The Classmates and Fiends of Last Year and their tropes.
- All-Stereotype Cast: In which the original five actually fit the horror genre, since it takes place in the 90s.
- This Loser Is You: Subverted. All the survivors have admirable and redeemable qualities to them. Even the Alpha Bitch has a Hidden Heart of Gold.
- Badass Normal: All of them really aren't afraid of what they're going up against in the nightmare.
- Common Character Classes: Four of them, in which the survivors can select from the start. Most of these items require gathering materials/scrap scattered throughout every single map. These are the basic classes.
- Assault: Lead Pipe, Helmet, Molotov and Baseball Bat.
- Scout: Tracker, Smoke Grenade, Adrenaline and Shotgun.
- Medic: First Aid Kit, Pipe Bomb, Belt Flashlight and Shocker.
- Technician: Toolbox, Proximity Mine, Pain Pills and Flamethrower.
- Team Survival: Played straight. Just work together and everyone will survive from the nightmare.
Amber"I'm really good with my hands. And skip the dumb jokes, please."
- Voiced by: Erica Lindbeck
- The Ace: Pretty, popular, smart, and as the game shows, a pretty damn good athlete.
- Alpha Bitch: Pretty? Check. Popular? Check. Endless stream of sarcasm and rude remarks? Check.
- The B Grade: Being given an A minus is apparently enough for her to celebrate the offending teacher's demise.
- Deadpan Snarker: Nearly every sentence that comes out of her mouth is sarcastic disdain for her current situation. Even if she's been caught in a bear trap or about to be executed, she'll just be insulting the Nightmare's apparent lack of creativity.
- Defiant to the End: Her snark never abates, with her insulting the Fiends as she's getting set up for the kill.
- Determinator: She's worked incredibly hard to get to medical school after graduating. And since she knows it'll all go to waste if she dies in the Nightmare, she'll stop at nothing to escape.
- Insufferable Genius: One of East Side High's brightest students. And she'll be sure to mention that every single chance she gets.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Despite her abrasive attitude, she is just as willing to risk her life to save the other survivors and expresses genuine concern for their wellbeing. She'll also sincerely thank them if they save her.
- Kick the Dog: When discovering the dead body of a teacher, occasionally she'll say this:
Chad"Mess with the Chad, you get the horns!"
- Voiced by: Noshir Dalal
- Blood Knight: Always ready to fight the Fiends whenever possible.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Implied. Though he has terrible grades, including a C+ in shop class, he's still able to construct complex gadgets such as bombs, tasers, and flamethrowers with limited resources and tools. Given that he's been described as an academic delinquent, his C+ may have come from misbehavior rather than bad work.
- Dumb Blonde: Sometimes forgets about what needs to be done.
- Hopeless with Tech: Implied by his remark about hating computers on the Library map. He's just as capable of hacking computers as the other students, though.
- Lovable Jock: He's a team player who'll do whatever it takes to make sure everyone escapes the nightmare.
- Meaningful Name: A chad, in internet slang terms, is a stereotypical jock who's handsome but also arrogant and rude. Though he's much nicer than you may expect, this is a pretty fair description of Chad.
- Misspelling Out Loud: One of his voice lines after killing a Fiend.Chad: You're dead, bro! D-E-D!
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Swears the most out of all the survivors.
Nick"I'm gonna go full LARP on your ass!"
- Voiced by: Michael Johnston
- Geek Physiques: The skinniest, palest member of the group. Doesn't stop him from laying a beatdown on the Fiends.
- Gentleman and a Scholar: He refers to himself as a genius.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Downplayed. Though he's determined to escape the Nightmare, at the same time, he's also the most curious about its supernatural aspects and tries to find some science to its inner workings.
- Proud to Be a Geek: Along with being a "Mathlete" as well.
Raj"Teamwork makes the dream work!"
- Voiced by: Ritesh Rajan
Sam"Let's stick together this time."
- Voiced by: Melissa Hutchison
- Apologizes a Lot: Likely a result of her sheltered upbringing.
- Friend to All Living Things: The only member of the group besides Nick (who's more interested in training them as minions) who's friendly towards the rats skittering around the Nightmare. She also owns a pet bunny and aspires to become a veterinarian after graduating.
- Nice Girl: She's actually adorkable in her own unique way.
- Womanchild: Downplayed. She's not an adult yet, but she occasionally behaves a bit young for her age due to her sheltered nature (such as threatening to "tell" or scream when a Fiend attacks her). She's also the most averse to using mature language.
Troy"Leaving you behind isn't part of the plan."
- Voiced by: Zeno Robinson
- Angry Black Man: Averted. He warns the Fiends he'll fuck them up.
- Black Dude Dies First: Entirely possible in-game, though not enforced by any means.
- Genre Savvy: He's seen his fair share of horror movies.
- Only Sane Man: Has a serious personality unlike the others.
- The Leader: Of the group of students trapped in the nightmare.
- The Strategist: Actually comes up with all the escape plans.
- Token Minority: Currently the only African-American character in the game.
