Sprites are a game construct provided by Sburb, intended to give players Spirit Advisors of their choice. Sprites are initially generated as a glowing orb known as the Kernelsprite, which are meant to be given form by the player; this is achieved by "prototyping" an object, or putting an object into the sprite, at which point the sprite takes on the form, attributes, powers and (if it is/was alive) mind and personality of the object.
Every sprite can be prototyped twice. Prototyping twice is optional and can be done both before and after entry into the Medium, but a sprite must be prototyped at least once before entering if the session is to be successful.
All the sprites are examples of:
- Back from the Dead: A sprite uses the form and memories of a deceased individual to create a trustworthy companion for its owner. Based on the ultimate fate of Jadesprite, it seems that prototyping a corpse as sprite actually brings it back to life, as Jadesprite serves as a living dream self for Jade's ascension to God Tier.
- Color-Coded Characters: Their colors are close to that of their player's. Later, we find out that their colors are the same that each player's corresponding Post-Scratch counterpart uses. The sole exceptions are Nannasprite, whose associated shade of blue is darker than Jane's (outside of text color), and Jaspersprite, who is slightly purpler than Roxy.
- Crutch Character: Sprites protect a young, inexperienced player from harm when they first enter the game, but a player must eventually leave them behind. It is possible to bring them back later, but as equals rather than betters. And it seems in normal sessions they ultimately die as well.
- Cryptic Conversation: ...to a point. Subverted with Davesprite, who thinks that's all nonsense and offers to answer any questions Dave wants to know.DAVE: why are we so fucking awesome
DAVESPRITE: thats the best fucking question anybody ever asked
- Exposition Fairy: To a limited extent. It seems like this is a role they share with a land's Consorts in a normal session, but the trolls largely take over the exposition role by Acts 4 & 5.
- Nannasprite and Jaspersprite introduce John and Rose to their myth arcs early on.
- Davesprite subverts the trope. He doesn't say much about Dave's arc to him on camera and actually goes and takes care of some of it himself behind the scenes when it doesn't look like Dave is going to.
- Jadesprite averts it entirely by being completely useless; Tavrisprite averts it by being Driven to Suicide immediately.
- Fog Feet: All sprites have a ghostly tail instead of feet.
- Intangible Man: Nannasprite and Jaspersprite can float through walls and leave behind an ectoplasm trail when they do. Unfortunately, they can't take things with them. We don't know if sprites prototyped from the living can do this or if it's just the "undead" ones.note
- Metamorphosis: All kernelsprites can be prototyped twice. The first time sets a form, and the second melds new traits into the sprite. Prototyping done before entry also applies to the monarchs and, in Mix-and-Match Critters form, to the imps and other monsters of the game.
- Mon: Type 2, at least until no longer needed as a Crutch Character. Once a player climbs their echeladder, they get a medallion which can be used to summon them, and the by time characters are ready for God Tier, they wander off and fade into the background, having served their purpose as a guide.
- New Powers as the Plot Demands: The powers of a kernelsprite are ill-defined, but one thing they seem to universally have is a beam attack, often augmented by summoned objects. A few have displayed other random powers at opportune times. Nannasprite can act as The Medic, Jaspersprite has Tentacle Ropes, and Davesprite ...can deface posters from a distance (though Nanna did something similar with her beams).
- Out of Focus: You can count the appearances of sprites in later acts on one hand and have fingers left over. Nannasprite is the only one who gets any significant amount of screentime.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: They are game constructs rather than proper ghosts (except for the ones who were ghosts to start with). It's notable that they show more properties of traditional ghosts than actual ghosts in the setting do.
- Spirit Advisor: They explain what the kids must do on their personal quests.
- Swirly Energy Thingy: The Kernelsprites are basketball-sized versions of these; if brought into a solo session, they take a larger form.
- Unwinnable by Design: If all sprites aren't prototyped before entering the Medium, the Battlefield doesn't reach its final incarnation, making it impossible for the Genesis Frog to grow into a new universe.
Nannasprite/Jane "Nanna" Egbert
John Egbert's sprite. Rose Tier-1 prototyped it with a giant maimed harlequin doll. After entering, the Harlequinsprite accidentally Tier-2 prototyped itself by knocking over the urn containing the ashes of Nanna, John's grandmother who was killed thirteen years earlier in the meteor collision which brought John to Earth. While certainly wise and helpful, she does strongly lean toward pranking everyone and everything.
As of the retcons, both her pre and post-retcon instances are now present within the session, the former having hidden her stowaway status until Jane met them. This alternate instance is referred to as NannaspriteX2.
- Ashes to Crashes: The first occurance of her urn being toppled provides the trope's page pictures. The second time it happens, the ashes are absorbed by John's sprite and bring her back to life, as a result of Rose's cursor suddenly dropping the Colonel Sassacre book that helped kill her due to a power outage of her part and causing a light tremor.
- A Birthday, Not a Break: Is killed by John's meteor on her 86th birthday. She is prototyped and therefore revived on her 99th, just in time for all three of her children to die, later discovering the corpse of the one who didn't come back to life.
- Eye Beams: A Shale Imp winds up on the wrong end of this when trying to steal cookies. They can also be used to levitate objects, heal people and write.
- Familiar: She's obviously tied to John, and gives him advice and aids him in combat. She fits the role of one, at least, the other Sprites are similar in nature.
- Healing Hands: She has minor versions of her Post-Scratch Self's powers, as do all the other parents. In this case, Life powers.
- Leitmotif: Nannaquin.
- Like Brother and Sister: Betty Crocker tells Nanna that she and Grandpa were supposed to get married but it's not clear if they ever felt like anything other than siblings. However, Betty Crocker's words make sense in a way after Nanna's death, when Nanna and Grandpa are mixed ectobiologically to create John and Jade.
- Mundane Utility: She used her summoned oven to bake John a meal once.
