open/close all folders
Portrayed by: Brittany Underwood
- Brainy Brunette: She has very long brown hair, and is a straight A-student. She even gets accepted into her top choice college early in the show's run.
- Calling Parents by Their Name: She does with her father when he returns near the end of the series.
- Calling the Old Man Out: When her father returns for the first time in 14 years, Loren rejects his attempt to reconnect with her, citing that him walking out as the reason for her cynicism and low self-esteem.
- Celeb Crush: Though it started out as just an average fangirl crush, Loren's feelings for Eddie begin to grow the more time she spends with him.
- Covert Pervert: While she is a Proper Lady throughout most of the show, there is one episode in which she dreams of herself and Eddie in an intimate setting, complete with her wearing sexy lingerie.
- Deaf Composer: At the beginning of the series, she believes that she is not good enough in her songwriting or singing abilities despite what Melissa and Nora say.
- Disappeared Dad: Her dad walked out on her and Nora when she was only four years old. She meets him again in the penultimate episode
- Doesn't Trust Those Guys: She doesnt really trust Don when he starts dating her mom, primarily due to how he shady he seems. She also feels weird about it since Don is her mom's boss and Adriana's father.
- Extreme Doormat: Loren has a bit of trouble speaking her mind about what she wants, which enables a few people to walk over her. She grows out of this as the show progresses.
- Face Your Fears: The first half of the season is focused on Loren finding her confidence in performing in public. She has backed out of many attempts even within closed doors. In the song writing contest, she actually walked off stage out of fear, only for Eddie to provide her enough confidence to get back out on stage and perform.
- Girl Next Door: A lot of people namely Eddie and Chloe see her as this.
- Groupie: She is a huge fan of Eddie's music.
- Insecure Love Interest: Following their first kiss, Loren is immediately worried about being Eddies girlfriend. This isnt helped when Chloe keeps butting in on their lives.
- Not So Above It All: While she is generally a nice person and doesn't like conflict, she pretty much despise Adriana just as much as Adriana hates her. She once trolled Adriana by telling her she kissed Eddie at her party, and gives Chloe a taste of her own medicine when she tries to reach out to Eddie.
- The Paranoiac: She describes herself as this to Eddie, which comes from being unable to trust the guys that were involved with her mom when she was a child.
- Performance Anxiety: She struggles with performing in public, which proves problematic when she is chosen for the songwriting contest. This trait begins to fade away after she wins the contest and gets closer to Eddie.
- Pursue the Dream Job: While she has had her heart on going to college since she was young, she starts to consider a possibility in pursuing a career in her music.
- Romantic Runner-Up: Following Eddies break up with Chloe.
- Shrinking Violet: She is quite shy when the series begins, but begins to open up as she gets closer to Eddie.
- Turn the Other Cheek: Even when Adriana outright insults her right to her face at the hospital, Loren restrains herself from fighting back, and instead compliments Adriana.
- You Are Not My Father: She is quick to reject her father's attempts to reconnect with her when he appears in the penultimate episode.
Portrayed by: Cody Longo
- Berserk Button: Just the mere presence of Tyler can set Eddie off.
- Beware the Nice Ones: For the most part, Eddie is a kind and friendly type of guy and gets along with a lot of people. That said, hes gotten into a few scuffles with Tyler over a number of issues, and is quick to force Lily Park out when she crosses a personal line during an interview.
- Blinded by Rage: He gives Tyler a beating after being told by Chloe that he was the one responsible for Katy's death.
- Death Glare: Hes good at giving these to both Tyler and Chloe.
- Fool for Love: He believes himself to be this. He tells Loren that he loves to be in love, and that is usually what gets him into trouble. In truth, this is one of the reasons he was unable to see through Chloes lies.
- Generation Xerox: Like his parents, he pursued his dream in music and became a successful rock star.
- Grand Romantic Gesture: He wanted to do this with Chloe, but things kept getting in the way until he decided to a more spontaneous gesture instead.
- Horrible Judge of Character: He has been in a relationship with Chloe for about a year, yet fails to see that she has been completely manipulating him for most of their relationship.
- Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places: Again, with Chloe.
- Nice Guy: Lets see; hes giving a fan a chance to get discovered, he donates a few of his presents to charity, sends food to the homeless shelters. He even lets Melissa shoot a video of him to help promote her blog after finding out it was her birthday. Eddie is as nice as can be.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Whenever he hangs out with Loren in public, his disguise consists of a hat, hoodie, and sunglasses. He also utilizes these disguises when he is on the run from the police.
- The Scapegoat: When Chloe is pushed off Maxs balcony, Eddie is targeted as being responsible due to all the evidence pointing to him and the fact that he and Chloe had a fight on the balcony before it happened.
- Serial Romeo: He admits that this is his Fatal Flaw, as he could never be with a girl without falling in love. This is subverted with Loren, as he started a casual friendly relationship with her since he was dating Chloe at the time.
- Shipper on Deck: He is supportive of Maxs relationship with Nora, as he can see how happy she makes him.
- Workaholic: He has a few shades of these.
Portrayed by: Melissa Ordway
- Bad Liar: It doesnt take long for for people to see holes in her stories about her past. And she has a tendency to slip up in her lies.
- Beauty Is Bad: She is an accomplished fashion model, but underneath that pretty figure is a rotten and selfish woman who is willing to do heinous acts to get ahead.
- Believing Their Own Lies: She firmly believes that Eddie will take her back after she has lied to him during their entire relationship and sleeping with Tyler. It takes until the last episode for her to finally realize that she will never be able to be with Eddie again.
- Also, she wormed her way into trying to be the lead dancer in Eddies music video, despite having zero talent in dancing.
