explicitly insist on it, the author is very careful to write his name this way when being addressed by others.
- Jerkass: Comes off as one quite a bit. He does get some humanizing touches throughout the series, and he even gets blatantly called out on his asshole tendencies in one book to counterbalance this.
- Overprotective Dad: Subverted in that he just lets Buck come over and wait to talk to Chloe about his supposedly two-timing her and doesn't help Chloe in the slightest in her wanting to get rid of Buck.
- The Scapegoat: Was made into this when Carpathia was assassinated, when clear evidence showed that Chaim Rosenzweig was the real assassin.
The daughter of Rayford Steele who gets left behind, becoming a founding member of the Tribulation Force and the wife of Buck Williams.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Blond-haired in the books and the 2014 movie, became dark-haired in the 2000-2005 films.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: After Chloe is captured by the GC, among the things the GCNN report is that she was expelled from her university for making threats against the faculty, aborted two fetuses (with another daughter dying under unknown circumstances), and naming her son Jesus Savior Williams.
- Big Sister Instinct: Early on before the Rapture starts, Chloe is very caring about her younger brother Raymie and takes him to the mall for some fun. She spends a good chunk of her screen time frantically searching the city trying to find him.
- Characterization Marches On: In the beginning of the series, we're told that she studies Computer Science at Stanford. In the very next book, she needs Buck to show her how to set up an email address.
- The Chick: The only female member of the Tribulation Force.
- Chickification: Related to the above. Chloe returns as a "Glorified" in the last book of the series, but the process seems to have dulled her drive, if not her skills, considerably.
- Hyper-Competent Sidekick: While the boys are off looking at things and calling themselves heroes, Chloe sets up and runs a commodity co-op system to make sure dwindling resources go where they are most needed. By the time she's caught by the Global Community, she's coordinating about a fifth of what's left of the global economy.
- Incessant Music Madness: Was subject to listening to "Hail Carpathia" all night in her cell when she was captured by the GC. She gets to give some of her own when she sings some Christian hymns in her solitary confinement cell, which annoys a GC guard.
Cameron "Buck" Williams
A newsmagazine reporter who witnessed the Rapture on the same flight Rayford was the pilot of. Becomes one of the founding members of the Tribulation Force.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Blond in the books, became brown or dark-haired in the films.
- Dirty Coward: He finds out about the conspiracy well before it takes power, but instead of exposing it he goes straight to Carpathia to beg for protection. He goes on with this even when Carpathia openly admits he's the one behind it.
- Do Not Call Me "Paul": An inversion: in Kingdom Come, he goes by his actual name Cameron, as in the Millennium there is nothing for him to "buck".
- Informed Ability: His writing skills, at least early on. Later, we do get to see some of his actual writing in universe, and it is somewhat mediocre.
- Intrepid Reporter: Something of an Informed Attribute - he rarely asks useful questions, he writes in Purple Prose, and he buries stories out of self-preservation.
- My Girl Is Not a Slut: One of Chloe's most frequently mentioned attributes is her virginity; both she and Buck are virgins when they begin dating, and remain as such until they are married.
- Not What It Looks Like: Chloe accused Buck of two-timing her because of her encounter with a fellow female co-worker outside his apartment delivering stuff and talking to her fiancee on the phone, assuming that Buck was her fiancee. Fortunately this got straightened out.
- Official Couple: He and Chloe were meant to be this from Day One.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Carpathia sees through his "George Oreskovitch" routine. Twice.
- Voice of the Resistance: Second to Tsion Ben-Judah's, his online publication The Truth disseminates the information that the Global Community-controlled press doesn't want the general public to know about Nicolae Carpathia.
A pastor who was left behind due to his unbelief in God. Becomes one of the founding members of the Tribulation Force.
- Alliterative Name: Bruce Barnes
- Hypocrite: For a pastor, he was dabbling more in his own lusts and interests than he was in pursuing his own faith. At least he was willing to admit that was what caused him to be left behind with the unbelievers.
