A character sheet for the manga/anime Kaze no Stigma.
The male protagonist of the series.
Born as Kazuma Kannagi, he is a former member of the Kannagi household. He was banished from the family by his father and changed his name to Kazuma Yagami after being defeated by Ayano during the successor ceremony for "Enraiha", his family's sacred sword, due to his inability to use Enjutsu.
Four years later, at the age of twenty two, he returns to Japan as the most powerful master of Wind Magic to have ever existed, possessing god-like powers. As a "Fūjutsushi" (風術師?, Wind Technique Practitioner), Kazuma's powers are extensive and he is by far the most powerful character in the series. Apart from being able to fly even while holding three people, Kazuma can also launch blasts of wind that act as blades and manipulate wind spirits to create a barrier, protecting his body from physical harm or reflecting light in order to camouflage himself.
It has also become apparent that he possibly has the ability to manipulate electricity (shown during episode 23 just before Ayano brings him back to his normal self using the crimson flame). In the series he tries to avenge Tsui Ling's death because he blames himself for not protecting her. Towards the end of the series he become aware of the fact that he loves Ayano and vows to protect her.
- All of the Other Reindeer: He was an outcast of the Kannagi family due to his inability to use Enjutsu.
- Anti-Hero: Especially in the novels. He is very violent and tends to kill most of the antagonists (and severely injure many others along the way).
- Battle Couple: With Ayano.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: The reason Kazuma saves Misao: She saved him from bullies when he was younger.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Again, with Ayano.
- Berserk Button: It's recommended that you don't perform Human Sacrifice, especially with his little brother Ren. It reminds him of his greatest failure.
- Big Brother Instinct: Towards Ren.
- Blow You Away: He couldn't master Fire Magic, so he mastered Wind Magic instead. He has a pact/contract with the spirit king of air, so he has a few more feats and tricks up his sleeve than other Wind Mages.
- Bodyguard Crush: Ayano's father uses the excuse of hiring Kazuma as Ayano's bodyguard to keep the two together in hopes of pairing them off, but Kazuma is actually smart enough to realize this.
- The Comically Serious
- Cynicism Catalyst: Kazuma's failure to protect Cui-Ling in the backstory led him to undergo Training from Hell and becoming a pretty brutal Anti-Hero.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Declaration of Protection: He promised Cui-Ling to protect her, only to fail. He now has decided to protect Ayano.
- FaceHeel Turn: For a few episodes near the end.
- Flight: Can use his wind powers as transportation.
- The Gadfly: Loves causing Ayano trouble.
- Genre Savvy: Is well aware that his bodyguard job is nothing but a ploy of Juugo in order to get him and Ayano together to accomplish several of his goals (the main one being returning Kazuma to the family and being a full fledged Shipper on Deck). Genre Savvy or not, he still falls for her anyway, ending the anime in an introspective Declaration of Protection for Ayano.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: When he reaches his full power, his eyes become "blue as the azure sky".
- Heartbroken Badass
- Heroes Want Redheads: Once Kazuma starts to let go of his lost love Cui-Ling, he admits he's into redheads now.
- I Let Gwen Stacy Die: His failure to protect Cui-Ling motivates him to awaken his true powers to protect those around him.
- Intimate Healing: Early on, he gives Ayano medicine via a kiss.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He's rude, selfish and arrogant, but underneath it all there's a good guy who cares about those close to him, mainly his younger brother Ren and his new love Ayano.
- Kids Are Cruel: He was regularly beaten up as a child due to his lack of fire magic.
- Kissing Cousins: Him and Ayano are second cousins.
- Love Makes You Evil: In the last arc of the anime. Ayano snaps him out of it.
- Manipulative Bastard: Especially in regard to Ayano.
- Mind Probe: Used by his evil side.
- Mistaken for Murderer: He's lured back to Japan to set one of these up. A powerful Wind Mage is killing Kunnagis, and he's a powerful Wind Mage with a motive to do just that.
