The cast of the anime version of KoihimeMusou.
Click here for their appearances in the visual novel series.
- Blood Brothers: Female example. At the start of the story, Kan'u and Chouhi swear a vow of sisterhood. In the second season, Ryuubi wants to become Kan'u's sworn little sister too, but Chouhi decides to make her Kan'u's sworn older sister without Kan'u's permission. Eventually, Kan'u gives in and calls Ryuubi her "Aneue".
Kan'u (Private name: Aisha; Courtesy name: Unchou)
A famous bandit hunter known as the Beautiful Black-haired Bandit Fighter. She wields the Green Dragon Crescent Blade.
- Adoptive Peer Parent: While they're sworn sisters, Kan'u mostly acts as Chouhi's adopted mother despite being only a few years older than her.
- Armor-Piercing Slap: She delivers a well-deserved one to the Fake Ryuubi when he tries to persuade her to abandon Touka Village and her friends there for the sake of his pursuit of power in the military.
- Bare-Handed Blade Block: Kan'u pulls one off in episode 11 of season one.
- Big Brother Worship: Kan'u's unnamed brother was shown as her selfless protector, going so far as to save her life at the cost of his own. It was probably by having such an admirable older brother, that Kan'u developed her own Big Sister Instinct when the time came.
- Big Little Sister: Despite Ryuubi being younger than her, she becomes Kan'u's older sister through their vow of sisterhood because Chouhi doesn't want to share her little sister position. By the start of Otome Tairan, Kan'u calls Ryuubi "Aneue".
- Big Sister Instinct: She always looks after her sworn little sister Chouhi. In later seasons, she also becomes protective of her other sworn sister Ryuubi, although Kan'u is nominally the younger sister of the two. This is probably because Kan'u's older brother died protecting her and she wants to follow his example by being a protective sister.
- Celibate Heroine: Kan'u is primarily focused on her goal of saving a war-torn Ancient China, so romance isn't something she's looking for. The exception to this portrayal is in the last two episodes of season one where she feels attracted to the fake Ryuubi until she sees the selfish Glory Seeker he really is.
- Cool Big Sis: Rinrin adores Kan'u as her older sister.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Her entire family was murdered by bandits when she was young.
- D-Cup Distress: She gets easily embarrassed when people mention how big her breasts are.
- Expecting Someone Taller: When people hear of the Beautiful Black-haired Bandit Fighter, they are expecting she's a stunningly beautiful woman. They tend to feel disappointed when they meet Kan'u, as they find her rather average in looks.
- The Heroine: The first season is mostly about Kan'u's heroics during her quest to fight off evil bandits.
- I Gave My Word: Kan'u never goes back on her promises. Sousou constantly reaffirms the promise for sex Kan'u made to get her to "cooperate".
- Large Ham: When it comes to beating up bandits, Kan'u loves announcing it with hams.
- Like Parent, Like Spouse: Or Like Brother, Like Spouse in her case. Kan'u felt attracted to the fake Ryuubi because he physically resembled her deceased older brother. After she realizes the fake Ryuubi doesn't care about anything but his own glory, she gets over her crush because he's nothing like the kind brother who died protecting her.
- Lust Object: Sousou has been sexually harassing Kan'u since they first met. Kan'u got dangerously near to losing her virginity to Sousou as part of a bargain and Sousou makes it clear she hasn't given up on doing so eventually.
- Ma'am Shock: When Ryuubi is Mistaken for Pregnant, Kan'u opposes to the idea of becoming an Honorary Aunt because aunt and old woman are spelled the same in Japanese and she's still too young to be called that.
- Mugging the Monster: Bandits think Kan'u is an easy mark. They find out the hard way she's a famous bandit-hunter.
- Parental Substitute: She calls herself Chouhi's older sister, but Kan'u can also act like a mother figure to the little orphan due to basically adopting her. In fact, people mistake her for Chouhi's mother more often than not.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair reaches all the way down to her ankles.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Her long jet-black skin and fair skin are what earned her reputation as a beauty. Most people are usually unimpressed when they meet her in person because of Generic Cuteness, but Sousou repeatedly expresses her desire to get her hands on Kan'u's gorgeous black hair.
- Red Baron: The Beautiful Black-haired Bandit Fighter.
- Slipknot Ponytail: In Otome Tairan episode 11, she and Chouryou have an intense fight where the hair accessory keeping up her side-ponytail breaks off.
- Team Mom: Kan'u acts like a responsible mom for her group of friends made up by kids and immature girls.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: She's completely scared of ghosts.
Chouhi (Private name: Rinrin; Courtesy name: Yokutoku)
A cheerful little girl who likes to play at being the leader of a kids bandit group called Rin Rin Bandits. The reason she made that group was so she wouldn't feel lonely. Kan'u convinces her to stop pulling pranks and they make a vow to be sworn sisters. She's the first person to join Kan'u in her journey.
- Animal Motifs: Her jacket has a tiger strip pattern in it and has a tiger hairclip.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: In all but blood to Kan'u. While Kan'u loves Chouhi as her little sister, Chouhi's childish antics can still be obnoxious at times.
- Bare Your Midriff: She wears a midriff-baring top.
- Big Sister Worship: She and Kan'u aren't real sisters, but Chouhi clearly adores her.
- Bonding over Missing Parents: The first thing that allows Chouhi and Kan'u bond is the fact that both were orphaned by evil bandits.
- Boyish Short Hair: She's pretty tomboyish and tough. Fittingly, she keeps her hair short.
- Bratty Half-Pint: In her first appearance, Chouhi is a troublemaker who formed a band of "bandits" with the other children of her village to play pranks on the adults. Kan'u stops her before Chouhi gets in serious trouble with the feudal lord.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Sister version.
- She gets very jealous when she sees Kan'u and Koumei getting along. She gets over it when she sees Koumei's efforts to help Kan'u and doesn't have any problem with Koumei joining them in their journey.
- She protests against Ryuubi making a vow of sisterhood with Kan'u because only she gets to be Kan'u's little sister. She's okay with Ryuubi being Kan'u's older sister, though.
- Constantly Curious: Played for Laughs whenever she asks questions about the female body and physical intimacy that embarrasses almost everyone. Kan'u almost always refuses to answer.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Chouhi immediately stumbles and breaks things when told to perform some basic manual tasks.
- Cute Little Fangs: Her sharp fangs represent her energetic and mischievous personality. They also go along with her tiger motif.
- Death Glare: She even can scare off a tiger with it!
- Defeat Means Friendship: In the first episode, Kan'u challenges Chouhi to a duel after the latter angered the feudal lord with her pranks. The fight ends when Chouhi loses her will to fight and starts crying out of loneliness. Afterwards, Chouhi admits she lost to Kan'u, invites her to spend the night at her house and asks her to be her sworn sister, which Kan'u agrees to.
- Deuteragonist: In the first series, she's the second most important character after Kan'u.
- Does Not Like Shoes: She wears ankle wraps that leave her toes and heels free.
- Expressive Accessory: Her tiger hairpin always mimics her expression.
- Fiery Redhead: She has orangish red hair and she's a pretty energetic, hotheaded kid.
- Happily Adopted: In name they're sisters, but Chouhi has been all but officially adopted by Kan'u. People tend to mistake Chouhi for Kan'u's daughter, to the latter's chagrin.
- Hates Being Alone: The reason why she was The Prankster and played at being bandits with other kids was because she was desperately lonely after her grandfather died. Once Kan'u agrees to be her older sister, Chouhi joins her journey so doesn't have to be alone anymore.
- Innocently Insensitive: She speaks whatever is on her mind and says things about people that can be hurtful without realizing it. Such as casually calling Koumei flat-chested and making Ryuubi to think she's getting fat by commenting her thighs are flabby.
- Insane Troll Logic: Chouhi believes that by letting her Blade on a Stick fall on a crossroads, whatever direction it lands pointing towards is the divinely chosen correct path.
- Insult Misfire: Done in the following exchange with Gien:
- Gien: Shut up, you flat-chested midget!
Chouhi: What?! Apologize to Shuri!
- Little Miss Badass: She may be small, but she's roughly on the same level as Kan'u when it comes to battle.
- Parental Abandonment: When she was very young, a group of bandits killed her parents and was taken in by her grandfather. But when he passed away, she was all alone, until she met Kan'u.
- The Prankster: Before Kan'u met her, Chouhi would pull pranks all over her hometown with her 'underlings'. This even got her in trouble with the local landlord and Kan'u get to stop her so Chouhi wouldn't be harshly punished.
- Raised by Grandparents: She was raised by her grandfather after her parents were killed by bandits, but he died recently.
- Red Baron: Fierce Pig General.
- Scarf of Asskicking: She wears a red scarf around her neck.
- Third-Person Person: She uses her private name as a substitute of 'I', something viewed as inappropriate.
- Too Many Belts: Two overlapping, both purely ornamental given her skin-tight spats.
- Verbal Tic: She ends her sentences with "nano-da".
Ryuubi (Private name: Touka; Courtesy name: Gentoku)
Introduced in Shin Koihime Musou. Ryuubi is a descendant of a distinguished family who was given possession of a sword, the family heirloom, before she encountered the man who would eventually steal her name and her sword, causing her to fall into disgrace. To redeem herself, she ventures out in search for the man and her sword, which leads her to Kan'u and company, who are greatly surprised of her identity. After being attacked twice by bandits while venturing alone, she concedes to Chouun's suggestion of joining their group for protection.
- Accidental Misnaming: Ryuubi calls Kousonsan "Pai-pai" instead of her true name Pairen, much to the latter's annoyance.
- Actual Pacifist: She's the only main character who isn't a fighter and explicitly hates violence.
