This is the Character page for the Inheritance of Cards and Demons. Their Blue Exorcist and Cardcaptor Sakura canonical characterization applies until it doesn't. Canon-only tropes go here and here. List only examples that appears in the fanfic itself or is expanded in the fanfic.WARNING: UNMARKED SPOILERS DISCRETION IS ADVISED
Characters appearing in Inheritance of Cards and Demons. Currently a Work In Progress, additions are greatly welcomed.
Please be aware that there may be unmarked spoilers. You have been warned.
All Japanese names are in the Eastern order, subject to change.
Okumura RinThe main character of the series. Son of Satan and newest Cardcaptor, he possesses great magical potential. Is 12 years old at the beginning of the series and 15 as of the start of the third arc.
- Almighty Janitor: Has only just entered exorcist classes but is already capable due to his demon strength and sensing ability.
- Apathy Killed the Cat: Much of the conflict could be resolved if he just asked why the monastery keeps the fact that they're exorcists a secret from him or asked what is Yukio doing in cram school.
- Badass Adorable: He's a sweet 12/13-year old boy, but he has a Super Strength and a powerful mage.
- Book Dumb: Starts out as this. He has trouble at school and dislikes doing homework. After Sekki starts teaching and encouraging him he catches up academicly with his age group and mostly averts this, though he never learns to like school.
- But Not Too Foreign: His mother is half German, making him 1/4 German.
- Cassandra Truth: Shura did not believe him when he tried to warn her of an attack he foresaw.
- Chef of Iron: Is both badass and a Supreme Chef.
- The Chosen One: Chosen by Sakura to become the latest Cardcaptor.
- Combat Pragmatist: Uses whatever resources and strategies he has available to win.
- Uses magic in the middle of a physical battle with Fight.
- Uses Dash to win at tug-o-war against Power.
- Uses Shadow to escape Maze.
- Cool Loser: Rin is a sweet and sociable boy with cool magical powers, but is ostracized as monster by his classmates.
- Discard and Draw
- The Dreaded: Rin, among the Junior High students (and even the staff). Seeing as he considers fighting a gang of delinquents who attack him punishment, there is some reason to. Unfortunately it leads to Rin being ostracised, and unable to make friends easily because of his reputation.
- Friend to All Children: Rin. All of the kids in the hospital adore him and he often helps children whenever they need it. Eijis cousins love him as well.
- Friendless Background: He has no friends outside of his brother.
- Hybrid Power: Has both the blue fire of his father Satan and human magic from his mother.
- He Cleans Up Nicely: Rin makes a genuinely stunning Snow White for the school play.
- Idiot Ball: The normally fairly self aware Rin suddenly loses the ability to notice his own attraction to Renzou in the third arc.
- Ineffectual Loner: He tries to keep people at a distance so they do not get endangered by but he really needs friends.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Rin's eyes are his most noticeable and most eyecatching feature.
- Likes Older Women: Both of Rin's crushes have been on adult women.
- Lineage Comes from the Father: He is the son of Satan, afterall. Although his magical heritage comes from his mother, who was a powerful human mage.
- Locked Out of the Loop: While he knows about the existence of demons and that all the priests at the monastery are Exorcists, he still doesnt know that he is a half-demon nor that he is the Son of Satan or about Yukio also being an exorcist.
- Magical Girl: A male version, but he is the successor to Cardcaptor Sakura after all.
- Oblivious to Love: Fails to notice multiple people have crushes on him. Also fails to recognize his own crush on Renzou.
- Precocious Crush: On Tsukishiro. It later turns out that it's really because he's reacting to the magic within her, since Tsukishiro is the false form of Yue. It helps that she's the only teacher actually nice to him.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: He gets to play Snow White as a Cross-Cast Role for the school play because no one else had the looks for it — not only the brunette locks and fair complexion, but the beauty.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Despite still being sealed, his demonic eyes manifest briefly in Chapter 24 when he believes Snow has buried the bag with Shiros present. Cue Unstoppable Rage.
