A character page for the Roleplay Danganronpa: Hope's Requiem. Unmarked Spoilers ahead.
Ryo Kitgawa is the Ultimate Engimatologist
- Artificial Limbs: May or may not be part robot.
- Electronic Eyes: He does in fact have an electronic eye.
- Deadpan Snarker: Ryo has a tendency of insulting/make sarcastic remarks towards others.
- The Comically Serious:Pretty much any time after he gets involved with the group in which humor comes along. On the one hand, he gets to show what a Deadpan Snarker he is, but also shows his Not So Above it All trope.
- Berserk Button: Ryo hates being called a cyborg, going as far to choke Ryouta because of it. Partially subverted as Ryo does not get angry when being called a cyborg by a woman.
- Survivor Guilt: Ryo basically caused his accident by telling his father to go faster to get to the laboratory, causing him to gain his prosthetics and paralyzing his father. Ryo hates himself because of that, because he feels he shouldn't have survived due to it being his fault.
- Diary: Ryo keeps a log of everything that happens around him in his diary.
- Easy Amnesia: After being hit in the face by Amalthea, Ryo forgot everything about her and their relationship. Due to that, Ryo believed that it was better to break off the relationship and start again as friends instead of a couple.
- Get a Hold of Yourself, Man!!: Ryo decided to slap Alan when he was on the emergency room so he'd stop lying to himself about being alright and faking his smiles.
- Chick Magnet: Somehow Ryo managed to get 3 girls to like him without doing almost anything.
- Labcoat of Science: Because all scientists wear coats.
- I Love the Dead: He tried to steal Riko's corpse. It was eventually retconned, but the entire cast freaked out and assumed he was going to do lewd things to it.
- Secret Relationship: It was revealed after Riko's death that he and Riko had been in a relationship. They didn't tell anyone for reasons unknown.
Kindness is the Ultimate Hitman.
- Hitman with a Heart: Kindness to a T.
- Professional Killer: Kindness is a killer by profession.
- Badass Longcoat: Kindness wears a large longcoat, complete with a fur collar.
- Closet Key: Kindness is this for Ryouta. He allowed Ryouta to open up in the prologue and officially became Ryouta's significant other in Chapter 1.
- Meaningful Name: Kindness is very kind.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Kindness has blonde hair and a kind soul!
- The Big Guy: As 6'4" and extremely fit, Kindness is largest member of the male cast.
- Never Hurt an Innocent: He might be a paid killer, but he has standards.
- Trapped in Villainy: He's forced to do the bad things that he does, and the implication is that he, or someone else he cares about, would die if he stopped.
- Love Triangle: Kindness was a part of a Love Triangle established at the start of Chapter 2. Kindness began dating Ryouta in the middle of Chapter 1 but in late Chapter 1 Yuuto confessed his love to Ryouta. This caused difficulty because Ryouta didn't exactly decide to turn Yuuto down. In late Chapter 2, Ryouta formally turned Yuuto down for Kindness, ending the love triangle. Kindness was ready to dump Ryouta during but he chose to forgive Ryouta. ...Sort of.
Masaki Hibiki is the Ultimate Florist. Back in his hometown, he owns a flower shop called "Sumire".
- Bishōnen: Masaki is described as incredibly handsome. His attractiveness led to him being extremely popular with the female customers in his flower shop.
- Troll: Masaki enthusiastically described his flower raising process to Yuuto and Riko, very clearly messing with them and making stuff up as he went along.
- "The most important first step is to bathe each flower in a concoction made of purified pig urine and bat blood. It keeps them fresh."
- "It also helps to perform a gregorian chant over the vase you'd like to use, sprinkling it with a light layer of cyanide. You may think that would harm the plants, but in fact, it reacts with the pig urine to make an excellent fertilizer."
- When Riko begins to laugh: "What seems to be the problem, Oshiro? This is a serious and professional technique passed down to traditional Japanese florists over thousands of years..."
- Innocent Innuendo: The entirety of the biscuit making scene with Yuuto in the prologue. Masaki's dialogue may or may not be as innocent when compared with Yuuto's as they were complete with winking.
