Warning: this page contains unmarked spoilers for Act 1 of Hiveswap.
For the trolls introduced in Troll Call, see here.
all lowercase, with proper grammar!
- Actual Pacifist: She tries to be this, finding ways to defeat the monsters non-violently. She feels bad when she injures and possibly kills one of them with spices.
- Ambiguously Bi: Many side comments made by Joey suggest that she may possibly be attracted to other girls despite her current stated crush being a boy. In particular, when examining Pa's scantily clad blue woman lamps she gets rather flustered, thinks about how she idolizes Clarissa a lot, and quickly loses focus when thinking about Dot from ReBoot when going over other shows she enjoys. Her Hot Steppin' poster is also a bit suspect, along with her blushing when thinking about how cool a female TV show character is. Given her age and reaction to learning Xefros is a boy who is attracted to another boy she could also be read as Ambiguously Gay and unaware of it yet.
- Androcles' Lion: Initially terrified of Dammek's lusus, a huge cat-like beast with deer's antlers, which she runs from every chance she gets. After deducing the creature is following her because it's wounded, not aggressive, she uses a vet's kit to remove a thorn from its paw. In return, the lusus allows Joey to ride on its back.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: She is accustomed to taking care of the people around her. In fact, what makes her snap out of the culture shock induced by Alternia is the realization that Xefros is in even more danger than she is.
- Dance Battler: She specialises in Ballet and Tap, though she doesn't do much actual fighting and uses it to escape instead.
- Doesn't Like Guns: She even refuses to use toy guns, let alone real ones. Given who her father is, there are a lot of guns in her house that you get to ignore, and even more in Dammek's house. Her extreme distaste for guns is probably connected to her dislike of her absent father, who is obsessed with them.
- Friend to All Living Things: She loves animals, and wants to become a vet when she grows up. Needless to say, she doesn't approve of her Pa's hobby.
- Gender-Blender Name: "Joey" is a typically male name, although it can be a shortened form of some more feminine names.
- Improbable Weapon User: Flashlight? Unusual. Tap shoes? Out there. Jar of spice? Now that's improbable.
- Leitmotif: "Joey Claire, Extraordinaire".
- Meaningful Rename: She adopted her mother's surname, Claire, in order to symbolically distance herself from her estranged father.
- Missing Mom: Clearly feels her mother's absence deeply.
- Nice Girl: While she can lash out due to how stressful things have been for her she's a very sweet girl at heart.
- Promoted to Parent: Due to their dead mother and absent father, the older Joey has had to become the woman of the house and take care of her excessively paranoid brother with only a drunk babysitter for help.
- Stepford Smiler: Yes, she's chipper and friendly, but she hides a large amount of stress and sadness due to her Pa's bad parenting.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Jude.And sometimes you feel like you should make more of an effort to relate to Jude, but he's so stupidly self-assured, and you aren't sometimes, and it's hard to be a nice big sister when you resent him for that.
ALL UPPERCASE. TERSE RAMBLING JARGON over.
- Adorkable: Insists on using "Over" to end his sentences on the walkie-talkie, a conspiracy nerd, set up a huge hamster tunnel network for his "pet" to get around their house, and obviously cares a lot about his big sister. When she finds his collection of pogs he even offers her one based on Scully in exchange for her keeping them safe.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: His conspiracy-theory nonsense annoys Joey, though she trusts him to be her Mission Control.
- The Beastmaster: He commands three carrier pigeons and a "pet" that even Joey won't go near.
- Break the Cutie: He doesn't take Frohike getting eaten by one of the monsters and Langley flat out abandoning him well. On top of that despite his begging, Joey activates the portal and is torn away from him.
- Conspiracy Theorist: Convinced, among other things, of the existence of a local cult.
- The Cuckoo Lander Was Right: He likes his spy games, but he takes the protection of his big sister seriously. If Joey had stayed in her room and ignored his advice, she might well have been killed.
- The cult Joey doesn't believe in turns out to be true as well.
- Large Ham: Frequently, especially where his pigeons Frohike and Langley are concerned.
- Leitmotif: "Jude Harley, Bizarrely".