- My Greatest Failure: Being unable to stop Cui-Ling's sacrifice.
- Nigh Invulnerable: Kazuma uses a magical shield that can block or deflect most attacks. Conventional weapons especially can't even scratch him.
- Noble Demon: He plays the part of mercenary, extorts gold out of fairies, and likes to mess with Ayano, but beneath it all, Kazuma's a good guy.
- Only in It for the Money: Of the "don't-want-to-act-like-I-care" sort.
- Opposites Attract: With Ayano.
- Parental Abandonment: A subversion. He was disinherited and cast away by his parents, but that was to make him able pave a way for himself and succeed at life. Had he stayed a Kunnagi, he wouldn't have been in a very good position at all.
- Pet the Dog: He visits his father at the hospital and tells him to take care of himself.
- Pummel Duel: Has several with his father in one episode.
- Rapidfire Fisticuffs: Kazuma usually fights using his powerful long-range magic but proves himself exceptionally capable in this tactic as well during his Pummel Duel with Genma at the resort.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: When he turns evil.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The cool and calm Blue Oni to Ayano's hot-tempered and impulsive Red Oni.
- Shoot the Dog: More so in the novels of course, but it still stands.
- The Spock: To Ayano's McCoy and Ren's Kirk.
- The Stoic
- Not So Stoic: Whenever the Cui-Ling issue comes out.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality
- Super-Powered Evil Side: Subverted. If Ayano is correct in her analysis, he's actually less powerful in this state; a claim backed up by his attacks lacking their usual precision, has a lot more trouble with opponents he had previously Curb-Stomped, and an inability to access his full powers. Played straight in that he's basically a loose cannon and a danger to everyone around him like this.
- Take a Third Option: His guiding philosophy, it would seem.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome
- Tall, Dark, and Snarky
- The Tease: In a rare male example.
- Took a Level in Badass
- Training from Hell: After Cui Ling's death.
- Troubled, but Cute
- Unscrupulous Hero
- Worf Had the Flu: A justified version with Kazuma vs. Ayano late in the series. Kazuma's evil persona is sufficiently less powerful than his norm that Ayano (who usually can't hold a candle to him) is finally able to win a bout. Kazuma even lampshades this when he begins returning to his senses.
- You Taste Delicious: While Kazuma was pouring some fine wine, some of it splashed onto Ayano's face. The powerful wind mage decides not to let it go to waste and licks it off his partner's face.
The successor to the Kannagi family's head. She holds Enraiha, the Kannagi's sacred sword, which she won by defeating Kazuma at the successor ceremony four years before the start of the story.
- Action Girl
- All Girls Want Bad Boys
- Ancestral Weapon: Enraiha has been passed down to members of the Kannagis' for generations.
- Arrogant Kung Fu Girl
- Badass Adorable
- Battle Couple: With Kazuma.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Kazuma.
- Butt-Monkey: Kazuma is always making fun of her and she is usually victim of slapstick.
- Cannot Spit It Out
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Ayano claims she doesn't like Kazuma, but she sure seems a bit too interested anytime he's hanging out with another woman.
- Clothing Damage: Twice: In the fight with the first Big Bad, and again in the first fight against Katherine.
- Cool Big Sis: To Ren.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Cute Little Fangs
- Daddy's Girl: Called one in the light novels by her friends.
- Dangerously Short Skirt
- Fiery Redhead: Literally.
- Flaming Sword: Enraiha, a wooden sword passed down the family line from the Spirit King of Fire.
- Get a Hold of Yourself, Man!: To Kazuma in the last arc of the anime.
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- Heir to the Dojo
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: To Kazuma.
- Hellish Pupils
- Heroic BSoD: In the novels, after her friends shrink back from her in terror when she first demonstrates her power in front of them. She then gets enveloped by a puny slime monster that shouldn't have had a chance, and Kazuma has to bail her out and restore her confidence.