Alan Hidiya is the Ultimate Investigator. He also goes by the name Alan Cross, having been raised by a different family than the one who birthed him.
- Amateur Sleuth: Has only solved one case.
- Adorkable: Alan is socially awkward, often blanking out during conversations to come back and apologize. His bumbling nature combined with willingness to help others leads to this trope.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Alan is constantly undermining his own investigative ability and praising others.
- To Riko, The Ultimate Conspiracy Theorist: "Your deductive reasoning must be much greater than mine if you could figure that out!"
- Cloth Fu: In chapter 1, he fought Reikai and defended Yuuto by throwing his own hoodie at her.
- Forgets to Eat: Alan has a horrible habit of forgetting to eat. Reikai, Yuuto, Kristen, and others have to remind him. Even then, he still forgets.
- Afraid of Needles: Alan has a crippling fear of sharp objects, particularly knives.
- Missing Time: Alan has frequent memory loss, days and hours jumped by without him realizing
Shoichi is the Ultimate Waiter, and also the killer of Riko, during chapter 2.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Has long, flowing black hair pulled back in a ponytail.
- Guy Liner: Shoichi's eyeliner ran in one of the many shower hijinks of chapter 1.
- Happily Failed Suicide: Shoichi had intended to commit suicide in Chapter 1, but was stopped by Luka. He seems to be happy his attempt was foiled.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: Lots of pretty boys in this cast, and this one dresses in all dark colors!
- Split Personality: He has an alter ego named 'Setsuko' he seems to revert to when stressed.
- Only Sane Man: Despite the above, Karry Holster comments that he's one of the most sane people in the cast.
Luka is the Ultimate Chemist.
- Cool Mask: Luka has a small respirator that covers the lower half of his face and his nose.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Twenty days into the killing game, and some still aren't sure if he's a man or a woman...
- Hot Scientist: What can I say? He's a pretty boy.
- Love Potion: Has offered to make something only referred to as... 'gay juice'.
- Pretty Boy: Exactly what it says on the tin.
Ultimate Stationmaster and Student Council President
Yuuto Shima is the current Student Council President at Hope's Peak Academy. He is also the Ultimate Stationmaster and runs a train station near Hope's Peak Academy.
- Student Council President
- Rail Enthusiast: Yuuto's apparent fascination with trains and railways allowed him to become the Ultimate Stationmaster.
- Ambiguously Bi: While Yuuto has shown interest in Ryouta, he also was staring at the women's swimsuits when shopping with Faustina in the ship's boutique.
- Yuuto claimed to be straight when asked by Masaki in Truth or Dare.
- Yuuto confessed to Ryouta late Chapter 1.
- Idiot Hair: While usually covered by his hat, Yuuto has an odd notched hair flip on the top of his head.
- Nice Hat: Yuuto is usually seen wearing his blue hat. Unlike the rest of his uniform, Yuuto claims that his hat is an entirely stylistic choice and he has a different one he wears for work. It's just cool looking!
- Meaningful Name: With the way "Yuuto" is spelled (佑人), his first name literally means "helpful person".
- Character Tics: Yuuto has a habit of covering his mouth with his hand or placing a hand on his chin as he speaks.
- First-Name Basis: From the beginning, Yuuto calls Faustina by her first name alone. Everyone else he uses their surname with -san or -kun honorifics.
- Later in chapter 1, Yuuto shifts from calling Alan Hidiya-san to Alan.
- Hates Being Touched: Yuuto can't stand being touched. He pulls away or flinches when someone other than himself initiates contact.
- He will, however, touch others if he's trying to comfort them.
- Break Them by Talking: Yuuto tries this on occasion, mostly to the ship's many robots.
- To Kyaputen Kit "..I'm disappointed in you, Kit-san. As caretaker, I thought you would be more on top of the cleanliness of the facility..."
- To Monotaro: "What's with this Killing Game atmosphere? You and your siblings chiming up into the chatroom? Interrupting bathes? It's pathetic! Nothing despair-inducing at all!"
