The main character of the story. She comes from a poor family, but nonetheless tries all ethical means she can in order to overcome her current difficulties, all while struggling from the trauma of her childhood. Due to her circumstances, she eventually became rather introverted (but still had two close friends). This may change now since the Hirahara siblings are becoming increasingly involved with her.
- A-Cup Angst: Mrs. Hirahara gives Shin-Ae a dress she claims she bought for herself and would never wear. When Shin-Ae tries it on, she finds she doesn't quite fill it out properly.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: The genderbent version of Shin-Ae in the extra "What If" chapter is very handsome.
- Berserk Button: Talking smack about her friends.
- Big Eater: She is very enthusiastic about eating lots of food.
- Big "OMG!": When Yeong-Gi starts to hold up the line with his questions about why she is working at the mcdonalds Shin-Ae loses her nerve telling him to hurry up and order.
- Big "WHAT?!": Happens when Ms. Hirahara reveals that she isnt actually wearing a dress but Kousukes dress shirt.
- Blind Date: Inverted. Yeong-Gi already knows Shin-Ae but Maya sets them up on a blind date to get them to meet again.
- Book Dumb: Subverted. Although Shin-Ae receives a 68% on a science exam, she is not inept when it comes to academics, and is even asked by Soushi and Dieter to be their math tutor.
- Calling Your Bathroom Breaks: Justified and Played for laughs. A bunch of girls were blocking Dieter's seat so Shin-Ae mad a big display of announcing she needs to go to the bathroom to get them to leave.
- Caught the Heart on His Sleeve: When forced to go to Mr. Kim's formal party Shin-Ae bumps into Yeong-Gi and grabs the sleeve of his coat when he tries to get food telling him to take her with him as she is comfortable with him since he is the only one she knows at the party.
- Cheshire Cat Grin: She sports this one as she hears Yeong-gi prank calling Maya and Rika.
- Cry Cute: Played for laughs during her blind date with Yeong-Gi and Kousuke. She is partially in chibi form with two unshed tears as she didnt want to meet them again
- Cry into Chest: Zig-Zagged. When Yeong-Gi turns around so that Shin-Ae can cry without him looking she grabs his jacket and leans her head on his back instead.
- Deadpan Snarker: One of her main personality traits is her unrelenting sarcasm.
- Death Glare: Downplayed when she does this to Dieter's friend who trashed talked her and her friends.
- Demoted to Extra: She was demoted to Dieter's main love interest in the 2017 Special "If I Love Yoo was a sport comic".
- Exhausted Eye Bags: As the stress of dealing with her father, who ends up in the hospital, and their bills gets worse she finds herself being worn out and gets these.
- Eating Contest: Shin-Ae used to have hamburger eating contests with her dad.
- Face Doodling: When Yeong-Gi doodles on Shin-Ae's face she does the same to him when it turns out that he didn't do it for her disguise but as payback for her calling him a stalker.
- Face of a Thug: Played for laughs. When describing Shin-Ae to the bartender Rika notes that Shin-Ae often looks like she wants to murder someone.
- Female Gaze: When she sees Alyssa after a long time she can't help but notice her chest.
- Finger Gun: Min-hyuk and Shin-Ae do this to each other when they greet each other via video call.
- First-Name Basis: After giving Kousuke a present for his birthday he tells her to call him by his first name.
- Flipping the Bird: Does this to Kousuke after she is freed from her restraints. Kousuke is not amused.
- Food Slap: Downplayed. Does this to Maya and Rika with a few pieces of potato chips after Rika talks about Shin-Ae small breast size and when Rika jokingly suggests that she, Shin-Ae, could become a housewife.
- Played Straight when Shin-Ae tries to do this Dieter's friend when he trash talks her and her friends. Unfortunately, the cup of juice hits Yeong-Gi instead.
- She also does this to Kousuke during their first meeting with a steak after he trips her and calls her a fatass.
- Shin-Ae is subjected to this by a mother who got angry after Shin-Ae defended Soyi for the mothers child's behaviour.
- Forceful Kiss: Thankfully averted. Sang-Chul tries to kiss a drugged Shin-Ae but he is punched in the groin instead.
- Funny Background Event: As Shin-Ae is ordering donuts at Outdoor Cafe Yeon-Gi is seen with Soushi and Dieter in the back looking like he is about to throw-up.
- Happens again on the blind date when Shin-Ae is about to leave and Yeong-Gi stops her. Rika is seen in back looking shocked to the point of covering her mouth.
- Invoked by Yeong-Gi at Mr. Kim's formal to get Shin-Ae to smile and loosen up while dancing with Kousuke. It works.
- Gold Digger: Conversed but averted. Rika and Maya suggests that Shin-Ae find a rich man to settle with to which Shin-Ae interprets as becoming a gold-digger. On the other hand, when Megan first meets Shin-Ae and hears how Kousuke treats her better, Megan asks if he is Shin-Ae's sugar daddy which in turn would make Shin-Ae this trope.
- Groin Attack: Delivers a painful one to Sang-Chul when he tries to kiss her.
- Growling Gut: When playing a dancing game with Yeong-Gi her stomach starts to growl.
- Hand Rubbing: Does this gleefully when Yeong-Gi suggest that they pull a prank on Maya and Rika.
- Handshake Refusal: When Yeong-Gi offers a handshake to make their prankster partnership official Shin-Ae opts instead to clap his hand and then goes for a high five.
- Hates Wearing Dresses: "Pants forever," according to her.