- Mission Control: He's the one who guides Joey through the house, setting off flares to keep the monsters off her back.
- The Strategist: The first thing he tells Joey is to get out of her room and find shelter without large, vulnerable windows. About ten minutes later, he's proven right when the monsters kick down the front door. The rambling, disorganized nature of the monster attack has him convinced that they're only the vanguard of something bigger, though it remains to be seen whether or not he's right.
- Weapon of Choice: A flare gun. Unfortunately he fumbles it out of his treehouse while backing up Joey and is lost when it lights a pile of leaves on fire.
- Animal Motifs: Deer, by virtue of his lusus and horns.
- Bastard Boyfriend: He takes Xefros' stuff as if it's his own, bosses him around, and, despite rebelling against the Heiress, seems to have done absolutely nothing to convince Xefros that he's anything more than his blood color. And this is while they are in a "Moirallegiance", a platonic sort of romantic relationship for trolls where two trolls support each other emotionally.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Possibly. He's a powerful leader, but treats his moirail awfully even if he isn't intending to.
- Blue and Orange Morality: From what Xefros has said about him, he truly wants to help people, although his actions supposedly make it hard to tell.
- The Bully: To Xefros, not that he realizes this at first.
- Childhood Friends: He and Xefros have been friends "since grubhood".
- Control Freak: Judging by the fact that he has a camera in Xefros' bedroom.
- Good Is Not Nice: He's a dick to his friends and yet heads the rebellion to change how society works for the better.
- La Résistance: According to Xefros, it was all his idea.
- The Last Dance: It's implied by Xefros that Dammek is reaching the age where he'll be tested to either die or be sent off Alternia to grow up. It's likely that he's taking this as his last chance to rebel against the highbloods.
- No Name Given: His last name is unknown. Unless Dammek is his last name, which would mean his first name is unknown.
- Properly Paranoid: His house is piled with guns and has an extremely high-tech security system, but given what we know of Alternia, his concerns are absolutely justified.
- The Red Baron: Most trolls get an eight letter title when they come of age and are sent off planet, but given how Xefros refers to him as "Tetrarch" he seems to be invoking this early. A Tetrarch is a Roman title referring to one of four co-rulers of an empire, reflecting his desire to overthrow the highbloods' current empire, intent to get rid of the caste system that leaves only one ruler in charge at any given time, and in a meta sense his status as one of the series' four main characters.
- Trash of the Titans: His house is stacked with junk and laundry, and Joey finds exactly one clean dish in the entire place.Did he just... hurl a handful of eggs into the fridge and leave it like that?
A self-deprecating Ariborn who has been friends with Dammek since grubhood.
types in all lowercase letters Xcept for X. doesnt use apostrophes.
replaces the words "cross", "ten", all "ex" sounds, and the prefix "trans-" with "X".
uses smilies with an X representing his horns X:)
- Adorkable: Given how massively insecure but excitable and friendly he is it's little wonder he comes across like this. Especially when he finally beats his sport based lock for his Lusus' sloth treats.
- Animal Motifs: Sloths. His lusus is a sloth-like creature, and his last name seems to be a corruption of tri-toe, as in a three-toed sloth.
- Apologises a Lot: Including apologizing for apologizing too much.
- Batter Up!: Xefros' strife weapon of choice is a tool for his favorite sport, Arena Stickball, known as a 'cuebat'. An amalgamation of a pool stick and a baseball bat.
- Can-Crushing Cranium: Celebrates the successful unlocking of his sports vault by crushing a can of grub juice against his forehead.
- Conditioned to Accept Horror: Comes with living on Alternia. He enjoys stickball despite it being implied to be hockey in a maze full of troll-eating animals, loves his status as the goalie yet acknowledges that he's only goalie because it's the most dangerous position and he can hear dead players, and casually talks to Joey about the hemospectrum and highblood cruelty.
- Childhood Friends: He and Dammek have been friends "since grubhood".
- Cowardly Lion: He may be a scaredy-cat, but by god, if he needs to get to Dammek's hive to help Joey he will.
- Exhausted Eye Bags: They're more visible in some shots than others, but he has some clearly visible dark areas under his eyes.