- Me's a Crowd: Her conversation with Jane reveals that two Nannasprites exist—the one from the post-retcon timeline who came aboard Jade's ship and the one from the pre-retcon timeline who was on LOWAS when John teleported it.
- Mr. Exposition: She explains to John — and by extension the reader — what the eff is going on after his house gets hit by a meteor and transported to a different dimension.
- My Future Self and Me: With the arrival of the battleship, Jane and Nanna are the only Sburb player(s) to have both of their pre/post-scratch incarnations alive in the same universe simultaneously, and the instance of Nanna from the pre-retcon timeline has revealed that she's come along too. In the post-retcon timeline, they eventually meet face-to-face.
- Never Mess with Granny: Despite being old, dead, and ghostly, she's pretty badass.
- Nice Girl: Underneath all of that prankster's gambit, she's still got the golden heart typical of the Harleybert family. She even spends her whole 100th birthday making cakes for John!
- Outliving One's Offspring: She has all three of her children die within hours of each other, on the very same day she was resurrected. Two of them come back as pseudo-immortal gods, she finds the corpse of the other, and in the retconned timeline she only has her daughter left after the native instance of John is killed when LOWAS explodes.
- Posthumous Character: For Act 1 and most of Act 2.
- The Prankster: Gets the best of John despite how you cannot hope to defeat him in a prank-off. He is simply the best there is.
- Put on a Bus: When John lost her summoning pendent, she mostly lost any ability to appear in the story outside of increasingly-rare cuts to what's happening at his house; and unlike some of the other sprites, she has no way to talk remotely. She doesn't seem to mind, though.
- She is finally out of the house and is shown alongside the other sprites after Jake awakens to his Page of Hope powers.
- She came back again when it is revealed that she came to the post-retcon timeline like Jaspersprite did.
- So Proud of You: Nanna's absolutely ecstatic at how much Joh has grown throughout his quest and that Jane has managed to tap into the potential that she had in her youth, as her fear of the Condesce retaliating brutally against her led to her living a humble and static life.
- Strong Family Resemblance: When she was younger, she looked a hell of a lot like Jade with different glasses and hairstyle. It's implied that John and Jade take after her equally, with Jade leaning towards her father and John his mother, though the sprites leave this up to interpretation.
- Summon Magic She could summon ovens to fire energy beams and streams of cookies and those spring-snake things that pop out of novelty joke cans.
- Supreme Chef: At least John seems to love her home cooking, and she has his Dad's love of random baking.
- Trickster Mentor: Being prototyped with a harlequin doll will do that to you, but considering her upbringing and ownership of a joke shop prior to her death, she may well have been like that even without the harlequin doll's influence!
- You Can't Fight Fate: She claims that no matter what John and his friends do, the world will end. At this point, it already has.
Rose Lalonde's sprite, and the only sprite double-prototyped before a player's entry. It was prototyped with the taxidermied corpse of Jaspers, her long-dead cat from childhood, and the eldritch princess doll Rose made from one of Mom's passive-aggressive gifts. He doesn't know much, because he's a cat.
During his time as a cat, he disappeared from Rose's life due to Roxy's fooling around with her appearifier. She then adopted him, naming him Frigglish after one of her mother's wizard characters. She was very attached to him, until she accidentally killed him during an appearifier experiment.
The instance of Jaspersprite native to the pre-retcon timeline was taken into the post-retcon timeline as a result of staying on LOWAS, where he eventually prototyped pre-retcon Rose into Roxy's kernelsprite. In a bout of happiness, he hugged the aforementioned sprite and prototyped himself, fusing the two into Jasprosesprite^2. While this is technically Rosesprite's second-tier prototyping, this also makes pre-retcon Jaspersprite the first sprite to achieve a third-tier protoyping.
- Adorable Abomination: He's ridiculously sweet when the time calls for it.
- Animalistic Abomination: Courtesy of being tier 2-prototyped with an eldritch princess doll.
- The Bus Came Back: He largely bows out of the narrative shortly after the kids settle in in the Mediun, but he comes back when it turned out he went and stowed away on LOWAS when John played the Breeze and as a result is unaffected by the Cosmic Retcon, just like Roxy (and Rose's corpse). He shows up to comfort Roxy at Rose's funeral, showing that he did indeed care about Roxy.
- Call-Back: Had his final resting place invaded and his body removed only for it to end up prototyped along the way, all thanks to Rose. He later returns the favor to her pre-retcon iteration after John takes LOWAS back to the retconned B2 session.
- Cat Smile: Not only does Jaspers have a cat face, the :3 shows up in his Spritelogs.
- Catchphrase: (He) doesn't know much because (he's) a cat, along with a trio of purrs.
- Chekhov's Boomerang: Turns out his disappearance meant he traveled to the Post-Scratch Universe, where he spent time with Roxy, until he died in an accident involving a book, a teleporter, a suspicious perfectly white cat, and a misguided notion to prove something. On a related note, there's the book itself. First, the setup and then the punchline 4466 pages later.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Being just a cat and having all that Sprite knowledge dumped on him makes him especially hard to understand.
- Foregone Conclusion: Between his Meaningful Rename, the fact that he was a corpse when he returned to the Beta timeline, and Roxy's freakout over the successful Appearification of the unabridged Sassacre's, his demise could be seen coming a mile off.
- Freudian Couch: Young Rose, being a fan of psychiatry, often held psychoanalysis sessions with Jaspers while he was alive.
- Furry Reminder: He's a cat, so it's pretty much destined for him to get involved in some corpse shenanigans, for example digging up pre-retcon Rose's grave and prototyping her in Roxy's kernelsprite.
- Fusion Dance: Pre-retcon Jaspersprite accidentally prototyped himself into Rosesprite, turning the two into Jasprosesprite^2.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Jaspersprite is one of the tallest kernelsprites shown, following only Becsprite when he trails his long ghost tail behind him. Compared him to Rose here.