- Her Boy Friends Jacket: Played for laughs. In the What Ifs chapter she is shown wearing Dieter's jacket at the same time he is wearing it.
- Holding Hands: Kousuke holds her hand after she talks about her family troubles.
- I Can't Dance: She claims that she isn't any good at dancing.
- I Have Just One Thing to Say: Inverted. In trying to get Yeong-Gi to leave her alone at the party, she says she doesn't care how important or insignificant he might be because he's a human being first...and humans kind of suck. Had this been any other person, they likely would have been put off, but because it's Yeong-Gi, it likely only made him take a shine to her.
- Informed Poverty: Inverted. Shin-Ae doesn't seem any different from her friends at first, and when she shows up at a Masquerade Ball with a borrowed dress and an ugly home-made mask, the obvious conclusion is that she's a tomboy, who doesn't care about her looks. A lot of Shin-Ae's actions takes on a new light once you realize she's so poor, she relies on her friends for meals, which her friends doesn't seem to realize. Not to mention that she and her father are at risk of eviction.
- Intertwined Fingers: One of the authors illustrations depicts her and Yeong-Gi doing this.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Sure, she may be a rude, sarcastic loner, but she also has a soft spot for children and will go to great lengths for her friends.
- Just Smile and Nod: The attitude she is supposed to take when serving customers at Wac-Donalds. Unfortunately, she finds it extremely hard to keep it up as the customers and Yeong-Gi wear her patience thin.
- Kids Are Cruel: In various flashbacks it is revealed that Shin-Ae was subjected to harsh bullying throughout her elementary and middle school years
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Even when Shin-Ae can barely feed herself, she still buys food for the neighborhood cat. When she gets a bit more money than usual, she buys it salmon.
- Knight in Sour Armor: Cynical and dislikes dealing with people but also won't hesitate to help anyone being treated unfairly.
- Lame Pun Reaction: Whenever Yeong-Gi makes a pun her reaction is this.
- Lip-Lock Sun-Block: Zigzagged in one of the authors illustrations with her and Yeong-Gi. While the sunlight shining behind them as they are about to kiss in the kitchen the drawing perspective is in a different angle.
- Loners Are Freaks: She is perceived as this by her classmates.
- Lost Food Grievance: Yeong-Gi has to protect himself with a stool after she comes at him with a knife and then a spatula when she sees him eating her chicken.
- Missing Mom: Flashbacks reveal that her mother walked out on her and her dad a long time ago, taking her sister with her.
- Near-Rape Experience: At a party, a group of men accost Shin-Ae and one of them spikes her drink. Yeong-Gi drinks it instead and ends up in the hospital.
- Nervous Wreck: Justified. Shin-Ae was going to her first interview and she really wants to earn money quick so she can pay the overdue rent for her and her father.
- One of the Boys: Very much so. When she goes to the arcade with Maya, Rika, and Yeong-Gi's friends, she eventually gets roped into playing games with the boys and gets so worked up over trying to beat them while Maya and Rika went to the photo booth. Considering she was raised by a single father, it's no surprise Shin-Ae is such a Tomboy and while she's friends with Maya and Rika, her best friend is Min Hyuk.
- Ow, My Body Part!: Justified. Shin-Ae hit her head hard at the bottom of the pool after falling from the second floor at Mr. Kim's formal. She wakes up in the hospital room with a headache.
- The Paranoiac: Fits three of the criteria:
- 3. Suspiciousness / Cynicism - In her own words: "Humans kinda suck."
- 4. Jerkass - with a heart of gold, but she does occasionally purposely stomp on some nerves to drive people away from her, like when she refused to wipe the whipped cream off her face because she knew it bothered Kousuke.
- 7 Conspiracy Theorist - When she discovers Mr. Stalker was the one she poured a drink over, she immediately starts imagining a ridiculous scenario with the conclusion that Yeong-Gi helped her and paid for her cab so he could follow it to find out where she lived and harass her.
- Prank Call: She and Yeong-Gi prank call Maya and Rika as payback for ignoring her at the party.
- Red String of Fate: Played with. One of the authors drawings shows Yeong-Gi and Shin-Ae sharing red earphones with each other.
- Running Gag: A few.
- Her spilling drinks and food on expensive clothes.
- Shin-Ae frequently has a lot of funny facial expressions that border on Cringe Comedy.
- Sexy Shirt Switch: Zig-Zagged. Shin-Ae is tricked by Mrs. Hirahara into wearing Kousukes dress shirt to get him flustered.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: The dress she wears at the party combined with the makeup job done by Yeong-Gi brings out her features quite nicely.
- She's Got Legs: This was partly exploited by Mrs. Hirahara.
- Ship Tease: With Yeong-Gi and Kousuke. Dieter too.
- The Smart Girl: Justified. Shin-ae is extremely introverted so she has nothing to distract her from studying, and thus is one of the best students at her school.
- Sleep Cute: One of the authors illustrations show her and Kousuke sleeping together.
- Spit Take: Does this when Ms. Hirahara talks about Shin-Ae and Kousuke having stunning heirs.
- Squick: She is grossed out when it turns out that the comic that she was reading has some questionable themes.
- Stupid Sexy Flanders:
- She begrudgingly admitted that Mrs. Hirihara is incredibly attractive like the rest of her family.
- She rather blatantly stares at Megan Cho's breasts after not seeing her for so many years.