- Extreme Doormat: Despite being complicit in the upcoming rebellion, he sounds quite content with his status as bottom-caste burgundy. Not to mention Dammek walks all over him on a regular basis.
- Internalized Categorism: He's quick to write off not just himself but his entire caste as "rustblood gutter trash." As much as he hates the Heiress, he seems to believe everything he's been taught about the hemospectrum. Joey is determined to convince him otherwise.
- I See Dead People: Well, he hears them, but this ability proves useful in Arena Stickball, where he's a goalie. In fact, Xefros proves that this ability is a general Rustblood thing, not just an Aradia-exclusive ability.
- Kind Hearted Simpleton: He may not be "smart or good at anything", but he's awfully friendly.
- Leitmotif: "Rustblood".
- Letter Motif: X. His name begins with X, he capitalises X's in his dialogue, as well as replacing it for certain parts of words, he uses an X to represent his horns in emoticons, and his symbol looks like the letter X as well.
- Lovable Jock: Xefros is a kind and caring individual who is also very interested in sports an even plays on a team for 'Arena Stickball'.
- Major Injury Underreaction: He really doesn't seem to react to his house collapsing on him.Xefros: i think im about to pass out from bloodloss so im gonna chill out for a little while X:)
- Mind over Matter: As a burgundy troll, he has the power of telekinesis. Also as a burgundy troll, he's pretty bad at it.
- Situational Sociability: Xefros' first interaction with Joey is less a "conversation" than "her cries for help mixed with his attempts to conform to caste protocol". After he learns Joey is also red-blooded, he calms down enough to actually talk to her.
- Stronger Than They Look: Though mostly due to the highly similar looks of the characters' body types, as well as his own generally meek disposition, Xefros has stated that he's always been strangely strong for his blood type. However, this may only be due to the sprites, as it has been mentioned by one of the creators that, were he drawn more realistically, Xefros would actually be fairly buff.
- Worth It: The extreme danger of stickball does not stop Xefros from playing it because it's one of the few things he enjoys (and because living on Alternia is dangerous anyway).
Joey and Jude's Pa/Jake HarleyWith a fondness for adventure, he's almost perpetually absent from his children's lives as a result.
(See Homestuck Guardians for more tropes about him.)
- Daddy Had a Good Reason for Abandoning You: It remains to be seen just what Pa is up to, but the machine in the attic and things only those who have read Homestuck would know would suggest the man's got some gravely important matters to attend to.
- The Ghost: Seen in photos and mentioned often, but has not appeared in the game and, at the moment, doesn't seem likely to.
- Parental Neglect: As mentioned above he never really spends time with his kids so Roxy has needed to take care of them instead when she's able to. It's also part of why Joey's so bitter towards him, while his reasons for doing this and the effect this has had on Jude are unclear so far.
A. ClaireJoey and Jude's late mother. Joey aspires to be a dancer like she was.
- Deceased Parents Are the Best: Joey's shown to think very highly of her despite having very little memory of the woman.
- Missing Mom: At least unlike their dad she has a good reason to be "missing", being dead and all.
TesseractThe kids' pet dog.
- Big, Friendly Dog: She appears to be either a Great Pyrenees or a Samoyed, and is seen happily cuddling with the kids in the beginning.
Joey and Jude's Babysitter/Roxy LalondeHired by the kids' Pa to look after them. She's a bit of a drunkard, but they like her.
(See Homestuck Guardians for more tropes about her.)
- The Alcoholic: It is Ms. Lalonde we're talking about.
- The Ghost: She's only spoken of and pictured in one photo so far. Joey implies that she had been staying with them but ran out to get groceries when the monsters attacked.
The CultA strange band of figures, who Jude despises.
- '50s Hair: She has short hair styled into a pompadour.
- Alpha Bitch: See below.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Her status as Heiress leads to her enforcing the caste system more than ever, destroying a low district for a selfie, and making people laugh at her (assumably) bad jokes.
- Big Bad: For the Hiveswap side.