- Leitmotif: The aptly-named Chorale for Jaspers, though it was bootstrapped into being one of Rose's themes.
- Meaningful Funeral: Despite what Rose thinks, her mother's elaborate ways of mourning the deceased Jaspers were genuine.
- Meaningful Rename: Roxy names him Frigglish, after a wizard character in her mother's book series. Said wizard got crushed by a giant book.
- Mentor Mascot: Subverted. Jaspers was Rose's pet first and doesn't consider it his place to tell her what to do, i.e. to follow her quest, and when he does suggest things to her, he's too childlike to explain it properly. This is a factor in why she goes Off the Rails.
- Mix-and-Match Critters: After being prototyped with the Eldritch Princess, he gains tentacles while retaining a cat face.
- Monster Progenitor: Not only did he provide Rose with the MEOW code that helped create Bec, but he's also the most likely candidate of being God Cat's ectobiological father.
- Morality Pet: For Rose. He's one of the few people she openly shows warmth towards. When she leaves him behind, it's a subtle but important step onto the path which leads her to becoming a pawn of Doc Scratch and the Horrorterrors. Likewise with Roxy, who immediately freaks out when he dies.
- My Future Self and Me: Assuming Jaspersprite survived the trip across the yellow yard in the retconned timeline, there are now two alpha instances of him in the B2 session due to him staying on LOWAS as it was taken into the void and out again.
- Posthumous Character: For the first three acts, at least.
- Put on a Bus: Once Rose gives him her old laptop and lets him go off and chat with Nepeta to his heart's content, he effectively exits the story.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Rose's sprite is colored pink in accordance to the color-flipping amongst the kids and their sprites, and Jaspersprite proves himself to be quite the badass when the time calls for it. He'd rather spent time chilling with his owners and eating tuna, however.
- Replacement Scrappy: In-Universe usage; he was never as fond of Roxy as he was of Rose, though he grew to love her in time.
- Tentacle Rope: They're very good as catching things from a distance, as shown when Jaspersprite was first shown. Surprisingly enough, his digging abilities are not hindered in the slightest. Rose also reveals that non-sprite Jaspers told her a "stunning SECRET" just before he disappeared. Then subverted when the "stunning SECRET" was later revealed to be "MEOW", and doubly subverted when said "MEOW" unlocked strings of mismatched letters M, E, O, and W in Rose's subconscious that connect with the base pairs G, C, A, and T. When the combination of pairs is spliced into another creature's DNA, it will give them powers just short of a GOD.
- Undying Loyalty: To the Lalondes, so much that he attempted to revive his fallen owner from the pre-retcon timeline and created Rosesprite, to Rose's utter amusement and Vriska's immense frustration.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Ends up being prototyped with Rose's Kernelsprite, which in turn is then prototyped with Rose's Eldritch Princess doll, creating Eldritch Princess Jaspers.
- Wingding Eyes: As a corpse, he has black x's for eyes.
Davesprite/Alternate Future Dave
Dave Strider's sprite. In one of her fits of dream-cloudcuckoolandery, Jade Tier-1 prototyped with a recently-slain crow accidentally impaled with a katana. Shortly after Dave's entry, another Dave from a Bad Future travelled back in time to cause things to happen properly, and then Tier-2 prototyped himself. Davesprite is obviously quite similar to Dave in personality, but having spent four months dealing with the deaths of his friends in his Bad Future made him slightly more emotional than Dave.
In the Bad Future whence he came, future-Dave had Tier-2 prototyped Lil Cal instead, an act he perpetually regretted. In the alpha reality, Dave was about to do that, but the arrival of future-Dave prevented that from happening.
Following the retcons, the alpha instance of Davesprite was killed off in the explosion of LOWAS that ended the life of the fellow instance of John. However, much like the pre-retch instance of Nannasprite, pre-retcon Davesprite was chilling on LOWAS when John warped it back to the alpha timeline.
- Always Someone Better: If you thought the original Dave had self-esteem issues, Davesprite is this for himself. Davesprite can't help but compare himself to the "real" Dave.DAVESPRITE: nobody really deserves bird dave as a boyfriend or a friend or anything its like getting one of the janky daves from the bargain bin at the dave depot
DAVESPRITE: or one of the marked down daves the day after national dave day
DAVESPRITE: its like somebody taxedermized your dave and expected you not to notice
- Alien Blood: He bleeds orange (the same color as his text), maintaining his mostly monochrome look just like Jadesprite cries green tears. Oddly, despite missing a wing, this blood is absent at the site where he lost it to Jack.
- Clones Are People, Too: Zigzagged. On the one hand, he does a lot of stuff independently of Alpha Dave, the other characters treat him as a person, and Jade even dates him for a while. On the other hand, the everyone including Davesprite still tend to think of Alpha Dave as the "real" Dave and Davesprite as the knock-off.
- Disney Death: Twice. First time, Bec Noir kills Bro and Davesprite's feathers are spread around the bloody corpse, leading us to assume both are dead, but Davesprite survived wounded. Second time, everyone in the post-retcon timeline assumes he's dead because his retconned iteration was killed when LOWAS blew up, but his pre-retcon iteration made it to the new timeline, confused at everyone suddenly thinking he's dead. Dave even lampshades and dismisses the possibility that it's a Disney death, after it's confirmed pre-retcon Davesprite is still around:DAVE: but now im at least 99% sure that davesprite is DEFINITELY dead and wont suddenly reappear as a stupid surprise or anything
- Early-Bird Cameo: While the Mayor fidgets with a surveillance console, he sees Dave's bird-infused sprite long before it appears in the comic proper. No pun intended.
- Empowered Badass Normal: Future!Dave is already an incredible fighter in his own right, but he gains some spiffy new abilities after merging with his present self's kernel sprite.
