The one and only, later famous as an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.
, Sergeant Fury leads his squad to victory time and time again against impossible odds.
Cpl. Timothy Aloysius Cadwallader "Dum-Dum" Dugan
A former circus strongman and Fury's second-in-command, known for his distinctive bowler derby. The only things that scare Dugan are his wife and mother-in-law.
Pvt. Dino Manelli
A famous movie star who chose to stop making movies about the war and actually enlist. Dino is the squad's resident linguist, speaking German and Italian fluently.
- Bilingual Bonus: Dino is fluent in both German and Italian, making him the perfect candidate when the Howlers are incognito.
- The Charmer: Aside from being able to attract a multitude of women with his personal charm, he can also handle a lot of social situations when dealing with enemy troops.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Appears to be based on fellow Italian American actor Dean Martin, who was also drafted in WWII, though Martin became famous after the war.
- The comic also revealed that Dino used to be a comedian, working as a duo with an old friend named Jerry Larkins, who was obviously based on Jerry Lewis.
- Omni Glot
Pvt. Robert "Rebel" Ralston
A southern farm boy never seen without Confederate cap.
Pvt. Isadore "Izzy" Cohen
A wisecracking Brooklyn-born Jewish soldier who joined the army in response to the persecution of his people in Europe. The Howlers' resident mechanic.
Pvt. Percival "Percy" Pinkerton
An effete and unflappable British soldier assigned to fill out the Howlers' ranks after the death of their youngest member, "Junior" Juniper.
Jonathan "Junior" Juniper
An Ivy League graduate and founding member of the Howling Commandoes, he was the youngest member of the team.
A German ex-patriot and former pilot in the Luftwaffe, Koenig was convinced to switch sides by Nick Fury and eventually became a Howler after sharing all the intelligence he had with the Allies.
- Defector from Decadence: He highly dislikes what Nazism did to Germany, and figured out that the best way to save his country was by switching sides and help the Allies to purge Nazis from Germany.
- Double Reverse Quadruple Agent: For Fury's horror, Koening turns against the Allies and goes back to the Nazis, mocking Fury about how he was a Nazi spy all along and how easily he fooled everyone. Later Fury discovers this was a huge lie and Koening was just pretending to be a traitor so the Nazis could accept him back and so, he could spy and report their secrets to the Allies.
- HeelFace Turn: As stated above, he's a former Luftwaffe pilot who defects to the Allied forces.
Capt. Samuel "Happy Sam" Sawyer
A U.S. army captain responsible for recruiting Nick Fury as the leader of the First Attack Squad, nicknamed the "Howling Commandos."