- Berserk Button: Seeing Loren and Eddie together. Or when someone brings up her role in Katys death.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Whenever she is around Eddie or his close associates, she acts like a sweetheart, but to everyone else, she is downright rude and cruel. She admits to Tyler that she can be kind if she wanted, but only when it suits her.
- Break Up Demand: When Eddie demands that Chloe tells the police that he didnt push her off Maxs balcony, Chloe agrees, but only if he agreed to break up with Loren. He predictably refused, much to her shock.
- Broken Pedestal: To Eddie. He believed her to be this perfect girl, beautiful, talented, and loving. Once her lies began to unravel, he cant stand to be around her.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She immediately feels threatened when Eddie begins re-tweeting with a fan (Loren) online. Little did she know that Loren would end up winning Eddies songwriting contest. Since then Chloe always tried to get between them, going as far as to start making out with Eddie when he was talking with Loren.
- On a lesser note, she ended up injuring the main dancer in Eddies music video so she could be in the video. Granted, the dancer may have had it coming after telling Chloe she was going to enjoy grinding with Eddie, but what Chloe did could have ended that dancers career with the injury.
- Confess to a Lesser Crime: She accidentally believed that Eddie was angry at her when he came over to MK Club because he had found out that she was the one who killed his mom. Eddie only came over to confront her about the fake text Chloe sent from Lorens phone. This in turn leads Chloe to confessing everything to Eddie, though placing the blame on Tyler.
- Conflicting Loyalty: She seems to genuinely care about Tyler and is willing to work with him. That said she is shown to be quick to turn him away whenever it suits her, having thrown under the bus several times to save her own reputation.
- Consummate Liar: Its really her most defining quality. However, unlike Tyler, who is able to throw people off, Chloes lies become more detectable as the series progresses.
- Crocodile Tears: She is able to bring the tears whenever it suits her, but she can immediately change back to her cold and insulting self on a whim.
- Dark Secret: She was the driver who accidentally drove Max and Katy off the road, resulting in the latters death.
- Designated Driver: Two years ago, she drove a drunk Tyler back home from the premiere of the movie he starred in with Eddie. Due to being a bit tipsy herself from drinking, she ends up becoming a Drunk Driver, namely the one who caused the accident that took the life of Katy Duran.
- The Diva: On the rehearsal on Eddies video shoot, a lot of her true colors begin to come to light, and not in the good way.
- Do Not Call Me "Paul": She hates being called by her real name.
- Drama Queen: She is quite dramatic when she is angered or upset.
- Driven by Envy: Her drive to bring Loren down stems from being jealous over how much the latter has taken the life she believes she deserves.
- Entitled Bastard: She believes that because she worked hard to get where she is after a life of hardship (at least in her eyes), she deserves the fame and fortune of a Hollywood celebrity, despite being a cold, manipulative bitch who cares very little for others. This is one of the major factors that she wants to be with Eddie.
- Fashion Model: Before even dating Eddie, she has had a very successful modeling career.
- Foil: She is one to Loren.
- Both of their fathers left them when they were young, leaving them to be raised by their single mothers. While Loren has a loving relationship with Nora, Chloe despises her mother, blaming her for a few problems in her life, and only has her around to benefit her.
- Chloe liked Eddie because she saw him as a ticket to the fame she so desperately wanted, Loren on the other hand, was just content with getting to meet Eddie, and the fame came to her through her own actions.
- Also, Loren started out being reclusive and shy, not wanting to be in the spotlight, while Chloe has been obsessed with fame and fortune since she was a little girl.
- Forgets to Eat: She refuses to eat a lot of the food offered to her by her mother. Granted she is a model, so she must have a strict diet, but she goes a bit overboard whenever she gets depressed about Eddie.
- Freudian Excuse Is No Excuse: She uses her lower class childhood as an excuse for acting like a bitch. When she goes all diva on Eddies music video, she simply uses her mothers recent return to explain her attitude, though Eddie is quick to tell her that she cant keep using that excuse.
- Heel Realization: It takes Eddie openly refusing to breaking up with Loren to avoid being tossed into jail for Chloe to finally realize the errors of her ways.
- High Hopes, Zero Talent: She dreams of being an actress, though from the looks of a few auditions early in the series, she really doesnt have the talent for it. This is one of the reasons she is desperately trying to be with Eddie, as she believes that he will be the only person to open doors for her.
- His Own Worst Enemy: Her inability to let go of Eddie and her tendency to blame everyone else around her for her actions is what prevents her from moving ahead in the world.
- Hypocrite: When Loren begins to work with Eddie, Chloe is quick to accuse the former of trying to be a Social Climber. Loren counters this by saying Chloe is talking about herself.
- Idiot Ball: For someone who has successfully lied to the person they have been with for over a year, what kind of idiot tries to be a dancer in a music video when she has absolutely zero talent to even do a few basic dance moves?
- On a worse note, the person that Chloe ends up in a relationship with? The son of the woman whose death she was responsible for. Tyler and Jackie are quick to point out how she did not really think it through.
- If I Can't Have You : She is completely furious upon learning that Eddie was now dating Loren. When Eddie had gone missing and was believed to have pushed her off Max's terrace, Chloe was intent to sticking to the story, despite knowing he wasnt the one who did it, just so Loren couldnt get back together with him.
- Insane Troll Logic: She fully believes that Eddie will take her back, despite having completely betrayed him in the worst way possible. She is constantly told by many individuals, including Tyler, that Eddie would never, ever get back together with her, but she refuses to listen.
- It's All About Me: Its clear that Chloe is only looking out for herself. Whatever she does that involves teaming up with someone else is really focused on what will benefit her.
- Manipulative Bastard: Like Tyler, she is shown to be quite manipulative when she wants to be. She uses Daphne as a way to distract Max from investigating her, and talks her way into convincing Jeffrey to let her up into Eddie's penthouse.
