Back to Main Page
Born of a mortal woman with Odin and Freya (don't ask me about the physics of the thing) the Valkyries are immortal. They have characteristics of their birth mother's race as well as the shared Valkyrie traits.
Tropes shared by all Valkyries:
- Achilles' Heel: Shiny things. They have inherited Freyas acquisitiveness and real jewels can hypnotize them.
- Always Female: All Valkyrie born of Freya and Woden are female. No Valkyrie sons have been seen.
- Badass Family: They are sisters and they kick ass.
- Despite fewer numbers they are one of the only factions strong enough to go against the Horde.
- Brainless Beauty: Averted. These ladies are smart badasses who could win a Beauty contest easy.
- Cute Little Fangs: they have tiny fangs
- Death by Despair: One of the few ways that the Valkyrie can die. And sorrow can harm their entire coven.
- Divine Parentage:They are Odin's and Freya's daughters
- Famed in Story: Valkyries are known for being totally Badass and very few factions are willing to go against them one on one.
- Femme Fatalons: Valkyries have claws, and they do love their nail polish
- Glowing Eyes: Doubles as "Uh-Oh" Eyes, their eyes turn silver with strong emotion, in a fight if their eyes turn silver it's a sign they're about to give you a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown.
- Pointy Ears: and charming pointy ears
- Mythology Gag: The coven in New Orleans lives in Val Hall.
- No Periods, Period: Valkyries don't get pregnant unless they eat. And don't have periods either.
- Red Baron: All Valkyries have nicknames, epithets
- Red String of Fate: Valkyrie believe they'll know their fated mate when the run into his/her arms.
- Shock and Awe: Strong emotions from the Valkyrie cause lightning.
- The Big Easy: The Valkyrie coven that the characters are a part of is in New Orleans.
AnnikaCurrent leader of the New Orleans coven of Valkyrie.
- Parental Substitute: For Emma.
CaraCara the Fair. Part Fury, twin sister of Furie.
- Always Identical Twins: Averted, she is the twin of Furie, but they aren't identical.
- Ace Pilot: She flies Holly, Regin and Nïx out of Alaska back to Val Hall.
- The Fettered: The reason she doesn't rule the Valkyrie in her sister's absence. She has a duty to protect a line of humans.
DanielaDaniela the Ice Maiden. A 2000 years old ice princess with pale blonde hair and vivid blue eyes. Has a freezing skin that can only be touched by her kind, the Icere, if anyone else touches her, her skin burns. Bride to Murdoch Wroth.
- An Ice Person: She can freeze stuff.
- Blessed with Suck: She has ice powers but can't touch most people because it hurts them both. And could kill her.
- Can't Have Sex, Ever: It's incredibly painful for her to touch anyone but another Icere Fey, and the only ones of them she's met have been trying to kill her.
- Put on a Bus: Her brief mentions as a secondary character all stopped after the novella featuring her and Murdoch.
- The Fair Folk: Her mother is a Icere Fey
EmalineEmmaline Troy, AKA Emma the Lamb, Emma the Timid. Half-Valkyrie, Half-Vampire. Queen of the Lykae, married to and Mate of Lachlain.
- Damsel in Distress: At first. She even goes so far as to threaten to jump off the building.
- Kiss of the Vampire: To both her and Lachlain's surprise.
- MayflyDecember Romance: Lachlain's age is a multiple of Emma's. She's in her seventies and he's 1200.ish
- Missing Mom: Her mother, Helen of Troy, yes THAT Helen of Troy, died of sorrow shortly after giving birth to Emma. Did so because she heard that the father had chosen to give in to his bloodlust.
- Mixed Ancestry: Half valkyrie, half-vampire
- Took a Level in Badass: In-universe, she learns to stand up for herself and eventually kill Demestriu king of the vampires and her father.
FuriePart Fury and Queen of the Valkyrie. Cara's twin sister.
- Always Identical Twins: Averted, she is the twin of Cara, but they aren't identical.
- Fate Worse than Death: She's spent 50 years drowning and reviving only to drown again.
- Posthumous Character: Inversion, so far she's not appear in anything but flashbacks or mentions from other characters but she's still alive.
HollyHolly Ashwin, AKA Holly the Bright. Half-human daughter of a Valkyrie. The Vessel of the current Accession. Married to Cadeon Woede.
- Babies Ever After: Enforced, as the vessel she's hyper-fertile for her first pregnancy. It's implied even condoms wouldn't have helped.
- Control Freak: She has Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder. It's implied that this is a combination of humans not understanding her Valkyrie traits and her natural ControlFreakness.
- Disposable Love Interest: Tony, justi he was stealing her work and pretending it was his.
- Half-Human Hybrid
- Happily Adopted: Invoked, her Valkyrie mother picked out her adoptive parents carefully.
- It Sucks to Be the Chosen One: She's the Vessel, her first child will be an ultimate warrior for good or evil depending on the father's leaning. Varying factions want her dead so she can't have a kid with the wrong person or "bred".
- The Ingenue: Played straight, to Nix's dismay who asks the also surprised Cadeon to corrupt her.
- She actively avoids media that showcases sexuality or this kind of thing.
- Nerds Are Sexy: This is one of the things that attracts Cadeon.
- Nerds Are Virgins: She's a math professor going for her PhD, and she has never even had A Date with Rosie Palms.
- Paralyzing Fear of Sexuality: Justified, as a half valkyrie she is as aggressive as the Velkyrie tend to be and far stronger than any human male. So she stayed away from men.