- Real Men Wear Pink/In Touch with His Feminine Side: Rin is incredibly strong and feared as a demon. He has very feminine hobbies such as cooking, cleaning, knitting, sewing and carries a stuffed animal (Kero) with him. He also does not mind being turned into a girl by the Switch card or wearing dresses as a boy. In fact he enjoys both those things and sees being a girl as a way to interact with people in ways he normally can't.
- Secret Secret-Keeper: The monastery tries to keep the fact that they are exorcists who hunt demons a secret, but he knows already due to his True Sight. He keeps it a secret to keep their minds at ease.
- Seers: After being unsealed he starts having more vivid foretelling dreams and getting more frequent visions of the future.
- Selective Obliviousness: Rin has been known to force himself to forget upsetting information such as being the Son of Satan, which he learned the first time from the Return. This might also be the main reason behind his obliviousness to romantic attention.
- Sensor Character: Rin has the ability to sense demons, as demonstrated in canon, as well as magic. Kero thinks it's his specialty. Later in IoC he is capable enough to sense normal humans. Word of God is that Sense is one of Rins major centers.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: He has a thing for kind people: he had crushes on Tsukishiro and the owner of the Sugar Bell Bakery due to their kind natures and was attracted to Riku due to him being a Nice Guy.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Rin has a very dirty mouth. Kero always learns a few new swears off him and wonders how Rin even knows so many swears.
- Sleepyhead: Being a Cardcaptor is a stressful job, although he tries to stay up in Tsukishiro's class.
- He also gets very tired and sleepy after using a lot of magic, which is worryingly more common in Inheritance of Magic
- Superpower Lottery: Super strength, incredible immune system, magic, blue flames, Sakura cards, superior senses. On a more mundane note he can cook like a god, clean, sew, take care of others when they need it, is good with small children, and manages to do all of the above while also being strong enough to bench press a car.
- Supreme Chef: He is an excellent cook who impresses everyone he feeds. Kero even says his cooking is comparable to magicaly created food such as what the Cook and Sweet cards make. He also pays attention to nutrition and tries to make meals healthy as well as delicious.
- Teen Genius: He a prodigy at magic, with sensory ability and a learning curve that impress all other human mages he meets.
- Through His Stomach: He wins a lot of people over through his cookingo.
- True Sight: His mage heritage allows him to see the supernatural quite easily. Apparently he can see more than a masho would enable.
- Weirdness Magnet: Between his magic, his status as a social outcast, and his tendency to get into fights he gets involved in a lot of trouble throughout the series.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: While he mostly acts his age he is very serious about catching and caring for the cards, does not abuse his powers, tries to be considerate of others, and makes an effort to be understanding of his family keeping secrets until it blows up in his face.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: As of IoM Chapter 17 he is this, having to wear a dress for the role of Snow White in the school play. As in canon he does not mind at all.
Keroberos/KeroThe Sun guardian of the Cards, created by Clow Reed. Secretly lives with Rin at the monastery where he teaches, helps, and advises about the Cards and magic in general.
- Big Eater: He can eat a whole cheesecake by himself despite his small size.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: Gets wasted after eating liquor chocolates.
- The Conscience: Kero continuously asks Rin whether keeping his magic a secret from his family is good idea and encourages him to give his family a chance or to make some friends. Although he does acknowledge that Rin's family situation is different from Sakura's.
- Familiar: He takes offense to being called one, he's a Guardian Beast!.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia. Sakura altered his memory with his permission before passing the cards on to Rin. This was so Rin could be tested like Sakura without the guardians knowing too much or having to betray Rin by keeping secrets. His memory is returned to him at the end of the second arc.
- Mentor Mascot: Wouldn't be Cardcaptor Sakura without it.
- Otaku: He plays video games when Rin doesn't take him places.
- Parental Substitute: While still irresponsible, he sometimes parents Rin when he needs guidance and emotional support. Word of God says that he considers himself to be more of a big brother though.
- Power of the Sun: Has Sun type magic in opposition to Yue.
- Playing with Fire: The Firey is under his domain and is able to make fireball once Rin captures it.
- Sleep-Mode Size: Looks like a cute stuffed animal most of the time.
Tsukishiro SekkiThe current human incarnation of Yue. Was Rin's history and homeroom teacher for most of middle school. Also teaches magic.
