Character sheet for Hooky.
Daniela (Dani) Wytte
A young witch and Dorian's twin sister. She's more cheerful, bubbly, and outgoing than he is, although she has a harder time controlling her magic.
- Afraid of Their Own Strength: She is afraid that she could kill someone with her magic. Considering her raw power and lack of control, this fear is fairly justified.
- Badass Adorable: She's cute as a button and very powerful.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Dani is a sweet kid, but dont hurt her loved ones. She goes on a short Roaring Rampage of Revenge when Alex is stabbed.
- Break the Cutie: The whole series is one for her.
- Broken Bird: Post timeskip, when she thinks Dorian has died.
- The Chosen One: Deconstructed. The prophecy that involves either her or Dorian is not about saving the world, it's about which one will go bad and become the King of Witches.
- The Corruptor: The evil spirit she assumes command of from Alice and Romas has proven to be a poor friend, instead luxuriating in her despair over watching 'Dorian' die and essentially dominating her personality.
- Costume Evolution: She has several of these.
- Creepy Child: She's usually sweet, but she has her moments...
- Curtains Match the Window: Black hair and eyes.
- Cute Witch: Is a witch, and very adorable.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Is dressed all in black until she doesn't want to be a witch anymore for a time and isn't evil at all.
- Demonic Possession: Her evil spirit companion has slowly grown in strength, allowing it to possess her on occasion after the time skip.
- Despair Event Horizon: When she thinks she's seen Dorian die.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: She has these after the time skip.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Post time skip.
- FaceHeel Turn: After the time skip, when she thinks Dorian has died, she becomes incredibly detached from the world and is the cause for a lot of death.
- Genki Girl: She was one of these in the beginning, and then things started going downhill...
- Hair Decorations: She usually has ribbons or bows in her hair.
- Half-Identical Twins: With Dorian. They look almost exactly alike, but have very different personalities.
- Heroic BSoD: She experiences the most tragic events in the story. The first after Alex is killed. Then her father is killed. And this all culiminates into the B.S.O.D of B.S.O.Ds when she believes Dorian has been burnt at the stake.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: After she's nearly burnt at the stake, Dani has no desire to be a witch anymore.
- Important Haircut: Dani cuts her hair short when she resolves to give up her magic.
- In-Series Nickname: Dani is short for Danielle.
- The Ophelia: Post time skip. After thinking she sees Dorian die, her mind deteriorates. We later see her with hair that falls down to her waist, teary eyes, and with her barely able to remember any of her friends.
- Plucky Girl: Dani was nearly burned at the stake, but retains her optimism and strong moral fiber.
- Precocious Crush: She has a crush on Mark, whos at least a couple years older than her.
- Rapunzel Hair: After the time skip, her hair falls to her waist.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: She has jet black hair and white skin.
- Sanity Slippage Due to a lot of Break the Cutie moments, after the time skip, she barely resembles her younger self, physically and mentally.
- Start of Darkness: It's hard to tell, but it seems this happened after Alex was killed and it just gets worse from their with each tragedy.
- Stepford Smiler: She tries to be a happy, cheerful girl, but it's clear nearly being burned at the stake and seeing a friend murdered shook her more than she wants to admit.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Not obvious at first, but as she wears dresses less and less, becomes the Tomboy to Monica's Girly Girl.
- Unskilled, but Strong: She is incredibly powerful, but has trouble getting her spells right.
A young witch and the twin of Dani. He's more bookish, studious, and socially awkward than she is, although he's better at controlling at his magic.
- Adorkable: His attempts at making friends.
- Ambiguous Situation: Post time skip. Is he alive or dead? As it turns out, he is.
- Badass Adorable: Like Dani, he's a cute kid, and incredibly powerful.
- Badass Bookworm: He loves to read. He can also memorize any spell hes read, and perform it almost perfectly on the first try.
- Barbarian Long Hair: When hes first found after being comatose for three years.
- Berserk Button: Just try to hurt his loved ones, especially Dani or Monica.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Like Dani, Dorian is a sweet kid, but dont hurt his loved ones. He seriously contemplates black magic when he sees Dani about to be burned at the stake.
- Big Brother Instinct: Well, more like twin brother instinct, but the first hint that he could possibly become the king of witches happens when he attacks the soldiers that injured Dani.
- Big Little Brother: After the time skip, his growth spurt makes him look older and taller than Damien
- Break the Cutie: The series just seems out to get him.
- The Chosen One: Deconstructed. The prophecy that involves either him or Dani is not about saving the world, it's about which one will go bad and become the King of Witches.
- Creepy Child: He has his moments.
- Curtains Match the Window: Black hair and eyes, like his sister.
- Cute Witch: Just like Dani.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Like his sister, wears all black, and is not evil.
- Deadpan Snarker: He can be very subtle with his insults.
- Dissonant Serenity: After Dani is badly injured and he starts an ice storm on those who hurt her, he's smiling. It creeps Monica out.
- Half-Identical Twins: With Dani.
- He Is All Grown Up: After the time skip and a haircut.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Dorian is very socially awkward, and tends to mess up social encounters easily.