- Bystander Syndrome: Yuuto stood there watching as Kit was trapped inside the laundry chute in Chapter 1. It took Kindness to run down the hall from the security room to save the day, despite Yuuto having the ability to pull her out by himself.
- Crime of Self-Defense: Yuuto defended himself when Reikai tried to punch him in Chapter 1 by forcing Reikai to the ground. Kindness then angrily questioned Yuuto on what happened, going as far to give him a Death Glare.
- Would Hit a Girl: Yuuto didn't hesitate to take Reikai down in Chapter 1 when Reikai tried to punch him. However, he did let Reikai slap him first.
- "It" Is Dehumanizing: Yuuto refuses to refer to any of the robots as he/she. Instead, he demotes Kit and the others to "It".
- Yuuto also refuses to call the Monokubs by their individual names, referring to them all as "Monokuma". However, when talking with a student he uses the Monokub's proper names to differentiate.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: Yuuto is almost always wearing his Stationmaster uniform, complete with undershirt, vest, tie, and suit jacket.
- Mistaken for Gay: "A-Alright, Shima, you better not get any ideas—you're not about to be fuckin' parking your train in my station, got it!?"
- Yuuto's friendly greetings and invitations in the prologue trigger Ryouta's Armoured Closet Gay.
- Karry walked in on Yuuto and Masaki making biscuits in the prologue. She also walked in on Yuuto scrubbing Ryouta's back in the baths. This hasn't left a good impression on her.
- Innocent Innuendo: The entirety of the biscuit making scene with Masaki in the prologue.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Yuuto has red eyes that break up his otherwise cool-colored design. He also acts in an unsettling manner and is shown to be physically capable after taking down Reikai in Chapter 1.
- Desecrating the Dead: Yuuto dug out the glass eye of Riko's grandfather with a spoon for her. ...Unfortunately for him, he got the wrong eye at first.
- Does Not Like Spam: Yuuto forced himself to eat a can of spam with plain bread in pantry in Chapter 1, choking himself through it for the sake of the calories alone.
- Love Triangle: Yuuto was a part of a Love Triangle established at the start of Chapter 2. He confessed his love to Ryouta, but Ryouta was dating Kindness. Even still, Ryouta considered Yuuto's feelings and did not decline his confession. In late Chapter 2, Ryouta turned Yuuto down formally...Right before they went to trial for the murder Ryouta thought he committed.
- Mood Dissonance: Yuuto has an extremely bad habit of saying morbid things with a smile on his face. He doesn't seem very phased by blood or gore. In chapter 1, he petted Gemma's severed head while carrying out a conversation!
- Best Friend: Alan and Faustina are Yuuto's best friends and the people he trusts the most. He shared his room with them both (at different times)and has lived with both Alan and Faustina, a symbol of his trust instead of his usual paranoia.
- Homoerotic Subtext: "Alan Were partners, right?"
- If It's You, It's Okay: Yuuto claimed to be straight, but also directly confessed his love to Ryouta. Even after this event, he continued to tell others he was straight, saying that Ryouta was "Special" reminded him of his childhood friend Yida.
- Skewed Priorities: Yuuto responded to Misa passed out in the pharmacy surrounded by pills. He showed mild concern for the situation, checking her temperature but nothing about her seemed really off until in her deluded state she commented that his hair was dumb. His hair was dumb? But she said it was cool earlier! Something HAD to be off!
Ultimate Cult Leader
Ka is the Ultimate Cult Leader. He killed Gemma in The Gallows motive chapter 1.
- Mystery Cult: Not much is known about the inner workings of his cult.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Ka only properly interacted with one student in Chapter 1 before being executed as the chapter 1 killer. Most of the cast hadn't even met him before the trial!
- Loners Are Freaks: Others in the cast claim the reason he killed was because he was a 'shut-in', and not... y'know, the freaky god complex or the stressful motives.
- Holier Than Thou: Literally believed himself to be a god, even when not a single person in the cast believed him.
- Merger of Souls: He didn't KILL Gemma! Don't be silly, he simply absorbed her soul by sacrificing her to himself!