- Ax-Crazy: All of them are murderous psychopaths hunting down students.
- Big-Bad Ensemble: The Classmates face three different Fiends per match, rather than facing off with one.
- Humanoid Abomination: Though they appear to be normal humans (with the exception of the Spider), they're all able to disappear and reappear from green mist at will, and possess powerful supernatural abilities. In addition, whenever one of them is killed, they always eventually come back to life.
- The Voiceless: None of them say a word in English, instead electing to express themselves through crazed laughter, furious grunting, or animalistic bellowing.
- Voiced by: Ray Chase
- Armor-Piercing Slap: He can definitely do this to nearby survivors.
- Ankle Drag: He does this in his ambush if an unsuspecting student happens to be too close to a vent.
- Bandaged Face: Most of his face is covered in bloody bandages.
- Creepy Blue Eyes: The only Fiend to have visible pupils.
- Eye Scream: Nearly all of his executions involve this.
- Fingore: He's missing the tip of his right index finger.
- Flipping the Bird: He performs this during his Threat emote and when chosen for the Fiend deck.
- Laughing Mad: He laughs constantly.
- Shear Menace: Uses a pair of oversized scissors as his weapon.
- Slashed Throat: One of his executions results in this.
- Sociopathic Soldier: It's implied that he used to be in the military, judging by his dog tags and the emblem on his vest.
- Token Evil Teammate: While all the Fiends are evil, the official game website states that the other Fiends find the Strangler's presence to be "disconcerting."
- Weapon of Choice: A pair of large scissors and a chain.
- What a Drag: Drags survivors along the ground towards him with his chain.
- You Will Not Evade Me: Can grab Classmates from a fair distance away with a chain to pull them towards him.
- Voiced by: Elias Toufexis
- Almighty Janitor: Is implied to be the school janitor, judging by his appearance.
- An Axe to Grind: He wields a simple woodsman's ax.
- Death from Above: The Slasher can ambush the kids by dropping in from the skylights, planting his axe blade in their faces for an insta-kill.
- Evil Laugh: Downplayed. He chuckles, only for a brief moment.
- Expy: Judging by his appearance and choice of weapon, he appears to be based on Jack Nicholson as Jack Torrance.
- Jack-of-All-Stats: A rough balance between the mobility of the Strangler and the high health and damage output of the Giant.
- Mascot Villain: The most common character in Last Year advertisements. It's also implied that the Slasher is either the Nightmare's preferred form or its Dragon, as he appeared in all victory and defeat cutscenes regardless of who the Killer's playing before they were removed for the Steam release.
- Only One Name: "Bill", but obviously nobody calls him that...
- Weapon of Choice: An axe.
- Voiced by: Jon Olson
- Bald of Evil: Not a hair on his head and he has an unstoppable desire to mash teenagers into paste.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Doesn't have a weapon like the other Fiends. Unfortunately for the Students, he doesn't need one.
- Barrier-Busting Blow: The Giant has the option to ambush by smashing through a wall, instantly killing the survivor unlucky or careless enough to be in range.
- Metronomic Man Mashing: One of the Giant's execution moves is him grabbing a survivor by the ankle and repeatedly slamming their body against the floor.
- Mighty Glacier: The toughest killer of the three - and also the slowest. However, his charging ability compensates for this slightly.
- Punched Across the Room: Sort of. The Giant can grab a survivor and throw them quite a bit away, dealing a heavy amount of damage to them that, sometimes, can drop them to zero health with a punch immediately after leading to an easy kill.
- Voiced by: ???
She's the first Fiend to be added after the game's initial launch with Chapter 1: Afterdark.
- Action Bomb: Due to her Defeat Equals Explosion property, a cunning player can use The Spider to force the Classmates to learn a valuable lesson in spacing.
- Ambiguous Gender: The Classmates always refer to her with male pronouns, as they do with all other Fiends.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: Per the official website, it's the living embodiment of the fear of spiders.
- Animalistic Abomination: Despite looking like one, its not an actual spider, instead being the corporeal manifestation of arachnophobia itself.
- Antlion Monster: Can ambush Classmates by bursting out of the ground and dragging them into pits.
- Defeat Equals Explosion: The Spider's abdomen swells up and explodes in a spray of venom upon death.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: The first Fiend that isn't a human, but a giant spider.
- Fragile Speedster: With unlimited sprint energy, the Spider is easily the fastest Fiend. However, she also has the second lowest health.
- Long-Range Fighter: The first Fiend that can damage Classmates from a distance (excluding the Strangler's ability to pull Classmates towards him).
- Off with His Head!: The Spider's preferred method of killing - it often crushes a Classmate's head with its legs or devours it whole.
- Poisonous Person: The Spider can spew venom onto students that deals damage over time. When the Spider is defeated, it explodes into a spray of venom that harms everyone in range.
- Spiders Are Scary: Perhaps the Anthropomorphic Personification of this trope.
- Voiced by: ???
He's the second Fiend to be added after the game's initial launch with Chapter 2: Resurrection.