- Talking in Your Sleep: When Yeong-Gi and Kousuke take her home she falls asleep in the car and proceeds to say this.
- The Nicknamer: Downplayed. Shin-Ae gives Kousuke the nickname Q-tip and Yeong-Gi the name Mr. Stalker.
- Tomboy: Shin-Ae is not exactly the girly type.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Is the Tomboy in contrast to her friends Rika and Maya.
- Tomboyish Ponytail: She sometimes puts her hair in a low or high ponytail.
- Was Too Hard on Him: Shin-Ae realizes how harsh she was to Dieter in rejecting his confession and calls him out later to apologize.
- She also does this later with Yeong-Gi after the fight they had in Wac-Donalds on his behaviour towards her.
- When She Smiles: It quite nice when Shin-Ae smiles. Kousuke, when he see's her smile genuinely while eating her food, tells her that she should smile more often.
- Why Are You Looking at Me Like That?: She questions why everyone is staring at her when she comes to the masquerade party in the most blandest cut-out paper mask that looks like it belongs in a children's party. Bonus points for it looking similar to Jason's mask but without the holes.
- You Remind Me of X: Inverted. She doesn't say it out loud to Yeong-Gi but she notes to herself that he reminds her of a puppy in chpt 26.
- Your Makeup Is Running: Justified. Shin-Ae fell into the pool with her makeup on at Mr. Kims formal. When she is pulled out her mascara is running down her cheeks.
- X on a Stick: Has some ricecake on a stick with Kousuke at the Spicy Spicy vendor outside the arcade.
Yeong-Gi "Nol" Hirahara
Introduced as one of the friends of the guy Shin-Ae rejected, and ends up getting her drink thrown at him (accidentally). They meet again at a party, where Yeong-Gi helps Shin-Ae get back at her friends with a prank.
- Abel And Cain: Zig-Zagged, as while they aren't having an exactly ideal relationship, he and Kousuke aren't anywhere nearly as bad as the Trope Namers.
- Accidental Pervert: Downplayed: After Shin-Ae says that she wants to leave the Hirahara party Yeong-gi offers to give her a ride. He and Shin-Ae immediately realizes the subtext of his words and he tries to explain to no avail...at first
- Affluent Ascetic: Although his family's rich, he doesn't live with them and compared to them, is noticeably more down-to-earth from the food he eats to the car he drives.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: In the extra chapter, "What If", the author drew a gender-bent version of him and he is still attractive.
- Badass Beard: In the What Ifs Illustrations Yeong-Gi is shown as a lumberjack with a beard and heavy side burns. It doesn't detract from his looks at all.
- Bastard Angst: The specifics aren't certain yet, but he is seemingly suffering from this.
- Berserk Button: Downplayed. He doesnt like his nickname Nol.
- Big Eater: According to Soushi, his stomach's a bottomless pit.
- Black Sheep: Yeong-Gi is definitely this to his family. Mr. and Mrs. Hirahara both find him...a disappointment to say the least and treat him very differently than they do Kousuke.
- Blind Date: Inverted. Shin-Ae was already familiar with Yeong-Gi but Maya sets them up on a blind date via Kousuke.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: The redhead to Dieter's blonde and Soushi's brunette.
- Break the Cutie: Good lord, on top of already having Bastard Angst, episode 63 was not kind to him at all, as his mother made him loose his grip on Kousuke and a drunk Shin-Ae, causing them both to fall into the pool leading to the latter to be hospitalized, causing everyone there to believe he dropped them on purpose, souring his relationship with his brother, and getting arrested by the police.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Justified. For some reason his father didn't start teaching him the innerworks of his company early like Kousuke. However, when he starts working at the company, Kousuke and Jayce are amazed to see him doing so well with his work. Shin-Ae also notes how good he is in math but doesn't bother to show his work.
- Broken Smile: When Shin-Ae finally snaps at him for smiling all the time, even in situations when one normally wouldnt, he just smiles sadly.
- Catchphrase: Whenever Yeong-Gi makes a promise he always says You have my word.
- Calling the Old Man Out: He's typically meek and docile in his father's presence but when Shin-Ae's in danger, Yeong-Gi doesn't take his dad's lecture lying down and instead calls his father out for his hypocrisy before running off to find Shin-Ae.
- Clueless Chick Magnet: Not that he notices. He tells Shin-Ae that he thinks that girls are only nice to him because of his money.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Downplayed. He shows slight shades of this toward Kousuke when he tries to give her his coat at the same time he was.
- He also displays shades of this when as he seems saddened when he sees Shin-Ae dancing with Kousuke, however, it doesn't stop him from trying to get her to loosen up and enjoy herself from afar.
- Death Glare: Downplayed. He gives one to Kousuke after he calls him Nol.
- Played straight when he sees Sang-Chul after he took supposedly drugged Shin-Ae.
- Determinator: As Dieter puts it he doesn't give up once he sets his mind on something.
- Does Not Like Spam: Revealed on the blind date that he really hates tea in general.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Played straight and discussed. Yeong, at first, really wants to be Shin-Ae's friend and likes hanging out with her, however, his actions are eventually called out by Shin-Ae as his attitude is giving mixed messages that he wants to be something more even though he already has a girlfriend. He realizes that he was surpassing boundaries and tries to keep himself in check afterwords.
- Double Entendre: Yeong-gi offers Shin-Ae a ride home from the Hirahara party. Unfortunately, his diction brings out hilarious results.