- Not Helping Your Case: For someone who wants to prove herself worthy of being given a second chance, she does an extremely poor job. She stalks Eddie, insults the people around him, and tries to set up situations that will force them together.
- Obliviously Evil: She fails to see that her actions are clearly heinous.
- Operation: Jealousy: She uses Dylan Boyd to make Eddie jealous. The plan backfires spectacularly since Dylan was a big douche, even when compared to Tyler.
- The Primadonna: Most notably during the Music Video. Instead of admitting that she cant dance, she would keep talking down to the director, using her status as Eddies fiance to threaten him. She even tried to point the finger at Eddie when he is asking why she is acting out.
- Relationship Sabotage: At one point, she used Eddies phone when Loren called to get between them. And she hacked Lorens phone so she could send out a fake text describing a fake sexual relationship between her and Eddie, hoping the latter would see it and break up with Loren.
- Rich in Dollars, Poor in Sense: While she has a decent amount of wealth, there was a point in the show where she maxed out her credit card to buy Eddie a Rolex watch for his birthday as a pathetic attempt to win him back.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: When Loren gives her a taste of her own medicine, Chloe makes it her mission to break Loren and Eddie up.
- Self-Serving Memory: She says that her mother was horrible and neglectful. Though Jackie admitted to being this, Chloes statement is far from the truth; Chloe was a spoiled brat from a young age, constantly talking disrespectful to her mother. She even wrote how her mother tried to force her to a beauty pageant when she had a fever, and Jackie is quick to point out that it was Chloe who demanded to be taken to the pageant.
- Shipper with an Agenda: She sets up Max with her friend Daphne, but only because she hopes it will provide a distraction for Max, who is growing suspicions of her actions.
- Skewed Priorities: Instead of focusing on her career and her life, she puts all her efforts into winning Eddie back and ignoring any advice from people trying to help her. If she had just focused on her own career she would actually be able to move ahead without a problem.
- Slut-Shaming: Her last attempt to break up Eddie and Loren was hacking the latters phone and sending out a fake text about them having sex. Predictably, no one believes it.
- Stalker with a Crush: She shows up unannounced multiple times to Eddies penthouse, and crashes his meals at restaurants.
- Statuesque Stunner: Well, she is a model.
- Sucks at Dancing: She was so bad, that the dancing school she went to as a child gave her mom a refund, deeming her unteachable. That doesnt stop her from trying to worm her way into Eddies music video. The result only worsens her relationship with Eddie.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality
- Tall Poppy Syndrome: She hates the fact that Loren was able to connect with Eddie better than she did, and has the life she wants to have.
- Trash Talk: From their first interactions, Chloe never misses a moment when she can insult Loren, even if Eddie is in the same room.
- Trespassing to Talk: She keeps going to Eddies penthouse to talk to him, even manipulating the doorman to let her up.
- The Unapologetic: Despite her belief she is trying to be a better person, she has never actually apologized for any of her actions, notably to Jackie.
- The Unfettered: She is determined to get back together with Eddie, even if it means hurting anyone she believes is in her way.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: When she was with Eddie. She secretly injured a dancers foot to prevent her from being part of Eddies music video.
- Woman Scorned: She is perfectly content telling the police that Eddie pushed her off the ledge, simply because Eddie was with Loren instead of her.
- Your Little Dismissive Diminutive: She regularly insults Loren by calling her a little girl despite not being that much older than she is.
Portrayed by: Justin Wilcynski
- Accomplice by Inaction: He was in the car when Chloe ran Katy and Max off the road. Instead of sticking around to make sure the other people were okay, Tyler told Chloe to keep driving away. They both learn the following day that Katy died from the accident.
- At Least I Admit It: Even though hes clearly not a good person, he is willing to admit that he is a jerk, and calls out Chloe for acting high and mighty when shes just as bad as he is.
- Can't Take Criticism: One of the reasons he has failed to get a lot of roles. His egotistical attitude makes him unbearable to work with, and he tries nothing to better himself. At least till the end.
- Card-Carrying Villain: He embraces his role as the bad boy, which he uses as a way to elevate himself for different reasons.
- Childhood Friend Romance: He and Chloe went to high school together, and he never really got over her since then.
- Crazy-Prepared: After Chloe destroyed the evidence linking her to Katys accident, he managed to secretly record her admitting to the crime on his phone when she came back to gloat.
- Hated by All: Just about everyone loathes him, and it is one of the reasons it is hard for him to get acting roles.
- Heel Realization: After a final talk with Jackie and a call from Osborne about a new movie idea, Tyler realizes that his obsession with Chloe is what has kept him from being successful.
- High Hopes, Zero Talent: Played with. From whats been said, it seems that he is actually a talented actor, but his arrogant behavior makes him unbearable to work with.
- Karma Houdini: He avoids any trouble with the police regarding Katys death, and is actually on the path to redemption after realizing that his obsession with Chloe is what prevented him from actually moving on with his life.
- Manipulative Bastard: He is extremely manipulative, primarily because of the information that he has on Chloe.
- Mr. Fanservice: He has a quite of a few shirtless scenes, which show off his toned body.
- Narcissist: This guys ego is so above everyone else.
- Out-of-Character Moment: Following the break up between Chloe and Eddie, Tyler begins acting kind and friendly, seemingly turning over a new leaf, which confuses both Chloe and Jackie.
- Relationship Sabotage: His hatred towards Eddie at the start of the series is because he is with Chloe. He actively tries bringing up things Chloe has lied to Eddie, hoping the latter would break up with her after learning the truth.
- Slimeball: Everyone thinks hes this, and with good reasons. He sleeps with several woman, he flirts with married women, and oversteps on the dates of others.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Despite not getting a lot of roles, he really prides himself on being a great actor.