- I Will Find You: After separating from Monica to get to Dani after their mom kidnaps her, he makes this promise.
- In-Series Nickname: Dorian is short for Bedorian.
- Kid Hero All Grown-Up: Slightly Averted. After the timeskip Dorian is found emaciated and barely alive, with long nails and hair, a far-cry from his old youthful self. Once he gets a haircut and some food in him he becomes quite the looker.
- Manly Tears
- Manchild: As he put himself into a coma when he was still thirteen, he worries that after the timeskip, that although he's physically sixteen, hell still have the mind of a child.
- Nothing but Skin and Bones: After he's been found comatose for three years, he looks appropriately enough half dead.
- Older Than They Look: Lampshaded after the time skip. When he asks two strangers how old he looks, they tell him 18-19. Hes 16.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Like Dani.
- Screw the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right!: When he convinces Dani to go to the Witch's Sabbath with him.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: His attack on the guards who inadvertently hurt Dani is a tad...extreme.
A young man who lives at Monicas castle and was a butler to the king, childhood friends with both William and Monica and the older brother of Dani & Dorian.
- Aloof Big Brother: To Dani and Dorian.
- Ambiguously Gay: A lot of his behavior around William seems to suggest a crush, but its unconfirmed. Things are made even more confusing when Damien wakes William with "true love's kiss" after giving another character a speech about how they didn't necessarily have to want him romantically to wake him. Though he does express reluctance about doing it himself.
- Not so ambiguous anymore as Damien admits to William that hes in love with him and the both of them have always known that. The problem is William, who doesnt seem to know what he wants for himself.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Before the twins were born, Damien accidentally exposed that his family were Witches to the townsfolk when he was playing with other children. This culminated into riots against the Wyttes and their mother nearly burning to death on the stake, which was what triggered her Sanity Slippage and utter despise of humans.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Like most witches, wears all black, but isnt evil.
- Gone Horribly Right: It was his plan to make a perfect double for Dorian so the King would assume hes been executed, that way the actual Dorian could save their sister without having to worry about mobs attacking him. It worked way too well as not only does everyone else think hes dead, but so does Dani.
- Heroic Albino: He has white hair and pale blue eyes.
- Mystical White Hair: Is a witch with white hair.Which makes him stand out amongst his family as the rest of the Wyttes have jet black hair.
- Not So Stoic: Damian always has a straight face. Until you make him lose his temper.
- Tsundere: This is usually with William, it seems he has slight tsundere tendencies as he gets embarrassed + angry with affection and can even go as far as hitting William for trying to kiss him.
- Luminescent Blush: Damien can always been seen being unnerved by small factors, blushing easily to lots of things throughout hooky; particularly around William.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: Is very emotionally distant and cold, but really has soft spots for William, Monica, and his younger siblings, Dani and Dorian.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: He was a happy kid, and then he was outed as a witch, which led to his mom being burned at the stake. Even though she survived, the experience drove her mad, leading his parents to revenge.
A clairvoyant that takes in Dani and Dorian as his apprentices initially.
- The Atoner: Because No Good Deed Goes Unpunished, Nico's mother was executed for being a suspected witch when he healed a fatally ill Nico and she chose not to reveal her benefactor.
- Heel Realization: He comes to one when he realized that fatally poisoning Dorian (unsuccessfully) did not achieve anything at all.
- The Mentor: Downplayed. While he seems to do very little teaching beyond expository levels of magic, he is a greater clairvoyant than witch, and clairvoyance can't be trained like ordinary magic. He also wasn't initially planning on having apprentices for very long, after all.
- My Greatest Failure: Being unable to bring himself to kill two children in cold-blood to avert a bloody schism between witches and non-magicals.
- Parental Substitute As People: Despite his good intentions, he completely holds Nico at arms-length due to feeling complicit in his mother's death for being a witch, which resulted in their estrangement. In fact, he even fails to recognize that Nico is a clairvoyant like himself.
- Precrime Arrest: Plans to kill both Dani and Dorian before either of them can become the King of Witches.
- Wouldn't Hurt a Child: Despite his initial plans and opportunities to kill two children in cold blood to prevent the rise of the King of Witches, he cannot bring himself to do so. Ultimately averted when he fatally poisons Dorian before the time skip.
A princess who comes to Pendragon to study. She starts off spoiled and wanting to find her betrothed, William, but soon learns what a hero really is.
- Arranged Marriage: With Prince William.
- Break the Cutie: She gets involved in the witches' uprising, gets told of a day prophecy involving two of her friends, and sees her parents murdered.
- Break the Haughty: She's at first haughty and rude, but after she gets trapped in a tower and needs to be rescued she is less full of herself.
- Character Development: Monica goes from spoiled and prejudiced against witches, to a more worldly girl who uses magic herself and eventually calls herself a witch.
- Distressed Damsel: Monica wants to be a hero at first, but she undergoes a huge Break the Haughty when she gets trapped in a tower and needs to be rescued.
- Fantastic Racism: She starts off as prejudiced against witches, but eventually grows out of it.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Once she accepts her feelings for Dorian, Monica is this with William. Even though their engagement is now for political reasons, theyre still Childhood Friends and care for each greatly. And even though theres no longer any romantic feelings between the two of them, Monica and William are okay with going forward with marriage for the kingdoms sake.