- The Alleged Boss: Ryuubi is nominally the commander of Touka Village's army. But that's because her impostor was the one who originally recruited Kan'u and her friends and they want to save up the trouble of making a new flag. Ryuubi doesn't ever act like a commander. This is lampshaded in the recap of Episode 10 of Otome Tairan; the narrator was going to say Kan'u was leading Touka Village's army until she corrected herself and said it was Ryuubi.
- Blue Blood: She's descended from a high-ranking family.
- Butt-Monkey: Her bad luck started with her family sword and identity being stolen by a bandit. Her mother would throw her into a river whenever she remembered it until Ryuubi left the house. In her first episode alone, she gets sexually assaulted by bandits twice and people try to attack her because they mistake her for her impostor.
- Damsel in Distress:
- Twice in her introduction episode. On both occassions, she's attacked by the same group of bandits, both cases being rescued by Kan'u and company. The second enters Attempted Rape territory.
- Happens yet again in Otome Tairan when she tries to help Gien, only to get into trouble herself, and resulting in another Attempted Rape incident.
- The Ditz: Ryuubi isn't the brightest girl around, to say the least.
- Don't Call Me "Sir": After Chouhi makes her Kan'u's sworn older sister, Ryuubi keeps telling Kan'u to call her "Onee-chan" instead of the respectable "Ryuubi-dono". Eventually, Kan'u settles for calling Ryuubi "Aneue".
- Famous Ancestor: She claims to be a descendant of the legendary emperor Chuuzan Seiou.
- Fangirl: One huge fan of the Idol Singer Chou sisters.
- Friend to All Children: She gets along very well with children, such as Chouhi and some orphans the group encounters in their journey.
- Girlish Pigtails: She ties some of her hair up in pigtails, combined with Odango Hair.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: Ryuubi takes over the role of main heroine from Shin Koihime onward and she also happens to be the only main character to have a sword as her Weapon of Choice.
- Hero-Worshipper: From the moment Butterfly Mask saves her from bandits, she starts worshipping her like a cool and strong hero of justice. Funnily enough, she somehow doesn't realize Chouun is Butterfly Mask.
- Historical In-Joke: She's very good at weaving straw mats, which is her family trade. This is a nod to her historical counterpart Liu Bei, who grew up poor and sold straw mats for a living.
- Hypocritical Humor: After getting ambushed by bandits, Ryuubi states she's smart enough not to be a Damsel in Distress again. Seconds later, she's back into the role.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: She has blue eyes and her personality is sweet and naive to the extreme.
- It Was a Gift: In Otome Tairan, Ryuubi gets a new sword, one Forged by the Gods, specifically the Dragon God from Shin Koihime to replace her Ancestral Weapon that was fried by lightning
- Kindhearted Simpleton: She's something of an airhead, but her heart is gentle and pure.
- Mistaken for Pregnant: In the first episode of Otome Tairan, all her friends notice how she has been acting strangely such as rubbing her belly and refusing to eat. This leads them to suspect she's pregnant. The next morning, Ryuubi wakes up with a stomachache and her friends start panicking because they think Ryuubi is on labor. The truth is Ryuubi didn't want to eat because she was just worried about getting fat and then got food poisoning from eating Chouun's rotten menma out of hunger.
- Mistaken Identity: She's the real Ryuubi, but people who hear of her tend to assume she's her impostor until they meet her in person.
- Nice Girl: Polite, kind-hearted and gentle to a fault.
- Odango Hair: Some of her hair is arranged in a pair of small hair buns.
- Only I Can Kill Him: After hearing Kada's explanation of the "Dragon Sword", everyone has come to the conclusion that Ryuubi, with the sword she now has, is the only one with a chance of slaying Ukitsu. She actually delivers in the final battle when she stabs Ukitsu, killing him.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair goes down to about her waist.
- Regal Ringlets: She wears some of her hair in Girlish Pigtails that curl into ringlets. She also mentions she's descended from a distinguished linage.
- Rescue Introduction: She's properly introduced when Kan'u and her friends have to save her from getting assaulted by bandits.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: She has dark rosy hair, fitting perfectly with her sweet and gentle personality.
- Stealth Clothes: When raiding the pantry after her failed diet.
- Super Gullible: Possibly the only person clueless enough to not see through Chouun's Paper-Thin Disguise as Butterfly Mask.
- Too Dumb to Live: She naively let a complete stranger grab her valuable family sword and told him everything about her prestigious linage. As you would expect, he took her sword and her identity to himself and threw her off a cliff. Ryuubi only survived out of sheer luck.
- Weight Woe: While she doesn't look any visibly heavier since the second series, Ryuubi freaks out over Chouhi saying how soft her lap feels in Otome Tairan. She decides to try dieting and exercising to lose the extra weight, but due to poor self-control and physical weakness, her efforts don't go as planned. After attempting to starve herself, she just can't take it anymore and finally gives in. Although the unhealthy dieting and exercising ceases, Ryuubi continues to worry about her weight. Also fits as Truth in Television.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has dark pink hair.
Chouun (Private name: Sei; Courtesy name: Shiryuu)
Chouun is a mysterious girl who appears calm, collected, and very powerful. She is the second person to join the group. She loves to tease Kan'u and other women frequently. She also assumes the identity of a hero of justice named Butterfly Mask, hence wearing a butterfly mask.
- Ambiguously Gay: She likes to sexually harass Kan'u and did something to Bachou in her sleep that she leaves unsaid because she's a virgin. It's never made explicit whether she's a lesbian or it's simply part of her nature as The Gadfly.
- Animal-Themed Superbeing: Animal Alias type. Chouun likes to pretend she's a superheroine by putting on a butterfly mask and calling herself "Butterfly Mask".
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: In the second High School A.U. OVA, she turns into a giant as Ultra Butterfly Mask.
- Berserk Button: Never eat menma in front of her. She won't even want to speak with you afterwards.
- Chuunibyou: As seen by her tendency to put on a mask and pretend she's a hero of justice.
- Cleavage Window: Her dress has an opening that shows off her cleavage.
- Death Glare: She'll give one to whosoever dares to even look at her Trademark Favorite Food. Somewhat flanderized progressively throughout the anime.
- Fire-Forged Friends: Chouun becomes friends with Kan'u when both fight together in a lair of bandits.
- The Gadfly: She enjoys teasing others and make up stories just to get them upset or scared.
- Hair Intakes: The two "cat ears" that are part of her hairdo.
- In the Name of the Moon: "At times, a traveling warrior who loves menma. Other times, a mysterious bare-naked beauty in the flower-filled hot springs. But her true identity is a lone butterfly dancing through the war-torn world! The messenger of beauty and justice, Butterfly Mask!"
- Large Ham: Chouun is pretty good at making up fabulous stories and entrance speeches.
- Mysterious Protector: After getting separated from Kan'u and Chouhi, she keeps showing up as Butterfly Mask at random to help them from time to time. However, she just comes off as ridiculous instead of mysterious.
- Nightmare Face: Chouun makes a face so that her friends can remember her by. While the camera only reveals the girls' disturbed reactions, the Blu-Ray release decidedly censors her face, preventing the audience from seeing it. It's probably too disturbing that the animators dare not show it.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Her "disguise" as Butterfly Mask consists of just a butterfly mask. Ryuubi is the only one who doesn't recognize her.
- Put on a Bus:
- In the first season, Chouun gets lost in the fog and is separated from Kan'u and Chouhi. She doesn't rejoin the group until the season finale.
- The same thing happens again in Episode 10 of Shin Koihime and by the time the third season starts, Chouun is still missing from the group. Turns out Chouun had already returned to Touka Village because she got tired of waiting for a chance to pop up as Butterfly Mask and casually rejoins the group.
- See You in Hell: She said this to Kan'u before facing off against an overwhelming force of bandits on a very narrow cliff; fortunately, they get out of it.
- Serious Business: Don't speak lightly of menma in front of Chouun. They're a very serious matter to her.
- Short Hair with Tail: Short part in a straight bob, long part of her hair in a ponytail tied at the nape of her neck.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Menma, or fermented bamboo shoots. On some occasions, she asks ramen with nothing but menma as toppings.
- With Friends Like These...: Chouun loves to tease and publicly humiliate, as well as molest her friends.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has light blue hair.
Bachou (Private name: Sui; Courtesy name: Mouki)
The third person to join the group. Bachou is Chouhi's friend and daughter of the late Batou who was supposedly killed by Sousou. Although she speaks like a man, she is really a simple, straight-forward, and easily embarrassed girl. She wields a simple looking spear but is very strong in both power and form.
- Big Eater: Her appetite is as huge as Chouhi's. Ryuubi thinks she doesn't get fat despite eating so much because she trains intensely every day.
- Heavy Sleeper: Whatever Chouun's "retribution" was to Bachou, she was completely unaware of it in season one. In Shin Koihime, Batai groped her and drew on her face without her stirring.
- Idiot Hair: She has a strand of hair prominently sticking out atop her head.
- Living Lie Detector: Apparently, being exceptionally skilled allows Bachou to tell if a person is lying by merely looking at their fighting stance.
- Mistaken for Masturbating: In the first episode of Shin Koihime Musou, Riri gets a glimpse of Bachou sitting on her bed in front of a paper. Bachou was practicing calling Chouhi by her private name Rinrin, but the first thing Chouun guesses is that Bachou was "using her fingers to climb the stairs to Heaven".
- Mushroom Samba: Gets a trip from eating a psychedelic mushroom in the mountains.
- Out of Focus: From the second season onwards, Bachou becomes a much less prominent character since she stays behind from the main adventures alongside Kouchuu. She only gets a very minor Day in the Limelight episode.
- Potty Emergency: She spends most of Episode 11 of Shin Koihime needing to go to the bathroom after her cousin Batai makes her drink a giant gourd of water and hold it in just to prove she doesn't wet herself anymore.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her ponytail goes all the way down to her feet.
