Characters for Kase-san and its sequel Yamada to Kase-San.
WARNING: UNMARKED SPOILERS AHEAD
NOTE: PAGE UNDER CONSTRUCTION
One of the two protagonists of the series. She's a girl with a love for flowers and thus spends her time at her high school taking care of them. After a meeting with star athlete Kase, Yamada falls heads over heels in love for her too. She decides to pursue a career in horticulture by the time she reaches college.
- Alliterative Name: Yui Yamada.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She doesn't say it out loud but she does get jealous when it's rumored that Kase's old senior harbors feelings for her. This gives her no shortage of angst due to her rather low self-esteem.
- Covert Pervert: Yamada, normally a sweet, naive girl with little knowledge of anything sexual, is at one point cornered by Kase and distracted by her big boobs... though this might be a case of Early Installment Weirdness.
- Crush Blush: She gets one mutually with Kase the first time they meet outside school, wearing normal clothes.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Yamada is a royal mess, flustered to a fault and has two left feet by default.
- Extreme Doormat: Yamada has considerable trouble saying "no" to people. Though this is somewhat subdued at school, it starts to glare in college.
- First-Name Basis: She tries but is still too shy and unused to using Kase's first name. She does say she's working on it in order to finally become comfortable enough with using Kase's first name, though.
- Friendless Background: To the point that prior to meeting Kase, Mikawa was her only friend. In the sequel manga, and for the first time, she makes a friend at college all on her own.
- Ill Girl: Downplayed. She states that she faints easily when she gets nosebleeds, as she's somewhat anemic. As she's clumsy, she's also rather susceptible to injury.
- The Ingenue: Yamada is a newbie in most of the stuff she engages into with Kase, so she tends to be markedly innocent and naive; this is rather important in the story, as Yamada is often approached by boys.
- Last-Name Basis: Is this with Kase because she's not used to using first names with her but she says she's working towards it in order to finally properly call Kase by her first name. In college, she opts not to, as she feels that it's pointless to change something so fundamental just because they're in a different environment.
- Like Father, Unlike Son: Yamada had initially told her mother that she'd go to her alma-mater to study literature like her mom did, but later changed that in her third year to attend a horticultural college in Tokyo. As it's shown, mama was not pleased, especially for how late she decided and how suddenly she did.
- Lipstick Lesbian: She's pretty girly but it doesn't stop her from being in love with Kase.
- Nice Girl: Very much so. This is also part of the reason why Kase fell in love with her: she didn't care that Kase is the star athlete and just treated her like any other person.
- Shrinking Violet: Yamada is rather shy, sometimes balking at being at the center of attention. It's also shown that she's the passive party in her relationship with Kase.
- They Do: She and Kase have sex for the first time during the final chapter of Kase-san and Morning Glories.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The girly girl to Yamada's tomboy.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: Often on the receiving end of this from Kase. Whenever Yamada starts selling herself short, Kase always tells Yamada about how the latter inspires her.
The second main protagonist of the series and the Title Character. She's the star athlete of the track team in her and Yamada's high school. She falls in love with Yamada after seeing how dedicated she is in taking care of the school's flowers. She continues to do track and field when she reaches college.
- The Ace: She is the shining star of the track and field club and the best runner in the inter-collegiate competitions.
- Anguished Declaration of Love: During the cultural festival, and after clearing the misunderstanding regarding her senpai (they were not dating), she tells Yamada that she could not possibly fall in love with someone like she did with her.
- Butch Lesbian: Downplayed as she doesn't have any of the stereotypical traits associated with the trope.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She's definitely this since she doesn't really like people, men in particular, getting close to Yamada. This is best seen in chapter 7 of the sequel series Yamada and Kase-san where Kase joins the mixer that Yamada is attending◊ while wearing a suit because she doesn't want anyone putting the moves on her girlfriend.
- Covert Pervert: Just as nice as her girlfriend, but is way more sexually savvy. For example, when Yamada invited Kase to her house, the latter immediately thought that meant they were going to have sex.
- First-Name Basis: Tried moving into this with Yamada but the latter wasn't used to it.
- Last-Name Basis: With her girlfriend Yamada. She tried moving to First-Name Basis but Yamada wasn't used to it. However, Kase is willing to wait until Yamada finally becomes comfortable with using their first names.
- Lesbian Jock: She's a lesbian and she's athletically inclined. She's the star runner of the track team during her high school days.