- Fusion Dance: Accidentally Tier-2 prototyped himself into Nepetasprite, becoming Davepetasprite^2.
- Future Badass: He's an alternate timeline version of Dave, who comes back to Set Right What Once Went Wrong.
- Guest Fighter: One of the 3 dateable Homestuck characters present in Namco High.
- Healing Factor: After having his wing severed by Bec Noir, he eventually completely regrew it and the gash in his torso used to store his sword healed as well over the maximum potential span of a year...at least in the pre-retcon timeline. Post-retcon, he was killed in the LOWAS explosion in accordance to the laws of paradox space and doomed entities days after Cascade, so it's unknown whether or not he managed to heal in time.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice:
- His default state as a result of being prototyped with the impaled crow.
- After his defeat by Bec Noir, he's missing his sprite form's sword and has a bandaged, bleeding wound in the place where it would normally go.
- Informed Ability: He demonstrates his sprite abilities all of once, off panel where no member of the cast could see.
- Insistent Terminology: He gets quite peeved if you imply he's not a real Dave, for understandable reasons.
- Leitmotif: Atomyk Ebonpyre, which is partially remixed into Davesprite.
- Not Quite Dead: To the point of being a Running Gag of sorts. A conversation between Dave & Terezi in Act 5 and both feathers and his pendant left at the site of their duel led people to believe that he was killed along with Bro after Jack Noir was prototyped with Bec. However, he shows up later in Act 5 on the Battlefield with a bandaged, bleeding torso and missing a wing. By a year into John and Jade's trip across the "yellow yard", he's completely healed. It's later subverted when he dies a few days after Cascade in the post-retcon timeline when he is on LOWAS when it explodes, and subverted again when it is revealed that his pre-retcon instance stowed away on LOWAS when it was warped back to canon.
- Not So Stoic: If he's genuinely upset at something, it will actually show in his conversations with the other characters. He's far more sincere with his emotions than Alpha Dave. Probably has to do with the fact that he just arrived from a Bad Future where his best friend and another good friend died.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Jade gets peeved with how John says "Dave sprite" instead of "Davesprite" (despite their conversations no longer being typed)
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Due to his cynical nature, being from a doomed timeline, and not being considered the "real" Dave, Davesprite becomes a lot more pessimistic and gains a lot more sour attitude about a lot of things. Most notably, he leaves a note for John parodying the way his departed dad used to do the same.
- You Can't Fight Fate: Living beings from a doomed timeline are destined to be slaughtered within a short period of time. Pre-retcon, Davesprite managed to evade this by prototyping himself but after the retcons began he was killed in the explosion of LOWAS shortly after the trip through the Yellow Yard began. Thankfully, having stowed away on LOWAS as John took it and its inhabitants back to the new alpha timeline, his retconning abilities have allowed pre-retcon Davesprite to take the place of his dead post-retcon instance without paradoxical consequences.
Tropes which apply specifically to Calsprite:
- Annoying Laugh: Calsprite's laugh was certainly annoying to Future!Dave, although it likely had more to do with the fact that Calsprite did nothing but laugh.
- Apocalypse Maiden: If John's venturing into his seventh gate didn't doom the timeline, Lil' Cal's prototyping sure as hell did.
- Awesome, but Impractical: Calsprite is incredibly powerful, but he doesn't shut. the. fuck. up.
- Bad Future: Future!Dave seemed to think 4 months of time looping with him was a living hell.
- Breath Weapon: He could fire hundreds of naked smuppets out of his gaping puppety maw with a beam attack.◊
- The Hyena: His dialogue consistent of nonstop chattering laughter, which drove Dave mad.
Jade Harley's sprite, and the source of both the problems facing the kids and trolls and one of their solutions to the problems. While Jade was distracted trying to enter the Medium, Becquerel Tier-1 prototyped himself into the sprite, unintentionally giving Jack Noir and all the Underlings access to his Reality Warper powers. After entry, Jade Tier-2 prototyped her deceased dream self's taxidermied body, but it initially backfired — the revived Jadesprite was thoroughly distraught about being pulled out of the afterlife and proved to be little more than a blubbering goddamn pansy.
Later, when Jade ascended to the God Tiers, she effectively merged with Jadesprite, gaining all of her powers and knowledge. See Jade's section here for tropes, as Jadesprite and Jade are virtually one and the same. For tropes applying specifically to Becsprite, see Becquerel's section here.
- Death of Personality: After Jade achieves god tier, she reanimates in her dream body... which happens to also be Jadesprite's current body, causing Jade to essentially "overwrite" Jadesprite's personality with her own.
- Why Couldn't You Be Different?: Jade "created" Jadesprite to fight, which is not really Jadesprite's strong point.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: Jadesprite finally stops crying as much and manages to get along with the similarly depressed Davesprite, only for Jade to reach godtier and erase her personality completely.
LususpritesWith the exception of Aradia, all of the trolls Tier-1 prototyped their sprites with the recently-slain corpses of their lusi, their guardians prior to entry and did not Tier-2 prototype. For tropes relating to the Lususprites, see the Lusi section here.
AradiaspriteAlone amongst the trolls, Aradia Megido did not prototype her lusus, as its corpse was unavailable. Instead, she Tier-1 prototyped her sprite with the desecrated head of the blue Frog Temple, an act which proved critical to the trolls' success. After entering, she tier-2 prototyped it with her own ghost, thus reviving herself and giving herself access to all the knowledge sprites possess (among other things); to better facilitate playing the game, she later possessed an Aradiabot constructed by Equius. When Aradia ascended to the God Tiers, Aradiasprite "died" and her robot body exploded as her consciousness was transferred to her new fully-alive God Tier body.
For tropes relating to Aradiasprite, please see Aradia's section here.
