Langrisser Re:Incarnation Tensei is a reboot of the Langrisser series, introducing new characters in El Sallia.The characters are divided between 4 factions:
- The Vigilantes, a small group of knights located in the city of Borcelaine and led by Ansel Balladur. Among them include Ares, the main protagonist of the game.
- The Army of Light, a Church Militant group led by the witch Jessica and the Bishop Lugner Menteur. Their goal is to maintain peace in the continent by fighting the Empire and the Army of Darkness. They express interest in the holy sword Langrisser, wielded by Ares.
- The Gresden Empire, a massive country led by the Emperor Autokrato IV and Prime Minister Florentia Justice. They want to accomplish the "Elysium Project" in response to the massive ocean rise in the beginning of the game, and began to invade several countries for that goal.
- The Army of Darkness, who regroups the outcasts and non-humans who were rejected by the society. Their leader is the Demon King Boser, and their objective is shrouded in mystery.
- Five-Man Band
- Little Hero, Big War: Getting caught in a battle between the Army of Light and the Empire caused them to flee, thus starting the plot.
- True Companions: The five members never part ways in any route.
- Anti-Hero: The Empire Route as a whole paints him as this towards the Army of Light.
- Anti-Villain: In the Dark Route.
- Badass Cape: A red one.
- Bi the Way: He can have a relationship with any of the male characters.
- The Chosen One: According to the Army of Light because Langrisser chose him, which is rather ironic since he's a descendant of Boser.
- The Hero
- Hero with Bad Publicity: Become this in the Empire Route.
- Heroic Albino
- Humble Hero: Even though he was chosen by Langrisser, he doesn't like to brag about it and thinks of it as a useful weapon.
- Take a Third Option: At the end of the Light Route, when he is presented with the Sadistic Choice of letting his sister -and Boser- live, or killing her -thus sealing him- to end his legacy. He instead uses Langrisser to seal half of Boser's stigma between himself and his sister to prevent his awakening, since as her brother, he's also a descendant of Boser too.
- He can refuse to pick a side for his sister's sake, leading into the Independence Route.
- The Chick
- Childhood Friend Romance: Potentially with Ares.
- Good Samaritan: In several endings, she joins an orphanage to help the orphans of the war.
- Good Shepherd
- The Medic: For the Vigilantes.
- Token Religious Teammate: Downplayed. She's devoted to Lushiris, but doesn't belong to the Army of Light.
- War Is Hell: Loathes war since it causes her to tend to numerous wounded people.
- Amnesiac Hero: She lost her childhood memories.
- Continuity Nod: In one of her conversations with Ares, she told the story of a war which was started because a man saved a priestess, not unlike the beginning of Der Langrisser.
- Cynical Mentor: Downplayed. She is sometimes cold when it comes to war and tactics, but shows a warmer side to her companions.
- Emotionless Girl: Some characters view her as this. Controlling her emotions helps her to have a better grasp of the battlefield.
- Mentor Archetype
- Mentor Ship: She can enter a relationship with her protégé Ares.
- Parental Abandonment
- Raised by Wolves: She was abandoned on an island, and was also raised by a dragon.
- Church Militant: Their army rivals the Empire's in terms of raw power.
- Enemy Mine: With the Army of Darkness in the Independance Route, working together to save the war refugees.
- Fantastic Racism: Their main attitude towards the Army of Darkness. Downplayed in the Independance Route.
- Knight Templar: Show shades of this towards the other factions, even labeling Ares as a heretic when he joins the Empire, regardless of his motives.
- Light Is Not Good: Later chapters shows they can be as cruel as their enemies, as pointed out by Lucretia of all people.
- Mission from God: They fight in the name of their goddess Lushiris.
- Saintly Church: Present themselves as this.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Their goal to maintain peace requires them to destroy any threat to the country, in this case the Empire and later the Army of Darkness.
- Anti-Villain: The Project Elysium requires them to gather any resources as they can to save their own people with the Ark, at the expense of the others.
- The Empire: Big time. Autokrato IV's very first order in the game is to destroy the homeland of Ares to begin the invasion of the country. However, it becomes less tyrannical after Prime Minister Flore's faction comes in to power.
- My Country, Right or Wrong: Several members of the Empire don't want to follow the orders of the Emperor. They execute them anyway since they don't have much of a choice, for the sake of the Elysium Project. Possibly subverted should Ares choose to join the Prime Minister Flore, giving them an opportunity to dethrone the Emperor and completing the project with the help of Langrisser.
- The Needs of the Many: In all routes but the Empire's, since they don't have the power of Langrisser to help them.
- Ominous Floating Castle: The Floating City Esperanza act as their capital city, and the Ark as their headquarters.
- Steam Punk: The only faction who uses vehicles, flying machines and guns in the war.
- Wave Motion Gun: The Railway Gun Gaeser, though it was intended as a deterrent weapon. The Emperor said otherwise.
- Would Not Shoot a Civilian: Played straight in the Empire's route, subverted in the others.
Florentia "Flore" Justice
- Internal Reformist: The faction led by Prime Minister Flore wants to reform the Empire from the inside, with the help of Ares in the Empire Route. They eventually take the reins after the Emperor's death, and put a more benevolent one in its place.
Constanta "Conny" Earhart
Christine "Chris" von Prinz Flanders Poeotia
- NPC: Autokrato is never playable, regardless of the route Ares chooses.
- Ambiguously Evil: Barring the Army of Light, they don't actively harm people and most of their battles are in self-defense.
- Cool Horse: They have wyverns and zombie horses as mounts.
- Dark Is Not Evil: With the exception of Andre and Boser, all of their members are decent people who cares for each other.
- Five-Token Band: Every member come from a different species.
- Hidden Agenda Villain: In the Light and Empire Route, their motives are unknown. When Rozalia accused them of wanting to destroy the world, the very idea made them laugh.
- Not Evil, Just Misunderstood: Since most of them are not humans, the Army of Light views them as a threat since they are affiliated with Boser.
Licorice "Lico" Lovina / Boser
- Demonic Possession: Rather than completely turning into Bozer, it manifests as a split personality.