The character page for Honoo no Alpen Rose!
Jeudi a.k.a. Alicia Brandel
- Attractive Bent-Gender - Bifauxnen - Disguised in Drag: Manga only.
- Break the Cutie: The plot pretty much bends over to try breaking the little girl. And it's very, VERY close to succeed. But she pulls through more than once.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Lundi. However, it's less about them being together and more about them staying together through their hardships.
- Despair Event Horizon: She's in the border twice. First, when Lundi disappears and it's believed that he kicked it; later, when she willingly decides to leave to save Lundi and her family from Toulonchamp.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: As kind and gentle as she's blonde.
- Heartwarming Orphan
- Hospital Hottie: Anime only
- Important Haircut: Manga only
- The Ingenue
- Plucky Girl
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Her heart is only Lundi's.
- Sole Survivor: Of a plain crash, alongside Printempts. Subverted later: it turns out that her mom also survived, but nobody knew for years.
- Spanner in the Works: She ultimately manages to undo Toulonchamp's Batman Gambit to manipulate the Durants.
- Unwanted Harem: Sorta. The Count and Leon show attraction to her, but she only loves Lundi.
- Badass Normal: Stands out in a non-fighting anime for always doing what he thinks it's right and putting himself at great risk to protect Jeudi and others
- Brainy Brunette: Not booksmart (though not super Book Dumb either), but is a very fast thinker
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Jeudi, as they hook up very fast, but see Jeudi's example above.
- Knightin Shining Armor: To Jeudi. Lampshaded in the OP.
- Mistaken for Cheating: Subverted and then played straight.
- Subverted: Jeudi steps on Mathilda trying to kiss him and Lundi attempting to refuse her advances, but she doesn't even think that he's cheating. Specially because Jeudi's concerns in regards to Mathilda are VERY different.
- Played straight: she almost has an Heroic BSoD when she sees Mathilda kissing Lundi. To be fair, not only Jeudi saw them from a distance so she couldn't exactly see that it was more of a Forceful Kiss and she was still BSOD'ing after almost being killed.
- Nice Guy
- Rich Suitor, Poor Suitor: Count Germont and him. He wins at the end, obviously.
- Chekhov's Gunman: The only word Printemps can say is Alpine Rose. When he says them in front of Helene...
- Evil Detecting Bird: He once attacks Mathilda during breakfast. Mathilda immediately lampshades the trope via angrily asking Jeudi if Printempts thinks she's a bad person. (And actually, he was right: Jeudi's tea was poisoned, and Mathilda is the one who did it)
- Team Pet
Count George de Germont
- Les Collaborateurs
- Domestic Abuse: He doesn't beat up his beautiful wife, but his behavior to her is very psychologically abusive.
- I Have You Now, My Pretty: What he wants to do to Jeudi.
- Loving a Shadow: His first and eternal love was a girl named Helene. He chases Jeudi around because she's identical to her (and is her child but he doesn't know it), so she reminds him of the woman he loved but couldn't have.
- Manipulative Bastard
- Smug Snake
Countess Francoise de Germont
- Green-Eyed Monster: To Jeudi, but not because of the Count's love - it's because she envies how Jeudi says no to the Count and stands her ground.
- Love Martyr: And very, very painfully aware of it.
- Murder-Suicide: Invoked in episode 17 of the manga. In the Hostage Situation she shoots Germont, but knowing that she still loves him despite everything, she stays by him in the burning mansion.
- The Ojou
- Spoiled Sweet
Leonhardt "Leon" Aschenbach
- Childhood Friend Romance: He's in love with Jeudi, but while she cares for him greatly, she doesn't return his feelings and she ultimately chooses to stay with Lundi.
- Elegant Classical Musician: An accomplished pianist. And it plays an important role as it comes out in handy when he uses an anti-Nazi song in his "Austrian symphony" to escape from the Nazis with Jeudi.
- Guile Hero
- La Résistance: He and his parents, and his parents were killed for that.
- Teen Genius
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has lilac hair in the anime
Helene Durant aka Helene Brandel
- Calling the Old Man Out: She is very angry at her mother when she confronts her on the deals with Toulonchamp, and specially on how they separated her from Friederich and Jeudi.