Due to John's retcon shenanigans resulting in Vriska's death being prevented, Tavrisprite has also been (mostly) retconned out of existence and replaced with Tavrosprite, as shown in Act 6 Act 6 Intermission 5's meteor-plus-Vriska recap.
- Ambiguous Gender: Referred to as it here on this page not out of any offense to people of complicated gender, but because it was a Body Horror monstrosity with no distinct gender.
- Body Horror/Came Back Wrong: To the point that it immediately committed suicide.
- Deconstruction: Of the fusion Davesprite and Jadesprite went through. And unlike Jadesprite, it can self terminate.
- Driven to Suicide: It immediately exploded, 3 panels after its creation.
- Fandom Nod: The name Tavris is a reference to the Portmanteau Couple Name some use for the ship of Vriska/Tavros (mostly because Vrisros doesn't roll off the tongue easily). Idiosyncratic Ship Naming is more common however.
- Irony/Call-Back: That Vriska herself would become a sprite prototyped from the remains of a dead troll after subjecting Aradia to that same fate. She doesn't enjoy it one bit.
- Leitmotif: iRRRRRRRRECONCILABLE
- Mind Hive: Sort of. Tavris is a fusion of Tavros and Vriska, but it has an irreconcilable personality because of that.
- Not Quite Dead: Surprisingly given how she isn't an instance native to a doomed timeline pre-retcon Vriska still exists despite her death being prevented, shown when Vriska gets into an awkward stare with Tavrisprite!Vriska and Meenah when she discovers their matespritship. Tavrisprite!Tavros' later shows up with the a ghost army to fight Lord English.
- Ret-Gone: Since John retconned Vriska's death, Tavrisprite doesn't exist as it once did, having simply being prototyped with Tavros' corpse.
- Take That, Audience!: Fans had long clamoured for Vriska and Tavros's revival. This method of revival was... unanticipated to say the least.
- Of course, they returned to being semi-important characters again, so said fans sort of half-got what they wanted.
- Wanton Cruelty to the Common Comma: "I h8te, the way, i FALTERINGLY, sPEAK OUT, my jum8led, tHOUGHTS"
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Existed for literally all of 3 panels before exploding.
As of the retconned timeline, Jake's kernelsprite has been tier 1 prototyped with Nepeta by Jasprosesprite^2, and then accidentally tier 2 prototyped with Davesprite into Davepetasprite^2.
- Butt-Monkey: Has incredible self-loathing due to his components, but Jake constantly laughs in his face about it, believing it to just be a comedic bit he's doing.
- Body Horror: An Aversion of Tavrisprite's precedent. Mind you, he still loathes his predicament, but not to the point of exploding himself like Tavrisprite did.
- Character Development: Provides some for his Eridan half when he apologizes for his actions to Fefetasprite. Somewhat inverted for his Sollux half, he seems to have reverted to a Jerkass who flatly declares that he doesn't care about anything, even as Erisolsprite is apologizing to Fefetasprite. He still seems to care for the Feferi half, as shown when Arquiusprite tries to talk with Fefetasprite.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Seems pretty fond of peppering his language with the F-bomb. Really lets one loose when Trickster Jake forces him to come along on his quest.ERISOLSPRITE: fuck you, fuck my liife, fuck liiterally evverything, fuck fuck fuck.
- Cool Shades/Nerd Glasses: Combining he shape of Eridan's glasses with the colors of Sollux's shades.
- Establishing Character Moment: He is seen Flipping the Bird the moment he sees Jake in [S] Act 6 Act 5. Apparently, he's given Jake The Bird everyday, to the point that Jake finds the gesture oddly comforting.
- Fandom Nod: The Portmanteau Couple Name for Eridan and Sollux is Erisol.
- Fate Worse than Death: Considers being forced to be with the Tricksters to be one. He thinks that it's his punishment for doing bad things when he was originally two people, but says that no one deserves this while the Tricksters just laugh at him.
- Grumpy Bear: He hates almost everyone, most of all himself.
- HeelFace Turn: The Eridan half of Erisolsprite is shown to be genuinely remorseful for killing Feferi and apologizes to Fefetasprite for it. She forgives him.
- Jerkass: Thanks to being the unholy fusion of Eridan (already a Jerkass himself) and Sollux, a guy who hated himself before being fused with someone he mutually hated and who tended to lash out at others because of it.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: When he meets Fefetasprite.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: When talking to Fefetasprite, he comments that he "can barely evven hear [hii2] owwn wword2 ovver thii2 2hriill diin of hiideou2 piink." The page in question has a bright pink background that makes it mildly difficult to read Erisolsprite's bright green text in the spritelog.
- Mind Hive: Of the same nature as Tavrisprite, though their personality combination is apparently surprisingly stable, especially given the component trolls' previous relationship. On top of that, their typing quirks are similar enough and not as conflicting as Tavrisprite's was.
- Unlike Tavris, Erisol doesn't really acknowledge Eridan and Sollux as separate people, more of personalities. Sollux seems to be the more dominant personality of the two however.
- This may partially be because Sollux was used to reconciling two reasonably different minds into one personality, due to his brain which matched his duality theme. Since he was blinded, he no longer had a bifurcated brain, but now with the addition of Eridan, he is back to old habits, and can maintain not only stability but actual merging.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: His arguing with Arquiusprite causes Fefetasprite to explode out of confusion, which means that, once again, (albeit unintentionally) Eridan has killed Feferi and Sollux indirectly provoked Feferi's death again.
- No Social Skills: Awkwardly tries to apologize to her for everything Eridan's done.
- Ret-Gone: Now that Vriska's involved, the kids and trolls have decided that prototyping either Sollux or Eridan would be an undesirable fate for anybody, the latter especially due to the continuing animosity involving his FaceHeel Turn. Jake's sprite was reserved for either Nepeta, Feferi or any of the currently living players should they die after a potential Jane-provided revival; however, Jasprosesprite^2 derailed the plan by prototyping Nepeta, who was then accidentally double-prototyped with Davesprite to become Davepetasprite^2.