- Race Lift: Was Caucasian in the books, made African-American in the films.
- Sacrificial Lamb: In Tribulation Force he becomes the first member of the Tribulation Force to die.
A rabbi who during the Tribulation found the proof that Jesus Christ was the prophesied Messiah of the Jews. Becomes a member of the Tribulation Force.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Earned the ire of his fellow Israelis by declaring that Jesus is the Messiah, wanted in the murders of his wife and stepchildren, and accused of "fleecing his flock" millions of Nicks.
- Badass Preacher: In Armageddon, when he turns over leadership of Petra to Chaim Rosenzweig so he can preach Jesus Christ to the Jews remaining in Jerusalem while helping them to defend their city against the Global Community Unity Army on the day of Jesus' second coming.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: In the Millennial Kingdom, the Egyptian people peacefully reinstate democracy. Tsion is sent there by The Theocracy to talk them into reconsidering, and does so by... shouting over everybody, not letting them get a word in edgewise, and ordering that they demolish the parliament building and replace it with a temple.
- Voice of the Resistance: During the Tribulation, his name became synonymous with the Tribulation Force preaching true biblical Christianity that Christians were pejoratively called "Judah-ites".
The scientist who came up with the Miracle Gro that got bartered for a seven-year peace treaty. Becomes a member of the Tribulation Force.
- HeelFace Revolving Door: Chaim Rosenzweig is torn between his friendship with Tsion Ben-Judah and his loyalties to Nicolae Carpathia. It is only after assassinating Carpathia and fleeing Israel that Chaim puts his faith in God.
- Omnidisciplinary Scientist: Nominally a botanist, but also skilled at metallurgy and very knowledgeable about the minutiae of Cold War era diplomatic history. In general, the other putative good guys go to him when they need anything explained.
- Significant Anagram: His alter ego Micah, which is an anagram of Chaim.
- Sixth Ranger: Never quite a part of the Trib Force core team, although he sticks around for the duration.
Mac McCullumRayford's co-pilot when he was working for Carpathia. Later became Carpathia's main pilot until faked his own death to escape into the underground with the Tribulation Force.
- Some Call Me "Tim": His real first name is Montgomery.
AlbieA former Middle East arms dealer who became a believer.
- Meaningful Name: Albie is actually the initials of his hometown Al Basrah.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: We don't get to find out what his full name is.
Abdullah SmithMac's co-pilot when he was working for Carpathia, who later faked his own death to escape into the underground with the Tribulation Force.
- Broken Bird: He starts off as a Muslim, but when his wife Yasmine and their two children, Bahira and Zaki become Christians, they leave him following one argument too many. This drives Abdullah into a state of depression, where he loses himself in booze and women, eventhough he wants his family back.
- Deadpan Snarker: Mostly to McCullum in the form of one liners.
- The Pilot: Ends up doing more flying than Rayford does.
Ken RitzA charter pilot who was working for the Tribulation Force.
- I'll Take That as a Compliment: Rayford tells him in the Dramatic Audio that he'd be on the Most Wanted List for feminists for the type of things he says about Hattie. All Ken asks for is a copy of the list so he can send it to his mother.
- The Pilot: Also ends up logging more flight hours than Rayford, although less than Abdullah.
- Acquired Poison Immunity: Subverted big time. He contracts the poison used to kill Hattie's baby from Hattie herself and later dies from it.
Leah RoseA former nurse working at Brigham Young Hospital, who becomes a member of the Tribulation Force.
- Broken Bird: Prior to becoming the head nurse at Brigham Young Hospital, Leah Rose had quite the checkered past. From a broken household to a teenage drug addict who slept around, aborted a pregnancy and nearly killed herself several times before she finally cleaned herself up, got her GED and after getting married, her husband put her through nursing school and the pair adopted two boys. After their children were taken in the Rapture, she and her husband tried to kill themselves. Her husband succeeded. She didn't. In the end, she became a believer.
- The Pilot: Logs about as much flight time as Rayford does.