- Smug Snake: He is quite chipper whenever he is talking down to Eddie or anyone else who despises him.
- Stalker with a Crush: He is painted as this by many during the first half of the season, but this is subverted since Chloe is having an affair with him.
- Starving Artist: He lives in a cheap loft on the other side of town.
- Took a Level in Kindness: He briefly took this up when he became business partners with Chloe as they were both trying to get onto Osborne Silvers movie, but quickly reverted back to his Jerkass self after he realized that Osborne and Chloe were using him to get Eddie.
- Trash Talk: He enjoys talking smack about Eddie any chance he gets.
- Troll: He enjoys bringing up Eddies misfortunes to the table and mocks Max for being unable to prove that Eddie didnt push Chloe.
- We Used to Be Friends: He and Eddie worked together on a movie prior to the series, as the two were both being managed by Jake at the time. They had a falling out when Tyler became convinced that Eddie was the reason his character got killed off in the sequel. It only got worse from there when Eddie began dating Chloe, who Tyler was in love with.
- Wild Card: His tendency to not being on anyones side makes him one. He has caused problems for both Eddie and Chloe.
Portrayed by: Ashley Holliday
- Annoying Younger Sibling: To Phil. Subverted when it is revealed that they are cousins, as Melissa's mother is Lisa's sister.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: She has somewhat of a short attention span, especially when she gets into filmmaking mode. Both Loren and Adam begin to call her out on this.
- Beware the Silly Ones: She isnt afraid to defend Loren from people who talk smack at her, notably Adriana.
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: She has a few shades of this, but only because her mother is quite controlling.
- Calling Parents by Their Name: She does this so often, Loren has to point out how she should call them her mom and dad. This is later revealed to be a plot point, as both Gus and Lisa arent her biological parents, but her uncle and aunt.
- Camera Fiend: She dreams of being a film director, and uses her skills to help Loren with her music career. Whenever she is on any of Lorens sets or even at the cafe, she is ready and waiting to catch some great footage for her blog.
- Can't Get Away with Nuthin': Even after exposing Phil for stealing the tests and framing Loren, she is criticized by her mother for getting her brother in trouble.
- Can't Take Criticism: Its not that Melissa cant take it, but her mother has had a habit of criticizing everything about her, making it hard for them to have a conversation without it turning into a disagreement. Its different with others like Loren, Nora, and Adam who approach her in a more caring way, and who are focused on things that actually matter.
- Celeb Crush: She has a major crush on Ryan Gosling.
- Chekhov's Skill: Her camera skills actually comes in handy at times, as she was able to record a video of Kelly saying that she intends to remake Lorens image in order to help further their success.
- Constantly Curious: Once she learns that she has an aunt, she cant stop thinking about what happened to her.
- Deadpan Snarker: She is quick to make many snarks about others, especially when dealing with her family or Adriana.
- Determinator: Despite many protests from her parents, she is dead set on finding out anything she can about her missing aunt. Lisa even says that one thing she likes about Melissa is her will not to give up.
- The Fashionista: She is constantly trying new outfits, which is her way of expressing herself. She often times comes over to Loren's to help her decide on what to wear for special occasions.
- Forgetful Jones: After getting Loren to the concert, she forgot about her car that was left stranded in the city, and that she should have called her parents.
- Generation Xerox: She shares her biological mothers love for cameras.
- The Matchmaker: When Nora was out of town, Melissa uses Lorens phone to call Eddie and invite him to their party without her knowledge. Her plan backfires when Cam is invited as well through a mutual friend, but it ends up working out in the end when Eddie in fact did show up.
- Mommy Issues: A lot of her attitude stems from having a very strained relationship with her mother, who is always so quick to assume the worst of her
- Mouthy Kid: She talks a lot and sometimes a bit too loudly.
- No Sense of Direction: She gets Loren and Adam lost when they are driving to the songwriting contest at MK.
- Oblivious to Love: She is unaware that Adam has a crush on her early in the season.
- Plucky Girl: She is quite optimistic, even when met with a little adversity and having a tense home life. She is also the Plucky Comic Relief when paired with Loren.
- The Pollyanna: Despite having a very tense family life, she remains a very optimistic and peppy girl who sees only the best scenarios playing out.
- Positive Friend Influence: She brings out the best in Loren, always encouraging her to follow her dreams.
- Rebellious Spirit: She is quite rebellious in her actions, yet in a good way.
- Shipper on Deck: She instantly ships Loren with Eddie even before they met. She also is quick to notice Nora and Maxs attraction to each other.
- Spirited Young Lady: She is very high spirited, which is problematic for her very strict mother.
- Strict Parents Make Sneaky Kids: Melissa tells Lisa that the reason she never mentioned the concert was because based on how strict the latter has been for most of her life, she believed she wouldnt let her go anyway.
- Tell Me About My Father!: She does this with Lisa about her long lost aunt, who is later revealed to be her biological mother.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: Downplayed
- The Un-Favorite: She believes herself to be this due to how Lisa dotes on Phil.
Portrayed by: Jama Willliamson
- Berserk Button: Seeing Trent for the first time since he left her years ago is probably the angriest Nora got during the shows run.
- Doting Parent: She is extremely supportive of her daughter and her accomplishments, be it school or music.
- Everyone Has Standards: While she trusts Loren to make the right choices and is always willing to play along with Melissa shipping Eddie and Loren together, she is not exactly for Loren going to work with Eddie at his penthouse alone, which requires Loren to do a bit of convincing to ease Nora's mind.
- Foil: To Lisa as a maternal parent.
- Nora, while at times cautious, trusts Lorens judgments. Lisa is extremely strict and suspicious of Melissa, always assuming the worst about her.