- Two Beings, One Body
- Yank the Dog's Chain: Just when things start looking up for him, it all literally blows up in his face.
Akin to Erisolsprite, Fefetasprite has been retconned and was initially an unprototyped kernel; though Vriska had planned for the sprite to be used as a backup in case anyone died in the final battle, Jaspersprite prototyped this sprite with pre-retcon Rose's corpse. See Rosesprite's entry below for details.
- Body Horror: Definitely an Aversion of Tavrisprite's precedent.
- Call-Back: As the sprite of the first Lalonde was prototyped from a cat and a "princess" doll with Cosmic Horror "improvements", so the sprite of the second is prototyped from the trolls who are most like those two components — a cat-themed troll, and a sea-themed princess troll who regularly communed with the Emissary to the Horrorterrors.
- Cute Mute: Only communicates with emoticons (onscreen). Is also the combination of Nepeta and Feferi. Dear, sweet precious Fefeta.
- Driven to Suicide: Via Logic Bomb. In the Trickster sequence, she exploded after being drawn into an apologetic conflict between Arquiusprite (apologetic toward the Nepeta half) and Erisolsprite (apologetic toward the Feferi half).
- Flat Character: Probably because she never spoke or did anything other than float onscreen (unless you count her making faces in chatlogs.)
- Informed Attribute: Was very talkative, according to Roxy, but used only emoticons onscreen.
- Killed Off for Real: By her confusion and emotional trauma multiplied by Arquius's and Erisol's arguments over each other's apologies for wrongs against each of her components. The Irony of this is that in doing so, they commit the same crimes they're apologizing for: Eridan has once again killed Feferi, and Equius has once again failed to protect Nepeta.
- Mind Hive: Of the same nature as the other troll-based sprites, and like Erisolsprite, their personality combination was stable. Unlike Erisolsprite, though, the stability was no surprise, as Nepeta and Feferi have had no on-screen interaction, and were probably the "nicest" and least self-centred of the trolls.
- Ret-Gone: Fefetasprite is no more in the retconned timeline. Vriska has stated that although she is ok with the proposal to re-prototype Nepeta or Feferi, under no circumstances are two corpses to be simultaneously prototyped to create another potentially unstable Mind Hive sprite, and that she'd rather have the sprite used as a backup life for a player who is currently alive. However, Jaspersprite prototyped it with the version of Rose who died shortly after [S] Game Over, and then combined with her, creating Jasprosesprite^2.
- Satellite Character: Really, all you know about Fefetasprite is through what other characters say about her!
- Visual Pun: Also a Stealth Pun. She's a catfish!
- Also a bonus in that royalty and cats were signature things in another land filled with pyramids.
- The Voiceless: Only communicated through emoticons. She only talked around Roxy, though, as she helped her with her alcohol problems.
- The Silent Bob: What her interactions generally amount to.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Although she lasted much longer than Tavrisprite.
Post-retcon, Arquiusprite is still Arquiusprite; Vriska's reason to his unchanged prototyping being that the components' combined skills will and have proven to be immensely helpful for the gang. He is the only B2 sprite to remain the same between the two timelines (though Vriska stopped Dirk from cracking the AR like he did pre-retcon).
- And I Must Scream: ARquiusprite is trapped inside of Lil' Cal and stranded out in the middle of nowhere with the souls of Caliborn and at least half of Gamzee's soul. May god have mercy on him if he's been assimilated as a part of Lord English.
- Body Horror: Definitely an aversion of Tavrisprite's precedent, as the two components seem delighted with the result. Lil Hal loves being alive and strong, and Equius loves having an insanely powerful computer brain.
- That and AR doesn't have a body to begin with.
- Then played a bit straight when Fefetasprite appears. Lil Hal is terrified of Equius' feelings of guilt over letting Nepeta die. Dirk is unsympathetic, reminding Lil Hal that he wanted to live, and dealing with emotions like guilt is part of life.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Arquiusprite f***ing loves being STRONG, and brags about being ripped almost endlessly in his first real chat with Dirk. He also enjoys being alive!
- Call-Back: An inversion. When alive, he designed a blue-blooded robot for a dead troll with red blood that was prototyped with a kernelsprite. Now, thanks to Gamzee's own designs, he's a dead troll with formerly blue (now red) blood prototyped with a red kernelsprite and a robotic pair of shades.
- Censor Box: Lil' Hal drops Cluster F Bombs left and right, but Equius's preference against using such verbage cause a good deal of the text to get censored.
- Comically Missing the Point:ARQUIUSPRITE: I advise you to talk about your interestsARQUIUSPRITE: Like dairyARQUIUSPRITE: LivestockARQUIUSPRITE: Fine artARQUIUSPRITE: And musclesDIRK: Those are your interests.ARQUIUSPRITE: Good pointARQUIUSPRITE: I advise you to talk about my interests
- Fetish: Equius' fetishistic disdain for low bloods mixed with his now red blood.
- Foreshadowing: Shortly before the prototyping, Lil Hal and Dirk get in an argument during which Dirk nearly breaks the AR shades (pre-retcon). He relents, leaving them cracked in a familiar way...
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: Equius' squeamishness about serious curse words and preference to substitute them with syrupy euphemisms, combined with Hal's utter nonchalance about breaking out the big guns (although he and Dirk aren't outstandingly foul-mouthed by Homestuck standards), produces a distinctive profanity-mixing, self-censoring slurry.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Holds Caliborn still so Dirk can remove his soul, at the cost of his soul(s) being removed as well due to the attack's range.
- Irony: The blue blooded troll with a disdain for the low-blooded ends up on the lowest colour in the hemospectrum? Yup, that's irony.
- Which is more fitting given the person he is the sprite for.