- Some Call Me "Tim": His full name is Tyrola Mark Delanty.
David HassidThe tech guy in New Babylon working as a mole for the Tribulation Force.
- The Smart Guy: A techie.
Gustaf Zuckermandel, Jr.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: He is mostly referred to as Z or Zeke.
- The Smart Guy: Mostly working in creating fake IDs, uniforms, and disguises.
Hannah PalemoonA medic in New Babylon who was a believer.
- Braids, Beads and Buckskins: Her name is Hannah Palemoon? Really?
Ming ToyA former prison guard at Buffer in Belgium who is part of the Tribulation Force.
- Faux Action Girl: When she is introduced, a lot is made of her experience as a prison guard with combat skills but from then on, she pretty much divides her time between office work and babysitting.
- Phenotype Stereotype: Another racist name.
Chang WongThe tech guy in New Babylon working as a mole for the Tribulation Force, who is Ming Toy's brother.
- Driven to Suicide: He contemplates suicide when he sees that he has been forced to bear the Mark of the Beast despite being a believer, but David Hassid talks him out of it.
- HeelFace Door-Slam: subverted in his case concerning the Mark of the Beast, as it was forced upon him after his becoming a believer while he was drugged by his parents.
- The Mole: Working as a techie for Carpathia while secretly informing the Tribulation Force of any Global Community activities.
Naomi TiberiasThe tech girl in Petra.
Eleazar TiberiasThe father of Naomi Tiberias.
Dwayne TuttleA member of the Tribulation Force who works as a pilot for the International Commodity Co-op, along with his wife Trudy.
- Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?: Told Leon Fortunato he was the False Prophet straight to his face and lampshaded it. Ended up paying for it.
The flight attendant who worked alongside Rayford Steele as his intended love interest. She later became Nicolae Carpathia's personal assistant and then departed from him to go underground, eventually becoming a believer.
- Butt-Monkey: Dates the Antichrist, bears his child, has a miscarriage, and ends up married to Rayford. Nuff said.
- Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?: She denounces both the Antichrist and the False Prophet in public and is instantly incinerated for it.
- Distressed Damsel: How often she requires somebody to save her.
- Real Women Don't Wear Dresses: More stereotypically feminine than the other main female characters that the authors have more respect for.
Steve PlankThe former editor-in-chief of Global Weekly, who became a believer under the alias of Pinkerton Stephens and an undercover mole.
- Body Horror: He wears an artificial face to hide how disfigured his actual face looks.
- The Bus Came Back: Returned in The Mark, though as his new identity Pinkerton Stephens.
- No One Could Survive That!: Though horribly disfigured, he managed to survive the Wrath of the Lamb earthquake.
- Put on a Bus: In Tribulation Force, when he was hardly heard from since World War III.
- Reports of My Death Were Greatly Exaggerated: He was thought to have been killed during the Wrath of the Lamb Earthquake, but is pretty much alive...yet horribly disfigured, and going by the name Pinkerton Stephens.
- Pre-Mortem One-Liner: Delivers a Good News, Bad News to Elena before he kills her in the Dramatic Audio version of The Remnant.
- You Are in Command Now: Takes over control of the Co-op when Chloe Williams is killed.
Bahira AbabnehThe daughter of Abdullah Smith. She was raptured along with her brother and Abdullah's wife.
- Chaste Hero: The nature of her Glorified body and mind renders her permanently unable to seek a romance with anyone.
- Hollywood Hacking: Has some computer skills, which she employs in Left Beyond to try and sabotage the Omega "mainframe". She succeeds in part, although she fails to notice that the Omega are in fact a distributed system.
- The Chick: The only female founding member of the Millennium Force.
Kenny Bruce WilliamsThe son of Buck and Chloe Williams, conceived after the Rapture, born during the Tribulation, and survived through the Battle of Armageddon.
- Dead Guy Junior: He was named after Buck and Chloe's compatriots Ken Ritz and Bruce Barnes.
- I Want My Mommy!: In the Dramatic Audio version of Armageddon when he learns from his dad that his mom died and went to be with Jesus.