- Terrible Artist: She once paints a portrait of Chouhi that Bachou thinks looks identical to the real thing. Truth is it's a deformed scribble.
- Tomboyish Ponytail: She's a brash and masculine fighter and wears a ponytail to show it.
- Tomboyish Voice: She speaks in a very low, gruff voice and she's one of the least feminine girls in the cast.
- Tsundere: A bit of a Sweet type towards Chouhi. Bachou is normally friendly and laidback, but when Chouhi gives her a peck on the cheek to make up after a fight, Bachou gets High-Pressure Emotion, calls Chouhi an idiot several times and runs off in embarrassment.
- You Killed My Father: Bachou tries to kill Sousou at one point for supposedly killing her father. Ultimately subverted when it's revealed her father died falling off his horse.
Shokatsuryou (Private name: Shuri; Courtesy name: Koumei)
The fourth to join the group. Koumei is a kind and reserved girl around the same age as Chouhi, but is a smart, good strategist in battle. She wants to become a great scholar like her master Suikyou.
- A-Cup Angst: She doesn't like to be reminded of her flat chest.
- Adorably Precocious Child: Koumei usually acts like a mini adult despite being about as young as Chouhi, which makes her all the more adorable.
- Big Sister Instinct: She immediately develops one when she meets Houtou, Suikyou's new apprentice. Since Koumei was separated from her biological little sister, she wants to act like a big sister to her fellow student.
- Child Prodigy: Koumei is a prodigy at war strategies, but she's still a kid and no matter how hard she tries to act mature, she stills has her moments of immaturity on the level of Chouhi.
- Covert Pervert: In Shin Koihime, she is revealed to have taken up the hobby of reading perverted books.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: She has blonde hair and is one of the kindest and helpful girls in the anime.
- Happily Adopted: She was orphaned at a young age and was separated from her sisters as they were passed over different caretakers. She eventually ended up at the place of Suikyou's teacher and Suikyou took her as her apprentice. They clearly love each other as real mother and daughter.
- The Medic: She was trained in herbal medicine by Suikyou, which comes in handy when one of her friends gets injured.
- New Transfer Student: The first Highschool AU OVA starts with Koumei arriving at the school as a transfer student.
- Nice Girl: Very gentle, helpful and hardworking.
- Nice Hat: She wears a cute hat similar to a beret with a long ribbon.
- Stocking Filler: She wears garters to hold up her stockings.
- The Strategist: It's her job to come with battle tactics and strategies.
- The Smart Girl: She's the most intelligent member of Kan'u's True Companions and she always has a plan or two.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: She's afraid of heights.
- Wise Beyond Her Years: She's quite mature and wise for a girl of her age.
Kouchuu (Private name: Shion; Courtesy name: Kanshou)
A skilled archer with incredible skill and a young single mother who loves her daughter Riri. After her daughter was kidnapped by bandits, they tried to force her to assassinate an official that had been cracking down on bandits. Kan'u and her friends rescued the child before the assassination could take place. She later joins Kan'u's group as a way to repay the debt she feels she owes.
- Action Mom: She's a single mother and an archer with Improbable Aiming Skills. Unfortunately, this caused her daughter to get kidnapped by the people interested in using Kouchuu's skills.
- Advertised Extra: Despite being made look like a main character in the promotional art and the anime opening, Kouchuu only appears in two episodes of the first season, including the Season Finale. Furthermore, she has very little to no participation in the following seasons.
- Badass Cape: She wears a long green cape when acting as an archer.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She's a gentle and motherly woman, but she can be terrifying to those who threaten her and her daughter. She puts on a demonic face when she describes in gruesome detail what she wants to do to the man who kidnapped her daughter and forced her into an assassination.
- Cleavage Window: There's an opening in her dress that reveals her cleavage.
- Forced into Evil: She agreed to participate in an assassination because her daughter was held hostage until she completed the job. Thankfully, Kan'u's group manages to rescue her daughter just in time for Kouchuu to back out.
- Glamorous Single Mother: Other than the incident with bandits kidnapping her daughter in their introduction episode, Kouchuu never experiences any difficulties as a young widow with a very young daughter.
- Good Parents: She's a good and loving mother to Riri.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: Her archery skills are so amazing and precise that she can purposely knock out a bird that stole a hairpin without killing it.
- Master Archer: From what little we see of her in action, she's an impressively skilled archer.
- Out of Focus: She's one of Kan'u's True Companions, but aside from her introduction episode, Kouchuu gets very little screentime and seems more like a minor character. Made worse in later seasons where she stays behind at Touka Village while the others go on adventures.
- Rant-Inducing Slight: In her rant on how she's going to torture the fake Ryuubi, complete with demonic Facial Markings.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair is long enough to reach her ankles.
- Shipper on Deck: After Kan'u clears up the confusion about Rin Rin being her daughter, Kouchuu then leaps to the other conclusion about their relationship, with a giant shit-eating grin and some emphatic "Ohhhh?"-ing.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has light purple hair.
Riri (Private name: N/A; Courtesy name: N/A; Expy: Xu)
Batai (Private name: Tanpopo)
Bachou's mischievous cousin.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Cousin version. She gets her kicks from pulling pranks on her older cousin, even trying to get Bachou to pee herself so she can laugh at her.
- Fire-Forged Friends: She and Gien start calling each other by their private names after Batai comes to help Gien when Gotsutotsukotsu attacks her.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: While she's the definition of an Annoying Younger Sibling to Bachou and she picks fights with Gien, Batai still goes to give back up to Gien when she faces some tribal girls alone.
- Third-Person Person: She uses her private name Tanpopo instead of a first-person pronoun in her speech.
- Uncanny Family Resemblance: She looks a lot like a younger Bachou.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: She and Gien bicker whenever they're together, yet it's not hard to tell they're already good friends.
Gien (Private name: En'ya; Courtesy name: Buncho)
A warrior who was the rebellious apprentice of the feudal lord Gengan until she disobeyed her orders to save Ryuubi from getting molested by bandits. She instantly falls for Ryuubi and joins her in her journey.
- Bodyguard Crush: She appoints herself as Ryuubi's personal bodyguard just to have an excuse to follow and protect her crush.
- Boyish Short Hair: She has short hair to match her tough warrior woman character.
- Butch Lesbian: Head-over-heels in love with Ryuubi and one of the most tomboyish girls in the series.
- Buxom Is Better: Ryuubi's breasts are one of the things she loves about her. Gien even gets in the bath with Ryuubi to feel her boobs up.
- Covert Pervert: Batai tricks Gien into blurting out (while trying in vain to cover up) quite a few suggestive thoughts she has towards Ryuubi, who happened to be right next to her and heard everything.
- Fire-Forged Friends: Gien accepts Batai as her Vitriolic Best Bud after the latter arrives to help her during Gotsutotsukotsu's attack.
- Hopeless Suitor: It's highly unlikely Ryuubi will ever answer Gien's feelings.
- Insult Misfire: Played with in the following dialogue in Otome Tairan:Gien: Shut up, you flat-chested midget!Chouhi: What?! Apologize to Shuri!
- Like Parent, Like Spouse: Or in her case, Like Sister, Like Spouse. Gengan mentions Gien feels attracted to women who look similar to her deceased older sister. It seems Ryuubi happens to be an Identical Stranger of said sister.
- Loner-Turned-Friend: She was something of lonesome delinquent before she joined Ryuubi's group.
- Love at First Sight: The moment she first sees Ryuubi, Gien is smitten. It's even the title of the episode she first appears in.
- Navel Window: Her shirt is a little short and leaves her navel button exposed.
- Showgirl Skirt: She wears a long skirt that splits at the front, exposing her legs.
- Skinship Grope: The night right after meeting Ryuubi, Gien joins her in the bath and fondles her breasts until poor Ryuubi passes out.
- Skunk Stripe: She has black hair with a white streak on the right side.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: Even though Gien is not really Ryuubi's girlfriend, whoever threatens Gien's beloved Ryuubi will get a world of pain from her.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: She argues with Batai all the time, but she forms a closer friendship to her than anyone in the group.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: She wears a pair of black mini shorts.
Sousou (Private name: Karin; Courtesy name: Motoku)
The blonde ruler of the kingdom of Gi and a general of the Kan empire. Sousou likes beautiful women and is particularly attracted to Kan'u, vowing to make her hers one day.
- Abhorrent Admirer: Kan'u is never happy to run into Sousou because Sousou tries to get into the bath or bed with Kan'u with explicit intentions of having her way with her.
- Chef of Iron: In addition to being a famous warlord, Sousou regularly cooks a banquet for her soldiers.
- Double Standard: Rape, Female on Female: Her recurrent sexual harassment towards a non-consenting Kan'u, which includes demanding her to have sex with her to save her friend's life and forcing her to take a bath together, doesn't leave Sousou looking like a disgusting, irredeemable pervert only because both are pretty girls.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Despite not seeming honorable at first glance, Sousou is a noble and fair person at heart.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: She isn't as bad as she makes herself out to be. Especially evident in the story with Bachou and her father, where she allowed to be known as his murderer to cover his humiliating death.
- Hopeless Suitor: She's very open about her desire to take Kan'u as one of her lovers, but the latter is only made uncomfortable by Sousou's advances.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Her excessive interest for getting into Kan'u's pants is Played for Laughs.
- Mega Twintails: Her drill twintails are as big as her head.
- Mistaken for Murderer: Rumors say she killed Bachou's father, but he really died in an accident on his way home. Sousou didn't say anything in her defense out of respect for the man's pride as a warrior.
- Mistaken for Pregnant: She embarrassingly tells the doctor Kada "it" isn't coming out. He assumes she means her period and congratulates her. Sousou yells at him it's impossible for her to get pregnant when she only sleeps with other women. She was talking about constipation.
