open/close all folders
Voiced by: Hidetaka Tenjin (Japanese), Aaron Roberts (English)Ernesti's father, and the one who introduced Ernesti to Silhouette Knights, at age 3.
- Doting Parent: Since his wife, Ernesti's mother, is very frail, it's a miracle Ernesti was born at all, so he always doted on the little boy. The kingdom of Fremmevaria greatly appreciates it.
- Famed In-Story: Although the audience is never told how great the man's accomplishments are, he is a Living Legend in-universe. We do catch a glimpse of it in the anime when he rescues the three-year-old Ernesti from the literal jaws of a Demon Beast.
- Happily Married: To Eru's mother.
- Retired Badass: He used to be a Knight Runner, now he's a noble, a father, and instructor at Laihiala academy.
- So Proud of You: On the one hand, his chest bursts with pride at the fact that his one and only son gets the ear of the king, founds his own knight order, and greatly outstrips his own legendary accomplishments back in the day. On the other hand, he's always found Ernesti a real handful, constantly worried how and when the boy would shatter the limits of common sense next.
Voiced by: Masaru Ikeda (Japanese), John Swasey (English)Ernesti's grandfather and the principal of Laihiala academy.
- Badass Grandpa: Literally. He's Ernesti's grandfather and the anime shows him taking down a Demon Beast on foot, armed with only a normal two-handed sword while protecting his daughter-in-law and grandson. Of course, a much, much bigger Demon Beast that he couldn't do anything about but run came and snatched up the entire carriage they were in.
- Mentor Archetype: He's not just a principal at the academy but the top instructor.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: He doesn't play favorites at the academy. His grandson, Ernesti had to earn, by merit, his advanced position, and skipping those grades.
- Retired Badass: Like his son Matthias, he used to be Knight Runner.
Voiced by: Sayaka Senbongi (Japanese), Tia Ballard (English)Ady and Chid's older half-sister. Despite being a pure-blood noble, she treats both Ady and Chid with respect, as equals, even though they're both the children of a mistress, unlike her mother and true-blood brothers.
- The Ace: The top student at Lahaila academy, until Ernesti came along.
- The Chains of Commanding: She takes her role as class president seriously. As such when an unexpected mass Demon beast attack swarmed upon their training camp, she went to the front lines, without hesitation. Protecting her junior students at great risk to herself.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Golden haired-blonde, sweet all over.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: She doesn't play favorites in her role as the student council president, and is a model candidate for the role. Even Baltsar, her younger full-blooded brother doesn't get preferential treatment when he acts out.
- Student Council President: Is in charge of the middle-school students, as befits the middle child of a high-ranking noble family.
Baltsar SerratiThe youngest official child of the Serrati bloodline. He strongly takes after his mother in staring down his nose at the commoners, especially the bastard children of his father's mistress, Ady and Chid's mother. He will do anything to keep the two of them from being recognized as legitimate members of the family, and prop up his sense of blood-borne entitlement and superiority.
- Adapted Out: In the manga, his role is considerably reduced. In the anime, he's omitted entirely.
- Aristocrats Are Evil: He uses the fact that he's a true-blood noble to justify some truly horrific things.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: He forces his younger half-brother, Chid, into a duel, using Ady's life as a hostage, to make everyone see he's "the one worthy of being a Knight," not Chid and Ady. As punishment, when his crimes are exposed, he's shipped off to a Knight order, on the front lines with the Demon Beasts, where he has to prove it, his life in constant danger, and his noble title not offering any protection or prestige at all.
- Big Brother Bully: Taller, older, and stronger than either Chid or Ady (barring magical enhancements), he loves to bully the two of them around because they're "bastards," and he thinks he can get away with it.
- Dirty Coward: He can't even demand a duel without rigging it in his favor, and using a Hostage Situation to keep his opponent from fighting back.
- Feeling Oppressed by Their Existence: Like his mother, he loathes Ady and Chid purely because they exist as a living testament to his father's infidelity.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Once Chid was sure Ady was safe, he gave back all of Baltsar's abuse back to him in a single blow. Humiliating him before the whole school.
- Put on a Bus: After badly losing the duel against Chid, he gets shipped off to a Knight Order to be trained on the front lines.
- Shame If Something Happened: He kept showing Chid one of Ady's hairpins, making it clear that he wouldn't guarantee her safety if Ady didn't "throw the match" ,badly, and let himself get beat up.
- Slobs vs. Snobs: Clearly on the "snobs" side as he finds the very existence of Ady and Chid a horrific personal insult because they're "commoners" and "bastards".
- We Have Reserves: In the Light Novel account, he clearly lampshades that he has no problems sacrificing others for his own gain.
Arlos SerratiThe oldest of the Serrati children and the official heir. Even as a young high-school teen, he's being groomed to take over the family prestige when his father Marquis Serrati retires.
- Adapted Out: He's removed from the story entirely in both the anime and manga.
- Aloof Older Brother: While he's not cruel like Baltsar, he doesn't hold much affection for Chid and Ady.
