- Caper Crew: (original crew) Mickey is the Mastermind, Stacey is the Distraction, Ash is the Hacker, the Gadget Guy, and the Safe Cracker, and the Driver. Danny is the New Kid. Albert and Stacey take turns acting as the Partner in Crime; everyone except Ash takes turns as the Conman.
- Con Man: Everyone in the gang, naturally.
- Graceful Loser: This is the main thing that separates them from the marks, especially Mickey. On the rare occasions our heroes completely lose, they tend to take it quite calmly, and in one episode where they were completely and utterly owned by a little girl, though they didn't know that, they actually showed approval, with Albert saying they had witnessed a master at work. By contrast, whenever a mark loses, they tend to scream, yell and throw tantrums.
- Honor Among Thieves: The bent cops will often try to call them out on this claiming there to be no such thing but have to coerce people to betray other crooks. Albert says to Emma that all con men rely on honour among thieves because that's the only way they know they're not going to get screwed over mid con by one of their suppliers of fake goods.
- Karmic Thief: They generally target people who deserve it, partly to justify their crimes to themselves since otherwise they are in it just for the thrill and the money. In addition the victims are invariably very smug, dogkickers and outright jerkasses in their demeanor. Notably the hustlers are reluctant to go after the really evil victims, like gangsters and killers, purely because they know their normal marks won't chop them to pieces if they get caught out, and not because they think their normal targets deserve it more.
- Loveable Rogue: The main reason the group are protagonists; for all that they're technically criminals, at heart they're not bad people.
Michael "Mickey Bricks" Stone
Played by: Adrian Lester (Series 1-3, 5-8)
The main character and leader of the team in every Series except the fourth. Mickey is a confident and charismatic man who usually plays high-status characters. He chooses to grift because he loves the thrill, and also because of the fate of his father, an honest man who worked hard all his life only to drop dead of a heart attack the day before he retired.
Played by: Marc Warren (Series 1-4)
- Abhorrent Admirer: She attracts a few. She also views Danny as this at first.
- Back for the Finale
- Brainy Brunette: She's dark-haired and clever. She's the team's banker and often helps the team with accounts of the.
- Dude Magnet
- Good with Numbers: There's a reason she's the "banker" of the team.
- Ms. Fanservice: Both for the show and for the cons themselves, where she is typically used in such a way. She also happens to be a very well-written character and a mathematical genius.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Black-haired, pale and considered very beautiful. Men admire her and a new-comer Danny immediately starts crushing on her. She sometimes plays an exotic beauty in their schemes and she's occasionally required to Show Some Leg.
- The Smurfette Principle: She's the only woman on the team.
- Team Mom: In creating the series, Tony Jordan realised that the principal characters could not have any friends or family outside the crew and therefore sought to create a nominal family with Stacie providing the role of substitute mother/wife.
- Woman Scorned: One episode revolves around an elaborate revenge plot against her estranged husband.
- The Gambling Addict: Albert's gambling habit has landed the crew in more than one scrape, and is implied to be a major reason why he has never retired from grifting.
- Gentleman Thief: He loves playing this part, despite being a cobbler.
- Graceful Loser: When Joseph Whittaker-Wright III utterly wipes the floor with the team and they're too late to stop him escaping, Albert can only laugh and marvel about how impressive JW 3's con was.
- Meaningful Name: He's the oldest of the crew.
- Might as Well Not Be in Prison at All: Any time he's incarcerated.
- Nice to the Waiter: He's friends with every concierge in London and in later seasons often finds marks like this. His ex wife uses this to find him in the season 7 finale.
Ash "Three Socks" Morgan
Played by: Robert Glennister.
- Mr. Fixit: He's the most technically minded member of the team.
- Rousing Speech: He gives one about the beauty of football and what it means to Britain at the start of "The Fall of Railton FC". It noticeably fails to inspire the rest of crew until he adds that it will also involve "Lolly. Lots of lolly".
Ash: "Because football is my game, football is your game, football is OUR game. AND I WANT IT BACK!"
Ash: "Well you're supposed to clap and cheer at that bit".
Ash: "There's lolly in it. Lots of lovely lolly".
- Unwilling Suspension: "Picasso Finger Painting" opens with Ash hanging upside down by his ankles in a deserted warehouse. He proceeds to explain how he ended up in this predicament.
Played by: Ashley Walters (Series 4)
Played by: Kelly Adams (Series 5-8)
Played by: Matt DiAngelo (Series 5-8)