- Depending on the Artist: While her appearance at the end of Act 1 shows her hair to be neatly styled, some images of her in official art or on adverts in the game's backgrounds show her with Spiky Hair. Her original concept art even had the latter hairstyle, but her 3D sprite had the former. The same goes for her lips - sometimes they're black, sometimes they're pink. Maybe she just likes to change her hairstyle and lipstick every so often?
- Doomed by Canon: There's only one heiress at a time, and the one by the time of Homestuck proper is not her. And she definitely did not manage to replace the Condesce.
- Expy: While her full personality has yet to be known, so far she seems to be one of The Condesce, and partially of Meenah (Both of whom are technically the same person). She even has the same horn shape.
- Evil Is Petty: The reason Xefros' neighborhood is being razed? She wanted to take a good selfie.
- Face Framed in Shadow: When we first catch a glimpse of her, anyway.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: She's not "Empress" yet, nor is she ever going to be, but as the Heiress she's already a bloodthirsty and vain tyrant.
- Leitmotif: "Wish You Were Here".
- Power Hair: She's in Alternia's most powerful position (And second most powerful position to The Empire) and has the short hair to show for it.
- Princesses Prefer Pink: Justified Trope, as fuchsia is the color of her royal blood.
- Royal Brat: The most "royal" of all seadwellers and a very unpleasant person.
Dammek's LususThe Cuspidated Grimalkin who acted as both a parent and steed for Dammek prior to their ward's disappearance, but grows to accept Joey in his stead.
- Androcles' Lion: Androcles' Deercat, with obligatory thorn in its paw.
- Hello, [Insert Name Here]: Named by the player, though its default nickname is "Cornibuster".
- Papa Wolf: Grimalkins are fiercely protective of their trolls, and often die defending them. The instinct is so strong that many Grimalkins adopt more than one troll over the course of their lives.
- Horse of a Different Color: If not for the saddle on it, Joey wouldn't have even thought it could be ridden.
- Mix-and-Match Critters: A deercat, according to Joey and supported by its actual species description as being a "perfect hybrid of predator and prey". Appearance-wise, it looks like a mix between a panther and a buck.
- Panthera Awesome: Seems to be a cross of sorts between a deer and a panther.
- Why Isn't It Attacking?: Joey takes one look at it and runs, since she's never seen a lusus before. The lusus itself just looks vaguely curious and tries to follow her- not out of hunger, but because it wants to investigate the strange child.
Xefros' LususThe slow and sleepy Glacial Treetrudger responsible for raising Xefros.
- Bumbling Dad: He's a kind and earnest father to Xefros, but he's incredibly slow to react to things, such as Xefros' hive collapsing. He seems to be some sort of sloth-like creature, so he can't help it.
- Call a Smeerp a "Rabbit": It's called a "Glacial Treetrudger" which looks like a cross between a Pangolin, a Bear and a Sloth, but likes "sloth treats".
- Gentle Giant: It's a humongous sloth-like creature that's one of the better lusii introduced thus far.
- Hello, [Insert Name Here]: Named by the player, though its default nickname is "Zoosmell".
- Papa Wolf: Parodied. He tries to dig Xefros out of the rocks, but he's so slow that it doesn't amount to much.
The White ManA mysterious figure who gives Xefros a new "security program" for his tablet. Trizza is possibly working with him.
- The Chessmaster: It's implied that everything he's doing for Joey and Xefros and possibly other characters is to achieve a specific goal, possibly to make sure the current Heiress does not kill The Condesce in order to keep the Stable Time Loop of Lord English's Existence.
- Exploiting the Fourth Wall: It's heavily implied he might be the hint system. Whatever his plan is, guiding the player around seems to be exactly what he wants.
- Reality Warper: The program he gives Xefros protects all his future communications from being monitored. This protection also extends to his past communications retroactively and may have always been in effect. Given that the White Man is Doc Scratch whose every move is meant to bring about the rise of Lord English, time shenanigans should be expected.
- Red Baron: This obviously isn't his name, but it's less of a spoiler than to call him Doc Scratch.
- Walking Spoiler: Obviously, hence why this isn't even under his real name. After all not only is Scratch attempting to help Xefros and Joey, he's also the only canon Homestuck character so far who's directly involved in the plot.