- Nora is supportive of her daughters aspirations even if it is not college. Lisa, albeit unintentionally smothers Melissa and prevents her from doing thing she loves, and completely flips out at the idea of her daughter not going to college.
- Glamorous Single Mother: She has been raising Loren by herself for over 14 years after her husband walked out on them, and she was only about 23 when that happened. She has aged quite well and has a pretty decent job that supports herself and Loren.
- Good Parents: She is a good mother to Loren: She is supportive, trusting, and compassionate. She is always ready to fight for her daughters success in any way possible.
- Love-Obstructing Parents: Downplayed. She is extremely cautious when Eddie and Loren grow closer, especially after Eddie broke up with Chloe. She is afraid of Loren getting her heart broken, which stems from how much Loren was affected by her father leaving them.
- Mama Bear: When a framed Loren is on the verge of suspension, Nora is quick to defend her daughter, telling the principal that she would fight this accusation with everything she has. And when Trent returns, she is quite angered at his presence, as she did not want him hurting Loren again. Afterwards, she firmly tells Trent to never contact Loren or her again.
- Married Too Young: She was about nineteen when she got married to Trent and had Loren only a few years later.
- My Beloved Smother: She tries to get Loren to slow down when things really start to move up with her (from career to Eddie), though she slowly grows out of this.
- Open-Minded Parents: She trusts Lorens judgment, which makes her confident in her daughters decision-making. She supports Lorens desire to follow a career in music instead of college.
- Over-Enthusiastic Parents: She is extremely supportive of her daughters talent, only rivaled by Melissa. She likes to celebrate her daughters success, even if she has to tell to the clients at the clinic.
- Parental Substitute: To Melissa, and to a greater extent, Adriana.
- Ship Tease: She has a few of the moments with Max after being they are introduced to each other. After breaking up with Don, she is quick to hook up with Max.
Portrayed by: Carlos Ponce
- Brutal Honesty: He tries not to be, but he openly tells Eddie that he doesnt trust Chloe.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: He has a habit of getting very wasted at various times of the show. Ironically, he owns a bar.
- Deconfirmed Bachelor: Following Katys death, he had become this. Of course, the moment Tate family enters his family, he slowly grows out of this trope and begins to date again.
- Gut Feeling: He mentions this when he tries to explain why he doesnt trust Chloe to Eddie.
- Love-Obstructing Parents: He is quick to ask about Eddie and Lorens growing relationship. Similar to Nora, he just doesnt want to see Eddie unintentionally hurting Loren.
- Meddling Parents: He is certain that Chloe is up to no good, and despite Eddies insistence to leave it alone, he goes through with a private investigator to dig up some things about Chloe, which eventually leads to Eddie breaking up with her. Of course, Max only does it out of love.
- Papa Wolf: He is quick to threaten Tyler if he ends up hurting Eddie. And later, he threatens Chloe that he will prove that she killed his wife and have her put in jail unless she admitted to the police that Eddie didn't push her off his terrace.
- Parental Marriage Veto: He is openly opposed to Eddies intention to marry Chloe, originally because he felt the former was moving too fast, and later because he began to realize that Chloe has been telling a number of lies to Eddie.
Portrayed by: Nick Krause
- Beware the Nice Ones: He is pretty much a mellow and nice character, but he is not one to stand by and let people insult the people he cares about. This is best shown when he publicly dresses Adriana down after the latter kept trash talking Melissa.
- Dogged Nice Guy: He sometimes feels that Melissa is so focused on Lorens life and that everything comes second, which is why it takes the two some time to develop their relationship.
- Extreme Doormat: He is this during the beginning of his relationship with Melissa until both Loren and he calls her out.
- Only One Name: His last name is never revealed.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: He delivers a powerful one to Adriana when the latter calls Melissa is a loser with no life. He calls Adriana pathetic for constantly belittling Melissa because she herself has nothing going on for her. And it actually makes Adriana back off, something that not even Melissa or Loren have been able to do.
- Satellite Love Interest: Beyond being Melissa and Lorens guy friend and later Melissas boyfriend, theres nothing more to his character that is explored.
Portrayed by: Daphne Ashbrook
- Abusive Parents: At least in Chloes interpretations. In truth, she was and still is a loving mother to Chloe.
- Extreme Doormat: She lets Chloe insult her constantly, yet stands by her through her break up with Eddie. Flashbacks show this was pretty much how she was treated even when Chloe was a preteen.
- Morality Chain: She tries to be this to Chloe, and it definitely shows. Once she leaves for Fresno, Chloe begins doing even more heinous actions to break up Eddie and Loren.
- Put on a Bus: She returns home in the third quarter of the series, though makes a few appearances late in the season.
- Stage Mom: She was this to Chloe growing up. However, she was very supportive of her daughter, who was always a complete brat whenever she didnt win.
- Struggling Single Mother: Chloe sends her checks every once in a while to help with a few finances. Jackie comes to LA partly to get some help with her medical bills.
- What Were You Thinking?: She is quite baffled by Chloe's irrational actions to get Eddie back.
Portrayed by: Brandon Bell
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: with Kelly after Traci leaves to tend to a sick family member. When Eddie is believed to be dead, Jake has a moment of weakness and sleeps with Kelly.
- Brutal Honesty: He is quite blunt in his feelings about how he doesn't think Loren has what it takes to be successful in music, which gets him into a few different disagreements with Kelly and Eddie.
- Everyone Has Standards: While he usually puts Eddie's musical career above the personal issues, he does think that it would be best for Eddie to take some time off from work so the latter could recover from the breakup with Chloe.
- Manly Tears: He is breaking down when Traci is packing up and leaving for good.
- Married to the Job: His devotion to his clients and event planning certainly take up most of his time, which puts a strain on his actual marriage with Traci.
