open/close all folders
Yokosuka Ship Girls
- Alternate Self: The Mark I models are the existing Kancolle IJN ship girls as well as the Kancolle: Pacific USN ship girls, and the Mark II variants are the canon USN ship girls (and likely other navies like the Royal Navy etc), who are exclusively found in Japanese waters as drops just like in the game.
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: Zig-zagged trope. On the one hand, the fanfic holds nothing back in showing combatants on either sides losing limbs, suffering horrific injuries or being killed, but with docks which heal them up, they come back out looking none the worse for wear.
- Boobs of Steel: The heavy cruisers, carriers and battleships are more physically-developed as their bust size increases with ship class hierarchy, the slow battleships being fully-grown adults who are the strongest in terms of physical strength and firepower, and they also possess the largest breasts.
- Combat Pragmatist: Being outnumbered in comparison to the Abyssals, who take on the world by spawning more Abyssals from the depths, the ship girls resort to using various techniques in battle in order to even the odds, from throwing torpedoes to carriers quick-firing arrows to summon planes en masse, battleships holding their cannons by the barrels and using them as makeshift maces to hit their opponents, or simply walking up to and beating the tar out of the Abyssals.
- Created As An Adult: The senior ship classes are artificial humans who are created as adults from day one, with adult mental faculties and capabilities corresponding to their ship class.
- Discount Lesbians: The ship girls are crafted to be bisexual, and can fall in love with Admirals of either gender or other ship girls, explaining the in-game behavior of ship girls who are attracted to their sisters and the in-story polyamorous relationship of Admiral Mako.
- Drone Deployer: The carriers send out planes en masse which are manned by Fairies who can function as either an Attack Drone or Surveillance Drone.
- Everyone Is Bi: Are created to be bisexual and can be attracted to Admirals of either gender or other ship girls, including their own sister ships.
- Flower Motifs: Lotus Flowers, due to their ability to grow and rise above muddy waters to blossom as unstained flower, and mirror how ship girls rise from the carnage and death of war to be spawned as beautiful ship girls in a second life.
- Fragile Speedster: Destroyers, partially because they move fast but have the bodies of children and thus possess less endurance than other classes, and their armor does little to stop shells fired by most enemy cannons.
- Immortality Begins at Twenty: Destroyers age faster than any other ship class while long-lived carriers and battleships hardly age, leading theorists to come to the conclusion that their growth plateaus when reaching adulthood.
- Immortality Hurts: Painfully dying to war wounds before being revived to the peak of health only to do it all over again is not fun.
- Inhumanly Beautiful Race: Crafted to be a race of Amazonian soldiers who are personifications of World War 2 ships, they are created to be physically superior to human women in terms of looks and capabilities.
- Lightning Bruiser: Light cruisers, since they specialize in speed and agility with their teenage bodies, and are significantly more durable than destroyers.
- Heavy cruisers can be categorized as this, although they are more on the slower side but more heavily armored as a result, while light cruisers are on the opposite end of the spectrum, sliding into fragile speedster territory with their higher speed but lower armor and endurance.
- Only a Flesh Wound: Within reason, but most ship girls can shrug off losing a arm or a leg.
- Mighty Glacier: The battleships possess unmatched firepower, but move at a glacial pace compared to the rest of the ship girl classes.
- Past-Life Memories: Ship girls are crafted with their memories of World War 2 already pre-programmed into them, which plays a role in influencing their behavior and explaining certain character traits.
- Reincarnation: Verbally confirmed by the manifestions of their souls, which is the only constant in the reincarnation cycle between ship girl and Abyssal.
- Super Soldier: All the ship girls are crafted to be physically superior to humans with armored skin and heightened stamina, the strongest battleships possessing armor thick enough to deflect small-caliber shells with little consequence.
- Übermensch: The logical extreme of what ship girls should aspire to be, free from human control, striving to help mankind at large without being constrained by human values and morality as they are created to eventually rise above them.
Humans and Fairies
- Badass Normal: The humans don't get to do much which directly constitutes as 'badass' while Fairies mostly man cannons or planes in battle, but with Admiral Mako planning and commanding their sorties, and technicians who participate in Project Psyche and attempt to understand and play around with futuristic technology, they can be considered as such as a whole.