- A Mother to Her Men: She treats her subordinates with care. In fact, she has taken most of them as her lovers.
- Naked First Impression: She holds her first meeting with Kakuka and Tei'iku in the bath simply because she wanted to be naked together with Kan'u.
- Ojou Ringlets: She has small loose curls in front of her ears, which is fitting for the ruler of a kingdom.
- Scarpia Ultimatum: She tells Kan'u that she will release Bachou if she has sex with her. Kan'u reluctantly agrees, but they are interrupted by a bandit and Sousou decides to release Bachou anyway.
- Silent Scapegoat: Sousou deliberately didn't try to clear her own name when rumors about her killing Bachou's father spread as she thought that was better than his Undignified Death coming into light.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: She's at odds with Enshou, who jumps at the opportunity to make Sousou look bad by playing her role in a play.
- Through Her Stomach: She once tries to impress Kan'u with her cooking. She later admits she didn't do a good job because, unlike Ten'I, she didn't take Kan'u personal tastes into account.
Kakouton (Private name: Shunran; Courtesy name: Genjo)
Sousou's cousin and one of her commanders. The elder of the Kakou sisters, yet is understanding and loyal to her cousin whom she loves.
- Abled in the Adaptation: Unlike in the original epic and the visual novel, Kakouton never loses one of her eyes in the anime.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: While she knows her relationship with Sousou isn't exclusive, she still gets upset when Sousou pays attention to other parts of her harem and Kan'u. Sousou tries to mitigate the effect by reminding Kakouton she's always welcome into her bed.
- Corner of Woe: She enters into it when she isn't chosen to sing in the season finale of Shin Koihime.
- Dreadful Musician: Implied in the ED of the final episode of the second season. She's singing her heart out, whereas Kakouen and Kousonsan couldn't stand it and tried drowning it all out with alcohol.
- Hypocritical Humor: Kyocho obediently follows Kakoton's instructions to not fight without Sousou's permission. Cut to Kakouen desperately trying to retain her sister from charging against Chouryou despite not getting orders from Sousou.
- Idiot Hair: She has a strand of hair prominently sticking out atop her head. She's far from a silly character, though.
- Kissing Cousins: She's Sousou's cousin and one of her many lesbian lovers.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair reaches all the way down to her hips.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The more passionate Red Oni to her sister Kakouen's calm Blue Oni. This is reflected by the color of their clothes.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: She's much more emotional and headstrong than her calm younger sister Kakouen.
- Single-Target Sexuality: She only loves Sousou.
- Undying Loyalty: She stands out as the soldier of Gi with the fiercest devotion to Sousou.
Kakouen (Private name: Shuuran; Courtesy name: Myosai)
The younger of the Kakou sisters. Just like her sister, she is also loyal to her cousin Sousou and is one of her commanders.
- Kissing Cousins: Like her sister, Kakouen is part of the harem of her cousin Sousou.
- Out of Focus: She's the character of Sousou's faction that gets the least screentime. She even gets left behind in the Hot Springs Episode while Sousou and the rest go to have fun.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The calm Blue Oni to Kakouton's more passionate Red Oni. This is reflected by the color of their clothes.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Unlike her more passionate sister, Kakouen is a very calm person.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has light blue hair.
Jun'iku (Private name: Keifa; Courtesy name: Bunjaku)
Sousou's trusted adviser, strategist and yet another of her lovers.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She has a rivalry with the Kakou sisters due to the fact they are Sousou's cousins and are closer to her. She also gets jealous of Ten'i for getting along with Sousou thanks to both being good at cooking.
- Hair Intakes: The little cat "ears" that are part of her hair.
- In the Hood: She wears a cat-eared hood.
- Lecherous Licking: Sousou has Jun'iku lick off her sweat all over her body. While it makes Jun'iku feel embarrassed, she does seem to enjoy it.
- Too Kinky to Torture: She gets turned on at the fantasy of being trampled on by Sousou.
Kakuka (Private name: Rin; Courtesy name: Houkou)
A woman with an attraction towards Sousou who is seeking to become a strategist of her forces.
- Affectionate Nickname: Tei'iku calls her Icchan.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: She's eager to join Sousou's harem and her wild fantasies about it nearly kill her from a nosebleed more than once.
- Mistaken for Dying: The main group first finds her passed out on the ground in a pool of blood, making them think she's dead until the doctor Kada confirms she's alive and all the blood was from a nosebleed instead of a major injury.
- Nosebleed: Whenever she gets aroused, her nose produces High-Pressure Blood and makes a pool of blood.
- Sexy Spectacles: She's an attractive young woman with glasses.
- Showgirl Skirt: The skirt of her dress splits at the front to show off her legs.
- Stocking Filler: She wear thigh-high stockings with suspenders.
- The Strategist: She wants to be one for Sousou's army. To her disappointment, Sousou finds her ridiculous nosebleeds to be more useful for bodyguard duty. Eventually, her talent as strategist is accepted by Sousou who realizes she's much better suited to be her strategist.
Tei'iku (Private name: Fuu; Courtesy name: Chuutoku)
Kakuka's companion who tries her best to keep Kakuka out of trouble, often cleaning up the messes she makes from her nosebleed episodes. She is also seeking to serve under Sousou as a strategiest, and is accepted as such.
- Consulting Mister Puppet: She has a puppet named Houkei that she always carries on her head and she uses ventriloquism to make it talk.
- Emotionless Girl: She never shows emotion nor raises her voice.
- Hand-Hiding Sleeves: Cute variant. Her dress has very long sleeves that extend past her hands and reach her knees. And they make her look all the more adorable.
- Little Miss Snarker: She tends to speak dryly over the perversion of lecherous girls like Kakuka and Jun'iku.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair goes past her knees.
- Ventriloquism: She's a good ventriloquist, usually utilizing it on her head ornament she named Houkei.
- Verbal Tic: She frequently ends her sentences with "nano-desu".
Kyocho (Private name: Kii; Courtesy name: Chuukou)
A small girl with great strength and a large appetite who wins an eating contest against Chouhi and Bachou. By the third season, she's a newcomer in Sousou's forces.
- Bare Your Midriff: The top of her outfit leaves her midriff bare.
- Big Eater: She won an eating contest against Chouhi and Bachou. And still kept asking for food!
- Berserk Button: Call her "shorty" and prepare for her to try and crush you with her Epic Flail.
- Bokukko: She calls herself with the masculine pronoun boku.
- Demoted to Extra: In the original visual novel, she's a general of the Gi faction. In the anime, she's a very minor character who only shows up in one episode of the first season and doesn't join Sousou's army until late in the final season.
- Epic Flail: She wields a flail, with a handle resembling a kendama chained to a huge iron ball with spikes.
- Girlish Pigtails: She has a cute pair of pigtails.
- Little Miss Badass: She's very strong for her small size. In later seasons, Sousou recruits her into her army for this reason.
- The Napoleon: She's quite short and while friendly most of the time, she gets furious when others make fun of her height.
- Nice Girl: She's very friendly when she approaches Chouhi and Bachou, never even trying to brag about her victory in the eating contest.
- Hammerspace: Lampshaded whenever she brings out her Epic Flail; people stare in shock and verbally wonder where the hell she pulls out the damn weapon.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: She's a cheerful and friendly pinkhead. That is unless you call her short.
- Showgirl Skirt: She wears a knee-length skirt that only covers the back of her legs.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: She wears mini shorts.
Ten'i (Private name: Ruru; Courtesy name: Shiman)
A girl encountered by Kan'u's group working as a cook at a tavern in the Gi faction. Because Chouhi claimed Ten'I is a better cook, Sousou challenges to a cooking competition to test Ten'i's skills against her own. She ends up being recruited as Sousou 's bodyguard after the latter sees her incredible strength.
- Bare Your Midriff: She wears a midriff-baring top.
- Chef of Iron: She originally worked in a tavern, then was brought in by Sousou after hearing how good her cooking is, upon which she unknowingly demonstrates her strength by subduing a raging bull, grabbing it by the horns and hurling it into the stratosphere.
- Idiot Hair: She has a strand of hair prominently sticking out atop her head.
- Little Miss Badass: Don't underestimate her for being short because she has enough strength to send a bull flying.
- Showgirl Skirt: Her battle outfit includes a knee-length skirt that only covers the back of her legs.
- Supreme Chef: Everyone loves what she cooks.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has mint-colored hair.
Gakushin (Private name: Nagi; Courtesy name: Bunken; Expy: Yue Jin)
A female warrior introduced in Shin Koihime Musou.
Riten (Private name: Mao; Courtesy name: Mansei; Expy: Li Dian)
A female mechanic introduced in Shin Koihime Musou.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her top is a simple bikini top, leaving her belly bare.
- Gadgeteer Genius:
- Girlish Pigtails: She wears her hair in spiky twin-tails.
- Kansai Regional Accent: She speaks in Kansai dialect.
- Stocking Filler: She wears garters to hold up her detached pant legs.
- Too Many Belts: Her leggings are literally held up by straps that attach to her two belts, which she wears in lieu of actual trousers.
- Walking Swimsuit Scene: She walks around in a stripped bikini top.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has purple hair.
Ukin (Private name: Sawa; Courtesy name: Bunsoku; Expy: Yu Jin)
A new bespectacled character introduced in Shin Koihime Musou.
- Bare Your Midriff: She wears a midriff-baring top.
- Fangirl: Ukin is the one who fangirls over the Chou Sisters and choreographs the dances used to oppose them.
- Idiot Hair: She has a strand of standing atop her head.
- Meganekko: She's a cute girl with glasses.
- Underboobs: Her top shows off the undersides of her breasts.