- Also does this intentionally when making puns.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: When he is first seen at his school, Nongke Math And Science Academy, he is notably very unhappy and completely out of it.
- Early-Bird Cameo: In the prologue. Despite being blurred, his striking red hair and yellow hoodie can be seen in the background as Shin-Ae is about to cross the street.
- Exhausted Eye Bags: Starts to get these just a little bit before, from working at the company tirelessly, having a fight with Shin-Ae and then fighting with Kousuke over his family issues.
- Face Doodling: Draws on Shin-Ae's face as payback for her calling him Mr. Stalker. He soon comes to regret it.
- Falling into His Arms: Shin-Ae overworks herself while at the arcade with the others and faints as she is playing a dancing game. Yeong-Gi luckily catches her in time.
- Firemen Are Hot: Yeong-Gi is depicted as a fireman in one of the authors drawings on her Instagram much to the delight of the fans.
- Food as Bribe: Tries to bribe Shin-Ae with donuts in exchange for being her friend and does it again to get her to play Fabio Kart against him and his friends.
- Hand Gagging: Played for laughs. Yeong-Gi covers Shin-Aes mouth with her hat after she starts screaming to get him to cover his ears.
- Hates Being Touched: Zigzagged and Played for Drama. He isn't notably bothered when people touch him, but when it comes to his mom, he is shown to be extremely uncomfortable which hints of either physiological or physical abuse caused by her.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: His mother was able to convince everyone that he purposefully let Kousuke and Shin-Ae fall into the pool. This gets him arrested.
- Hunk: Tall and has a strikingly muscular physique with eight-pack abs, but still has a pretty face on top of that.
- Hypocritical Humor: Talks to Shin-Ae about guys who cant take the hint and leave a girl alone when he was doing the exact same thing to her. Shin-Ae points this out in her head afterwords. He also talks about how people use money to get what they want when he did the same to the bartender with his connection to his father who is very rich. However, this is played for laughs...mostly.
- I Gave My Word: Yeong-Gi will always keep his word no matter what.
- The Illegible: Like his drawing skills he also has terrible handwriting.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Given his family that obviously favors his brother over him, his girlfriend who is no different than a fake girlfriend, and the fact that his classmates at school are two-faced towards him it's not hard to see why. It's emphasized in whenever we see him with his friends his face shines with happiness.
- Intertwined Fingers: One of the authors illustrations depicts him and Shin-Ae doing this.
- Just Friends: Despite everything Yeong-Gi does, he insists to Kousuke that there's nothing between him and Shin-Ae beyond friendship.
- Lip-Lock Sun-Block: Zigzagged in one of the author's illustrations with him and Shin-Ae. While the sunlight shining behind them as they are about to kiss in the kitchen the drawing perspective is in a different angle.
- Lonely Rich Kid: Both implied and defied. Yeong-Gi doesn't live as lavishly or even with his immediate family and has a rocky relationship with them. Similarly, at school, he's unhappy being surrounded by two-faced sycophants that want to get in his good graces for his money. It's implied he hounded Dieter and Soushi, who attend different schools, until they became his friends - his only friends until he meets Shin-Ae...and asks her to be his friend too.
- Luminescent Blush: He blushes in embarrassment when Shin-Ae catches him spinning in a wheelchair and falling off it.
- Master of the Mixed Message: His lavish kindness perplexes Shin-Ae to no end, especially because he already has a girlfriend. Shin-Ae calls him out on it and makes him tone it down in their friendship.
- Mr. Fanservice: Has the most - if not all of the - shirtless scenes among the guys, is overall handsome no matter what he wears and has a fairly amiable personality.
- Muscles Are Meaningful: Discussed and Justified. It is revealed and implied that Yeong-Gi trained to become physically fit because of something, probably negative, dealing with his father.
- Nice Guy: While somewhat nosy at times, he is still a good person.
- Nice, Mean, and In-Between: The In-between of his friend group. He has a mischievous side unlike Nice Guy Dieter and is more well-mannered the relatively brash Soushi.
- Odd Couple: How people feel when they first find out Alyssa and Yeong-Gi are dating. Lampshaded by Shin-Ae and Sang-Chul.
- Oh, Crap!: Has this face when his father sees him at the Mr. Kim's formal eating on the floor.
- Only Known By His Nickname: It is unknown how he got the nickname Nol, which only his brother, mom, and dad use, but it's clear that Yeong-Gi doesn't like it.
- His nickname "Nol" is likely the shortened version of his legal name, as it's the name the police call him by when they arrest him and the one he writes on the sign-in sheet when he goes to visit Shin-Ae at the hospital. "Yeong-Gi" appears to be his preferred name.
- Ow, My Body Part!: Complains that his head is pounding after he wakes up from being drugged at the Hirahara party.
- Please Don't Leave Me: When Shin-Ae tries to leave the meeting that was set-up by her friend Yeong-Gi grabs her had asking Shin-Ae not to leave him alone with his brother.
- Possessive Wrist Grab: Twice, he held on to Shin-Ae's wrist so she won't leave. However, he has since than stopped.
- Prank Call: As per his suggestion, Yeong-Gi prank calls Maya and Rika and tricks them into thinking that Shin-Ae was drunk at the bar.
- Pun: Of course played for laughs. Yeong-Gi likes to throw around a few puns here and there much to the annoyance of everyone
- Punch Catch: In one of the extras, Kousuke tries to punch Yeong-Gi after he does something insulting but he catches it and hits back. A fight then issues.