- Artificial Human: Just like Yukito, she is the host of Yue.
- Badass Teacher: Tsukishiro Sekki, Junior High Teacher by day and powerful Moon Mage by night (or whenever a magical incident occurs). She is also Rins magic teacher.
- Big Bad Friend: While she genuinely likes Rin and became a friend and mentor out of her own will, she is setting up TheJudgement against him. Once Rin passes the Judgement she drops this aspect.
- Big Eater: Tsukishiro Sekki, who brings a three tiered bento as her usual lunch. All for herself.
- Brought Down to Normal: She loses her magic since she has to conserve magic to sustain herself and Yue due Rin not having enough magic.
- Briefly happens again at the start of Io D as Yue could not handle Rin's newly released demon magic until filters were set up.
- Composite Character: She has Kaho Mizuki's mysteriousness and role of Mentor to the Cardcaptor, Tomoyo's costume-making and Yukito's role of being the Cardcaptor's first crush and the vessel of Yue.
- Fashion Designer: Designs Rin costumes to wear during his Cardcaptor outings.
- Healing Hands: Demonstrates the ability to heal Rins minor wounds in Chapter 17 of IoC.
- Head-Turning Beauty: Pretty much everyone from her co-workers to her students find her absolutely gorgeous.
- Lunacy: A particularly powerful Moon mage
- Meaningful Name: Tsukishiro means "Moon Castle", and she is a Moon mage. It was also Yukito's last name and like him she is Yues host. Her first name, meanwhile, means "Snow Princess" which is comparable to Yukito's name meaning "Snow Rabbit".
- The Mentor: She helps Rin with his magic and schoolwork and lends a helping hand when he needs it.
- Nice Girl: She is very patient and understanding.
- Oblivious to Love: A co-worker took her on a date which she didn't realize as she attended for the food.
- Only Sane Woman: Tsukishiro, after the events of Chapter 4, is the only one of the faculty to be logical and speak in Rins defense. It helps that she is also a mage and knows Rin is the Cardcaptor.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: A much needed one as she's the only teacher that Rin can get help from.
- Secret-Keeper/Secret Secret-Keeper: She know from the start that Rin's a Cardcaptor without and with his knowledge.
- Seers: Admits to possessing foresight, and can observe places from afar through a scrying bowl filled with water.
- Significant Birthdate: Tsukishiro Sekki was supposedly born on the 6th of April, the exact same day Rin released the Sakura Cards.
- Split Personality: Sort-of, with Yue. It's complicated. Sekki is really Yue, except that Sekki has her own identity and personality as well.
- Supernatural Is Purple: She has purple eyes and she's a powerful Moon mage along with being the vessel of Yue.
Tropes unique to the whole Monastery
- Dramatic Irony: They believe as long they can keep Rin ignorant of the fact that they're exorcists, the seal holding back Rin's demonic heritage will hold. Unbeknownst to them, Rin already knows and the seal is still holding.
- Innocent Bigot: They foster the belief that Rin as a non-trained human should be kept ignorant and is to be protected and accounted for. Which is unintentionally straining Yukio's relationship with Rin.
- Japanese Christian: They do practice Christian beliefs in their offtime which is noted during the Christmas Episode when Rin notes that they celebrate Christmas as a family holiday as opposed to as a romantic one as is for most of Japan.
- Locked Out of the Loop: They have no idea of Rin's magic or his activities as Cardcaptor and believe that Rin doesn't know that they're exorcists.
- Perpetual Poverty: The monastery is broke all the time due the fact they have to replace their exorcist equipment constantly, pay for Rin and Yukio's schooling, pay for Yukio's training and pay for any damages caused by Rin's fights. Money is always tight.
- Overprotective Dad: A strange example, but everyone at the monastery is like this towards Rin regarding demons and try to have him stay home when no one is available to watch him.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Shiro and Yukio believe the magical activity due to the Cards is demonic. They would be right as usually magic is very rare.
Fujimoto ShiroRin and Yukio's foster father. He is a Paladin rank exorcist and a priest.