Ryouta is the Ultimate Seamstress. He was "registered" on the cruise as the Ultimate Guitarist but revealed his true talent chapter 1 after urging from his boyfriend Kindness. In Chapter 2, he attempted to kill Riko Oshiro by locking her inside the Sauna but ultimately had his kill stolen by Shoichi Sekigawa.
- Armoured Closet Gay: Ryouta insists he's straight and remains extremely closeted, even after Kindness became his actual boyfriend in Chapter 1. He's also very quick to accuse others of being gay.
- Berserk Button: Paired with Ryouta being an Armoured Closet Gay, Ryouta screams at others when accused of being gay.
- No Indoor Voice: Ryouta screams everything he types into the chatbox.
- "LOWER CASE IS FOR THE LOWER CLASS"
- Momma's Boy: Ryouta breaks down in Chapter 1 after seeing hearing of his mother's kidnapping in the Chapter 1 motive. He talks about his mother fondly, even going as far as to know her famous devil's food cake recipe by heart.
- Adorkable: Ryouta tries to act tough and scary but underneath his angry, closeted facade he's a big socially awkward softie.
- That Came Out Wrong: Paired with Accidental Innuendo, his lack of social skills often lead to him to say things that sound like innuendos.
- Ryouta also makes a lot of intentional innuendos.
- Imagined Innuendo: Ryouta often misinterprets the male cast's speech to be hitting on him.
- Unmanly Secret: Ryouta hid the fact that he was the Ultimate Seamstress because of his insecurities with the talent being too feminine.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Ryouta's first instinct to a situation is to scream profanities.
- ""WHAT THE ENTIRE HOLY JESUS FUCKING HELL SHIT ASS TITS MOTHERBALLS IS THAT?!"
- Never Live it Down: Ryouta flashed Pion and Kindness in the prologue. Pion hasn't let him live it down since.
- Ungrateful Bastard: On the first day of the Prologue, Ryouta got stuck on the rock climbing wall and needed to be rescued by Kindness. In exchange, Ryouta hurled insults towards Kindness.
- Tsundere: Bad at accepting compliments, bad at giving them, and tries to act tough and indifferent to hide his inner softie.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Ryouta is closer to his cat, Poki, than anyone else.
- Nerd Glasses: Don't quite fit his aesthetic, but sadly he needs them to see.
- Would Hit a Girl: Ryouta punches Karry in the face Chapter 1 after she insults him for being so closeted.
- Crush Blush: Ryouta often blushes or goes red when around Kindness, even after they became a couple.
- Sympathetic Adulterer: Ryouta kissing Yuuto was prefaced by a short reflective introspective about Ryouta's crippling loneliness and ended with an extremely regretful and guilty Ryouta.
- Love Triangle: Ryouta was a part of a Love Triangle established at the start of Chapter 2. Ryouta began dating Kindness in the middle of Chapter 1 but in late Chapter 1 Yuuto confessed his love to him. Ryouta didn't turn Yuuto down, instead confessing that he hopes for an ending where they could all get along. In late Chapter 2, Ryouta did formally turn Yuuto down, telling him he had come to the realization that his feelings were false.
- Desperately Craves Affection: This was Ryouta's excuse for his actions with Yuuto. He didn't actually love Yuuto, but he desperately craved affection and wanted to be loved. He only realized that this feeling was not love later in Chapter 2, though.
Ultimate Cyber Terrorist
Pion is the Ultimate Cyber Terrorist.
Malory Dubois is the Ultimate Thespian. She was revealed in chapter 2 after taking off her shades and dust mask to reveal herself as the true identity of Pion, the Ultimate Cyber Terrorist.
Ultimate Viral Sensation
Kristen Harris is the Ultimate Viral Sensation.
Ultimate VR Superstar
Reikai is the Ultimate VR Superstar. She's an online pop idol who uses a cute, thin, anime girl as her singing persona. She's self conscious about her appearance thanks to the idol industry so her real life persona wears a VR Headset almost 24/7 and hides her face.