- Chekhov's Gunman: She's the woman who rejected Germont's love in the past. And Germont later finds her daughter Alicia/Jeudi and also chases after her, specifically because she looks like Helene. (Though he won't know who she really is until much later.)
- Break the Cutie: She was so broken in the past that, when we finally meet her in person, she's bed-ridden and quiet, not to mention with her health in complete tatters...
- Generation Xerox: She and Jeudi are almost identical in both looks and personality.
- Ill Girl: Has a weak heart and almost non-existent eyesight. What makes this worse is that Mathilda and her father have been slowly poisoning her for a long time, so they an keep her physically weakened enough to mantain the masquerade.
- Missing Mom: Jeudi's.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: She and Friederich.
- This Is Unforgivable!:" Michel Toulonchamp, that man... I will never forgive him!"
- Chekhov's Gunman: Who knew that his Alpine Rose song would be so in-story important?
- Break the Cutie
- Disappeared Dad: Twice, and not willingly either time. The second one was forever. Waaaaaah!
- Kill the Cutie
- Landmine Goes Click: Happened to him and some of his companions in Poland.
- La Résistance
- Star-Crossed Lovers: Him and Helene.
- Walking Spoiler: And holy shit, how.
The Durant Family
- Aristocrats Are Evil: Toyed with. Mrs. Durant is a sweet person and immediately recognizes Jeudi despite not being able to take her to Helene, but Mr. Durant is much harsher due to the massive stress of the Toulonchamps being on his tail and having to face the huge consequences of having separated Helene and Friederich.
- Break the Haughty: Mr. Durant, when Toulonchamp himself shows up.
- Heroic BSoD: Mr. Durant suffers one when he finds out that Jeudi almost died and that Helene has been slowly poisoned. Then he has another (and quite more serious) when Toulonchamp makes clear that the family is totally in his hands.
- Impoverished Patrician: They were very noble and rich, now they're still very noble but they're squeezed and manipulated by Toulonchamp.
- Kick the Dog: Mr. Durant, when he accuses Jeudi of being in cahoots with Friederich and starts insulting the dead Brandel's memories. Jeudi's reaction is smacking him.
- Badass Moustache
- Chekhov's Gunman Gives Jeudi the first clues about her heritage. Later reappears with a vengeance.
- Historical-Domain Character
- Reasonable Authority Figure
- We Used to Be Friends: He and Mr. Durant.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows
- Defeat Means Friendship: Gets in a fight with Lundi, but when Jeudi shows up and it turns out she saved his sister, he befriends them.
- Jerk With Aheart Of Gold
- Promotion to Parent
- Team Dad
- What Have I Become?: When he gives in and rats Jeudi and Lundi out to get money for Clara's hospital bills, Martha calls him out.
- Disabled Love Interest: Subverted, Marie likes Lundi but she clearly never stood a chance against Jeudi.
- Ill Girl: Was in a wheelchair for years. Seeing Lundi's strength to live motivated her to get better.
- The Ojou
- Rescue Romance: Subverted, since as said above she likes Lundi but he already likes Jeudi.
- Arranged Marriage: She and Johan, though may have started to become a little fonder of him.
- Girlish Pigtails
- If It's You, It's Okay: Maybe, to Jeudi in the manga.
- Spoiled Sweet: Is childish, but not a bad person
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: In the anime her hair is dark-blue
- Crazy Jealous Guy: A little, for Liesl. He gets better, as it's more about immaturity than true crazy jealousy.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Lovable Coward
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: When he realizes it
- Chekhov's Gunman: He takes a photo of Germont shooting Hans in the border.
- Doomed by Canon: A sidenote says that Robert died in World War II due to a landmine.
- Happily Married: He and Madeleine.
- Intrepid Reporter
- Screw the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right!
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome
Mathilda Toulonchamp, alias the fake Alicia Brandel
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: in front fo Helene she's sweet as pie, but when not...
- Body Double: She poses as Jeudi as a part of her father's plans, since she's around the same age Jeudi is and has a very similar voice.
- Creepy Child
- Daddy's Little Villain: Unlike her older sister Madeleine. Subverted later, though.