- Hime Cut: She has this hair style (long length, even bangs and sidetails) to signify her status as the successor of the Kannagi family.
- Hold the Line: In the first arc's Big Bad boss fight, she has to keep him back while Kazuma charges up for an attack. He lets her get knocked around a little before releasing it, of course.
- Humble Pie: Gets knocked down a couple pegs in the first arc by Kazuma, who she could barely remember as "Guy I easily trounced during the successor ceremony."
- Idiot Hair: In one scene you can see Ayano putting a great deal of work into making sure she has one of these, including combing her hair a certain way and liberal amounts of hairspray.
- "I Know You're in There Somewhere" Fight: With Kazuma in the last arc of the anime.
- Indirect Kiss: She drinks Kazuma's coffee while he's battling a Pandemonium player.
- Indy Ploy: A huge fan of these.
- Intimate Healing: When Kazuma gives her medicine via a kiss.
- Kissing Cousins: She and Kazuma are second cousins.
- Like Parent, Like Spouse: Ayano seems to feel attracted to men that remind her of her dad. Apparently Ayano doesn't find the attractive qualities of her father in many men her own age.
- The McCoy: To Kazuma's Spock and Ren's Kirk.
- Ms. Fanservice: Has tons of Panty Shots, two Furo Scenes and suffers constant Clothing Damage.
- Opposites Attract: With Kazuma.
- Panty Shot: And lots of them.
- Playing with Fire: Part and parcel of being a member of the Kannagi Family.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The hot-tempered and impulsive Red Oni to Kazuma's cool and calm Blue Oni.
- School Uniforms Are the New Black: Ayano wears her school uniform at all times. Lampshaded when she takes her time picking between three identical outfits in the amusement park episode. Its actually a very expensively made uniform that is immune to her powers.
- Second Love: Kazuma has never gotten over his first love Cui-Ling and his failure to protect her. Once he falls in love with Ayano, he decides it's time to move on and protect his present.
- Town Girls: The Neither to Yukari's Femme and Nanase's Butch.
- Tsundere: And a textbook example at that. She does not realize what she wants and she calls Kazuma a jerk, but tries to hold his hand at an amusement park, blushes all the time and flies into a towering rage if Kazuma makes a move on her or if she sees him with another woman.
- Tsurime Eyes
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade C.
- She is briefly seen wearing a Grade A in the Hot Springs Episode.
Kazuma's younger brother. He looks up to Ayano and practically worships Kazuma, stating that one day he hopes to be as strong as him so he can protect everyone.
- Badass Adorable
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Big Brother Worship
- Declaration of Protection: He promises to protect Ayumi.
- The Dulcinea Effect: He just sees Ayumi and talks to her a little bit and he's already ready to turn against the entire Tsuwabuki family in order to protect her.
- Even the Guys Want Him
- The Glomp: His greeting.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: He is young and innocent.
- Heroic Resolve: When he decides to save Ayumi from sacrifice.
- I Let Gwen Stacy Die: He regrets not being able to save Ayumi for the rest of the series.
- The Kirk: To Kazuma's Spock and Ayano's McCoy.
- Let's Get Dangerous!: Don't let the Keet act fool you, he's a skilled magic user in his own right.
- Love at First Sight: Toward Ayumi.
- Morality Pet: To Kazuma.
- Not So Weak
- Playing with Fire
- Take a Third Option: As opposed to just going with it, as the Tsuwabaki family does.
- Tareme Eyes
Ren and Kazuma's strict father. Though he is responsible for banishing Kazuma from the Kannagi family, he only wanted his son to find his own path in life.
Though Kazuma defeats him in their first battle in years, Genma is the strongest En-Jutsushi of the Kannagi's, and wields the blue Divine Flame, Sōen, which only eleven others have wielded since the founding of the clan.