- Fat Girl
- Idol Singer: Her online persona is a cute singing anime catgirl.
- Cat Girl: Even without her persona, she still dresses in a feline fashion.
- Team Chef: Often cooks meals for the entire group... which are entirely too large, but it's the thought that counts.
- Big Eater: When Reikai cooks, she makes a lot more food than everyone needs. She also eats a lot more than she needs.
- Blush Sticker: Reikai's VR helmet contains permanent big blush circles painted on.
- Faux Yay: Reikai feigned homosexuality when she dated Pion/Malory, when she is, in truth, straight, due to her being scared of hurting their feelings by saying "no" to dating them.
- The Shut-In: Reikai, despite her friendly nature, shut herself in her home for years on end during her pop star career, out of fear of losing popularity if her true appearance was revealed to the world.
- Escapism: Reikai tends to try and avoid stresses if she can, or escape a painful situation through escapism. Using her VR helmet is her most common way, but she has tried this in a more dangerous and harmful way when she set out to pretend Kindness was her lover, which backfired.
Amalthea is the Ultimate Knight.
Ultimate Conspiracy Theorist
Riko Oshiro is the Ultimate Conspiracy Theorist. She was the chapter 2 victim and her corpse was found within the sauna.
- Conspiracy Theorist: "I DON'T LIKE THEM PUTTING CHEMICALS IN THE WATER MAKING THE FRIGGING FROGS GAY!"
- Character Blog: Riko canonically has a blog that she shares her conspiracies on. Her creator also made a Riko-themed tumblr as a joke, but it isn't canon.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: "I left all of my speed on the boat." Riko is implied to have some sort of Attention Deficit Disorder.
- Vocal Dissonance: Subverted. Riko was jokingly described as having the voice of Timmy Turner. Unfortunately for her, it fits her perfectly.
- Sir Swearsalot: "Fuck off, Robitch!""PION SHUT YOUR FUCK IMMEDIATELY!" "Bitch, why you on the floor?" "Larry I will break your kneecaps I swear to fucking dick shit" "Sup, dipshits." "I have no idea what the fuck is going on right now.""Oh, that... Shit's fucked, y'know?" "KINDNESS SAID THE FUCK!"
- Hates Being Touched: Riko often flinches away when she's touched, showing a clear dislike of it.
- Creepy Souvenir: She has her grandfather's glass eye... Please don't ask.
- Stress Vomit: After watching Yuuto horribly mutilate her grandpa's corpse for her Creepy Souvenir glass eye in chapter 1. Very justified.
- The Gadfly: Riko is always saying things to get a rise out of other people, but she's mostly bark and no bite.
- The Napoleon: Clearly.
- Bratty Half-Pint: Riko is 5'1" and at times, a total brat.
- Reformed Criminal: In Chapter 2, Riko revealed that she spent several years in a juvenile prison. She seems to have learned a lot since then since she often compares the chaos of the killing game to her experiences in jail.
- Ambiguous Disorder: Subverted. Riko's autism is directly stated and referenced to in the RP.
- Secret Relationship: It was revealed after Riko's death that she and Ryo had been in a relationship. They didn't tell anyone for reasons unknown.
Ultimate Fashion Blogger
Gemma is the Ultimate Fashion Blogger. She was the chapter 1 victim and her corpse was found within the cold storage.
- The Nicknamer: Rarely says a name straight.
- Genki Girl: Gemma is very cheerful and is always happy.
- Multicolored Hair: Gemma has pastel pink hair with bright blue highlights.
- Cute and Psycho: After the Chapter 1 motive reveal, Gemma began to behave in a way that seemed less than sane.
- Shipper on Deck: Gemma kept a shipping chart in her room's dresser, playing matchmaker with the cast.
- Kill the Cutie: Oops.
- Blood from the Mouth: And just about everywhere else.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: A new meaning to getting 'smashed'.
- Gory Discretion Shot
- Nausea Fuel
- Half the Man He Used to Be: Of course, she was cut into smaller pieces than just halves...
- Off with His Head!