- Nice Girl: Unfailingly polite and always supportive of her friends and girlfriend. It's this trait of Kase's that made Yamada fall for her to begin with.
- Not So Different: Turns out, Kase is not nearly as experienced with love as Yamada thinks she is, though she's sexually more savvy than her girlfriend. They are pretty much as new to love as each other.
- Secondary Character Title: Her surname is the series' title, but Kase is the second main focus after Yamada.
- They Do: She and Yamada have sex for the first time during the final chapter of Kase-san and Morning Glories.
- Tomboy: She has more interest in doing activities normally considered to be boyish such as track and field. She also prefers wearing boy's clothes. And she doesn't look bad in a suit either◊, much to Yamada's surprise.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The tomboy to Yamada's girly girl.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: She will not tolerate anyone wronging Yamada. When she saw Yamada being harassed by a bunch of drunks, she immediately kicked the chair next to them and told them to go away.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: She firmly believes this to be the case regarding Yamada. When the latter continuously sells herself short, Kase always tells Yamada about how the latter inspires her.
Yamada's best friend in high school. Yamada often confides in her regarding her feelings for Kase.
- Affectionate Nickname: Yamada tends to refer to her as "Mikawacchi" during their conversations.
- Afraid of Blood: She can't stand the sight of blood and shivers at the mere mention of it.
- Innocently Insensitive: Early on, she didn't know about Yamada and Kase secretly dating each other so she tends to unknowingly hurt Yamada's feelings by sharing some rumors she heard about Kase.
- Meganekko: She wears glasses.
- Only One Name: So far, she's only referred to as "Mikawa"; her full name has yet to be established.
- Spanner in the Works: She is, unwittingly, the source of many insecurities that Yamada has with Kase, as she told Yamada that Kase had previous girlfriends in the track and field club; it's later revealed that this was not the case, as Kase was too busy in club to even think of engaging in that, even when the possibility was open.
- Shipper on Deck: She eventually becomes aware of Yamada and Kase's relationship and supports them.
A runner from South High and a self-proclaimed rival to Kase in track and field.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: She wanted to be Kase's friend, choosing her high school to go with Kase, but Kase ended up choosing West High because it was closer to her house. Aikawa is shown to always be expectant to meet Aikawa every time there's an opportunity to do so.
- The Rival: She thinks herself one to Kase.
- Then Let Me Be Evil: She tries to antagonize Kase, but she's usually fended off by her kindness.
- Tsundere: Towards Kase, whom she not so secretly admires as a sportsman and person.
- Unknown Rival: Kase is not aware that Aikawa considers herself her rival.
- What the Hell, Hero?: She is mad at Kase for choosing West High instead of South High like she had told Aikawa.
A college student and Kase's senior in the track and field team. She is implied to have had a relationship with Kase in the past, and she attends the college where Kase wants to go to in Tokyo.
- The Beautiful Elite: The first thing that Yamada thinks when she meets her is that she is stunningly beautiful.
- The Drag-Along: During her last year of high school, her teammates put her in conflict with Kase due to the fact that they wanted Inoue to compete instead of Kase, their junior, in spite of being slower. What ends up endearing Kase to her is that Kase, instead of getting upset at her, chooses to help her and train with her for the meets.
- Nice Girl: She deeply cares about Kase because of her support of her in spite of the previous conflict between them.
- The Rival:
- She is one to Yamada in terms of love for Kase. Turns out, this was never the case, as her relationship with Kase was not romantic in nature.
- She was one for Kase in track and field.
- Secret Test of Character: She subjects Yamada to one, as she had heard that she was dating her dear underclassman. Her visit to the cultural festival served to gauge Yamada as someone worthy of being with Kase. She ends up giving the OK and her blessing.
- Tomboy: She is as rowdy as Kase, but she's more girly-looking.
First appearing in Yamada to Kase-San, Hana is a classmate of Yamada at her horticultural college. The daughter of a flower-growing farm family, Hana is shown to be just as dutiful a gardener as Yamada, if not more. She becomes Yamada's first friend at college.
- The Ace: Yamada considers her this, as being from a flower-growing farm family, she's a "thoroughbred".
- Always Someone Better: She's an even more dutiful gardener than Yamada.
- Country Mouse: She comes from a small country village and has a marked accent to accompany it.
- The Ingenue: One of the first things she wants to do in Tokyo is to attend a mixer event, not knowing what it might entail, and what risks it can bring.
- Nice Girl: To befriend Yamada, she'd have to be one.