- Badass Preacher: He is the Paladin of the True Cross Order after all.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: He is an amazing exorcist with mastery over all major branches of skills in the order, is the highest ranking of all exorcists, who is also a reasonable authority figure and teacher to those under him. He is also very quirky, loves to tease his sons especially, is a camera fiend and amazingly embarrassing parent, and he gets along with Mephisto.
- Camera Fiend: Has a tendency to stalk Rin and Yukio with a camera whe never possible.
- Cool Old Guy
- Fantastic Racism: Seems to have had it in the past. By the time the twins are older he has taken a level in kindness and despairs against the institutionalized racism of the True Cross Order.
- The Gadfly: Loves to tease his sons, such as calling Rin a shorty when Yukio become an inch than him and handcuffing his sons to each other to force them to spend time with each other.
- Good Parents: For all his flaws, he is a supportive and loving parent to his adoptive sons.
- In spite of the Parental Neglect stemming from all the secrets he does make an effort to give Rin attention and is supportive of his friendship with Sekki.
- The Gunslinger: Favors a shotgun as his weapon.
- Papa Wolf: Is very protective of both of his sons, though especially Rin due to his percieved vulnerability.
- When learning Rin was attacked by what he believes to be a demon (actually the Watery Card) at the swimming pool he immediately leads a team there to exorcise it.
- Yukio at one point in IOC thinks about how Shiro has used the call desk as punishment for being reckless.
- He nearly panicked the first time Rin passed out from using Time and Sekki called him to pick Rin up.
- He was also very concerned when Dream kept Rin asleep.
- He worries about Yukio overworking himself and may regret starting his training so early.
- He was terrified to the point of anger when he figured out that Rin was learning magic and had been in who knows how many dangerous situations without his knowledge.
- Anytime he hears about anything weird happening at school or anywhere else his sons might be spending their time he prioritizes it or pushes someone to deal with it quickly.
- Parental Neglect: It is not intentional on Shiro's part, but the combination of everyone at the monastery being busy and actively keeping Rin out of the loop about so much of his life has in turn resulted in Shiro himself missing a lot of critical development in Rins life and growth.
- He also does not often seem to notice if Rin is upset until it leads to him lashing out and it does not seem like he gives Rin much guidance or help with everyday life to the extent he does with Yukio.
- At one point in IOM he is forced to go to work while Rin is recovering from magical exaustion even though he wants to stay and take care of him.
- Parents as People: He loves his sons, but he can't be as helpful as he wants to be. He unintentionally neglects Rin due to his work and can't really help him with his bullying problem. He also does not seem able to help him with school work or his social issues.
- Related to poor communication kills is the way he never talks to either of his sons about their feelings or problems.
- Poor Communication Kills: He knows that Rin is in some supernatural trouble and knows Rin isn't telling him anything, but he doesn't tell Rin anything or call him on his secrecy. A great deal of the family drama we see could have been avoided with a bit of honest communication.
- Put on a Bus: As of the end of ch 1 of Io D he is in a coma and will likely remain that way until after ch 23, where Word of God says the story really starts to diverge from aoex canon.
- Spared by the Adaptation: He is alive but in a coma.
- Would Hit a Girl: Perfectly willing to kill a pregnant Yuri Egin.
Okumura YukioRin's younger twin brother. Youngest exorcist in history.
- Always Second Best: He really doesn't like it when his brother is better at things than him. Unless it involves Rin's cooking skills.
- Badass Normal: Offscreen and unknown to Rin.
- Badass Bookworm: The same.
- Big Brother Worship: He adores his brother and wants to be there for him. This is slowly changing as time goes on.
- Broken Ace: Is adored throughout their school for being handsome, cool and smart but has major self-esteem issues and hates his classmates' cruelty to his brother. He also has a tendency to overwork himself and neglect his brother.
- But Not Too Foreign: His mother is half German, making him 1/4 German.
- Condescending Compassion: Yukio unwittingly treats Rin like this. He believes that Rin can't function on his own in society and Rin should step back and Yukio take care of things. He really doesn't like when this superiority comes into question such as when Rin starts getting better grades on his own or making friends of his own.
- Designated Victim: He is frequently a target of magical attacks due to sharing the same magical signature as Rin.
- Green-Eyed Monster: He gets very jealous of Rin spending time with friends, especially of Ying Hua.
