- Age-Gap Romance: With Palmer and every other girl he seduced with his wedding ring play.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Danny constantly lies to women to get them in bed and has quite an inappropriate sense of humor, but he still makes lots of money as one of L.A's top plastic surgeons. He claims to have received his doctorate without ever reading a book.
- Gag Nose: Adam Sandler wore a gag nose at the beginning of the film to portray what Danny's nose looked like before his nose job.
- Kavorka Man: Sandler isn't ugly, but this movie is one of the best examples of his Ugly Guy, Hot Wife shenanigans in that both Brooklyn Decker and Jennifer Aniston are thirsting after him. Even before this, he receives an opening montage of hooking up with girls out of his league.
- Opportunistic Bastard: Danny is mostly portrayed as this as the beginning of the film, as he sees hot woman and an opportunity to sleep with them by lying to them.
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: With Katherine by the movie's end.
Played by: Jennifer Aniston
- Adrenaline Makeover: At the beginning of the movie, she is just a plain assistant that doesn't take much interest in her appearance. But when Danny takes her on a mission to act as his ex-wife, she has a major makeover that reveals that she looks super hot.
- All Women Love Shoes: Katherine is shopping for expensive shoes with Danny and is amazed at how beautiful they are. She then threatens Danny that she won't play as his ex-wife if he doesn't get her the shoes, and she ends up getting two pairs.
- Christmas Cake: Katherine has a tendency to see herself this way.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: Katherine's hair used to be quite dull and worn up in a simple ponytail, but when she gets a new haircut she is more confident in playing the role as Danny's hot ex-wife.
- Letting Her Hair Down: Katherine used to always wear her hair up in a simple ponytail, but after her makeover she proudly wears her hair down, showcasing her new haircut.
- Makeover Montage: You see her shopping for new clothes with Danny and getting a new hairstyle.
- Obliviously Beautiful: When she was Danny's assistant she never tried to look beautiful and just wore plain clothes and glasses that didn't show off her beauty. Even when she gets a makeover and her true beauty is revealed, she still compares herself to Palmer saying that she will never be as pretty as her.
- Purely Aesthetic Glasses: When she was Danny's assistant she was always seen with glasses, but as soon as she gets a makeover they are never seen again.And she can suddenly see perfectly fine.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Her makeover shows that with abit of fashion and a new hairstyle, she can look beautiful.
- The Glasses Gotta Go: Her glasses are gone when she undergoes a makeover.
- Third Wheel: Katherine is this for most of the film when she plays the ex-wife of lovers Danny and Palmer.
- Age-Gap Romance: Plenty of jokes are made at the fact that she's noticeably younger than Danny.
- Bare Your Midriff: She is seen baring her midriff when the family goes for a hike, and she also reveals her midriff more when she gets into a bikini and dives into a lake.
- Distracted by the Sexy: A young boy gets distracted by her sexiness at a party, and he trips over and hurts his knee.
- Dumb Blonde: Played With. Despite her status as a teacher, Palmer's key personality trait is that she is incredibly gullible. The lies she absorbs stretch to such ridiculous levels that it takes her beyond naivety and into this territory.
- Everyone Loves Blondes: Basically all the characters think Palmer is exceptionally beautiful, everyone seems to love her personality and looks.
- Friend to All Children: She's a sixth grade math teacher and insists on meeting Danny's kids immediately upon believing he has some.
- Hot Teacher: Palmer is a math teacher, and everyone in the movie thinks of her as hot.
- Informed Attractiveness: The audience is often informed of her attractiveness:
- A boy falls and injures himself because he is distracted by her. Danny even tells her that her hotness pushed him down the stairs.
- Ms. Fanservice: Gets a lot of Fanservicey scenes, such as a Sexy Surfacing Shot of her walking out of the ocean in a bikini and a Toplessness from the Back scene when she drops her Modesty Towel to lure Danny into a Shower of Love.
- Super Gullible: Played for laughs, as she takes practically everything said to her at face value with no reservations whatsoever.
- Walking Swimsuit Scene: She is seen often in a bikini.