- Pungeon Master: The cold reception to his puns never stops him from making them.
- Punny Name: Invoked and lampshaded by Yeon-Gi himself.
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: When he tries to convince Shin-Ae to give him some chicken wings. It works.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The passionate and reckless red to Kousuke's calm and serious blue. One episode even color codes it with Yeong-gi wearing a red tie and Kousuke wearing a blue one.
- Red String of Fate: Played with. One of the author's drawings shows Yeong-Gi and Shin-Ae sharing red earphones with eachother.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Connections!: Pulls this on the bartender when he says that Shin-Ae and Yeong-Gi aren't of age. He allows them to have a drink when he sees Yeong-Gis ID showing his connection with his father.
- Sexual Euphemism: Played for laughs. Offers to give Shin-Ae a ride home but his words of choice make her think that he is talking about sex when he wasn't.
- Sexy Spectacles: When at home with his caretaker Ms. Lochlainn he wears brownish-black glasses.
- She's Not My Girlfriend: The employee working at Outdoor Cafe mistakes Shin-Ae for Yeong-Gis girlfriend but leaves before he could say the whole thing.
- It also happens again when Soo tries to repay Shin-Ae for helping her daughter she gives her a movie ticket so that Shin-Ae and Yeong-Gi, who was with her at the time, can go on a date. He quickly corrects her a tells her that it's not what it looks like.
- Ship Tease: With Shin-Ae.
- Shirtless Scene: Has more than a few scenes where his shirt is either off or unbuttoned
- Significant Green Eyed Red Head: Shin-Ae spilling a drink on him (by accident, no less) is what kick starts the plot.
- Sibling Team: While they have their arguments here and there when Shin-Ae is drugged at Mr. Kims formal and in danger they make no effort to work together to rescue her.
- Smells Sexy: According to Shin-Ae, at least four times, he smells really good.
- Stepford Smiler: Of the depressed/sad variety. Considering the type of family he has and the students at his school it's easy to recognize that some of his smiles aren't genuine at times. Shin-Ae finds it strange that he smiles all the time, although, it did give her comfort when she was blackmailed into going to a party by his mother. Shin-Ae even tells Yeong-Gi that she is glad he was there at the party. Kousuke also implies that Yeong-Gi's smile completely drops when no one is around.
- Strong Family Resemblance: To his father which is lampshaded by Megan and Mrs. Hirahara saying that he looks like a younger version of him.
- Swivel-Chair Antics: While waiting for Kousuke to get back so they can eat he starts spinning in a wheelchair until Shin-Ae comes and causes he loses his balance.
- Terrible Artist: In the first extra of Kousukes Corner it is revealed that compared to Shin-ae and Kousuke, Yeon-Gi drawing skills are horrible.
- That Came Out Wrong: Immediately regrets the way he tries to help Shin-Ae leave the Hirahara party with his words when he unintentionally makes it seem like hes asking for sex.
- The Unfavorite: Kousuke is favored more over Yeong-Gi by his parents. Most notably how his mother convinces everyone that he purposefully let Kousuke and Shin-Ae fall into the pool.
- What the Hell, Hero?:
- Gives one to Kousuke for trying to manipulate him into working for the company longer as well as rejecting Shin-Ae's work application due to his own biases rather than leaving it up to the hiring manager.
- Yeong-Gi later confronts Kousuke over signing Shin-Ae up for etiquette lessons, not only because he did so after hardly giving her a chance, but also without consideration for her long-term goals.
- When She Smiles: Gender-inverted. According to Shin-Ae, he has the type of smile that could let him get away with anything and it also makes her want to punch him and hug him at the same time.
- Workout Fanservice: He is shown training and sweating while wearing little to no clothing to cover his upper body several times through the series, most commonly when he is punching the sandbag.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: He tells Shin-Ae this after she beats herself up about her job application and among other things.
- You Must Be Cold: After he notices that Shin-Ae is shivering he goes to give her his jacket...at the same time as Kousuke. They both realize this but Yeong-Gi still motions to put it on her - though she takes it off when she starts teasing her.
- You're Cute When You're Angry: As Shin-Ae gets hyped and worked up over losing at Fabio Kart Yeong-Gi laughs and says he finds it cute.
- Youthful Freckles: His gender-swapped version in the What Ifs illustrations has these.
At the party Shin-Ae tried to avoid Nol, and tried to shake him off. When she tried to grab the last tiramisu she was beaten to it by Kousuke, which prompted a very petty and childish conflict between them. He was later revealed to be Nol's brother.
- Abel And Cain: Again, it is yet to escalate. Things ain't pretty, but it isn't hopeless.
- Accidental Pervert: Invoked by Hirahara after she catches Kousuke staring at Shin-Aes shirt(the one he bought for her at the mall).
- Aloof Big Brother: To Yeong-Gi. Its not as bad as before, as seen in flashback where there were instances of him coldly rejecting his brothers advances, but now hes trying to rectify it. Unfortunately, it will take some time as the damage has been done and his relationship with Yeong-Gi is now very strained.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: According to Word of God, in the extra "What If" chapter, Kousuke's mother is the genderbent version of him and she is considered very attractive.
- Bishounen: While he is already an adult, he still has soft features.
- Blind Date: Zigzagged. Shin-Ae and Kousuke had already met but Maya, posing as Shin-Ae, sets him up on a blind date with Shin-Ae not to have them hook up but to have Yeong-Gi, who she asks to bring along, meet Shin-Ae again since Kousuke was the only way of having Shin-Ae meet Yeong-Gi again.