- The Gunslinger: Favors handguns as his primary weapons.
- Hard Work Hardly Works: Zigzagged. He studies every hard in school and is their top scorer as a result. Although Rin is stronger than him despite not having any of Yukio's training. Which he's beginning to resent Rin for.
- Heel Realization: In Chapter 14 of Io M, he finally realizes that he has been distancing Rin due to his exorcist training.
- His Own Worst Enemy: Most of Yukio's problems are self-inflicted. Said problems include being overworked from the amount of missions he requests in order to advance faster and growing apart from Rin due to how little time they can spend together.
- Innocent Bigot: He's beginning to look down on his brother, believing that Rin needs to be coddled and controlled of to be kept safe. Something the monastery unintentionally reinforces.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: Downplayed. He sees himself as being the stronger twin, being a trainee exorcist but has very low self esteem especially when it becomes obvious that his brother is still stronger than him.
- Internalized Categorism: To his father's despair, he's beginning to internalize the exorcist's institutionalized Fantastic Racism towards demons. So he starting to hate himself for half-demon traits.
- Jerkass Has a Point: He thinks very little of Ying Hua and suspects that's she planning something. Which he's absolutely right about.
- Never My Fault: Whenever Yukio laments his splintering relationship with Rin, he blames it on Rin's secretiveness and how busy Rin is. This is despite the fact their relationship splintered in the first place due to Yukio keeping his exorcist training a secret and the training's grueling hours.
- Teen Genius: Is the youngest exorcist in history and book smart enough to get a full scholarship into the best school in the area.
- Terrible Artist: Much to his frustration.
- Weirdness Magnet: Due to his latent magic and having the same magical signature as brother, Yukio is subjected to many magical attacks.
Tropes specific to the school
- Academy of Adventure: A lot of Rin's adventures take place in the school.
- Original Character: Rin's classmates are original to the author, justified due to the cast of Blue Exorcist being too young or not going to Rin and Yukio's school.
- Weirdness Magnet: The school is always subject to some sort of attack by the cards. Justified as the school is built directly over a Ley Line, drawing the cards to power themselves through its magic.
- Abusive Parents: His dad was so abusive that police intervention was required and he's happy that his father is no longer around.
- Ascended Extra: Originally to be a minor character for Rin to get exposition from but became a major character due to his growing feelings for Rin.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: He becomes fascinated with Rin when Rin is very friendly and polite despite his terrible reputation, leading Eiji to want to know more about Rin.
- Crush Blush: Happens around Rin a lot.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Had an abusive father and he and his divorced mother now live with his aunt and little cousins.
- Everyone Has Standards: He refuses to sell Rin's weakness to bullies even when offered money or threatened.
- Freudian Excuse: He always charges for his services because he's very poor at home.
- Knowledge Broker: Rin often goes to him to seek out information he needs to find the Cards. He gets his information through various means: rumormongering, other students and a secret backdoor to a police database.
- Mr. Exposition: Gives Rin information about their school or rumors going going around.
- Only in It for the Money: He is very sly and will sell the information for the right prices.
- Promotion to Parent: He has to take care of his little cousins because his mom and his aunt are too busy working.
- OOC Is Serious Business: He actually refuses to take Rin's money when he is asked for advice when he sees that Rin is very scared.
- Secret Secret-Keeper: Sees Rin fighting Storm in Chapter 18 and knows about his magic, but keeps it a secret.
- Straight Gay: He has a crush on Rin.
- Cloudcuckoolander: She's a bit out there.
- The Cuckoolander Was Right: While she's a bit of a spacecase and kinda ditzy, she's one of the few to figure out Rin's character on her own, keep her memories of Rin using magic (because she thought he was a ghostbuster, admittedly) and figured that Rin is magic and gets away with it.
- Hidden Depths: She's a very talented singer, one of the best in their grade.
- Ms. Exposition: She would frequently keep track of supernatural activities and would Rin inform for him to take care of.
- Nightmare Fetishist: She adores supernatural things like ghosts, demons and mages and tries to become Rin's friend to get closer to the supernatural.
- Secret-Keeper: Initially Rin hides the fact that he's a Cardcaptor by making her believe that he's a ghostbuster. But she figures out on her own that Rin's a mage.