- Workaholic: As he is the manager of the hottest rock star in business, he is loaded with a lot of work to do. Eddie and Max have to tell him to relax and go home to Traci because he works so much. Eventually, he hires Tracy's old college friend Kelly to help lighten his load so he can be more focused on his house life.
Portrayed by: Shannon Kane
- Amicable Exes: Despite all that happen, Traci tells Jake that she still loves him before she leaves for good.
- Fidelity Test:
- Odd Friendship: With Tyler of all people.
Portrayed by: Grayson McCouch
- Asshole Victim: Considering that he intended to kill Ellie and frame Phil for the murder, as well as his underhanded tactics with manipulating Nora, he certainly had his death coming to him.
- Labcoat of Science and Medicine: He is regularly shown wearing these when he is in the office.
- Parental Neglect: He is this to Adriana. Despite being the parent who stayed, he works all the time and doesnt make time for her, as he is focused on his own life.
- Really Gets Around: According to Adriana, hes had a relationship with every female employee in the clinic. His lawyer even advises him to try dating outside the office.
- Romantic False Lead: For a majority of the series, he is built up to become the love interest to Nora, only for his shady actions and Max Duran's presence to get between them.
- Silver Fox: He has noticeable gray hair. Considering what goes on behind the scenes, it's no wonder.
- You Are Grounded!: When it comes to Adriana.
Portrayed by: Hunter King
- The Alibi: She is this to Phil whenever the cops are sniffing around.
- Alpha Bitch: She pretty much acts mean and rude to everyone that she believes is beneath her, but has a specific fixation toward Loren and Melissa, insulting them whenever the opportunity presents itself. She begins to fade out after going through Character Development midway through the series.
- Bad Mood as an Excuse: She often uses this excuse when fighting with her father.
- Book Dumb: It is clear she is not very smart when it comes to academics. Her getting a high score on a math test proved suspicious enough to get her questioned by the school when they learned someone hacked and stole some test answers.
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: She is quite bratty to her father, and whines when she doesnt get her way.
- The Bully: She is this to Loren and Melissa.
- Calling the Old Man Out: She is quick to call out how Don doesnt take an interest in her life. And even when she tries to connect with him and tries to be a good daughter, her father is distracted by either work or his own life. After finding out that he is being extorted by Ellie, she points out that that kind of thing wouldnt happen if he didnt get involved with every female employee at his clinic
- Crocodile Tears: She does this when she lies about Loren selling her test answers.
- Dating What Daddy Hates: She is dating Phil, who Don sees as a delinquent who is not going anywhere in life. She insists that while that may have been her intention, she did really love Phil.
- The Ditz: She is not as sharp as she makes herself out to be. There are times when she uses the wrong words to describe a situation, examples such as saying "colossal" for "collateral".
- Everyone Has Standards: Despite hating Loren, she was concerned about what Chloe intended to do with the information she gave her.
- Foil: to Loren. Both of them were raised by a hard-working single parent after the other walked out on them. However, Loren has a good relationship with her mother who openly supports and makes time for her, while Adriana has a strained relationship with her father due to him being a workaholic. Also, while Loren is a Nice Girl who is talented and academically gifted, Adriana is an Alpha Bitch who enjoys tormenting others and has very little skills. Loren even once lampshades this to Nora.Loren: Mom, a girl growing up in a fast paced, peer pressure environment with a single hard-working parent? You just described me, and I don't act like that.'''
- Freudian Excuse: It's clear her snobby and rude attitude is due to her mother walking out when she was a child and the fact that her workaholic father pays very little attention to her.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: It becomes clear that she resents Loren for being better than her, both in academics and in her future career. This doesn't get easier when Don gets involved, who wished Adriana acted more like her.
- Irrational Hatred: For a majority of the show, she has an unhealthy amount of hatred for Loren, never missing an opportunity to bring her and any around her dow. Its revealed that she is secretly jealous of Lorens talent and the fact she still has her mom who cares about her.
- Maternally Challenged: When she discovers that she is pregnant, she instantly feels ill-equipped to raise a child, though can't bring herself to abort it. This is all the more frightening to her when her dad is killed.
- Pregnancy Scare: She finds out she is pregnant after having sex with Phil a few weeks prior.
- Sour Outside, Sad Inside: She certainly acts cold and snobby, but deep down she is very lonely and feels unloved by her father.
- Speaking Like Totally Teen: She speaks like a very stereotypical teenager.
- Tall Poppy Syndrome: Adriana hates the fact that Loren is so successful with her music and how she has become so much popular than her, so she takes the time to try to make fun of her music and accused her of winning the contest through cheating/bribery.
- Volleying Insults: Does this with Melissa, who is usually the one who defends Loren.
Portrayed by: Robert Adamson
- Bluffing the Authorities: He does this with Officer Conlee frequently.
- Book Dumb: This is implied to be the reason why he hasnt graduated yet.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: He definitely has the skills and the smarts to be very successful, but finds very little value in hard work and expects to be simply handed opportunities.
- The Cracker: He managed to hack into the school's computers to get the test answers for a math test for Adriana, though not efficient enough since the school faculty are quick to discover someone was hacking the computers.
- Crime Magnet: Even before the series, Phil was known to get involved in a lot of criminal activity, but it becomes more dangerous for him as the show continues.
- Delinquents: Don certainly thinks of him as this. And with good reason.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: Even after leaving the house, he is more respectful to Lisa.
- Graceful in Their Element: He is actually pretty adept at jacking places.
- Held Back in School: He is still in high school despite being 19.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: While he is outright rude to everyone except Adriana and Lisa, he is shown to care enough about his family when they are being threatened by the criminals hes working for.
- Karma Houdini: It is implied he was this growing up, since his parents were always so focused on Melissas behavior.