- Badass Longcoat
- I Have No Son!: Since he has disinherited Kazuma, he refuses to acknowledge him as his son.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: The true reason he expelled Kazuma from the family is because he wanted his son to find his own path, but he has never admit it.
- Playing with Fire
Ayano's father and Genma's cousin. He is the current head of the Kannagi family.
- The Chessmaster: He tries to become one in the Beach Episode. It's Played for Laughs.
- Cool Old Guy: He's actually very fair with Kazuma.
- Multicolored Hair: His front hairs are ligther.
- Shipper with an Agenda: He supports Ayano/Kazuma to keep the family line going. He even fakes a Youma sighting in an amusement park to get Kazuma and Ayano on a date.
- The Stoic
A detective working for the Tokyo MPD's Special Investigation Unit, in charge of investigating crimes related to jutsu.
- Ms. Exposition: She reveals Kazuma's backstory to the main characters near the series finale.
- Occult Detective
- Purple Eyes: Pinkish purple.
- The Stoic
One of Ayano's best friends and classmates. She and Yukari know about the existence of jutsushi. She is a very athletic student and is admired by many of the female students.
- Boyish Short Hair
- Even the Girls Want Her
- Go-Go Enslavement: She is kidnapped and put in a tight leather outfit by Kosuke Utsumi in the last arc of the anime.
- Purple Eyes
- Shipper on Deck: For Ayano/Kazuma.
- Those Two Girls: With Yukari.
- Town Girls: The Butch to Ayano's Neither and Yukari's Femme.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
One of Ayano's best friends and classmates. Yukari, along with Nanase, often teases Ayano about her apparent crush on Kazuma. She is well-connected to the information network of the student body and often knows what is happening around the school.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Go-Go Enslavement: She is kidnapped and put in a French Maid outfit by Kosuke Utsumi in the last arc of the anime.
- Hair Decorations
- Shipper on Deck: For Ayano/Kazuma.
- Those Two Girls: With Nanase.
- Town Girls: The Femme to Ayano's Neither and Nanase's Butch.
The girl Kazuma could not protect. She was sacrificed by the head member of the Armagest Erwin Leszaar to summon a demon.
- Deader Than Dead: Her body and soul were consumed from the inside out by the demon Leszaar summoned.
- Hair Decorations: She always wore a ribbon.
- Hair Intakes: Her hair had a pair of what looked like cat ears.
- Human Sacrifice
- The Lost Lenore: She was the first woman Kazuma ever loved. His failure to protect her still haunts him.
- Posthumous Character: She's only seen in Kazuma's flashbacks.
A member of the secondary part of the Kannagi family. Her brother was the only person kind to her, but was killed by Ryuuya when he, alongside another Kannagi relative, were on a mission for capturing Kazuma. That's the reason why she believes Kazuma was the responsible for his death. After Ryuuya's defeat, she makes killing Kazuma her goal.
- The Atoner: After Michael Harley is finally destroyed she asks Kazuma to leave her to die, but Kazuma convinces her to atone for her sins by living on. She´s currently trying to pay her sins as a nun in some abbey near by Tokyo.
- Broken Bird
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Hair Decorations: Sports a headband.
- Honey Trap: She at first tries to seduce Kazuma in order to get the chance to kill him, but Kazuma doesn't fall in her trap.
- My God, What Have I Done?: After attempting to kill Kazuma twice, with no success, Michael Harley takes his chance and seduces her with the false promise of granting her enough power to get her revenge. She gathers inside her body the souls of many innocent victims, and even kills her own family in order to obtain that power. Michael Harley tells that their deaths were not a sin if the goal she was seeking was honorable, but when she finally confronts Kazuma and loses her battle, she realizes that those were nothing but lies and faints in horror.
- Playing with Fire
- Revenge Before Reason: She becomes so obsessed with getting her revenge for her brother that kills innocent people and her own family in order to become strong enough to kill Kazuma.
