open/close all folders
A city-state in the Eastern Reaches that boasts magical supremacy over any other nation in Asagorak. Arguably the center for magical study, the Varian Academy produces some of the best Magi known to history. Varia's dedication to magic is so extreme that those who don't practice magic cannot pass the city walls.
- Birds of a Feather: With Jiruga. Both are confident, independent people, with great proficiency in magic.
- Blue Blood
- Buxom Is Better
- Curbstomp Battle: The very first fight she appears in ends this way, with Maria outright incinerating her opponent and half the entire castle!
- Happily Married: to Jiruga.
- In-Series Nickname: Known as the 'Goddess of Destruction' during her academy days.
- Parental Favoritism: Her favorite child is Cicero.
- Playing with Fire
- Proper Lady
- Mama Bear
- Marry for Love: As a daughter of the royal Marius family, she was expected to marry another member of the nobility. She decided to marry Jiruga for romantic reasons.
- Not a Morning Person
- Older Than They Look: Justified. Looks 20 but is actually 34 years old.
- One-Hit Kill: Her speciality.
- Unskilled, but Strong: She is generally considered a weak mage compared to other adult Varians. What sets her apart from other mages is her ability to concentrate on only one thing; in other words, she's capable of blowing through well over half her mana in a matter of seconds, which makes her capable of casting grossly powerful spells that even master magicians would be unable to match.
- World's Most Beautiful Woman: Among the most beautiful women in all of Varia and a contender for the title.
- Alpha Bitch
- Anti-Role Model: Even her own parents say she sets a bad example for her younger brothers.
- Buxom Is Better: Much like the rest of the Marius family, a great deal of attention is drawn to her chest. Even Reimi herself plays this up, to the point that her first reaction to seeing her mother in almost a year is annoyance because "she's still bigger than me".
- Consummate Liar: She'll lie about almost anything to get what she wants.
- Dangerously Short Skirt: Purposefully invoked.
- Depraved Bisexual: Arguably.
- Establishing Character Moment: Her introduction to the Varian Academy sees her strip and almost rape a fellow student in front of hundreds of people.
- Fille Fatale
- The Gift: Played with. When she's first introduced she definitely appears to have this. In spite of only being a few years older than her younger brothers, she's far more powerful than either of them, is already skilled enough to reach three-star status at the academy, and is widely hailed as the heir of the Marius family. As the story progresses, though, this starts to come into question once her brothers start training properly.
- Green Thumb: Able to use Nature magic, just like her father.
- Manipulative Bitch: Very cunning for her age.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Playing with Fire: Much like her mother, Fire is her natural element. Much unlike her mother, though, Reimi uses exclusively white fire, which trades raw power for control and efficiency.
- Power Perversion Potential
- Proud Beauty
- Spoiled Brat
- Tentacle Rope
- The Unfavorite: In spite of her stellar relationship with her great-grandfather, her own mother is merely neutral towards her while father actively loathes her.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A, when she chooses to wear them.
- Blinded by the Light: A key element of his character development. When he's first introduced he had a bad habit of spamming this with a certain spell, courtesy of The Power of the Sun. While this often caught his opponents off-guard, this became a bad habit as Cicero start to rely on it as a crutch. As he began to start on stronger foes, this stopped working and finally cumulated in a curb-stomp battle courtesy of his own sister. A sign of his character development is him abandoning his old magic altogether to learn Marius magic.
- Bounty Hunter: Becomes this to support his family.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome
- Defiled Forever: Seems to hold this view in his sexual preferences, regarding only virgins as being attractive.
- Family Honor: He's constantly concerned with how his actions reflect upon his family.
- Handsome Lech: Grows into one.
- Hard Work Hardly Works: Played with. He considers himself to be the least talented of his siblings and in spite of all his effort his introduction to Varia is a wake-up call for the boy. Once he actually starts training properly, though, he begins to improve with startling speed.
- Intergenerational Friendship: with Silas.
- It's All About Me: Develops into this because of Ilyia Halistein's influence.
- Protagonist Journey to Villain: His current character arc.
- Shock and Awe: Lightning is his natural element.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Over the timeskip.
- Villain Protagonist: Arguably, by the time he goes to Hebecil.
- War for Fun and Profit: His main motivation for building influence in Hebecil and getting involved there.
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: His Marius magic is completely dependent on his emotional state.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Thanks to his more relaxed training regime and being more naturally gifted than his older brother, he can come across as this.
- Shock and Awe: Much like Cicero, his natural element is Lightning.
- Aristocrats Are Evil: Anyone who is not a Blue Blood is likely to consider him less than pleasant.
- Arranged Marriage: Possibly
- Childhood Friend: To Syrene.
- Freudian Excuse: He's such a jerk to non-magic users because his family was murdered by "normals" armed with guns illegally smuggled into Varia.
- Gentleman Wizard
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass
- Genius Sweet Tooth
- The Smart Guy: A member of the "Intelligent Trio"
- Smart People Wear Glasses
- Weak, but Skilled: He has a pitiful mana pool, it takes him months if not years to learn even one new spell, and his natural talent is almost non-existent. By all indications, he should barely be able to pass for a one-star mage. He's capable of dueling even fellow three-star, however, because what he lacks in power is made up for through his astounding knowledge, creativity, and experience.
Cierra MariusSister to Maria Marius, Cierra is an idealistic woman who's magical talents didn't get her as far as her sister in the Varian Academy. Despite this, her goals and aspirations are both noble and selfless, and she has great plans for the world at large.
- Actual Pacifist
- Barrier Warrior
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Her return to Varia sees Cierra showing a much harsher and hostile side of herself.
- Blue Blood: Technically, but she doesn't allow it to define her.
- D-Cup Distress: Subverted, as she isn't upset at the attention she gets, merely confused by it.
- Friend Versus Lover: Hinted at subtly in relation to her sister and Jiruga.
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- The Heart: To Atropos.
- The Idealist
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness
- Indifferent Beauty: Doesn't understand Sorathelia's - or anyone's, for that matter - value of her good looks.
- In-Series Nickname: Was known as the 'Goddess of Protection' during her academy days.
- The Leader: She's a Type II to Atropos.
- Light Feminine Dark Feminine: The Light to Sorathelia's dark, as she's gentle and idealistic where Sorathelia is blunt and cynical.
- Not So Different: To Jiruga. Their goals and idealism are certainly similar, but she seems to be a lot more accepting of people.
- Older Than They Look: Justified. Looks 21 but is actually 35 years old.
- Psychic Powers
- Shipper on Deck: Subtly, towards The Gentleman and Sorathelia, instigating their spontaneous engagement with no real excuse.
- Stepford Smiler: Revealed to be one when she returns to Varia.
- Will Not Tell a Lie: She'll never outright lie (or even tell a half-truth) to anyone if she can avoid it.