- Smug Snake: Its how he acts whenever he is being accused of anything.
- Thrill Seeker: He says this is one of the reasons why he steals.
Portrayed by: Yara Martinez
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Jake following their drunken kiss.
- Innocently Insensitive:
- Only One Name: Kellys last name is never revealed during the run of the show.
- Sleeping with the Boss: She sleeps with Jake after the latter had a moment of grief learning that Eddie was seemingly killed in an accident.
Portrayed by: Brian Letscher
- Anti-Smother Love Talk: He finds himself being forced to do this with Phil multiple times.
- Chubby Mama, Skinny Papa- to Lisa
- Family Man: Everything he does is to maintain peace in his family, even if it's through a little tough love. He got himself stabbed by a crook in an attempt to get Colorado's crew to leave Phil alone.
- Gentle Touch vs. Firm Hand: Unlike his wife, he is able to deal with Melissa without things getting heated and allows her a little freedom, even if she is lying at times. On the other hand, he tries to be very firm with Phil when it becomes clear that the latter is lying to him about his crimes.
- Happily Married: Despite there being a few disagreements over what is going on with their children, his marriage with Lisa seems to have no major problems.
- Let Her Grow Up, Dear: Even though Melissas a little bit rebellious, he insists to Lisa that she is still a teenager, and that teenagers are prone to mistakes.
- Not Actually His Child: As Beth is Melissas biological daughter, Gus is not Melissas father and is the only one not biological related to her. It takes some time, but Melissa is able put that behind her and accept him as her father.
- Parental Favoritism: Its clear he doesnt seem to play favorites, but he definitely has a closer bond with Melissa than with Phil. Granted, he knows that Melissa is a good kid despite being a little irresponsible at times, as opposed to Phil who is constantly in all kinds of trouble.
- Parents Walk In at the Worst Time: He accidentally walked in on Melissa and Adam making out.
- Pushover Parents: He does go behind Lisas back a few times, and lets Melissa go hang with Loren because he trusts her.
- Self-Made Man: He started his own electronics business when he was young, which has since grown to a point where he owns several warehouses and a chain of stores in the LA area.
Portrayed by: Meredith Salenger
- Anger Born of Worry: Most of her anger and frustrations towards Melissa is out of concern that she will turn into be a delinquent.
- Because I Said So: Not that Melissa really listens.
- Calling Out for Not Calling: She does this to Melissa several times, who is constantly forgetting to call her.
- Chubby Mama, Skinny Papa- to Gus
- Doesn't Know Their Own Child: It takes her a long time for her to accept that Phil is involved in some illegal activities.
- Doting Parent: To Phil, much to Melissas annoyance.
- Education Mama: She is quick to panic when Phil is expelled from school, and she flips out when Melissa decides to forgo college in lieu of taking a once in a lifetime opportunity job at TV company.
- The Finicky One: She is extremely uptight when it comes to Melissa, always criticizing her for trying to dress differently, and panicking over the tiniest things. It becomes a bit more justified when the situations with her children get a little out of control.
- Gentle Touch vs. Firm Hand: She uses a gentle hand in dealing with Phil, while using the firm hand with Melissa. She begins to soften up on Melissa as the series progresses and the two begin to open up to each other.
- Happily Married: Despite there being a few disagreements over what is going on with their children, her marriage with Gus seems to have no major problems.
- Innocently Insensitive: Her constructive criticism is actually very hurtful, and she fails to commend Melissa for her accomplishments. She also unintentionally insults Nora for her parenting skills when they have a discussion about Adriana.
- Mama Didn't Raise No Criminal: It takes her a while to accept that Phil is involved with criminal activities, and even then, she points the fingers at the criminals like Colorado for leading him down that path, instead of seeing that Phil made those choices himself.
- My Beloved Smother: She is always sneaking around to figure out what is going on with Melissa, even going as far as going through her things.
- Nervous Wreck: To call her that would be an understatement.
- Out-of-Character Moment: When she acts more open with Melissa, and starts being friendly, which confuses Melissa.
- Parental Favoritism: She practically dotes on Phil, and lets him do about anything he wants, varying from borrowing her car to hanging out with Adriana, while acting very cold to Melissa. This favoritism and spoiling is implied to be one of the major factors of Phils attitude.
- Parental Hypocrisy: Not to Mel, but her sister Beth jokingly points out that she has become almost like their parents due to her controlling attitude.
- Parental Obliviousness: She, like Gus, have remained unaware of Phils reputation at school.
- Selective Enforcement: She focuses a lot of her attention on Mel. Given that Melissa is the daughter of her drug addict sister, it is certainly justified.
- Strict Parents Make Sneaky Kids: Melissa even states that the reason she didnt tell Lisa about going to the concert was because she was pretty certain that she wouldnt let her go otherwise.
- Where Did We Go Wrong??: She is constantly questioning how her children are making bad decisions, and feels like a failure as a parent at times.
- You Are Grounded!: She only enforced this on Melissa once.
Portrayed by: Merrin Dungey
- A Deadly Affair: Hooking up with her proved to be a big mistake for Don, who ends up getting extorted by her. She ends up killing him when he tries to find a way out.
- Asshole Victim: Its very hard to find any sympathy for Ellie getting arrested in the end. Aside from being wrongly accused of breaking into the clinic, every action she has taken during the shows run has been purely bad. She extorted Don simply because of his relationship with Nora. And leaving him to die in the clinic left a pregnant Adriana as an orphan and almost got Phil thrown in jail.
- Beauty Is Bad: She is quite attractive, but she has a rotten heart and a vindictive mind.
- "Blackmail" Is Such an Ugly Word: She uses this on Don.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Subverted. She starts out being sweet and kind, but she begins to show strong signs of sociopath behavior when things dont go her way.