- The Smart Girl: She sees this as her identity, but it's clear she's not the only brainy beauty in the family.
KaderinKaderin the Cold Hearted. The best vampire killer of the Valkyries. Bride of Sebastian Wroth.Her mother was mortal.
- Action Girl: She kick ass in the Hie (the Lore amazing race) and is known world wide as a vampire assassin.
- Battle Trophy: After offing a vampire she snaps off the fangs to help keep count. This appears to be a cultural thing as she did it even before her sister's deaths.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Her relationship with Sebastian at first.
- Cute Bruiser: She is tiny, but fierce.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Both invoked when she fights with Sebastian, tricking him into letting her win their fight. And played straight when Sebastian is moving some rocks.
- Emotionless Girl: She doesn't feel until she meets Sebastian
- She used to be known as Kaderin the Kind Hearted.
- Famed in Story: She is famous because she won the Hie so many times.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Again, her relationship with Sebastian.
- Master of the Mixed Message: At first to Sebastian before she decides that she want him.
- Really 700 Years Old: She's old enough to consider Regin "only ten centuries", probably around 3000 years old.
- Same-Sex Triplets: She is a third of a triplet.
- The Atoner: She let a vampire live, he then turned around and killed her only full blood siblings. Lesson learned.
LuciaLucia the Huntress. Skathian. Mated to Garreth MacRieve.
- Archer Archetype
- Improbable Aiming Skills: She never misses a shot
- Can't Have Sex, Ever: If she has sex she gives up her Improbable Aiming Skills
- Celibate Heroine: She has taken an oath of Chastity in exchange for being healed by Skathi.
- Cloudcuckoolander's Minder: To Regin.
- Cursed with Awesome: If she misses a shot she feels agonizing pain, doubles as a Virgin Power as it is reliant on her being chaste.
- Groin Attack: She did warn him.
- Guys Smash, Girls Shoot: With Garreth.
- Missing Mom: He mother left Valhalla and Lucia doesn't even know which species she was. It was predicted she'd discover when she had children but she ignored that as she Can't Have Sex, Ever.
- Really 700 Years Old: About 1000 years old.
- Smitten Teenage Girl: Overlaps with Loving a Shadow, Cruach was never what he pretended to be.
- Warrior Monk: For the Skathian order, although she's one of the last Skathians.
MystMyst the Coveted, AKA Mysty the Vampire Layer. Bride of Nikolai Wroth.
- Babies Ever After: She felt sorry for letting her biological clock keep ticking, and Nikolai wants kids. It's not said whether she's pregnant yet, but she was eating which means she's trying.
- Fantastic Racism: Towards nymphs. She hates those hookers.
- Femme Fatale: She runs on this, and likes to manipulate men into doing this for her because she can.
- Last Guy Wins: She killed the first three vampires she blooded. The last one just got left aroused for 5 years with no way to have relief. And then she married him.
- Old Shame: Caught making out with a vampire when she was supposed to be spying on them.
- Trophy Wife: Defied certainly men wanted to make her theirs, but they failed.
- Never Live It Down: In-universe, Even the nymphs mock her.
NïxNïx The Ever-Knowing, AKA Nucking Futs Nïx. Self proclaimed Proto-Valkyrie, can see the future. She's the first Valkyrie, her mother was a mortal.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: As evidenced by Bertil, a literal bat in her belfrey.
- Also a lot of the things she says when people thinks she's craziest turn out to be predictions. Like the origami shapes she makes when talking to Nikolai and Myst about Sebastian, which turn out to be things that he would face in the Hie.
- Fun T-Shirt:She likes to wear t-shirts with funny phrases like "I play with my prey"
- Oracular Urchin/Mad Oracle: She sees the future more clearly than the present. The side effect of her visions is that she is losing her sanity.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: She's not as insane as she seems.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin
- Shipper on Deck: Side-effect of pushing all those Battle Couple types together as she tries to steer the Accession.
- The Older Immortal: She's met dirt younger than her. Also the oldest Valkyrie, but she's not in charge of the Valkyrie because she's not sane often enough.
- Trickster Mentor: She has good intentions.Cade: ... you lied.Nix: Yes, and people who lie are bad. Oh, but I didnt mean you.Nix: I did tell a fib, but only so the fates would align to get you here, skulking around Val Hall at midnight tonightwith Groot dead, with you in possession of a mystickal sword, and with Holly
ReginReginleit the Radiant. Her kisses are addictive and her skin glows. Her mother was a mortal and a member of the now extinct Bright Ones. Married to Declan Chase.
- Big Sister Instinct: Inverted, she left Valhalla at 11, way younger than most Valkyrie to save Lucia from Crom Cruach. Lucia was only 16 and not immortal herself. And then she talked back to Skathi to get Lucia saved.
- The Valkyrie are born in Valhalla and encouraged to stay there until they become immortal. Once they leave they can never return.
- Hidden Depths: One of the reasons for not looking for Aiden's latest incarnation is that she hopes he might live past 35.
- Kiss of Death: It's said that her kiss is addictive and even the reason that Aiden returns to her.
- Subverted it's not the real reason, but it does jog all of Aiden's reincarnations to remember his past.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Many fans were surprised to discover her full name is Reginleit.
- Reincarnation Romance: With Aiden the Fierce. She's the immortal one who has to wait.
- The Nicknamer: Many of her portmanteaus for half-breeds take off, much to Nix's annoyance over the Turned Demons.
- Regin came up with Vemon and Nix went with Dempire.
- The Prankster: All over of the place.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Ghosts make Regin "freak balls".