- Blinding Bangs: Justified. As part of his disguise to find a drugged Shin-Ae without being noticed, he puts his hair in front of his eyes.
- Brutally Honest: He doesn't mince words regarding his thoughts on thing, especially things he doesn't like.
- Characterization Marches On: His first appearance has him being much more mean and emotional than usual, tripping and insulting Shin-Ae over a slice of cake. When Shin-Ae points this out later on he explains that he was very stressed and was desperate for the cake she had so he could cheer himself up.
- Chick Magnet: Like his brother many find him attractive. Seeing as he has a Abhorrent Admirer he is not very happy about it. He even has girl repellent in the form of make-up remover.
- Comfort Food: Kousuke loves sweets and part of the reason he eats it is to relieve stress.
- The Comically Serious: Frequently ends up as this.
- Covert Pervert: While he is usually aloof and stoic, his mother finally manages to find a crack in his defenses and get him to blush when she orchestrates Shin-Ae wearing his dress shirt with her legs being naked, save for her feet.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Downplayed. When eating with Shin-Ae and Yeong-Gi and seeing how well they are getting along he starts to do actions that are out of his comfort zone so as to fit in.
- Played straight when he asks Yeong-Gi to limit his interactions with Shin-Ae at Mr. Kim's formal.
- Dating Sim: In the "What If" chapter Kousuke is shown as character in a rpg game.
- Face Palm: When dealing with someone like Meg who wouldnt.
- Fatal Flaw: Perfectionism. He tends to measure everything up to his ridiculously high standards. And whenever something, or someone, fails to do so, he either looks down on them or takes drastic actions to change them so that they do (e.g., Signing Shin-Ae up for etiquette lessons after barely a day of work). This is already a source of friction between him and Yeong-Gi and it's evident that Shin-Ae is less than comfortable around him for this very reason.
- Fetish: Played for laughs and averted. When Kousuke says pandemonium Shin-Ae mishears his words as panda moans and thinks that he has weird fetishes. He doesnt.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: Downplayed, but he is generally the more mature of the two.
- Genius Sweet Tooth: Very smart and loves sweets to the point that the first time he and Shin-Ae meet is when they come in conflict over the last remaining tiramisu.
- Gentleman Snarker
- Handshake Substitute: When Kousuke greets Sang-Chul he initiates the standard business greeting to which Sang-Chul returns..somewhat.
- Has a Type: Played for laughs. Hirahara jokes around with Shin-Ae and tells her that Kousuke is more of a derriere kind of guy.
- Hypocrite: When Kousuke tells Yeong-Gi that he shouldnt let his personal bias for Shin-Ae affect his work, much less be his reason to work, Yeong-Gi backfires and calls Kousuke out on letting his personal bias for his brother and Shin-Ae affect the way he works.
- Holding Hands: He holds Shin-Aes hand after he listens to her talk about her family troubles.
- Icy Blue Eyes: Certainly a factor in his good looks.
- I Gave My Word: Tells Soushi that he promised his father that he would look after Yeong-Gi.
- Impossibly Delicious Food: Kousuke is very serious about his sweets - especially his favorite; White Chocoalate Raspberry Cheesecake. In fact when Shin-Ae says that she has had better cakes Kousuke recommends that she get her tongue checked.
- I'm Standing Right Here: As Yeong-Gi and Soushi discuss what happened at the hospital in which Maya tackled Kousuke, Yeong-Gi states that Kousuke probably deserved it. Cue Kousuke basically saying that he can hear them.
- Is That a Threat?: Says this word for word after Yeong-Gi threatens using him as a punching bag.
- Manipulative Bastard: He tricks Yeong-Gi into thinking that Shin-Ae is a potential candidate for getting a job to have his brother continue working, and then rejects Shin-Aes application without telling him. Yeong-Gi eventually calls Kousuke out for his actions.
- My Card: He gives Shin-Ae his business card so she can call him when she finds out how he can repay her for her help at the Hirahara party.
- Lost Food Grievance: The reason why he dislikes Meg so much. Sure, she stalks him and tries to touch him in places he doesn't want to be touched, but stealing his dessert is truly her most unforgivable crime.
- No Sense of Personal Space: Leans in close to Shin-Ae's face when questioning her about what happened to Yeong-Gi at the Hirahara party. Shin-Ae is not amused.
- Not So Above It All: Kousuke tripping up Shin-Ae to get the last piece of cake is this in-universe. Normally he's the very picture of a Princely Young Man.
- Then there is his reaction to seeing Shin-Ae wearing nothing but his dress shirt.
- Not What It Looks Like: Tries to explain to Rika and Maya that he didnt restrain Shin-Ae to the chair. They dont buy it.
- The Perfectionist: His attitude about everything and anything is more-or-less this trope.
- Picky Eater: Zizagged. Being the rich person that he is, his normal food intake consists of high class food so he it's not that he is unwilling so much as he isnt particularly used to common people food and shows discomfort in it. It's lampashaded by Shin-Ae and Yeong-Gi.
- Pretty Boy: Tall, handsome, and all the girls are not shy about pointing it out.
- Princely Young Man: Except when he is being Not So Stoic.
- Real Men Can Cook: Tells Shin-Ae that besides eating sweets he often tries to cook in his own time to deal with stress and that he learned quite a few recipes from his chef.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Has no qualms wearing a pink dress shirt.
