First main heroine of the manga. Young pagan witch who was recruited to Red Army during the WWII. She is a bit carefree and likes to break rules, but nevertheless a competent officer and a great asset for her comrades as a magic user.
- Action Girl: She does not hesitate using her pistol and her magic skills in combat.
- Bi the Way: She had a boyfriend for a short time until he was KIA in chapter 7, but she did not hesitate to kiss Nadya and pose her as her lover during the Witch Sabbath (even if it was just for cover) and its hinted that they ended up together in the last chapter.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: She can do the things right when push comes to shove, but she likes breaking rules and hates military discipline.
- Magic Knight: Modern example, as she does not hesitate using both her weapon and her spells in action.
- Semi-Divine: Claims to be a descendant of the pagan god Veles (Slavic god of cattle, poets and underworld).
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: Despite her tomboyish character and fashion, she can pass as a girly girl just fine if needed and is knowldgeble in such things as sewing.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: As a descendant of the pagan god Veles, and true to her surname, she can transform to a bear.
- Weapon of Choice: Her Nagant revolver.
Second main heroine and Vasen'kas friend. She is the lieutenant of NKVD (Soviet secret police) and a political officer put in charge of Vasilisa. A young Jewish girl, who finds supernatural things unscientific, despite encountering them on a daily basis.
- Action Girl: She has her badass moments.
- Friendly Sniper: Effectively uses the anti-tank sniper rifle in chapter 3.
- Lipstick Lesbian: Though never stated clearly, her behavior during the last chapter strongly hints for it.
- Meganekko: She wears glasses and looks quite cute with them.
- My Country, Right or Wrong: Or in her case, "Communism, right or wrong". She's a genuine believer in communism and that it could create a better world. She's perfectly aware of the evils Stalin's regime is capable of - as a Jew, she's experienced some personally - but she's a true believer in the ideal and implies that she went on to become a high ranking Party member in part because she wanted to fix the system from within into what it could be.
- Political Officer