Enshou (Private name: Reiha; Courtesy name: Honsho)
The head of the noble En family and the lord of the En province. She is a proud, spoiled and selfish woman who is always causing trouble for her advisers, Bunshuu and Ganryou. She tries hides her true character from Sousou, whom she sees as a no-good brat.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Inverted; Enshou is Enjutsu's Annoying Older Cousin. Enjutsu is the incarnation of annoyance to almost everyone else, but being around Enshou only leaves her exasperated.
- Cool Crown: She wears a circlet and she's the ruler of Kei Province.
- Dumb Blonde: Her character in a nutshell. It's unlikely any other of the girls in the entire cast has less brains than Enshou.
- Naked on Arrival: She's introduced while taking a bath.
- Oh, Crap!: In the OVA, when Enshou wins the student council president election, she realizes she has to be kissed by Principal Chousen.
- Rapunzel Hair: The ruler of the En province has long hair that reaches past her back.
- Regal Ringlets: Exaggerated. Her hair is styled into multiple huge ringlets. Also counts for Ojou Ringlets because two of them fall in front of her ears and shoulders. She's the head of a noble family.
- Student Council President: She becomes this in the Highschool AU OVA.
- Super Gullible: Her cousin Enjutsu sent her assistant to offer an "extremely rare robe that idiots can't see" in exchange for Ryuubi's sword. And Enshou fell for it!
- Upper-Class Twit: She's the head of a distinguished royal family and a big buffoon.
Bunshuu (Private name: Iishe)
One of Enshou's advisers. Despite her position as an adviser, she is not really smart, is brash, and tends to say things without thinking about it firsthand, which tend to embarrass her master.
Ganryou (Private name: Toshi)
Enshou's other adviser.
- Improbably Low IQ: Despite being the smartest of the En Faction, her IQ is about 34 and she is easily offended if anyone calls her IQ any lower than that.
- Only Sane Woman: She's the only one in the En Faction with common sense.
- Weight Woe: She's constantly worried about her belly fat and Bunshuu likes to tease her about her weight.
Enjutsu (Private name: Miu; Courtesy name: Kouro)
Enshou's bratty little cousin.
- Antiquated Linguistics: She speaks in an old-fashioned Japanese dialect, including the use of the archaic "warawa" as a first-person pronoun.
- Bring My Brown Pants: She wets herself after a ghost gives her a good scare.
- Chekhov's Skill: Her hobby of singing the Chou sisters' songs because essential to the plan to defeat the idol sisters in the second season finale, where Enjutsu, Choukun and Kakuka are chosen to dehypnotize the Yellow Turbans with their singing.
- Cool Crown: She wears a tiara as a symbol that she's of noble blood.
- Dumb Blonde: She's smarter than her also blonde idiot cousin, but just a little.
- Hand-Hiding Sleeves: As befitting of a member of a noble family, Enjutsu's dress includes long sleeves that usually cover her hands.
- Insult Backfire: Jun'iku insults Enjutsu by saying all she does is eat honey and sing, comparing her to a cricket. Enjutsu takes the whole thing as a sign of people talking about how great she is.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair reaches the back of her knees, which helps make obvious that she's royalty.
- Regal Ringlets: Not as exaggerated as her cousin, but Enjutsu has long hair that curls into ringlets. Also includes Ojou Ringlets with the two that fall in front of her ears and shoulders. Like with her cousin, it's a symbol of her status as royalty.
- Royal Brat: She's an extremely selfish brat who hates to spend her money on anything but herself. She's also a terribly irresponsible feudal lord who wouldn't care to leave her people to starve. Thankfully, getting spooked by a ghost convinces her to change her ways and help the poor.
- Super Gullible: Despite her manipulative nature, Koumei has Enjutsu fooled with the most ridiculous lies.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Enjutsu is a huge fan of honey and honey water.
- Upper-Class Twit: While not as big of a moron as her cousin, Enshou is still an incompetent feudal lord because she likes goofing off and playing pranks on her cousin better than looking after the needs of her subjects. She does improve a bit after getting spooked by a ghost convinces her to take her responsibilities more seriously.
- Verbal Tic: She often ends her sentences with "nano-ja" which is common for her archaic speech manners.
Choukun (Private name: Nanano)
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: She acts affable, but she's a very mean-spirited and manipulative person.
- Con Man: She conned her master's cousin Enshou into giving her Ryuubi's sword in exchange for an invisible garment "only seen by smart people".
- The Consigliere: She acts as Enjutsu's voice of reason and is the one who comes up with the ideas for their schemes.
- Manipulative Bitch: Enjutsu calls Choukun the greatest master of dirty tricks and schemes in all her kingdom.
- Nice Hat: She wears something similar to a small sailor hat.
- Satellite Character: There's nothing to her other than being Enjutsu's smarter assistant.
- Servile Snarker: She occasionally throws backhanded compliments at the idiocy and brattiness of her master, who is too clueless to notice it isn't genuine praise.
- Yes-Man: Pretty much all she ever does is agreeing with Enjutsu and praising her.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Her hair is blue.
Toutaku (Private name: Yue; Courtesy name: Chuei)
The Governess of the To empire. She is a kind, sweet, timid and innocent girl who wants to help her country and her people no matter the circumstance. Due to her innocent personality, most are unable to say no to her as they are too helpless against her innocent pleas.
- Damsel in Distress: In the third season, she's captured by Choujou in order to assume control of her army.
- Death Faked for You: At the end of Otome Tairan, Toutaku is rescued, but she still believes she should die after the atrocities Choujou committed using her name. Instead, Sousou gets everyone to agree Toutaku should be spared since she was yet another victim of Choujou's villainy. They decapitate a Toutaku puppet and let the real one be free to start anew as a peasant.
- Historical Hero Upgrade: The most extreme example in the series. Unlike her counterpart in the famous historical novel, this Toutaku is an incredibly good person who cares about her subjects. Choujou is the one who initiates tyrannical rule over the capital that motivates the alliance of the Gi, En, and Go factions, with Toutaku merely being The Scapegoat.
- Impoverished Patrician: At the end of the final season, Toutaku's life is spared because all the factions know she was just framed for Choujou's tyranny. However, they still can't do anything about the damage done to her reputation as a ruler, so Toutaku becomes a maid under her peasant alias Tonton.
- King Incognito: She has a habit of sneaking out of her palace and hanging out with commoners to get a better perspective of her subjects' needs.
- Meido: The ending sequence of the last season shows her working as a maid now that she lost her status because of Choujou scapegoating her.
- The Scapegoat: In Otome Tairan, as part of Choujou's and Ukitsu's conspiracy plans, Toutaku is taken prisoner, and her kingdom is turned into a dystopian tyranny while the enslaved subjects are led to believe she's behind all of it.
- That Woman Is Dead: Invoked. Toutaku insists she must pay with her life for the tyranny Choujou committed under her name. Instead, all the factions decide to declare Toutaku the evil tyrant was executed and the normal village girl Tonton is free to continue her peaceful life.
Kaku (Private name: Ei; Courtesy name: Bunwa)
Toutaku's strategist and adviser.
- Bokukko: She uses boku as a first-person pronoun when she talks.
- Fingerless Gloves: Her gloves don't cover her fingers.
- Girlish Pigtails: She wears her hair in low braided twin tails.
- Meido: She's seen working as a maid at the end of the last season after she and Toutaku lose their status because of Choujou's actions.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Her hair is green.
Kayuu (Private name: N/A; Courtesy name: N/A)
A general of the To army. She is easygoing as she doesn't mind if her leader Toutaku goes visiting commoners in disguise, as she believes it will help their country's welfare if she sees their problems through her own eyes.
- Bare Your Midriff: She wears a bikinilike top that exposes her belly.
- Not Quite Dead: In Otome Tairan, she went MIA after a last-ditch battle and was presumed dead (she later revealed that she was eventually captured by the enemy, but was treated well due to her fighting prowess, and because of that she then easily escaped), but turned out to be lurking around In the Hood for a while before making a Big Damn Heroes comeback later on.
Ryofu (Private name: Ren; Courtesy name: Hosen)
A silent girl who was thought as a monster in the mountains, but that all ended up as being a misunderstanding as she was trying to help her pet dogs. After clearing up the misunderstanding, she became part of Toutaku's faction.
- Adoptive Peer Parent: By the time of the second season, she unofficially adopted the orphaned Chinkyuu despite still being very young.
- Badass Adorable: Ryofu is an innocent and kind-hearted person, but she can fight Kan'u and Chouhi at once without breaking a sweat.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her top shows off her midriff.
- Curtains Match the Window: Ruby red hair to match her ruby red eyes.
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: She has dark skin and reddish hair.
- Hair Antennae: Sports a pair of antennae in a rather unique variant in which they slope backwards, rather than forwards. It's further exaggerated in her Super-Deformed appearance where they're as long as her body.
- Heroes Love Dogs: She adopted several abandoned dogs and loves every single one of them.
- I'm Taking Her Home with Me!: Her reason for taking in Chinkyuu is that she's "dirty but cute" like the dogs she picks up.
- Parental Substitute: She's basically the adoptive mother of Chinkyuu, an orphan she picked up. Ryofu even calls Chinkyuu her child.
- Scarf of Asskicking: She wears a long reddish purple scarf around the neck.
- The Stoic: The expression in her face rarely changes.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: She usually does not show any emotion at all, but is really a good-hearted person. Her sugary side shows when she takes care of her pet dogs and Chinkyuu.
- Third-Person Person: She uses her private name Ren in place of I.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has ruby red hair.
Chinkyuu (Private name: Nenene; Courtesy name: Koudai)
A self-proclaimed partner and advisor of Ryofu. She's actually an orphaned child who was taken into the To empire by Ryofu.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Ryofu gave her food and took her in when she had nowhere to go. For that reason, Chinkyuu decided to be of any help to Ryofu as she can.