- Dies Wide Open
- Moment of Silence
- Plot-Triggering Death: Ah, the joys of being the Chapter 1 victim...
Karry is the Ultimate Psychologist.
- I'm Not Here to Make Friends:
- Punny Name: Look out, she's got a gun! (Does not actually have a gun.)
- Psycho Psychologist: Karry's skills as a psychologist are extremely questionable. While she does make some correct diagnostics, she also told Ryouta he was insane for his mental illnesses, causing him to break down. Karry has also made a number of out-there assumptions of her patients, despite not properly prying into their past in her Psychoanalysis sessions to unearth the detection of such illnesses.
- Not to mention, despite talking about the importance of client confidentiality earlier, Karry released all of her Psychoanalysis notes to the public in the Virtual Messenger during Despair Disease chapter 3. While she was currently under the effects of her disease, she discussed releasing them with Ryo before while she was not sick.
Misa is the Ultimate Artisan. She was noticed for her talent after beginning to upload DIY videos to the internet, and eventually started to run her own blog and online store.
- Asleep in Class: Used to do this a lot, as she would often work into the early morning hours or even pull all-nighters for her job.
- Berserk Button: She really does not take well to having her intelligence insulted.
- Big Eater: Has an irregular eating schedule, so she will sometimes consume a ridiculous amount of food in one sitting after not eating for a while.
- Cosplay: Not a major hobby of hers, but her talent makes her quite adept at sewing costumes and building props.
- Covert Pervert: She'd never admit it though.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Nearly gave herself a concussion in the Prologue. Remember, don't run by the pool kids.
- Cuteness Proximity: See character quote.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: She loves all small fluffy animals, but cats are her absolute favourite.
- Feminine Women Can Cook: Part of her talent.
- Textile Work Is Feminine: Ditto.
- Girlish Pigtails: For extra cuteness factor!
- Girly Girl: Not obvious from her standard outfit, but she only wears that for practical reasons, the rest of her wardrobe is full of cute pastel colours.
- Japanese Honorifics: She calls everyone '-san', although she uses '-kun' for Poki the cat.
- Labcoatof Science: Subverted, it's actually an art smock that looks like a lab coat.
- Missing Mom: Her mother died when she was a child.
- Nice Girl: During the prologue, she was always polite and friendly. The friendly part has declined a little since being put into the killing game, but she's still one of the nicer and more sensible characters.
- Out-of-Character Moment: Dropped her usual calm and friendly demeanor when pressed by Karry during her psych evaluation.
- Purple Is the New Black: Depending on the artist.
- Sailor Fuku: Her standard outfit is a cropped seifuku shirt with boys' uniform pants altered into shorts. Also counts as a Custom Uniform.
- Scully Box: To a minor degree. She's actually even smaller than Riko who is constantly acknowledged to be tiny, but her standard outfit includes 9cm heels which puts her closer to average height.
Faustina is the Ultimate Silvertongue. Her father is the CEO of Charon Enterprises.
Ethan Cross is the Ultimate Narrator and self-proclaimed brother of Alan Hidiya. He first made his appearance in Chapter 3, being accidentally awoken from his stasis pod cryostasis sleep by Kindness.
- Narrator: Being his talent, Ethan likes to narrate his actions, often annoying those around him with his prose.
Mysterious Sleeping Girl
Sayuri Kaetsu is a mysterious little girl laying sleeping in a Stasis Pod. She made her first physical appearance in Chapter 3, discovered sleeping in the stasis room alongside Ethan Cross. Before that she made an offhand appearance in Chapter 2, being found in a discarded photograph that labelled her as 'Sayuri Kaetsu'.
- Girl in a Box: Sayuri is locked and suspended in a stasis pod, frozen in cryptosleep.
Caretaker of the Mysterious Fascility
Kyaputen Kit is a cute, tiny cat robot that lives inside the facility that the students found themselves trapped in. She seems to have lived there a while, but claims to not know much about it herself due to her corrupted memory.
- I'm Taking Her Home with Me!: Reikai probably would steal Kit and take her home if not for the fact that they're all stuck.