- Not What It Looks Like: Kenny gets involved in a situation where he is framed for being a traitor of the Millennium Force. It turns out that the whole thing was the work of Qasim Marid, The Mole who was working for The Other Light.
Raymie SteeleThe son of Rayford Steele and his first wife Irene, who was raptured along with his mother.
- Chaste Hero: The nature of his Glorified body and mind renders him permanently unable to seek a romance with anyone.
- Hostage for MacGuffin: In Left Beyond he is captured by the Omega's minions in order to study the Angel that will manifest and attempt to free him. The Angel succeeds, and Raymie leaves none the wiser.
Zaki AbabnehThe son of Abdullah Smith. He was raptured along with his sister and Abdullah's wife.
- Chaste Hero: The nature of his Glorified body and mind renders him permanently unable to seek a romance with anyone.
Becomes the Supreme Potentate of the Global Community. The Antichrist of the series.
- The Antichrist: That's literally his job. His plan seems to be to follow Biblical prophecies to the letter and hope that somehow the conclusion isn't foregone.
- Berserk Button: Don't you dare call Nicolae "impotent"!
- Big Bad: At least until Satan shows up personally.
- Broken Pedestal: Increasingly becomes this to the world when they slowly begin to see through his original noble character facade just how evil he really is.
- But for Me, It Was Tuesday: Dismisses Hattie's death as 'cooked a harmless woman with a big mouth.'
- Came Back Wrong: Carpathia's resurrection involves him being possessed by Satan himself.
- Dead Guy on Display: Was this during his wake right before his publicly-seen "resurrection".
- Drunk with Power: Nicolae becomes this post-indwelling, until Satan comes out temporarily to remind him that he is just a shell when Nicolae gets too big for his britches.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: He treats his mentor Viv Ivins like a beloved aunt, but post-indwelling, when Ivins sits on his throne, she is put in the doghouse until a year before the Glorious Appearing, when Nicolae forgives her. In the Dramatic Audio, though, Ivins gets crushed by a hailstone during the seventh Bowl Judgment, and he just casually shrugs off her death.
- Face of an Angel, Mind of a Demon: He's described as being very handsome and well-mannered, which prevents others from seeing him for the monster he is.
- Faux Affably Evil: He's very charming and persuasive, which allows him to win over the people of the world, but beneath the facade lies a cold and callous manipulator with a God complex.
- Has Two Daddies: Through the nature of genetic engineering, two gay men had their altered sperm impregnated into Nicolae's mother. They were both killed off when Nicolae no longer needed them.
- How the Mighty Have Fallen: Near the end of Glorious Appearing, he ends up having to kneel before Jesus Christ and confess that He is Lord.
- If You Die, I Call Your Stuff: After executing both Todd-Cothran and Stonagal, Nicolae is the sole inheritor of both their estates. When the children of both men dispute the claim, Nicolae simply pays them off under the condition that they do not contest the will.
- The Insomniac: Before being indwelt by Satan, people comment that Nicolae never seems to sleep as he is often too busy. After he is indwelt he never has to sleep at all and remains awake for 3 and 1/2 years.
- Large Ham: His moment of resurrecting Leon Fortunato from the dead in the Dramatic Audio gets pretty hammy.
- Perpetual-Motion Monster: One of the perks of being possessed by Satan is that Nicolae no longer needs to sleep, drink or eat; the evil power of Satan providing all of his needs. When Satan leaves his body, all of this is immediately canceled and Nicolae becomes a shriveled, emaciated barely-living cadaver.
- Power Glows: When New Babylon is plunged into darkness, Nicolae emits a small aura of light so that his inner circle can find their way out.
- Reluctant Ruler: Since Fortunato taught him out to feign humility, Carpathia offers token resistance to the role of Secretary-General of the U.N. Only when he accepts do things go downhill.
- The Sociopath: He has a very inflated ego, is completely incapable of feeling remorse or empathy, and effortlessly manipulates others.