- Serious Business: When Shin-Ae says that his favorite dessert isn't all that he suggest she goes to the hospital as everyone likes White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake .
- Ship Tease: With Shin-Ae.
- Shirtless Scene: Regularly averted. It gets to the point that when Yeong-Gi tries to forcefully invoke this in an omake, he is revealed to be wearing a second shirt underneath the first one.
- Sibling Team: While they have their arguments here and there when Shin-Ae is drugged and in danger they make no effort to work together to rescue her.
- Sleep Cute: One of the authors illustrations show him and Shin-Ae sleeping together.
- Split Personality: Averted. He doesn't have one. But from the way he acts when Shin-Ae first meets him to how he acts when they meet again at Outdoor Cafe, Shin-Ae briefly wonders if he has a split personality.
- Strong Family Resemblance: He looks very much like his mother. In fact, Word of God says that Kousuke is the genderbent version of his mother.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: When he's first introduced, Kousuke is quick to insult Shin-Ae and dismiss the fact that he shoved her to the ground. Several episodes later it's shown how much of a genuinely well-meaning, albeit irritable, man he is. This is best demonstrated when he promptly apologizes to Shin-Ae for his previous behavior upon meeting her again.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Gives one to Yeong-Gi on how he just hangs out with his friends without much motivation or goals to work in the family business and not really accomplishing anything significant for the family as of late.
- You Must Be Cold: He notices that she is cold... at the same time as Yeong-Gi. However, Yeong-Gi still motions to put it on her first. Cue Death Glare between the two.
- X on a Stick: Has some ricecake on a stick with Shin-Ae at the Spicy Spicy vendor stand.
Yeong-Gi's friend and Shin-Ae's classmate whose Love Confession to her kick off the plot.
- Ambiguously Bi: He's clearly attracted to Shin-Ae but his comments about Kosuke's complexion hints at some kind of attraction, especially considering he never makes comments like that elsewhere.
- Animal Motif: Bears, he has at least one pair of bear print underpants, multiple teddy bears, he gets Shin-Ae a large teddy bear at the amusement park, wears a bear ear headband that he got from the same park, and his sister says he's obsessed with bears.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Dieter is very kind and apparently prone to fainting when nervous, but can become tough when needed. Notably, he very politely and very firmly tells Kousuke to leave Shin-Ae alone at the theatre when she is obviously uncomfortable. He is also very capable in a fight.
- Bilingual Bonus: He sometimes resolves to German whenever he is nervous or flustered (most notably during his day out with Shin-Ae from episode 77-81).
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: The blonde to Soushi's brunette and Yeong-Gi's redhead.
- Breakout Character:
- Beginning to have a bigger role in the plot after a Day of the Dead poll shows him to be the most popular characters outside of the three leads.
- He is imagined to be the protagonist (with Shin-Ae as the main love interest) in the 2017 Special scenario "If I Love Yoo was a sport comic"
- Endearingly Dorky: He is awkward and shy in everyday life, constantly flustered and embarrassed (to the point of fainting) when speaking with Shin-Ae as well as having numerous other quirks because of his background. All of them seems to endear him to Shin-Ae.
- Crush Blush: The most obvious indicator that he's still attracted to Shin-Ae is his constant blushing around her.
- Goofy Print Underwear: Soushi finds a pair of bear print underwear in his house.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Has blond hair because of his German heritage (compare to the rest of the cast who has black hair) and is the most kind and compassionate character in the comic.
- Hidden Depths: He has been shown to be very capable with a gun, and horror movies are his favorite genre.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: He has blue eyes (due to his German heritage) and is one of the nicest and least-drama entangled character in the comic.
- Military Brat: Is raised by an American father in the military and a German tourist mother.
- Nice Guy: Is easily the nicest characters in the series. He is notably only ever has nice interaction in every single one of his appearances.
- Nice, Mean, and In-Between: The nicest of his best friend trio compare to the mischievous Yeong-Gi and brash Soushi
- She's Not My Girlfriend: He's quick to remind peole that he and Shin-Ae are just "acquaintances."
- Third-Option Love Interest: Shin-Ae seems to begin to have feeling for him after episode 77.
Sim Han Yoo
Shin-Ae's overwork but loving father.
- The Alcoholic: He develops a drinking problem because of the stress from work and his family life. It caused him to be in a coma from episode 46.
- Parents as People: Is a divorced father struggling to provide for his daughter and has a drinking problem.
- Put on a Bus: His alcoholism caused him to be hospitalized from episode 46 to 82.
- Solomon Divorce: He and his wife split the custody of Shin-Ae and her sister.
Yeong-Gi and Dieter's friend.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: The brunette to Dieter's blonde and Yeong-Gi's redhead.
- No Indoor Voice: He's almost always shouting about something.
- Nice, Mean, and In-Between: The "meanest" of his friend trio whose brash behavior contrast to Nice Guy Dieter and mischievous but well-behaved Yeong-Gi.
- Rugged Scar: Has a scar on his left cheek bone. This caused Yeong-Gi's school friends to be wary of him and his friendship with Yeong-Gi.
One of Shin-Ae's best friend whose father works under the Hirahara's family
- Nice Girl: Unlike Maya, who is seemingly (later confirmed) is only friends with Shin-Ae out of obligation to Min Hyuk, Rika is understanding of Shin-Ae's mistakes and gets along well with her new friends.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Has a lot of femininine interests along with her friend Maya in contrast to Shin-Ae's more Tomboy personality.