- Dirty Coward: Defied. While it is true that he flees the border fortress as the Behemoth is bearing down on it. He only does so under orders to deliver the warning to the kingdom, which he does. Given a choice, he would have died fighting the Behemoth, trying to stall it until the army could be rallied to take it down.
- The Ghost: He's only mentioned once when Eru is being briefed on the genealogy of the Serrati family. Although he is one of the messengers sent by Vice Captain Stephan to warn the kingdom when the Behemoth attacked.
- One-Shot Character: He appears in the story only once, fleeing a border fortress under orders, during the Behemoth attack.
Voiced by: Hiroyuki Kinoshita (Japanese), Jarrod Greene (English)The father of Arlos, Stefania, Baltsar, and his two bastard children, Chid and Ady.
- Good Parents: Adultery aside, he's shown treating his children, regardless of birth-mother, well.
- Happily Married: Averted. While the circumstances of their marriage are not divulged in detail, he and his wife do not get along, at all, and divorce seems to be a practical impossibility. His mistress, on the other hand, truly does love him, and is perfectly okay being a mistress, as being of common blood, she can't marry him.
- Your Cheating Heart: He has a mistress. If he didn't, Ady and Chid wouldn't exist.
Ambrosius Tahvo Fremmevira
Ambrosius Tahvo Fremmevira
Voiced by: Takayuki Sugo (Japanese), Brandon Potter (English)The monarch of the Kindgom of Fremmevaria. He finds Ernesti highly amusing, and fully supports his "hobby".
- Ace Custom: The Jilbatiga
- Badass Grandpa: Sixty years old, but still able to go rounds with his Warrior Prince grandson.
- Birds of a Feather: He bonds with Ernesti almost immediately because they have very similar personalities.
- Blood Knight: He really likes fighting in a Silhouette Knight.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Despite being the King, he's loud, brash, and loves to fight and watch fights.
- Child Prodigy: According to Duke Knut Dixgard, he was also an extremely adept genius as a child.
- The Good King: He's called "the wise king" for a reason.
- Manchild: All his attendants and the high-level nobles of the kingdom know he has a very childishly mischievous personality, always has.
- Retired Badass: He was once a Knight Runner, and still trains in operating Knights. He even has experience leading a Knight order directly. More true after he abdicates the throne in favor of his son.
- That Makes Me Feel Angry: When he learns "lure powder" was used in the theft of the Telestarle prototypes, he goes on to explicitly describe how enraged beyond reason he is, as this means he no longer has to worry about just dealing with Demon Beasts but with other countries that are out to exploit him and his people.
Emrys Geijer Fremmevira
Emrys Geijer Fremmevira
Voiced by: Daisuke Ono (Japanese)He is the second son of Fremmevira Kingdom's first prince Riothamus and fourth in line in the order of succession to the throne.
- Ace Custom: The Gordoleo.
- Animal Motifs: Lions. Even more emphasized by his Silhouette Knight.
- The Big Guy: He pretty much towers over anyone in Eru's group.
- Bling of War: His Gordoleo is certainly an eye catcher.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Even more so than his grandfather.
- Calling Your Attacks: BLAST HOWLING!
Voiced by: Takaya Hashi (Japanese), Barry Yandell (English)King Ambrosius' right hand man. He and his family have been watching over the king since "his majesty" was a small child. He is also the one most suspicious regarding the new "child genius" Ernesti.
- Cloudcuckoolander's Minder: Seems to have had this role towards Ambrosius when they were younger.
- Commander Contrarian: He can only see Ernesti's genius and talent as troublesome and ominous.
- Cross-Popping Veins: The light novel clearly describes this as his reaction when he's absolutely flummoxed by the fact that Ernesti simply does not care if he takes over the Telestarle project, as this leaves Ernesti free to pursue even newer and better designs.
- Spanner in the Works: His calling for a meeting with Ernesti and demonstrating the new Tellestarle prototypes temporarily puts a cramp in the plans of the Copper Fang Knights. Sadly, this was only a minor set-back for them.
- This Cannot Be!: When he learns that Ernersti is almost single-handedly responsible for the revolutionary Telestarle design, and Ernesti himself sees it a trivial matter, the duke nearly has an aneurysm.
- This Is Unforgivable!: Upon learning that The Copper Fang Knights used "lure powder" (or "curse bait"), he went apoplectic in shock and rage.
Voiced by: Ryoukan Koyanagi
- Machine Hymperwort
- Ace Custom: His personal Knight is considerably heavier and stronger than the standard issue, capable of taking on the revolutionary Telestarle models, matching or surpassing their raw power, but lacking the same level of versatility and agility.
- Boring, but Practical: All his Silhouette Knight does is swing a giant hammer around, but man is that effective!
- Drop the Hammer: His Knight's weapon is a war-hammer.
- A Father to His Men: He took the cowardly attack by the Copper Fang Knights as a personal insult because his men were harmed or killed.
- So Proud of You: When he sees Dietrich hold his own against a large swarm of Demon Beasts lured there by the Copper Fang Knights, he has nothing but praise for the young Knight Runner.