- Textual Celebrity Resemblance: Described as a "Young Robert Redford" in earlier printings of the books, which provides a more detailed picture than we get for the appearance of many characters, though he is also described in detail when he first appears. Later prints compare him to Brad Pitt.
- Too Dumb to Live: He fulfills Scriptural prophecy about himself to a T without any deviation, thinking that he's going to succeed against God and Jesus Christ despite growing evidence that it isn't.
- You Have No Idea Who You're Dealing With: Post-indwelling, Carpathia promises that things for those who call him Antichrist will get much worse.
Leon FortunatoOriginally the Supreme Commander of the Global Community, later became the High Reverend Father of Carpathianism. The False Prophet of the series.
- Butt-Monkey: Gets at least one moment per book to look like an idiot, and usually gets himself hurt in the process.
- Death from Above: Leon Fortunato is imbued by Satan with the ability to call lightning and pillars of fire from the sky. An incredibly useful ability he uses all of two times. After killing Hattie he keeps finding excuses not to do it.
Peter MathewsThe leader of Enigma Babylon One World Faith during the Tribulation.
- Feather Flechettes: His death was with sharp feathers from an ice sculpture made of him.
- Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies: Her fate in the Dramatic Audio presentation, as she is killed by a giant hailstone.
Suhail AkbarThe Security and Intelligence Chief of the Global Community.
- Ambiguously Gay: Sounds a tad fruity in the Dramatic Audio presentation.
- It Is Pronounced Tropay: He is very insistent on the actual pronunciation of his name.
- It's Not Porn, It's Art: How he defends his highly-detailed metal nude statue of the late Antichrist as a memorial.
- Despair Event Horizon: His getting Ramon Santiago killed when he spilled the beans about something overheard from Nicolae's offices led to his suicide.
- Loose Lips: Proved himself to be this by revealing sensitive information shared by Nicolae Carpathia to his close associates...to Nicolae himself.
- Calling Your Attacks: Becomes a victim of an Ironic Echo from Nicolae Carpathia in the Dramatic Audio when he fails in getting Tsion Ben-Judah off the air with his messages.
ElenaA mole working for the Global Community posing as Georgiana Stavros
- Absurdly Bright Light: He emits a very bright shadowless light upon His arrival from heaven.
- Hot God: Naomi Tiberias sees Him as handsome.
- Immune to Bullets: Even a missile does nothing to Him in His current state.
- Large Ham Title: Jesus has some interesting titles.
- Mass "Oh, Crap!": The reaction He gets from those who took the mark of loyalty and worshiped the Antichrist's image during the 'sheep and goats' judgment.
- Omniglot: He can supernaturally speak to people in their own languages.
- One Hit Poly Kill: Jesus' WMD is The Word Of God.
- Only I Can Kill Him: Jesus is the only one who can defeat Nicolae, Leon, and Satan.
- Person of Mass Destruction: His Word alone can kill many people en masse.
- Power Glows: He is literally "the Light of the world".
- Pre-Mortem One-Liner: "I AM WHO I AM" (cue massive pwnage of the Antichrist's forces). He later does this to The Other Light in Kingdom Come.
- Words Can Break My Bones: Jesus' Words can split you right open and turn you into a gory mess, if you happen to be opposing Him during the Battle of Armageddon. His Words even caused the three fallen angels — Ashtaroth, Baal, and Cankerworm — to instantly incinerate and become ashes in seconds.
- You Are in Command Now: Turns over the kingdom to God the Father at the end of the Millennium.
Eli and MoisheThe two witnesses
- Badass Preacher: They preach, and kill, and do little else.
- Dead Guy on Display: Remained dead and unburied for 3 1/2 days before they were resurrected.
- Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?: Constantly denounced Carpathia as Antichrist, but were spared death until the days of their preaching have ended, according to The Word of God.
- Your Days Are Numbered: Literally in their case, as they can only prophesy for 1260 days before they are killed.