- Combat and Support: Provides the 'support' part in spades while the ship girls fight as they maintain weapons, keep the base in running order, research into possible developments and Admiral Mako is the linchpin who leads everyone and sorties the ship girls.
- Amazon Chaser: Prefers adult ship girls who are very preferably well-endowed, are of equal height to or taller than her and possess unmatched superstrength.
- Battle Harem: Admiral Mako has both members of the Yamato-Class battleships in her harem, plus Nagato and Kongou, two Takao-Class and Myoukou-Class cruisers along with Hiryuu. Combined, that's enough firepower to rival an entire naval armada.
- Defensive Feint Trap: As stated below, the Battle of Twelve Navies features one where the Abyssals are lured into advancing by a retreating ship girl force, then being trapped where Admiral Mako wants them to be before a coordinated attack wipes a significant portion of them out.
- Harem Seeker: Admiral Mako seeks to be in a relationship with as many well-endowed ship girls as possible, regardless of country origin, even wishing to win the war in order to 'stuff my face into the voluminous bosoms of' big-breasted Abyssal Princesses.
- Mission Control: Plans the sorties while the ship girls execute them, and she'll be on the radio in order to give commands and move ship girls in place.
- Non-Action Girl: Compared to their ship girls who fight on the battlefield while Admirals plan their sorties, Admirals are usually relegated to the sidelines as Mission Control who don't fight at all.
- The Strategist: Part of her job as Admiral, coming up with the battle tactics for the Battle of Twelve Navies, by trapping the Abyssals with rising sea mines before bombarding them with JASDF jet fighters, torpedo bombers, ship girl cannon and torpedo salvo wiping out most of the Abyssal vanguard.
- The Engineer: Being a Higher-Tech Species primarily consisting of engineers, they are capable of crafting and maintaining ship girl weapons, superhuman android bodies with fully-functioning personalities along with helping improve upon existing human technology.
- Higher-Tech Species: Despite being a diminutive species, the Fairies are technologically advanced enough to replicate the sensation of flesh with steel, although the soul, a source of seemingly-infinite energy which is implanted in ship girls is beyond even their capacity to create, leaving their origins unknown.
- Mr. Fixit: They aren't shown directly fixing the ship girl bodies, but they create nano-machines which help to patch up the injuries of the ship girls with resources.
- Mundane Solution: Some of their tools are just downsized versions of existing everyday tools despite being a diminutive race of advanced engineers.
- Need to spread medicinal gel? Use extendable paint rollers and concreting tools.
- Need to go underwater? Create mini-submarines, or simpler still, use a diving suit with breathing gear.
- Need to start up cars on a battlefield, but don't want to hunt for the keys or waste time picking locks? Here's a makeshift Skeleton Key to unlock them all without much fuss.
- A Nazi by Any Other Name: Played up in this fanfiction like nobody's business.
- Alien Invasion: These aliens come from the bottom of the ocean, and wish to eradicate all human life.
- Amazon Brigade: The dark version of this trope in contrast to the ship girls due to their hatred of humans, but they are a race of (mostly) female humanoids serving as soldiers.
- Battle Aura: The Princesses are the ones most likely to possess one that is commonly red in color, matching their red Abyssal eyes.
- Beehive Barrier: The Abyssal Princesses possess them and have three layers to block shells, bombs and torpedoes, and must be broken in order to hurt the Princesses within.
- Technically, it's the Beasts which possess the shields, and the Princesses (mostly) never leave their Beasts' side.
- Dark Action Girl: The humanoid Abyssals and the Princesses qualify as this, as the weaker ship classes lean more towards sea monster-esque designs.
- Death Ray: A staple technique of Abyssal Beasts, annihilating anything, even ship girls who stand in their way, but can't be used in succession.
- Evil Counterpart Race: The Abyssals are this to the ship girls, despising all of mankind and wishing to commit worldwide genocide in contrast to the ship girls, who protect the humans and work hand-in-hand with them.
- Final Solution: Their endgame after winning the war, where the Abyssals intend to wipe out all of mankind via this method after improving on processing speed.
- In Your Nature to Destroy Yourselves: The conversation with Woxanne in Chapter 7 hints that the Abyssals see humans as this, unable to truly unite as one people due to their self-destructive tendencies and shortsightedness. Subverted as of Chapter 60.
- Kill All Humans: The Abyssals are hell-bent on bringing about the extermination of all mankind.