- Hot-Blooded: She's very gung-ho and doesn't back down without Hiromi holding her back.
- Jerkass: She's extremely rude to Rin and calls him a demon to his face.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: But she only does so due to his bad reputation and is willing to tolerate him and put side her enmity for Hiromi's sake.
- Tsundere: She is very sweet to Hiromi but has a mean streak.
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: She loves the stuffed animal that Sayaka won for her.
- Nice Girl: She tries to be nice to Rin and implores that Sayaka not pick fights with him.
- Asian and Nerdy
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Wishes he had more courage and a way to defend himself. Cue being possessed by the Armour Card and beating the hell out of the bullies.
- Cute Bookworm: He enjoys reading all sorts of different topics.
- Demonic Possession: Gets possessed by the Armour Card in Chapter 6
- Protectorate: Rin protects him from his bullies.
- Shrinking Violet: Is extremely shy at first, being too timid to look people in the eye.
- Victim of the Week: Falls victim to the Armor card.
Ruan Ying HuaA powerful mage there to help transform the Cards.
- Beneath Suspicion: No one suspects Ying Hua of anything after a background check. No one thinks the sweet, kind foreign exchange student is capable of anything.
- Cruel to Be Kind: She puts Rin through the ringer in her trials but she does it in Rin's best interests. She wants Rin to change the Sakura cards into Rin cards in a controlled environment and train in him in his magic in preparation for him to fight demons and exorcists.
- Expy: of Eriol Hiiragizawa.
- History Repeats: She is to Rin what Eriol was to Sakura.
- I Did What I Had to Do: Despite her reluctance, she puts Rin through trials to make sure that he turns the Sakura Cards into Rin Cards to save Rin's life and preserve the cards.
- Nice Girl: Willingly befriends Rin despite other students telling her of his bad reputation and is genuine about her friendship with him.
- New Transfer Student: She's an exchange student from Hong Kong.
- Meaningful Name: Her name is Mandarin for Sakura.
- Sheep in Sheep's Clothing: When she starts getting close to Rin, Shiro has her background researched in fear that she was a plant from the Vatican Church. To his relief she is just an ordinary girl.
- Silk Hiding Steel: Despite her sweetness, she keeps Ruby Moon on a tight leash to make sure the latter will not force things to make Yukio give up his magic.
- Verbal Tic: "Hoe?"
The Sakura Cards/The Rin CardsA deck of magical cards created by Clow Reed. Each card is actually a spirit with its own power as described by its name. They grew so strong that Clow Reed created the Clow Book to keep the cards in. They were later mastered and expanded by Clow Reed's successor Sakura Kinomoto. They were originally 53 cards, only to be expanded to 62 cards when Sakura made her own cards. Rin accidentally lets the cards loose leading to the series Gotta Catch 'Em All story. He later has to transform them into Rin Cards so they can be kept alive via her magical energy.
- Adaptation Expansion: The story uses the anime's Adaptation Expansion number of 53 only to boost it to 62 with the addition of Sakura's creations. The number later increases to 63 when Rin creates the Balance card.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Cook is a genuinely sweet Card who just wants to create food and let others enjoy it. However, when Rin is accidentally harmed by careless exorcists, she makes full use of her ability to control kitchen implements to go after them. This includes knives and a deep fryer.
- Camera Fiend: Record, which is no surprise considering Sakura modeled it after Tomoyo.
- Cards of Power: The Sakura Cards, of course.
- Demonic Possession: Sword pulls this off on Yukio in Chapter 7. Rin is not happy with it.
- Dreaming of Things to Come: While under the influence of Dream in Chapter 27, Rin sees a number of events that have not yet occurred, including the discovery of the Illuminatis artificial Gehenna Gate by the Angelic Legion, having discussion with his future love and what appears to be the Judgement.
- Elemental Powers: The four high elemental cards and several of the higher level cards under them.
- Shock and Awe: The Thunder
- An Ice Person: The Freeze is an ice koi and The Snow is easily mistaken for a yuki onna.
- Making a Splash: The Watery, The Wave, and The Rain.
- Dishing Out Dirt: The Earthy and The Sand.