- How the Mighty Have Fallen: Jesus recites Satan's boast in Isaiah 14:13-14 right back at him while adding verse 15 to declare his fate.
- Light Is Not Good: Lampshaded, in that the authors think that Lucifer means "iron light" instead of "lightbringer" in Latin.
- Monster from Beyond the Veil: Becomes this after he possesses Nicolae, making him more evil and granting him supernatural powers.
- The Resenter: Satan didn't take being in the shadow of God's only begotten Son very well.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Becomes this during the Millennium when Michael the archangel bounds him up and locks him away in the bottomless pit.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: transforms into a lion, and a snake, and in a dream sequence he turns into a seven-headed dragon.
Marilena CarpathiaThe mother of Nicolae Carpathia who appears only in the prequel stories.
- An Offer You Can't Refuse: In the prequel novel The Rising, Marilena Carpathia wishes to become a mother. Enter Viviana Ivansova (Viv Ivins), who makes the following proposal to her: join our group and swear loyalty to her lord, and she will have the baby she so desperately desire. Marilena should have read the fine print about what her son will become in the future.
The wife of Rayford Steele
- Crisis of Faith: Irene Steele experiences this before switching to New Hope Baptist Church.
- I Warned You: Turns out that she and her church were right all along about the Rapture.
Verna ZeeWas Lucinda Washington's replacement as the editor-in-chief of the Chicago Global Weekly office.
- Composite Character: In Left Behind: Tribulation Force II, Verna Zee is combined with African-American Lucinda Washington, the previous editor-in-chief of the Global Weekly office in Chicago.
- Race Lift: Became a black woman in the 2000-2005 films. See also Composite Character.
Buck Williams' assistant in the 2000-2005 Cloud Ten Pictures film series.
- Captain Ersatz: Of Alice Nelson from the Left Behind books, both of whom were mistaken for Buck Williams' fiancee by Chloe.
- Adaptational Badass: Was made out to be somewhat more sinister in the movie version of the first book.
- The Chessmaster: His Project People's Victory was for the benefit of him possibly ruling the world with his created "puppet ruler", the Antichrist.
- Adaptation Name Change: His last name is simply Cothran in the films.
- Adaptational Nationality: Was British in the books, became American in the 2000 film.
The President Of The United States at the time that the Tribulation started.
- No One Could Survive That!: Survives a plunge from a high-rise office in Left Behind: World At War.
- Race Lift: Caucasian in the books, became African-American in the films.
- Taking You with Me: Near the end of Left Behind: World At War, President Gerald Fitzhugh attempts to take down Nicolae Carpathia by having a missile being fired directly toward him while he was meeting Carpathia in his office. Unfortunately, Carpathia survives.
- Dying Curse: According to T.M. Delanty, upon finding out that his brother Samuel was killed while escorting Hattie Durham, Bo Hansen got wasted in a bar, pulled out a gun, cursed Nicolae, God and the world, and killed himself.
- If You Die, I Call Your Stuff: Attempts to get his hands on the wealth Ken Ritz had stashed at Palwaukee Airport when the plague of locust demons strikes.
Cendrillon JospinA nonbeliever in the Millennial Kingdom who is the first to "die of unbelief" at age 100 and going to Hell, despite being universally liked and shown to be a genuinely good person.
- Friend to All Children: THOUSANDS of people that Cendrillon worked with when they were kids show up to pay their respects at her funeral. Unfortunately, Cameron Williams promptly hijacks the funeral and turns it into an altar call.
- Posthumous Character: The first time she shows up in the narration is when Rayford announces that she has died.
Enoch DumasThe leader of The Place
- The Bus Came Back: Returned in Glorious Appearing.
- Put on a Bus: In The Remnant, when he and all the members of The Place fled Chicago before it was nuked.
Mainyu MazdaAlbie's black market rival in the Middle East, who claims no loyalty to the Global Community, yet collects bounty for the disloyal.
- Tattooed Crook: Pretty much his schtick, as he gets an M tattoo for every person he killed, sometimes even getting them in advance, as Albie unfortunately found out.