- Mind Hive: Averted at first, until Dirk decided to use his Auto-Responder to perform a Tier-2 Prototyping. Equius and Lil Hal.
- Motor Mouth: He is coming off as one in the spritelogs since the amount of text from him outnumbers Dirk's.
- Narcissist: Comes across as this, considering the fact that his first spritelog has him bragging about his muscles and demanding that Dirk look at/touch them.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: His arguing with Erisolsprite causes Fefetasprite to explode out of confusion, which means that, once again, Equius has failed to protect Nepeta.
- No Body Left Behind: If Caliborn's claymation depiction of his fight with the kids is accurate, his sprite body disappeared when he had his soul ripped out and placed into Lil' Cal.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: It's really noticeable given every 1-2 sentences has a word censored. Yeah, this and Gosh Dang It to Heck! apply to the same character!
- Two Beings, One Body: Arquiusprite is prototyped with both Equius and Dirk's Auto-Responder.
- You Can't Fight Fate: Dirk had been trying to prevent Gamzee from prototyping his kernel (by bribing him with orange soda) but, as the Auto Responder said prior to Equiusprite appearing, it was only a matter of time. A few panels later, Gamzee gets the surprise on Dirk by first tier prototyping it behind his back. Dirk goes "Fuck It" and tosses the Auto-Responder in anyway.
- Played straight when the trickster-fied kids come to Dirk to assimilate him. Dirk is about to fight back, but Arquiusprite informs him that he'll never be happy as himself so he should go Trickster instead. Dirk being completely depressed and filled with self-loathing agrees and does it.
Tavrosprite/GCATavrospriteJane's new sprite after the retcons, Tavrosprite was the result of Vriska handling the prototypings by taking Gamzee out of the equation. With Jake's help, Vriska was able to get Tavros to grab God Cat and neutralize him via prototyping him, creating GCATavrosprite. Unlike the previous times a living being has been used to prototype a sprite that had previously had a living being used as the initial prototyping component, Tavros remains the dominant persona.
- Blessed with Suck: Prototyping God Cat gave Tavros the powers of a First Guardian. Too bad he's also part cat...and he's allergic to cats.
- Being around Jaspersprite sets off the cat allergies he mentioned in a conversation with Nepeta.
- Once again, the female hero of Prospit in a human session has her sprite prototyped with a First Guardian.
- Character Development: He's definitely getting better at acting confident, and his advice to Jake was actually working pretty well until Vriska ruined it.
- Oxymoronic Being: Being allergic to cats, Tavros can't stop sneezing constantly due to how he himself is one due to God Cat's prototyping, though he does seem to get over it somehow as the Credits show him living a happy existence again.
- Physical God: With God Cat's prototyping, Tavros is now technically a First Guardian. Unfortunately, this does not sit well with his cat allergies as mentioned above, and his sneezes manage to create huge bursts of Green Sun energy.
- Too Dumb to Live: He attempts to give Jake a reassuring hug, unaware that touching another entity will re-prototype the sprite and erase him from existence until Vriska stops him. Though In hindsight Vriska seems less concerned for Tavros' safety and more about about her plans to get God Cat prototyped.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: He never shows up at the End of Act 6 or in Act 7, though that's justified since Vriska mostly just did this to keep God Cat out of their hair. He does show up in the Credits, living with Jake and Dirk in the Consort Kingdom.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: He's become somewhat more confident than he was before his death, and attempts to help Jake with his own confidence and personality issues until Vriska ruins the moment by going on a tirade about such false hopes and saying that the Page class is a Joke Character class due to their personalities preventing their Magikarp Power from kicking in.
Rosesprite/Jasprosesprite^2Roxy's new post-retcon sprite. Rosesprite was formed due to Jaspersprite prototyping pre-retcon Rose's corpse. Her Tier-2 Prototyping was with Jaspersprite, when the other sprite desired to cuddle with her, resulting in "Jasprosesprite^2".
- Ambiguous Gender: Averted, unlike with Davepetasprite^2 below. While Rose is female and Jaspers was male, she is referred to by others using female pronouns. Jasprosesprite^2 ultimately still feels like a girl, reasoning that "cats don't have particularly deep feelings about gender, or form strong identities around the idea."
- Big "NO!": When Davesprite and Nepetasprite are prototyped into Davepetasprite^2.
- Call-Back: Rose prototyped her kernel with Jaspers in order to bring him back to life. Jaspersprite did the same with Rose's own corpse after the retcon, despite there being a live Rose.
- Jasprosesprite^2 also functions as yet another Rose/Dirk parallel, since Dirk also had to put up with a sprite that was part him, yet had absolutely no filter.
- Cats Are Mean: Thoroughly averted in the most part. Jasprosesprite^2 may say some alienating things during their bouts of hyperactivity, but she has retained Jaspers' Love You and Everybody attitude in her own, uh... "special" way.
- Cloning Blues: Strictly averted. She defers to the Rose of the retcon as the "Real Rose", and has no qualms about being a "Subordinate Rose", unlike Davesprite's own issues about the event. She even expresses some relief at becoming considered secondary.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Much to the dismay of the original Rose, Jasprosesprite may very well be the biggest nutjob in the comic. Who knew that combining a cat's mannerisms, short attention span and hyperactivity with a superpowered human could create something so beautiful?
- Didn't See That Coming: Not even Rose foresaw Rosesprite's existence because it apparently has no impact on the timeline whatsoever, or at least not as a "fortunate" event. Even Rosesprite herself, with her own seer abilities and the knowledge inherent to a sprite, is confused about what is going on.
- Distaff Counterpart: A doomed timeline Dave prototyped himself into Dave's own sprite to extend his life past what it would have been due to being a paradox, and came away with a host of issues about not being the "Real" Dave. A dead Rose from a retconned timeline was prototyped into Roxy's unprototyped kernel, by Jaspersprite (see above), and has no such issues.