- Stepford Smiler
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Subversion. She looks and acts the part but her train of thoughts and actions are very different, specifically killing her family for power.
A mysterious girl Ren meets in the park in the middle of the night and he immediately falls for her. Later she is revealed to be the clone of Mayumi Tsuwabuki created in order to replace Mayumi in the sacrifice ritual. Using the treasure of the Pixies, which is an egg that will hatch into the tribal leader of the Pixies, Ayumi's growth is accelerated, so that within one month, she grew twelve years.
- Clone Degeneration: She has a lifespan of about two months.
- Cloning Blues: She was created to replace Mayumi as a sacrifice to Mt. Fuji. If she tried to turn against the family, she would have a very short lifespan.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: She dies in Ren's arms.
- Dying Declaration of Love: To Ren.
- Expendable Clone: Thinks of herself as this due the treatment she receives from the Tsuwabuki family. Fortunately Ren manages to convince her that she is more than that.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Go Out with a Smile: She dies smiling at Ren.
- Heroic Sacrifice: She sacrifices her life in order to weaken Zenon, so that Kazuma, Ren, and Ayano could destroy it.
- Human Sacrifice: She is supposed to be sacrificed to the evil spirit Zenon in order to prevent it from destroying half of Japan.
- "It" Is Dehumanizing: The Tsuwabuki family refers to her as an "it."
- The Lost Lenore: His failure to save her affects Ren and gives him the motivation to become stronger.
- Nice Girl
- No Body Left Behind: Her body disintegrates as she dies.
- Really Was Born Yesterday: She has the appearance of a twelve year old girl, but she is actually only a month old.
- Temporary Love Interest: To Ren.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: She only appears a few episodes as Ren's love interest and then she dies at the end of her arc.
An anime-only character and a member of an American family of Enjutsushi.
- The Beastmaster: Her fire magic is specially skilled in creating and controlling spirit beasts to harness flames.
- Canon Foreigner: She's an anime-only character.
- Defeat Means Friendship: With Ayano.
- Eagle Land: Both flavors. Flavor 1 wasn't present for the most part, but by episode 22, it turns up.
- Flower in Her Hair: Her headband has a rose ornament.
- Gainaxing: At one point in episode 22 in her fight with Kazuma.
- Hair Decorations: She wears a headband.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She comes off as mean and arrogant, but later shows that she isn't a bad person. Such as when she helps Ayano realize she has to become Kazuma's new happiness so she can free him from his Super-Powered Evil Side.
- Ojou: She comes from a wealthy family of fire mages.
- Ojou Ringlets: She has two ringlets that frame the sides of her face.
- Pet the Dog: In episode 22, toward Ayano.
- Phenotype Stereotype: She is an American girl with blonde hair and blue eyes.
- Playing with Fire: Like Ayano, her family specializes in Enjutsushi.
- The Rival: Considers herself this for Ayano in both fire magic and love.
- Verbal Tic: "...desu wa"
One of Ren's best friends. Always butting heads with Kanon Suzuhara, Tatsuya is always trying to keep Ren to himself in order to help him pursue more manly things in life.
- Ambiguously Gay: Though outwardly he appears to like Ren in a romantic way, he's really only concerned that Ren will be too feminine if he hangs around Kanon.
- Lightning Glare: With Kanon.
- Those Two Guys: With Kanon.
A classmate of Ren Kannagi and Tatsuya Serizawa. She has a crush on Ren and tries her best to get his attention, though she gets into a fight with Tatsuya over Ren, since he wants to be with Ren.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She's usually figthing with Tatsuya over Ren, wanting to have him all for herself.
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: She tends to beat up Tatsuya a lot.
- Girlish Pigtails: She wears her hair in pigtails.
- Lightning Glare: With Tatsuya.
- Those Two Guys: With Tatsuya.
- Zettai Ryouiki: She only needs the Tsundere personality to be Grade S.