- Blow You Away: The Windy and The Storm.
- Playing with Fire: The Firey
- Casting a Shadow: The Shadow
- Time Master: The Time and The Return.
- Poisonous Person: The Mist
- Non-Elemental: Most of the lower tier cards.
- Green Thumb: The Wood
- Elemental RockPaperScissors: The Cards have a complicated version that combines the Eastern and Western versions. The four high elemental cards represent the classical western elements with their advantage over each other also being effected by the presence of their guardian. The Eastern elemental system alows 'lesser' cards representing elements the high elementals are weak against to overpower them such as when Wood was able to capture Earthy.
- Embarrassing but Empowering Outfit: The Armour grants whoever is wearing it enhanced protection and strength, being more portable than the Shield Cards effect. Unfortunately, it takes the form of ancient Samurai armour and looks utterly ridiculous.
- Healing Hands: The Heal Card,
- Healing Magic Is the Hardest: however the Heal Card has limitations. The first being that it cannot heal something that cannot be healed by normal methods, like cancer, and it is limited by the knowledge of its wielder or their surroundings.
- History Repeats: Rin ends up scattering the Cards by accidentally activating Windy, the same as Sakura, prior to Kero waking up, Kero muses that it is just like the time he first met Sakura.
- Improbable Weapon User: Any Card with more mundane abilities can still make serious trouble when they get creative. So far we have seen:
- Cook chase a bunch of exorcists with kitchen impliments.
- Jump attack with animated toys.
- Float use garbage against Rin.
- It Was with You All Along: Light hid inside Rin just as it hid inside Sakura. It turns out Hope was hiding inside him as well, waiting for the Judgement.
- Kill and Replace: Attempted by Mirror in Chapter 21
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: The purpose of the Memory Card is wipe memories of Muggles not in the know and to replace memories with something more explainable. Which Rin does take advantage of.
- Mundane Utility: Sakura continued Clow Reeds legacy in creating Cards for the most mundane of reasons. The Artist Card creates artistic masterpieces, while the Cook Card is a Supreme Chef.
- Only the Chosen May Wield: Sakura designed the chest the cards were held in to go to whomever would be a good master to the cards and would greatly benefit from their help. This resulted in the traveling to Rin's dimension and the chest appearing empty to whomever else that opened it.
- Sekki being able to do so is an early clue that she is Yue.
- Original Character: There are new cards made by Sakura, they are the Memory, the Heal, the Record, the Repair, the Mask, the Armour, the Switch, the Artist and the Cook. Later, Rin creates the Balance.
- Outside-Context Problem: The Sakura Cards to the exorcists being used to dealing solely with demons, they assume that the Cards are also demons, however they do not have the abilities or equipment to be able to deal with the rogue Cards. Encounters between the two tend to end poorly for the exorcists.
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: The Sakura cards are pink and when they are turned into Rin cards they become blue.
- The Prankster: Many of the Cards are mischievous when loose. Kero particularly mentions Mask and Rain.
- Single-Minded Twins: The Twin card.
- Stalker Without a Crush: Record (being based on Tomoyo) turns out to be this to aspiring manga-ka Hanamura Hibiki. It is revealed she thought he was incredibly talented, and was trying to show him how amazing she thought it was. She is horrified when she discovers that it was actually stressing him out.
- Winged Humanoid: Heal. It is the reason why Natsuko believes she is an angel.
- Fly can turn Rin into this.
YueThe Moon guardian of the Cards, created by Clow Reed.
- Ambiguous Gender Identity: While Yue presents as male, he admits that gender identity doesn't matter to him and doesn't care whether he's seen as a man or a woman.
- Character Development: Yue is less harsh and cold than he was when Sakura first met him during her own Judgement.
- History Repeats: His first real visit to the monastery as himself plays out almost exactly like his first visit to Sakura at her house.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia. Same as Kero his memory was altered with his permission as part of the process if passing the cards to Rin. He gets his memories back once the transfer is complete.
- Lunacy: Has Moon type magic in opposition to Kero.
- Super Gender-Bender: While Yue is male, his vessel is a woman. Especially so in Inheritance of Magic, as Sekki can no longer use magic to conserve energy.