- Meaningful Name: Several Abyssal Princesses and their Beasts possess meaningful names, some include:
- The Re-Class is named WReck while her tailed Beast is named Quetzalcoatl, a feathered-serpent god.
- The Battleship Symbiotic Water Demon is named Phoebe while her twin-headed Beast is named Jaunus, after the two-headed Roman god.
- The Northern Water Princess is named Helena while her spherical Beast which is stuck to her back is named Atlas.
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: As stated above, Phoebe, Atlas, Quetzalcoatl, Janus, Izanami are used to name many Beasts and a few Princesses.
- Super Soldier: Of the Dark Action Girl variety, leading an Alien Invasion against mankind to wipe them out and are at odds with the ship girls.
- We Have Reserves: The preferred modus operandi of the Abyssals; throw numbers at the problem. Unfortunately tends to lead into Conservation of Ninjutsu on their part, although the Abyssals still pose a massive threat due to their seemingly never-ending reserves.
Abyssal J.O.A.N. units (Spoilers!)
- Came Back Wrong: The Abyssals are rumored to be dark reincarnations of ship girls with regrets and unresolved issues in their past lives, but the J.O.A.N. units take this to the next level by retaining their memories as well as warped versions of their former personalities.
- Dark Action Girl: Very much so, with their New Wave powers, powerful Beasts and murderous personalities.
- Evil Costume Switch: This happens to the J.O.A.N. units to various degrees, the most extreme one being Amatsukaze who goes from wearing a one-piece school uniform to a fanservice-y metal thong and mini-tank top.
- Evil Plan: Both taking over the world and killing all humans, and they mostly plan to go about it in that order because it's easier to begin mass extermination when they've got all of mankind under their thumb. For more evil points, the plan which produced the J.O.A.N. units is called Apocalypse, named after the final events stated in the Bible.
- Evil Evolves: The J.O.A.N. units are the next stage of the Abyssal innovation process with their transforming beasts and New Wave superpowers, although whether they are objectively stronger than existing Abyssal Princess has yet to be seen.
- Fun with Acronyms: J.O.A.N. is used to categorize the Abyssal units who are uniquely designed to lead the land invasion with their Beasts which can transform into vehicle forms, and stands for Joint Offensive Abyssal Newtype.
- Rapid Aging: A downplayed example, light cruisers and destroyers who are teenagers and childen are aged into an adult body in order to improve mobility and stamina.
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: Indra, Sekhmet, Simurgh, Cynthia, Jasconius, just to name a few.
- Secret Weapon: They're the boss units created specifically to lead the land invasion Apocalypse, and along with having their Beasts modified to be able to transform into vehicle mode, they possess New Wave powers to make up for the loss in armour and firepower.
- The End of the World as We Know It: The goal of their plan 'Apocalypse', to herald the end of days via World War III.
- Transforming Mecha: The J.O.A.N. units, Abyssal land-based Princess counterparts, possess lighter Beasts who can transform into land or aerial vehicles to facilitate faster movement across anywhere that isn't the ocean.
- Arch-Enemy: Is this to Akashi, and vice versa.
- Badass Cape: Naturally an Abyssal-colored jet black.
- Electric Jellyfish: Has one as her Beast, aptly named Indra.
- Flying Dutchman: She commands a modernized and submersible Nagato-Class aviation battleship which can surface anywhere and assault targets via Macross Missile Massacre or More Dakka, and can sortie more Abyssal units or planes from its hull.
- High-Voltage Death: Her New Wave power allows her to do this via laser-taser with her powered gloves, electrocuting several ship girls on the Kamogawa City Hall roof.
- Power Perversion Potential: Yuubari utilizes her New Wave electricity manipulation powers and her jellyfish Beast to provide erotic electro-stimulation in order to please Akashi when they make out in Chapter 52.
- Powered Armor: Downplayed, her powered gloves, cape and winged headdress still leaves her body rather exposed.
- Psycho Electro: Clearly somewhat off her rocker and a little too obsessed in her love for Akashi after being resurrected, although her scheming nature does help to mask the 'Psycho' half.
- Shock and Awe: Yuubari possesses this as her New Wave power.
- Utility Belt: As of now, it holds smoke grenades which combust when electrified, and releases an EMP blast with a button press to incapacitate enemies around her.