A mischievous fairy who played scared people at Ayano's school, causing everyone at the school to think that a ghost was haunting the place. Tiana later approaches Kazuma about a treasure that was stolen from the king of the fairies, and hires him to retrieve it.
- Butt-Monkey: While she makes Ayano look like a fool in her first appearance (granted that's not very hard) when she works with Kazuma she quickly Ayano as the target of his trolling and punchlines.
- Curtains Match the Window: Blue hair and eyes.
- Idiot Hair: She has a cowlick that stands rather prominently atop her head.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has light blue hair.
Son of Hyoue Kazamaki, leader of the Fūga Clan, which served the Kannagi for the last 300 years.
- Palette Swap: Of Kazuma, believe it or not.
A young boy from the Stars of Sagacity, an organization related to Kazuma's past and Tsui-Ling's death. He uses Misao's anger at Kazuma and promised to grant her wishes. In truth, he only uses her as a medium, in order to obtain enough yoki, or life energy, to kill Kazuma.
- Manipulative Bastard: He tricks Misao into sacrificing hundreds of people.
- Mask Power: Averted. He's defeated quite easily by Kazuma.
Older daughter of the Tsuwabuki family, who are skilled "Chijutsushi", however she was born without the ability to control earth magic. During her father's absence due to "illness", she becomes the head of the Tsuwabuki family.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Like Kazuma, she was ostracized by her family for her lack of power.
- Aloof Big Sister: To Mayumi.
- Broken Bird
- Dishing Out Dirt: Kureha turns out to be a Chijutsushi with an extremely high level of power, Zenon simply blocked her powers.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Gravity Master
- Gray Eyes
- Manipulative Bitch
- Peek-a-Bangs: Her hair usually covers her right eye.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Villainous Breakdown: After realizing she was used as Zenon's puppet during her whole life she completely loses it.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: After Zenon is finally freed from the seal, Kureha is killed by Zenon.
Younger daughter of the Tsuwabuki family. She was supposed to be sacrificed in Taisai, the ritual of taming the behemoth within Mt. Fuji every 30 years preventing the volcano from erupting, but decided to make a clone in order to replace her.
- Hair Intakes: She has two intakes in her hair that look like cat ears.
- Heel Realization: After Ayumi sacrifices herself in order to defeat Zenon.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Sacred First Kiss: She gave Yuuji her first kiss to make him "take responsibility" and stop her if she ever tried to runaway from the sacrifice ritual.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid
Mayumi's servant who is determined to protect her.
- Bodyguard Crush
- Declaration of Protection: To Mayumi.
- Dishing Out Dirt
- Love Martyr
- Stalker with a Crush: According to Kureha.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
The chairman of Armagest, a powerful organization of modern magic users. He holds a grudge against Kazuma for killing his master. He is also the man who sacrificed Cui-Ling.
- Big Bad: Leads Armagest in their world-conquering agenda.
- Curtains Match the Window: Yellow hair and eyes.
- Malevolent Masked Men: Wears a mask that covers his left eye.
- Take Over the World: His goal.
The entity that was made in Cui-Ling's image by Wernharde.
- Artificial Human: She's a doll created by Rhodes from last remaining residual thoughts of Cui-Ling.
- Emotionless Girl: Since she's nothing but a doll, she can't feel emotions.
- Hair Decorations: Wears a ribbon just like Cui-Ling.
- Hair Intakes: Just like Cui-Ling, her hair has a pair of what look like cat ears.
- Pinocchio Syndrome: She wants to gain a soul and emotions of her own instead of just being a doll made of Cui-Ling's essence.
- Purple Eyes: The only physical difference she has from Cui-Ling are her purple eyes, which help to show she's a magic replica.
- Rei Ayanami Expy: An Emotionless Girl who serves as the obedient and loyal minion of a villain. She's even the replica of a dead woman who had a strong connection to the main character.
- Sadist: Her master told her that in order to find emotions of her own, she should seek enjoyment in the suffering of others.