Back to Main Page
The Lykae are a Celtic people who possess a wolf spirit, they are intensely loyal, and delight in both touch, sex and food. They live to find their Mate and then spend the rest of their lives with them. If their Mate is killed then they will follow them into death. They are almost entirely Scottish, having only moved their people out of Scotland after their King was killed by the Vampires and they refused to live on the same continent as the Vampires. Their king is Lachlain MacRieve.
Tropes shared by all Lykae
- Funetik Aksent: The Scottish brogue is written like this, probably a case of Author Appeal as the Rage Demons' South African accent isn't done this way.
- Fur Against Fang: The Instinct leaves them wary of Vampires, and they are in an ongoing conflict thanks to the presumed murder and actual 250 years of torture.
- They are also warned to be wary of Witches and other magic users by the instinct.
- Game Face: Their wolf spirit
- Hearing Voices: The Instinct, is a voice that guides all Lykae And Emmaline thanks to Kiss of the Vampire in their actions. Also helps them recognise their Mate.
- Violent Glaswegian: They're a passionate bunch, which results in a lot of fighting, and sometimes rugby and fighting.
- the need for touch, an intense loyalty to its kind, a craving for the delights of the flesh
- Red String of Fate: Lykae can scent their Mate and the Instinct will tell them that he/she is theirs.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: They mark their Mates by biting them during the full moon with their fangs it's a sign of how much they wanted them and a warning to other Lykae that their Mate is taken. Only Lykae can see these marks.
- They don't turn into wolves, they grow about a foot in height as well as the added muscle that needs. Their eyes turn blue and they have an apparation of their wolf spirit hover over them, which is described as being terrifying.
- They can wolf out anytime but on the full moon they have no choice. Mated Lykae are driven to be with their Mates, and unmated Lykae are more violent and on edge.
- They refer to turning as saorachadh ainmhidh bho a cliabhan.note There are four levels of turning:
- The beast stirring inside them like its waking.
- If they feel rage, it makes their claws flare, their fangs sharpen.
- During the full moon and when they lust to mark their Mate, it takes over their body. They'd still be there, still remembering all, comprehending everything, but the beast is definitely in control. To fight it takes a will that few are known to possess.
- The fourth level is the worstturning so much that you can't come back. If a Lykae can't handle some experience, something thats too hard to take, the beast rises too much, maddening its Lykae host forever. Hed never revert from his animal state.
- "Uh-Oh" Eyes: Light blue. Among the Lore it's said to never get between a Lykae and his/her Mate.
- You Know What They Say: In-universe, they have a reputation for being Bigger Is Better in Bed.
Bowen MacRieveAKA Bowen the Bitter. Cousin to Lachlain and Garreth he is third in line to the Lykae throne. He lost his mate 200 years ago and spent the last 200 years looking for a way to bring her back, until he met Mariketa.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: After 200 years and aging for the first time in his life thanks to Mariketa's curse, he finally starts to get over his hatred when Mariah returns. It's not really Mariah.
- Fantastic Racism: To witches. The instinct warns Lykae to be wary of Witches, Bowen taken his wariness Up to Eleven. Rydstrom said he'd seen Bowen unconsciously cross the street to avoid a fortune teller.
- Freudian Excuse: His extreme hatred of witches was stoked by his father of Angus' own guilt for dealing with a witch and killing his older brothers.
- Heartbroken Bad Ass: The sheer fact that he didn't lose his mind after the death of his mate is something that the other Lykae can barely understand.
- Wrong Girl First: Well she did basically ruin his relationship and leave him cursed and powering an evil witch goddess for 200 years, but it takes actually meeting "her" actually Haxa again for him to realise that he loves Mariketa.
Lachlain MacRieveKing of the Lykae, Mated to Emmaline Troy who he met after escaping from 150 years of being burned alive.
- But for Me, It Was Tuesday: He gets a roundabout one of these when watching the DVD of his mate killing Demestriu (the guy who ordered his being burnt alive for centuries)
- Comically Missing the Point: When out with Emma, she points at a little kid and tells him that she wants one. It takes him a while to realise she means a baby of her own, not for him to kidnap a mortal child.
- Fantastic Racism: To vampires, understandable considering his torture at their hands, he gets over it thanks to his mate being part vampire and the daughter of his enemy so without his torture his Mate wouldn't have been born as he'd have killed her father first. He still wants to kill Horde Vampires, but for their evil murdering nature as well as revenge.
Garreth MacRievePrince of the Lykae, AKA Dark Prince. Mated to Lucia the Archer.
- Guys Smash, Girls Shoot: With Lucia, although the fact he can expertly string Lucia bow means he can probably shoot too.
- Heroic BSoD: When he thinks that Lucia is dead, and he killed her he goes into the final stage of turning.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: This is the reason he went to the Amazon, he was trying to be a decent ruler.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: The Amazon. He checked it out in the past and it was not a fun experience.
- Also a literal python which almost kills him.
Munro MacRieveHalf of the duo known as "Hot and Hotter" with his twin brother Uilleam. Mate of Kereny.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Munro's seeming fate at the end of MacRieve at the hands of Those Best Forgotten because he turns to save Kereny, and their spell hooks Lykae only after they have turned.
- Honey Trap: A nymph desperate to free her sister from Those Best Forgotten who are sacrificing nymphs for power serves as one.
- I Hate You Lykae Dad: Inverted, Munro bites Kereny despite her desperate pleas not to turn her because she is his mate and will die of a flesh-to-stone spell in seconds if he doesn't. She vows to hate him forever. He does it anyway, begging her to try and live.
- Sibling Team: With Uilleam, known as "Hot and Hotter", a nickname they hate but bicker over who is 'Hotter'.
Uilleam MacRieveAka Will. Half of the duo nicknamed "Hot and Hotter" with his twin brother Munro. Ruler of the Clan MacRieve, thanks to being the first to meet his Mate. He is related to Lachlain, but independently rules the Clan. Mated to Chloe Webb.
- Break the Badass: Invoked by Nix by sending him to the Order's facility. Uilleam is so traumatised that he cannot have sex without his beast rising and when he escapes the Order's island and is attacked by a starving Succubus he is able to resist, something that is considered impossible if you haven't met your mate (which he hasn't) because of the trauma at the hands of Ruelle.
- Not only that but when his mate turns out to be a half-Succubus he struggles to accept it and treats her worse than Lachlain did Emma for being a vampire and he was burned alive for 150 years by vampires. It actually takes his beast rising up to prevent him from hurting her at some points.
- Color Me Black: Inverted, his Mate who he thought was human turns out to be a Succubus, the object of his extreme hatred.
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: Averted, thankfully at 13 Will's parents find out he's been in a four year "relationship" with a Succubus called Ruelle. His parents are horrified and his mothers rash act of not waiting to kill her end with her killed by another (also underage) "lover" of the Succubus.
- All Men Are Perverts: Again averted, as his parents disbelieve all of Will's protests that he loves Ruelle, because again he's thirteen.
- Fantastic Racism: To Succubae naturally, after his pedophilic rape results in the death of his mother and his unborn sister, and the death of his father as he followed her into death. That and most of the Succubae he meets after this are evil.
- Sibling Team: With Munro, known as "Hot and Hotter", a nickname they hate but bicker over who is 'Hotter'.
- The Loins Sleep Tonight: After Chloe transforms into a Succubus Will has this at one point because he can't separate her from his past.