- Fog Feet: As with all sprites, she had these but lost them upon their second prototyping.
- For Want of a Nail: Roxy's sprite was prototyped yet again behind everyone's back, despite Gamzee being locked away this time.
- The "Fun" in "Funeral": Her funeral is actually a Meaningful Funeral at first, and her death was very much taken as a serious Tear Jerker. Eventually, we find out that Jaspersprite dug up her grave soon after and prototyped her once LOWAS was placed back in canon.
- Fusion Dance: Merged with Jaspersprite upon the latter accidentally prototyping himself with a hug.
- Genki Girl: Jasprosesprite^2 is incredibly hyperactive and doesn't stop talking, much to the chagrin of Alpha!Rose.
- Humanoid Abomination: As a result of Jaspersprite prototyping himself, Jasprosesprite^2 takes on a fully human structure with some cat and eldritch princess elements, similar to Jadesprite. She also flickers between purple and pink rapidly, and has somehow managed to become a Reality Warper.
- Mind Hive: Her controlling persona frequently flickers between Jaspers and Rose, but in either case several bits of the other's personality will leak through, especially Jaspers'.
- Motor Mouth: Combines Rose's Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness with a Genki Girl cat personality.
- Narcissist: Describes herself as one. She explains it as the combination of Jaspers' love for Rose and, to a lesser extent, Rose and Jaspers' pre-existing narcissistic tendencies (what with Jaspers being a cat and Rose being herself).
- No Sense of Personal Space: There isn't a way to emphasise enough just how touchy-feely Jasprosesprite^2 is. She was born from Jaspers' inability to stop hugging people (and his Undying Loyalty to Rose prompting him to dig up her grave and revive her), gave Kanaya a massive nuzzle to make up for the Rose side not being able to tell her timeline's instance of Kanaya that she loved her, immediately fondles Calliope's face upon her revival and reappearance, and loves to describe people's sexual attributes with typical Rose prose. That's just the start.
- Purple Is Powerful: She's a god-tiered sprite — no sprite has been with so much potential strength since Jadesprite and the First Guardian powers she inherited from Becquerel. Additionally, because of the flipping of associated colors amongst the human players and their sprites, Rosesprite is still associated with her usual purple.
- Reality Warper: Whenever she moves quickly, Jasprosepsrite^2's body becomes slightly distorted, and she now inexplicably has the power to summon fenestrated gates.
- Sophisticated as Hell: As a result of Rose's sesquipedelian lexicon merged with Jaspers' rather limited, yet weird in a cute way one, she became a motor mouth who combines things like rhyming and cat analogies into her magnificent linguistics amongst mountains of sexual innuendo.
- Tempting Fate: Vriska states how she wants to keep the sprites as a backup revival for any of the living players just in case they die, get revived by Jane and die again. Mere minutes later, Jaspersprite shows up with the kernel he wasted on Rose's deceased pre-retcon self. Fortunately, Rosesprite's abilities means she's still able to be put to good use. However, later on after becoming Jasprosesprite^2, she sets her eyes on fully derailing Vriska's plan by prototyping Nepeta.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: Jasprosesprite^2 has all the intelligence and sheer power of Rose, the ability to warp herself around through fenestrated gates or literally warping her body somehow, and the majority of her mindscape has been overcome by Jaspers' odd affectionism and attitude. For some reason, she's also gotten into the habit of coming up with some creative ways to describe sexual characteristics.
ArquiuspriteDirk's sprite, who retains both prototyping components and all other aspects of his pre-retcon iteration. He has his own section above since the sprite hasn't been retconned into something else.
Nepetasprite/Davepetasprite^2Jake's new post-retcon sprite. Thanks to Jasprosesprite^2, Nepeta's severed head was thrown into the kernel, returning her to life. While the two of them were having an attempt at a date, Davesprite reappeared and shook hands with her, Tier-2 prototyping them into Davepetasprite^2, much to Jasprose's dismay.
- Ambiguous Gender: Like Tavrisprite, they're a combination of two people who identify as opposite genders. While Tavrisprite never had time to work through the issues this presented, Davepetasprite^2 decides to embrace both genders and the pronoun "they".
- Earn Your Happy Ending: Nepeta was brutally killed before she could avenge her friend while Dave lived through two doomed timeline on top of his depression; as Davepetasprite^2, the two find solace and purpose in the idea of "the ultimate self."
- Fog Feet: Once again, lost as a result of becoming a sprite squared.
- Fusion Dance: An accidental one between Davesprite and Nepetasprite.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: Literally; Davepeta not only gains clarity from their Heart powers, but also gains enough power to take on Lord English single-handedly.
- Humanoid Abomination: Part human, part crow, and part troll.
- Incompatible Orientation: After the Tier-2 protyping, Davepetasprite^2 is actually a lot more receptive to Jasprosesprite^2's romantic overtures than Nepetasprite. Unfortunately, while Nepeta has strong enough feelings on the matter to suppress Dave's ingrained incest taboo reaction at the thought of romancing his sister, Jaspers cannot override Rose's reciprocal horror. Jasprosesprite^2 immediately loses all enthusiasm for the courtship.
- Ship Tease: While the Dave half and Nepeta half conflict with each other in many ways, there is one thing they can agree on: They both have a crush on Karkat.
- They also give Jade a kiss goodbye before they wake her up.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: The last we see of them, they've been defeated by Lord English. While Lord English himself is defeated shortly afterward, we never see what happened to Davepetasprite^2 afterward and they aren't among Vriska's ghost army or alongside Aradia when it happens. The defeat itself is also ambiguous; it's shown in an Undertale battle screen and their HP bar remains full the whole time, making it unclear whether they were One Hit Killed so quickly the bar never updated, or just nonlethally blasted out of the way.
> Go Back
> Return to main page