Kikka the Steadfast
Kikka works as an official guard in one of the villages, trying to provide peace and stability for everyone. She was given the task to cross the lake of Sinnlos together with her partner, Bemelle, in order to help the people living on the other side. She appears stoic, but deep-down cares a lot about everyone's safety.
- Action Girl: Is a guard.
- Always Save the Girl: The Guide accuses Kikka of this if you end up on either Margret's or Lu's routes, although whether this trope is played straight is debatable.
- Beneath the Mask: Her more sensitive side, which she tries to conceal.
- Celibate Hero: ...or she can be played like this if you choose not to romance anyone.
- Heroic BSoD: She has a lot of those moments throughout the game on different routes, considering how traumatizing the journey across Sinnlos is.
- Heroes Love Dogs: Has two wolf dogs.
- Oblivious to Love: On Bemelle's route it's implied that he had interest in Kikka prior to their journey across Sinnlos, so the trope is played straight if you choose to ignore his advances or end up with someone else.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Blue to Bemelle's Red.
- The Stoic: Appears as one, always trying to remain calm and collected even in the most dangerous situations.
- Not So Stoic: Or does she? There are many moments in the game she shows genuine emotions and concern for others
- Took a Level in Idealism: Is implied if you talk to Bemelle while on the island and go down his good route, as Kikka reevaluates the more pragmatic and cynical approach.
Kikka's idealistic and hot-headed partner, a fellow guard.
- Betty and Veronica: Is the Betty to Kikka's Archie, being her partner and hailing from the same village as her. Any of the other romance options, most notably Lu or he Guide, can be the Veronica in this case, as they are both more distant and seemingly mysterious.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Definitely has shades of this. He is a great guy to have around if you want to have some fun.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: He wants everyone to go out of this alive and get visibly pissed if this is somehow threatened.
- Force and Finesse: With Kikka, who is smaller and prefers to use agility rather than force.
- Innocently Insensitive: Kikka describes him as brash, but not intentionally cruel.
- It's All My Fault: Bemelle blames himself for leaving Lu alone if he dies on the island.
- Meaningful Name: His name means "strong as a bear," which applies to Bemelle very well.
- Misery Builds Character: If he survives the game, Kikka comments on how he seemed to become stronger and more determined after the incident, however she still feels the events that took place at the lake Sinnlos trouble him.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Red to Kikka's Blue.
- Tears of Joy: Bemelle has this moment if you pursue him and get the good ending for his romance.
- Third Wheel: Jokes about being one if you decide to invite him on your walk with Lu, potentially ruining your romantic date.
A young woman Kikka and Bemelle meet at the shore, who is also willing to cross the lake.
- Almighty Janitor: Justified. She's well-versed in history and management theory, but most of the workplaces that require such knowledge are taken by people much older than her.
- Ambiguously Gay: She is the Gay Option for Kikka. Her previous relationships with either men or women are not mentioned in the game, which leaves her sexuality up to the player's interpretation.
- Blind Without 'Em: Name-checked but averted. She doesn't see very well without her glasses, but she can function without them.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: Has rather dark skin and fair curly hair.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: A downplayed example. If you decide to talk to Margret while on the island, she will have this moment. She doesn't acknowledge Kikka's attempts to help at first but then opens up to her.
- Non-Action Snarker: She doesn't participate in combat and definitely has shades of this. Bemelle even comments on her snarky remarks if they both survive the first night.
- Took a Level in Badass: Also somewhat downplayed. She is unable to do much, but after leaving the island she generally starts acting more confident.
The Guide / Dour
The enigmatic and cold man who helps those who want to cross the bridge.
- Becoming the Mask: Sort of. The Guide believes he is still capable of feeling sympathy, but because of pretending not to care for so long he finds it very difficult.
- Break Her Heart to Save Her: Oh his route, he would much rather make Kikka go away than let her drag herself into what she has no idea about.
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: If you pursue him as Kikka.
- Consummate Liar: He sounds very convincing when recounting his fake backstory. It helps that there are elements of truth in it.
- Face Stealer:The Guide assumed the appearance of Garvyn and poses as his son.
- Foil: To Bemelle. Bemelle is idealistic and wants to save everyone, while the Guide is pragmatic and doesn't show any concern for the lives of others, which drives the former mad.