- The Needless: He doesn't need to eat since he's sustained by magic nor does he enjoy eating. But Rin manages to get him to snack along with him.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: While he's still a bit cold, he is more open and friendly to Rin than he was to Sakura at first and is willing to spend time with Rin when asked.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Thanks to Sakura, he's much less cold to Rin and is willing to socialize with him when prompted.
Ruan Dandan/Ruby MoonMoon guardian created by Eriol and inherited by Sakuras decendent Ying Hua. Poses as her big sister.
- Cuteness Proximity: She's like this to both Ying Hua and Yukio.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: Dandan brags that one of the perks of her job is that she's allowed to drink on the job.
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold: Its implied that she's a hostess, but is otherwise a loving sister.
- Life Drinker: She wants to eat Yukio's magic.
- Ms. Fanservice: Is often dressed in very flattering but revealing clothes, which others do take notice.
- No Sense of Personal Space: She's always hugging Ying Hua, Yukio or Rin.
- Promotion to Parent: Invoked, she's Ying Hua's older sister and is her guardian while they are in Japan.
Spinel SunSun guardian created by Eriol and inherited by Sakura's decendent Ying Hua. Once posed as her cat.
ShuraA knight meister and student of Fujimoto Shiro.
- Boobs of Steel: Big breasted and a knight.
Yuri EginRin and Yukio's mother. A mage.
- Almighty Janitor: Yuri Egin may only have been a Lower First Class exorcist, but was an exceptionally powerful mage who was granted the privileges and duties of a much higher ranked exorcist.
- Deadpan Snarker: She certainly is unimpressed with the Vatican and snarks at Fujimoto when he is sent to kill her.
- Green Thumb: Binds Shiro by transforming the grass into thick vines.
- Missing Mom: Her own mother died when she was 10.
- Power Incontinence: Mostly averted.
- Pregnant Badass: How much of a badass? She restrained Fujimoto with a single word.
- Teen Pregnancy: Word of God is that Yuri was 16 in the Inheritance-verse when she had Rin and Yukio.
Samurakami HikariOwner of the cafe Sugar Bell.
- Supreme Chef: Makes excellent pastries.
RioSugar Bell employee.
Miyano RikuA boy Rin went on a few dates with.
Kinomoto SakuraFormer master of the Cards and one of the strongest mages of her world. Invented magitek.
- Almighty Mom: She had the Memory card created when her child's Power Incontinence caused incidents.
- Beware the Nice Ones: According to the information page on magic Sakura eventually reached a level where she would be able to smack around demons on the level of the Demon Kings Samael and Lucifer.
- The Ghost: She has a handful of appearances in the story, but her presence is continuously felt.
- Happily Married: She was this with Syaoran and had many children together.
- Properly Paranoid: She has a magical battery full of Moon magic called the Mage Heart created, knowing that Rin wouldn't be powerful enough to support Yue.
- There are also batteries for the cards for the same reason.
- Posthumous Character: She is dead by the time the story takes place.
- Star Power: Sakuras power source, and the power behind the Sakura Cards.
Li SyaoranSakura's husband and a powerful mage in his own right. Related to Clow Reed.
- Happily Married: With Sakura for many years.
Mephisto PhelesChairman of True Cross Academy and head of the Japanese branch of the Order. Also the twins older halfbrother from the father's side.
- Control Freak: According to him, nothing happens in his school without him knowing.
- Otaku: He loves anime, particularly series within the series Honey Honey Girls.
- Time Master: Has time-based magic.
Suguro "Bon" Ryuji
Shima RenzouThe Love Interest and the son of Shima family. Also the spy for the Illuminati.
- Animal Motif: A pink Tanuki
- Interrupted Declaration of Love: Tried so many times.
- Love Epiphany: Shortly after he came back, he and everyone else realized just how in deep he is for Rin.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: He tried so hard to present himself as stupid but his innate magic abilities prevent him from this. Eventually, after his cover was blown, he just embraced it.
UkobachAn imp-like demon assigned to cook for the twins while they live in the dorms.
- Supreme Chef: Able to hold his own against Rin and Cook. Also seen trading cooking tips with Rin at one point.