- Bratty Half-Pint: Subverted. When she first appears, Chinkyuu seems to be an annoying brat who picks a fight with Chouhi over something silly like a dog ornament. Turns out Chinkyuu was acting mean because she wanted to give the dog ornament to Ryofu, her master and savior. Afterwards, Chinkyuu is a very nice kid.
- Cute Little Fangs: When she smiles, her fang sticks out to make her look cuter.
- Dark and Troubled Past: She was an orphaned girl who got thrown out of her hometown for something that wasn't her fault. She and her Big Friendly Dog Chouchou wandered from village to village for a while until both nearly died of starvation. Just when she was about to ascend to Heaven, Chinkyuu encountered Ryofu who fed her and took her to live with her at the To empire.
- Dynamic Entry: Chinkyuu delivers a flying knee drop to Chouhi after an argument at a gift shop. Despite seeing her kick someone she met before in an unwarranted way, Ryofu tells her she did the attack wrong.
- Girlish Pigtails: She has a twintail hairstyle, which looks cute in a little girl like her.
- Happily Adopted: Despite claiming to be an assistant, she's all but officially Ryofu's adopted daughter. Chinkyuu is very grateful that Ryofu took her under her wing and while she doesn't say it, it's obvious she loves Ryofu as if she was her mother.
- I Owe You My Life: If Ryofu haven't found her, Chinkyuu would have died of starvation. She decided to repay Ryofu by becoming her personal assistant.
- Nice Hat: She sports an officer's cap with a panda symbol on it.
- Satellite Character: Her role is serving as Ryofu's assistant and adopted child of sorts.
- Tagalong Kid: Chinkyuu is an entirely ordinary orphan girl who was saved from starvation by Ryofu. Unlike Houtou or Koumei, she is not a Child Prodigy and she lacks the superhuman strength of some Little Miss Badass characters like Chouhi or Kyochou.
- Third-Person Person: She calls herself "Nene" instead of using a first-person pronoun in her speech.
- Undying Loyalty: She has sworn to be Ryofu's most faithful follower.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: She goes around in mini shorts.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has cyan-colored hair.
Chouryou (Private name: Shia; Courtesy name: Bun'en)
A woman who works as a mercenary and is an avid lover of wine and fair fights. She later joins the To empire.
- The Alcoholic: She's usually drinking sake when not fighting.
- Bare Your Midriff: She wears nothing but a sarashi for a top, leaving her abdomen bare.
- Berserk Button: You better never cheat or use dirty tactics in front of her because she won't let you get away with that.
- Blood Knight: Her only interest is looking for a good fight.
- Coat Cape: She wears her haori over her shoulders like a cape.
- Demoted to Extra: Similar to Kyocho, Chouryou's role in the anime is greatly reduced compared to the visual novel. This is lampshaded in the Shin Koihime OVA where she wonders if she's ever going to get some screentime.
- In Love with Your Carnage: Similar to the visual novel, Chouryou falls for Kan'u after the latter defeats her in an intense fight.
- Kansai Regional Accent: She speaks with a Kansai dialect.
- The Lad-ette: She has a very brash and laid-back personality, spends her time drinking, and loves fighting.
- Sarashi: She wraps bandages around her chest instead of wearing a top.
- Wild Card: She joins the To Faction, but she has no loyalty to Toutaku. She pretty much admits she will work for whoever as long as she can fight.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has light purple hair.
Sonsaku (Private name: Sheren; Courtesy name: Hakufu)
The queen of the Go kingdom and the eldest sister of the Son Family. To fulfill the last wishes of her late mother, she has led her kingdom into a long war to unite the country.
- Adaptational Early Appearance: She wasn't introduced in the visual novels until Shin Koihime Musou, but the anime has her appear in the first season.
- Facial Markings: A small tattoo in her forehead.
- Family Theme Naming: Doubling as Floral Theme Naming. She and her younger sisters have true names with a meaning related to the lotus flower; Sheren means "Snow Lotus".
- Hime Cut: She's a Chinese queen with parted blunt bangs, armpit-length sidelocks and classic-length straight hair.
- NEET: In the High School A.U. OVAs, she becomes a NEET after dropping out of St. Francesca and plays video games in her room all day (although she does eventually find a job at a packaging factory).
- Rapunzel Hair: She's a queen with hair long enough to reach past her butt.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: Despite being responsible for sending her empire into war, Sonsaku is a perky and playful pinkhead.
- Running Gag: In the High School A.U., both Shuuyu and Sonken frequently think about her in a sentimental manner as if she's dead, causing Sonsaku to break the fourth wall to remind everybody that she's still alive.
- Shipper on Deck: She appoints Ryomou as Sonken's personal strategist since she wants her sister to have someone who can stay by her side and support her in the same way Shuuyu does for her.
- Spared by the Adaptation: She's already dead during the story of the visual novel, while in the anime she's still alive and survives to the end.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has pale pink hair.
Sonken (Private name: Renfa; Courtesy name: Chuubou)
Princess of Go and second sister of the Son Family.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her dress has a cutout at the front that exposes her belly.
- Facial Markings: She has a small tattoo in her forehead similar to her sister's.
- Family Theme Naming: Doubling as Floral Theme Naming. Like her sisters, her true name includes the kanji for lotus. In her case, Renfa can be translated as "Lotus Flower".
- Hime Cut: She's the first princess of the Go Kingdom. Her hairstyle consists of parted blunt bangs, chin-length sidelocks and long straight hair falling down to her hips.
- Nice Girl: Sonken is kind-hearted and gentle. She also worries about how her sister's wars are affecting everyone.
- Princess Classic: She's the beautiful and kind-hearted princess of a great empire.
- Princesses Prefer Pink: She's a pink-haired Chinese princess wearing a rose-colored dress.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: Sonken is a pink-haired sweetheart.
- Uptown Girl: Sonken is a princess of the Go empire and her personal bodyguard and later strategist Ryomou has an obvious crush on her. It's all but stated Sonken feels the same way.
- Underboobs: The open front of her dress reveals the underside of her breasts.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Her hair is pale pink like her sisters.
Sonshoukou (Private name: Shaoren)
The youngest sister of the Son family and a princess of Go. She joins Aisha's group after she runs away from home, bored of doing her royal duties, and later returns home. She also has a rivalry with Rinrin.
- A-Cup Angst: Annoyed at being called small, she and Chouhi have a contest to compare their breasts in every aspect possible. She also gets easily irritated around women with huge breasts like Rikuson.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her top exposes her belly. Chouhi points out it's a weird getup for a princess.
- Fake Boobs: To her chagrin, Sonshoukou has to put on breast pads when playing Choukaku at Enjutsu's play.
- Family Theme Naming: Doubling as Floral Theme Naming. All three of the Son sisters' true names have the kanji for lotus flower; Shaoren means "Little Lotus".
- Hand-Hiding Sleeves: High class variety. She's a Chinese princess and her sleeves cover her arms up to her fingertips.
- Hime Cut: She's Go Kingdom royalty and she has her bangs, sidelocks and long hair cut straight. It's easier to notice it when she lets her hair down.
- The Load: When traveling with Kan'u's group, she does little more than complain and demand things from the others.
- Money Dumb: She wasted all the money she took from the castle in buying a hairpin. Kan'u's group meets her when she's running off a restaurant without paying.
- Odango Hair: She wears her hair in doughnut-like odangos.
- Princesses Prefer Pink: A Chinese princess with light pink hair and wearing a pale pink dress.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair reaches the back of her knees when she lets it down.
- The Rival: She set competitions with Chouhi over silly things, such as their breast size.
- Royal Brat: She feels she has the right to do whatever she wants and boss people around because she's a princess.
- The Runaway: She runs into the main group after she ran away from the palace because she was fed up of her duties as a princess. She goes back after getting tired of traveling.
- Shana Clone: Sonshoukou is an arrogant, bossy Tsundere princess who calls Kan'u and co. her servants. She's small and flat-chested which results in A-Cup Angst, has pink Rapunzel Hair and wears Grade A Zettai Ryouiki.
- Third-Person Person: She refers to herself as Shao instead of using a pronoun.
- Tiny Tyrannical Girl: She's tiny and the first thing she usually does when meeting new people is ordering them to be her servants. Nuff said.
- Tsundere: Aggressive type. She's haughty, bossy and bratty, but it isn't hard to get her embarrassed.
- Tsurime Eyes: They highlight her proud and haughty personality.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has pale pink hair like her older sisters.
Shuuyu (Private name: Meirin; Courtesy name: Kokin)
Go Kingdom's master strategist. She is a close confidant and lover to Queen Sonsaku.
- Absolute Cleavage: Her dress has an opening in the front that exposes her cleavage and belly.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair is almost as long as she's tall.
- Sexy Spectacles: She's a very sexy woman with glasses.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: She's the main strategist of her faction and fittingly, she wears glasses.
- The Strategist: Her position in Sonsaku's army is to be her leading strategist.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: While she's a formal and serious woman, she smiles and blushes a lot when she's in private with Sonsaku.
- Taking the Bullet: She attempts to shield Sonsaku from a poised blade with her body. Fortunately, she comes out unharmed thanks to Ryomou's timely arrival.
- Undying Loyalty: She has sworn loyalty to her beloved queen Sonsaku.
Kannei (Private name: Shishun; Courtesy name: Koha)
The commander of the force of noble guards of the Go royal palace.
- Berserk Button: As Koumei learned, question Kannei's loyalty to the Son Clan or her honor as a warrior at your own peril.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: She doesn't make the training easy for the noble guards of the Go palace.
- Fingerless Gloves: Her gloves don't cover her fingers.