- Hidden Depths: Is completely human, but after the time skip, she was able to train herself to become a witch.
- I Will Wait for You: Promises Dorian this when he goes to rescue Dani. But since he's gone missing, she's given up on him.
- Long Hair Is Feminine: She has long hair as a child, though after the time skip, it's cut to her jaw.
- The Lost Lenore: Post time skip, Dorian is this for her, as no one knows if he's alive or dead.
- Pink Means Feminine: Is very feminine and wears pink a lot. Even her hair is pink.
- Plucky Girl: Is incredibly resilient, and rarely stays broken for long.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: Is a princess, and is a major influence on the plot.
- Silk Hiding Steel: While she seems like a classic princess, when she gets Character Development, she's much braver and tougher than she looks. This is taken to ten in the time skip, when she has taught herself some magic.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: She ends up developing feelings for the sweet, intelligent Dorian.
- Thinks Like a Romance Novel: Got hooked on romance novels shortly before meeting Dani and Dorian, and started insisting against her arranged marriage with Will, believing that she should choose the person she should marry on her own and that Will wasn't 'romantic material.'
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Is the Girly Girl to Dani's Tomboy.
- Took a Level in Badass: Post time skip, she has taught herself some magic and calls herself a witch.
- Tsundere: Is very sweet, but can be prickly and abrasive, especially to Dorian. She mellows out a lot, but still retains plenty of these aspects.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has pink hair.
One of the first people Dani and Dorian meet on their journey. He lives with Pendragon.
- Born Unlucky: Nicos sadly the Butt-Monkey of the cast. He doesnt have a family, he feels unloved by his guardian, deep down he has an inferiority complex, and the girl he likes is crushing on his Childhood Friend. Not to mention Dani accidentally shrinks him and depsite all the efforts to fix it, he always finds his way back to being shrunk.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: It isn't true, but its how he sees himself.
- He's All Grown Up: Skinny, big-eared Nico is quite different post timeskip not only getting a major growth spurt and a more manly build, but also a ponytail.
- I Just Want to Be Special: Hes secretly jealous of Dani and Dorian, Dorian in particular. He truly wants to be a witch, believing Pendragon would pay more attention to him if he was. He ultimately gets his wish, as he turns out to be able to see events in the future.
- Lovable Rogue: Hes not a criminal, per se, but he certainly appears that way.
- Love Martyr: He ends up as one for Dani, post time skip. Despite her barely resembling herself after her Sanity Slippage, he stays by her side for three years.
- Manly Tears: He sheds these occasionally.
- The Promise: Nico promises to always be by Danis side. Post time skip, even though Dani has become a Broken Bird and no longer resembles her younger self, hes honored that promise.
- Sad Clown/ Stepford Smiler: Hes a joker who seems to be a happy person. Secretly, he wants to be a witch and feels abandoned.
- Undying Loyalty: To Dani. Despite what happened to her and how poorly she treated him, Nico stayed by Danis side through the 3-year time skip.
- Younger Than They Look: Depsite how he acts, hes 2 years older than the Twins. Averted after the time skip.
The local baker's son, and Dani's crush.
- Badass Normal: The Twins are Witches, Nico has clairvoyance, and Monica eventually trains herself to be a successful witch. Mark on the other hand is good at making sweets and enters every fight with just brute force.
- Big Brother Instinct: Towards the younger kids.
- Book Dumb: He was held back a year in school.
- Nice Guy: He helps the younger kids whenever he can.
- Oblivious to Love: Its not made very clear if hes aware of Danis blatant crush on him. Even if he is, hes showed no signs of reciprocating.
- Only Friend: In the past, he was this to Nico.
- Supreme Chef: His family owns a bakery, so Mark has the most cooking experience of the main cast.
- Younger Than They Look: Alex honestly thought he looked old enough to drink.
The prince who was Monica's fiance;. He disappeared early in the story.
- Ambiguously Gay: With Damien. Hours before his political wedding to Monica, William confronts Damien about whether or not hes actually happy with the engagement. Its pointed out that the both of them are well aware of how much Damien is in love with William, but William isnt too certain what he wants for himself.
- Arranged Marriage: To Monica.
- Childhood Friends: With Monica and Damien.
- Distressed Dude: His disappearance triggers Monica's whole arc, as she wants to rescue him.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: In a way, with Monica. Over the course of the series any potential romance between the two of them dwindles once Monica realizes her feelings for Dorian and Damien and Williams relationship is given more light. However, the two of them are still close Childhood Friends and theyre content with having a political marriage and giving up on other potential romances because If It's You, It's Okay.
- Like Father, Unlike Son: His father, the King, is well known for his prejudice and hatred for the Witches. William inherited none of this.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: He's a prince, and a far cry from useless.
- True Love's Kiss: How he has to allegedly be woken up from a cursed sleep. After Monica admits to not being in love with William, Damien then admits he's not "dying" to kiss William (while he's asleep; but he knows he'll wake up for sure if he does. Hinting that Damien is in love with William.