- Evil Redhead: In the anime at least
- Fille Fatale: Throws herself at Lundi, only to be rejected every single time. (At least in one of them she got to plant him a Forceful Kiss.)
- High-HeelFace Turn: Averted. She hates Jeudi but willingly reveals her true nature as well as her heritage to Lundi, saying she's doing so specifically because she has taken a liking to him. (Her other reason is that Anna's huge blunder scared the crap out of her.) However, this doesn't mean she will leave her father's side...
- In the Blood: Not only her father is quite the piece of work, but she claims to be a descendant from Basil Zaharoff, the Turkish-born financier and arm dealer from World War I.
- Master Poisoner: While it's almost impossible to have her as a proper poison maker due to her extreme youth, Mathilda is still sly enough to slooooowly administer it to Helene to make her ill. She's also all but stated to have poisoned Jeudi's food, but she didn't get to finish the work.
- Manipulative Bitch
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: A pretty brutal one dealed to Jeudi"You Are Too Late. Because you haven't seen her for so long, you are not her child anymore!"
- Wounded Gazelle Gambit: When Printempts attacks her and then Lundi questions her, she throws herself crying in the arms of the very stressed Mr. Durant and briefly turns him against Lundi and Jeudi.
- Arms Dealer and Corrupt Corporate Executive
- Batman Gambit: He uses his youngest daughter Mathilda as Jeudi's Body Double, having her trick Helene into believing she is the real Jeudi - which was very easy back then, considering that Helene's non-existant eyesight doesn't let her see that Mathilda looks nothing like the grown-up Jeudi, who has been missing for a long time so nobody really knows how she would look like. Then, once Mathilda has wormed her place in Helene's affections, he black mails the Durants into doing whatever he asks them too, threatening with taking Mathilda aka the fake!Jeudi away from Helene - which will be fatal for Helene due to her Break the Cutie past and her very weak heart. (Oh, and in the manga there's the small fact that he has been slooooowly poisoning her)
- Dirty Coward
- Good Smoking, Evil Smoking
- Kick the Dog: Not only he refers very nonchalantly to how he finances all kinds of dark deals, but he punches Mr. Durant when he attempts to confront him.
- Lack of Empathy
- Manipulative Bastard
- Namesto Run Away From Really Fast: The "Death Trader"
- Nouveau Riche: Implied. The reason why he squeezes the Durants is their good social position..
- Sadistic Choice: If the Durants don't expell and kill Jeudi, "blood will be shed" in his words.
- Smug Snake
- Would Hit a Girl: Smacks Helene when she confronts him on the whole Alicia/Mathilda deal.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing
- The Maid Did It: She is an accomplice of the Toulonchamps and once drops a flower pot on Jeudi's head from the second store to try silencing her; Jeudi jumps out of the way but she still hurts her foot.
- Meido: She works as a maid in the Durant home. And as the Toulonchamps's spy and partner-in-crime.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain! - Spanner in the Works: In the manga, she tries to kill Jeudi but fails. This starts to plant the seeds of doubt in Helene's mind, helps uncover the deal with the poison and scares Matilda enough to tell Lundi who the heck she truly is...
Tarantula (real name: Jean Jacques Cortot.)
- Cain and Abel: He is Lundi's missing older brother, which puts them at odds since he works for the Count
- Cold Sniper
- Good Smoking, Evil Smoking
- Even Evil Has Standards: Refuses to work for the Count anymore when he says he wants to kill General Guisan."The Germont I knew has died to me right now!"
- Adapted Out: She didn't appear in the anime.
- Cain and Abel: The Abel to her little sister Mathilda's Cain. (Though it looks like she wants to free Mathilda from their father's influence).
- Defector from Decadence - White Sheep: The only one in tbe Toulonchamp family who is NOT manipulative or rotten.
- Happily Married: To Robert, later. Harsher in Hindsight when you recall the author's notes saying he's Doomed by Canon.
- Knowledge Broker: She seems to know quite a bit about Tarantula and drops the info she has to the heroes.
- Screw This Im Outtahere: Told this to her father at some point and left the family.
- Walking Spoiler