- Jerkass: Very much so, especially on his own route.
- Lack of Empathy: He shows no empathy for the people struggling with their hardships.
- Married to the Job: A somewhat complicated example. He acts as the leader of the Nixi and does everything in his power to stop people from distracting Sinnlos, posing as a guide even. The Guide's commitment to his own kind is so strong that he is willing to sacrifice his personal life and any possibility of a loving relationship with Kikka.
- Never Given a Name: He claims that he doesn't have a name and is always referred to as the Guide. In fact, it's a case of Withholding Their Name, as he simply doesn't want to share his true name. It is Dour, by the way.
- Nerves of Steel: The events happening at the lake don't bother him in the slightest. Somewhat justified, as he controls it, although the trope is still here.
- Parental Substitute: Garvyn is believed to be his father by other people, but it's in fact not true and subverted. On the other hand, he himself is this to Lu, according to the bonus chapter.
- Perpetual Frowner: He has a smiling sprite, but it's possible to see it only once or twice throughout the entire game.
- Poor Communication Kills: By his own admission he's not got a lot of people skills, and sometimes that has disastrous consequences. He attempted to persuade Garyvn to leave Sinnlos alone, but failed. He muses that that might have been because of his own poor diplomatic ability. He killed Garvyn in desperation, but all that did was give his species a reputation as horrible monsters— a reputation they now uphold, because they figure after all the humans they've killed diplomacy would be impossible anyway.
- The Stoic: He shows almost no emotions, even in a situation where even the most composed person would.
- Not So Stoic: While not as noticeable and frequent as Kikka, the Guide also has his moments.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: Closer to ice, but still, he has his heartwarming moments.
A mysterious young man whom the group finds at the bridge, all alone and lost. This character has many spoilers associated with him, including some late-game revelations about the lake Sinnlos and its nature. Please, avoid the spoilers unless you've completed his romance route.
- Adorkable: Lu's awkward and shy personality make him this.
- All of the Other Reindeer: He calls himself a black sheep of his village, feeling like he never belonged there and had nobody to look out for him. This even applies after you learn that Lu's a Nix, as he is the back sheep among them.
- Always Save the Girl: It's revealed to be his motivation on his good route, as he is worried about Kikka.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Lu definitely shows shades of this, willing to take a walk right near the shore to watch the Nixi, climbing on trees, and speaking in a confusing manner, causing suspicion from others. Justified, as he is not human.
- The Baby of the Bunch: Lampshaded in one of the possible events on the island, where it's revealed that he's 22, while Kikka is 26 and Bemelle is 28.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: He appears meek and fragile, even noting it himself, but it doesn't stop him from attempting to save the Guide when he is surrounded by the Nixi. Then you also realize what the guy has been through as a Nix, daring to stand against the Nixi law. There's also the fact that he is, in fact, a very gifted shape-shifter, though his character and attitude might not seem like it.
- Dark and Troubled Past: He has this vibe even when you first meet him, but then you slowly start learning about his backstory as a former criminal.
- Then you learn that he is, in fact, a Nix.
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: Has red hair and rather dark skin.
- Driven to Suicide: The Guide suggests it's the case when the group finds his scarf near the shore or when he drowns on his romance route, although, in fact, it could also be the Nixi executing him for talking to humans.
- The Eeyore: Says a lot of things that are either self-deprecating or depressing.
- Healing Factor: On his romance route, Lu is seriously injured.
- His Own Worst Enemy: Admits to hating himself. Lampshaded by the Guide, who claims that Lu's perception of himself is very cynical and it made things complicated despite the guy's talent at magic. He also says that Lu is the only one to believe he is not good enough.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Lu wanted to feel like he was needed back at his village, trying to do anything he can to help and find someone who would care.
- Non-Malicious Monster: On his romance path we learn that Lu is actually a Nix disguised as a human.
- The Quiet One: He definitely is, preferring to keep silent.
- Self-Deprecation: Is really prone to this.Lu: Oh, right! I can't even show gratitude correctly. Of course.
- Smug Smiler: One of his sprites shows him smiling not a genuine, but a rather sarcastic way, making Lu's character particularly hard to read.
- Tearful Smile: Gives Kikka one if you choose to talk to him while on the island.