- Fundoshi: She wears one as underwear and has her subordinates wear one too as a symbol of the Go Kingdom's noble guard.
- Minidress of Power: Her outfit is a red minidress that just barely covers her underwear.
- Prim and Proper Bun: She ties her hair back in a covered bun, fitting her strict and serious character.
- Scarf of Asskicking: She wears a long and dark scarf around her neck.
Rikuson (Private name: Non; Courtesy name: Hakugen)
Shuuyu's disciple. A smart yet air-headed official who gets quite excited from reading books.
- Absolute Cleavage: The front of her dress has an opening that extends from her cleavage to her belly button.
- Cute Bookworm: She really loves books, maybe even a bit too much
- Hand-Hiding Sleeves: High class variant. She's part of the royal court of Go and the sleeves of her dress are longer than her arms.
- Nerdgasm: Reading books is her equivalent of watching porn.
- Sexy Spectacles: She's a buxom, attractive, and glasses-wearing woman.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: It is appropriate for a strategist with great love for gaining knowledge to wear minuscule pince-nez glasses.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has cyan-colored hair.
Ryomou (Private name: Ashe; Courtesy name: Shimei)
A girl who serves in the personal guard under Kannei and is appointed as the bodyguard of princess Sonken, who she is in love with. She is eventually relieved of her duties to be appointed as an apprentice strategist to Sonken.
- Blind Without 'Em: Ryomou is farsighted with her right eye. When Sonken notices it, she gets her a monocle.
- Bodyguard Crush: After being assigned to guard Sonken's room, Ryomou falls for the kind and studious princess. While it's not explicitly confirmed if the feeling is mutual, Sonken is definitely fond of Ryomou.
- Cleavage Window: Her outfit as an apprentice strategist includes a large cleavage cutout.
- Face of a Thug: Because of her farsightedness, she resorts to squinting, which often scares people away because she looks like she's giving them the Death Glare.
- Genius Bruiser: Ryoumou has trained as both a Son Family elite bodyguard and as an apprentice strategist.
- Hand-Hiding Sleeves: High class variant. After becoming a royal strategist in training, she wears a dress with sleeves so long that they nearly reach her feet.
- High-Class Glass: Sonken buys her a monocle to help her with her eyesight problem.
- Hot for Teacher: Sonken becomes her private teacher and Ryomou is very obviously smitten with her.
- No Indoor Voice: She has a habit to say everything by shouting when she's nervous or excited.
- Odango Hair: She keeps her hair in two low buns.
- The Strategist: After proving her intelligence, she's ordered to quit the bodyguard force and made a strategist-in-training.
- Undying Loyalty: She becomes unquestionably loyal and devoted to her princess Sonken.
Shuutai (Private name: Minmei; Courtesy name: Youhei)
A cat-loving warrior officer of the Go kingdom.
- BFS: She wields a sword that's as long as she is tall.
- Cuteness Proximity: Shuutai tends to lose it around cute cats.
- Hime Cut: She has parted blunt bangs, cheek-length sidelocks, and ankle-length straight hair.
- Keigo: She speaks very politely to everyone, even cats.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: She's a sweet young girl and her favorite hobby is petting cats.
- Ninja: She dresses like a kunoichi even though she's supposed to be Chinese instead of Japanese. She even specializes in espionage and sneaking.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair reaches all the way to her ankles.
Kougai (Private name: Sai; Courtesy name: Koufuku)Voiced by: Miyabi Shion (credited as MARIO)
Songo's longest and most trusted adviser.
- Cleavage Window: Her dress has a small opening in the chest area.
- Ma'am Shock: She really hates it when people talk about her as if she was old.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her ponytail reaches down her hips.
- Shipper on Deck: She actively gets Sonsaku and Shuuyu to make up after an argument by locking them inside a warehouse. Knowing what those two will be up to after reconciling, she leaves them there all night.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has lavender hair.
Twin sisters who work in Sonsaku's court as entertainers.
- Giant Poofy Sleeves: Their dresses include a pair of poofy sleeves.
- Giant Waist Ribbon: They both have giant ribbon as long as their legs.
- Hair Intakes: Their hairdo have two of what look like cat ears.
- Identical Twin ID Tag: Their eye shapes are the only way to tell them apart; Daikyou has Tareme Eyes and Shoukyou has Tsurime Eyes.
- Idiot Hair: Both of them sports one and don't shine by their intelligence.
- No Name Given: Neither twin have proper given names; Daikyou simply means "Big Kyou" and Shoukyou simply means "Small Kyou".
- Odango Hair: Both have two bun covers on either side of their heads.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: Both are cute and energetic little girls with pink hair.
- Slave Collar: Both of them have one, as a reminder of their status.
- Tareme Eyes: Daikyou has rounder eyes, making her more docile than her sister.
- Tsurime Eyes: Shoukyou has sharper eyes, which gives her a more aggressive look and the only distinctive trait from her sister.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: They both have pink hair.
Yellow Turban Rebellion
Choukaku, Chouhou and Chouryou, private names Tenhou, Chiihou and Renhou. Three sisters who are trying to make a living as street performers, but don't make headway until Ukitsu gives them a book called Crucial Keys to the Way of Peace that teaches them magic spells to make microphones and produce special effects in their performances. They become popular idol singers in their town.
- Back for the Finale: They appear again in the finale of the last season.
- Band of Relatives: The three sisters form an Idol Singer band together.
- Bare Your Midriff: As idols, they wear midriff-baring outfits.
- Body Double: Choukaku disguises herself as Ryuubi and faces Ukitsu to keep him distracted and give Ryuubi the chance for a surprise attack.
- Charm Person: Chouhou learns a spell that she uses to hypnotize the band's fans and stop fights in the middle of concerts. The Chou sisters make use of this at first to get gifts from their fans, but there are more sinister applications that come to light.
- Curtains Match the Window: The three sisters have light blue eyes, but Chouhou is the only one whose hair is also light blue.
- Evil Diva: They are turned into this by the influence of the Crucial Keys to the Way of Peace, particularly Chouhou. They use magic to mind control those who hear their songs and enjoy them, eventually escalating into starting a revolt.
- Family Eye Resemblance: The three sisters don't look that much alike, but what they all have in common are their cyan eyes.
- Family Theme Naming: The private names of the three sisters all end in 'hou'.
- Identical Stranger: With a hairstyle change and a switch of clothes, Choukaku is a Ryuubi with light pink hair. This is what allows them to fool Ukitsu in the final battle.
- Idiot Hair: Choukaku has a cowlick atop of her head and she's the airhead of the sisters.
- Idol Singer: They quickly become famous idols after they start making concerts by using spells charms for the sound and visual effects.
- Meganekko: Chouryou wears glasses and is the calmest of the sisters.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: Choukaku has bright pink hair and is the cheery and bubbly one of the sisters.
- Rapunzel Hair: Choukaku's hair reaches past her back.
- Showgirl Skirt: Most of Choukaku's skirt is knee-length, except at the front where it splits to expose her thighs.
- Street Performer: They start off doing magic shows and musical performances in the streets, but they don't do well until Ukitsu gives them a spell book to create special effects for their shows.
- Unwitting Pawn: Ukitsu lends them the Crucial Keys to the Way of Peace so their greed for fame and the aggressiveness of their fans becomes fuel to the evil energy of the spell book.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Choukaku has bright pink hair, Chouhou has light blue hair and Chouryou has light purple hair.
Moukaku (Private name: Mii)
The king of the Nanban.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her tribal outfit doesn't cover her belly.
- Buxom Is Better: Moukaku and her underlings are all obsessed with big boobs, for some reason.
- Cat Girl: She has the cat ears and tail, as well as the "-nya" Verbal Tic for bonus points. Although, that's just her tribal clothes probably.
- Cute Little Fangs: As part of her Cat Girl theme, Moukaku has feline fangs.
- Expecting Someone Taller: According to the rumors Gien heard, Moukaku is a terrifying king who is 30-feet tall, has scaly skin and eats living animals. Moments later, they find the real Moukaku is a small and cute Cat Girl.
- Fur Bikini: She dresses in a white tiger-skin bikini-like attire.
- Jungle Princess: She's the ruler of the Nanban jungle, dresses in a tiger Fur Bikini, and has three other jungle girls who follow her lead.
- She Is the King: Her title is King of Nanban.
- Third-Person Person: She uses her private name Mii as a first-person pronoun.
- Tiny Tyrannical Girl: She bosses people around and expects them to obey her completely. After all, she is a king.
- Verbal Tic: She ends her sentences with "-nya".
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has light green hair.
Mike, Tora & Shamu
Moukaku's three followers.
A charismatic young commander who recruits Kan'u and her friends into his army, but they leave him as soon as they see the power-hungry coward he really is. At the end, it's revealed he was just a bandit who impersonated the real Ryuubi after stealing her sword.
- Bishōnen: Regardless of his despicable personality, no one can deny he has a good-looking face.
- Broken Pedestal: Kan'u believed him to be a noble general who protected the innocent and even felt an attraction to him. That is until she realizes he's a power-hungry, lying scumbag who would let people be endangered just to benefit himself.
- Canon Foreigner: An anime-exclusive character.
- Con Man: He pretends to be the descendant of a prestigious family and the general of a righteous army, but he's really a mere bandit seeking to improve his social status with lies.
- Decomposite Character: Can be said to be the personification of the more negative aspects Of Liu Bei in history, namely being more concerned on glory and survival while backing it up with a degree of cunningness (but more used negatively) and being generally hypocritical, while Liu Bei's positive and more lionized aspects go to the real Ryuubi.
- Dirty Coward: Once he's exposed as a fraud and a child kidnapper, he runs the hell out of Touka Village to escape being beaten up and captured.
- Glory Seeker: He doesn't care at all about trying to better the condition of the country, only thinking about how he can make fame for himself.