- Evil Is Petty: When her job was being threatened due to the break-in, she decides to fill a sexual harassment and wrongful termination on Don. Even when Don realizes he was wrong and agrees to let her stay, she refuses to drop it.
- Fall Guy: Don considered letting her go after the clinic was broken into.
- Murder by Inaction: She ends up murdering Don by knocking him unconscious and leaving him to die in the clinics explosion.
- No Sense of Personal Space: She regularly tries to nose her way into both Don and Noras lives.
- Not Good with Rejection: She didnt respond to well when Don moved on to Nora, which eventually slipped into legal territory with Don.
- Psycho Ex-Girlfriend: She had a thing with Don sometime before the series which she hopes to restart, but Don is now after Nora. While she doesnt necessarily like it, Ellie doesnt let it affect her in the workplace. She enters the psycho stage when Don believes she was the one who broke into the clinic. She then uses her previous encounter with him to extort him.
- Sadist: She revels in pleasure as she extorts money from Don.
- The Sociopath: She has a few signs of this.
- Statuesque Stunner: Not only is she pretty, she is as tall as Don.
Portrayed by: Tina Huang
- Frenemy: To Chloe. She tries to be her friend when helping her deal with her problems, but often times Chloe lashes out at her. They end up ending their friendship when Chloe trashes Lily about the secret.
- Going for the Big Scoop: She is constantly digging around for a good story to help boost the ratings of her talk show, and is not above stepping into personal and sensitive matters.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Despite being insensitive, she does want to help Chloe as she does consider her a friend.
- The Matchmaker:
- She sets up Daphne with Max, as Chloe hoped that it would keep him occupied and not focused on her.
- She also set Chloe up with Dylan, though this was not quite a good match.
- Off the Record: She does this whenever it suits her.
- Talk Show: She has her own talk show, which she is always trying to find a way to boost the ratings.
- Token Minority: She is the only Asian character.
- Twisting the Words: She uses her interviews with others. She was the first to suspect that Loren might be interest Eddie following the break up.
Portrayed by: Rick Otto
- Bad Boss: He is not above manhandling Phil or threatening to harm his loved ones when he doesnt get his merchandise.
- Grease Monkey: While he operates in the black market, its clear he knows a thing or two about car repair.
- Mean Boss: He is content with not paying Phil for any of his jobs if he believes he did a poor job.
- Only One Name: He is only addressed by the characters as Colorado, though it's not clear if it is his surname or first name. According to a background check Gus ran on him online, it is actually not even his real name.
Portrayed by: Vince Jolivette
Portrayed by: James Franco
- Cannot Tell Fiction from Reality: How he views movies and real life,
- Celebrity Paradox: He is often called the great powerful Oz, which he gets a kick out of. James Franco at the time had been cast as the character in Oz the Great and Powerful, which was released a year after this series ended.
- Con Man: He promises to do a biography story of Chloes life to motivate her to resolve things with Eddie
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: The moment he finally gets Eddie for his Grease remake, the police arrive to arrest him for being involved in some illegal activity.
- Manipulative Bastard: He uses both Chloe and Tyler as a way to get Eddie onto his movie.
- Ship Tease: He has a few moments with Chloe, and he definitely has a thing for her.
- Think Happy Thoughts: He tries to do this with everyone he interacts with, even chastising himself for losing his temper. His motto is "There are no problems, only solutions."
- The Wonka: Eddie describes as not being one of those people who are so insane that they are brilliant. He certainly has a Wonka vibe, being distracted by a gorilla documentary, and find
Portrayed by: Wyatt Nash
- Dumb Jock: He is implied to be this, which is why she asks Loren if she could tutor him for his upcoming math test. He also didnt get a joke Loren was making about the Spanish class.
- Hopeless Suitor: He expresses a romantic interest in Loren early in the series, but as soon as Loren grows closer to Eddie, he begins to realize that they are not meant to be.
- I Just Want My Beloved to Be Happy: He eventually accepts that Loren doesnt like him.
- Just Friends: Even though he doesnt end up with Loren, he seems to be content with just being friends. He even defends Loren when Adriana asks him to join them on undermining Loren.
- "Reason You Suck" Speech: He gives one to Adriana, who tries to enlist his help in taking Loren down a peg. He insists that Adriana was being pathetic for bringing other people down just to make her feel better about herself.
Portrayed by: Gonzalo Menendez
- Good Cop Bad Cop: For the most part he acts very jovial when dealing with Phil.
Portrayed by: Eric Tiede
- Camera Fiend: He is a talented photographer
Portrayed by: Brianne Davis
- The Bartender: She runs the bar at Max club.
Portrayed by: Josie Davis
- Hopeless Suitor: To Max. She tries to connect with him, but due to him not being over Katy just yet and Nora's presence, he finds himself unable to move forward with her.
Portrayed by: Ryan Sypek
- Karma Houdini: Its unknown if he was not convicted for his actions.
- Slimeball: He is even worse than Tyler. He gropes Chloe and acts like a completely douchebag.
- Small Role, Big Impact: He doesnt spend much time on the show, but his actions kick off the final arc of the series.
- What Happened to the Mouse??: After dropping Chloe off Maxs balcony, he completely disappears from the show, and no one can get a hold of him. Max later confirms that he got attached to a movie being filmed out of the country.
Portrayed by: Rick Ravanello
- Disappeared Dad: He left Loren when she was a toddler.
- Innocently Insensitive: It's clear he is trying very hard to be apologetic when he is talking to Loren, but he ends up making things worse after making the conversation more about himself.
- Parent Never Came Back from the Store: He went out for a pack of cigarettes one day and never came back. Nora jokingly tells Ellie that the funny thing was he never smoked.