One of Shin-Ae's best friend
- Fair Weather Friend: Zigzagged. It was revealed that Maya doesn't particularly like Shin-Ae and only befriend her out of obligation to Min Hyuk. While she doesn't abandon Shin-Ae when her dad is hospitalized, she is increasingly irritated and annoyed when Shin-Ae doesn't want to share her life details with her.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Has a lot of femininine interests along with her friend Rika in contrast to Shin-Ae's more Tomboy personality.
Min Hyuk Park
Shin-Ae's best friend and Maya's older brother. Currently attending college in Chicago.
- Ascended Extra: He begins to have more plot impact after returning from Chicago after hearing Mr. Yoo is hospitalized.
- Big Brother Instinct: To Maya, despite hearing his sister tell Shin-Ae (his best friend) that she was "exhausting" to be around, he held no Ill feelings towards Maya and even comforted her afterwards.
- Childhood Friends: With Shin-Ae in the past.
- Lovable Jock
- Nice Guy
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Shin-Ae again.
Alyssa's sister and Kousuke's most prominent admirer (much to his annoyance).
- Pet the Dog: Meg was previously written as a shallow stalker. But she shows a kinder side at the party when she realizes Shin-Ae is being slipped date-rape drugs by Sang-Chul. She goes out of her way to alert Kousuke and Yeong-gi and get them to mount a rescue (which is more difficult than it should be thanks to them having little tolerance for her due of her previous antics.)
- Stalker with a Crush: She repeatedly harass and stalk Kousuke in both his professional and personal life to get close to him.
Yeong-Gi's current girlfriend who made her debut as a pop idol. She was also Shin-Ae's old friend.
The Hirahara's matriarch.
- An Offer You Can't Refuse: She manipulates Shin-Ae into this as Shin-Ae needs some serious money to help her dad at the hospital and their bills. The results aren't pretty.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Puts up a kind front but manipulates and takes advantage of Shin-Ae by offering her money so long as she complies with her requests - not to mention her treatment of Yeong-Gi.
- Compressed Hair: It is revealed she wears a cap when Yeong-Gi accidentally pulls of her wig as he is falling into the pool at Mr. Kims formal.
- Domestic Abuse: Implied. She's hinted to have abused Yeong-Gi in the past - not that she hasnt stopped. As such Yeong-Gi is shown to be extremely uncomfortable whenever in her presence.
- Icy Blue Eyes: She his light blue eyes - a trait which is passed down to Kousuke.
- Jerkass: Has no issue with messing with Yeong-Gi emotionally. She seems to enjoy his pain.
- Manipulative Bastard: Plays everyone around her like a fiddle. Most notably setting up Shin-Ae to go to Kousuke's apartment and the company party.
- She implies in the latter chapters that she traveled just to see what her husband would do and that she could "take everything from [him]."
- My Beloved Smother: Is incredibly overbearing with Kousuke, especially concerning his love life.
- Perpetual Smiler: The number of panels that she isn't smiling in number in the single digits.
- Pet the Dog: As much as she belittles and dislikes Yeong-Gi it doesnt stop her from trying to help him as he is about to fall into the pool from the second floor.
- Prim and Proper Bun: Has her hairstyle in this when she goes to meet Shin-Ae in the hospital to give her the money she owes. The real question is whether that is her real hair or a wig...
- Shipper on Deck: For Shin-Ae and Kousuke...for better or for worse.
- Smug Smiler: She is always shown with a confident smile on her face.
- Strong Family Resemblance: She looks very much like her son Kousuke. In fact, Word of God says that Kousuke is the genderbent version of his mother.
The Hirahara's patriarch
- Pet the Dog: Does this twice. First, after bailing out Yeong-Gi, he lends his son transportation so that he may go see Shin-Ae at the hospital. Then Mr. Hirahara helps Yeong-Gi's case so that the latter can receive a reduced sentence.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Despite what his treatment of Yeong-Gi suggests, Randulph is a lot more rational than he appears, especially within his business. He is very polite towards Shin-Ae and is surprisingly tolerant of her behavior, something that Kousuke, who takes strongly after his father in terms of personality, frequently condemns.
- Secret Test of Character: Invokes this with Shin-Ae by feigning belief in the gossip surrounding Yeong-Gi to see how she would react. He later reveals that this was to test her loyalty to Yeong-Gi so that she could be entrusted to do a secret task for his son.
- Strong Family Resemblance: To his son Yeong-Gi which is lampshaded by Megan and Mrs. Hirahara saying that Yeong-Gi looks like a younger version of him.
Sang Chul Kim
A high-ranking employee of the Hirahara corporation.
Shin-Ae's older sister who got separated from her since their parents' divorce. She recently surfaced when Shin-Ae discovered her breaking into Shin-Ae and their father's apartment.
- Anonymous Benefactor: She was the one who sought out the charity that helped with paying the hospital bill for Mr. Yoo as well as paid for Shin-Ae and their father's rent.
- Poor Communication Kills: The whole mess of episode 83-85 could have easily been avoided if she just talked to Shin-Ae normally. Running out of the bathroom that Shin-Ae locked her in didn't make her case any easier.
- Recurring Extra: She has appeared in the background numerous times since episode 18. Justified because she was actually stalking Shin-Ae.
- Stalker Without a Crush: She has been stalking Shin-Ae for a couple of months ever since she heard Shin-Ae's name in chapter 18.
A mysterious woman with an unknown relationship to Kousuke and the Hiraharas.