- Identical Stranger: His face and voice are identical to Kan'u's deceased older brother, which she's quick to notice.
- Karma Houdini: While his plans of becoming a successful general were foiled by Riri blowing his cover, the first season ends with him managing to escape and we never see him get the retribution he deserved for arranging Riri's kidnapping and attempting to kill the real Ryuubi to steal her identity.
- Lack of Empathy: He's perfectly fine with letting innocent villagers die for the sake of not losing his opportunity to increase the power of his military position.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: He was impersonating the real Ryuubi and his real name is never mentioned.
A mysterious man who gives the Chou sisters the magical book known as the Crucial Keys to the Way of Peace so they can use magic to jumpstart their careers as idol singers. In reality, he's using the Chou sisters to make the book gain large amounts of magic.He reappears in Otome Tairan as an ally and adviser to Choujou.
- Facial Markings: He has a small tattoo in the middle of his forehead.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: He wears glasses and is a major villain in season two and three.
- A Glass of Chianti: He relaxingly sips a glass of wine as he stares down at the indestructible stone army he released to conquer China.
- Hidden Agenda Villain: It's not clear what he's planning to do by gathering magic power of the Crucial Keys to the Way of Peace until the finale of season three.
- Invincible Villain: He can only be killed by Ryuubi's new sword, but brushes off any other weapon, like he did with Kouchuu's arrow.
- The Man Behind the Man: In the second and third season, Ukitsu is the one moving the strings behind the scenes. He manipulates the Chou sisters and Choujou, using the anger and hatred their actions cause to gather enough energy for the Crucial Keys to the Way of Peace.
- No Body Left Behind: After being stabbed by Ryuubi's Dragon Claw Sword, Ukitsu's body disintegrates into nothing.
- People Puppets: He uses a spell to control Choujou's body and force her to drink the potion that turns her into a rat.
- Villain Teleportation: He's an evil wizard with teleportation abilities.
The villain appearing in Otome Tairan.
- Baleful Polymorph: Ukitsu only needed her tyrannical rule to extract energy for the Crucial Keys to the Way of Peace from her subjects. The moment he has gathered the power necessary, he turns Choujou into a rat.
- Big Bad Wannabe: She's set up as the main villain of the third season. Near the end of the season, the tables are turned against her when Toutaku is rescued which automatically ruins her plans. And then, Ukitsu decides he no longer has any use for her and turns her into a rat.
- Bokukko: She uses 'boku' to refer to herself when she talks.
- Canon Foreigner: An anime-exclusive character.
- Evil Laugh: She likes to do the villain laugh for the sake of it.
- Excessive Evil Eyeshadow: She's the only female character with eyeshadow and coincidentally, the only woman in the series to be a straight-up villain.
- I Have Your Wife: She takes Toutaku hostage to force her army into doing her bidding and cooperate in her tyrannical rule of the capital.
- Skunk Stripe: She has two red stripes in her otherwise white hair.
Kousonsan (Private name: Pairen; Courtesy name: Hakukei)
A feudal lord no one can be bothered to remember.
- Aren't You Going to Ravish Me?: In the second OVA, she gets offended at a giant octopus stripping every girl in the beach except her.
- Butt-Monkey: In all her appearances, she gets the short end of the stick or is annoyed at how people keep forgetting her. Even the only time she gets to do something cool by beating Enshou in a duel ends with her exposing her naked breasts to a crowd of people.
- Childhood Friends: She went to elementary school together with Ryuubi and considers them close enough to call each other by their private names. However, Ryuubi doesn't remember much about Kousonsan in her childhood.
- Forgettable Character: People tend to forget details about her because she fails to stand out much. She complains that her own parents often forgot her in the market. Even Ryuubi, her classmate from elementary school, has trouble recalling anything exact about her. Chouun points out how unremarkable she is.
- Hime Cut: She's a feudal lord with parted blunt bangs, cheek-length sidelocks, and bra strap length straight hair.
Shibaki (Courtesy name: Suikyou)
Komei's teacher who is also a scholar and doctor in the countryside.
- Canon Foreigner: She only appears in the anime, although she was mentioned as Komei's and Houtou's teacher in the original visual novel.
- Parental Substitute: Shibaki has been taking care of Shuri ever since the little girl was orphaned and separated from her sisters. She treats Shuri like her own daughter and wants the best for her.
Houtou (Private name: Hinari; Courtesy name: Shigen)
Another of Shibaki's students.
- Covert Pervert: By the third season, Koumei has gotten Houtou into her hobby of reading perverted books.
- Girlish Pigtails: She ties her hair up into twin-tails, which adds to her cute childish looks.
- Happily Adopted: Like Koumei, Houtou is an orphan who was taken into the care of Suikyou who she loves as if she was her real mother.
- Infant Sibling Jealousy: A variation. Houtou was adopted after Koumei left Suikyou, so when Koumei comes to visit, Houtou gets immediately jealous when she sees her and Suikyou acting like mother and daughter. Houtou later apologizes to Koumei for thinking she would take her mother away and they accept each other as surrogate sisters.
- Nice Hat: She wears a cute witch hat.
- The Quiet One: She doesn't like to talk with anyone but Suikyou and later Koumei.
- Shrinking Violet: She's very shy around people she's just met.
- Shy Blue-Haired Girl: Her hair has a shade of blue and she's very timid around strangers.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Periwinkle blue, in her case.
Kada (Courtesy name: Genka)
A traveling doctor skilled in acupuncture from a guild known as the WAY OF THE FIVE GRAINS! He is on a quest to search for and seal away a cursed magic book known as the Crucial Keys to the Way of Peace.
- Catchphrase: "BE HEALTHY!"/"GENKI NI NARE!!"
- Combat Medic: While he's primarily a doctor, he does kick some ass in the final battle of Otome Tairan.
- Fiery Redhead: Downplayed. He's mostly even-tempered despite his red hair, but he does like to shout the name of his guild for the hell of it.
- Hot-Blooded: He always wants to scream the name of his guild like he was the protagonist of a shonen battle anime, for whatever reason.
- Large Ham: Kada insists the name of the guild he's affiliated with be called out in the loudest and most dramatic fashion every time.
- Ma'am Shock: Rare Male Example. He doesn't like that Chouhi calls him an old man.
- Mundane Made Awesome: Kada's acupuncture treatment of Chouhi acquires all the flair and drama of a Goldion Hammer deployment.
- Suddenly SHOUTING!: Lampshaded in the following dialogue:Koumei: Kada? Of The Way of the Five Grains?Kada: NO!Girls: Eh?Kada: It's THE WAY OF FIVE GRAINS!!Girls: Oh.Kada: It's very important to give it appropriate emphasis.Koumei: I-I'll remember that...Kan'u: So, Shuri, what is the Way... I mean, THE WAY OF FIVE GRAINS!! all about?
Kashin (Courtesy name: Suikou)
The Commander-in-Chief of the Han imperial forces who is also known as the "Great General". In the third season, Choujou feeds her a pill that slowly turns her into a cat. Kan'u's group is asked for help by Kada to find the ingredients to make an antidote.
- Antiquated Linguistics: She uses archaic Japanese speech patterns.
- Baleful Polymorph: Choujou force-fed her a pill that progressively transforms her into a cat. To make it worse, she hates cats.
- Beauty Mark: She has a mole on the left corner of her lips.
- Bit-by-Bit Transformation: Instead of immediately turning into a cat, Kashin's body parts transform one by one, starting with growing cat ears.
- Canon Foreigner: Technically an anime-original character as she has nothing in common with the visual novel's Kashin.
- Cat Girl: Her magic transformation starts with her growing cat ears. By the time Kan'u's group sees her again, Kashin has grown a tail and her hands turned into cute paws. Even after drinking the antidote, the cat ears don't go away.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Before properly appearing in season three, she was in Kakouton's flashback of season one as the host of the banquet in which the incident between Sousou and Bachou's father occurred.
- Fun Size: She shrinks as her transformation into a cat is almost complete, looking like a Super-Deformed Cat Girl version of herself.
- Hair Intakes: Her hairstyle includes a pair of "cat ears".
- Hide Your Otherness: Her cat ears stay even after she's given an antidote for the spell, so she wears a bandanna to hide them.
- In the Hood: When she arrives at Touka Village, she's wearing a hood to hide her cat ears.
- Slow Transformation: The magical pill takes quite a while to completely transform her into a cat, giving the main group time to go on a journey and make her a potion that changes her back to human.
- Verbal Tic: After her transformation into a cat progresses, Kashin adds "-nya" at the end of her sentences.
- Walking Swimsuit Scene: She goes around wearing a bikini top.
Gengan (Private name: Kikyo)
A federal lord that was the teacher of Gien until she decommissioned her from straining the promise that Gien would not draw her sword.
- The Alcoholic: The locals claim she's seldom seen sober.
- The Lad-ette: She usually ditches her responsibilities as a feudal lord to go drink alcohol and bet on horse races.
- Like a Daughter to Me: She states that even if Gien isn't her student anymore, she still thinks of her as her daughter.
- Parental Substitute: She acts more like an adoptive mother than teacher for Gien.
A warrior who appears and tries to make several failed assassination attempts on Gien.
- Accidental Misnaming: For the entirety of her episode, nobody gets her name right.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her tribal clothes include a midriff-baring top.
- Canon Foreigner: An anime-exclusive character.
- Cute Little Fangs: Her canine fangs are very visible, possibly to highlight her tribal girl character.
- Does Not Like Shoes: She's barefoot due to being a tribal girl.
- Revenge: She blames Gien for her older sister's death and wants to kill her, even though it was an accident.
Ryuubi's mother who forced her to go on a journey to recover the family sword that was stolen by a bandit.